lexmano
10-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Two roundtrip tickets on Southwest Air, Manchester, NH to Louisville, KY $380

Four days full-size rental car $190

Four nights motel, king size bed and wi-fi in IL, MS, TN and KY $320

1300 miles worth of gas, tolls and travel costs $220

Various meals and incidental costs $250

Nine states off the Geocaching Map PRICELESS!! :D

My wife and I leave 10/18 for a quick hitting trip to bag caches in NINE states.
Before we come home we hope to have finds in Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky.

Twenty hours of drive time, not counting stops to cache, eat and necessity.

We must be crazy, but it sure is fun.

Sudonim
10-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Ya know...if you drove instead of flying, more states :D

WhereRWe?
10-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt...

But when you get back, I'd be interested to hearing your comments about caching in those states! LOL! ;);)

WhereRWe?
10-18-2008, 07:13 AM

Read the fine print: Taxes not included.

dubord207
10-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Although there's not a lot of time, you need some basic, but important knowledge before you visit these states. First of all, 3 of the 4 are "Red" states. Can you list the top four Nascar drivers competing in the Chase? Do you even know what the chase is? Do you know what scrapple is and where it comes from? Read up on it before you take the plunge at breakfast some morning.

Rental car? Let's hope it's American made and you know how much horsepower it has. I'd recommend you rent a Chevy Silverado, you'll blend in well with one of those.

Hats are of critical importance. They won't recognize the Groundspeak logo so leave that hat at home. The top three hats in Tennessee are John Deere, Cat Diesel Power and the new one that says "Sarah makes my knees knock."

And no matter what you say, don't mention to anybody that you practice law foir a living.

Don't forget to put gravy on everything you eat. Enjoy the trip. YEEEHA!:)

WhereRWe?
10-18-2008, 07:11 PM
We'll probably see excuses/explanations for this sterotypically offensive post, but...

For the record: RULOST2?'s family lives in Mississippi and Tennessee.

1. They are NOT NASCAR fans.
2. They don't care for scrapple - a Pennsylvania, New Jersey staple.
3. Only RULOST2?'s father - a disabled veteran - drives an American car - a Ford Crown Vic.
4. Hats? Just curious, but what logo is on the hat you're wearing in your avatar?
5. Yeah - we KNOW you're a lawyer. At least 75% of your posts mention it.
6. Gravy? Hmmm... Been to the deep south several times, lived in Texas and North Carolina, but never saw anyone putting gravy on everything. Confused about this one.

Team2hunt
10-18-2008, 07:20 PM
We'll probably see excuses/explanations for this sterotypically offensive post, but...

3. Only RULOST2?'s father - a disabled veteran - drives an American car - a Ford Crown Vic.
4. Hats? Just curious, but what logo is on the hat you're wearing in your avatar?
6. Gravy? Hmmm... Been to the deep south several times, lived in Texas and North Carolina, but never saw anyone putting gravy on everything. Confused about this one.

* Sheesh.!!

pjpreb
10-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Two roundtrip tickets on Southwest Air, Manchester, NH to Louisville, KY $380

Four days full-size rental car $190

1300 miles worth of gas, tolls and travel costs $220

Various meals and incidental costs $250

Nine states off the Geocaching Map PRICELESS!! :D

My wife and I leave 10/18 for a quick hitting trip to bag caches in NINE states.
Before we come home we hope to have finds in Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky.

Twenty hours of drive time, not counting stops to cache, eat and necessity.

We must be crazy, but it sure is fun.

Sounds like a really fun trip! We're jealous!!!:)

fins2right
10-18-2008, 08:16 PM

Whats wrong with gravy? It's a critical part of my 'work until I have a heart attack because by 401k just tanked' retirement strategy! :):)

All politics aside, Sarah does kind of make my knees knock. :p

firefighterjake
10-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Although there's not a lot of time, you need some basic, but important knowledge before you visit these states. First of all, 3 of the 4 are "Red" states. Can you list the top four Nascar drivers competing in the Chase? Do you even know what the chase is? Do you know what scrapple is and where it comes from? Read up on it before you take the plunge at breakfast some morning.

Rental car? Let's hope it's American made and you know how much horsepower it has. I'd recommend you rent a Chevy Silverado, you'll blend in well with one of those.

Hats are of critical importance. They won't recognize the Groundspeak logo so leave that hat at home. The top three hats in Tennessee are John Deere, Cat Diesel Power and the new one that says "Sarah makes my knees knock."

And no matter what you say, don't mention to anybody that you practice law foir a living.

Don't forget to put gravy on everything you eat. Enjoy the trip. YEEEHA!:)

Maybe you should do a write-up on how to fit in here in Maine . . . hopefully folks would see it for what it is . . . a light-hearted bit of humor . . . nothing less, nothing more.

Here are some ideas to get you started . . . again, this is all in jest.

Maine Fashion: Plaid . . . it's not just for golfers here in Maine. Red and black or green and black checkered plaid wool coats are required to fit in here in Maine . . . however you should not limit yourself to wearing them only in the Winter . . . these coats should be worn at least during the Fall, Winter, Spring and any day in the Summer when the temps fall below 70 degrees.

Maine Vehicles: Vehicles in Maine should either consist of a pick-up truck with a gunrack in it (although said gunrack may hold a gun, carpenter level or fishing rod) and at least one bumper sticker that says something about using plastic toilet paper if you're opposed to logging. Option: You may also elect to drive a Subaru . . . if it's at least ten years old, has a cracked windshield, a minimum of two rusted out wheel wells and a bad exhaust.

Maine Food: The key thing to know about Maine Palates is that everything should be bland-tasting . . . the only two spices you need in the kitchen is salt and pepper . . . unless you would count ketchup or vinegar as a spice. Also, put butter on everything . . . and if you don't put butter on said food item, douse it in either vinegar or ketchup. Note: If you order lobster at a seafood restaurant instead of clams, smelts, scallops or haddock folks will know that you are not a native Mainer.

Conversing with Maine Natives: Topics of interest to Mainers include . . . the weather, which is better: Ford or Chevy, the weather, the new restaurant in town, the weather, politics, the weather, how the garden is growing, the weather, the price of electricity, the weather, how much snow will come this winter, the weather, the price of heating oil, the weather, the price of gasoline, the weather, the newest electric generator, the weather.

dubord207
10-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Really? Did you some how come away with the impression that I was not being funny here Bruce? What side of the bed did you wake up on? And I if I do mention from time to time what I do for living, it's almost always with a "smile." The hat, Sugarloaf. What's your's say? That's a nasty post my friend to something obviously intended to be funny!

dubord207
10-20-2008, 08:46 PM
At least FFJ understood the humor in my post. Sheesh is right!

firefighterjake
10-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Just for the record, what is scrapple?

I've tried grits when I was in Emmitsburg, MD . . . tasted like salty cream of wheat to me. ;):D

Team2hunt
10-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Just for the record, what is scrapple?

I've tried grits when I was in Emmitsburg, MD . . . tasted like salty cream of wheat to me. ;):D

It's the leftover grits that is "scraped" out of the bowls after it has hardened, and then it is deep fried. Mmmmmm... :p

ltlindian
10-21-2008, 08:30 AM
I thought scrapple was bits of pig parts that was put together kinda like spam. I'll google it and find out!

ltlindian
10-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Ok we're both right--it's pig parts and cornmeal mixed together and fried.

Team2hunt
10-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Service call to repair leaky valve, on my furnace. $85.00

Service call to clean furnace. $115.00

Email from your sweetheart to remind you to make the call. PRICELESS.

WhereRWe?
10-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Really? Did you some how come away with the impression that I was not being funny here Bruce? What side of the bed did you wake up on? And I if I do mention from time to time what I do for living, it's almost always with a "smile." The hat, Sugarloaf. What's your's say? That's a nasty post my friend to something obviously intended to be funny!

Perpetuating pejorative stereotypes is never "being funny", Dan. Your comments were right up there with Don Imus's "nappy headed hoes" remark. How about if I make a remark about African-Americans liking fried chicken and watermelon. Do you think that nobody would take offense at that?

Your message was offensive. Leave it at that.

WhereRWe?
10-21-2008, 09:03 AM
At least FFJ understood the humor in my post. Sheesh is right!

Making fun of yourself is one thing. Making fun of others is another.

firefighterjake
10-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Perpetuating pejorative stereotypes is never "being funny", Dan. Your comments were right up there with Don Imus's "nappy headed hoes" remark. How about if I make a remark about African-Americans liking fried chicken and watermelon. Do you think that nobody would take offense at that?

Your message was offensive. Leave it at that.

Folks view different things differently. I too might be guilty of viewing Dan's thread as an innocent poke at southerners instead of some racist type of comments much like one might take an innocent poke at folks living in Unity only having one tooth and dating their sister cousin.

However, as I said . . . different people view things differently as we have all experienced life differently . . . what is funny to one, is offensive to others.

dubord207
10-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I wish I could respond in such a manner as to put this to rest. I was ONLY TRYING TO BE FUNNY! I wasn't trying to offend anybody. If you can take anything from this dialogue it is that my post was misunderstood. If I was making a personal attack on any group in a mean spirited manner then hang me out to dry, kick me off this site, whatever.

This was not even close the Imus's remarks. The negative response to my efforts to generate a few laughs make me wonder if I should just not post anything in the future. Life is too short for this type of animosity.

attroll
10-21-2008, 11:46 AM
I got the joke when you posted it. I guess you have to live in the south for a while to understand it. You just have to be careful because some people takes things serious sometimes.

With that said lets move on past this.

masterson of the universe
10-21-2008, 01:16 PM
I've never lived in the south nor do I actually know any of you to know your sense of humors as as I've only been to one event but I thought the post was great. People these days are waaaaaaaay to politically correct about every little thing. The world needs to lighten up or eventually will be completely mute as everyone will be afraid to speak and offend someone somewhere.

WhereRWe?
10-21-2008, 04:10 PM
. . . what is funny to one, is offensive to others.

Perpetuating stereotypes is always offensive. The fact that some find ethnic, racial or similar jokes funny does not make them appropriate in a public forum.

Gather 3 "rednecks" together to tell jokes, and they'll have a grand time laughing their butts off. But add a couple of African-Americans to that same group, and the jokes will not be funny to everyone.

In another thread, there was mention of moderators for the forums. I know that we do not currently have a moderator or I would asked that Dan's offensive "joke" be deleted with no further mention. But since it was out there in public, a joke about my wife and her family upset me and I needed to comment.

Foxgloves
10-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Perpetuating stereotypes is always offensive. The fact that some find ethnic, racial or similar jokes funny does not make them appropriate in a public forum.

I agree with you and I am not defending Dubords post by any means and maybe it was in poor taste but I’m tired of seeing flammatory posts coming from one of our very own advisory board…which might explain why you are able to get away with it time and time again and no one does anything about it.

Moderators are essential to a forum. Isn't that part of the job of an advisory board to monitor the content of posts? We don't allow spammers to post inappropriate content (their posts are automatically deleted) so why do we let our own members lash out at each other?

WhereRWe? I’ll bet if we went through all 3843 of your posts on this forum we would find many examples of rude, insulting and disrespectful posts that came directly from you so before you go and accuse others of being disrespectful…take a step back and reflect on some of your own posts over the years. You may be enlightened. How does that saying go? “do as I say, not as I do”

We all need to remember that everyone has different sensitivity levels…. Some of us have thick skin and others are very sensitive so before you start typing away…..really think about what you are about to say and if people will find it offensive.

This forum is supposed to be about finding plastic in “ them thar hills”. :rolleyes:

I mean really…. how serious can we take eachother?
Lighten up everybody and lets move on!

Mapachi
10-21-2008, 05:05 PM
If I see or read something I feel is wrong or offensive. I change the channel.

lexmano
10-21-2008, 06:28 PM
We have finished the serious driving and will be heading home tomorrow. Will get a few local Louisville caches tonight including one at Churchill Downs.

The rental car was a Pontiac G6 and was very comfortable and got about 26 mpg. The motels were all clean and comfortable and the highways generally very easy to drive.

No big numbers, we have 26 finds in nine states. The favorite cache was a Tribute Cache to Booker Noe in Clermont, KY. Booker was master distiller at Jim Beam and the cache is near a statue honoring him. We took the distillery tour, sampled some great bourbon, found the cache and I launched two new travel bugs there.

All in all a great trip. Picked up some ideas for caches, but did not see any hides that surprised us.

Hiram357
10-21-2008, 07:21 PM
We have finished the serious driving and will be heading home tomorrow. Will get a few local Louisville caches tonight including one at Churchill Downs.

The rental car was a Pontiac G6 and was very comfortable and got about 26 mpg. The motels were all clean and comfortable and the highways generally very easy to drive.

No big numbers, we have 26 finds in nine states. The favorite cache was a Tribute Cache to Booker Noe in Clermont, KY. Booker was master distiller at Jim Beam and the cache is near a statue honoring him. We took the distillery tour, sampled some great bourbon, found the cache and I launched two new travel bugs there.

All in all a great trip. Picked up some ideas for caches, but did not see any hides that surprised us.

lexmano, you're a bit off topic for this thread, try to be a little more courteous... :rolleyes:;)

I hope you took lots of pictures! I'm jealous of the distillery tour! (keep us posted on the rest of your adventure!):D

Mapachi
10-21-2008, 08:10 PM

Hey Ed, eat any scrapple or grits? I personally love both! I put an easyover egg on cheese grits with hot sauce over it all! Yummy! Oh, and a slice of Shu-Fly Pie for desert; if you please! For years I thought scrapple was a type of spicy sausage patty! No matter it's great! America's a version of Hagus.

Team2hunt
10-21-2008, 09:31 PM
To Lexmano for helping to take his innocent thread about his upcoming travels, off-topic. For this I am truly sorry. Hope you are having a wonderful, safe and happy caching trip. As I have had a few road trips with friends the adventure and stories can last for years. See you at an upcoming event.

hide_from_the_kids
10-21-2008, 09:37 PM
lexmano, you're a bit off topic for this thread, try to be a little more courteous... :rolleyes:;)

I hope you took lots of pictures! I'm jealous of the distillery tour! (keep us posted on the rest of your adventure!):D

Lexmano, it sounds like you guys are having a nice extreme caching time "down yonder". Keep having fun!

Hiram here is where someone would put in a funny pun for your statement of jealous statement. :)I wont do that but I do have a joke for ya'll::eek:

Hiram came home drunk one night, slid into bed beside his sleeping
wife and fell into a deep slumber.
He awoke before the Pearly Gates, where St. Peter said, 'You died in your sleep, Hiram..'
Hiram was stunned. 'I'm dead? No, I can't be! I've got too much to live for. Send me back!'
St. Peter said, 'I'm sorry, but there's only one way you can go back,
and that is as a chicken.'
Hiram was devastated, but begged St. Peter to send him to a farm near
his home.. The next thing he knew, he was covered with feathers,
clucking, and pecking the ground.
A rooster strolled past. 'So, you're the new hen, huh? How's your first day here?'
'Not bad,' replied Hiram the hen, 'but I have this strange feeling inside, like I'm gonna explode!'
'You're ovulating,' explained the rooster. 'Don't tell me you've never laid an egg before?'
'Never, ' said Hiram.
'Well, just relax and let it happen,' says the rooster. 'It's no big deal.'
Hiram did, and a few uncomfortable seconds later, out popped an egg!
Hiram was overcome with emotion as he experienced motherhood. He soon
laid another egg -- his joy was overwhelming.
As he was about to lay his third egg, he felt a smack on the back of
his head, and heard his wife yell.....
Hiram! Wake up!!--- Your crapping the bed!!!:D

firefighterjake
10-22-2008, 07:37 AM

If I see or read something I feel is wrong or offensive. I change the channel.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming. ;):D

EvilHomer
10-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Nice attempt at humor dubord207, but the minute I read that I knew you would ruffle someones feathers. I try not to go into the stereotypical joke book because unless you present it the right way you will ALWAYS piss someone off. LAWYER jokes anyone? :)

EvilHomer
10-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Lexmano, it sounds like you guys are having a nice extreme caching time "down yonder". Keep having fun!

Hiram here is where someone would put in a funny pun for your statement of jealous statement. :)I wont do that but I do have a joke for ya'll::eek:

He awoke before the Pearly Gates, where St. Peter said, 'You died in your sleep, Hiram..'
Hiram was stunned. 'I'm dead? No, I can't be! I've got too much to live for. Send me back!'
A rooster strolled past. 'So, you're the new hen, huh? How's your first day here?'
'Not bad,' replied Hiram the hen, 'but I have this strange feeling inside, like I'm gonna explode!'
'You're ovulating,' explained the rooster. 'Don't tell me you've never laid an egg before?'
'Never, ' said Hiram.

THATS JUST NASTY! :)

Hiram357
10-22-2008, 08:10 PM

'Never, ' said Hiram.

ughhh... yeah... that happens on those night when I drink the cheap beers with Dave... :rolleyes:

*warning: gross content alert*
If I went on the Jim Bean tour though I would probably dream I was turned into one of those play-dough factories... :eek::eek::eek::D

(I prefer the poop jokes over the sterotype ones anyday.. :D)

Mapachi
10-22-2008, 09:30 PM
So I walk into a bar iand I say to the bartender; "Give me something tall cold and full of Jack Daniels whiskey." and the bartender says "Take my wife!"

WhereRWe?
10-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Nice attempt at humor dubord207, but the minute I read that I knew you would ruffle someones feathers. I try not to go into the stereotypical joke book because unless you present it the right way you will ALWAYS piss someone off.

Thank you, Homer. You make my point exactly. :D:D

Haffy
10-23-2008, 05:35 PM
. How about if I make a remark about African-Americans liking fried chicken and watermelon. Do you think that nobody would take offense at that?

Hey I'm down here now and they DO like fried chicken and watermelon,so what's your point?...:eek:;):D Hell they don't take offense to it so why should you? They'll even tell you they like fried chicken and watermelon. I don't know what they would do without BOJANGLES down here...:rolleyes:

Haffy
10-23-2008, 05:38 PM
much like one might take an innocent poke at folks living in Unity only having one tooth and dating their sister cousin.

However, as I said . . . different people view things differently as we have all experienced life differently . . . what is funny to one, is offensive to others.

And to think I thought the one toothed sister's cousin was from Athens....:eek:

fins2right
10-23-2008, 06:30 PM
And to think I thought the one toothed sister's cousin was from Athens....:eek:
West Athens, more likely. Last years Fourth of July parade consisted of the Maine Vocals smoking on Main street and one guy walking downtown with fishnet stalkings and a sign saying "Dick Cheney needs a spanking":eek::eek::confused::confused::eek: P.S. That is a true story. His picture was in the local scandal rag, I mean newspaper.

EMSDanel
10-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Oh, the sweet memories of downtown Athens...otherwise known as Cass's Corner!

lexmano
10-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Hiram asked for some pictures, so I have uploaded 6 pictures to Along The Way.

dubord207
10-28-2008, 05:07 PM
The amount of attention this little squabble has generated is far more then one could possibly imagine. But, the amount of thoughtful and supportive comments both in regular posts and in Private Posts suggests that I have friends here, good friends who want me to remain involved so I will.

The reason for my initial reaction stems in part from the fact that this was a computer generated exchange. You don't get to look the person in the eyes, see the body language, or get a sense from the tone of the post what's really going on. This to me was not about hurt feelings but more about a lack of respect. Personal comments about my chosen career written in the context of this exchange didn't set well with me. I won't take the time it might take to defend attorneys but there are many good things we do and I'm not one of the bad guys, trust me. Guess we all can stereotype from time to time.

In one of Bruce's posts he stated "I have no desire to see Dan leave...instead I wish he'd come back." Regardless of what any of you might think, I think that post is conciliatory enough to move ahead.

I would be remiss if I didn't make a few comments about how this little riff branched out into the thread about the organization, elections, etc. First of all, I learned that these type of problems have happened before. I suggest that if it's me, or if it's somebody else that posts something on this site that you feel is offensive, then PM the person making the post and keep it from becoming a polarizing issue. Sort it out privately. I bet Bruce would agree with me that if we had chatted directly this whole debate could have been avoided.

The second important point I'd like to make is that there are a whole bunch of very thoughtful folks on this site who offered both private and public counsel to help me move ahead. You folks know who you are and I thank each of you. I've only met a few of you and have only cached for a year, but it seems a lot of you enjoy my posts and my efforts to put a humorous post here every so often. When it's my time for me to pass, I guarantee that my sense of humor will be what most folks remember about me. I got it from my dad, my grandfather though a stern judge was a funny man. I'll try to not offend folks but if I do just PM me and that will be the end of it. My bloodline is full of comedians.

As for the organization, I guess it is correctly called a bulletin board at this time. I think it could become a whole bunch more. Cachers are motivated folks and with as many people that are listed as members here, the sky is the limit if this group wanted to do more then just exchange e-mails. While I have no desire to be a board member, there are issues and areas where I could be of help. ( Oh no, he's about to mention the fact that he's an attorney again!) And yes, I have a lot of experience in working for and with non-profits so if I can help, I will. While there is merit to retaining older board members, adding some new board members might bring new enthusiasm to the group as a whole. And if the 5 current members want to stay on , why not just add 5 more? If there's something in place that sets the number as 5, propose a change to the rule, put it up for a vote and add some new blood!

So I'll hang in there because it's the right thing to do. There's no winner or loser here and to the extent that this whole discussion may have provoked some serious thought as to where GeoMaine goes in the future, then some good may have come from it. Thanks again to all of you who offered a positive direction for me to follow.:) So now on with the war of Northern Aggression........:D:D

Haffy
10-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Whoo Hoo he is back!!!! Wouldn't have expected anything less from you Dan and now time to move on. What a great site this is, is it not and if it weren't for the people who frequent this site it wouldn't be where it is today,the # 1 geocaching site in Maine... :D

hide_from_the_kids
10-28-2008, 05:26 PM
I, for one am glad that you are back!!:) i look forward to many more posts in the future from you. i do have to say that the above post, well lets just say well said.:)

Hiram357
10-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Hiram asked for some pictures, so I have uploaded 6 pictures to Along The Way.

Nice pictures! I wonder if those bottles contained original beam or if they just filled em with some new stuff cuz they were laying around empty... :rolleyes::D

Hows the rest of the trip going?

hide_from_the_kids
10-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Hows the rest of the trip going?

i believe they are back and went to an event and also placed another cache. busy man "ain't" he.

Hiram357
10-28-2008, 05:38 PM
i believe they are back and went to an event and also placed another cache. busy man "ain't" he.

back already? huh... well, I did just realize the other day that october is pretty much over... I don't wear a watch and I only have a calender because it was free! So when it comes to me and time today could be any day... :D (heck, last year I actaully had to do the math to figure out how old I was... not kidding, you can ask stef about that one) :D

so in that case... how'd the rest of the trip go??? :rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
10-28-2008, 06:08 PM
In one of Bruce's posts he stated "I have no desire to see Dan leave...instead I wish he'd come back." Regardless of what any of you might think, I think that post is conciliatory enough to move ahead.

Welcome back, Dan. I have no personal animosity for you, and am glad you understand that. Show up at the WWWWWW5 event and I'll buy you a coke...

:D:D:D

ltlindian
10-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Yay Dan! I'm glad you changed your mind!:) Welcome back!

lexmano
10-28-2008, 09:06 PM
"so in that case... how'd the rest of the trip go??"

Well Hiram, we hit the Beam factory mid-day of our last full day there. Then the rest of the day was tied up visiting quilt shops. We checked into our hotel for the last night and planned on caching in the morning. Came out to see a window smashed out of our rental car and our Garmin Nuvi stolen, the good ones were inside thank goodness.

Needless to say, no more caching as we had a bit to handle before our late morning flight.

That was not enough to ruin the trip, just a pain to deal with.

All in all 27 finds in 9 states, in just over 3 days. Lots of driving, but most of it was easy. Now we need to check out the next airfare special!!

Hiram357
10-28-2008, 09:20 PM
"so in that case... how'd the rest of the trip go??"

Well Hiram, we hit the Beam factory mid-day of our last full day there. Then the rest of the day was tied up visiting quilt shops. We checked into our hotel for the last night and planned on caching in the morning. Came out to see a window smashed out of our rental car and our Garmin Nuvi stolen, the good ones were inside thank goodness.

Needless to say, no more caching as we had a bit to handle before our late morning flight.

That was not enough to ruin the trip, just a pain to deal with.

All in all 27 finds in 9 states, in just over 3 days. Lots of driving, but most of it was easy. Now we need to check out the next airfare special!!

geeeze! was it your nuvi or was it the rental nuvi??? that sounds like quite the ordeal, but at least you had the caching gps still and had a good time. :D

firefighterjake
10-29-2008, 06:41 AM
I, for one am glad that you are back!!:) i look forward to many more posts in the future from you. i do have to say that the above post, well lets just say well said.:)

Agreed. Welcome back.

brdad
10-29-2008, 04:14 PM
As for the organization, I guess it is correctly called a bulletin board at this time. I think it could become a whole bunch more. Cachers are motivated folks and with as many people that are listed as members here, the sky is the limit if this group wanted to do more then just exchange e-mails. While I have no desire to be a board member, there are issues and areas where I could be of help. ( Oh no, he's about to mention the fact that he's an attorney again!) And yes, I have a lot of experience in working for and with non-profits so if I can help, I will. While there is merit to retaining older board members, adding some new board members might bring new enthusiasm to the group as a whole. And if the 5 current members want to stay on , why not just add 5 more? If there's something in place that sets the number as 5, propose a change to the rule, put it up for a vote and add some new blood!

Welcome back, Dan

The reason the board was set to 5 is so that basic decisions could be made in a timely manner, and that there would never be a tie.

I think the thing many members and possibly yourself are missing is that Geocaching Maine as a group doesn't need the board to get everything done or to have things done. IMO if you or any other member has an idea to help the group you have two primary options:

1. Start a thread promoting your idea to the membership. See if there is enough people interested in your idea and willing to help you to complete the task. If the board feels the need to give it's input, it will do so. If you want the board's input, you are free to ask. Odds are, the board members will participate in the discussion as individuals regardless.

2. Post a note to the board in the Feedback to board members (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54) area of the forum. This special section was set up so you can discuss ideas or issues with the 5 board members only. No other members will see your post. From there, you can discuss your ideas with the board and they will do their best to help you work out any details of seeing your idea through and presenting it to the membership. This technique allows you to basically be a 6th board member for your individual project. Members can and also have used this area for alerting the board to suspicious posts, spam, to ask us what we might currently be discussing, and more.

Don't wait for the board to come up with ideas that you already have! Don't wait for the board to realize what talents you posses that could benefit Geocaching Maine!

The Maine Geocaching Stats (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=maine_stats) page I update on a regular basis - that was my idea, not the boards. I came up with the idea, and Rick made it possible for me to be able to upload the updated version when I need to. I have written several articles which required no board intervention other than to have them posted on the main page - Anatomy of a Great Cache Hide (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1564) and Ammo Box Camouflage (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1637) being the two most popular. I hate to sound like a broken record, but I would love to see other members contribute more to the articles and other site content. It is what you make it!

I am not trying to say the board has no purpose. But it has less purpose than all the members and their varying talents. The board is glad to help to the best of their abilities - just ask!