View Full Version : Do you want to elect a new advisory board?

Advisory Board
10-20-2008, 06:51 AM
The time has come for Geocaching Maine members to decide whether they would like to retain the current board members for another term or if there should be a new election held to refresh some or all of the board members as specified in the Advisory Board Eligibility and Terms (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=board_eligibility).

Members should use the next few weeks to discuss this and ask any questions not answered in the Advisory Board Eligibility and Terms (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=board_eligibility). There will be a poll running from November 10th to November 25th which will be used to decide if we will hold elections or not.

This upcoming poll is only to decide if elections will be held. In the event it is decided to hold elections, a new vote will be taken at that time. Now is not the time to nominate anyone for the board.

Please keep this thread on topic.

All comments are a collaborative effort of the board members.

hide_from_the_kids
10-20-2008, 07:22 AM
I Feel The Board Has Done A Great Job. Which Means No Replacements Are Needed. If Someone Needs To Step Down For Untold Reasons Then By All Means We Should Fill The Spot But Things Seem Good As They Are. Keep Up The Great Work.:)

vicbiker
10-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Why Would WE ????

Foxgloves
10-20-2008, 01:15 PM
I don't even know who are our current board members are....:rolleyes:
Can someone list them so we know?:o

brdad
10-20-2008, 02:57 PM
The current board members are, in alphabetical order...

attroll
brdad
Tat
Sudonim
WhereRWe?

Hiram357
10-20-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't even know who are our current board members are....:rolleyes:
Can someone list them so we know?:o

And how bout a list of things that have been accomplished since begining their terms in office? We don't hear from them often and some of the newer members probably don't even know we have a board.

WhereRWe?
10-20-2008, 04:17 PM
I Feel The Board Has Done A Great Job. Which Means No Replacements Are Needed. If Someone Needs To Step Down For Untold Reasons Then By All Means We Should Fill The Spot But Things Seem Good As They Are. Keep Up The Great Work.:)

I saw Brdad's comments, but just to refresh everyone's memory...

Original Advisory Board members elected were:

WhereRWe?
Brdad
ATtroll
TAT
Beach Comber

Beach Comber resigned for personal reasons, and the Advisory Board picked Haffy to replace her. When Haffy became an expatriate, the Advisory Board chose Sudonim as the 5th member.

Current Advisory Board members:

WhereRWe?
Brdad
Attroll
TAT
Sudonim

The Advisory Board members are NOT "officers" of the organization. The board was established as a decision making body which would step in as required - such as when debate on a Maine geocoin design showed no sign of ending. We Have no mandate to DO anything. We react when someone makes a suggestion - sometimes not quite as fast as one or two members would prefer, but... Keep in mind that GeocachingMaine.org is not a formal organization.

brdad
10-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Being the first board, in my opinion our biggest accomplishment was learning how to work together, how big a presence the board should have, and eligibility and terms for the board, and as WhereRWe? noted, deciding what to do when someone steps down.

Outside of that, we have discussed several topics that may or may not be considered accomplishments. Many are ongoing and ever changing issues that have no formal ending. These topics included spam posts, moderation, thread deletion, site promotion, funding, bandwidth, raffles, handling announcements to the fora as a group, and more.

We also got the newsletter and email notifications up and running, which is a good addition to the site. Fortunately we found someone well qualified to get the newsletters together every month!

I will also second WhereRWe?'s statement that the board did not want to have any bigger presence than necessary.

Haffy
10-20-2008, 05:01 PM
I think that we should continue with the current status quo,nothing but good things have come about with whom we have here at the moment as far as I am concerned.

fins2right
10-20-2008, 05:15 PM
I think that we should continue with the current status quo,nothing but good things have come about with whom we have here at the moment as far as I am concerned.
This site is fantastic and I think the current board is doing a great job! Why fix it if it is not broken?

d’76
10-20-2008, 05:18 PM
If the current board is all set and they are not ready to throw themselves out a window then I think we should leave them there.

Medawisla
10-20-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm not shy, and coming from me as a geocacher only:

My sense has been that part of the GeocachingMaine community has wanted to be more visible and involved in our home communities/towns. While many have done so on an individual basis (which is great and should be continued!) I know I have heard (and yes I agree) that the GeocachingMaine Board should also be more involved than an average GeoachingMaine community member.

The current Board members seem adament that their level of involvement has been adequate and appropriate. I agree that what has been done regarding outreach and upkeep of the website has been great, but I would like to point out two things I hope that the Board with the community can work on:

1) More face-to-face, on-the-ground outreach promoting our community as a tool to accomplish the GeocachingMaine.org mission of "to promote the sport of geocaching, an appreciation of the outdoors, and good stewardship of the land and environment".

2) And if the forums are our main focus as a community (see full mission statement) then I think this is a serious task to undertake: Fully address the cost of the web components of our website, in that issues such as broadband and other ownership issues are not ignored or brushed aside until they become insolvable. (I commend Rick's time and ability to maintain our site thus far, but he needs help to, in a long-term manner, address these issues.)

Thus, I would like to have new elections, and I would like to elect or re-elect folks who are excited to be proactive in promoting our mission. I hope others who feel so will also speak up, thanks in advance.

Team2hunt
10-20-2008, 06:37 PM
The Advisory Board members are NOT "officers" of the organization. The board was established as a decision making body which would step in as required - such as when debate on a Maine geocoin design showed no sign of ending. We Have no mandate to DO anything. We react when someone makes a suggestion - sometimes not quite as fast as one or two members would prefer, but... Keep in mind that GeocachingMaine.org is not a formal organization.

I'm not so sure I am completely comfortable with the statement.." We have no mandate to DO anything. " I always thought that someone, ( meaning the board ) would stand up for geocaching in Maine and help to promote the good stewardship that Steph mentioned. I know that FFJ has in the past but what about the future. If there is not mandate to DO anything, then why do we have or need an advisory board anyways.
If the current board does not want to help promote geocaching in Maine, the way it should be.....then maybe we need to elect new board members.

Or maybe we just need to change what the board does?

Opalsns
10-20-2008, 06:58 PM
I had mentioned this in another thread, so I feel obligated to Bud In.
I haven't been here long enough to know what has or has not been accomplished with the current Board Members, But What I would like to see is an addition of a Newbe member.
No, I don't mean me !!!!
Here is my reason.
A few threads back, a board member had stated that unfortunatly the seasoned cachers don't get as enthused when a Cacher gets a FTF!!! That's too bad because If people start to get uninterested in some of the accompleshments that Newer cachers make, it could make it less interesting to them.
Maybe a New cacher added to the group ,could bring a fresh charge, Or Ideas, or help noobes with those REPEAT questions, etc...
That's my thought!
Opalsns

dubord207
10-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Having served on many Boards, some formal and some "loose", it would be beneficial to have new "blood" on the board. I really haven't belonged long enough to say what could be improved, but if this organization wants to move forward it will take fresh ideas. No offense to those who organized this site and currently serve but I have trouble with the whole idea that "the less organization the better" which seems to be our groups paradigm. And I have already put my thoughts clearly on the line about how odd it seems to me that the vets have limits on their ability or willingness to recognize the accomplishments of newer cachers.

I'd rotate folks in and out on a regular basis. New board members mean new ideas and new enthusiasm. Who knows where that might lead.:rolleyes:

Cache Maine
10-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Elections for new board members should be held at predetermined intervals (December and annually, for staggered terms) and if the same people get elected, then so be it, everyone is happy.

msteelee
10-20-2008, 10:33 PM
The current members of the board are doing a splendid job and should continue as long as they wish to serve. New members can be elected to fill vacancies.

The board is certainly responsive to the concerns of the membership and I see no additional duties we require of them.

There you have my 2 cents worth.

Hiram357
10-21-2008, 06:58 AM
What about the guidlines that are posted in the "about geocaching maine" part of the site where it says this about the board...

Elections: Names of those interested in participating in the advisory board will be collected in the first week of December and voting will be held the last three weeks of December. The current board will decide on the method to collect, count and validate the votes. All geocachingmaine.org members will be allowed one vote. The votes will be tallied at the first of January and the board will be refreshed at that time. Four board members will be elected in. The webmaster is a necessary member and will hold the position of 5th board member.

Shouldn't we keep to what was written?

firefighterjake
10-21-2008, 07:40 AM
What about the guidlines that are posted in the "about geocaching maine" part of the site where it says this about the board...

Elections: Names of those interested in participating in the advisory board will be collected in the first week of December and voting will be held the last three weeks of December. The current board will decide on the method to collect, count and validate the votes. All geocachingmaine.org members will be allowed one vote. The votes will be tallied at the first of January and the board will be refreshed at that time. Four board members will be elected in. The webmaster is a necessary member and will hold the position of 5th board member.

Mind blowing . . . simply mind blowing. ;):D

brdad
10-21-2008, 07:56 AM
Blah blah

Ummm, that's exactly what we're doing. Did you skip the section just before that? :rolleyes:

Board Reviews: In the beginning of November of even numbered years, a poll will be posted to the site asking the membership if they would like to keep the board members as is or if elections should be held to refresh the board.

Team2hunt
10-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Elections for new board members should be held at predetermined intervals (December and annually, for staggered terms) and if the same people get elected, then so be it, everyone is happy.

It really is just that simple. Thanks for the clarification. :)

WhereRWe?
10-21-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm not so sure I am completely comfortable with the statement.." We have no mandate to DO anything. " I always thought that someone, ( meaning the board ) would stand up for geocaching in Maine and help to promote the good stewardship that Steph mentioned. I know that FFJ has in the past but what about the future. If there is not mandate to DO anything, then why do we have or need an advisory board anyways.
If the current board does not want to help promote geocaching in Maine, the way it should be.....then maybe we need to elect new board members.

Or maybe we just need to change what the board does?

I am echoing the sentiment of the GCM.org members when the Advisory Board was set up. History: Several long-time GCM.org members got together and held a discussion of the direction of GCM.org, if we needed to have a formal organization, and if so, what it should be like. We held another, well advertised, discussion at a geocaching event where our feelings , where the current board "mission" was agreed upon.

Again, I state that the Advisory Board has no mandate to do anything. It was established as a facilitator. This is what the GCM.org members wanted.

And I feel save, speaking for the board, that promoting geocaching in Maine would be one of our most important functions. And we're doing that. We're currently discussing the restrictions on caches in the Appalacian Trail, and what approach to it should be. I personally send a welcome message to each new member of GCM.org, and have had long email exchanges with many, answering questions and offering advice.

We're always open to other ideas and suggestions from GCM.org members.

WhereRWe?
10-21-2008, 09:39 AM
No offense to those who organized this site and currently serve but I have trouble with the whole idea that "the less organization the better" which seems to be our groups paradigm.

LOL! It is interesting to note that this and similar comments are generally made by members who were not around when the current "organization" was set up. If they had been, who knows what it might be like today.

I kinda wish Haffy would jump into this discussion, because it was at an event he hosted where the organization and "scope" of the Advisory Board was discussed. And he has a better memory than I have. :o:o

firefighterjake
10-21-2008, 09:41 AM
The one constant is change . . .

Foxgloves
10-21-2008, 10:28 AM
My 2 cents for what its worth….:rolleyes:

I think we need a couple forum moderators more than we need a board ….:mad: :rolleyes:

However…
I agree with others on this site that we need to re-elect our board. If the same board is re-elected then so be it but sometimes change is good.
Right now our board consists of veteran cachers….it couldn’t hurt to get a couple of “noobie’s” on the board to bring fresh ideas and insight to the forum.

I didn’t even know who the board was until yesterday….where on this forum are these things posted? :confused:

brdad
10-21-2008, 11:56 AM
I didn’t even know who the board was until yesterday….where on this forum are these things posted? :confused:

Some of the information is available in the "News From the Board Members (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56)" section of the fora. Unfortunately, before that area was created, any other posts are scattered about. You can find some of that information by searching the fora for "board" or "advisory board".

Hiram357
10-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Ummm, that's exactly what we're doing. Did you skip the section just before that? :rolleyes:

No, if you were doing what what written when it started you would be "telling" the GCM community that there will be an election instead of asking them if they want one. Which is why you started this thread isn't it? To find out if there should be an election, but the answer is already written out.

brdad
10-21-2008, 03:23 PM
No, if you were doing what what written when it started you would be "telling" the GCM community that there will be an election instead of asking them if they want one. Which is why you started this thread isn't it? To find out if there should be an election, but the answer is already written out.

Sorry for any confusion, perhaps we need to re-write the terms to make them more understandable. The Board took a fair amount of time writing this up, but it's hard to predict everyone's interpretation of it. I can see where a person could assume elections would be held every December if they didn't fully connect it with the Board Review section on the terms page.

I will quote the entire terms here once again and explain:

Current Board Members are listed here: Board Members (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showgroups.php)

Eligibility: To be eligible to participate as an Advisory Board member, the person must be an active geocachingmaine.org participant as well as an active Maine cacher who has general knowledge of laws and practices that pertain to caching in Maine. This includes non-residents but the cacher must spend more time caching in Maine than occasional vacations. Current board members are eligible for re-election. The current board shall decide whether a particular person meets these eligibility requirements or not.

Office Terms: Advisory Board members terms shall be in two year intervals ending December of even numbered years, and will be up for review at that time.

Board Reviews: In the beginning of November of even numbered years, a poll will be posted to the site asking the membership if they would like to keep the board members as is or if elections should be held to refresh the board.

Vacancies: If a board member steps down or is removed from their position, the current board shall choose an eligible and willing member to take that persons seat. The membership shall be informed of this change at the time the change is finalized.

Dismissal: If at any time the board feels that one of the board members should be dismissed for not meeting eligibility requirements or for not contributing to the site and/or the sport as expected, they will discus and resolve the issue in a timely and fair manner. In the event the board member is dismissed, practices for board vacancies will be followed.

The Board Reviews: section states that a poll will be held to ask the members if they wish to hold an election.

The Elections: section describes the details of performing the election if the poll results (Board Reviews) indicates the membership wants to hold an election.

Hiram357
10-21-2008, 03:45 PM
ok, nevermind

WhereRWe?
10-21-2008, 03:58 PM
I think we need a couple forum moderators more than we need a board ….:mad: :rolleyes:

We have had moderators in the past - Attroll, the webmaster is the only one who knows who they were - but we don't have one right now. The Advisory Board supports having moderators, but it is up to Rick to pick someone who he trusts to make good judgments and have access to the internal website. :)

Haffy
10-21-2008, 08:35 PM
We have had moderators in the past - Attroll, the webmaster is the only one who knows who they were - but we don't have one right now. The Advisory Board supports having moderators, but it is up to Rick to pick someone who he trusts to make good judgments and have access to the internal website. :)

I will make an amendment to that comment that Rick was the only one who knew who the moderators were. It wasn't any secret that Cameo and myself at one point were moderators on this site but because of some misunderstandings at one point we decided to step down and make the site self moderating and from what I have seen it has worked out ok. Not perfect but ok. Just thought I would clarify that one statement of WhereRWe.

Cache Maine
10-21-2008, 09:14 PM
I will make an amendment to that comment that Rick was the only one who knew who the moderators were. It wasn't any secret that Cameo and myself at one point were moderators on this site but because of some misunderstandings at one point we decided to step down and make the site self moderating and from what I have seen it has worked out ok. Not perfect but ok. Just thought I would clarify that one statement of WhereRWe.

People need to speak for themselves and only themselves.

Haffy, I appreciate that you attempted to clarify, but plain and simple, its not the whole story.

There are a few that know my story, and I choose to leave it that way.

tat
10-21-2008, 09:43 PM
If anyone is interested in the past, look at this thread (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1483) I have referenced often; not only to try to see what the membership’s ideas were, but also to see what I and the other successful candidates promised. I think we did follow through with what we said. It was unclear if the members even wanted any organization at all and most did not want dues, rules any kind of formal bureaucracy.

To use an analogy:

We started with an old Maine camp that was well used. It was rowdy at times a bit too free-wheeling for some. Now, we still have an old Maine camp. We have more fun and less problems. Most come here to stage an outdoor adventure or tell tales when they get back.

We do not live in one of those gated communities with rules, regulations, dues and politics. If you want to take on a project, fine. We’ll provide any advice and support we can. If not, that's fine too.

attroll
10-22-2008, 01:28 AM
I have someone I am going to work with shortly when I get some spare time. I am just to busy right now. I believe this person will be very dependable and is very honest and straight forward. I have always confided in them in the past over geocaching and web site issues.

Hiram357
10-22-2008, 07:14 AM
To use an analogy:

We started with an old Maine camp that was well used. It was rowdy at times a bit too free-wheeling for some. Now, we still have an old Maine camp. We have more fun and less problems. Most come here to stage an outdoor adventure or tell tales when they get back.

We do not live in one of those gated communities with rules, regulations, dues and politics. If you want to take on a project, fine. We’ll provide any advice and support we can. If not, that's fine too.

nice analogy :D

Cache Maine
10-22-2008, 07:26 AM
I feel that one function of the advisory board should be to focus on geocachingmaine.org member retention. The board at this time has a wonderful opportunity to step up and begin interacting with everyone on this site to ensure that they will stick around and continue to provide valuable insight to the website.

I have had several fellow geocachers email me and tell me that they have either left or are thinking of leaving the website due to the content lately.

To ensure a happy and productive website, it's essential to have a variety of input from all spectrums. If the board feels that they "didn't know" about people being upset lately, my thought would be that they haven't read every post on the board, another essential part of being a well informed advisory board member.

firefighterjake
10-22-2008, 07:29 AM
I feel that one function of the advisory board should be to focus on geocachingmaine.org member retention. The board at this time has a wonderful opportunity to step up and begin interacting with everyone on this site to ensure that they will stick around and continue to provide valuable insight to the website.

I have had several fellow geocachers email me and tell me that they have either left or are thinking of leaving the website due to the content lately.

To ensure a happy and productive website, it's essential to have a variety of input from all spectrums. If the board feels that they "didn't know" about people being upset lately, my thought would be that they haven't read every post on the board, another essential part of being a well informed advisory board member.

Agreed . . . a troubling trend as of late.

firefighterjake
10-22-2008, 07:30 AM
If anyone is interested in the past, look at this thread (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1483) I have referenced often; not only to try to see what the membership’s ideas were, but also to see what I and the other successful candidates promised. I think we did follow through with what we said. It was unclear if the members even wanted any organization at all and most did not want dues, rules any kind of formal bureaucracy.

To use an analogy:

Maybe we should upgrade to a time share. ;):D

firefighterjake
10-22-2008, 07:31 AM
I have someone I am going to work with shortly when I get some spare time. I am just to busy right now. I believe this person will be very dependable and is very honest and straight forward. I have always confided in them in the past over geocaching and web site issues.

Tink? ;):D

WhereRWe?
10-22-2008, 07:55 AM

To use an analogy:

Thanks, TAT. I just read the first couple of pages of comments, but it reinforces what I've been saying: the Advisory Board was established with the idea that it was not a "leadership", but a facilitator for the group.

And the analogy was great! LOL!

fins2right
10-22-2008, 03:17 PM

I joined this side in 2007 and lurked for a long time before posting a few months ago. This may have to do a lot with my comfort level with technology, which isn't very high. It's hard for me to believe that people get so insulted by things on this post. I work with teens who post constantly (creating a lot of poor social situations) and the language and insults they trade online would turn your hair gray :eek: (Mine is getting there) One of the things I've been taught is how teens live online and take everything personally. One of the lessons I try to teach is that things online should be taken with a grain of salt, and the meaning off those posts does should not rise to the level of insult. You cannot compare what is going on in sites like Myspace and Facebook to the comments left on here. Perhaps I'm thick skinned (being called "pig" at the Bob-in a few thousand times will do that to a man:D:rolleyes:) but I have not seen anything here that anyone should take to heart. If there are misunderstandings perhaps one should take the time to PM someone and try to work out the issue. Otherwise, this should be taken for what it is, an entertaining way to connect with others and share in the hobby of Geocaching. This is a fantastic way for me to de-stress and share my thoughts with people that I would never get a chance to otherwise. If you are approaching this at a level where you could get insulted, it's time for some self examination. People are going to enter and leave any type of organization for reasons that are thier own. I just hope that it would be for good reasons, not mispercieved insults. You want to feel an insult personally, have a lawyer call you a liar on the stand. :mad: Now, bring on the critics!:D:D

mainesurveyor
10-22-2008, 04:48 PM
If anyone is interested in the past, look at this thread (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1483)We do not live in one of those gated communities with rules, regulations, dues and politics. If you want to take on a project, fine. We’ll provide any advice and support we can. If not, that's fine too.

I'm with tat...

I've been to one event, found a few caches, post when I feel I can contribute, contribute to GCM (as a website not as an organization!!!) and glean information from the website posts as I see fit. To me geocaching, and GCM, is a fun pursuit when I have the opportunity. I am not looking to belong to a socio-political organization with geocaching as a front.

I feel that the forum is very well self-policed for the most part. Moderators are not always the answer, it's the members on the site who police themselves that make this site work. If you need to see a website (and please don't take any offense Rick) that is very well moderated but would fail with self-policing, then spend some time on whiteblaze.net. If there is a need for the advisory board to step in I'm confident that they will and therefore I'm agreeable to the current board for as long as they choose to serve.

As always, I'll drink a toast to Rick (and buy him one if we ever get together) and the time he puts in to this website.

--Mike.

WhereRWe?
10-22-2008, 04:50 PM
If you are approaching this at a level where you could get insulted, it's time for some self examination. People are going to enter and leave any type of organization for reasons that are thier own. I just hope that it would be for good reasons, not mispercieved insults. You want to feel an insult personally, have a lawyer call you a liar on the stand. :mad: Now, bring on the critics!:D:D

Self examination? I disagree. I'm probably more sensitive than most, and definitely more outspoken, so when someone insults me, I'm going to respond.

Sorry.

I repeat, and will keep repeating: making jokes about racial, ethnic or other stereotypes is NOT acceptable.

And I'm certainly not going to criticize you - you have just as much right to speak your mind as I do. :D:D

Medawisla
10-22-2008, 06:04 PM

Thanks for posting TAT. It's good to know where we started from.

That said, it seems like there's enough folks who express interest in being a little bit more than what we are now but maybe not as political/organized as some folks fear. I think there's enough who've mentioned they'd like to see some change that holding elections would be the right thing to do.

brdad
10-22-2008, 08:31 PM

I agree to this concept. I have always pushed for site content to help retain members. I have tried to get members to add their content and ideas to the web site, yet very few have followed through. When it comes to the fora, it's a tough job to retain members. The board has no control over what is posted. If there is no moderation and member A offends member B, there is a chance member B will leave. If there is moderation, member A may get upset and leave. Often there is a happy medium, but sometimes that is not the case. I imagine you have witnessed some of that.

As far as reading all the threads, I do try but the number of posts are growing fast. And I probably am one of the board members that spend the most time here, outside of Bruce possibly. We do have lives outside of this web site, and sometimes we miss threads we should not have. Oftentimes, if one board member sees something important, they will mention it to the other board members. And I am not sure a new board will help with that, unless you make sure to elect people who spend 16-18 hours on the site.

What I'd really like to see is more members get involved. They can even post in the "Feedback to board members (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)" area with their ideas for site promotion, member recruitment and retention, fund raising ideas, site content etc. The board is no smarter or capable than the membership. Their only advantage is with only 5 members, most of the time they can make a decision quicker. Why rely on 5 people to come up with good ideas, when there are 1500 members from all walks of life with many different talents and visions?

firefighterjake
10-23-2008, 07:29 AM
. . . I work with teens who post constantly (creating a lot of poor social situations) and the language and insults they trade online would turn your hair gray :eek: (Mine is getting there) . . .

At least you have hair . . . I think my wife is pulling mine out while I sleep at night since I seem to be getting a bit sparse on top. ;):D

Opalsns
10-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Well,
If there is going to be a vote, Maybe this would be a good time for all the board members to do what Brad just did, Let US know how They feel about Their own accomplishments as a board member and why they would like to remain a board member.
Opalsns

brdad
10-23-2008, 08:49 AM
If I am voted as a board member, I promise to find out who this Brad guy is! Rick keeps referring to him, too! :D:D:D

(My name is Dave, and my nick is brdad = Brian's dad)

I'd rather see this thread stick to whether or not we should hold an election, and not have anyone campaigning unless it is to back up their feeling we should keep the current board.

My intention was less of campaigning, but more of stressing the membership can make a bigger difference in the content and success of the site than the board ever will, whoever those members are.

WhereRWe?
10-23-2008, 09:01 AM
I'd rather see this thread stick to whether or not we should hold an election, and not have anyone campaigning unless it is to back up their feeling we should keep the current board.

I agree. The Board members basically do the same thing - we discuss issues and make a decision as to how we're going to act. We have our own contributions to the site, but not specifically as Board members: Brdad provides stats and caching information, TAT is the Maine Cache Approver and provides insight into GCM.org policies, I interact with newcomers and answer questions, and Attroll maintains the web site.

:D:D

brdad
10-23-2008, 09:33 AM
And Sudonim, who has helped a ton with the Geocoins!

WhereRWe?
10-23-2008, 09:36 AM

Oops - You're right. I forgot Andy. And you're right. I personally saw the amount of work Andy did with the first Maine geocoin release. WOW! He really put a lot of time on that.

(Sorry, Andy!)

Opalsns
10-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Sorry, Dave, I missed the d when typing.

And here we go with the ANOTHER THREAD thing.Let's stay on the thread EVERYONE is reading !!!
As I said before, I'm NEW and don't know what was accomlished. That's why I asked.
WRW gave me alot of info in ONE sentence. And by the way ,BRDad, you were almost CAMPAIGNING a few posts ago, LOL!!!
I want to know IF I should vote for a new board. Not just ASSUME we need one.

Sudonim
10-23-2008, 12:33 PM

Hey Brad...I mean Dave:p Thanks for sticking up for me. I was away from the computer this morning (someone had to go out and get a few more caches) and missed the conversation.
Speaking of coins, I hope to have the final pricing on the '08 coin by this weekend. Stay tuned...

fins2right
10-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey Brad...I mean Dave:p Thanks for sticking up for me. I was away from the computer this morning (someone had to go out and get a few more caches) and missed the conversation.
Speaking of coins, I hope to have the final pricing on the '08 coin by this weekend. Stay tuned...
Sweeettt!!:D

Ekidokai
10-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I just have to say that everyone I have met or seen on here does way more than anyone could expect. From placing extraordinary unique caches, to going way out of your way to assist newbies on fixing caches like the Orono Land Trust ones. I feel really honored to just be allowed to participate.

If I can be of any assistance don't hesitate to ask. Although with the level of expertise I've seen I wont be needed, but I'm here anyway.

Hiram357
10-23-2008, 05:15 PM
I just have to say that everyone I have met or seen on here does way more than anyone could expect. From placing extraordinary unique caches, to going way out of your way to assist newbies on fixing caches like the Orono Land Trust ones. I feel really honored to just be allowed to participate.

If I can be of any assistance don't hesitate to ask. Although with the level of expertise I've seen I wont be needed, but I'm here anyway.

we've all gotta start somewhere, and just cuz you're new doesn't mean you don't have any good ideas. ;):D:D

Sudonim
10-23-2008, 05:28 PM

New people and new ideas is what keeps life interesting:)

Haffy
10-23-2008, 05:55 PM

And I was just going to ask about the coin too but you answered my question, AND BACK ON TOPIC.....

Cache Maine
10-23-2008, 08:41 PM
The poll will begin November 10.

robt
10-24-2008, 01:32 PM
My vote will be to let the board stand as it is cuase they have done a great job!!!!! the only reason I would change is if we needed to replace somone casue they decided to go away.

I say Great Job Advisory Board!!!!!!!:D:D:D

EMSDanel
10-25-2008, 01:16 AM
Hi folks.....I just read through this entire exchange and wanted to respond to something on each of the pages but kept reading through. Several things come to mind.

First: it would appear that, although most comments are very positive regarding the advisory board, there is enough there to warrant holding new elections. That would put all of this to rest. I think the current board might be re-elected, but it would give a chance for others to apply. I also have the opinion that the current rules favor the seated board, heavily favoring the status quo. And don't get me wrong, this might be a good thing.

Second: Thanks, TAT, for the thread that gives us the insight to the history of the group. It shows that a few of you stood around one day and said "Gee, do you suppose we should organize into a group?" It was clear from the start that there would be no dues, no mandatory meetings, no fines for not showing up, etc. Just a web site that people could go to and share ideas about geocaching.....a resource site that all could share and benefit from. Kudos to you all for making that happen.

Third: Rick's (ATTROLL) contributions to this website have been immense. I think he should be named an advisory member emeritus. Let's face it....Geocachingmaine.org is not a company with employees, it's not a community service group with a secret handshake, it's a web site that we go to to share ideas. The webmaster is all-important and the rest of you are....well....you could be any one of us.

Fourth: I respect the wisdom of the current advisory board members. Your experience level with geocaching shows and I have taken your advice on a number of occasions. But I'll also say that the comments from Opalsns and Fins2Right on this thread have been right on. I laugh to myself and walk away at some of the geoevents that I attend when I overhear some of the conversations of the super veteran cachers. New GPS comes out....ooops, throw my current GPS away and run to buy the new one and then spend hours trying to overcome the bugs in the system. And while you're all standing there trying to beam to each other the latest and greatest technology I'll take out my compass and go and find the cache. I know I'm a neanderthal, but the point of this is that there are many, many people on geocachingmaine.org who still like the thrill of going out and finding a cache (including me), not just thinking they have the latest technology. The input from members like that will reflect the feelings of many more members of geocachingmaine.org than those who have a vehicle dashboard filled with laptop computers, TomToms, and ipods, etc. Please pay attention to this.

Fifth: While I'm at it, let me say that any geocacher who has a cell phone that is programed to sound off the instant that a new cache is published should be shot! When I fish I use a fly, or I troll....but I never use a hand grenade to increase my chances of getting a fish. Those of you who know me realize I love a FTF! But I'm embarassed for those who have their cell phones programmed for this and then get up from bed and chase after a cache....leaving their job or significant other behind to suffer in their absence, and then claim their astoundment that it's a FTF. You know who you are.

All of this is directed at finding the right mix of people to serve on the advisory board that represent those of us who visit and become a part of geocachingmaine.org. I'd like to thank those of you who are currently on the advisory board.....I've enjoyed coming here for advice. I hope the future board reflects the current membership of geocachingmaine.org.

brdad
10-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Third: Rick's (ATTROLL) contributions to this website have been immense. I think he should be named an advisory member emeritus. Let's face it....Geocachingmaine.org is not a company with employees, it's not a community service group with a secret handshake, it's a web site that we go to to share ideas. The webmaster is all-important and the rest of you are....well....you could be any one of us.

As webmaster, Rick would always be part of the board until he desired or needed to put full control over to someone else. As webmaster, his input has been required on all of the discussions we have had so far. But doesn't "emeritus" mean retired?

As far as the rest of us could be anyone - I can agree with that. In my opinion the biggest factors that I have seen make a good board member for this site are having the time to pay attention to what's happening on the site, and the ability to work together and compromise with the other board members. While I think the current board as well as the retired board members have those qualifications, so would a large percentage of those who read and post to these fora on a regular basis.

hide_from_the_kids
10-26-2008, 07:52 PM
In my opinion the biggest factors that I have seen make a good board member for this site are having the time to pay attention to what's happening on the site, and the ability to work together and compromise with the other board members.

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE RUDE BUT HAS ANYONE NOTICED OR PAYED ATTENTION TO THE HAPPENINGS OF A MEMBER BEING PUSHED AWAY FROM THIS SITE? IS THIS HOW WE PROMOTE THE SITE TO BE WELCOMING TO ALL GEOCACHERS?:(:o:confused:

EMSDanel
10-26-2008, 08:51 PM
I agree. The person being driven away is a very bright, very productive and valued member of our Maine geocaching community. I contacted this cacher personally and asked him to continue being a part of geocachingmaine.org and his reply indicated that he had been trashed in pm's by a member of the advisory board to the point that he no longer wished to continue participating here. I have no idea what the pm's contained. But perhaps the board can investigate and, if this is true, at least one person should step down. It may all be a misunderstanding (I hope so) but it should be looked into, at the very least.

Sudonim
10-26-2008, 08:52 PM
THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE RUDE BUT HAS ANYONE NOTICED OR PAYED ATTENTION TO THE HAPPENINGS OF A MEMBER BEING PUSHED AWAY FROM THIS SITE? IS THIS HOW WE PROMOTE THE SITE TO BE WELCOMING TO ALL GEOCACHERS?:(:o:confused:

I think we have all seen what has happened recently. A disagreement between two members of the site with different experiences and opinions. I think it's too bad that one person decided to leave the group over it. I personally do not believe that it is an indication of an attitude of the group or what any of us wanted to see happen. Strong disagreements on these forums do not cast this site in a good light, however, with a group this big and diverse, there WILL be disagreements. Recognizing that the web is a hard place to discern peoples intent and tone, I think we all need to show a little extra understanding of each other. At a face-to-face interaction, its easy to correct yourself if someone you are speaking to takes what you say in a negative way. On a forum, it can fester or blow up rapidly, sometimes to a point where feelings get hurt quickly. Anyone that has spent time on a forum has seen this.
When these flare-ups happen, I try to take both sides with a grain of salt, but it isn't always easy to do.
Please don't think that this was a board to individual interaction, but two people expressing their feelings and opinions in a public venue. I was sorry to see the decision that Dan took, but that is his decision to make. I hope that he finds his way back here, but respect his decision if he does not.

hide_from_the_kids
10-26-2008, 10:43 PM
I Hope That Dan Makes The Decision To Come Back And I Hope That Other Members Of This Group Agree, Even Those Members Who Might Of Had A Flare Up With Him.

Opalsns
10-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Just for your FYI, This goes on in ANY forum. I sold a coin to a cacher in Hawaii and we compared notes on Caching Clubs and he said they go through the same thing!!!
I didn't know anyone left because of the board, too bad for us. If it was Dubard Dan, then we lost a good, smart man, that had good opinions.
But in the same breath, I can't believe someone would leave because of Challenges or Comments from the board. He should have POSTED the PM comments made to him!!!! THat would have Shut someone up!!!!!!I say, BRING IT ON !!!!! The board does NOT represent the cachers on this site. Besides Rick, I don't see the need for the Board!! Sorry
Come on back Dubord. I'll be your body guard!!!!!!!! insert smiley face here
Opalsns

Opalsns
10-27-2008, 08:52 AM
I found the thread that said Duboard was leaving. THIS IS SAD. Shame on the Board members who attacked him. So what if he says he's a Lawyer in 90% of his posts, I'm a painter PAINTER!!! FFJ is a FIREFIGHTER!!!!!!! Dave is a TEACHER!!!!! Hollora is a GRANDMOTHER !!!!!!!!!BIG STINKING DEAL...WE have all done something in our lives that could be benifical to the site, You don't have to be a WORLD TRAVELER to KNOW IT ALL!!!!!
I will promise to ANYONE that sends me a degrading PM, .. I WILL POST IT!!!!!!!!!
Peace and Love,
Opalsns

WhereRWe?
10-27-2008, 09:17 AM
I Hope That Dan Makes The Decision To Come Back And I Hope That Other Members Of This Group Agree, Even Those Members Who Might Of Had A Flare Up With Him.

I have no desire to see Dan leave - indeed I wish he'd come back. I never "trashed" him either publicly or privately, and feel this entire situation is completely out of control.

WhereRWe?
10-27-2008, 09:22 AM
I will promise to ANYONE that sends me a degrading PM, .. I WILL POST IT!!!!!!!!!

Again, I never sent anyone a "degrading PM". I just sent the entire exchange of PM's between Dubord and myself to a person whose judgment I trust, and who I believe would be trusted by most other members of GCM.org. I'll post this person's opinion about the exchange when I get a response.

Again, the idea that I "trashed" anyone is false.

Gob-ler
10-27-2008, 12:16 PM
I think WhereRWe and Dubord are the ones that need to work this out. An apology is a wonderful thing. Most of the time it clears the air and life can go on. There are times even when an apology can be given even when and if you think you did nothing wrong.

I don't think there should be any posting along the lines of what someone else thinks about this whole thing. What is to be gained by that?

It sure sounds to me like we are playing defense rather than trying to move on.

Just my two cents worth.

EMSDanel
10-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Well, folks, that was me. I just read the exchange of PM's that went back and forth and can assure everyone that this was not a matter between the Advisory Board and a member, and I do not believe anyone has to step down from the board. Sudonim did a great job (not surprisingly) a few posts back describing what can happen when two people get into an exchange of opinions in a forum or through PM's rather than face to face. One took offense at something posted, the other took offense at the reply and the race was on. But let us all remember that nobody ever, ever wins in a p...ing contest. Unfortunately, one of the parties has left this group over it but, like Andy, I truly respect his decision to do so. (pssst...I still hope he comes back).
So, everyone, if I could have any wish today it would be that we move on to some other "hot topic" and leave this one behind. I think I'll go place a new cache. That always makes me feel good. Have a good week....!

brdad
10-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I think WhereRWe and Dubord are the ones that need to work this out. An apology is a wonderful thing. Most of the time it clears the air and life can go on. There are times even when an apology can be given even when and if you think you did nothing wrong.

I don't think there should be any posting along the lines of what someone else thinks about this whole thing. What is to be gained by that?

It sure sounds to me like we are playing defense rather than trying to move on.

Just my two cents worth.

I agree with Gob-ler, and knowing he's been there before himself makes it worth more than two cents.

This should be worked out between the parties involved. Any persons not involved do not know the entire story and should be careful passing judgment. As in most arguments, most likely both parties bear some of the burden of blame.

The details of the confrontation have little to do with the subject of this thread and the upcoming poll. We should instead keep to productive discussion concerning that topic.

Hiram357
11-05-2008, 08:41 PM
so with the petty elections out of the way, when do we start with the election that matters??? :D

Sudonim
11-05-2008, 09:08 PM
so with the petty elections out of the way, when do we start with the election that matters??? :D

The poll voting is from Monday November 10th to Nov. 25th. We don't have any "I voted today" stickers though...:rolleyes:

hide_from_the_kids
11-05-2008, 09:19 PM
:DHow About The Free Coffee? Thats Why I Voted:D:D

vicbiker
11-05-2008, 10:26 PM
:DHow About The Free Coffee? Thats Why I Voted:D:DI wonder if all the money spent on advertising had instead been spent on buying everyone a cup of coffee ...what would the outcome have been.:D

hide_from_the_kids
11-05-2008, 11:11 PM
I wonder if all the money spent on advertising had instead been spent on buying everyone a cup of coffee ...what would the outcome have been.:D
if all the money spent on advertising went to health care or the national debt then what issues would they have to run on.:eek:i would still want a free coffee:D

Kaching Karen
11-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Can Canadians vote in this election?

brdad
11-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Can Canadians vote in this election?

Yes, you can - I'll have my cousin Guido help you make an informed decision. ;)

Advisory Board
11-10-2008, 07:37 AM
This thread has been closed.
The poll and any further discussion can be found in the thread Advisory Board Election Poll (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3537).