View Full Version : Announcing ~ The JD Foundation

hollora
10-30-2008, 06:09 PM
We have many wonderful people among us ~ real workers for good things!:) What many of you may not know is our own chercacher and vic-biker have been working hard to establish a non-profit Foundation.

The main goal of the foundation is to “break the silence” of suicide, and “stop the stigma” about talking aloud about suicide and mental illness. By using education as a medium, they will bring awareness and through awareness we all can prevent suicide.

Although the foundation is starting out slowly by teaching adults, they have plans of expanding so that can work with youth as well.

A staggering fact is ~ Suicide is the second leading cause of death in the United States for young people between the ages of 15-24. Even more upsetting ~ The state of Maine has the highest rate of suicide in New England.

Cheryl and Vic have worked really hard to establish this as a 501C3 non-profit and their efforts are to be applauded.:) If you or anyone you know, would be open to training, could use training or would like to support this Foundation, please contact them. I am sure they would appreciate it.

And with that ~ they are holding their first fund raiser in Hollis Maine, t the Lions Club, Rt. 202 & 35, on Nov. 15th from 4:30 AM - 10 AM! It's, of course, a Hunter's Breakfast, with an all you can eat breakfast (yummie menu) and a raffle.:D

For more information you can email the foundation ~ thejdfoundation at yahoo dot com or of course PM Vic. If anyone would like a template of a poster for this event to print & put up - Vic and I both have one we could email you.

To me ~ this is a personal milestone for a family which has turned the healing of a tragic event into prevention for others. It is also another example of the wonderful people who communicate, share ideas and have fun on this website.

Thank you Cheryl and Vic!:D And thank you Attroll for the site!

Chercacher
10-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Hollora, Thank you so very much for introducing the foundation. Also for talking about the personal milestone. Vic, myself, and my two boys have had quite a struggle the last three years and we couldn't have done it without all of the support of our family and friends. I know I don't post often and I work a lot and don't have a lot of time, but I sure do appreciate you and all who have supported us and will continue to support us. What a great bunch of people. I am proud to be a part of Geo-Caching of Maine. God Bless
You are so appreciated

Team V3
11-01-2008, 03:54 PM
I think it is a great cause. Kudos too all involved!

vicbiker
11-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Well this is the big weekend for the JD Foundation's first official fund raiser. If you don't already know, we are having a hunters pancake breakfast at the Lion's Club in Hollis, Me. This will be an all you can eat breakfast consisting of a pancakes, blueberry pancakes, apple pancakes, sausage, bacon, breakfast sandwiches, juice, coffee and tea. The Lion's Club is located at the intersection of rt.202 & rt.35, the doors will open at 4:30 am and we will be serving until 10:00 am. Everyone is welcome...not just hunters. We also will be selling raffle tickets for two cords of cut, split, and delivered firewood. Tickets are $5.00 each and are available at the breakfast.

Come enjoy a fantastic breakfast, support a great cause, and maybe even do some caching in the area.

hollora
11-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Great idea - Hunters of a different sort - Cache Hunters!;) All dressed in Hunter Orange so they don't get shot and armed with Magellan's, Garmin's and other sorts of navigational GPS receiver devices!:)

No need to carry knives, matches, survival gear, climb trees, or any of that messy stuff. Certainly not a bad idea to carry hand cleaner and baggies though.:cool:

So - two different kind of hunters may support a wonderful event to benefit a new Maine Foundation for a wonderful cause.:)

hollora
11-12-2008, 10:44 PM
:)Ok - Geocointest here - time/chance to win!:)

Challenge............if you are a Geocacher.........attend this Hunter's Breakfast ~ to go hunting for cache ~ Pass a card or a paper to the person taking tickets which says - "I am a Geocacher! I am hunting caches and want to win........my caching name is (you ~ FILL IN THAT BLANK)." :D

You must have this ready to present - don't ask them for a paper and pen or pencil........and they are not going to coach you they need it.;) Bring it or you are not in the draw.:eek: One cacher or 100 at the breakfast - someone will win as long as there is an entry!:)

Yes, you must fill in your geocaching name on your paper so I can PM you through GC.com.........Your card or paper entry will be put into a separate draw container to win One unactivated geocoin of my choice from my unactivated coins. The winner will be drawn at the end of the breakfast and I will be notified by Vic-biker or Chercacher of the winner and I will subsequently notify the winner via their GC.com profile and announced it here. The coin will be about a $10/value and I will mail it to the winner if not practical for pickup.

Just one small and fun thing I can do to support the cause.:) If I wasn't working a Hunter's Breakfast in this area of the state for another group this weekend, I would be there!:mad:

vicbiker
11-13-2008, 02:49 PM
:)Ok - Geocointest here - time/chance to win!:)

Challenge............if you are a Geocacher.........attend this Hunter's Breakfast ~ to go hunting for cache ~ Pass a card or a paper to the person taking tickets which says - "I am a Geocacher! I am hunting caches and want to win........my caching name is (you ~ FILL IN THAT BLANK)." :D

You must have this ready to present - don't ask them for a paper and pen or pencil........and they are not going to coach you they need it.;) Bring it or you are not in the draw.:eek: One cacher or 100 at the breakfast - someone will win as long as there is an entry!:)

Yes, you must fill in your geocaching name on your paper so I can PM you through GC.com.........Your card or paper entry will be put into a separate draw container to win One unactivated geocoin of my choice from my unactivated coins. The winner will be drawn at the end of the breakfast and I will be notified by Vic-biker or Chercacher of the winner and I will subsequently notify the winner via their GC.com profile and announced it here. The coin will be about a $10/value and I will mail it to the winner if not practical for pickup.

Just one small and fun thing I can do to support the cause.:) If I wasn't working a Hunter's Breakfast in this area of the state for another group this weekend, I would be there!:mad: What a nice thing to do for the foundation...Lois you are the best...which you could be there.

hollora
11-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Ok, I have been notified by vic-biker we do have a winner! There was at least one cacher at the breakfast - and the winner is................

drum roll, please.....................

Cache Maine! The "coin" of choice is a GeoGem Diamond..........which I will see the lucky winner receives.

It sounds like, althought not not lot of folks went to the breakfast - it may have generated some income for the Foundation as well as some very value connections as well as a referral.

For those who attended - thank you! For those who could not - remember contact Vic-biker or chercacher FMI or to make an outright donation!

Thanks again - one and all!

Ekidokai
11-15-2008, 07:58 PM
I have got to watch these things more closely. It's almost 7pm and I just read about this. I would have been there. I'll be supporting this foundation.

Anything Hollora is involved in must be a good thing.

Cache Maine
11-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Woo hoo! As a Cacher Who Cares, I thought this would be a great opportunity to support a couple of fellow cachers. And, the breakfast was awesome!! As I told Vic this morning, the apple pancakes were the clincher for us....just had to try em! They were so good! We are looking forward to the next event.

Opalsns
11-16-2008, 08:18 AM
Woo Hoo Cache Maine, couldn't have gone to a better person.
Opalsns

EMSDanel
11-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Hey Vic.... I had another committment yesterday to attend to but it's now Sunday morning and after reading all of these comments about your breakfast I can practically taste it....it's almost as if I was there.....and that's good enough for me! Send me your address and I'll send along a check.....I was an absentee attendee. This is such a worthwhile cause.

Chercacher
11-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Hey Vic.... I had another committment yesterday to attend to but it's now Sunday morning and after reading all of these comments about your breakfast I can practically taste it....it's almost as if I was there.....and that's good enough for me! Send me your address and I'll send along a check.....I was an absentee attendee. This is such a worthwhile cause.

EMSDaniel

Life is busy and I know that you would have been there had you been able to be. I appreciate absentee attendees as well. Thank you so much
Here is the foundation address:

The JD Foundation
P.O. Box 130
Abbot, Maine 04406

Hugs to you,
Chercacher

Kaching Karen
11-18-2008, 06:27 PM
EMSDaniel

Here is the foundation address:

The JD Foundation
P.O. Box 130
Abbot, Maine 04406

Hugs to you,
Chercacher

Thanks Cheryl! That was going to be my next question....

Ekidokai
11-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Well this is the big weekend for the JD Foundation's first official fund raiser. If you don't already know, we are having a hunters pancake breakfast at the Lion's Club in Hollis, Me. This will be an all you can eat breakfast consisting of a pancakes, blueberry pancakes, apple pancakes, sausage, bacon, breakfast sandwiches, juice, coffee and tea. The Lion's Club is located at the intersection of rt.202 & rt.35, the doors will open at 4:30 am and we will be serving until 10:00 am. Everyone is welcome...not just hunters. We also will be selling raffle tickets for two cords of cut, split, and delivered firewood. Tickets are $5.00 each and are available at the breakfast.

Come enjoy a fantastic breakfast, support a great cause, and maybe even do some caching in the area.

I know the the Hollis Lions club well. I held several offices in the Massabesic Lions club including president. This is a great organization.

Have sent a check and thanks for posting the address.

Cache Maine
11-19-2008, 10:20 PM
You guys are awesome....thanks for supporting our fellow cachers. Welcome to our new club, Cachers Who Care!

vicbiker
11-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Just a quick update, Cheryl ( Chercacher) is going to be on channel seven news tonight on a series that Carolynn Callahan is doing on suicide. This segment which is scheduled to air at 6pm and again at 11pm tonight will be also announcing the JD Foundation and what we are all about. Again this is 6pm and 11pm on ch.7 and also at 10pm on fox 22 Bangor.

Team V3
11-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Great you guys are getting exposure for the organization. Unfortunately, I am in Portland so I will not be able to catch it.

Haffy
11-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Can someone tape it and post the video?

vicbiker
11-25-2008, 06:36 PM
I wish could do that but unfortunately Im not that smart, so if someone could do this it would be great.

hollora
11-25-2008, 09:11 PM
I wonder if you contacted the channel if they would give you a clip on digital disc? Also maybe it will be on the Channel's web site.

A very nice interview. They always clip it to just a few sound bites - glad they took good ones!

Chercacher
12-17-2008, 08:12 PM
As the holidays and the end of the year are fast approaching us, we here at the JD Foundation would like to take a moment to wish all of you Happy Holidays. We would also like to express our heartfelt appreciation for all that you have done to make our first calender year such a success. Your support, generous donations, and grateful gifts play a vital role in making a difference. Suicide is a sensitive subject that may be hard to talk about.
Together we believe we can make a difference.

With much love and a very Merry Christmas to all,

Vic and Cheryl Morin
Dave and Chris Chase

hollora
12-18-2008, 02:13 AM
As the holidays and the end of the year are fast approaching us, we here at the JD Foundation would like to take a moment to wish all of you Happy Holidays. We would also like to express our heartfelt appreciation for all that you have done to make our first calender year such a success. Your support, generous donations, and grateful gifts play a vital role in making a difference. Suicide is a sensitive subject that may be hard to talk about.
Together we believe we can make a difference.

With much love and a very Merry Christmas to all,

Vic and Cheryl Morin
Dave and Chris Chase

Dear Folks: We never may know what impact is made on the hearts we touch daily. I recently spent the time to just "talk via email" with an internet friend. Today, he sent out a newsletter and named me as someone special.

I wasn't really so special. I had just listened and corresponded with him when he was down and needed a friend. My correspondence was sincere and from the heart. And for that, I hope I have made a difference.

Life is a journey and we all contribute. Some to saying - listen - do something - act..........and then others whose solo message is not so clear. Regardless, know - to take action is reaction = good or bad, but, to do nothing is like curling up with your head in the sand and denying someone, anyone or a friend - needs to hear you right now. Reach out my friend and say...........

May this Advent season find you in Peace with yourself and your environment.........may this Christmas be Merry regardless of where or with whom you may share the day..........and may the New Year show you the door of opportunity, health, good fortune and guidance if it is needed.

There are many out there - the JD Foundations, the Vics, the Cheryls, and many more to help you...........just ask us......shoot us an email or whatever.........we will do whatever possible to help you and/or yours.

So - with all that - Merry Christmas combined with a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Cache Maine
12-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Dear Folks: We never may know what impact is made on the hearts we touch daily. I recently spent the time to just "talk via email" with an internet friend. Today, he sent out a newsletter and named me as someone special.

I wasn't really so special. I had just listened and corresponded with him when he was down and needed a friend. My correspondence was sincere and from the heart. And for that, I hope I have made a difference.

I can assure you, you have made a difference. That person was 100% completely lost and he has done well to turn things around in such a tricky situation.

Hollora, thank you for everything you do.

If we had an award for Maine cacher of the year, I think you should get it.

Opalsns
12-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Hollora,
Good to see you helping someone via email. That's got to be tough to keep someone focused and not be in the same room with them. ( ie..phone , email ). You should be an advocate for the JD foundation. You have a way with words.
Is there a link to the newsletter?

Opalsns

vicbiker
01-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Those of us associated with the JD Foundation would like to once again thank all of you for all that you do for this worth while cause. I know I have said this many times already, but you guys just keep giving and Cheryl and myself are so grateful. Thanks to two very special geocachers we now have a facebook account for the Foundation and are working on spreading the word through our fan club. Our website should also be up and running shortly.

This past week Cheryl was the keynote speaker for the Guilford Grange and the Dover Kiwanis Club. She has been asked to speak to all of the surrounding Kiwanis Clubs and invited to speak at the State Grange. We would like the opportunity to speak (do you like how I put we) to your organization to explain the JD Foundations mission.

Email: thejdfoundation@yahoo.com

Vic and Cheryl Morin
Dave and Chris Chase
POB 130
Abbot, Me. 04406

vicbiker
02-17-2009, 03:14 PM
This link will take you to our web-site for the foundation. http://www.thejdfoundation.homestead.com (http://www.thejdfoundation.homestead.com/)

Trick or Treat
02-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi Vic, the website looks great!

hollora
02-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Very nicely done. Thanks for the link.

Sudonim
02-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Very nice site, everything nicely laid out and clear.

Ekidokai
02-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Looks great.

vicbiker
02-18-2009, 09:49 PM
When Cheryl purchased the domain name we were not aware that it was not transferable for 60 days. So not until we used Homestead to build this site did we find out this little piece of information. Hence the link thejdfoundation.homestead.com that I posted yesterday. Well today they told us that even though the domain is not transferable for a couple of weeks yet, that we can use the name anyway. http://www.thejdfoundation.org
(http://www.thejdfoundation.org/)

hollora
02-18-2009, 10:18 PM
When Cheryl purchased the domain name we were not aware that it was not transferable for 60 days. So not until we used Homestead to build this site did we find out this little piece of information. Hence the link thejdfoundation.homestead.com that I posted yesterday. Well today they told us that even though the domain is not transferable for a couple of weeks yet, that we can use the name anyway. http://www.thejdfoundation.org
(http://www.thejdfoundation.org/)

That's great news! Nice going.......a bit cleaner. Now we all need to give you a bunch of hits so it pops up on a search. :)

vicbiker
02-18-2009, 11:05 PM
I click on it every few minutes....

hollora
02-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Well, that is what any proud PaPa would do.......

Ekidokai
02-19-2009, 05:57 AM
Just be careful. My mother told me if I clicked on it too many times I would go blind.

Oh that may have been something else. Never mind, click away.

vicbiker
03-12-2009, 09:59 PM
We will be at the Morton Ave Gym, Dover-Foxcroft 9-2 on Saturday the 14th of March for a indoor yardsale. 40 tables of antiques, collectibles, crafts, etc. Plenty of good food to eat, lots of great bargains to be had. Hope to see some of you there.

hollora
03-12-2009, 10:19 PM
You know I can't be there in person but will be in spirit. Hope all goes well.

EMSDanel
03-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Hey Vic...am I to understand that you'll be there with a table selling things?

vicbiker
03-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Hey Vic...am I to understand that you'll be there with a table selling things?I will and so won't my lovely wife. This is a preliminary round for our huge sale in May. We have already taken in a $100.00 and haven't sold a thing yet. People in Abbot are awesome.

vicbiker
03-13-2009, 08:19 AM
You know I can't be there in person but will be in spirit. Hope all goes well. Lois you are always there with us. This time some of your china cabinet is also there. Luv ya

hollora
03-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Lois you are always there with us. This time some of your china cabinet is also there. Luv ya

Hee, hee - that's right and I will have more! :)

EMSDanel
03-13-2009, 11:08 AM
OK, got it..... If I can break away early enough tomorrow morning you may see me there with some contributions to your table.

vicbiker
03-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Wow!! The yardsale went better then we could have hoped. Thank you everyone who donated to our sale, we can't do this without all of you. Special thanks to Ekidokia, and the EMSDaniel Team for driving all the way to Dover to bring us items for the sale. Even more important then the sale of items was all of the wonderful contacts that were made for the JD Foundation. Don't forget that our big yardsale is going to be on Memorial Day Weekend. We need all of your good clean used items for this sale. Email thejdfoundation@yahoo.com, or call 207 876 2295 to make arrangements for pickup of items. Thank you, Vic and Cheryl Morin and all of the JD Foundation members.

Ekidokai
03-14-2009, 06:35 PM
You know what? You never know who you know until you talk to them. Cheryl and I meet a long time ago in Waterboro. Nice to bring back memories.

I bought a book on snowshoeing. Needed it the other day, it was my first time on them.

Daniel brought in some really cool stuff.

hollora
04-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Nice article in the BDN today. Sounds like a Mega Yard Sale - gotta love it!

EMSDanel
04-15-2009, 11:33 PM
I echo Hollora's comment about kudos for the article in the Bangor Daily News today. I have so much adoration for your tireless efforts and unwavering focus on youth suicide prevention. It is worth every second you put into it. We all need to be more aware of the signs and symptoms that present and that often go unnoticed. And thanks to you, the article in today's BDN brings attention to those indications. I'm so glad you are there, leading the effort to educate.