View Full Version : Hello, fellow geocachers

HStaples
11-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Hi, My partner and I are new to the sport, and have logged (what, 3-4 finds) from the past couple of weekends out doing this. Have had lots of fun. Just bought a Garmin nuvi 255W for the car, and a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx GPSr for handheld action. I also use my Blackberry with Geocache Navigator software from Trimble for logs, notes, etc. However, I have found that the Blackberry is really hard to use as far as bouncing all over the place when I get near. Hoping the Garmin works better for us.

I live in Portland, and partner lives in Sebago. So, we're hunting all over those areas. Loved finding a magnetic nano today, that was fun! Logged a DNF on the A Peaceful Read cache in Evergreen Cemetery out past the duck ponds - just could not find that sucker. Funny story - while hunting, I (being a woman of "substance") got stuck almost up to my knees in mud. Yup, it was a rainy few days, I guess. I was so freaked out - I had the most hellish time getting unburied (in the cemetery, no less), but thankfully my partner was there to help me get out. Was going to have to call 911 and explain what I was doing out there! :)

We're planning on planting a cache up in the Sebago area very soon - small/regular sized one and have the perfect container for it. Partner owns land up there, so will be easy enough to find a good hide for you folk to find! :)

Anyway, happy caching, and see you around the woods!

hide_from_the_kids
11-09-2008, 08:49 PM
welcome to the site and to the sport. hope you enjoy your time out cacheing and also hope you enjoy the site. there is a lot of info here and if you can't find it ask the members.they are all happy to share.

Trick or Treat
11-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Greetings! We are new to caching as well and having a great time. We live in Freeport so haven't made it out Sebago way yet, but do go in Portland. Let us know if want to do a joint caching adventure!

Team Richards
11-10-2008, 01:34 AM
Welcome always good to see new cachers. We haven't had a chance to cache in the Sebago area this Summer we'll be watching for your cache.

kayaking loon
11-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Just wanted to also say WELCOME. I loved your story about getting stuck in the mud. I did that once trying to put a kayak in at Greenbush Pond near here. It was actually kind of scary. :eek:

HStaples
11-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Just wanted to also say WELCOME. I loved your story about getting stuck in the mud. I did that once trying to put a kayak in at Greenbush Pond near here. It was actually kind of scary. :eek:

You are right - was damn scary.

HStaples
11-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Greetings! We are new to caching as well and having a great time. We live in Freeport so haven't made it out Sebago way yet, but do go in Portland. Let us know if want to do a joint caching adventure!

Sure, that'd be fun sometime!

Haffy
11-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Just bought a Garmin nuvi 255W for the car!

You might also want to try out this great application for the Nuvi of yours to get all those caches into it as well.

Located here: http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

HStaples
11-10-2008, 08:08 PM
You might also want to try out this great application for the Nuvi of yours to get all those caches into it as well.

Located here: http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

Ohhhh that looks sexy. And technical. Will bookmark it for when I get semi-gps literate :) Thanks for sharing!

hollora
11-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Ohhhh that looks sexy. And technical. Will bookmark it for when I get semi-gps literate :) Thanks for sharing!

I use that with my Nuvi 350 and even after I found my Palm haven't loaded it again. It works great! Paperless caching is the way to go and this allows you to have it all right there.

I do use another GPSr when I get out of the car. Sometimes my Garmin 76C but I have found the old yellow Extrex works just great.

HStaples
11-11-2008, 12:32 AM
I use that with my Nuvi 350 and even after I found my Palm haven't loaded it again. It works great! Paperless caching is the way to go and this allows you to have it all right there.

I do use another GPSr when I get out of the car. Sometimes my Garmin 76C but I have found the old yellow Extrex works just great.

Yeah, I'm using my Garmin eTrex Legend HCx now for outside the car, after I park. I'm thinking it is much more accurate than the Blackberry. Thanks!