View Full Version : Craft Corner

Opalsns
11-11-2008, 07:03 PM
I have an idea and I'd like feedback on it .....

........Would any cachers be interested in starting a thread on crafting Signature Items . I ,like many of us out there, collect SIs and some are amazing. From Marble Magnets, to keychains, to Mini Pictures in a Mini Envelope, to Golf Tees. We could share Ideas and make each others ideas and show the pictures of them on this thread. We can put them in caches and let each other know if one was found, etc...This could also be a help to NooBs that are not sure what they should use.
It could also include Designing Caches or Travel Bug Hitch Hikers or Event Favors, etc .....
Whatyathink?:o
Opalsns

ahbah
11-11-2008, 08:18 PM
I think it's a great idea i love sig items but there doesn't seem to be to many anymore with the path tags and lack of caches to put them in

Kacky
11-11-2008, 09:35 PM
I think it's a great idea. If anyone has an idea for a sig item they'd like to create but don't know where to start, the crafters could make useful suggestions.

WhereRWe?
11-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Brdad has quite a collection of sig item photos (http://bytethebullet.com/geocaching/signature_items.htm). Not sure how up to date it is, but it has a lot... :D:D

brdad
11-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Brdad has quite a collection of sig item photos (http://bytethebullet.com/geocaching/signature_items.htm). Not sure how up to date it is, but it has a lot... :D:D

I have been slacking! I have 20 or 30 more that I haven't taken pictures of!

Haffy
11-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Those are my favorite things to collect while out caching. I have 3 FULL cigar boxes full of sig items that I have collected over the years. Now all I have to do is sit down one of these days and catalog and photograph each one. That will be quite the task I can see now. Those of you who have my 1st one of 13 original sig items,well they are collectors items now. Maybe someday they will be worth something. :)

Opalsns
11-12-2008, 06:53 PM
OK, Let me try this again.

I have an idea and I'd like feedback on it .....

........Would any cachers be interested in starting a thread on crafting Signature Items . I ,like many of us out there, collect SIs and some are amazing. From Marble Magnets, to keychains, to Mini Pictures in a Mini Envelope, to Golf Tees. We could share Ideas and make each others ideas and show the pictures of them on this thread. We can put them in caches and let each other know if one was found, etc...This could also be a help to NooBs that are not sure what they should use.
It could also include Designing Caches or Travel Bug Hitch Hikers or Event Favors, etc .....
I don't want to know who has what. I'm not trying to be rude. I'm trying to get opinions on starting this thread.
Kacky and ahbah said it's a great idea,
Now,
Whatyathink?:o
Opalsns

brdad
11-12-2008, 08:12 PM
With all due respect, looking at other people's signature items can help cachers decide what they might like to create, whether it's a similar idea or an offshoot of an existing one. Your idea is a good one, just run with it and time will tell how much interest there is.

Opalsns
11-13-2008, 09:11 AM
With all due respect, looking at other people's signature items can help cachers decide what they might like to create, whether it's a similar idea or an offshoot of an existing one. Your idea is a good one, just run with it and time will tell how much interest there is.

This is more than being about what people can do for Sig Items. It's about bringing cachers together, sharing ideas and stories about those ideas and opening a dialouge between young and old and new cachers. AND keeping it on track, which, so far , 2 board memebers COULD'T do.
And ,Yes, Time will tell all.
Opalsns:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

hide_from_the_kids
11-13-2008, 09:18 AM
I Think That This Is A Good Idea. There Are Alot Of Cachers Out There With Different Talents. I Feel My Wife Is Very Crafty But I Can't Say She Will Have The Extra Time To Help But I Would Be Willing To Give A Hand When I Can. She Collects Sig Items And I Enjoy Looking At Them With Her. (we Have Ffj Ladder). I Find That The Innitial Idea For A Sig Item Is Hard To Get Out Of Its First Stages. With Help We Might Start Seeing More Of Them Again.

Team V3
11-13-2008, 09:23 AM
I like the idea. I have seen many coins that I often drool over. I would like to design a coin for Team V3 at some point but I really have no idea how to go about it or how much it will even run us.

hollora
11-13-2008, 12:19 PM
I like the idea. I have seen many coins that I often drool over. I would like to design a coin for Team V3 at some point but I really have no idea how to go about it or how much it will even run us.

The basics of a coin are on the Geocaching dot com forums under Geocoins. In the top under pinned threads. It describes a lot of the basic information.

The first decision to be made, IMHO, is trackable or not. Because, the trackable piece is one item which effects the price per coin ($1.50 per coin).

A less expensive alternative to Geocoins (but there isn't the same kind of tracking) is a Pathtag. You can see these on Pathtags dot com. A much smaller investment than a coin.:)

hollora
11-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Bringing this back to crafts and sig items, I attended an event (think it was the first by KachingKaren)....where there was a craft table for kids to make sig items. That is fun at a winter event when there is space.

The Be An Elf Event is very busy so it wouldn't work at that one - but perhaps another.

balinda
11-13-2008, 12:25 PM
I have been dreaming of creating a signature item over the winter. I loved the idea of the painted acorns. I was worried about sealing what ever I paint well enough so it won't be affected by the weather.

I was thinking of a small talking stick which would be a finders stick. The one carrying the stick gets to look for the cache first.

I was thinking about painting it in an Australian style. Lots of bright colored dots.

Team V3
11-13-2008, 12:30 PM
I have come across a few pathtags as well. I have some general design ideas but it is something I want both my wife and son to get in on as well since it is the three of us that make Team V3. Maybe we can start by doing the general design on a pathtag and if we like it eventually further develop it into a coin.

Opalsns
11-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Bringing this back to crafts and sig items, I attended an event (think it was the first by KachingKaren)....where there was a craft table for kids to make sig items. That is fun at a winter event when there is space.

The Be An Elf Event is very busy so it wouldn't work at that one - but perhaps another.

The idea is to have a thread on this forum to talk about ideas and share ideas and make them or help folks make theirs, not at an Event.

Opalsns
11-13-2008, 12:59 PM
I have been dreaming of creating a signature item over the winter. I loved the idea of the painted acorns. I was worried about sealing what ever I paint well enough so it won't be affected by the weather.

I was thinking of a small talking stick which would be a finders stick. The one carrying the stick gets to look for the cache first.

I was thinking about painting it in an Australian style. Lots of bright colored dots.
Both are great ideas, I use an indoor / outdoor clear spray sealer from walmart. around $1 a can. I use it on my caches as well and if you have done any, you'll see they hold up pretty well!;)
Opalsns

hollora
11-13-2008, 01:21 PM
The idea is to have a thread on this forum to talk about ideas and share ideas and make them or help folks make theirs, not at an Event.

Thank you for pointing that out. Back to my corner LOL

I just mentioned this because it was before you started caching. The kids enjoyed it a lot and it did take some coordination and help.

Like I said - back to my corner as I couldn't help make a folded star and all the things I have done were not original ideas.

Opalsns
11-13-2008, 01:44 PM
I can appreciate the crafting at events. Cachin' Crow is having an event October 2009 and I've used many ideas from events and caches in creating it. I, too, will have a crafty happening. I have stickers, markers and card stock so that all the cachers can fold up and design their own Geocoin box, and enter for a 1st prize. I will be looking for several ideas for event prizes, hides and favours.
Opalsns

WhereRWe?
11-13-2008, 02:31 PM
AND keeping it on track, which, so far , 2 board memebers COULD'T do.

Sorry. I thought this was "a thread on crafting Signature Items". I also thought that posting a link to pictures of signature items used by local cachers was appropriate.

Silly me! LOL!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Opalsns
11-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Sorry. I thought this was "a thread on crafting Signature Items". I also thought that posting a link to pictures of signature items used by local cachers was appropriate.

Silly me! LOL!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Silly You ! LOL,
No, this is a thread on sharing thoughts and ideas on creating SIs and HOW to do them, and bringing SIs back to life.
I'm sure everyone on this site knows of the PHOTO section and that there is a whole bunch dedicated to SI and collecting them. Even the NooBs know because the welcoming committe would have pointed that stuff out to them, right !?! I thought so !
Now, can I have my Silly little thread, where me and other Silly cachers can do the Crafting thing , hmmmm???????
Please ? :confused:
Opalsns

Opalsns
11-15-2008, 09:03 AM
One style of SI is the Calling Card. Cachers print up a design that represents them or their team and lamiate the cards. First, I recommend a PAPER CUTTER !!! You can find them in any store.They are small, portable and east to use. Second, Alot of people will use a heat style laminate, Though expensive, they make a sturdier card. I use the Self sticking laminate that can be purchased at any Walmart for sure. It's a little flimsier than the other, but works well. I print the sheet, stick laminate on front and back and cut them to size on the paper cutter. Last, I add a lapel pin , which are very collectable to cachers. And there you have it. Your Geocaching Calling Card.

Opalsns

PS: Draw your own logo or have the kids color up designs for a really Unique card.

Opalsns
11-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Well brad, you're wish came true. no interest.

I'd like to thank the board for all their support.

Opalsns

Haffy
11-16-2008, 10:04 AM
I think I have had about 4 different SI's since I started geocaching. My first one was a limited production of a metal water plasma cut disk with Haffy engraved into it.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/3signature_item_005_Large_.jpg

My second one was a specially made Maine bill. Can't find a picture of that one though.

My third and similar one to the one I have now was another Maine outline with my avatar in the center of it.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/forhaffy.jpg

The one I have now is basically the same but now since I live in SC I used the state outline as well.

I make them simply by printing them off on magnetic sheets which I can get from Wally World for approximately a buck a sheet. I get 16 of them per sheet and then cut them out. I then just slip each individual cut out into one of those little plastic baggies which also come from Wally World which I buy 100 of them for about 2 bucks. All in all I have less then 10 dollars invested in some unique refrigerator magnets for my own signature item. Which reminds me I have to make some more.:D

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/Haffy-2.jpg

Opalsns
11-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Haffy,
How or where did you get 1st SIs done? They are very cool and uniqe. I've never seen one like it.
I've seen the dollar bills, also very neat.
Do you laminate the bills?

Haffy
11-16-2008, 11:02 AM
My son, who works at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard is a machinest and he made them. No I didn't laminate the bills I just put them in a baggie to keep them dry.

Mainiac1957
11-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Well brad, you're wish came true. no interest.

I'd like to thank the board for all their support.

Opalsns

I never said a thing about this thread. What gives?

Mainiac1957
11-16-2008, 11:04 AM
I think I have had about 4 different SI's since I started geocaching. My first one was a limited production of a metal water plasma cut disk with Haffy engraved into it.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/3signature_item_005_Large_.jpg

My second one was a specially made Maine bill. Can't find a picture of that one though.

My third and similar one to the one I have now was another Maine outline with my avatar in the center of it.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/forhaffy.jpg

The one I have now is basically the same but now since I live in SC I used the state outline as well.

I make them simply by printing them off on magnetic sheets which I can get from Wally World for approximately a buck a sheet. I get 16 of them per sheet and then cut them out. I then just slip each individual cut out into one of those little plastic baggies which also come from Wally World which I buy 100 of them for about 2 bucks. All in all I have less then 10 dollars invested in some unique refrigerator magnets for my own signature item. Which reminds me I have to make some more.:D

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/Haffy-2.jpg

The only way I got one of the engraved ones is picking it up out of a cache when it was being dropped in by you. Right place....right time...:cool:

Opalsns
11-16-2008, 11:50 AM
I never said a thing about this thread. What gives?

Not you ............Bradaad or whatever, Sheesh if you never posted, why would you think it was you??? Don't get silly on me now. LOL !!!
I refer to you as Maniac1957, ...Now that I've got you,
.... how do you make your magnets, I've got 3 of your Monster Car s and my first event. Do you print right on the magnet or stick them on after???

Mainiac1957
11-16-2008, 05:54 PM
.... how do you make your magnets, I've got 3 of your Monster Car s and my first event. Do you print right on the magnet or stick them on after???

Same way Haffy does them

Haffy
11-16-2008, 06:11 PM
The only way I got one of the engraved ones is picking it up out of a cache when it was being dropped in by you. Right place....right time...:cool:

Cherish it ,there were only 13 made so feel fortunate you got one of them...:D

Mainiac1957
11-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Cherish it ,there were only 13 made so feel fortunate you got one of them...:D

I have well over 300 sig items I have collected and that is still one of my favorites.

ahbah
11-16-2008, 08:15 PM
:eek:wish you wouldn't give up so quick as this is my favorite thing about cacheing is the home made stuff i love the path tags but it's taking away from the good stuff i have a huge collection which i want buried with me

Opalsns
11-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Not Givin' up

Love your Ladybug, Your design?

pjpreb
11-16-2008, 10:34 PM
We have a few different sig items out there and we enjoyed creating and distributing each one. It is cool to see a cacher create an item that speaks to their identity and leave it behind as a "gift" for another cacher to collect.

I got my ideas for sig items from seeing what other cachers had created and adapting the ideas to something that was appropriate for us, affordable and fun. I didn't think either board member went "off topic" by posting other sig item photos because I found that to be very helpful. I also appreciated the mention of a crafting table at events as that is a great breeding ground for sig item ideas (as well as being really fun for the kids).

When you start a thread, sometimes others will approach your topic from an angle you didn't expect. I have enjoyed this thread and every single idea from every single person that took the time to post to it.

Opalsns
11-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Great,
Now tell us what you made and how you made them, I think this is more helpful than just looking at a picture. And that's why I started this thread to begin with.
RE: the board's comments, After they commented, the thread started going to Who has the most rather than what they made. And then the "Time will tell how much interest there is" comment , to me was like saying , " you're wasting your time",
and just as you and many others don't find a problem with it, I did.
Also, the event idea is great, but I'm not talking about events, I'm talking about a thread. Alot of folks don't even go to Events.
I hope this helps you to understand what I'm trying to do.
Now , since all this has been so helpful to you, Please, tell us what you made and how you made it.
I think that would be helpful to someone.
Thanx,
Hi Chip,
Opalsns

PS: Do what you like. Like what you do. Life is good.

masterson of the universe
11-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I don't really use a signature item as I don't do enough caching to really spread them out. I've thought about it a bunch though. If you walk through the craft section at Walmart or AC Moore, it generates a few ideas.

The only item I've collected so far is a silver FFJ ladder. These appear to be made of wood. Two small beams connected by 5 little dowels. It appears he pre-drills holes in each beam, inserts a little wood glue (possibly Elmers) and then connects the two with the 5 precut dowels.

Sorry if this seems a little sarcastic. :rolleyes::D

ltlindian
11-17-2008, 12:12 PM
I like Kayaking Loon's refrigerator magnet. It's a picture of a loon. I would like to know how she made it. I wanted to get a bunch of arrowheads as our sig item but I don't know where to purchase them inexpensively. I'm not very crafty so I don't envision myself making anything. My kids would love to though!

Opalsns
11-17-2008, 12:21 PM
I don't really use a signature item as I don't do enough caching to really spread them out. I've thought about it a bunch though. If you walk through the craft section at Walmart or AC Moore, it generates a few ideas.

The only item I've collected so far is a silver FFJ ladder. These appear to be made of wood. Two small beams connected by 5 little dowels. It appears he pre-drills holes in each beam, inserts a little wood glue (possibly Elmers) and then connects the two with the 5 precut dowels.

Sorry if this seems a little sarcastic. :rolleyes::D

Lucky You, I would love to come across one of them FFJ ladders. In my opinion they are very collectable. He also painted several different colors.
Limited Editions, if you will.

Awesome,
Opalsns

pjpreb
11-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Our first sig item was a bandana. We created our "logo" using MS Publisher(similar to Haffy's with the State of Maine in it) and printed them on iron-on transfer paper. Then we cut out the shape and ironed it on to bandanas that we bought on the internet. The other sig item (our current one) is a snowflake crocheted out of string that we tie onto a laminated caching card. (and as crummy as I am at crochet - no 2 snowflakes are alike).

Opalsns
11-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Our first sig item was a bandana. We created our "logo" using MS Publisher(similar to Haffy's with the State of Maine in it) and printed them on iron-on transfer paper. Then we cut out the shape and ironed it on to bandanas that we bought on the internet. The other sig item (our current one) is a snowflake crocheted out of string that we tie onto a laminated caching card. (and as crummy as I am at crochet - no 2 snowflakes are alike).

I like the snowflake idea, must take awhile to do up a bunch. I don't have any of your SIs yet, I'd love to come across your snowflake, Very Cool
Opalsns

Haffy
11-17-2008, 06:48 PM
I like the snowflake idea, must take awhile to do up a bunch. I don't have any of your SIs yet, I'd love to come across your snowflake, Very Cool
Opalsns

I have a snowflake,it came attached to my cacher tag TB and also I have one of the "PINK" bandanas as well.... And yes PJ I still have it too....;)

ahbah
11-17-2008, 09:14 PM
my sig item is made out of sculpey to make mine but i have made many different things as i cache under 2 names i have made mini walking sticks mini gpsr silver spoon handel key cahins and am working on geo trading cards now

pjpreb
11-17-2008, 09:20 PM
I have a snowflake,it came attached to my cacher tag TB and also I have one of the "PINK" bandanas as well.... And yes PJ I still have it too....;)

awwwwww - big wet kisses your way Haffy :)

Opalsns
11-18-2008, 09:41 AM
my sig item is made out of sculpey to make mine but i have made many different things as i cache under 2 names i have made mini walking sticks mini gpsr silver spoon handel key cahins and am working on geo trading cards now

We carve full size walking sticks, how very cool mini walking sticks woud be. I'd love to find one. Like Pjpreb stated, they're little handmade gifts left for other cachers.:p
Opalsns

kayaking loon
11-18-2008, 03:07 PM
I like Kayaking Loon's refrigerator magnet. It's a picture of a loon. I would like to know how she made it. I wanted to get a bunch of arrowheads as our sig item but I don't know where to purchase them inexpensively. I'm not very crafty so I don't envision myself making anything. My kids would love to though!

I was able to help Itlindian and she's on her way to making signature items. I only hope I get to find one of them! Now let's see if anyone has suggestions for me. I'm not "crafty", can't draw a straight line with a ruler. But with the help of a friend I made signature cards on the computer and after a bit decided they had to be laminated unless you like cards with mildew on them. We also tried printing the cards on magnetic paper and almost ruined the printer. Question: how do people get those to print without wrecking anything??

The next year I bought loon magnets from CafePress.com, also pins. And finally I got smart enough to sign the magnets on the back with silver ink so they were "mine" (sort of). But what can I do next? The only "craft" I do is knitting and I can't knit loons! I've thought of something like cross stitch on plastic mesh, but.... not sure that would be any good.

If I were starting over I'd think of a name and signature item BOTH, before I started. I really like sig items and collect them. I have a FFJ silver ladder and a couple of PJ Preb's snowflakes, both very nice. Pathtags take a bit of creativity. You can buy them pre-designed but if you design your own or at least have a lot of input into the design (which I did for mine) they are "sort of" your creation.

So what can I do next for loons? I've bought wooden ones from time to time, and plaster loons that I used to be able to get for 50 cents (they cost more now). Any ideas? :confused:

hide_from_the_kids
11-18-2008, 03:25 PM
So what can I do next for loons? I've bought wooden ones from time to time, and plaster loons that I used to be able to get for 50 cents (they cost more now). Any ideas? :confused:
DO YOU HAVE A WOOD BURNER? YOU CAN TAKE SMALL SQUARE/RECTANGLE PIECES OF WOOD AND BURN A OUTLINE OF A LOON ON THAT. ALL YOU NEED IS A STEADY HAND AND AN STENCIL.:)

kayaking loon
11-18-2008, 04:02 PM
DO YOU HAVE A WOOD BURNER? YOU CAN TAKE SMALL SQUARE/RECTANGLE PIECES OF WOOD AND BURN A OUTLINE OF A LOON ON THAT. ALL YOU NEED IS A STEADY HAND AND AN STENCIL.:)

No wood burner. A fairly steady hand. Where would I get a loon stencil?

And I hope I'm not derailing the thread but here's a site I found that might help with ideas. Check out

www.geocities.com/team_fisur/geo-creations (http://www.geocities.com/team_fisur/geo-creations)

hide_from_the_kids
11-18-2008, 07:36 PM
No wood burner. A fairly steady hand. Where would I get a loon stencil?

And I hope I'm not derailing the thread but here's a site I found that might help with ideas. Check out

www.geocities.com/team_fisur/geo-creations (http://www.geocities.com/team_fisur/geo-creations)

I WOULD CHECK LOCAL CRAFT STORES OR PRINT SOMETHING OFF THE COMPUTER. WOOD BURNER YOU CAN GET THERE AS WELL OR WALL*E MART.

hide_from_the_kids
11-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Those Are Some Good Ideas At That Site

ahbah
11-18-2008, 09:15 PM
why dont u make a small kayak and paint a loon on it

Opalsns
11-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Maybe you can do what Misteelee does, Cardinal on a cliff. LOON on a Lake.
It could be a loon sticker on a small square blue tile. How about a Loon head with their beautiful red eyes and a paddle in it's beak. Also. visit ebay, search loons.
Maybe a Printed Loon ironed on to a Hankerchief, like PJpreb's bandanas.
so many ideas!!!
Opalsns

kayaking loon
11-19-2008, 09:12 AM
why dont u make a small kayak and paint a loon on it

Er... what part of "not crafty" don't you understand? I actually used to carve small lobster boats out of cedar or pine when I was a kid. But then I had an uncle who could do anything and he was there to watch and advise. But they took a long, long time to make. I'm thinking more like "mass production". Well, maybe not "mass" but I'd like to produce more than one signature item this winter. And I would like to have a different signature item each year. The winters are long up here. :) And I definitely can't paint. If I painted a loon it would probably look like a sick chicken.

kayaking loon
11-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Maybe you can do what Misteelee does, Cardinal on a cliff. LOON on a Lake.
It could be a loon sticker on a small square blue tile. How about a Loon head with their beautiful red eyes and a paddle in it's beak. Also. visit ebay, search loons.
Maybe a Printed Loon ironed on to a Hankerchief, like PJpreb's bandanas.
so many ideas!!!
Opalsns

Now those ideas are more my speed! I have thought about glueing loons on something blue and that was a possibility when I could buy the small loons at Sherman's for 50 cents each. Now all I can find are $1.50 or $2.00 each. So questions here are:

1. Is there anywhere I can buy small, inexpensive loons?
2. Where would I buy small blue tiles?
3. Where can I buy loon stickers??
4. How would I go about getting a printed loon to iron on to something?

I have searched E-bay before, got a few loons from there last year which I put in caches but they weren't exactly inexpensive. And I've serached the 'net for loons, stickers, etc. Maybe some crafty cacher will see what I need and direct me to it. I can glue with the best of them. And I probably could iron too although it's been a while.... :D

Opalsns
11-19-2008, 11:03 AM
KL,
Both Haffy and PJpreb could help you on the iron ons, and I'm going to do some crafty searches to see what loonage I can find. What ever you make WILL be awesome I'm sure.

Opalsns

Opalsns
11-19-2008, 11:21 AM
KayakingLoon,
I found these 2 auctions on ebay, just do a search on the number,...
... 150310801518 and 110313431827 .
I could see you gluing these little babies to a blue flat glass marble like Mapachi uses.
Opalsns

ahbah
11-19-2008, 11:22 AM
The best part of a sig item is the imperfections of the things u make if u want perfect u can but that stuff i as a rule just get an idea and statr working and let things go from there i'm not crafty but i like the stuff i make you could get a rubber stamp made and use sculpy to work from there stamps don't cost much

Opalsns
11-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Ahbah,
Is sculpy that foam stuff that hardens when it dries?

Sabby
11-19-2008, 12:03 PM

Have you tried a local ceramic tile store? You might be able to pick up a 12" by 12" sheet of 2" tiles at a reasonable price.

kayaking loon
11-19-2008, 01:09 PM
KayakingLoon,
I found these 2 auctions on ebay, just do a search on the number,...
... 150310801518 and 110313431827 .
I could see you gluing these little babies to a blue flat glass marble like Mapachi uses.
Opalsns

Those are the loons I bought last year. Since they were carved out of mushrooms (in China) they were a bit soft and also too big to glue on a half marble. Some had their wings falling off. And since they were soft, they would damage easily (life can be a bit rough inside a cache). And with all the bad press lately, I don't trust Chinese mushrooms...:eek:

Thanks for looking though!

Opalsns
11-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Those are the loons I bought last year. Since they were carved out of mushrooms (in China) they were a bit soft and also too big to glue on a half marble. Some had their wings falling off. And since they were soft, they would damage easily (life can be a bit rough inside a cache). And with all the bad press lately, I don't trust Chinese mushrooms...:eek:

Thanks for looking though!

Tee Hee, Chinese Mushrooms !!!
I'll keep an eye out.
Opalsns:)

ahbah
11-19-2008, 06:52 PM
scuply is like clay and u bake it it hardens well and stays well. I have had at least 100 different ideas for ur sig item love to put ideas together im going to make some mini ammo boxes with my grandson this weekend for his sig item

hide_from_the_kids
11-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Now those ideas are more my speed! I have thought about glueing loons on something blue and that was a possibility when I could buy the small loons at Sherman's for 50 cents each. Now all I can find are $1.50 or $2.00 each. So questions here are:

1. Is there anywhere I can buy small, inexpensive loons?
3. Where can I buy loon stickers??
4. How would I go about getting a printed loon to iron on to something?

I have searched E-bay before, got a few loons from there last year which I put in caches but they weren't exactly inexpensive. And I've serached the 'net for loons, stickers, etc. Maybe some crafty cacher will see what I need and direct me to it. I can glue with the best of them. And I probably could iron too although it's been a while.... :D

have you checked big als in wiscasset?

Cache Maine
11-19-2008, 08:39 PM
I get lots of my ideas from online swap pages. Here is a pic of the swap followed by the rock army that I made:
http://www.geocities.com/cameoooooo/swap_petrock.jpghttp://www.geocities.com/cameoooooo/rockarmy0021.jpg
After putting each soldier in their own case with a little sand, I gave them out at one of Rick's events. Not sure if people still have them or not.

Cache Maine
11-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Here is a picture of the bbq invite....I attached one of our pathtags to the invite with a glue dot to ensure that it didn't move during mailing.
http://www.geocities.com/cameoooooo/pathtaginvitation.jpg

Medawisla
11-19-2008, 09:03 PM
These were awesome! Not only a lot of thought and effort appreciated, but then we all had to name them! I think mine's called Pebbles. She's on my desk at work! I love it! :D

I get lots of my ideas from online swap pages. Here is a pic of the swap followed by the rock army that I made: After putting each soldier in their own case with a little sand, I gave them out at one of Rick's events. Not sure if people still have them or not.

Cache Maine
11-19-2008, 10:05 PM
These were awesome! Not only a lot of thought and effort appreciated, but then we all had to name them! I think mine's called Pebbles. She's on my desk at work! I love it! :D

LOL, that is right! I forgot that I made people name them in order to get one! LOL he he heh

Back to the regularly scheduled program.... :D

Opalsns
11-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Cache Maine, your SIs are very cool and I get excited every time I find one !!!! I still love the mini envelope and pictures and look through them every now and again !!!
And Hubby Cache Maine, I love all the designs you come up with on the PTs.
Surely some of the coolest , craftiest, ideas !!!!
Opalsns

kayaking loon
11-20-2008, 08:49 AM
scuply is like clay and u bake it it hardens well and stays well. I have had at least 100 different ideas for ur sig item love to put ideas together im going to make some mini ammo boxes with my grandson this weekend for his sig item

I'm getting really interested in sculpy now. AND, my daughter is very artistic and used to be able to do great things with modeling clay. She got all the "artistic" genes that passed me by. Oriental Trading Company has a good online selection. Anybody have any tips and hints for using sculpy? I already have some ideas...

And for those who say "go to your local tile store or craft store".... it's over an hour drive to even the nearest Wal-Mart and two hours to the nearest Michaels.. so online sources help a lot!

Opalsns
11-20-2008, 08:58 AM
KL,
Instead of tiles, there are pretty rocks up your way. I was collecting a couple at the Moose Lookout cache, (forgot the name )
Little blue or green pieces of slate would be cool, if they're not frozen in the ground ,LOL!!!!
Opalsns

balinda
11-20-2008, 12:50 PM
It is fun to work with sculpy but the chemical make up of the clay is dangerous for children. You need to get them to was their hands thoroughly after touching the soft clay. Also the surfaces which the clay it molded on (tables, etc) need to be cleaned well after. I use aluminum foil and tape it onto the surface I will be using that way I just have to fold up the foil and use it another day.

Warning #2 - the fumes from the cooking sculpy are rather stinky. The directions say something about a well ventilated area. That implies to me bad stuff in the fumes.

I only play with sculpy in the warm weather days when I can open my door and get fresh air into my house.

balinda
11-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Kayaking Loon, you should think about "Shrinky Dinks" it is a plastic sheet that you print on and then cut out and cook. It shrinks to a clear plastic thing.

I have used large rubber stamps and them colored them in. The glue onto surfaces real well and if you put a hole in them the make great pendants for necklaces.

My kids figured out that you could use sharpies on the shiny side and it would be permanent. They made pendants with different sayings on them and just colored the backs with designs (circles and squiggly lines, etc).

The "Klutz Shrinky Dink" book is a great resource with lots of great ideas. My nonartistic 7 year old boy made some things.

pjpreb
11-20-2008, 06:58 PM
For the bandanas we created the image on the computer and then printed them on iron-on transfer paper (which we bought at Office Max). If you are clever with your layout you can get several images on one sheet of iron-on transfer and then cut them out. We got the bandanas on line for about 50 cents each.

hollora
11-20-2008, 07:16 PM
For the bandanas we created the image on the computer and then printed them on iron-on transfer paper (which we bought at Office Max). If you are clever with your layout you can get several images on one sheet of iron-on transfer and then cut them out. We got the bandanas on line for about 50 cents each.

And for those who need to order on-line vs. ride a long time to the store ;) Office Max is on line. Also Staples and many of the others. :)

ahbah
11-20-2008, 11:49 PM
i have been using sculpey for years and had no ill effects yet and neither have my grand children last nite i made a kayak and pulled the front up and into the shape of a loon Somewhat it looked pretty nice to have ur daughter make something would be awesome. and as for the smell it smells better than my cooking!!!!!!!!

Opalsns
11-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Tee Hee,sculpy loaf again ?!?

Is there a difference between Sculpy and Feemo ??
Opalsns

ahbah
11-21-2008, 06:41 PM
yes there is and i don't like working with the femo it is not as plyable.

kayaking loon
11-22-2008, 08:48 AM
It is fun to work with sculpy but the chemical make up of the clay is dangerous for children. You need to get them to was their hands thoroughly after touching the soft clay. Also the surfaces which the clay it molded on (tables, etc) need to be cleaned well after. I use aluminum foil and tape it onto the surface I will be using that way I just have to fold up the foil and use it another day.

Warning #2 - the fumes from the cooking sculpy are rather stinky. The directions say something about a well ventilated area. That implies to me bad stuff in the fumes.

I only play with sculpy in the warm weather days when I can open my door and get fresh air into my house.

Well, my "kid" will be 40 years old her next birthday so I guess she'll know enough to wash her hands without Mom telling her. But she does have a serious lung problem (disabled) so fumes might be a bad thing. BUT, she lives with us in the winter so I could bake them at her house. She never uses her oven anyway, probably sculpy would be the only thing ever cooked in it. :D Problem solved!? And I will look into shrinky dinks and iron-on transfer paper and.... whatever. Hopefully, after the snow comes and finally goes, there will be new home-made KL sig items, "coming soon to a cache near you"! Thanks for all the tips and help!

Kacky
11-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Opal, if you have an idea for something you'd like to make, post it and the crafters can tell you how to do it.