View Full Version : Who pays for this stuff

d’76
04-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember paying for a subscription to Geocaching Maine.

Who pays for the maintance and upgrades for the web site

WhereRWe?
04-11-2005, 06:07 PM
I've also brought this up a couple of times...

But the answer is, attroll is footing the bill for now, and he says it isn't much. I've suggested taking up a collection at geocaching events, but he has declined.

I think Rick should be reimbursed his expenses, at least.

IMHO.

(And I don't dare bring up the idea of a dues paying Maine Geocaching Association again, no siree I'm not. No way. Nope. :eek: )

Haffy
04-11-2005, 06:32 PM
Rick shares this site with another servor of his at www.whiteblaze.net which is much larger than this site will probably ever be. And Bruce you finally said something that makes sense....lol :D But I too would be willing to come up with an annual dues or something just to help out with the website,,,,,,even if I don't have a job. :rolleyes:

Team2hunt
04-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Maybe at the next event we could have an auction or raffle. Everyone brings something, (small value $5.00) and we sell raffle tickets or have an auction. All the money raised goes towards site. Suggestions: geocoins, TB tags unactivated, signature cache items for the collection, hats, geocache books, or any questionable gag gifts. Make it fun. We also would be happy to pay a yearly dues to the site.

WhereRWe?
04-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Rick shares this site with another servor of his at www.whiteblaze.net which is much larger than this site will probably ever be. And Bruce you finally said something that makes sense....lol :D But I too would be willing to come up with an annual dues or something just to help out with the website,,,,,,even if I don't have a job. :rolleyes:

Everything I say makes sense. It's up to YOU to be able to understand it! :D

Forest_Nymph
04-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Great idea !!

A fund raiser sounds like it would be a nice way to help out our loyal
"sponsor"

I would donate an item.... It's not much, but might be of interest because it's a one-of-a-kind thingy... (Artsy/crafty item) It is a geocache logo hand painted on a small slate tile. ( I was going to place it in our 1st cache as a FTF item.)

Unfortunately, we will not be able to attend the next event... Something could be arranged though.....you know where to find me if interested. lol

Cache Maine
04-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Excellent ideas guys...maybe a silent auction would work too.

attroll
04-12-2005, 12:21 AM
As previously mentioned, I am not worried about the price it cost to keep the site going here. I have it running on another server that I am renting space on for another very large web site that pays for itself. So there is no monthly fee right now. But if we grow as large as my other site is then we will have to talk. But we have a long ways to match my other site. It has over 5,500 users and the same amount of photos or more. Like I said I get enough donations from users on that site to keep that one going. So don’t worry about paying to join the Geocaching Maine web site.

But I do have a problem right now with the software this site is being run on. I have been running it illegally. I started the site with this software because it is the same software that my other site uses and I know it very well. I know all the ins and outs of this software. But I have gone to long without purchasing it. Now I need to purchase it within the next two months. I don’t want to get caught running it illegally. (If anyone form vBulletin is reading this I am going to purchase it within the next two months, so please hold off).

If you really want to do something to help, you can help me raise enough money to purchase the software that this site is being run on. Here are the options for purchasing it.

1. $85 a year (leased). This is paid every year.
2. $160 to own it and a small fee each year for upgrading. The $160 is a one time fee and the annual fee after that is something like $30.

I would like to get option #2 because I think it would be worth it in the long run. But we need to come up with $160.

brdad
04-12-2005, 02:17 AM
I'd think option #2 would make sense, we are planning on being around for at least two more years, aren't we? Maybe something as simple as a collection jar at the next event...

WhereRWe?
04-12-2005, 05:49 AM
Great idea. I'll be happy to donate and wil bring a BIG jar to the event. If anyone wants to donate who can't be at the April 23 event, I'll be happy to be treasurer. PM me if you're interested,

Cache Maine
04-12-2005, 07:41 AM
But we need to come up with $160.
No problem Rick...we'll get this to you in no time. If we can discuss paying oodles for a geocoin, we can take care of things at home too.

I like brdad's idea of a collection jar...it's simple and easy.

In the long run, maybe we could set up a paypal or dropcash donation account? That way the people who don't make it to events can contribute right here on the site. Here's an example (http://www.dropcash.com/campaign/nervousness/nervousness_bill_for_march/) at another website.

Forest_Nymph
04-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Photo of an item up for auction (wall hanging) is available for viewing in the "odds and ends" gallery page. Please contact me if it's worth the time to auction off for web-site funding!!