View Full Version : Celebrate 2008 (in 2009)

Kaching Karen
11-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Okay, you Superbowl people. I've got the date February 1st for the Superbowl event. So, I've got Sunday, January 25th, 2009 as my Celebrate 2008 event.

This should be the Sunday that there's no football. Am I correct?

For you newbies, this is held in Windsor, on a Sunday, from 2:00-5:00. It's a pot-luck, a good place to ask questions about your new geocaching toys you got over the holidays, and a chance to get out and meet people.

robt
11-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Cool I can not wait.... I have a blast every year!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Mainiac1957
11-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Alright Karen..... I will be there of course.:cool:

Sudonim
11-17-2008, 06:43 PM
A non-Air Guard weekend Sunday? I think I can make that one :D

WhereRWe?
11-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Sheesh! Just gotta go to KK's events! :D:D

Medawisla
11-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Yeh! I had a great time last year too! Karen does a great job at the event helping us remember the best moments of the past year in caching! Can't wait! :D

I even put the tentative date in the newsletter for December; I'll keep my eyes open for the posted event page if that comes before the end of November. :)

hollora
11-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Woo, Hoo - I won't be working on Sundays!

vicbiker
11-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Chercacher and I will plan on being there for sure.

dubord207
11-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Di and I will be there for sure.

Opalsns
11-18-2008, 09:59 AM
I here this is one of the best times,
Looking forward to our first KK Event,

Opalsns and BubbaBass

Kaching Karen
11-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Okay, it's official. The event is posted: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5f2f447e-ba36-48dc-9c21-048a0f811b05. If that link doesn't work it's"

GC1J9Q8

I personally think the title this year is kind of funny and a poke at myself.... :rolleyes:

Medawisla
11-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Okay, it's official. The event is posted: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5f2f447e-ba36-48dc-9c21-048a0f811b05. If that link doesn't work it's"

GC1J9Q8

I personally think the title this year is kind of funny and a poke at myself.... :rolleyes:

Lucky I'm working on the newsletter right now...:p:rolleyes: I'll add it :D

FuddsGirls
11-21-2008, 08:51 AM
We love this event and always hope to make it but now I have 2 playing basketball :cool: so looks like the chances are slim:(

Kaching Karen
11-21-2008, 12:58 PM
We love this event and always hope to make it but now I have 2 playing basketball :cool: so looks like the chances are slim:(

When my youngest left home, it took me three days only to get over my "empty nest syndrome." Don't worry Deb, the days of running around with those little creatures does come to an end (well, slows down) and you'll have your own life!

Enjoy them now!

Kacky
11-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Waaahhhhh :( I can't go. My son is doing a panel discussion at a conference in Northport that weekend and I am his aide.

robt
11-21-2008, 02:51 PM
When my youngest left home, it took me three days only to get over my "empty nest syndrome." Don't worry Deb, the days of running around with those little creatures does come to an end (well, slows down) and you'll have your own life!

Enjoy them now!

Empty house syndrome??????? I had a party when mine moved out!!!! :D:D:D Finnally i can be 18 again!!!! Besides, they come back enough and the grandkids are more fun than your kids

hide_from_the_kids
11-21-2008, 02:55 PM

Enjoy them now!

KAREN IF YOU GET THE EMPTY NEST FEELING AGAIN GIVE US A CALL YOU CAN BORROW SOME OF OURS.:)

Haffy
11-21-2008, 05:59 PM

Enjoy them now!

It didn't take my X-wife 3 days. The day after my youngest son graduated from High school I got home from work and there was a "Dear John" letter on the kitchen counter and she told me she was leaving.... Actually I made it easy and I was the one to leave though,seeing it was her folks house we were living in....:eek::D

fins2right
11-21-2008, 06:54 PM
KAREN IF YOU GET THE EMPTY NEST FEELING AGAIN GIVE US A CALL YOU CAN BORROW SOME OF OURS.:)

I call Dibs!! Hyperactive 9 year old on a rainy, cold weekend anyone? :D:D:D I'll throw in the 5 year old younger sister who has already figured out how to push her brothers buttons and get him in trouble. All this and a beta fish for the highest bidder!! :D:D No? Your right, my wife wouldn't agree....after a few hours and a nap.

Mapachi
11-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Kay's event last year was the first geocache event Shotgun and I attended. We will make this one for sure!

ltlindian
11-21-2008, 10:14 PM

No kidding! Have three--willing to share! Especially the 3 year old!

Ekidokai
11-22-2008, 05:33 PM
I hope I can go. Working weekends.

FuddsGirls
11-22-2008, 08:56 PM

Enjoy them now!
I just found out Katie's first game is on the same night as an EMS training that I committed to. Good thing they all know my kids come first.

Kaching Karen
11-23-2008, 06:23 PM

Oh gee.... thanks for the offer. Bring them to the Celebration!

Medawisla
11-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh gee.... thanks for the offer. Bring them to the Celebration!

You already got Ethan, what's another one or two??:eek:;):D:rolleyes:

FuddsGirls
11-23-2008, 10:02 PM
ok, off topic but.... Katie went out to a Pirates game last night with a friend. I didn't hear about the game at all but I did hear that she saw RobT and Tat. Funny what strikes her as important.

robt
11-28-2008, 08:31 PM
LOL, What can I say we are memorable people. :D:D:D

Susie521
01-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi! I'm planning to attend the event. I'm looking forward to it! My oldest daughter gave me a basic GPS for Christmas, and I've got lots of caches on my watch list, but I'd love some advice from all the "seasoned" folks out there! I'm hoping to bring the rest of my family too...my husband and two teenage daughters.

ltlindian
01-07-2009, 12:30 PM
The kids and I are going to try to make it as well. I'm hoping to get some help for my sig item and also to meet everyone.

RKDKBradley4
01-07-2009, 12:52 PM
We are also going to try to make it there. We would love to meet some of you all. Sounds like you have a great time! We are always up for that:)
Off topic, Fudd girls, we found one of your sig tops yesterday at Beatrice Baxter. Very cool Sig!

hollora
01-07-2009, 12:59 PM
All these folks posting here - hope they are also posting here (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5f2f447e-ba36-48dc-9c21-048a0f811b05). I mention it only in the fact, although Karen may check here for her numbers, not everyone who hosts an event does. Being new, folks may not realize they should post on the direct GC posting of the event.

It's also nice if you post your potluck - if you know what you are bringing - helps everyone plan. Looking forward to meeting lots of new folks. Last year - this event brought out a bunch of new folks too. This may be becoming the Annual Welcome to Geocaching Event, too!

fins2right
01-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Great idea's! I should have thought about posting what we were bringing for food initally. That oversight has been corrected. See you there! :)

Kaching Karen
01-07-2009, 08:11 PM
I'll be sending out e-mail reminders on the monday before the event. I'm going to try to edit the event page as people say what they are bringing. I find it's not necessary to stick to what you say you're going to bring. Somehow, we always have a nice mix.

Welcome to all the new people. I'll have some "practice" caches set up around the school and thanks to other cachers, there are some real caches in the Windsor area.

I'm thinking I'm a little crazy to be running two events in a row... and this weekend I'm taking 26 kids skiing! YIKES

RKDKBradley4
01-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Well no one can accuse you of leading a boring life right? Thanks for all your hard work in organizing these Kk.

Kaching Karen
01-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Wow, Sunday is arriving fast! Can't wait to see you all there. I'd like to get a count on kids, if possible.

Also, do you have pictures that you'd like to show off? Send them to me and we'll make a disc. Thanks.

ltlindian
01-20-2009, 01:27 PM
If we make it, I have 3 kids aged 9, 5 and 3. Weather hold out!!

lexmano
01-20-2009, 04:51 PM
We can now be there! :D

fins2right
01-20-2009, 05:51 PM
It looks like we have to be at Sukee by 3:30 to see my niece play pee-wee hockey. We will be there for the first hour (and 10 minutes maybe:D) with 2 little ones, aged 5 and 9.

masterson of the universe
01-20-2009, 07:32 PM
I'll be brining myself, 3 year old son, and father. I guess that would be 3 kids.

balinda
01-22-2009, 11:04 AM
It looks like we will be coming just me and my 8 year old son (fastS)

ltlindian
01-22-2009, 08:55 PM
My husband wants to come too--huh, go figure. So I guess you'll get all of us. Sorry about that. ;) lol

Kaching Karen
01-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Mapachi and the Shuman Road Searchers are busy putting out caches. Is anyone coming to the area to cache in the morning? If so, I finally might pass the 900 mark if I go. I am not good with caching numbers, but THIS TIME I am quite sure I'm close to 900! I'll have to leave early to set up the school.

Also, some of you are talking about bringing your snowshoes. I don't have anything set up during the event time. Anyone thinking of going in the morning? I'm doing my best to get organized today.

By the way one of the new caches is called, "Kaching Karen's Apple." Thanks Mapachi! I feel famous.

Kaching Karen
01-24-2009, 08:28 AM
My little tag thingy below says, "895."

Is anyone bringing something for the kid's cache? I'm setting it up so that the kids bring dots back to the school for their prize. I never know how many to expect. I'm keeping it small this year.

01-24-2009, 08:49 AM
I'd love to get a couple in the area before hand but it'll be hard to do with a 3 year old. I am going to stick to just trying to get 4 either LPC's or GRC's while down there so I can try and hit the 200 mark. We'll see.

robt
01-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Looks like Ethan and I should be able to make it up again this year. As for chaching in the am and possible snowshoeing, I am game but I need to find Ethan some warm clothes or I will have an issue.

Ekidokai
01-24-2009, 01:00 PM
If I get my hybrid working right I might go do a few in the are before hand. I just went out and found out that all the 3500 caches I downloaded didn't get anything except the coordinates. No description, no hints, no sizes, no attributes, nothing. So I'm going to spend some time trying to fix this and do a couple more today.

If I can help with anything down there let me know and I can make myself available.

lexmano
01-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Turkey Buzzard is a 4/4 rated cache off the Bond Brook Road in Augusta.
Mapachi, Dblbogey11, DSKG and us are meeting there about noon to try to find it before the event.

It has poison ivy in summer, so this is the season. Also with the snow, it won't hurt so much if we fall off the cliff!! :D So if interested, come on by about noon.

shuman road searchers
01-24-2009, 06:14 PM
I did this cache back in the fall. There are lots of small to medium rocks and loose logs on the ground so CAUTION will be the word for the day! Good luck because I think the terrain is a 5!!

Haffy
01-24-2009, 07:14 PM
It is really steep so be careful!!!

dubord207
01-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Have life flight stand by at parking area behind Don's Famous Franks! Or better yet, just get 3 dogs, small fries, small choc and skip the Himalayan like cache!:)

Team Richards
01-25-2009, 07:48 AM
Turkey Buzzard is a 4/4 rated cache off the Bond Brook Road in Augusta.
Mapachi, Dblbogey11, DSKG and us are meeting there about noon to try to find it before the event.

It has poison ivy in summer, so this is the season. Also with the snow, it won't hurt so much if we fall off the cliff!! :D So if interested, come on by about noon.

Don't want to derail the topic of the thread but I have to tell you that this is a wicked steep climb. This cache may have changed since I didn't it. If not, It was slippery and a challenge to do in the summer. I just want to make sure you are prepared.

fins2right
01-25-2009, 09:29 PM
I just wanted to be among those to say "Thank you" to Kaching Karen for all of the awesome work she put into today's event. We loved the kids caching and we loved the company. The time, effort and energy that you put in to an event is huge and I know everyone had a great time. I would also like to thank those who put out new caches in advance of the event. My family and I had a great time running around Windsor and it really helped with the geocaching itch. It was great to see the cachers I met at the Eustis event and to put faces to names. I hope to see everyone at the WWWWW event soon. Again, Thanks Karen!

P.S. How did the "turkey buzzard" plummet, er, climb go? Anyone?

hollora
01-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Ah yes, thank you Kaching Karen - a great time!

Mainiac1957
01-26-2009, 07:40 AM
Well Karen despite me not getting to chat with everyone I think your event went perfect. And if it didn't I don't guess anyone noticed. As the norm the food was a big hit again. More food than the group could possibly consume. I regret not getting there early to help this year, but circumstances prevented it. Hope you will continue hosting these as they really break up the winter for all the cachers that don't go out.

Ekidokai
01-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Holy crap!

All the food, all the people, all the fun. I had a great time. Really enjoyed seeing everyone again and meeting some of the legends.

I have finally got the paperless caching for the nuvi running perfectly and I really had fun telling everyone how "easy" it is.

Thank you so much for putting all the work into this event. It was a great time.

Kaching Karen
01-26-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm at work and I owe a lot of THANKS to people. I'll expand on that later.

Haffy, posted on the Celebrate 2009 geocaching page and asked where all the pictures were. I also would love to see some pictures. Could you send some to me? I misplaced my camera yesterday, but found it later when I was cleaning up.

Pictures, please!

hollora
01-26-2009, 01:04 PM
The photos I took were posted on the GC.com web site - just a few. I know Ekidokai was taking photos - also Mapachi. Hopefully they will post theirs too.

Ekidokai
01-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey!

Some of us have other things in or lives.

I know that is next to blasphemy here. Just give me a chance will ya!

lol.

hollora
01-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Hey!

Some of us have other things in or lives.

I know that is next to blasphemy here. Just give me a chance will ya!

lol.

Know you will do it when you can........just don't want ya to forget. LOL:D:):D

Kaching Karen
01-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks, you two!

01-26-2009, 04:39 PM
I have a couple from the cafeteria I can put up but didn't take very many. Most of what I took was of my son playing in the gym and I don't think anyone really interested in that. I'll put up what I have tonight when I get home.

hollora
01-26-2009, 05:14 PM
I have a couple from the cafeteria I can put up but didn't take very many. Most of what I took was of my son playing in the gym and I don't think anyone really interested in that. I'll put up what I have tonight when I get home.

Oh put up the gym photos too ~ if you are comfortable with that. Some of us didn't get in there to see them. The kids are our future......part of this event was about them. Seeing him we would maybe be able to recognize him on the trail. :) Hope you both had a super time!

Mapachi
01-26-2009, 08:43 PM
I took ten or fifteen photos and a small video, but I don't know how to post them here.

Mapachi
01-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Did this work?

Mapachi
01-26-2009, 08:53 PM
And five more!

Mapachi
01-26-2009, 08:56 PM
After these two I'll try to upload the video.

Ekidokai
01-27-2009, 12:58 AM
Now that's cool.

01-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I posted the few that I took of Cooper on GC.com last night. They are a little blurry as I was dodging balls and moving a bit as I was trying to take them.

hollora
01-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Nice - thanks folks.

Kaching Karen
01-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Wow, as far as I can calculate, there were 86 people at this event. I have to apologize for not getting around to see everyone, especially the newbies. Many, many thanks to all that helped.
:)Hollera... always supportive and cool duckies for the kiddos.
:)Shuman Road Searchers, Dubord, and Mapachi... caches all around the Windsor area! That was lacking in the past.
:)Nick~MacCache and gang... staying behind to help clean up
:)tat... Well I don't know where to begin. He was there at 10:00 am setting up and the last one out. We didn't get our morning cache run in, but got to check on one. You're the best, tat.... :D.
Oh gosh, I know I missed lots of people to thank; like the tech whizzes and the food people (thanks to Barry for the soda run), and the supporters, and the minglers.... you name it!

Kaching Karen
01-28-2009, 01:39 PM
I just finished logging in all the travel bugs and coins that were left behind during the event. Could everyone check to see if they took the following home?

:) A Guinness We Will Go
:) NH Moose
:) Rubiks Revenge 3
:) The New England Signature Item Archive
:) Aram's 1st Indepenence Day Geocoin
:) Hollora's Earth Turtle Geocoin
:) US/Canada Caching the NAU Geocoin

This actually isn't too bad.

hollora
01-28-2009, 01:54 PM
I have my Earth Turtle and forgot to log it out....my bad.........all betta! Last I saw of the Archive (this was in a big LocNLoc box) it was sitting on the TB table towards the end of the day as folks were leaving.....and Rubiks Revenge 3 was over by the computers on the Techno table. Hope this helps.

robt
01-28-2009, 02:08 PM
I have rubic's revenge. I will have to log it

tat
01-28-2009, 06:11 PM
I have NH Moose and The New England Signature Item Archive. I'll log them tonight.

hollora
01-28-2009, 09:48 PM
I have NH Moose and The New England Signature Item Archive. I'll log them tonight.

Oh - that SI Archive is a great one - you will enjoy looking it over.