View Full Version : Our 100th Find

Trick or Treat
11-23-2008, 12:29 AM
Trick came home a few months ago and told me about geocaching after a hike with some coworkers from LL Bean. It sounded interesting and I was amazed when I saw how many caches there were so close to our house in Freeport. We decided to give it a try and were instantly hooked!

I've been obsessed with all things geocaching since then. I've listened to the podcasts from all over, read all the forums and feel so lucky to have started caching in Maine. The community here has been wonderful. Many of you have reached out to welcome us and and all have sent thoughtful and patient responses to my emails. People have been friendly and forthcoming in the chat sessions I've joined/taken over and when I put out a request for the back Maine Geocoins on this site, someone sent me one (and would accept no money) to begin my new collection.

Your caches have introduced us to new people, taught us some local history, and brought us to places we never would have seen otherwise. When I've looked for caches near my family's home out of state, I'm reminded how great the caches here are. It is obvious the amount of time and energy that you put into placing quality caches for others to find.

Our first 100 caches have been memorable and what I hope is just the beginning of a long and happy caching career. Thank you one and all!

Kendra and Dawn

fins2right
11-23-2008, 02:28 AM
Congrats! It took me a little longer to find my first 100 (14 months or so) I found the next 100 in a little under a month and a half later. Many of those caches come from around Freeport and that is a wonderfull area to cache in. (it helps that I bought my GPS from DeLorme) Enjoy the addiction!!

Mainiac1957
11-23-2008, 06:28 AM
In the 5 years I have cached I can say I have met so many wonderful people, been places I never would have gone, and done things I never would have done. To some this is a way of life, and to some it's a silly waste of time. Caching is what you make of it. That's what makes it such a great hobby, sport, pastime, etc. Welcome again to Geocaching and GC Maine.:cool:

dubord207
11-23-2008, 07:45 AM
It wasn't that long ago that we found our first 100 and a lot of the fine folks on this site mentioned how addicting the game can be. Well... sounds like all the "warning signs" are in play for you two so welcome to the addiction and now on to 500! :):)

vicbiker
11-23-2008, 07:59 AM
To some this is a way of life, and to some it's a silly waste of time. Caching is what you make of it. Life is a silly waste of time for the majority of us, so spending it geocaching makes perfect sense. :) This sport offers everything to it's players from a simple game of hide-n-seek to full blown involvement in geocaching events, community projects and personal causes. Unlike most games there are no rules, no quota's to meet, a player is left to play the game as he or she choices. Having found your first hundred caches is a important milestone and means you are hopelessly hooked. Congatulations.

Team V3
11-23-2008, 08:38 AM
I would like to say congrats to Kendra and Dawn on reaching their milestone. Hope the next 100 go as well for you! :)

D Bank
11-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Congrats to Trick or Treat on your first 100, hope the next 900 will be as much fun, congrats on your new coins

Opalsns
11-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Woooo Hoooo,
Big Congrats to you on a impresive accomplishment. Welcome to Caching and Caching in Maine. Looking forward to more of your milestones !!!!!

Opalsns and BubbaBass

Gob-ler
11-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Congratulations on find number 100! A great start in a great hobby.

There is a phrase that has been coined that really applies to Geocaching.

It's "not all about the numbers" and that is very true. Make sure you meet the other cachers in the community. Geocachers are some of the finest people you will ever meet.

Cache on!

EMSDanel
11-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Way to go! It's a great feeling, isn't it? There are geocaches everywhere, in all shapes and sizes, and the more you find the more savvy you become at the possible ways to hide them. But there's always that feeling of victory each time you make a find. Annnnnd......when you hide your own first cache that one becomes special as well. See you out on the trail......!

hollora
11-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Congrats on your first 100 - and on to many more. It is the journey - enjoy! Here's to many more as you make memories.

Ekidokai
11-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Wow! Congratulations.

I feel kind of bad, I just checked and I passed 100 a while ago and didn't realize it.

For me it's about the interesting places. And the hunt sometimes.

On the coins, I just purchased the Leatherman coin. It was only $10 with shipping. I was born in Maine, but grew up in Conn. so when I saw that one I wanted it. Working on a coin and pathtags of my own right now.

I don't think of this as a game. More of a sport. And every time I go out it turns out to be an adventure.

Trick came home a few months ago and told me about geocaching after a hike with some coworkers from LL Bean. It sounded interesting and I was amazed when I saw how many caches there were so close to our house in Freeport. We decided to give it a try and were instantly hooked!

I've been obsessed with all things geocaching since then. I've listened to the podcasts from all over, read all the forums and feel so lucky to have started caching in Maine. The community here has been wonderful. Many of you have reached out to welcome us and and all have sent thoughtful and patient responses to my emails. People have been friendly and forthcoming in the chat sessions I've joined/taken over and when I put out a request for the back Maine Geocoins on this site, someone sent me one (and would accept no money) to begin my new collection.

Your caches have introduced us to new people, taught us some local history, and brought us to places we never would have seen otherwise. When I've looked for caches near my family's home out of state, I'm reminded how great the caches here are. It is obvious the amount of time and energy that you put into placing quality caches for others to find.

Our first 100 caches have been memorable and what I hope is just the beginning of a long and happy caching career. Thank you one and all!

Kendra and Dawn

Opalsns
11-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Wow! Congratulations.

I feel kind of bad, I just checked and I passed 100 a while ago and didn't realize it.

For me it's about the interesting places. And the hunt sometimes.

On the coins, I just purchased the Leatherman coin. It was only $10 with shipping. I was born in Maine, but grew up in Conn. so when I saw that one I wanted it. Working on a coin and pathtags of my own right now.

I don't think of this as a game. More of a sport. And every time I go out it turns out to be an adventure.

Congrats E .
It's all uphill from there !!! ;)

Opalsns and BubbaBass

Team Richards
11-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Congratulations

hide_from_the_kids
11-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Congrats To You For You First 100 Enjoy Your Time:)

NativeMainer
11-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Congrats. It took me nearly five years to find my first 100 (took a bit of a break in between, as you can see by my avatar).

pjpreb
11-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Congrats on #100!! Hope you get to enjoy many many more finds :)

Mapachi
11-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Cache Long And Prosper!

Congratulations!

Kaching Karen
11-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Congrats! I made sure I was with my familiy (four generations with me) in Nova Scotia. 100 is a special number.