View Full Version : Who are the Maine approver's

lefty
04-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Who approves caches in Maine?

Mainiac1957
04-11-2005, 07:09 PM
A older guy from Georgia is who all mine go through. He's VERY particular. Fussy is a better word.

Haffy
04-11-2005, 07:09 PM
our approver here in Maine is GPS fun . He is from Georgia

brdad
04-11-2005, 07:11 PM
gpsfun is the volunteer who approves (Or disproves ;) ) most of our caches. He's a member of this site, an hails from Georgia of all places.

Oops, haffy beat me

Haffy
04-11-2005, 07:11 PM
I haven't had any particular problem with getting mine approved at all,in fact most of them (well all 2 of them so far) have been approved within 24 hours, and I must say for a non paying,thankless position he does an excellent job. Oops !!! Brad beat me

WhereRWe?
04-11-2005, 07:32 PM
I haven't had any particular problem with getting mine approved at all,in fact most of them (well all 2 of them so far) have been approved within 24 hours, and I must say for a non paying,thankless position he does an excellent job. Oops !!! Brad beat me

He disapproved my "Arnolds Landing" virtual cache, but was very helpful in explaining why he did, what the requirements wre in establishing virtuals, and explained the fact the gc.com had to get a lot more strict in the last few years as more and more caches are being established.

In the end, he gave me enough help that I decided to establish the cache as a regular, and was QUITE PLEASED to see that even brdad had trouble finding it.

Payback for Old 407? I hadn't planned it that way, and I would have given you hints if you'd asked. LOL

:cool:

tat
04-11-2005, 07:37 PM
Your approver is listed at the bottom of your cache page (when you are logged in, of course) Each cache can be different. In my case, I have at least two different people. One of them is GPSFun.

By the way, they have always be fair and prompt with me.

WhereRWe?
04-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Your approver is listed at the bottom of your cache page (when you are logged in, of course) Each cache can be different. In my case, I have at least two different people. One of them is GPSFun.

Cool! I never noticed that before. :D

lefty
04-12-2005, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

TwoMaineiacs
06-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Reading older posts trying to find out how to report a cache that is in very bad shape. The whole container and all contents need replaceing. The owner hasn't been on this site since August 2004. I did drop him an email about the cache's condition but have not heard back yet. Does gpsfun handle that or how is a ruined cache handled?

TwoMaineiacs / Anne

tat
06-05-2005, 09:10 PM
If you post a note about a particular cache here, some one will not doubt come by and fix it. If it needs to be removed, log your visit and choose "Needs Archived". This will generate a note to whoever is the current appover for any cache, anywhere.

Haffy
06-05-2005, 09:10 PM
I would do just what you have done and emailed the owner. If there is no response in a reasonable amount of time ,then maybe email GPSFUN and explain the situation to him. I think he then will email the owner and ask that they maintain the cache in the proper manner or disable or archive the cache.I think that would be the proper way to go about it,if I am wrong then maybe someone could set me straight on that. What's the cache name and number?

TwoMaineiacs
06-05-2005, 09:19 PM
Fast replies from both of you! Wasn't sure on the procedure for publicly posting a cache that needs attention. It is "Bring Bug Spray" in Edgecomb/ Boothbay GCJFMC. The land is part of the Boothbay Region Land Trust lands and is well worth having a cache in the boundaries. The contents of the cache are rusted, mildewed and just trashed from a winter probably sitting in water. The container top was cracked. Cleaned it as best as we could but it really needs replacing. We'd adopt but just dont' get up that way often enough. Will wait for a reply from the owner and if none, go back and do the archive thing.

Anne

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-06-2005, 07:55 AM
I have had a similiar incident with "Vacation Cache" in Rome, Maine. The Cache was full of water and essentially all contents were ruined and the container cracked. I have emailed the cache owner and have not received a response from that party. What should I do regarding that cache at this point, it has been several weeks. Like Twomaniacs, I tried to clean out the cache as best I could and placed the few remaining cache items in a Ziploc. This cache ultimately needs a new container, new log, new instruction sheet.

WhereRWe?
06-06-2005, 08:17 AM
I have had a similiar incident with "Vacation Cache" in Rome, Maine. The Cache was full of water and essentially all contents were ruined and the container cracked. I have emailed the cache owner and have not received a response from that party. What should I do regarding that cache at this point, it has been several weeks. Like Twomaniacs, I tried to clean out the cache as best I could and placed the few remaining cache items in a Ziploc. This cache ultimately needs a new container, new log, new instruction sheet.

I agree with Haffy, or you could do what I've done on one local cache, go ahead and "unofficially" adopt it.

I've got it on my watch list, and maintain it as if it were my own, although it isn't listed in our name.

:D

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-06-2005, 09:49 AM
I agree with Haffy, or you could do what I've done on one local cache, go ahead and "unofficially" adopt it.

I've got it on my watch list, and maintain it as if it were my own, although it isn't listed in our name.

:D

Rome is a little out-of-the way for me, I don't believe I could give it the time it deserves. Also, I have a strong suspicion that this cache is on private property, most likely the cache owners as they are from Massachusetts.

I would gladly have adopted it if it were more accessable.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think unless someone from the Belgrade, Readfield area could adopt it would not be feasable for me.

WhereRWe?
06-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Rome is a little out-of-the way for me, I don't believe I could give it the time it deserves. Also, I have a strong suspicion that this cache is on private property, most likely the cache owners as they are from Massachusetts.

I would gladly have adopted it if it were more accessable.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think unless someone from the Belgrade, Readfield area could adopt it would not be feasable for me.

Or do as many cachers do... Bring extra log books, pencils, zip-loc bags, etc to help a cache out a cache-in-need. :D

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
06-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Or do as many cachers do... Bring extra log books, pencils, zip-loc bags, etc to help a cache out a cache-in-need. :D
From that cache I learned that. I now have several spiral bound notebooks a babyjar of golf pencils, several quart and gallon size Ziplocs all in my backpack. I find I use more Ziplocs than anything. I also carry 2 Black Sharpies for doodling "GeoCaching.com"

Sorry I wasn't thinking before I went to "clear out the Rome" area caches. I've only been doing this since May 5th of this year.

Steve