View Full Version : 2009 - Hancock County Relay for Life - Cachers Who Care!

hollora
12-18-2008, 07:32 PM
In 2008, a small but hearty group of cachers supported the Hancock County Relay for Life in Ellsworth ME. We raised money and donated it (hey, that's the purpose of replay), we spend nearly 20 hours together, cooked and ate a great breakfast (folks were stopping on the track to smell our food), walked (and Kaching Karen is the best when it comes to the costumes - and yes, please - we NEED more walkers), talked (about how cancer has effected all of us, about geocaching and a ton of other stuff) and all left saying.........let's do this again in 2009! :) So, our team is signed up...on line....and so are two of the team members. We also have a verbal commitment from CacheMaine 1 & 2, vicbiker, chercacher, and Mainiac1957 along with Quilting Mom&Mike are going to try and make it.

The event will be held Friday night, June 12th through Saturday morning this year in Ellsworth. The Team Captain is, none other than, our own EMSDanel. Anyone who is going to participate should post to this thread and also sign up on line at http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?pg=entry&fr_id=16432 It is an easy process and if you need help - contact Dan or me.

Please remember, this is not an "official Geocaching event" because it can not be due to the guidelines. But, it is an event which some of us enjoy participating in and endorse. We would love to have other cachers join us for as long, or as short a time as possible, help us raise money to donate for our team or just support us with our find raising efforts.

I am hopeful, since I am not a new poster and not a spammer that some of our efforts may be posted here for folks to peruse. One reason I am posting this now is so folks can plan. Both for fund raising things as well as timing to participate.

Nothing made me any more upset than missing some nice Christmas Geocoins this year, because my budget was spent and I ddn't know they were coming.....urghhh!:mad: So for the pleasure of those who might like some trinkets for their donation - here is what will be offered - so far.......

Coming sometime in January - if the pathtag Gods bless us - is a specialty pathtag just for this relay. It was designed by one of our "Team" - CacheMaine2 or Tim. The luminary will "glow in the dark". These are available in limited quanities and the minting is only 200. Here is a blueprint of the tag. http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/hollora/blueprint2.jpg No more will be made.

CacheMaine will be selling some on Ebay - Vic & Cheryl have committed to take some, Dan will take some and I will have the rest. Here is how it will work. The minimum donation for one of these pathtags is $5/per tag (remember - this is a fund raiser!) :) You may obtain your tag from any of us. I have already pre-sold 4. So, if you want in one owning one of these special tags - contact one of us and pitch your deal. Once they are gone - they are gone and I think these will be hot....so you may not want to wait. I feel confident these will sell out. Please remember - these are not in hand - delivery will be sometime after January.

Another fun raising effort is a small (2" high and long) Beast Cancer duckie. I have 12 light pink and 12 dark pink ducks available to help us raise funds. Yup, these are tiny duck but I hope mighty ducks to raise some funds for our Relay Team! Go - Cachers Who Care! http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/hollora/133_5509.jpg Again, a fund raiser, so these are going for a donation of $3.00 each. I am the only one with the ducks right now. If you are interested in one, please email me. Wouldn't these make a cute TB or a sweet FTF prize? Lots of other things you might do with them as well.

OK - long post, but, here's the summary - Want to participate with "Cachers Who Care" in a Relay for Life in Ellsworth ME? Post here or contact one of us! Want either of the currently available fund raising items - contact either me, or, with the pathtags one of the cachers who will have them when they arrive. And of course, questions - please ask.

Merry Christmas to one and all!

EMSDanel
12-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Hello everyone...I'm here with an update on Relay For Life of Hancock County. Relay started in Seattle in 1985 and has become the largest non-profit fund raiser in the world. The money raised goes to cancer research and programs for cancer patients. Do you know someone who has had cancer? I'll bet you do. I started a geocaching team last year because I knew, as a group, we don't really have a "cause" ......bikers have Toys for Tots, Shriners have their burn centers, Kiwanis has embraced pediatric trauma, etc. As Hollora mentioned above, a group of geocachers came together as a team, camped out, and walked at this past year's Relay. There were 23 teams that participated in 2008. This coming spring marks the 25th anniversary for Relay For Life and our 10th year in Ellsworth.

We'd love to have many more geocachers join us in June. Joining is very easy to do online and much of the money raised is by having friends and family donate online (secure) under your name as a team member. One idea that I might try is to get people to pledge $1 (or even 50 cents) for every cache I find between now and then. As things came to a close on Saturday morning of this past spring's Relay we were stunned to discover that all the teams combined had raised over $70,000 at our Relay and the final total (money kept trickling in) was over $77,000!! Kaching Karen had made a sign with the Groundspeak logo on it and the team name...which was proudly standing in front of the team's campsite. I appreciated greatly that geocachers had come together to form a team which would help make the world a better place for tomorrow (much like the spirit of CITO). I hope many of you can join us this coming spring!

hollora
12-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Just heard from another cacher who will be joining us and is going to take some pathtags to sell - Team2Hunt! Thank you Gary for joining the team!

Oh - and a reminder too.......if any of you work for an employer who will do matching funds - OMG - that would be great!!!!

hollora
12-18-2008, 09:34 PM
And Cameo is now on the Relay Team page - thank you CacheMaine/Cameo! Remember - everyone is welcome to join us..........and we will keep you posted on what will happen as time moves along.

One thing to do - is fund raise - and if you need hints, tips, clues, ask - any one of use......or check out the web site.

hollora
01-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Well, I hope some of the other Cachers who have signed up to participate in this Relay for Life begin posting here .......;) as, it's not my thread! It's a community thread.

But some news - the Fund Raising pathtags have arrived!!!! :D Here and ready for delivery. I have already mailed 8 to folks outside of our area who "just had to have" one.......or more.

Tags are $5 each which covers the actual cost of the tag plus a minimum donation. I had to promise hubby I would replace the bank account :eek:..... Of course, shipping is extra and folks who have paid with Paypal have added the Paypal fee (Bless them!).

I am not the only one who will have these - and everyone has their own rules/sales guidelines.......but the minimum will be the same - $5/each please and of course, you may always give more. I have already packaged the tags which will go to Team Captain Bahr, Team Member CacheMaine 1 & 2, Team Members vic-biker and chercacher and Team Member Team2Hunt. Am awaiting word from Team Member KachingKaren on how many she wants to take.

Only 200 were made and we will not probably have time for a remint - sooo, if you want one of these http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...blueprint2.jpg please do not wait. Since these are dated - they will be a collectible. The date on the bottom is very small but it is there. I know they are going to go fast once a buzz starts on the Pathtag Forums. They just arrived today - no one has seen them yet but me. They are gorgeous done in black nickel with a Glow-in-the-Dark lumininaria (very, very cool - and glow is not always available!!!!). Email me or talk to anyone of us to reserve your pathtag.:D

Remember - Cachers Who Care are walking this relay and this is one of our fund raising efforts. You are welcome to join us - and no donation will be refused.......no donation is to small. Just contact EMSDanel for details.

Thank you all for looking!

EMSDanel
01-03-2009, 01:00 AM
Hey folks.... I picked up my Relay For Life pathtags from Hollora tonight and they are way cool! The luminaria bags depicted on the pathtags look exactly like real luminaria bags and they glow just like the ones we place out on the track where we walk. I'm going to be carrying some with me at all times and if you see me out on the trail or at a geoevent don't be shy, just ask to buy one. All of the money is going to cancer research and support programs for cancer patients. And these are real pathtags to add to your collection.

hollora
02-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Just an update on the Relay which a few of us are planning on participating in - the date has been changed! "Due to a conflict with the Ellsworth High School Graduation on June 12, 2009, we have decided to move the Relay For Life of Hancock County to June 5 & 6, 2009. The event will still be at the Ellsworth Middle School track, and will start at 4:00 p.m. on Friday and end at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday."

Ekidokai
02-19-2009, 04:11 PM
I think I can make that one.

fins2right
02-19-2009, 10:12 PM
I would love to purchase a pathtag! Are you coming to the WWWWW5?

EMSDanel
02-19-2009, 10:30 PM
To Ekidokai and any other cachers who want to join our geocachers team...it's easy! As Hollora stated in her first entry in this thread, you can go to:

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?pg=entry&fr_id=16432

Just click on "Join" to sign up with our team. The team will be camping out overnight in tents and walking on the track. Remember: this is a fundraiser to help fight cancer. If you have never known anyone who has had cancer then you are extremely fortunate. But I'm willing to bet that that you do know someone who has had cancer. Geocaching is a wonderful sport that gets you outside, getting your exercise, and seeing sights that you never would have seen. I discovered geocaching after having survived throat cancer and my life has been greatly enriched by this sport. I survived due to advanced diagnostics and treatment modalities that were funded, in great part, by money raised at Relays For Life all across the U.S. If you know someone who has had cancer, or if you feel fortunate to be healthy enough to be able to go geocaching then please know that you are invited to join our team. It's the 25th anniversary of the start of Relay and the 10th year of our Relay in Ellsworth. Geocachers that I have met here in Maine are truly quality people. THIS is the year for you to join us and make a difference.

EMSDanel
02-19-2009, 10:33 PM
I would love to purchase a pathtag! Are you coming to the WWWWW5?

I'll be there with the Relay For Life pathtags......just walk right up and tell me you'd like to buy one. 100% of the money goes to Relay For Life.

Ekidokai
02-20-2009, 01:09 AM
That was fantastic Danel,

I have participated in the walk in Vermont in Essex 1997-1998-1999. I walked with the Essex Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary Team. It was held at the fair grounds and was a great experience.

Thanks for reposting the link I will sign up tonight so you wont have to pester me any more. LOL. Its the least I can do after you moved the date just for me. LOL.

Update... I had a little trouble finding the team. The name is Maine Geocachers not Cachers that care as I thought it might be from the post. If I missed the name I'm sorry. I just wanted to drop a note if anyone else had trouble finding it.

Update #2... Fund raising has started. I have sent out mail to many of my contacts asking for help. I am also going to add a link to my websites and I'll start canvasing businesses that I know.

EMSDanel
02-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Right on! That's just how to do it. I met my goal of $250 in just one day last year but sending out an email to my friends and family. They went to the site and donated (secure) online. It was that easy! And it felt good last year being at the event as a geocacher group....big-hearted geocachers doing something nice in the community. And who knows....we may just recruit some new geocachers to join the sport.

hollora
05-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Time for a reminder to folks about this event. More are welcome to join our team - or of course, general donations would be accepted. Click here for the link to our Relay and Team page. (http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY09NE?team_id=361247&pg=team&fr_id=16432)

You may join or make a donation from this link. If you have any questions - the link will let you ping the team members and contact any one of us.

This, of course, is not an "officially sanctioned" Geocaching event or fund raiser but certainly one which is very important to may of us. I have always said, it is not if, or will, cancer will touch your life - it is how or when. From it being personal, with a family member or friend, to it being now or years from now........it will effect your life, sometime, somewhere, somehow."

I stated in nursing school in the late 60s. The definite changes in care, therapies, modalities, quality of life, prognosis and much more have all changed by leaps and bounds. It is my sincere belief a lot of this has taken place because of the efforts of the American Cancer Society and their fund raising efforts such as Relay for Life.

The economy is tough but if we all work together to just give a little - a little will make a lot. If you each have nine friends who will give a dollar with you - that is $10.00........and that means a lot. Please consider coming together with friends to walk - but even if you can't - maybe just consider making a donation to our team, your friends........

Remember - we're all in this life together. We can do stuff alone but it's a lot more fun to have friends beside you and supporting you.

Questions - shoot them to any member of the team or the Capt. EMSDanel. Thanks to everyone for your support - being with us, financial or even if you can't help in any other way than to say - "I wished I could this year - maybe next year."

Other Team Members - your thoughts?!

Mainiac1957
05-13-2009, 05:28 AM
Kathie and I plan to be there again this year. Hoping to stay all night this time. LA, were you planning another after event for the cachers this year? I heard no mention so I figured not.

dubord207
05-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Di and I are coming. Not sure about Nick and Bo. Are dogs okay?

Mainiac1957
05-13-2009, 06:23 AM
I know last year that they were not allowed on the track. I guess this was because of something that had been a problem in previous years. Dan, Lois?? I'm not sure what I will do with my two either Dan.

hollora
05-13-2009, 08:39 AM
Kathie and I plan to be there again this year. Hoping to stay all night this time. LA, were you planning another after event for the cachers this year? I heard no mention so I figured not.

Hey Mainiac1957 - happy to hear you are joining us! No event this year - the area where we had it has been taken over with school construction.

Maybe we could get a group together for a cache run after the closing ceremonies and car pool......any interest?

hollora
05-13-2009, 08:41 AM
I will email Dan and ask to confirm, but I believe, because this is school property and past issues, there was a No Dogs rule (even on leash).

hollora
05-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Dan has replied and this is a National policy......

"The national policy for Relay is "no pets at all". No dogs, ferretts, rabbits, etc."

Trick or Treat
05-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Dan has replied and this is a National policy......

"The national policy for Relay is "no pets at all". No dogs, ferretts, rabbits, etc."

What? No ferretts?!!

I'm hoping to participate. Any one planning on going from Portland-ish area??

Team Richards
05-13-2009, 02:24 PM
What? No ferretts?!!

We'll be there

Team2hunt
05-13-2009, 08:32 PM
What? No ferretts?!!

I'll be heading up Friday morning.

Trick or Treat
05-13-2009, 10:10 PM
We'll be there

Any idea what time you guys are going up? Think I may be going this one alone because of the no dog rule.

Team2hunt
05-14-2009, 06:06 AM
Any idea what time you guys are going up? Think I may be going this one alone because of the no dog rule.

I'm leaving early around 8AM and caching my way to Ellsworth. Hope to be in town around noon.

dubord207
05-14-2009, 06:06 AM
As long as you have a dog-sitter, want to put up a couple of labs? Do you have good insurance? No beer for Nick and no violent tv shows for Bo!:D

firefighterjake
05-14-2009, 07:29 AM
What? No ferretts?!!

Hmmm . . . ferrets . . . very useful for cleaning out the chimney instead of using a chimney brush.

Trick or Treat
05-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Hmmm . . . ferrets . . . very useful for cleaning out the chimney instead of using a chimney brush.

I think the people in the following clip would disagree heartily...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAhYJI9rmXc

I actually saw the whole one hour show on MPBN and could hardly believe my eyes. Good thing cachers and geocoin collectors aren't obsessive...

firefighterjake
05-14-2009, 03:44 PM
I think the people in the following clip would disagree heartily...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAhYJI9rmXc

I actually saw the whole one hour show on MPBN and could hardly believe my eyes. Good thing cachers and geocoin collectors aren't obsessive...

That was great . . . I bust out laughing.

But I would respectfully disagree . . . I mean that hula grass skirt or tasseled hat or even the poufy ballerina skirt would work fantastic for cleaning out the chimney . . . although the ultimate chimney cleaner might be those giant butterfly wings!

On a side note . . . seeing that video made me realize that creating a Facebook page for my cat wasn't such a crazy thing after all . . . I mean I've never attempted to dress up my cat in a costume . . . or risk bleeding to death from the certain mauling I would get from him. :D:D

Trick or Treat
05-14-2009, 03:46 PM
That was great . . . I bust out laughing.

But I would respectfully disagree . . . I mean that hula grass skirt or tasseled hat or even the poufy ballerina skirt would work fantastic for cleaning out the chimney . . . although the ultimate chimney cleaner might be those giant butterfly wings!

On a side note . . . seeing that video made me realize that creating a Facebook page for my cat wasn't such a crazy thing after all . . . I mean I've never attempted to dress up my cat in a costume . . . or risk bleeding to death from the certain mauling I would get from him. :D:D

That's because that particular clip didn't show the interview where they said it all started with a facebook page. Run, Theodore, run!

EMSDanel
05-15-2009, 12:54 AM
I haven't been here for a few days and missed all this about the ferrets. But Jake, using ferrets to clean chimneys...now there's a thought. Ferret on a stick. Sounds like Chineese, doesn't it?

EMSDanel
06-02-2009, 10:51 AM
OK, everyone, we're down to the last few days. The Relay For Life in Ellsworth is this Friday/Saturday, June 5th and 6th. We have a Maine geocachers team walking in the Relay, camping overnight, and raising money for the American Cancer Society. Do you know someone who has been affected by cancer? Of course you do...

You can help our team by going to www.relayforlife.org/hancockme (http://www.relayforlife.org/hancockme) and making a tax deductable donation online (secure) to sponsor any one of our team members. Go to the link above, click on "Donate" and search for our team Maine Geocachers. There you will find the list of who is participating. You can also just donate to the team instead of an individual. The money goes to help fund cancer research and programs that directly help cancer patients...free wigs for chemo patients, free rides to their treatments,etc. We have until Friday....could you help us? Thanks from the team!

Kaching Karen
06-03-2009, 06:24 AM
Are you thinking of joining our team at the Relay for Life in Ellsworth? Here are the theme laps. Come have some fun with us! Note that the team theme is at 7:00. Not sleeping well? Then join us for some after-midnight laps!

4-5pm- Luau/Tropical Theme-
5-6pm- Country Western Theme-
6-7pm- Opening Ceremony/ Survivor and Caregiver Lap.
7-8pm- Team Theme
8-9pm- Fight Back Ceremony followed by Prom Theme
9-10pm- Holding Hands Theme
10pm-12am- LUMINARIA CEREMONY
12-1am- Midnight Madness Theme
1-2am- Creatures of the Night
2-3am- Pajama Theme
3-4am- Inside Out/ Upside Down
4-5am- Crazy Hats
5-6am- Grab Your Mug Theme
6-7am- Red/White/Blue Theme
7-8am- International Theme
8-9am- Phone A Friend
9-10am- Closing Ceremony

Ekidokai
06-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Wow, what a good time I had. Walked some, eat good food, dressed up a little and some great fellowship.

I just wish people would eat more. I brought a whole cooler full of stuff and we hardly touched any of it. Next year I'm going to start cooking stuff right at the beginning and people can take what ever they want as they come and go. Also I'll have to add fruit for those twig eaters out there.

Eclectic Penguin's The Quest To Discover coin was passed to me by "Trick or Treat".

Had a little recovery time and now off to the next adventure.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/ekidokai/MeetinthePenquin.jpg

Ekidokai
06-07-2009, 08:20 AM
I ha a great time at the Relay for life. We had a lot of food and I brough a cooler full that no one hardly touched. Next year I'll start cooking right at the sytart and then people can get what they want as they come and go. I'll even have fruit for those twig eaters.

I also received te Electric Penguin from "Trick or Treat", two lovly ladies. The Penguin likes me.

Now after some recovery time, on to the next adventure.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/ekidokai/MeetinthePenquin.jpg

Ekidokai
06-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Yeah I know. Repeat. I used the back button and didn't see the post had already gone through.

Sue me.

Oh crap! I forgot about the lawyers.

hollora
06-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes, Relay was amazing and Ekidokai's recovery time much shorter than mine. I will post a bit later.

Thank you one and all.

hollora
06-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Relay means different things to different folks. We were each there to raise money for the American Cancer Society, but in addition, I am sure each of us was there for some personal reasons too.

Team members all arrived at different times. The photo linked here was taken just before opening ceremonies and the Survivor walk. Sorry it is the only group shot I have.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/hollora/GEDC0065.jpg

Ekidokai
06-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Very nice!

EMSDanel
06-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Well team.....
All I can say is thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of your efforts to raise dollars for the American Cancer Society through our Relay For Life. You know, there are many great causes out there, all worthy, and all important. But this one....the American Cancer Society...it's because of the dollars raised at Relays around the world that are truly making a difference. The research funded by Relays is why I am alive today and can speak to you. If my cancer was detected 20 years ago, I would not be speaking today and would not be able to swallow food. I can tell you first hand that tasting and swallowing food is such a joy and such an important part of each and every day. Being able to speak, well, perhaps I use that privilege way too much. If my cancer had been detected 30 years ago I would not be alive today. The research funded by Relay has meant new and successful chemo drugs, new radiation technology (like I recieved), and a survival rate that has improved dramatically in recent years.
I'm very proud that geocachers from around the state got together and raised $4,000 for this event. We came, we camped, we shared stories, and we walked around the track...united in the effort. Karen brought some great costumes and Dawn from Trick or Treat won an award for one of the theme laps. Salute!
Thanks, team, you did a wonderful job. I hope to see you all next year!

Kaching Karen
06-07-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm still a walking zombie... and my, it was worth it. Thanks to all for the support and the fun time. I'm very proud of my fellow geocachers. They are a bunch of fun and caring people. Sorry, can't write more... I'm still tired, but it was a wonderful experience.