View Full Version : Nuvi Experiences

Cache Maine
01-03-2009, 08:38 AM
I finally broke down and bought a Nuvi. I have found some pretty cool stuff on the internet about it, but I'm still curious what can be done with these little gems. I picked up the 255W. Also, I found a very helpful page about getting caches loaded on it. Here's the link (http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html).

So tell me, what model do you have and what can your Nuvi do? :)

Mainiac1957
01-03-2009, 09:40 AM
I got a Tomtom XL330. I can load caches in a heartbeat right from a GSAK export. The maps are fantastic, and so far the routing is spot on. I have been caching in Lewiston this morning and it is doing an awesome job of getting me around.

dubord207
01-03-2009, 09:46 AM
I have a 200 series older version. Load POI from the Garmin website then the Nuvi Macro on gsak and you'll get the whole cache page with the exception of maps which you won't need because the Nuvi will take you to the cache. It occassionally will take what I call "dead end shortcuts" but that doesn't happen too often.

Not sure how many caches these things can hold. I have over 10,000 on mine!

This will make you paperless. Enjoy!:)

NativeMainer
01-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Sigh. Another thing for the wish list. :)

Ekidokai
01-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Wow, what a great gadget.

Years ago I had the need for some kind of portable mapping soft wear. Laptps had even been installed in the fire engines. The GPSr soft wear was just not up to the task. But the other things we were using them for worked great.

I even bought software to add to my Palm Pilot. It worked, but was very slow and fussy. It helped somewhat but just did not do the trick. You see, I get lost as soon as I get behind the wheel of any vehicle. I can walk around in the woods all day and come back out within several feet of where I went in, however the roads never seem to cooperate. I can print out maps and directions and even look at things from satellites in space, but I will take the wrong turn almost at every time, for some reason.

Finally a Friend bought me a Nuvi 200 on Black Friday as they were only $100. OMG! OMG! OMG! Where the hell have these things been hiding! I never looked into getting one of these because I had the misconception that there was a monthly fee attached to them. I was wrong and I have been kicking myself in the butt ever since. With the acreage associated with my butt it will take a while to complete the job. Needless to say I love it. I love it!

I love the fact that I don't need to focus on the screen, it tells you where to go and how to get there. In a nice way. However the lady does get a little annoyed when I keep taking the wrong road on purpose, because I don't like taking that particular road, but she recalculates and gets me back on track. Another feature that is great is when I am out on the road and finally get to a destination. All I have to do is put in the next place I want to go from the already entered favorites or just enter the address I have on hand. No need to try and figure out from the maps I have how to navigate from my location and not from my home location. What a frigging pain that was. I also liked the fact that I can put the coordinates in on a cache and it will take me right there. Wow!

Then Lexmano and Hollora informed me I can go paperless with this God send. I have tried it a couple of times, but I have screwed something up and the download fails every time. Stupid me, I never think to research these things online. Thanks for the tip Cache Maine. I love you. As soon as I'm done here I will be using the links.

Now that I have raved about these gems, I'll tell you what they can do. It has cut my travel time in half. I always had to add extra time every time I went to do an investigation, because I would drive around for hours looking for street signs. Now I go right there. When I worked for the State I had about ten pounds of maps that I had to carry with me everywhere I went. I would spend almost as much time figuring out where I was supposed to be going as I would doing the investigation. Now all is well and all the frustration and pressure is off. I am a much happier person now.

Have I said I love this thing? I love it! I love it!

fins2right
01-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Ok, let me tell you my poor beliefs so you can all laugh at me. #1 I thought that my nuvi was only good for turn by turn directions and could not be used for caching. #2 I thought my PN-20 was only good for caching and terrible for turn by turn directions. I read about gsak and garmins before, but I guess that I did not understand the conversations. Now, because I'm not all that smart sometimes I'm going to ask the following (yes I read the link posted above). I own a 200 series. What is the reality of downloading geodata to it? Is this a project that requires time, beer and patience? Because i'm missing two of those right now. Can I put the whole cache page on, or just the coords. Can anyone explain this in terms that a 16 year old can understand. (I work in a high school and defer all tech questions to kids. They have a better handle on it than I do) Did I mention that I'm really excited about this. I really like the thought of loading 100 caches or so onto my nuvi just to have when I'm driving around.

Ekidokai
01-03-2009, 01:00 PM
I still haven't tried it yet and made it work, but I have the 200.The lowest on the scale.

Lexmano also has one and he showed me that he had about 10,000 caches on it. All of the data for each cache also. All the hints, all the logs everything about the cache and it's location just like the cache page. It was great.

Now if anybody wants to give turn by turn directions, that would be great for us two want to be geeks.

Gob-ler
01-03-2009, 05:21 PM
The Nuvi or for that fact most of these types of mobile GPS units are quite easy to incorporate into Geocaching.

There is an excellent step by step tutorial by Pilotsnipes. Here is the link:

http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

It basically tells you everything you have to know to get caches onto the portable device.

There is another more complex one that does several things differently, but the one above is the best place to start.

hollora
01-03-2009, 06:51 PM
The Nuvi or for that fact most of these types of mobile GPS units are quite easy to incorporate into Geocaching.

There is an excellent step by step tutorial by Pilotsnipes. Here is the link:

http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

It basically tells you everything you have to know to get caches onto the portable device.

There is another more complex one that does several things differently, but the one above is the best place to start.

This is the tutoriual I used to learn to load mine and had no trouble. My son will tell you :eek: ~ if I had no trouble, the directions are easy!;)

hide_from_the_kids
01-03-2009, 07:57 PM
I own a 200 series. What is the reality of downloading geodata to it? Is this a project that requires time, beer and patience? Because i'm missing two of those right now. Can I put the whole cache page on, or just the coords. Can anyone explain this in terms that a 16 year old can understand. (I work in a high school and defer all tech questions to kids. They have a better handle on it than I do)

I too was low on patience and wanted immediate gratification when I opened ours up about a week ago. If it weren't for everything going haywire the second I started the process, I feel the tutorial that gobbler mentioned really would have only taken 20 minutes and was fairly easy to follow (as it was, I had three kiddos and a neighbor who all wanted something and couldn't wait while I was working with the gps and it still only took me about an hour and that includes finding the nuvi and sorting through all the accessories to find the cord).

The tutorial is very well done.

pm28570
01-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Cache Maine, that's a great link.
How I use mine fits well into my caching style. I use it, essentially, for driving directions to get near to the cache, having entered the cords. I then prefer to use the hand-held to pinpoint. Going paperless is not a concern for me, as I do not rely on the hints or description so I never felt the need to print out the caches. If I need to re-visit the cache posting, I use my Blackberry to access it on geocaching.com. But, I have to admit, after the 4th or 5th visit to a cache that I haven't been able to locate, I am ready for any kind of assistance. Enjoy your new NUVI!

ltlindian
01-03-2009, 10:45 PM
wow--do I feel like a dummy! I, too, have had a Nuvi for some time now but have never used it for geocaching. For some reason, I thought I could only use the hand-held version. Duh. I have just purchased a Colorado so I should never, ever log a DNF again. Right?? lol I will have to read that link and start using the Nuvi right away.

hollora
01-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Cache Maine, that's a great link.
How I use mine fits well into my caching style. I use it, essentially, for driving directions to get near to the cache, having entered the cords. I then prefer to use the hand-held to pinpoint. Going paperless is not a concern for me, as I do not rely on the hints or description so I never felt the need to print out the caches. If I need to re-visit the cache posting, I use my Blackberry to access it on geocaching.com. But, I have to admit, after the 4th or 5th visit to a cache that I haven't been able to locate, I am ready for any kind of assistance. Enjoy your new NUVI!

And wait until you are caching in an area of Maine where cell phone service = a BIG 0! Cache Maine and I have been there = done that doing the DeLorme Challenge. Paperless via whatever method is important until Maine cell service comes into the century.........after we have probably passed into the next.

Cache On - Cache Happy - go paperless with some device other than a phone if you are going to cache in Maine and especially upwards and eastwards of Bangor.

WhereRWe?
01-04-2009, 01:05 PM
And wait until you are caching in an area of Maine where cell phone service = a BIG 0! Cache Maine and I have been there = done that doing the DeLorme Challenge. Paperless via whatever method is important until Maine cell service comes into the century.........after we have probably passed into the next.

Sheesh! At least with my Garmin 60csx, I NEVER lose a signal unless I'm in a tunnel somewhere. With my Sirius satellite radio, I lose signal parked under a gas station awning! LOL!

We don't get a good cell phone signal at all at my house, but 1/4 mile away on the other side of the hill,we get max signal! Go figure...

Ripton
01-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Bought one for my wife this Christmas. Finally got to play with it myself. Preloading caches is great and then while on the road it will list the closest cache in it's data bank, but you must enter command manually. Switching modes from auto to pedestrian is a must. EPE was still about 40 feet off... This is great for those unknown areas when I don't know which street to go in order to get the closest to the cache. Problem is if a wrong turn is taken, it could take you 5 miles around when all that is needed is a quick uturn...

brdad
01-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Problem is if a wrong turn is taken, it could take you 5 miles around when all that is needed is a quick uturn...

We just bought a 255W for ourselves as well. Only used it one day playing around and thought the ability to re-calculate a route was great, but I make U-turns as often as possible, so it can be an issue.

On my unit, if I click on tools - settings - navigation - avoidances, U-turns is an option there which is checked by default. Just uncheck that and you'll be doing more u-turns than you want to! Hopefully yours has that option as well.

The other option is just to take the u-turn anyway.

Waterski
01-07-2009, 11:02 AM
So do most of you prefer to use the Nuvi to get to the cache, or just use it to get the the vicinity and then go to the old hand held? I was just reading the tutuorial last night online after reading how many of you got a Nuvi for xmas! That made me think it surely had to do more than I thought. My husband has a birthday in two weeks..ha

hollora
01-07-2009, 11:08 AM
I personally like using the handheld for cache finding (well, that is if it isn't a GRC). Have tried the Nuvi on the trail and don't really like it - I guess with some practice it would work.

Ripton
01-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Nuvi for downloading a route and roads, Lowrance for caches... but maybe I'm so much more comfortable with my Lowrance.

Mapachi
01-07-2009, 01:04 PM
This is why meet and greets are so good. I was at one when I saw LEXMANO with his NUVI loaded up with caches. He told me how, sent me a link that night and I was in business, the next day. Everything they have said is true. I too love this! It saves soooo much time. I got my daughter PARKLARGEESE all set up with her NUVI by telling her to go to GSAK and look up "available macros" and download the macro for GARMIN NUVIs. She did and had no problems. They have macros for MAGELLINS as well. My other daughter BOBBIE THE BOLD loads her MAGELLIN using a macro.

hollora
01-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Folks are using TomToms too!

hide_from_the_kids
01-10-2009, 08:25 PM
:di Think Ffj Has A Hiram Hiram....................not All That Reliable Though:d

robt
01-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Folks are using TomToms too!

Unfortunately while the Tom Tom will get you there eventually sometimes the routes can be a bit round a bout with his "short Cuts" :D:D:D:D

firefighterjake
01-12-2009, 09:38 AM
:di Think Ffj Has A Hiram Hiram....................not All That Reliable Though:d

Actually my Hiram Hiram is pretty reliable . . . but it costs me a fortune to run it since it runs on beer and beef jerky. ;):D

dubord207
01-12-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm guessing I've used my Nuvi to get me "in the neighborhood" of over 1000 caches. Most of the time Di and I wonder how we ever got by without it, but....it occassionally has numb spells.

We were headed to a cache in Portland, Lowe Down and Out, GC1J76T. The closest road to this cache as the crow flies is the Maine Turnpike. When we went by Verillo's Conference center adjacent to the old Exit 8, the nuvi decided it was time for an "adventure." (Remember, Di and I both know where Loew's is but we try to "trust" our navigational aides."

The Nuvi made us take a bypass and then get on the Turnpike headed North!. Then off at an Exit and then back South on the Turnpike. When we got opposite the cache, the nuvi said turn right! Right? There's a Guardrail here and no exit!

So we get off and it starts "re-caclculating" gets us back to where this side trip started and wants us to go around one more time, after all, the price of fuel is "cheap" now.

So we shut Hal the Nuvi off, went to Loew's and quickly found the cache.

And if you don't think there's a "bridge to nowhere" in Maine, eventually your Nuvi will take you down a camp road to a lake and you'll find the cache is straight across the lake on a different shore! Been there, done that too!

Gotta love all this technology!:):)

Ekidokai
01-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Haven't seen that yet.

pjpreb
01-12-2009, 07:27 PM
...So we shut Hal the Nuvi off, went to Loew's and quickly found the cache.

I got a kick outta this - our Nuvi is named "Bea" (we'll leave to your imagination why she got that name...):D:p:eek:

Does anyone else have a "name" for their car navigational aide?

shuman road searchers
01-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I have named my Nuvi Julie. Like Dubord mine likes to "recalculate" on occasion. It was on such an occasion that I was not paying any attention to speed and there he was blue lights and everything! I pulled over and he asked my hurry and I explained I was listening to Julie recalculate and paying no attention to my speed,he chuckled and gave me a warning and told me to listen to my Julie!!

Haffy
01-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah I call mine Bi__ch!!!! LOL

pjpreb
01-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Yeah I call mine Bi__ch!!!! LOL

"Bea" for short - You're on to me! :D

pjpreb
01-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I have named my Nuvi Julie. Like Dubord mine likes to "recalculate" on occasion. It was on such an occasion that I was not paying any attention to speed and there he was blue lights and everything! I pulled over and he asked my hurry and I explained I was listening to Julie recalculate and paying no attention to my speed,he chuckled and gave me a warning and told me to listen to my Julie!!

CUTE!!! :p:)

hollora
01-12-2009, 09:17 PM
My Nuvi has had a couple of names......and they change as I change the voice. I often name inanimate things - my dishwasher for years was Agnes, until I realized that was the name of Ralph's wife who passed away......:eek:...so now, I am a bit careful.

Now, as for the Nuvi and bad navigational information - if you want a laugh to read.....;)...go to GCK56W, Nash's Lake Dam Cache by Aefuss and read my note of 10/18/08. :) I am surprised after all that that Cache Maine even bought one.....:rolleyes:....but we did have the whole cache page to read LOL!

My daughter will tell you the story of trying to find Shaws next to Bay Side Expo in Boston using the Nuvi - :confused: - she was ready to throw it into the bay! LOL

It's just another tool! And I really do love it - despite all.

pm28570
01-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Vickie.....short for Victoria's Secret, because it's a secret why it sends me down a dead end street or the long way around. That said, I like it and use it a fair amount of time, especially traveling out of state.

I bought a NUVI 205 as a gift for someone and noticed that it not only displays your current speed, it displays the posted speed limit where you are at the moment. When I saw this my next thought was making sure to keep the mapping software up-to-date.

dubord207
01-13-2009, 12:54 PM
The Nuvi also has a page that shows your average speed AND highest speed. I finally figured out how to delete the highest speed, thankfully. Di told me not to worry, just to tell any police officer that got a hold of Hal that I took it flying one day.:D

I bought a NUVI 205 as a gift for someone and noticed that it not only displays your current speed, it displays the posted speed limit where you are at the moment. When I saw this my next thought was making sure to keep the mapping software up-to-date.[/quote]

Mapachi
01-13-2009, 02:17 PM
The Nuvi also has a page that shows your average speed AND highest speed. I finally figured out how to delete the highest speed, thankfully. Di told me not to worry, just to tell any police officer that got a hold of Hal that I took it flying one day.:D

I bought a NUVI 205 as a gift for someone and noticed that it not only displays your current speed, it displays the posted speed limit where you are at the moment. When I saw this my next thought was making sure to keep the mapping software up-to-date.[/quote]
Since when did dubord207 care what the posted speed limit was? He eventually finds out if any of his vehicles have governors on them! (And some of his appliances as well.)

brdad
01-13-2009, 04:57 PM
In our vast 4 or 5 hours of experience, we found the speed limit postings were not that accurate. I'm not sure where the data comes from, it could be just the generic state residential/urban/highway speeds. I don't think they have people waypointing the location of the speed limit signs and reporting to Garmin. Sometimes it seemed it hit a sign right on, but then it passed other speed zones completely. So while it may be good for a reference, it may very well not be the posted speed.

We haven't named ours yet, though at one point while the GPS was suggesting one route and Lee was suggesting another, I broke out with the song "Trying to love two women". A suggestion: When in doubt, agree with the woman who is cooking your dinner!

brdad
01-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Vickie.....short for Victoria's Secret, because it's a secret why it sends me down a dead end street or the long way around. That said, I like it and use it a fair amount of time, especially traveling out of state.

It sounds like you have it set up for pedestrian use. It should not send you down a one way street if it is set to automotive.

Also, my unit by default was set up to find the quickest route, which can take you a longer distance but should be a shorter time if it calculates correctly.

pm28570
01-13-2009, 06:31 PM
[quote=brdad;49619]In our vast 4 or 5 hours of experience, we found the speed limit postings were not that accurate. I'm not sure where the data comes from, it could be just the generic state residential/urban/highway speeds. I don't think they have people waypointing the location of the speed limit signs and reporting to Garmin. Sometimes it seemed it hit a sign right on, but then it passed other speed zones completely. So while it may be good for a reference, it may very well not be the posted speed.

Didn't use it too much, other than to notice that feature. It seemed ok along I-95 and larger streets around Bangor. Don't know how or from who the mapping source would receive the zone information but you're right, I would agree nobody is waypointing them.

pm28570
01-13-2009, 06:38 PM
It sounds like you have it set up for pedestrian use. It should not send you down a one way street if it is set to automotive.

Also, my unit by default was set up to find the quickest route, which can take you a longer distance but should be a shorter time if it calculates correctly.

You know, that's a good point. I had set it up originally to for the shortest route, automotive, but there may very well be variables. It's happened rarely to dead-end....I tend to think that updating the mapping software is appropriate, seeing that it is 2007. Either way, I like the unit and use frequently for getting in the neighborhood of a cache or specific directions.

We haven't named ours yet, though at one point while the GPS was suggesting one route and Lee was suggesting another, I broke out with the song "Trying to love two women". A suggestion: When in doubt, agree with the woman who is cooking your dinner!

And how long did it take you to learn this? :D

brdad
01-13-2009, 09:45 PM
And how long did it take you to learn this? :D

Some guys do well with sports analogies, some with automotive. I'm a fast learner when it comes to missed meals.

Ekidokai
01-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Something to add.

I have been trying to upload the Maine caches into my Nuvi 200 for a while. I didn't know that only the 50 closest caches were displayed. I kept trying different ways to upload the files and could only see 50 of them. Today I tried spelling a cache out that I wanted to go to and that's when I discovered that I had them all 3500 in there.

I have tried the pedestrian feature and it seems to work well. I will probably still use the Magellan to pin point the cache as the Nuvi gets me there.

88seriesiii
02-06-2009, 10:50 PM
One additional thing I like about my Nuvi 200 (late 2008 model) is the "tour guide" mode. As you drive around it will chime as near a custom POI, i.e. caches you loaded from GSAK. Also go to the garmin website and download the extra holiday voices and car icons there.. Fun for the kids for sure..

dubord207
02-07-2009, 05:55 PM
I recently downloaded the newest version of GSAK and now my Nuvi macro barely works. Anybody else having this issue?:(

Ekidokai
02-07-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm real new at this and just downloaded al the programs a week ago and everything seems to be working fine.

Gob-ler
02-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Make sure you have the latest version of POI Loader. You should also be checking on the macros you are running to make sure you have the latest updates there as well.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

http://gsak.net/board//MacroIndex.php

Haffy
02-08-2009, 11:10 AM
I recently downloaded the newest version of GSAK and now my Nuvi macro barely works. Anybody else having this issue?:(

I haven't been able to get it to work at all. It says I have downloaded the over 3000 caches from GSAK into the poiloader and then when I go to see how many that were loaded into my NUVI it says only 8. And those were just ones that I have created in my favorites folder anyway. I have installed and uninstalled everything numerous times to no avail. Anyone with any insight as to what I might be doing wrong?

Ekidokai
02-08-2009, 01:00 PM
I haven't been able to get it to work at all. It says I have downloaded the over 3000 caches from GSAK into the poiloader and then when I go to see how many that were loaded into my NUVI it says only 8. And those were just ones that I have created in my favorites folder anyway. I have installed and uninstalled everything numerous times to no avail. Anyone with any insight as to what I might be doing wrong?

When I first started I had a similar problem. I could only see fifty caches, then I tried to spell one out and I found I had all of them. Something odd about the Nuvi it only shows so many that are close by.

racatv
02-08-2009, 04:10 PM
how do you get it to do pedestrian and not a car? I don't see that feature on mine.

brdad
02-08-2009, 05:24 PM
When I first started I had a similar problem. I could only see fifty caches, then I tried to spell one out and I found I had all of them. Something odd about the Nuvi it only shows so many that are close by.

As I stated in the Unfound Caches PQ discussion, (which I still need to update :rolleyes:), this is not odd behavior. At first it seems to be, but all the GPSrs I am aware of - when you search for nearest, it only displays a limited number of caches. As soon as you list by name, they all show up. I believe my 'Ol Yeller only displays the nearest 9 caches. And it kind of makes sense, since it would be a few hours scrolling if you were looking for the nearest 2000th cache. Not much need for it in the field either - But if you wanted to know the 2000th nearest cache, use GSAK. For me, that'd be Fletchers Ravine (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f566c9be-6773-400f-858b-3f83354df8a3) (GC12Q0M) by The Fletchers and the Blazing Trolls (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=127759) (2/3) :p

how do you get it to do pedestrian and not a car? I don't see that feature on mine.

On the 255W, it's tools - settings - system. Then click on Usage Mode to select Automobile, Bicycle or Pedestrian. Your mileage may vary. Batteries Not included. Vehicle shown with all available options. :D

racatv
02-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks Got It!!:):)

WhereRWe?
02-09-2009, 11:49 AM
But if you wanted to know the 2000th nearest cache, use GSAK. For me, that'd be Fletchers Ravine (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f566c9be-6773-400f-858b-3f83354df8a3) (GC12Q0M) by The Fletchers and the Blazing Trolls (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=127759) (2/3) :p

Sheesh! Why am I not surprised that you know this! LOL! :p:p

brdad
02-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Sheesh! Why am I not surprised that you know this! LOL! :p:p

It's not that hard. The easiest non-macro way to do this is just scroll down, right click a cache and select "Show current row number". It'll be some trial and error to get to exactly 2000, but it can be done this way.

WhereRWe?
02-09-2009, 04:24 PM
It's not that hard. The easiest non-macro way to do this is just scroll down, right click a cache and select "Show current row number". It'll be some trial and error to get to exactly 2000, but it can be done this way.

True, but I try to keep less than 1000 caches in GSAK so I can load the whole file in the GPSr. :o:o

Sometimes it's really hard to filter out just the caches you want. ;);)

Ekidokai
02-09-2009, 08:58 PM

Have you got it working yet?

brdad
02-09-2009, 10:21 PM
True, but I try to keep less than 1000 caches in GSAK so I can load the whole file in the GPSr. :o:o

Sometimes it's really hard to filter out just the caches you want. ;);)

You do know when you export, you can specify the maximum number of caches, don't you?

I sort my list, then export all the unfound in the PDA, and then export to the GPS to a max of 950 or so to give some room for new waypoints.

I have to have 8 PQs for the stats anyway, so this makes it much easier for me.

Mapachi
02-10-2009, 10:25 PM
I had this problem too. If you erase the prior POIs first then redownload, it works fine!

WhereRWe?
02-11-2009, 11:33 AM
You do know when you export, you can specify the maximum number of caches, don't you?

Yup.

I sort my list, then export all the unfound in the PDA, and then export to the GPS to a max of 950 or so to give some room for new waypoints.

I have to have 8 PQs for the stats anyway, so this makes it much easier for me.

But we often take caching trips, and aren't comfortable enough yet with "caches along a route" to make good use of it. We wind up having to stop, dump the caches from the GPSr, and reloading it with a new state. LOL!

brdad
02-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Yup.

But we often take caching trips, and aren't comfortable enough yet with "caches along a route" to make good use of it. We wind up having to stop, dump the caches from the GPSr, and reloading it with a new state. LOL!

Caches along a route is not bad when you make your own route. I used it when we went to AZ and am playing with it now for our trip next month - 846 caches along a 2000 mile loop. Still have not decided if that's a bit over-ambitions or not! But if we have the laptop with us, I can download new PQs if our plans change.

Sudonim
02-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Caches along a route is not bad when you make your own route. I used it when we went to AZ and am playing with it now for our trip next month - 846 caches along a 2000 mile loop. Still have not decided if that's a bit over-ambitions or not! But if we have the laptop with us, I can download new PQs if our plans change.

You going to Geowoodstock? Looks like the loop I'm planning:p

brdad
02-11-2009, 03:27 PM
You going to Geowoodstock? Looks like the loop I'm planning:p

No Geowoodstock for us, we are going in March. But this is our currently proposed loop:

http://bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/GAloop.jpg

Haffy
02-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Sure you don't want to check out Charlotte? I'll meet you there and we can spend a couple of hours reminiscing or something? Let me know ok? I'm not too familiar with the area but would more than welcome some of my old friends for a visit.

brdad
02-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Sure you don't want to check out Charlotte? I'll meet you there and we can spend a couple of hours reminiscing or something? Let me know ok? I'm not too familiar with the area but would more than welcome some of my old friends for a visit.

Charlotte is 140 miles round trip or so out of that loop but we were thinking of you. If you want to PM or email your phone number we will get hold of you by email or phone if we have time. It's a pretty ambitious trip so it depends on what our timing is.

WhereRWe?
02-11-2009, 06:37 PM
No Geowoodstock for us, we are going in March. But this is our currently proposed loop:

RULOST2? is going to visit her family in Mississippi for a week in May - good time for this old timer to do some "catting around" (I mean - "CACHING around".)

(Sheesh! :o:o)

(I'd go visit Haffy, but he'd probably only drink one beer and want to take a nap...) :p:p

Sudonim
02-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Funny how many states you seem to "just dip into" quickly ;)
Almost like you planned it that way...

brdad
02-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Funny how many states you seem to "just dip into" quickly ;)
Almost like you planned it that way...

That's just coincidence. I didn't have any say in how the roads go. ;)

WhereRWe?
02-12-2009, 11:25 AM
That's just coincidence. I didn't have any say in how the roads go. ;)

But it's a typical geocacher's route: just hit the edge of as many states as you can! LOL! :p:p

LaughingTerry
02-28-2009, 10:21 PM
I got the NUVI 270. I have all the caches and descriptions in Maine that I haven't found in it. I have snowmobile trail maps loaded in it. I have a silver car icon, snowmobile icon for when I am sledding, and motorcycle icon for this summer. It chimes when I am within 2500 feet of a cache. I simply hate trying to get the last 30 or 40 feet to the cache with it though.