View Full Version : The first cache

tat
01-11-2009, 11:09 AM
The first cache. (http://www.youtube.com/v/LMHZcgM11GU&hl=en&fs=1) Note to newbies: Never bury a cache, never put food in a cache.

hollora
01-11-2009, 11:28 AM
TAT - thanks for posting. Always nice to go back to one's roots.

Waterski
01-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Tat,I came across an interesting blog from a geocacher in another part of the country who is an electrical inspector. He was warning, and showing pictures of terrible electrical burns, and was stressing of the dangers of placing light pole caches, electrical box, and even fake electrical box caches, etc., due to the bad signal it sends to young children to be poking around these objects. Evidently light poles can use you to ground & if you touch the bolts you can really cause serious burn damage. He urges cache placers over and over in his blog to not use these objects for cache placement. Something for us to think about.

Mainiac1957
01-11-2009, 07:46 PM
If someone is receiving a shock from the bolts on a light pole they would have already been shocked by contacting the pole itself. Only an improperly grounded fixture could cause this situation. Generally this would not happen. Yes there are exceptions to the rule, but they are that, rare exceptions. This being said, I too do not feel that the LPC is the best cache hiding spot there is, but it sure is popular especially down in North Carolina as well as other high cache density areas.

brdad
01-11-2009, 08:31 PM
But, if you are touching the pole and reach under the skirt and there is a bare wire there, that is not such a great thing. But hey, I've been shocked plenty of times and look how normal I am!

hollora
01-11-2009, 09:32 PM
What we are use to up hera' in Maine isn't what folks are used to down thera' in other parts of the country. And with that being said.........

Guess the old adage for other sports - Know Before You Go - still applies. When in doubt - rule them out.

fins2right
01-11-2009, 10:03 PM
As a person who dislikes poisonous animial, I would imagine that LPC's are safer than some wooded areas. Or, maybe it's just a matter of being used to snakes. :eek:

tat
01-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Everything we do, Geocaching, hiking, backpacking, driving, even watching TV involves risks to both persons and sometimes property.

My advice is to be prepared for your journey:

Always exercise common sense and caution.
You assume all risks arising in connection with seeking a cache or any other related activity.
Don't ever attempt to find a cache you are not comfortable with.
By the way, did anyone notice the video link?

Gob-ler
01-12-2009, 02:53 AM
Brdad was shocked once or twice????

That certainly explains some things!

WhereRWe?
01-12-2009, 10:47 AM
But hey, I've been shocked plenty of times and look how normal I am!

As Mr. Peavey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Gildersleeve) would say, "Well, now, I wouldn't say that..."

pjpreb
01-12-2009, 07:29 PM
If someone is receiving a shock from the bolts on a light pole they would have already been shocked by contacting the pole itself. Only an improperly grounded fixture could cause this situation. Generally this would not happen. Yes there are exceptions to the rule, but they are that, rare exceptions. This being said, I too do not feel that the LPC is the best cache hiding spot there is, but it sure is popular especially down in North Carolina as well as other high cache density areas.

Glad I know people that know stuff! :D:p

masterson of the universe
01-26-2009, 09:49 AM
In regards to the history of caches and trackables in general, is there a way to search for the cache with the most finds? Or how about the trackable with the most miles logged?

pjpreb
01-26-2009, 06:38 PM
In regards to the history of caches and trackables in general, is there a way to search for the cache with the most finds? Or how about the trackable with the most miles logged?

*THIS* Looks like a job for (drum roll here) BRDAD!!! :D

brdad
01-26-2009, 07:44 PM

*THIS* Looks like a job for (drum roll here) BRDAD!!! :D

For just the Maine caches this would actually be an easy task with GSAK, but unfortunately to do so would require gathering every log from all caches placed in the state. Getting those logs is actually quite easy (but time consuming), but would most likely be considered data mining resulting in the termination of my accounts. While doing the stats requires me use this process to download some logs from some caches (most notably the reviewer and owner logs) it is kept to a minimum.

So, unfortunately there is no way to determine these numbers at this time. :(

However, I am guessing this cache has the most finds of any in Maine with a total of 3851 find logs at the time of this post. Feel free to prove me wrong. :D
What in the World Cache? (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=788865f5-5d08-465d-8b62-4eca70ad99ec) (GC6D43) by Ghosthunter (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=6459) (2/1)