View Full Version : Winter Cache Ideas

EMSDanel
01-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Hi everyone... I have a new cache location all scoped out and it's in the hollow of a tree. However, I've discovered some of my other caches are frozen in right now and I've been thinking of ways to prevent that. When I hunt for caches in the winter I try to bring something to chisel with to free up frozen caches and do the best I can. But I've been thinking of ways to make it easier for everyone who finds my caches in the winter. To try to prevent the freeze-up of a cache, I now do several things. First, if it's on the ground I'm trying to leave a small ditch for water run off. Second, and I always think of this when I place caches during winter months, I try to find locations off the ground. I recently found two of Laughing Terry's caches along snowmobile trails and I was appreciative of those above-the-ground caches. And finally, today (for the new cache in the hollow of a tree) I bought a cheap (59 cents) star-shaped cookie cutter which I will place under the new cache container to keep it elevated off the floor of the hollow in the tree, hoping this will help prevent it getting frozen in place.

So - do any of you have any ideas to help prevent caches from getting frozen in place?

hide_from_the_kids
01-18-2009, 07:23 PM
sometimes with a hollow tree i have seen people place the cache up in the hollow rather then down in the hollow. it makes it less likely to freeze in and possible to make it a harder find.:)

Haffy
01-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Yeah I've got a great idea....Move down here? ;)..... Just kidding, I really miss caching in the snow but not the cold though I must admit. :D

Medawisla
01-18-2009, 08:26 PM
And finally, today (for the new cache in the hollow of a tree) I bought a cheap (59 cents) star-shaped cookie cutter which I will place under the new cache container to keep it elevated off the floor of the hollow in the tree, hoping this will help prevent it getting frozen in place.

So - do any of you have any ideas to help prevent caches from getting frozen in place?

The cookie cutter is a great idea; I bet it'll work. My after thought, though, was what if a cacher thinks it's swag and puts it into the container? So, just a suggestion, but put what it's use is in the cache description page, and hopefully that won't happen.

I imagine the best way to prevent frozen caches is to do extra maintenance in the winter, checking them out and re-positioning them if necessary. I would think using materials under and around the cache container could help, like the cookie cutter, using bark or pine needles; obviously these materials would need to be checked too, because over time even they will freeze in place.

Wonderful topic. Happy caching, cache year-round!:D

Gob-ler
01-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Humm, interesting swag for sure, now what do I have to trade for a cookie cutter?

hollora
01-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Humm, interesting swag for sure, now what do I have to trade for a cookie cutter?

Depends on the season Gob-ler and what shape cookies you were making! LOL ;) All kidding aside - the size of the container might dictate whether someone would feel this was swag. It also could be put in the description - that the support/cutter is part of the container set up - do not take it.

If folks have a lot of caches out, I can understand them not running around to do frequent maintenance all winter. JMHO And as we all know - once frozen in - it may take spring to release them.

I have also used tools in the winter.....and fondly remember my weed tool doing a number on a LocNloc - cause it just cracked it to pieces last winter.......and humbly attending a memorial service with a broken cache container and a replacement cache in hand. Some folks who loose caches broken in the winter are not as lucky.

It's a hazard of caching in Maine during the winter - both finding and placing (that they can be broken, frozen in, etc.). I think EMSDanel's attempt is unique and I look forward to following how this works out.

My son has one of those in a tree hides (he adopted it) which he and I retrieved during a winter. It was a camo tape covered glass jar........and it was frozen in - came out in pieces with the tape holding it together.

Winter caching at its best is a challenge. Thank you to all who try to do hides which are winter friendly, and to all those who chase after the hides after they are out there.

Cache on - Cache happy!:)

team moxiepup
01-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Great topic!!! We recently found a few frozen micros we could not get out. The ice storm we had earlier this winter really sealed quite a few caches in place. We got lucky on one lock n lock, the container was frozen in the crook of a tree but the cover came off and we were able to get to the contents and signed the log. A little more ice and we would have had to DNF it.

One of the downfalls of Lock n Locks is the fact that they get brittle in the cold and crack easily. Many of our hides are ammo cans so it takes a lot to break them. but they freeze in just like the lock n locks.. ask Gob-ler he tried really hard to get one of ours freed from its frozen tomb last winter but it refused to budge... even for him :D

Here is a pic of a micro we found recently but were unable to retrieve for fear of breaking the container. It was so close but so far. Well at least we know where it is and will find it quickly to sign the log after the spring thaw :)

Before Christmas we found a container full of frozen water and a very frozen log. We tried our best to clean it out and make it a bit better until the owner could replace it. We were able to sign the log on the edge of the frozen notebook. So we got our smiley on that one.:D

fins2right
01-19-2009, 11:48 AM
I ran into a cache last winter up at Colby that was completely frozen in. The ice was about 6 inches deep and clear as could be. I could see the cache, and even put my hand about 3 inches from it. I did not have the right tools to chip it out. (Like a jackhammer) If you find a cache frozen in like this, do you claim it. I did, my logic being that I found the cache, could see it, could tell where it is, I just couldn't touch it. About 1 month later the SandHillDon found the cache and put my geoname in the log for me. For Micros in a more accessable location, I would probably wait and sign them on a cache run. :rolleyes:

dubord207
01-19-2009, 12:07 PM
I bring a torch, a chainsaw and a rotohammer. As my dad would say "Come big, or stay home!":D

Last winter was my first winter caching and Di and I went for all caches, regardless of whether they were listed as winter friendly. There was some memorable poking and I know of two caches that were inadvertently damaged in the process. In response to the inquiry as whether to log a cache you find but is frozen solid, it's an individual decision but certainly an argument can be made that it's better to log the find rather then destroy the cache trying to get into it.

I have 4 Pelican cases to put out. If you're not familiar with them, Pelican makes the best cases, period. I have one for my camera lenses and about a dozen for my best rifles. They're expensive but these will last. I have three out right now and because the cases are air-tight when closed, the contents will stay dry as well and you won't get logs telling you maintenance is needed. If you're thinking of putting out winter caches and can make the investment, Groundspeak has these for sale. Camo one of these and hang it from something and you'll have a winter cache that will last!

EvilHomer
01-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Do a multi cache and leave a stick of Dyno-mite in stage one to blast stage two free.:)

hollora
01-19-2009, 03:42 PM
In response to the inquiry as whether to log a cache you find but is frozen solid, it's an individual decision but certainly an argument can be made that it's better to log the find rather then destroy the cache trying to get into it.

I have 4 Pelican cases to put out. ...............Pelican makes the best cases, period..............They're expensive but these will last................

Logging caches - it all depends on how you play the game. Some people say if you don't sign the log it doesn't count for a :). Other people - it doesn't matter. It's only a game = play it as you wish. The cache owner holds the final card because they can delete your log if they wish.

I found a cache a few weeks ago with little snow. It wasn't frozen in - and was a very unusual container.......but the cover which was threaded was frozen on tight! :eek: Because of the material and design, I did try to bang the cover loose = no luck! I think if some vaseline had been placed on the threads it wouldn't have frozen shut. So being unable to sign the log, I didn't take the find.

My daughter suggested had I taken my bag on the hike, I could have put a sticker on the outside of the container or signed it with a Sharpie marker. She always has great ideas.;) Of course a sharpie sign on a ice cube would melt - and the sticker would become geojunk! LOL

Pelican cases - they rock. Last year, after Marden's bought out a sporting goods store, I found some there. They were small - about the size for a wallet, cell phone or cache - $1.49/each. I really didn't realize what a buy they were so only bought a few. I should have bought the whole display! LOL Anyway - if anyone is close to Marden's that is something they have been known to carry.

pm28570
01-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Logging caches -
My daughter suggested had I taken my bag on the hike, I could have put a sticker on the outside of the container or signed it with a Sharpie marker. She always has great ideas.;) Of course a sharpie sign on a ice cube would melt - and the sticker would become geojunk! LOL

Perhaps a photo along with your log, not being a spoiler, of course. It's Maine, it's winter, it's sub-freezing temps. But with innovative ideas like EMSDanel's and other suggestions, the activity continues! Sure is nice seeing new caches popping up this time of year.....gives me hope that warmer weather is eventually coming.

Mainiac1957
01-19-2009, 07:39 PM
My personal rule is: If I don't sign the log, I don't claim a find. I am also the rare cacher that doesn't attend his own events. We all play the game our own way. Not to say it's right or wrong, just different.

Trick or Treat
01-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Nice to see this topic. I've been to three caches in the last few weeks that have been iced in for the winter. The worst one was a nalgene bottle sitting in a stump. It was upright, but was leaning against the side so I couldn't untwist the top. So frustrating! Keeping a list of spring revisits and waiting for the snow to melt!

attroll
01-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Nice to see this topic. I've been to three caches in the last few weeks that have been iced in for the winter. The worst one was a nalgene bottle sitting in a stump. It was upright, but was leaning against the side so I couldn't untwist the top. So frustrating! Keeping a list of spring revisits and waiting for the snow to melt!
Very good choice. It is better to put it on the list of ones to revist then to try and chip the ice away and possible damage or crack the container it is in and then the cache becomes damaged.

EMSDanel
04-06-2009, 11:00 PM
I started this thread by saying I had scoped out a cache location and wanted to keep it "winter-friendly" so I bought a star-shaped cookie cutter to place the cache on to keep it elevated out of any ice. Well, leave it to me....I had afterthoughts that the cookie cutter might not be enough. I'm that same guy that thinks if one nail will do then 10 will be that much better. So....I devised a stand for the cache to sit on. Wide PVC base at the top and bottom with a PVC pipe in the middle which elevates the cache about 10". A drain in the top like you would see in the floor of your shower. Screening over that so the cache always sits horizontal. And a topper over the cache so no snow or rain hits it. With my luck, though, this will probably turn into a winter condo for some animal like my Snipe Hunt #2 cache seems to be. Anyway, just doing my part to promote winter caching. The cache is in Ellsworth and was submitted tonight.

brdad
04-07-2009, 07:06 AM
I thought I had a great Winter cache idea, until someone in the Alaskan forums set me straight. :D

http://bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/igloo.jpg

Mapachi
04-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Very good choice. It is better to put it on the list of ones to revist then to try and chip the ice away and possible damage or crack the container it is in and then the cache becomes damaged.
yes, I broke a cache a couple of weeks ago!! Now, if I'm near by, I'll go back later. If it's a long ways off, and I pysically touch the cache, but can't reach the log; I log it as a find unless the cache owner objects.

brdad
04-08-2009, 08:34 PM
This is right from the gc.com guidelines.

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed. (http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#loggingofallcaches)

vicbiker
04-08-2009, 10:24 PM
I am also the rare cacher that doesn't attend his own events. I was just reading through some older post and came across this bit of wisdom and was wondering who was that BEARDED MAN.:confused:

WhereRWe?
04-09-2009, 07:48 AM
This is right from the gc.com guidelines.

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed. (http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#loggingofallcaches)

Sheesh We violate these guidelines occasionally - but we always "lay hands" on every cache we log.

This was one of the reason for my post yesterday about cache maintenance. We found a couple of log books that were so wet and soft that we couldn't possible sign them. I think cases like these should be an exception. :D:D

brdad
04-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Sheesh We violate these guidelines occasionally - but we always "lay hands" on every cache we log.

This was one of the reason for my post yesterday about cache maintenance. We found a couple of log books that were so wet and soft that we couldn't possible sign them. I think cases like these should be an exception. :D:D

I agree, as much of a purist as I am, it is not all black and white.
I consider scratching my name with a non-working pen or a stick or a rock in a wet logbook signing the log. Adding a dry slip of paper with my name on it counts for me as well - if I could still open the cache. I would not consider touching a cache container a find.

pjpreb
04-09-2009, 01:27 PM
"One for the Loafers" is often buried in several feet of snow. We have, on occasion, given permission for cachers to log it as a find without signing the log book.

WhereRWe?
04-09-2009, 04:33 PM
I would not consider touching a cache container a find.

I've seen caches where I literally couldn't get the container open, or it was thoroughly frozen in the ice. And I remember one cache - think it was in New Hampshire - where the cache container was a glass mayonnaise jar with a metal lid. No way could I get the cover off, and I could see the log book. I was sure I'd break the jar if I twisted any harder! LOL! I'll bet you would have logged that one!

brdad
04-09-2009, 06:56 PM
I've seen caches where I literally couldn't get the container open, or it was thoroughly frozen in the ice. And I remember one cache - think it was in New Hampshire - where the cache container was a glass mayonnaise jar with a metal lid. No way could I get the cover off, and I could see the log book. I was sure I'd break the jar if I twisted any harder! LOL! I'll bet you would have logged that one!

I'd like to be confronted with that situation to see what I would do. In my mind, I still would not log it if I did not open it. I think I would get the jar open, even if it meant breaking it. We have done several caches where Lee has tried to open it and said "If you can't open the cache, you can't log it!" Sometimes that gives her just enough adrenaline to open it. Other times, she hands it to me, and I give it all I have. I thought I would break a few of those, but they have always managed to come loose at the last minute so far!

In your case, you saw the log book - but in most cases, what if what you thought was the cache was a dummy cache? They do exist, 3 or 4 containers hidden in the general area of the real cache with a note saying" Sorry, this is not the real cache! Keep looking!". In those cases, you could be falsely logging a find on a cache.

dubord207
04-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Like I posted yesterday, if a log is mush and there's nothing even remotely salvagable, I extract the mess, put in a new log, sign it and move on.

If it's merely a log book that's wet, my Sharpie works fine. I would never grab a whole logbook and replace it unless the one in the cache is not readable.

And I've had a couple of e-mails from folks who found a cache of mine and couldn't get the cover off, the whole cache was frozen, etc and I've told them to log a find because they FOUND the cache and mother nature prevented them from signing. Anybody think that violates the spirit of the game?:rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
04-09-2009, 07:06 PM
In your case, you saw the log book - but in most cases, what if what you thought was the cache was a dummy cache? They do exist, 3 or 4 containers hidden in the general area of the real cache with a note saying" Sorry, this is not the real cache! Keep looking!". In those cases, you could be falsely logging a find on a cache.

No - we don't do caches with a difficulty rating of more than 3, so we would never run into those types of caches. LOL!

Sorry Brdad - we're not (comment vous dit...) "technical purists". We're honest, and I think we're comfortable in our decisions to log a cache or not. Maybe sometime when we're out caching I'll compare the "previous logs" on the PDA with the written logs, and let you know what I find! LOL!

brdad
04-09-2009, 07:14 PM
And I've had a couple of e-mails from folks who found a cache of mine and couldn't get the cover off, the whole cache was frozen, etc and I've told them to log a find because they FOUND the cache and mother nature prevented them from signing. Anybody think that violates the spirit of the game?:rolleyes:

That depends on the definition of 'spirit of the game' for both the cache finder and cache hider. I like the original idea of caching - Bring a person to a unique area, he finds the cache, logs his visit in the logbook, and puts everything back.

Caching has evolved to the point where with some caches you can't do exactly that (i.e. Earthcaches, Virtuals, Events, etc.) So there is room for the rules to bend some. While I generally accept that the validity of a find is between the cache hider and the cache owner, there are finds which are logged which I think are degrading to the sport. Logging caches your dog "placed", Logging a state park as a find by taking a picture at the gate showing the park was closed, And logging event caches multiple times for each temporary event cache you find are three examples. Again, that is my opinion, there are people who think that's the way they want to play and it should be fine.

I would not look down upon you for letting someone log your cache if they could not get it open, nor would I look down on the cacher. I would not log a find on it, however, and would not like to allow someone to log my cache that way. But I am a softy, it'd be hard to say no.

I will however, openly promote the practice of not logging a cache unless you sign the log!

fins2right
04-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Like I posted yesterday, if a log is mush and there's nothing even remotely salvagable, I extract the mess, put in a new log, sign it and move on.

If it's merely a log book that's wet, my Sharpie works fine. I would never grab a whole logbook and replace it unless the one in the cache is not readable.

No I do not. Last March I found a cache at Colby that was completely encased in the clearest ice you have ever seen. I could read the information on the sticker like it was behind a paine of glass. I did not dare chip through the ice as I was afraid that I would destroy the cache. I emailed the owner who told me to claim it. Example two: I found a destroyed cache in the Vaughn woods last summer. We found pieces of container, and pieces of the log. I cleaned it up, claimed the find and emailed the owner with the offer of mailing the remainders back. I have also replaced logs and tried to sign wet logs. As far as my caches go, it's the journey and the pleasure I take in watching people enjoy the caches and the game that is most important to me. To me, nothing much tops that, and nothing else much matters. As a side road I know I should not go down and will probably regret later.... An honest attempt is all that I have ever wanted. I think that the likelyhood of anyone just logging caches without trying is small. Plus, in the end, they are cheating themselves out of a good time, I do not consider it cheating me. I do not delete finds. I find it to be petty and vain. I find it even more petty to engage in a public tif on the posts over what should be a fun hobby. It is a little unreal that I work in an environment where I have kids with guns, bomb threats, kids with cigarette burns, girls being taken advantage of against their will and Drama, Drama, Drama. These are kids, and some of these actions are to be expected. We are adults, and we should know better. Now I am off my soapbox, feel free to break out the whips. On a much better note, it's supposed to be sunny and 55 degrees on Sunday and I'm going to fix the coords on my last placed cache (Sorry Pat and Dan!!!) and go caching!!!!!:D

Mapachi
04-09-2009, 08:01 PM
It's a game that you play against your self. If you cheat, only you know. If someone else knows, they shouldn't care. It's not their buisiness or their problem. Only the cheater lives with it, if they consider it cheating.

CACHE LONG AND PROSPER!

WhereRWe?
04-10-2009, 08:00 AM
there are finds which are logged which I think are degrading to the sport. Logging caches your dog "placed", Logging a state park as a find by taking a picture at the gate showing the park was closed,

Sheesh! You had to remind me! I haven't ranted about this in a long time.

And I note that certain dog is now listed as #122 world wide in caches found -at 7953 finds - and has placed 16 caches.

firefighterjake
04-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Sheesh! You had to remind me! I haven't ranted about this in a long time.

And I note that certain dog is now listed as #122 world wide in caches found -at 7953 finds - and has placed 16 caches.

So I've got to ask . . . is this dog's name . . .

a) Benji
b) Lassie
c) Rin Tin Tin
d) Hong Kong Fooey
e) Underdog
f) ________________other

:D

WhereRWe?
04-10-2009, 03:27 PM
So I've got to ask . . . is this dog's name . . .

a) Benji
b) Lassie
c) Rin Tin Tin
d) Hong Kong Fooey
e) Underdog
f) ________________other

:D

(F) Bulli the Wonder Dog

Mapachi
04-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Squirt the ****zu!

Mapachi
04-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Hey I thought a ****zu is a real dog! Why are there stars?? LOL!!

Mapachi
04-10-2009, 04:48 PM
How about Squirt the $#!+szu