View Full Version : TB Etiquette

fins2right
01-26-2009, 11:03 AM
At yesterday's event I engaged in and eavesdropped (sorry, habit from work :)) on a few conversations about TB's and Geocoins. I've got four or 5 TB's out there, one of which has gone to ground. I've released one coin, which I had about 50 cents invested in, so I was comfortable with letting it go.

I've seen one coin that was scanned in, printed out and encased in Poly released. I thought that it was a neat way to send out a coin and still keep it for a collection. I got a mixed reaction to that, some thought it was a good idea, others thought it was cheating.

The other conversation was about TB's. Typically, I exchange them one for one. If I see a lot of TB's in a hotel, I might grab an extra, just to get it moving. There were a lot of TB's left on the table at Eustis, so I grabbed 10 :rolleyes: and put them out in N.H. the next weekend. (I was helping to clean up and there about 25 or so hanging around) My question here is: Am I breaking any kind of TB etiquette by moving around too many TB's or coins. Is it better to grab a few TB's out of a cache and move them around, or leave them be? I know I really enjoy reading where my TB's move too and I have no issues with where they go. Does anyone have any thoughts about coins and bugs and what best to do with them?

ltlindian
01-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Good question and one that I had thought of yesterday at the event. We left a little early so I only grabbed one as I had only brought one. I would've like to have taken more (one for each kid to choose) but didn't want to be a TB hog. So I'll let the veterans decide if taking more is okay or not.

One the other question, taking a bunch in a cache--I think if it were my TB I would want it to move rather than sit in a cache so taking them is fine. I do try to leave one if I'm taking one or two though, just so someone else behind me can take one as well. Although if it were a cache that was not visited very often, I would take them all just to get them moving again.

Team V3
01-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Generally, travelers are not subject to the same rules as SWAG. If you are going somewhere that will help the travelers satisfy their missions then I don't see any reasons for limitations. Some people that have travel bug hotels may make rules limit how many you take ( 1 for 1 for example) but the general consensus I have seen most people have is just move them on as much as you can. However, if I am wrong here feel free to correct me people.

Ekidokai
01-26-2009, 03:27 PM
If I see a TB I'll pick it up, see where it's been and put it in another cache to move it along. I own 8 and most of them are doing good.

hollora
01-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Generally, travelers are not subject to the same rules as SWAG. If you are going somewhere that will help the travelers satisfy their missions then I don't see any reasons for limitations. Some people that have travel bug hotels may make rules limit how many you take ( 1 for 1 for example) but the general consensus I have seen most people have is just move them on as much as you can. However, if I am wrong here feel free to correct me people.

Some folks consider a cache where you have to trade trackable for trackable a "Jail". My Emporium started with that rule but I have since changed it.

Keep 'em moving - just log 'em!

Team V3
01-26-2009, 05:41 PM
We have 3 out there. They were all picked up in like October. So far only one has been moved on but I am not worried yet. Caching really slows down at this time of year and I am sure the person plans on moving the others when we get some good caching weather

team moxiepup
01-26-2009, 07:35 PM
We love to see our TBs move so if anyone finds any of ours please move it along...as it is in their name "Travel" Bug, not "sit in a cache" bug. We have been to many events and have found that many times once everyone has cleared out there are lots of bugs "left over". If there are still quite a few waiting to be picked up, we will check to see if there are a few more that we could help move along. We enjoy moving bugs around and watching where they go and looking at where they come from.
As a TB owner our rule is keep it moving :D

Now on another related subject:
If you own a cache and there is a bug listed in it that you know is not there and hasn't been there for a long time do you mark it as missing? We are wondering if cache owners even know that they can mark a bug/coin that is supposed to be in their cache but has gone MIA as missing. This lets other cachers and the TB/coin owner that it is not in the cache. If at a later time it is found elsewhere, then it can still be picked up/grabbed and moved along.

hollora
01-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Now on another related subject:
If you own a cache and there is a bug listed in it that you know is not there and hasn't been there for a long time do you mark it as missing? We are wondering if cache owners even know that they can mark a bug/coin that is supposed to be in their cache but has gone MIA as missing. This lets other cachers and the TB/coin owner that it is not in the cache. If at a later time it is found elsewhere, then it can still be picked up/grabbed and moved along.

Ah - yes, thank you for bringing this to the front - an important point. And another point....as the cache owner, what will and can you do to help locate what happened to a trackable? I have gone to look at the log, emailed folks about perhaps taking one and even recovered a few. So, this is a multi-layered effort.

Thank you to TMP for mentioning the effort on the part of the cache owner.

team moxiepup
01-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Before marking any as missing we have always checked it out for ourselves and checked the log for any indication of who or when it was picked up.

fins2right
01-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Ah - yes, thank you for bringing this to the front - an important point. And another point....as the cache owner, what will and can you do to help locate what happened to a trackable? I have gone to look at the log, emailed folks about perhaps taking one and even recovered a few. So, this is a multi-layered effort.

Thank you to TMP for mentioning the effort on the part of the cache owner.

I have to admit, I had not even thought of this. I have a cache in Waterville that has two bugs listed. One of the last logs states that one bug is actually in a cache about 2 miles away. I had considered fixing the problem, but both are under 2 ft. of snow now. One is a coin owned by Evilhomer. He has one of my coins........... Perhaps a prisoner exchange....:D:D

EvilHomer
02-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Muhahahahahahah! Ahhahahaahhamhahauuaauua!