View Full Version : New to otbers, GPS

Kaching Karen
01-30-2009, 07:12 PM
I have two friends that would like to get into geocaching, yet can't afford a fancy GPS. Do any of have an old one that you could part with, cheaply?

hollora
01-30-2009, 09:11 PM
I wanted a loaner/extra and picked up a yellow Etrex for less than $50 on Ebay. Works fine.

vicbiker
01-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Sorry already loan out my spare. I'm still trying to figure out what an "Otbers" is. LOL

Haffy
01-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Sorry already loan out my spare. I'm still trying to figure out what an "Otbers" is. LOL

You'll have to forgive her Vic, remember she is a teacher....lol :rolleyes:

Ekidokai
01-31-2009, 11:18 AM
I saw a few on the Wal mart site that were as low as $85.

eBay is a good place to look. You have to get into it a little to know when to bid on things. I have gotten things like brand new DVDs of as little as a dollar. There are times when things go cheap, like during the Super bowl. If you bid on things in the low flow times like that you will get a better deal.

Yahoo has an auction site. As well as many others. Look around. Also try some of the pawn shops. I have seen them in there too.

Haffy
01-31-2009, 12:55 PM
And don't forget here (http://maine.craigslist.org/)

Ekidokai
01-31-2009, 01:11 PM
He's got it now.

Haffy
01-31-2009, 05:40 PM
For the moment anyway....:D

vicbiker
01-31-2009, 10:16 PM
remember she is a teacher....lol :rolleyes:Evidently not a spelling teacher....LOL

hollora
01-31-2009, 11:50 PM
There is also a sale thread on the national Forums of GC.com......I haven't read through it but it might be worth a look.

attroll
02-01-2009, 01:49 PM
If someone is willing to maintain a pool of GPS's that can be used to let new users use them then return them after a certian period of time. I have one I can throw in the pool.

Ekidokai
02-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Holy cow! That's a great idea.

hollora
02-01-2009, 06:15 PM
One of the newer cachers, a while ago, told me their library (I think it was down around Freeport way) had a lending program - for them - just like for books. I tried to talk my local library into doing it but they didn't have the funds to buy one.

My plan was with my old one to try to start our library out with my old one if they would take on the program. Of course, I haven't bought a new one to replace my old one yet. ...........

Well, you all get it. It seems a perfect match for a library to loan out books on caching and the units. My librarian did find a beautiful (coffee table type - large, beautiful - set it on a table) book on Geocaching with some georgous photos in it. Orrington (ME) library to view it (if it's in) and you can get a cache too! Years of Upheaval - GCZM7V

attroll
02-01-2009, 07:22 PM
That is what I am suggesting we do here at Geocaching Maine if someone wants to take on the task of collecting old GPS's and monitoring them.

Kaching Karen
02-01-2009, 08:35 PM
I like the idea of pooling the GPS units. I borrowed a lot to do a clinic at a provincial park in Canada. All the GPS units made their way back to the owner who lent them to me.

I may be doing a clinic at the end of March and may need to borrow them again.

My question is, what if one goes missing?

attroll
02-02-2009, 12:57 AM
I like the idea of pooling the GPS units. I borrowed a lot to do a clinic at a provincial park in Canada. All the GPS units made their way back to the owner who lent them to me.

I may be doing a clinic at the end of March and may need to borrow them again.

My question is, what if one goes missing?
That is the question I knew was going to get asked.

I would say that we would not advertise that we are doing this.

We could maintain a pool and loan them only to people have had someone in our Geocaching Maine community give them a good reference. Most of the time it is a friend of someone in our community that is interested anyways.

vicbiker
02-02-2009, 09:01 AM
My question is, what if one goes missing? I say we have Ekidokai put the Fear of God into them before they borrow the unit.LOL

Team V3
02-02-2009, 02:53 PM
lol Seriously, it is a great idea if it can be done. Unfortunately we just have the one we use.

robt
02-03-2009, 02:19 PM
I would offer mine but it would cost $175 to get running again and I am still arguing doing it myself for my use.