View Full Version : Cache software for Blackberry's

pm28570
02-02-2009, 06:26 AM
Has anyone used this application for Blackberry's? http://www.cacheberry.com (http://www.cacheberry.com/)

Team Richards
02-02-2009, 07:11 AM
I haven't tried it but it looks cool. They just gave us Blackberrys at work...and they did say we could use them for personal use. This is one way to make sure I take it with me when I go into the woods. I wonder if it will work with GSAK.

pm28570
02-02-2009, 08:09 AM
I have a similar situation, it's for work and have it with me all the time.....hence the name "crackberry".....I'm addicted to it. That said, I have accessed the GC.com to take a look at an individual cache while looking. Only problem of course is the lack of service in some areas of the state.

Ekidokai
02-02-2009, 12:18 PM
I wonder if they would work underwater?

tat
02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
This (http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=212761) might interest you.

pm28570
02-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Thought I would update this with a short report. I've tried the 30 day trial and it looks like it would be ok. Keeping in mind that I'm "geek challenged"......actually, I'm just challenged......I'll try to describe it.

Once the application is on the Blackberry and on the pc, open a cache on GC.com and click "GPX eXchange File". In the dialog box that opens, select "Save to Disk" and save. Opening the application on both the device and the PC, the files can be transferred. One downside is that only one file at a time can be transferred. Doesn't take long, just would be nice if you could select as many as you want.
The resulting display shows the caches waypoint ID as well as the name of the cache. Selecting a cache, one will see is much of the placement data such as terrain, difficulty, coordinates, date placed and the owner. The description follows. The hint, encyrpted or not, does not show.

Advantages? In my view:

It's paperless
Already using a Blackberry? It's only $14.95
Transfers are pretty easyDisadvantages? Again, my view is:

Can only transfer on file at a time to the device.
When deleting from the Blackberry, each file must deleted individually. BB users will know that you can delete an entire mailbox with a click or two.So, when the free trial is up I'll probably spring for it. After all, it's a gadget-intensive activity isn't it? :)

NativeMainer
02-11-2009, 01:12 AM
So, when the free trial is up I'll probably spring for it. After all, it's a gadget-intensive activity isn't it? :)

It's starting to be, isn't it. I'm still working with a Garmin Venture and a Palm Z-22 with very little problems. I took the Palm with me when I did the NH Rail Trail. First time I did an extensive amount of paperless caching.

My cell phone company (Unicell) was taken over by Verizon. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Blackberry myself. I really don't use a cell phone all that much, so I'm trying to justify the added expense to myself.

masterson of the universe
02-11-2009, 09:18 AM
It's starting to be, isn't it. I'm still working with a Garmin Venture and a Palm Z-22 with very little problems. I took the Palm with me when I did the NH Rail Trail. First time I did an extensive amount of paperless caching.

My cell phone company (Unicell) was taken over by Verizon. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Blackberry myself. I really don't use a cell phone all that much, so I'm trying to justify the added expense to myself.

As an employee of the said company(s), I may be able to offer a little information on that. If you go with a BB or any other smart phone at this point, Verizon requires a data package. This means you either have to spend the loot to take a premium calling plan (not cheap IMOO) with unlimited data or spend the extra $15 for the feature itself. The main difference is with the Blackberry, their premium plan is more expensive than the standard calling plan. Personally, I steered away from the free phones being offered and went with an Env2 for $50. It's not considered a smartphone so no data package was required yet it has a full qwerty board for texting and browsing ease. I don't have a palm or anything so I just saved the GC.com search screen as a favorite and revisit the cache page if needed. Works pretty well as long you can get service.

attroll
02-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Maybe look into US Cellular. I only pay I think $24 more a month for BB service and have unlimited data.

Ekidokai
02-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Maybe look into US Cellular. I only pay I think $24 more a month for BB service and have unlimited data.

Wow, that sounds like a good deal. I'll look it up.

Davidson 7
05-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Hey guys... I'm just about at the end of my cell phone contract and looking at BB. We have US Cellular. Any more insight to the Cacheberry app that anyone can share?

pm28570
05-03-2009, 09:36 AM
I've been using it for a while now and really like it. With experience comes increased knowledge and I've learned more about the application menu. Once downloaded, the file also includes hints and logs, which I earlier incorrectly reported were not there.

Certainly you would have to check with your cellular provider, but I would imagine you could use the BB device with Cacheberry and have cell service without actually contracting for RIM service. That said, I've become addicted to my BB as I said earlier. I am fortunate in that my device and service is provided by my employer however at this point, if that were not the case, I no doubt would go this way myself. Hope this helps.

Hey guys... I'm just about at the end of my cell phone contract and looking at BB. We have US Cellular. Any more insight to the Cacheberry app that anyone can share?

Davidson 7
05-03-2009, 09:18 PM
It does! thank you! :)

FFFarmer
06-18-2009, 06:30 PM
One downside is that only one file at a time can be transferred. Doesn't take long, just would be nice if you could select as many as you want.
The resulting display shows the caches waypoint ID as well as the name of the cache. Selecting a cache, one will see is much of the placement data such as terrain, difficulty, coordinates, date placed and the owner. The description follows. The hint, encyrpted or not, does not show.

I noticed this post is a few months old, however I just loade Cacheberry to my 8330 Curve (US Cellular) and I am able to load pocket queries into it, I have 3 PQ's that update weekly and it will overwrite and update them each time. I have 951 caches on mine, each one has 5 logs, hints, and an option to go to the website for the cache page. The big advantage is that you have the info even if you do not have service. This may be a newer version.

Haffy
06-18-2009, 07:46 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!! It's FFFarmer,,,it's alive!~!!! :eek::D Haven't heard from you in ages,where yah been?

hollora
06-18-2009, 08:25 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!! It's FFFarmer,,,it's alive!~!!! :eek::D Haven't heard from you in ages,where yah been?

He's been showing up to work ........... we knew he was there.......:) Just not hitting on the caching thing for a while! ;)

pm28570
06-18-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm using the 8330 Curve as well and as time goes on, I'm picking up on the features of Cacheberry. Indeed, it is easy.

I noticed this post is a few months old, however I just loade Cacheberry to my 8330 Curve (US Cellular) and I am able to load pocket queries into it, I have 3 PQ's that update weekly and it will overwrite and update them each time. I have 951 caches on mine, each one has 5 logs, hints, and an option to go to the website for the cache page. The big advantage is that you have the info even if you do not have service. This may be a newer version.

FFFarmer
06-19-2009, 10:15 AM

“The Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.”

As most can understand the challenges of getting two out of school and into college, two jobs, etc., etc., we put caching on the back burner for a while. We were also getting a little burned out on the lamp post, guardrail, sign post caches where the biggest challenge was not getting run over. Where also time was an issue, having to hand enter coords into older units made too much work sometimes. This spring we decided to ease back into it and with the Blackberry and a new GPSmap 60CSx I think we're back in the game. Someday I'm even going to go get the one 1/2 mile from my house that was placed 2 years ago (no rush, I know ALL the skeeters up there by name).

Haffy
06-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Hey I know the feeling,I've got approximately 100 unfound caches myself within just 30 miles or so of where I live. Not working and unemployment kind of get in the way of caching without money for the essentials, like GAS!!!

Ekidokai
06-19-2009, 09:47 PM
I know a gal that has a Crackberry. I talked her out of it for a day. It cost me a lot, but I did it. We got the Cacheberry app and started using it. It was a little hard at first, but it really worked. I see a ton of potential there.

WhereRWe?
06-20-2009, 07:11 AM
[B][I][U]We were also getting a little burned out on the lamp post, guardrail, sign post caches where the biggest challenge was not getting run over..

Sheesh! We know how you feel! I especially hate the guardrail-on-the-bridge cache, where a big guy like me REALLY has to be careful! LOL! :o:o

But don't get me started on this subject, or you'll be sorry! LOL!

Saint367
06-23-2009, 11:48 AM
I just purchased the Blackberry 8330 Curve 2 weeks ago and love it (along with being addicted to it). Will have to give the caching software a try soon.

Waterski
10-09-2009, 10:10 AM
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to add a few questions....
I am thinking of updating my phone to the BB. We are also in need of updating the gps. So folks...the BB says it has GPS. The girl at the store could not get it to work and knew nothing about it, even though she tried while I was there. Is there really usable GPS for our purposes of Caching?
Do you all use a separate GPS unit, and just use the BB to download the information?
I am torn between these two things...update to a BB, or just get a Oregon or Colorado maybe that does it all with the description, hint right in the unit? I read a post on a review site, that said you have to separately load each cache if you want the description. Could that be true? I could not imagine Dubord would be loading each one separately for thousands of caches.:-) I know one of you Pro's will have some great answers!!

Waterski
10-09-2009, 10:11 AM
My provider is U.S. Cellular..

TRF
10-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Great question. If I was to start from scratch, knowing what I know presently, I would buy the high end GPSr. I say this not because it will work better than other GPSr but it definately makes it more fun. Sort of like skiing, any ski will get you down the hill but the higher end stuff makes it more fun.

Cache On!!

TRF
10-09-2009, 10:40 AM
... ... ... hint right in the unit? I read a post on a review site, that said you have to separately load each cache if you want the description. Could that be true? I could not imagine Dubord would be loading each one separately for thousands of caches.:-) I know one of you Pro's will have some great answers!!

This is not true, at least not for the Dakota. From GSAK,I select the caches I want to load and everything is uploaded, including past logs, decrypted hints, etc. etc.

pm28570
10-09-2009, 10:42 AM
I use the BB in conjunction with my Garmin GPSr. Using Cacheberry, I can load individual caches or load whatever I have in a PQ or GSAK. I have the description, hints, cords, D/T, etc. I really like it. In my case, my employer provides the BB and is very generous in personal use.

That said, if I were using a Colorado/Oregon/Delorme, most likely I would not get a BB just for this reason. Some cell providers do require a service agreement that must include a data package with RIM. Best to check to see if the cost is worth what you seek.

Perhaps Dan can weigh in on the Colorado/Oregon part knowing he and Di sue them, in addition to a Garmin GPSmap 60 series like mine.

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to add a few questions....
I am thinking of updating my phone to the BB. We are also in need of updating the gps. So folks...the BB says it has GPS. The girl at the store could not get it to work and knew nothing about it, even though she tried while I was there. Is there really usable GPS for our purposes of Caching?
Do you all use a separate GPS unit, and just use the BB to download the information?
I am torn between these two things...update to a BB, or just get a Oregon or Colorado maybe that does it all with the description, hint right in the unit? I read a post on a review site, that said you have to separately load each cache if you want the description. Could that be true? I could not imagine Dubord would be loading each one separately for thousands of caches.:-) I know one of you Pro's will have some great answers!!

Waterski
10-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Where would I get cacheberry, and is that something you must have to load the cache info? Can you load directly from the geocaching page into any of these units, or must you go through Gsak? I got my premium membership, and also have loaded GSAK, but am still trying to figure it all out. I got one page loaded into GSAK, also could not figure out how to get the demo info out of gsak, so now I have great page of Maine caches and California caches on the page. You can stop laughing now. One of these days I will catch up with the masses on paperless caching. ha

cano
10-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Why do you need a BB? Why don't you buy a standard Windows Mobile Phone with GPS? There are plenty of car navigation and geocaching SW for Windows mobile. I'm using HTC Touch HD for everything http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchhd/specification.html
HTC just released a new version HD2 which is even better, it also contains electronic compass, larger (multitouch) screen and many other features, see here:
http://www.htc.com/www/product/hd2/specification.html

If you need a good smartphone stuffed with features, HTC (High Tech Computers) is the only choice. Don's ask some girl in a shop ask a guy who knows.

Waterski
10-09-2009, 10:56 AM
I am stll under a contract with U S Cellular cano until April. They seemed to only offer me the BB. I def. don't really need a blackberry.

pm28570
10-09-2009, 11:01 AM
You can look at www.cacheberry.com. In addition to Cacheberry (free for a number of days, then it requires purchase. Very reasonable), you would need the Blackberry Desktop Manager that will come with the Blackberry device. From there you can 1) download individual caches and load in or 2) Do a PQ and load via GSAK. It's quite easy. As for GSAK, play with it and ask questions here.

Cano mentions Windows-based devices as well. Why do I use the Blackberry? The price was right :).

Where would I get cacheberry, and is that something you must have to load the cache info? Can you load directly from the geocaching page into any of these units, or must you go through Gsak? I got my premium membership, and also have loaded GSAK, but am still trying to figure it all out. I got one page loaded into GSAK, also could not figure out how to get the demo info out of gsak, so now I have great page of Maine caches and California caches on the page. You can stop laughing now. One of these days I will catch up with the masses on paperless caching. ha

pm28570
10-09-2009, 11:03 AM
It looks nice. Who is your cell service provider?

Why do you need a BB? Why don't you buy a standard Windows Mobile Phone with GPS? There are plenty of car navigation and geocaching SW for Windows mobile. I'm using HTC Touch HD for everything http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchhd/specification.html
HTC just released a new version HD2 which is even better, it also contains electronic compass, larger (multitouch) screen and many other features, see here:
http://www.htc.com/www/product/hd2/specification.html

If you need a good smartphone stuffed with features, HTC (High Tech Computers) is the only choice. Don's ask some girl in a shop ask a guy who knows.

cano
10-09-2009, 11:13 AM
I am stll under a contract with U S Cellular cano until April. They seemed to only offer me the BB. I def. don't really need a blackberry.

You don't need any contract, HTC is selling SIM unlocked smartphones of course, you can use it with any SIM card with any operator in the world. Just put your SIM card to a new phone. I bought a prepaid SIM card with some nokia phone from T-mobile, throw nokia to garbage and use the SIM card with my HTC HD. I prepay always $100 which lasts a year and that's all I pay for my cell phone service. I don't need to tie myself to any expensive contracts :) When my operator pisses me off, I just throw his SIM card away and buy from another one anytime I want.

cano
10-09-2009, 11:16 AM
It looks nice. Who is your cell service provider?

Who ever I want to any time I want to. Currently I have US T-mobile SIM card.

Waterski
10-09-2009, 11:25 AM
That is dirt cheap for the phone. Where,and how much did you have to pay for the phone though? Hundreds?

Waterski
10-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I meant, dirt cheap for the phone service.

Waterski
10-09-2009, 11:30 AM
PM- This cacheberry looks like a good program. What do you get with just the BB? I am assuming you can just check the regular groundspeak internet page, right?

Waterski
10-09-2009, 11:32 AM
I can get the blackberry for about one hundred dollars right not, with rebates. They do charge an extra $25.00 a month though for the service.

cano
10-09-2009, 11:57 AM
That is dirt cheap for the phone. Where,and how much did you have to pay for the phone though? Hundreds?

I bought it on the Internet and had it shipped from UK. It cost around $800. I was laughing I can double price of my car just putting a cellphone in it. (I had an old one back that time). It is cheaper now I guess, but still it's a lot of money for a cellphone you may think, however your total cost of ownership during two years is: $800+$100+$100 which is $40 per months assuming you throw it to the garbage after, if you sell it just for $200 it's $33 per months, I guess that's at least how much you pay now for your contract. if you keep it 3 years it will cost you $25 per month. You will get an all in one tool, you can keep it with you all the time in your pocket. I don't need to carry a backpack of gadgets with me :) I use it for car navigation, geocaching, for browsing the internet and email and as a cellphone of course. I just need to load my PQs to only one device. When I travel I don't carry my laptop with me, because this cellphone has a large enough screen to browse Internet and emails. It has a very good digital camera (for a cellphone) with autofocus, it will not substitute your camera, but it gets its job done, it's great for taking picture of documents, it's sharp and focused even at close distance.

pm28570
10-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Quite frankly, I'm not sure. Our IT department sets them up for the employees that have them. It magically appeared one morning on my desk. Cano is making some very good points, I like the BB because of what it does and what it cost me, $0. My employer requires I be in constant contact via email and phone with our 25 regional offices in 25 countries. So, the BB is always with me. Are there better/cheaper/more extensive/no contract/breakfast making/car washing devices available? Probably.
I'm familiar with what Cano is describing as it is what I do when I travel. I have a phone that I use internationally and purchase pre-paid SIM card and pre-paid cards, (Although this is becoming more and more difficult in Central Europe due to anti-terrorism laws. Some countries are requiring passports to purchase SIM cards and limit quantity.) it is much cheaper than having an international wireless plan. Whereas in North America, we generally only utilize contract cellular service, resulting in some very competitive pricing from service providers. Pay as you go here in the States is usually Trac Fone or some similar service. Again, Cano has a valid point. Examine the total costs.

Regarding getting it from cyperspace to your BB, it's very easy. On the cache page, click on GPX eXchange file, download to your desktop, transfer to the BB and then delete from the desktop. Or, run a PQ and load it that way.

In the end, what's the total cost and what is the value of what I get. Now that I've rambled on, hopefully an Oregon/Colorado/Delorme user will add in some comments.

PM- This cacheberry looks like a good program. What do you get with just the BB? I am assuming you can just check the regular groundspeak internet page, right?

Rydnfree
10-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I haven't tried cacheberry, but I have been using geocache navigator on my BB and it has been working great. you can find and log your caches and it works on real time, no cache loading required.

dubord207
10-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Di and I kicked up the technology a notch or two today. I picked up Topo 8.0 this week and have it on my laptop. I have an inverter in our toyota so we have power to the laptop.

So we plugged the Blackberry into one USB port and followed the prompts and then plugged a Vista hcx into another port and WOW....a Nuvi on Steroids complete with voice prompts, routing from cache to cache and internet access going down the road! Only did a handful of caches but what cool stuff getting to them!:) Does Toyota make a truck or SUV with a built in 5KW generator, laptop mounts, front and rear and an in dash 17 inch color monitor? Di doesn't like riding in the back with the dogs!:)

pm28570
10-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Binford caching? :D

Di and I kicked up the technology a notch or two today. I picked up Topo 8.0 this week and have it on my laptop. I have an inverter in our toyota so we have power to the laptop.

So we plugged the Blackberry into one USB port and followed the prompts and then plugged a Vista hcx into another port and WOW....a Nuvi on Steroids complete with voice prompts, routing from cache to cache and internet access going down the road! Only did a handful of caches but what cool stuff getting to them!:) Does Toyota make a truck or SUV with a built in 5KW generator, laptop mounts, front and rear and an in dash 17 inch color monitor? Di doesn't like riding in the back with the dogs!:)

dubord207
10-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Doesn't Binford make a Hummer like truck that could accomodate two, maybe three laptops in the front seat?;)

TRF
10-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Doesn't Binford make a Hummer like truck that could accomodate two, maybe three laptops in the front seat?;)

You need to think out of the box a bit --> Heads-up Display (http://www.popsci.com/gear-amp-gadgets/article/2009-06/heads-display-embedded-glasses) --> be the first cool-kid to set this stuff up. :):)

dubord207
10-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Circuit City, Best Buy, tiger GPS, who has these?. I want one!

Waterski
10-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Darn, if it was a portable unit, maybe you could sell me your colorado???? Maybe you could mount it on a dogs back and take it in the woods. :-) with a generator . St. Bernard's may be in your near future!

pm28570
10-11-2009, 06:50 AM
Too expensive. The generator runs on gasoline, which is affordable. The dog, on the other hand, runs on beer.

Darn, if it was a portable unit, maybe you could sell me your colorado???? Maybe you could mount it on a dogs back and take it in the woods. :-) with a generator . St. Bernard's may be in your near future!

Waterski
10-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Two drinking dogs and a Hummer for three laptops in the front seat, could be a bit of an expense, just for geocaching....hmmmmmm...

robt
10-11-2009, 10:46 AM
You need to think out of the box a bit --> Heads-up Display (http://www.popsci.com/gear-amp-gadgets/article/2009-06/heads-display-embedded-glasses) --> be the first cool-kid to set this stuff up. :):)

Dang it did not say were I could order them.

dubord207
10-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Just returned from a run to the Mall in Portland. Best Buy doesn't carry Head's Up Displays. They told me to contact some company out west..McDonald's Douglas or something like that. They make airplanes for the military. Can't find it. When I google McDonald's all I get is fatty food stuff.

Where else can I find one of these gadgets?:D

shuman road searchers
10-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Why don't you just duct tape your laptop to the windshield?:D

pjpreb
10-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Too expensive. The generator runs on gasoline, which is affordable. The dog, on the other hand, runs on beer.

I can attest that at least one of those dogs (Nick) also runs on bacon. He came to mooch breakfast with us in Eustis. He did have a hops/barley/malt aura about him though :D:p:rolleyes:;)

Waterski
10-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Dubord, my better half thinks you may need a special windshield as well, for the reflective area for heads up. $$$$$$$$.

pm28570
10-11-2009, 09:04 PM
I kept hearing about this "beer drinking dog". Well, they were neighbors at Eustis and all I can say is.....I never witnessed any dog drinking any beer. I can say, however, I did see one Black Lab begging for a glass of Merlot to have with his kibble. :D

I can attest that at least one of those dogs (Nick) also runs on bacon. He came to mooch breakfast with us in Eustis. He did have a hops/barley/malt aura about him though :D:p:rolleyes:;)

squirrelcache
11-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Unlocked phones as I've always understood it, require GSM. CDMA networks don't use a SIM card, which is why you buy "unlocked". Not all GSM networks are compatible w/each other either...voice and data are not always easily accessible, so your unlocked phone may leave you "locked in" many times, despite a fantasy of having an unlocked phone in Maine. I believe Verizon has the largest part of the coverage locked down w/CDMA. :(