View Full Version : The CENTUM Challenge, GC1KCQW

lexmano
02-09-2009, 04:31 PM
This is a new challenge cache recently published in Maryland. :eek:

Link http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f159da31-02cd-46a2-8f91-d530cfacca6e

An intriguing idea. We leave for Southern California Wednesday and will frolic in cache density we have not previously experienced. :)

Who knows, will a trip to Maryland be in our future? That $5 FTF prize is sure tempting. All kidding aside, it will be fun to see if we can approach that number.

Sometimes, it is just about the numbers!! :D

fins2right
02-09-2009, 09:19 PM
:):):) Today I spent a little time driving around looking a possible hiding spots. I thought it would be fun to place a few hides before the WWWWWWWWWW. My family had so much fun racing around Windsor and I thought it would be OK to cling on to RULOST2 and WhereRwe?'s coattails (I hope they don't mind, please tell me if you do) But then I thought: Can you put to many caches out in one area? Oakland now has a bunch between the Messalonskee Trail caches, Laughing Terrys new caches, my three ect. Waterville isn't really loaded down like Augusta...... Fairfield has a few. I've really got some neat ideas for a few caches and I'm working hard on securing permission for a night cache/Multi setup this spring. Is it bad to overload an area?

NativeMainer
02-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Wow! I did 53 in one day on the NH Rail Trail and I was pretty beat afterwards (wet shoes didn't help).

kayaking loon
02-10-2009, 04:18 PM
:):):) Today I spent a little time driving around looking a possible hiding spots. I thought it would be fun to place a few hides before the WWWWWWWWWW. My family had so much fun racing around Windsor and I thought it would be OK to cling on to RULOST2 and WhereRwe?'s coattails (I hope they don't mind, please tell me if you do) But then I thought: Can you put to many caches out in one area? Oakland now has a bunch between the Messalonskee Trail caches, Laughing Terrys new caches, my three ect. Waterville isn't really loaded down like Augusta...... Fairfield has a few. I've really got some neat ideas for a few caches and I'm working hard on securing permission for a night cache/Multi setup this spring. Is it bad to overload an area?

There can never be too many caches, as long as they're all good ones!

Mapachi
02-10-2009, 09:56 PM
No, it is not. Please do!

Kaching Karen
02-10-2009, 11:08 PM
I never thought anyone would refer to Augusta as "overloaded." Wow, there was a time when it wasn't worth coming here to cache. My three caches were about one third of the existing caches. Thanks to all those who have placed caches in the area. I'm waiting for the spring to get them so I can do it by bicycle. Okay.... I'm weird.

WhereRWe?
02-11-2009, 11:27 AM
My family had so much fun racing around Windsor and I thought it would be OK to cling on to RULOST2 and WhereRwe?'s coattails (I hope they don't mind, please tell me if you do)

Go for it! We don't consider the Waterville/Winslow area "our area" for placing caches, and are glad that others have placed caches for the event attendees.

:D:D

Sudonim
02-11-2009, 01:33 PM
I did 200 caches in 4 days and thought I did pretty good! 100 in 24 hours would give me writers cramp.

Haffy
02-11-2009, 05:57 PM
I did 200 caches in 4 days and thought I did pretty good! 100 in 24 hours would give me writers cramp.

Hey Andy ,that is PRETTY GOOD and don't fool yourself....:eek::D

Sudonim
02-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Hey Andy ,that is PRETTY GOOD and don't fool yourself....:eek::D

I had some Maineiac following me around for most of it...

Gob-ler
02-11-2009, 10:39 PM
I am headed for my February trip to Maryland and a cacher down that way wants to give it a try. I think we can do it!

Team2hunt
02-12-2009, 09:40 AM
I am headed for my February trip to Maryland and a cacher down that way wants to give it a try. I think we can do it!

How did I know this was coming? Have a great trip and good luck. :)

LaughingTerry
05-25-2009, 07:26 AM
I tried the centrum challenge on my motorcycle and came up 5 short. If I had done it a little different I would have made it. Maybe next time. LOL After doing 95 caches Friday I slept all day Saturday.

LaughingTerry
05-25-2009, 07:39 AM
I tried the centrum challenge on my motorcycle and came up 5 short. If I had done it a little different I would have made it. Maybe next time. LOL After doing 95 caches Friday I slept all day Saturday.

I meant the New England CENTUM Challenge. LOL

Sudonim
05-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Terry, I think that doing 95 on your own is pretty impressive. When Mainiac, QuiltingMom and I did it, there was 1 driving, 1 navigating and 1 reading the description and notes and it still took us 13.5 hours (in a much more target rich environment too).

hollora
05-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Terry, I think that doing 95 on your own is pretty impressive. When Mainiac, QuiltingMom and I did it, there was 1 driving, 1 navigating and 1 reading the description and notes and it still took us 13.5 hours (in a much more target rich environment too).

Amen! :D:eek::D:):)

LaughingTerry
05-29-2009, 08:11 PM
With a little better planning I'll get it next time. LOL

hollora
06-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Well, I have to say for a Maine Centum to be possible - two non-members of our site have DONE IT! Yes, some quite cachers, RyMastah and his parents Peace Out did it together on 5/30! A great accomplishment.

Now - it this an absolute established and published cache here in Maine???

Regardless some cadooos to the folks who have done this withint the state.

Hiram357
06-03-2009, 09:13 PM

I think you deserve an honorary badge for even attempting that. I know how difficult it is for two or more people working together in a car, doing it by yourself on a motorcycle and getting that close is pretty darn impressive. :cool:

hollora
06-03-2009, 09:22 PM
It's impressive for anyone. I did not post this to one up LT - as he knows - he is a friend. Just to let folks know there are people who never "join" this site who are very active cachers, do challenges, put out caches and otherwise do good things for the sport. In fact, I have a coin I got in the wild belonging to RyMastah - which is an incredible on to release into the wild. It will be out there - be looking.

Congrats to all who do this pending a cache publication - I hope whoever might go one may consider doing some retrospective stats.

hollora
06-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Thought I could go back and edit - see no option - sorry my spelling is bad - it should read - whoever might do - not go! LOL Enjoy the humor in my post with my spelling and keyboarding.............

Kaching Karen
06-04-2009, 09:29 PM
The question has come up, "Can you do 100 a day by bicycle?" Well, some of us are thinking about taking on this challenge. We've got to find the right place, the right time, and the energy. I think it will be fun just to try it.

hollora
06-04-2009, 09:54 PM
The question has come up, "Can you do 100 a day by bicycle?" Well, some of us are thinking about taking on this challenge. We've got to find the right place, the right time, and the energy. I think it will be fun just to try it.

Knowing you and a couple of folks I think you might partner with - I think you are up for the challenge. For me, this would be extreme caching......

Always fun to have a new goal!

Sudonim
06-05-2009, 08:29 AM

Someone at Geowoodstock said that the average centum took people about 200 miles. A centum by bike would take some detailed planning to get done (and shorten the path up as much as possible), but go for it, I want to read about the adventure!!!

kayakerinme
06-05-2009, 04:18 PM

You might have heard of Castleman of Castle Coins and Pins (though he's not doing those anymore). He was trying to convince me to come to southern CA (California, not Canada) and do a few of the caches that have been placed in shapes. They're easy to do; in fact, he did one by jogging. "Easily 1000 in a week...", he said.

When you posted this, I thought of those series. I sent him a message earlier today and he replied with some caches from the series:

GC1M5JJ this is one of the heartburn

GC1JEWR this is one of the smiley

GC1KPAV this is one of the NO CLUE

GC1JNBC this is one of the Tarot series

GC1M018 this is one of my wishbone series which is next to the geocoin highway

Search the google maps on these caches and you'll be in heaven

I like the smiley face. NO CLUE you have to zoom out and there are others in the area.

Now, if only you can get your bike out there with you, I think you could do it :p

Gob-ler
06-08-2009, 07:51 AM
IF you do the Centum on Bicycle I will add a First to Complete by Bicycle category to the cache page.

Now that would be a serious accomplishment!

Mainiac1957
06-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Do an ONLY to complete by bicycle catagory. It will be all Karen's:rolleyes::D

tandemstoker
06-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Would a tandem bicycle count? Or, would that be a separate category?

Ekidokai
06-08-2009, 07:12 PM

This gives me an idea. More info to follow.

Kaching Karen
06-08-2009, 08:57 PM
You might have heard of Castleman of Castle Coins and Pins (though he's not doing those anymore). He was trying to convince me to come to southern CA (California, not Canada) and do a few of the caches that have been placed in shapes. They're easy to do; in fact, he did one by jogging. "Easily 1000 in a week...", he said.

When you posted this, I thought of those series. I sent him a message earlier today and he replied with some caches from the series:

GC1M5JJ this is one of the heartburn

GC1JEWR this is one of the smiley

GC1KPAV this is one of the NO CLUE

GC1JNBC this is one of the Tarot series

GC1M018 this is one of my wishbone series which is next to the geocoin highway

Search the google maps on these caches and you'll be in heaven

I like the smiley face. NO CLUE you have to zoom out and there are others in the area.

Now, if only you can get your bike out there with you, I think you could do it :p
I need to check these out! Very cool!

masterson of the universe
06-09-2009, 09:21 AM
You've been busy out there in the forest Mike. I see the bike connection now...:)

Ekidokai
06-09-2009, 11:01 AM
You have no idea. Muha, ha ha ha.

There is something coming that will blow your minds.

Kaching Karen
06-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Mike, is it enough? I think not.... is there more to come?

Ekidokai
06-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Just keep watch. You'll all be surprised I think.

Ekidokai
06-13-2009, 06:31 AM
I did it! I did the Centrum Challenge. I did it on the 11th. it took 19 hours but I did it. Hooray for me. I just spent the last two days listing them. Tom is gonna kill me today. Actually I did over 125.

Oh yea, Karen you'll be all set for that bike run of yours now.

Pictures to follow of a huge turtle. Also saw many rabbits and a nice moose. Found a bike. Saw a lot of nature.

Sleepy time for me now. Good day.

hollora
06-13-2009, 05:30 PM
I did it! I did the Centrum Challenge. I did it on the 11th. it took 19 hours but I did it. Hooray for me. I just spent the last two days listing them. Tom is gonna kill me today. Actually I did over 125.

Pictures to follow of a huge turtle. Also saw many rabbits and a nice moose. Found a bike. Saw a lot of nature.

And tomorrow you will "have mail"! :eek: Next to log the OkeyDokeyMobil into them all! ;) Mike your fingers are going to be sore! :D

TRF
06-13-2009, 06:37 PM
You have no idea. Muha, ha ha ha.

There is something coming that will blow your minds.

All I can say,,, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

cachecrashers4
06-13-2009, 08:01 PM

:eek: That's impressive! You've been very busy. Thanks for naming a cache after us. Now we'll have to plan a weekend trip to come up there and get them all. What a numbers boost that would be. You're awesome man! :D

Ekidokai
06-13-2009, 09:13 PM
If anyone hears that Maine Publisher is coming north, please let me know, so I can hide.

EMSDanel
06-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Oh my......You know, Ekidokai, I was going to write to you to tell you how crazy you were for listing all of those in the Bangor City Forest caches on the same day. It makes it way too easy for the phone alert boys to go out and scoff them up before anyone else even sees them. I would have listed them one day at a time. Well, I just turned my computer on (8:15pm on Saturday) and fell right off my chair.

It's time for Dan's Top 10 List:

#10 - I think Maine still has laws about inciting a riot
#9 - I've taken the liberty of informing the three ambulance services that cover
the Stud Mill Road and Route 9 to pre-stage ambulances out there to
reduce response times to the accidents that are certain to occur from FTF
seekers sliding in to ground zero(s)
#8 - How fast can I obtain a permit to set up a hot dog/hamburger cart?
#7 - Don't look now, but the boys outside your door are wearing white coats.
We can do this one of two ways....either you go voluntarily or you go by
being "blue papered."
#6 - Gob-ler has hired a helicopter
#5 - I had no idea they had installed traffic lights out on the Stud Mill Road!
#4 - The Maine Office on Tourism has the "Governor's Award" for outstanding efforts
to bring tourists to Maine (true). Mike, this will surely go national.
#3 - I recall that GPSFun originally turned down my request for the 6 caches at my
Geo Zoo saying that, although the rules state that you must maintain at
least .10 mile between caches, Groundspeak really discourages "power runs".
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
#2 - The Centum Challenge has suddenly become less of a challenge. Should there
now be a Sesquisentennial Challenge?
#1 - Bless you Mike. This was quite an effort on your part. Sincerely, there are
many geocachers that will be very thankful. I did over 1,000 finds in my first
year but have had to severely curtail my geocaching since then. I just might
make 2,000 thanks to you. This is unprecidented......

dubord207
06-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Jim of Shuman Road Searchers and I headed North around 8 this morning after the first 32 were published. We got them all and had 10 FTF's but cano is still out there and he may be on a record breaking FTF run. We were headed back when another 50 or so came out and we headed up route 9 but got stuck on the Great Pond Road. This should be a very doable Centrum for most. What an effort by Mike!!!!!:)

Ekidokai
06-14-2009, 01:21 AM
I'm gonna need a wagon here in a minute if I read this again. I can't catch my breath. Ha, ha, ha, ha. Oh my God! Help!

Sesquisentennial Challenge. Hummmm, that gives me an idea. I know where to do it, but I just don't think I could put that many out in one day. Without a little training anyway.

Oh my......You know, Ekidokai, I was going to write to you to tell you how crazy you were for listing all of those in the Bangor City Forest caches on the same day. It makes it way too easy for the phone alert boys to go out and scoff them up before anyone else even sees them. I would have listed them one day at a time. Well, I just turned my computer on (8:15pm on Saturday) and fell right off my chair.

It's time for Dan's Top 10 List:

#10 - I think Maine still has laws about inciting a riot
#9 - I've taken the liberty of informing the three ambulance services that cover
the Stud Mill Road and Route 9 to pre-stage ambulances out there to
reduce response times to the accidents that are certain to occur from FTF
seekers sliding in to ground zero(s)
#8 - How fast can I obtain a permit to set up a hot dog/hamburger cart?
#7 - Don't look now, but the boys outside your door are wearing white coats.
We can do this one of two ways....either you go voluntarily or you go by
being "blue papered."
#6 - Gob-ler has hired a helicopter
#5 - I had no idea they had installed traffic lights out on the Stud Mill Road!
#4 - The Maine Office on Tourism has the "Governor's Award" for outstanding efforts
to bring tourists to Maine (true). Mike, this will surely go national.
#3 - I recall that GPSFun originally turned down my request for the 6 caches at my
Geo Zoo saying that, although the rules state that you must maintain at
least .10 mile between caches, Groundspeak really discourages "power runs".
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
#2 - The Centum Challenge has suddenly become less of a challenge. Should there
now be a Sesquisentennial Challenge?
#1 - Bless you Mike. This was quite an effort on your part. Sincerely, there are
many geocachers that will be very thankful. I did over 1,000 finds in my first
year but have had to severely curtail my geocaching since then. I just might
make 2,000 thanks to you. This is unprecidented......

Gob-ler
06-14-2009, 07:02 AM
If only I had been in the state! Out of town, out of state, taking care of business.

Sounds like you all had fun!

Mainiac1957
06-14-2009, 07:02 AM
Mike you do understand that the object was to FIND 100 caches in a day, not to PLACE 100 caches in a day.

Not to be-little your efforts, but now anyone can grab 100 caches in a day. It is now no longer a challenge. :confused:

I'm sorry that I feel this way, but as most that know me I do state my feelings. When I did the Centum with Kathie and Sudonim it took us 13.5 hours. We did it quickly compared to others. When we were done it felt like we accomplished a challenge.

You're a good guy Mike and I applaud you for long hard work putting out this monumental number of caches. As for Cano, he must think he is in heaven with all the FTF opportunities. I'm guessing he is still out there somewhere, finishing them up. Good for him....

TRF
06-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Mike you do understand that the object was to FIND 100 caches in a day, not to PLACE 100 caches in a day.

Not to be-little your efforts, but now anyone can grab 100 caches in a day. It is now no longer a challenge. :confused:

I'm sorry that I feel this way, but as most that know me I do state my feelings. When I did the Centum with Kathie and Sudonim it took us 13.5 hours. We did it quickly compared to others. When we were done it felt like we accomplished a challenge.

You're a good guy Mike and I applaud you for long hard work putting out this monumental number of caches. As for Cano, he must think he is in heaven with all the FTF opportunities. I'm guessing he is still out there somewhere, finishing them up. Good for him....

LOL! I was looking to Portland to do the "challenge" and using GSAK I choose a cache in the middle and searched for a 5.0 mile radius and came up with more than enough caches to complete the Centum Challenge. I think those that haven't achieved large "found" numbers, the challenge is more about actually setting out to do it than the actual feat of logging 100 caches. No matter where or how you do the centum challenge, its going to be a long day. I don't think placing 100-125 caches makes a mockery of the Centum challenge at all. I think it compliments it rather nicely actually :D and I don't have to worry about parking like I would in Portland.

I say Kudos to Mike for the huge undertaking.

shuman road searchers
06-14-2009, 07:59 AM
To each his own. There are those who want to do the challenge just to be able to say they have done it. Mikes would be a great place to do that. Some others want to do the challenge in a more difficult setting. Because some cache differently than others there are options for just about everyone now. I would do either because I would do it with someone and enjoy their company. One of the things I enjoy the most about caching has and is the chance to meet people and to have fun caching with them. I do not care if the hides are hikers or p&g's because it is more about having fun with a friend and creating memories that I can forget when I get old!

Katadin Goddess
06-14-2009, 09:26 AM
i've been busy the last few months with moving, get settled in the new home, dealing with a minor medical issue and of course cant forget the nickelback concerts. sounds like fun, gets me out of the house for a day. look forward to the challenge

Mainiac1957
06-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Mike, it was herculean effort on your part to place all these caches. I guess that for many these will be a chance to see some new territory on the Stud Mill Road. I will get out there and peck away at them little by little. Thanks for the new caches.

Ekidokai
06-14-2009, 12:43 PM
I was afraid this would irritate some on here. Brdad for one because he really doesn't like micros and insignificant caches. That's fine with me. I really hate nano's and have just stood and wondered at quite a few caches why I was brought to that spot.

I was really worried about setting people off about the Centrum Challenge also. I for one would never try it. I'm just not that fast and I like to look around too much. I did check with a couple cachers I knew that had done the Centrum and they had no problem with it. I truly and deeply apologize to anyone that feels I was attempting to cheapen anyones accomplishments. Like I stated, I don't think I could ever do it.

I have been looking at all the caches out there with 1 or two logs to them. I thought if I gave people another reason to travel out there they might see more wilderness than ever before. I also wanted to see if it could be done.

Then of coarse I was hoping to draw more people in. With a concentration of caches like that out in the wild, who could resit. I know I saw the biggest turtle ever out there, tons of rabbits, two moose playing, and an eagle I think. The eagle kind of starred me down, it wasn't about to move so I left.

And believe it or not I really appreciate hearing any feelings one way or the other. How else am I going to know what people think. Critique of any kind I think is good.

So please take the good with the bad and let it go.

brdad
06-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Ekidokai, I really appreciate your ability to understand (or at least listen to) both sides without getting wound up. That says a lot about a person. I take no issue with you personally, your caches were approved after all.

Edit: And before I get accused of it, my issue is not with the approver either, he's just going by his guidelines.

Ekidokai
06-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Now you tell me. Where were you a couple of days ago?

Just to stir things up even more, if you read some of the great logs and posts about this thing I created. These are not that easy to do. You can get stuck out there at a dead end.

Not all roads lead to The Okeydokey Mobile.

parmachenee
06-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks Mike! :) I can't imagine placing that many caches and getting them right!!! :eek: That's worth logging the Centrum just by itself!! We look forward to doing them. I would recommend doing them on the weekend though as the Stud Mill Rd. is VERY heavily traveled by pulp trucks and work trucks during the week. They don't slow down!

Ekidokai
06-14-2009, 04:13 PM
I was out there in good weather in between two rain days and it wasn't too bad.

parmachenee
06-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks Mike! :) I can't imagine placing that many caches and getting them right!!! :eek: That's worth logging the Centrum just by itself!! We look forward to doing them. I would recommend doing them on the weekend though as the Stud Mill Rd. is VERY heavily traveled by pulp trucks and work trucks during the week. They don't slow down!

I meant Centum.:o Keyboard got in the way!:D

parmachenee
06-14-2009, 05:25 PM
We've decided to do the challenge Saturday, June 20th. I'm studying the best approach at this time. If anyone wants to join us in a day of caching on the Stud Mill Rd., we would love to have you. Bring food, beverages and a good writing hand. :) If anyone is interested and/or has a good plan of attack, we will look forward to hearing from you. We will be there regardless.

kayaking loon
06-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Did someone say "wilderness", and "logging road" and "moose" ?? I'll be there! Not sure when but I'll definitely be there. :D Thanks!

Kaching Karen
06-15-2009, 09:45 AM
You are tempting me, but since you found a bike... can you test out the bike challenge part first? LOL .... just teasing!

EvilHomer
06-15-2009, 12:49 PM
You are a very ambitious man Mike! 100 caches. Whoa. The only complaint I have is you went into a few areas I had been making some plans around. GRRRRR! Shoulda bought it when I sawd it.......! ;)

Ekidokai
06-15-2009, 12:56 PM
The best suggestion I can think of is go at it from the Crawford end. This way the gas gage wont be such a concern near the end of your trip.

Another thing would be bug spray. Everything people see out here is a lot bigger than normal. That includes the bugs.

parmachenee
06-15-2009, 02:02 PM
The best suggestion I can think of is go at it from the Crawford end. This way the gas gage wont be such a concern near the end of your trip.

Another thing would be bug spray. Everything people see out here is a lot bigger than normal. That includes the bugs.

I agree on both counts! And Saturday and Sunday, June 20 and 21, will be the longest days of the year! More daylight hours to accomplish the task.:D

EMSDanel
06-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Awwww...... You can't imagine how proud and excited I was to learn that there was a cache named after me out on the "Stud Mill" Road...how fitting is that? (as I flexed my muscles). Well, now I see that it's really on the "Little" River Road. OK...who told? ;-(

Mainiac1957
06-15-2009, 02:39 PM
I would join the mob heading out there this weekend but we are going to the county so Kathie can work on the DeLorme. Now if anyone wants to go the following weekend I will have some seats I think. :rolleyes: PM me your reservations.

pjpreb
06-15-2009, 07:49 PM
We'll be making this run during our vacation the last week of July with our caching pals from CT. Looks like we may get to be the 100th to sign each log by then! Looking forward to the power caching and (hopefully) seeing some moose (or at least a really big turtle):p

Kaching Karen
06-16-2009, 05:32 AM
Awwww...... You can't imagine how proud and excited I was to learn that there was a cache named after me out on the "Stud Mill" Road...how fitting is that? (as I flexed my muscles). Well, now I see that it's really on the "Little" River Road. OK...who told? ;-(

:p Oh Dan, oh Dan.....

I'm hoping to do this some time in August. I'm off traveling with the parents for about a month. It should be fun.

shuman road searchers
06-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Congratulations to Trezurs*-R-*Fun for successfully completing the centum challenge!! I was fortunate enough to be along for the ride and had a blast caching with Steve! He was kind enough to let me have 85 of my own along the way. When I do the centum here in Maine Steve will have a chance to accomplish it twice in the same state. Again, CONGRATULATIONS my friend and I look forward to more cache runs with you!

LaughingTerry
06-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Congratulations to Trezurs*-R-*Fun for successfully completing the centum challenge!! I was fortunate enough to be along for the ride and had a blast caching with Steve! He was kind enough to let me have 85 of my own along the way. When I do the centum here in Maine Steve will have a chance to accomplish it twice in the same state. Again, CONGRATULATIONS my friend and I look forward to more cache runs with you!

I really wanted to go but one of the Transport Officers is off all week so they have me working every day. Later this summer I want to try to hit all 125 Ekidokai just put out recently. On my motorcycle of course.

brdad
06-18-2009, 05:54 AM
I really wanted to go but one of the Transport Officers is off all week so they have me working every day. Later this summer I want to try to hit all 125 Ekidokai just put out recently. On my motorcycle of course.

I think you will find the Stud Mill Road is closed to motorcycles, dirt or street.

pm28570
06-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Terry, what will you do different this time as opposed to your last challenge attempt? Last one was impressive enough however.

EvilHomer
06-18-2009, 12:44 PM
I think you will find the Stud Mill Road is closed to motorcycles, dirt or street.

Hmmmm? I know its closed to 4 wheelers, but I dont know about Road Bikes. Some of the caches are on the County rd and the Greenfield rd which are fine for bikes, but the Stud Mill Rd, or ST REGIS rd as Google maps calls it, is a private road with some restrictions.

Hiram357
06-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Hmmmm? I know its closed to 4 wheelers, but I dont know about Road Bikes. Some of the caches are on the County rd and the Greenfield rd which are fine for bikes, but the Stud Mill Rd, or ST REGIS rd as Google maps calls it, is a private road with some restrictions.

nope, it's closed to motorcycles too. ATVs, Dual Sports, Road bikes, ect...

Ekidokai
06-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Oh crap! I have been out there 100's of times on my motorcycle.

Where can you find this information out?

Haffy
06-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Probably from the local law enforcement as he hands you the ticket....lol :eek:

Hiram357
06-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Probably from the local law enforcement as he hands you the ticket....lol :eek:

haha, that's the easy way.... but there are signs posted about it. I'll look around on some of the ATV club sites and see if I can't dig something up, but because most of the road belongs to private logging companies, they probably just don't want the hassle of having to slow down to dig someone out of their radiator, that usually causes overheating problems... :D

hollora
06-18-2009, 08:10 PM
There is a sign as you enter the Stud Mill Road - I knew I was legal so I didn't bother to read it.

LaughingTerry
06-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Terry, what will you do different this time as opposed to your last challenge attempt? Last one was impressive enough however.

I will map out and put a route into my GPS with just the 125 caches, get up early, and go like hell. LOL On the studs road I will just plead ignorance. LOL

Gob-ler
06-20-2009, 09:32 PM
I drove the SMR yesterday and never saw a police vehicle! Saw six logging trucks, 5 pick ups and 7 cars.

6,501,203 mosquitoes and 2 moose flies.

Three turtles, three live rabbits and one dead one.

7 ravens, 27 bluejays, 1 beaver and 3 hawks.

It was a good day to be on the SMR.

We did them all but one!

darterkitfox
06-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Well if I start today, I may be able to get all the coordinates for these hand entered into the Delorme by first snow. Perhaps I will have my wife enter half of the coordinates into our more reliable Etrex and then we will be done by August.

Haffy
06-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Just curious but why are you hand entering all those coordinates anyway?

dubord207
06-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Shuman road searchers ( Jim ), bsstacy (Brian) sister Paula, AKA mmface, lena484 (Leone) Di and myself did 100 even yesterday June 20th in the Manchester/Nashua area. Very hard day of caching even with 5 veteran cachers. Brian handled all the logistical and techno side of the equation. Very well mapped route, everybody was giving a detailed log book and at 5 in the morning off we went, first cache at 5:35, last at 9:05 PM! In spite of my best efforts to test the limits of New Hamster's u-turn laws we only had contact with one police officer, pictures of the encounter that will no doubt be published by my commrades who thought the whole deal was funny!

So after a quick 90 in Costigan this past Tuesday cleaning up the ones I hadn't done last Saturday, it was a tough 100 in NH. We saw an abundance of caches with either soaked or full logs and had 11 DNF's on 1.5/1.5 park and grab caches. I respectfully suggest that Maine Cachers are more diligent about their caches. I didn't bring spare logs as this was a numbers day but I would have replaced half of the logs if I'd had them.

Both Nuvi's "acted up" in downtown Manchester, running us around in circles due to a major downtown road now closed and a couple of our planned caches right on the river and the Nuvi "thought" there were a lot more bridges over the Merrimack then there really is!

So time to start a bit of logging. Glad to finally log a Centum!:)

WhereRWe?
06-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Both Nuvi's "acted up" in downtown Manchester, running us around in circles due to a major downtown road now closed and a couple of our planned caches right on the river and the Nuvi "thought" there were a lot more bridges over the Merrimack then there really is!

It's note the Nuvi - it's the maps.

One of our complaints about Garmin's maps is that they'll lead you to the closest point to a cache, even if it is on the other side of the river. LOL!

brdad
06-21-2009, 02:20 PM
It could be the Nuvi. We were sent to a footbridge once and expected to cross. And yes, we were in Automotive mode. I think there used to be a vehicle Bridge there but it wasn't updated.

shuman road searchers
06-21-2009, 04:48 PM
I wondered if it was the Nuvi only because the Tom Tom was choosing different routes quite often. The NH Centum Challenge was a great deal of fun with great people! I am glad I was a part of it. The pictures of Dan's encounter with the law will follow as soon as I get things logged in.

dubord207
06-21-2009, 04:51 PM
My Nuvi has the last maps ( for a whopping 70 bucks ) but is there a way to avoid the wrong side of the river deal? I got to see some FLP property on the west side of the river looking for one of Bruce's caches so I'm guessing Bruce knows the problem well. I just got bumped out of geocaching.com with a message "Server is too busy." What the heck does that mean? I was on cache log #82 on yesterday's Centum and was anxioius to get that done as the logging is harder then the finding!:rolleyes:

It's note the Nuvi - it's the maps.

One of our complaints about Garmin's maps is that they'll lead you to the closest point to a cache, even if it is on the other side of the river. LOL!

Haffy
06-21-2009, 05:28 PM
I just got bumped out of geocaching.com with a message "Server is too busy." What the heck does that mean? I was on cache log #82 on yesterday's Centum and was anxioius to get that done as the logging is harder then the finding!:rolleyes:

Typical weekend once again,,,,even the forum has been acting up lately,I tried getting on there this morning and got the same busy message. They certainly need to clean up their act or they are going to be losing alot more of their premium members.

brdad
06-21-2009, 06:44 PM
With so many more members joining and placing and logging finds the servers just can't keep up with it. But sometimes just one of the servers is bunged up and you can just log into one of the other server(s). For example, if you are having trouble, try c3po.groundspeak.com or r2d2.groundspeak.com

WhereRWe?
06-21-2009, 07:26 PM
With so many more members joining and placing and logging finds the servers just can't keep up with it.

Even on GeocachingMaine.org, we're still getting at least one new member every day - and that doesn't include the spammers! LOL!

And when you're logging 30/40/50/100 caches every day, that ties up the GC.com server BIG TIME! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

brdad
06-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Even on GeocachingMaine.org, we're still getting at least one new member every day - and that doesn't include the spammers! LOL!

And when you're logging 30/40/50/100 caches every day, that ties up the GC.com server BIG TIME! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yep, as the main page says, at least today:

There are 831,349 active caches worldwide. In the last 7 days, there have been 673,303 new logs written by 86,155 account holders.

Sudonim
06-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Yep, as the main page says, at least today:

There are 831,349 active caches worldwide. In the last 7 days, there have been 673,303 new logs written by 86,155 account holders.

...and how many cache queries/page views are there per actual log entries? Busy place.

Ekidokai
06-22-2009, 12:54 AM
I know how that poor machine feels. I was helping Hollora yesterday so I didn't do much computer work. I just finished up reading 961 messages. They are still coming in.

hide_from_the_kids
06-22-2009, 06:10 PM
thought some folks might be interested in this as well (since we are the topic of 100 caches in a day)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c5beb9d9-d576-4ff4-94ac-b91cc0aea813

bsstacey
06-24-2009, 10:58 AM
thought some folks might be interested in this as well (since we are the topic of 100 caches in a day)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c5beb9d9-d576-4ff4-94ac-b91cc0aea813

Thanks for the advertising. To clear up some recent questions.
1. It doesn't matter when you did the centum, just that you did it
2. You must sign the log in the physical cache at the posted coordinates
3. If you want to form a group of 100 people and each do one cache, go for it. Good luck finding 99 other cachers willing to do that. If you can sleep at night having done so, then by all means have a blast.

This is a game! Play how you want, log how you want, hunt how you want. I cache the way I cache, it happens to be the way that Shuman Road Searchers, Dubord207, mmface, lena484, mapachi, et al cache, but if you want to log a find that you didn't find, log it, you're only cheating yourself.

shuman road searchers
06-25-2009, 09:31 PM
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/2/medium/Pumpkin_Pie_1.JPG (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2838)

dubord207
06-26-2009, 06:49 AM
Here are the logs about this cache, a DNF by the way.

One of very few DNFs for the Team 100 today...and I have pictures of Dan's run in with the law.

[view this log (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=60308258-3675-4f1d-ac98-cde3fa0d95e7)] http://www.geocaching.com/images/silk/photo.png Pumpkin Pie 1 (http://geocachingmaine.org/forum/"./log.aspx?IID=0bb11f0a-46ce-4e68-80b0-9e23195befaa&LID=75192074"View)
http://www.geocaching.com/images/silk/photo.png Pumpkin Pie 2 (http://geocachingmaine.org/forum/"./log.aspx?IID=b1c542ad-9b62-4910-ae3a-d98cf84e9622&LID=75192074"View)

http://www.geocaching.com/images/icons/icon_sad.gif June 20 by <A style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline" name=75047146>lena484 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=c1fbc8c1-2ad6-4a85-a737-af07fe2e8ba1) (258 found)
Stay tuned for photographic evidence of Dan's "arrest". Our quest for the centum was arrested as well, for the moment at least.

[view this log (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=90d8a2cf-29ab-4051-9d68-4f6ee1ba7860)] http://www.geocaching.com/images/icons/icon_sad.gif June 20 by <A style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline" name=74828574>mmface (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=6919e1fc-34a5-4959-8638-4ad14cc14f08) (860 found)
Bad enough that we are posting a DNF...but Dan got "arrested' by a motorcycle officer who wondered what we were doing and why Dan was parked the way he was. Great photo op! 6 of us could not find this cache and we lost valuable time trying in our run to 100 in a day.

[view this log (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=b952913c-2bee-45d8-a67f-9514d4118d17)] http://www.geocaching.com/images/icons/icon_sad.gif June 20 by <A style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline" name=74793783>dubord207 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=249fc97d-4f34-4e00-96e7-b0e21dd79559) (2323 found)
No smiley here. In fact, we, maybe I'm somewhat responsible for some minor time consumming issues in the midst of our frenzied effort to do a Centum.
So the arrow on my Oregon starts swinging left, I spot a small turnoff, a guardrail and ....well "left turn Clyde!" So I pull across all 4 lanes, safely, IMHO and very few screams from the 3 ladies in the car, and we exit to find what should have been an easy cache. So as I'm rummaging around in knee high poison ivy and every other word is "frig" my sister starts with "Dan, oh Dan, Dan," and I said "Hey, I'm trying to find the frigging cache!" And I turn around and this Eric Estrada wanna be motorcycle cop says "What cash, Sir?"
So this young buck of a cop with the spit shined shoes, Harley, toothy grin wants to know what we're up to and why my car seems to be parked in "an unusual angle."
I start with the Reader's Digest explaination of caching and I sense he doesn't get it, but he's got handcuffs and a big gun in his holster so I try to be polite.
My wife and my sister are encouraging me not to antogonize the nice officer and the Stacey's are keeping their distance across the 4 lane street, parked I guess what one would call "legally." Eventually he removed the handcuffs and gave us a police escort out of Nashua with a warning to "keep you cash in you pocket and go back to Maine as soon as possible!" [This entry was edited by dubord207 on Thursday, June 25, 2009 at 2:39:04 PM.]

bsstacey
06-26-2009, 11:39 AM
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/2/Pumpkin_Pie2.jpg

shuman road searchers
06-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Five cachers jumping out of the car and dodging traffic like frogger and you do not want us to look suspicious?!