View Full Version : 100 plus finds in ONE day!

dubord207
02-18-2009, 04:21 PM
gob-ler did 102 caches....YESTERDAY!!!!!! All I can say is WOW!:):)

pm28570
02-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah but.......how many were FTF's?

Wow Gob-ler, pretty impressive. How did you do it?

gob-ler did 102 caches....YESTERDAY!!!!!! All I can say is WOW!:):)

iampaw
02-18-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm going to try it in March in AL

cachecrashers4
02-18-2009, 06:57 PM
:eek: Holy crap!!! I'm impressed.

shuman road searchers
02-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Congrats on the feat! That is a serious days(24 hours) caching! I am happy with 100 in a month (720 hours)

NativeMainer
02-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Woo hoo!!! Three Cheers for Gob-ler.

pjpreb
02-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Glad we don't have to log all those TFTC's. Any memorable ones out of those 102?:rolleyes:

Ekidokai
02-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Holy crap! That is a lot.

Trick or Treat
02-18-2009, 09:29 PM
That's incredible! We're going to FL in April and we were laughing at thought of being able to even get 50 in a day.

fins2right
02-18-2009, 09:34 PM
:eek: Is there anything more to say? I feel good getting over 15.

vicbiker
02-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Never doubted it for a minute....a guy who does caches at 1:30 am is capable of most any challenge. Great Job Dick.

hollora
02-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Congrats Gob-ler on reaching another goal. You are incredible - and make us all realize that dreams are but things which can be achieved....... WOW!

Cache on - cache happy!

WhereRWe?
02-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Sheesh! In a 24-hour period, that's one cache every 14 minutes! :eek::eek:

Seems to me the worldwide record for caches-in-a-day by a "team" is 300 or so, but I think they discovered caches separately and not as a group. :rolleyes:

Anyone know what the worldwide record for caches-in-a-day for an individual is?

Brdad - any stats??

brdad
02-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Sheesh! In a 24-hour period, that's one cache every 14 minutes! :eek::eek:

Seems to me the worldwide record for caches-in-a-day by a "team" is 300 or so, but I think they discovered caches separately and not as a group. :rolleyes:

Anyone know what the worldwide record for caches-in-a-day for an individual is?

Brdad - any stats??

First of all I have to say congrats to Gob-ler for his accomplishment. Secondly, Nothing written beyond here is meant to be a discredit to him or his accomplishment.

That being said I there is no way to give those numbers with much validity. Much of it lies in how trustworthy you think the the individual and their respective logs are.

Most people or groups who pull these numbers on a regular basis actually take more than one day to complete. Sure, there is one day of caching, but there could be several days planning the most efficient route. The caches are loaded into the GPSrs as well as Auto navigation and a route entered to make getting to and from each cache faster. 100+ finds in one day would be much harder if you were dropped into an area with an empty GPS and PDA. Not that there is anything wrong with planning - it's not often I go out blindly caching, even for 5 finds. It takes a lot of work and dedication to get 100+ finds in one day.

Anyway, there have been a small number of cachers in the national forums who have claimed over 200 finds in a day. The one I trust the most has found over 250 in one day. Usually these are done in groups. But even as in group caching we have done, oftentimes when one finds the cache, they back away and let the rest of the group keep searching. The ones really looking to up their numbers will have the first person to find the cache announce it and every logs or sticks a sticker on the logbook to save time. Some powercachers just stick the sticker on the outside of the cache instead of wasting time opening it. Usually a maximum hunt time is decided upon, often between 2 and 5 minutes - No time for reading plaques or worrying about muggles! And then there are the cheaters (by my definition) - who will log caches they didn't find or post date the cache log so that it appears they found many caches in one day.

I think we are really fortunate here in Maine. I don't think we have many, if any, cachers who would knowingly deceive the system to up their numbers. Some of us have different logging practices and ethics, but I think we are a trustworthy group.

There is at least one cache out there where you have to log 100 caches in a day and prove it to be able to log. There is a cache where you have to log at least one of the cache hider's caches every day for 100 days - not real hard, since he has 2000+ hides :(.

Gob-ler
02-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks all for the comments. We logged our first cache at 6:30ish just as the sun was coming up and finished sometime around 10 PM. Lots of commuter traffic affected us in the morning and evening rush. We even did a few difficult ones with terrain ratings going up to I think 3 and difficulties up to 4.

We both searched for the caches at the same time and when it was found we signed our names or initialed where the logs were small. I think we averaged somewhere around 7 or 8 caches an hour not counting food breaks and such.

I am now just leaving to go and do the Centrum Cache. You have to do 100 caches in a calendar day sometime after the publish date of the Centrum Cache.

I think 100 could be done in Maine, but you would surely put a lot more miles in than we did. We drove a total of 300 miles from where I picked the other cacher up to dropping him off. I was some 30 miles from him so a total of about 360 miles including the travel time to get there.

We used pocket queries from GSAK. JC had a Colorado and I used my Oregon and DeLorme PN40. We navagated with a Nuvi. There were no pre scouted lists or such. We went into Fredericksburg, VA and just followed the arrow.

The logging was the most difficult part. It just takes a long time to log 100 caches. I looked at a power logging program, but when I downloaded it and tried it things did not go smoothly. I did it the old fashioned way.

We enjoyed ourselves and the cache finding part was just a plus. Lots of laughs and such. It was a very good day with 50 degree temps and sunny skies. I never saw a patch of snow all day long.

brdad
02-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Especially when gc.com gets slow, it could take nearly as long to log online as it does to find em all! At least it seems it. Logging virtuals and Earthcaches can slow the process down too.

Would be nice to have some of that weather here!

WhereRWe?
02-19-2009, 06:26 PM
I don't doubt for a minute that someone can do 100 caches in a day - especially if you put in the 16 hours that Gob-ler did! LOL!

RULOST2? and I have been in several areas where it would have been possible - Atlanta, Knoxville, TN, etc. - but it's not our style of caching! :D:D

brdad
02-19-2009, 08:29 PM
I don't doubt for a minute that someone can do 100 caches in a day - especially if you put in the 16 hours that Gob-ler did! LOL!

RULOST2? and I have been in several areas where it would have been possible - Atlanta, Knoxville, TN, etc. - but it's not our style of caching! :D:D

Exactly - like I said, it takes a lot of dedication. I think it could even be done here in Maine in a few areas if the person didn't have many or any finds in that area. For example, there are about 150 active caches in a 5 mile radius of Lewiston. Not far off from the approximate 175-225 per 5 mile radius in Nashville I came up with on a few quick searches.

Mapachi
02-20-2009, 08:58 AM
That's an amazing accomplishment! I got 22 caches in one day last July and I haven't been able to top it yet! I think I do to much stumbling!

Sudonim
02-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Exactly - like I said, it takes a lot of dedication. I think it could even be done here in Maine in a few areas if the person didn't have many or any finds in that area. For example, there are about 150 active caches in a 5 mile radius of Lewiston. Not far off from the approximate 175-225 per 5 mile radius in Nashville I came up with on a few quick searches.

Yeah, but Nashville doesn't have Gobbler with his 'trick' hides to deal with.

brdad
02-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah, but Nashville doesn't have Gobbler with his 'trick' hides to deal with.

True. There are many more people there interested in the numbers than are here.

Mainiac1957
02-20-2009, 11:01 PM
I need to start thinking about PQ's for Nashville soon. It will be here before I know it.;)

dubord207
02-21-2009, 07:31 PM
True. There are many more people there interested in the numbers than are here.

Not sure what you mean here. Are you suggesting that being "interested in numbers" is a bad thing? Lots of us, including you, love the stats., ours, theirs, all stats. Can we just be proud of gob-ler's 100 plus day without trying to qualify the effort with "what ifs" and how could it have been more impressive? Is there a more "purist" way to do this many caches in one day?

I've said it before, if somebody starts a thread about another cachers accomplishments ( like I did sincerely here), why not just embrace the moment? If it doesn't seem like a big deal, then just move along quietly. I'm impressed with your computer wizardry, ability to create statistical data bases and the 2000 plus posts you have here....but I'll never post anything suggesting or even hinting that another's cacher's accomplishments are more or less impressive then yours,mine, or anybody else that posts here.

brdad
02-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Not sure what you mean here. Are you suggesting that being "interested in numbers" is a bad thing? Lots of us, including you, love the stats., ours, theirs, all stats. Can we just be proud of gob-ler's 100 plus day without trying to qualify the effort with "what ifs" and how could it have been more impressive? Is there a more "purist" way to do this many caches in one day?

I've said it before, if somebody starts a thread about another cachers accomplishments ( like I did sincerely here), why not just embrace the moment? If it doesn't seem like a big deal, then just move along quietly. I'm impressed with your computer wizardry, ability to create statistical data bases and the 2000 plus posts you have here....but I'll never post anything suggesting or even hinting that another's cacher's accomplishments are more or less impressive then yours,mine, or anybody else that posts here.

I was not suggesting it is a bad or a good thing - I was merely suggesting that a higher percentage of cachers from one area favor the numbers over other areas. Just like some areas favor puzzle caches or multis or nanos. If a person were to attempt doing 100 or more caches in a day, it would probably be easier for them to cache in a area dense in caches which are hidden "for the numbers". In the statement you quoted, I was agreeing with Sudonim that it would be much harder to find a large number in a day if those caches included some of Gob-lers hides, which can be tough.

I only veered from the original topic because I was asked if I knew any stats concerning the number of finds in a day. I made it clear in my post it was not an attempt to discredit Gob-ler and then explained why I could not produce any valid facts about any others who I have heard claimed high daily numbers. Not for a minute do I think Gob-ler made this accomplishment in any manner that I or anyone else would dispute. If he or anyone else took it the wrong way I am sorry.

If you search through my posts, you'll see I don't compare individual accomplishments either. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I have mentioned many times how 20 finds for one person may be as tough as 2 for the next. None of us approach a cache the same way. Some cachers are short of breath walking 100 feet to a cache in 5 minutes - Others can jog to 10 caches in a couple hours. I quite dislike comparing one cacher's numbers to any other cacher's numbers.

team moxiepup
02-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Congrats Gob-ler... you rock!!! We are so happy that you are enjoying all of the challenges you put in front of yourself.

We did 3 caches today and one was an Earthcache that required a boat but we snow-shoed to it today, that was our accomplishment for the day a D 1.5 T 5 cache on snow-shoes.:D

Again Congrats Gob-ler for your accomplishment!!!

NativeMainer
02-22-2009, 01:00 AM
I started thinking last night that I might give this challenge a try sometime this summer. There's a few clusters of caches in the Exeter - Epping - Newmarket area. It'd be a bit of haul and a challenge, but it looks doable.

I told my wife I'd like to try to do this. I don't think she was totally impressed.

Anyone like to team up?

EMSDanel
02-22-2009, 01:01 AM
I've read this thread with interest, sitting on my hands, trying to be good. But here goes. Gob-ler's day of caching was an accomplishment, truly. 15.5 hours with that many finds averages out to a find (and sign the log) every 8.5 minutes or so. And when he mentions rush hour traffic slowing things up you can assume the average time per cache was even much less. Now let's all face it...this was not quality caching... taking in the scenery, going to a mountain top, finding places we have never been before, etc. Baloney, this was purely a sprint (quick! run to the next one!) effort to run up the numbers and try for 100 in a day. Dick will tell you the same thing, it was no accident. That's why he went to where he did to do it. That day it was, unabashedly, all about the numbers, period.

Now when you look at Gob-ler's stats you will see his record full of easy finds, difficult finds, treks to the mountain tops, long treks across trail systems in other states and finds that many of us avoid. If he just did easy caches his numbers would be much lower. Now I do think Dick is obsessed (perhaps possessed) and perhaps needs addiction counseling ;-) but his proficiency with geocaching is laudable. His dedication to geocaching is unsurpassed and I tip my hat to a 100-find day. Congrats!

hollora
02-22-2009, 10:08 AM
I've read this thread with interest, sitting on my hands, trying to be good. But here goes. Gob-ler's day of caching was an accomplishment, truly. 15.5 hours with that many finds averages out to a find (and sign the log) every 8.5 minutes or so. And when he mentions rush hour traffic slowing things up you can assume the average time per cache was even much less. Now let's all face it...this was not quality caching... taking in the scenery, going to a mountain top, finding places we have never been before, etc. Baloney, this was purely a sprint (quick! run to the next one!) effort to run up the numbers and try for 100 in a day. Dick will tell you the same thing, it was no accident. That's why he went to where he did to do it. That day it was, unabashedly, all about the numbers, period.

Now when you look at Gob-ler's stats you will see his record full of easy finds, difficult finds, treks to the mountain tops, long treks across trail systems in other states and finds that many of us avoid. If he just did easy caches his numbers would be much lower. Now I do think Dick is obsessed (perhaps possessed) and perhaps needs addiction counseling ;-) but his proficiency with geocaching is laudable. His dedication to geocaching is unsurpassed and I tip my hat to a 100-find day. Congrats!

Exactly - thanks EMSDanel!:)

dubord207
02-24-2009, 09:56 AM
We may need to do a "caching intervention" on gob-ler. He went out again in the middle of the night again in Maryland and did 110 this time! I'd say he's got "5000 fever" and needs that milestone so he won't miss the Spring Turkey Hunt. Go Dick go, you caching fiend!:D

EMSDanel
02-24-2009, 05:48 PM
You know, they use methodone doses to wean off a person who is out of control with heroin. Do you suppose Gob-ler will have to find a few letter boxes if he ever tries to get his caching under control? :-))

pm28570
02-24-2009, 06:06 PM
He's the "King of FTF's". I just gotta know.....were any of them ftf's?:D

We may need to do a "caching intervention" on gob-ler. He went out again in the middle of the night again in Maryland and did 110 this time! I'd say he's got "5000 fever" and needs that milestone so he won't miss the Spring Turkey Hunt. Go Dick go, you caching fiend!:D

dubord207
02-24-2009, 06:20 PM
You can go on Geo.com and under Hide and seek Caches, write in "gob-ler" under caches "found by" and you'll see that while it was surely a numbers run, there were plenty of caches mixed in that were a lot more challenging then your standard PNG"s and GR's. I've had some good days, at least for me, where I've bagged 30 and more, but holy smokes, 100 plus? He's a caching fiend for sure but if your ever need a little technical assistance, he will take whatever time is needed to help out a total stranger (which I was the first time I called) and that's what makes him such an important player and resource to our sport.:)

Ekidokai
02-24-2009, 08:49 PM
OMG! He is a machine.