View Full Version : Eustis Event 2009

dubord207
02-22-2009, 08:18 PM
May I be so bold as to start a "new" thread for this year's event in Eustis? There's a lot of posts about how much fun we had last year and I bet there will be twice as many attendees this year so let's start anew on the planning!

Di and I have 2 labs and think the group site would put them both on "overload" so when does the campground start taking reservations for next year?

This was a great event and a magical place to be in the Fall. We will schedule ourselves around this event so we can take it all in this year! You all should too!:)

kayaking loon
02-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks, Dan. We needed a new thread for this one. To start over, the event will be September 25 and 26th. I have reserved the two group campsites (across the road from the main campground) for both nights so the camping is free to you. I have no idea how many will come this year but last year the campers only took up a tiny corner of site # 2. No one used site # 1 at all. There are fire rings, outhouses, picnic tables, but you get the use of all the facilities across the street: hot showers, playground, beach, etc. I pay for the group sites which is why those who use them get free camping. If you want a site in the main campground, call 246-3491, leave a message with your telephone number and they will call you back, sometime. :) You need to pay for those yourself. A few people reserved sites right after last years event, which was why I really didn't want to change weekends. There are four restaurants, four motels, a couple of B&Bs for those who don't want to camp. It might be good to make motel reservations early because Stratton-Eustis is booming with the TransCanada wind power project.

To answer the question about campsites way out in the woods, I can try to tell people where they are but unless you know the area well it might not be helpful. They are on a first come first serve basis anyway. But if you want more details, PM me.

Last year some people came on Thursday to get started with the caching. Friday is just arrival day for most, a campfire in the group site. Saturday kicks off at the Community Building with breakfast by Team Richards. Some new caches will be published that AM. People dash off to cache, kayak, hike, mountain bike, whatever. We have a potluck dinner at 5:00 followed by door prizes. The building will be open all day with a TB table, some things for children to play with, hot coffee and cocoa, snacks, restrooms. It's informal but it worked well last year. More later....

fins2right
02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
I am already looking forward to the 2009 event. We had so much fun last year. We will probably reserve a site in the campground. Last year they put us right next to the main playground area, which was great for the kids. In fact, we liked the campground so much we are planning to go up in July for a few days of caching in Canada. Now, to get those silly passport cards.... Does anyone know if kids need them to cross as well?

hollora
02-23-2009, 02:59 PM
The answer to your question is yes, children (traveling by car) need a Passport card.

Here are some references:

Bottom line: As of June 1, 2009, everyone from every country that comes to Canada by air, land and sea needs a passport or equivalent travel document (http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatravelplanner/qt/valid_travel_ID.htm). Before June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens do not necessarily need a passport entering Canada by land or sea (http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatravelplanner/qt/drive_border.htm), but need valid ID that proves identity and citizenship.

U.S. citizens ages 18 and under traveling in school groups or other organizations will still be able to enter the U.S. with proof of citizenship alone. Individual children traveling with parents however will require a passport or other secure ID. Not that these two make any sense to me but that is what is in print.

It was our experience last year going into Canada was not the problem but coming back into the US - they scrutionized everything very carefully. It is worth the trip, however, and a great experience.

WhereRWe?
02-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Now, to get those silly passport cards.... Does anyone know if kids need them to cross as well?

Hollora answered the question, but from what I've heard, the federal identity cards are quick and easy - and a lot cheaper than a passport. Here's a good link (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html) that explains it.

Team Richards
02-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Hollora answered the question, but from what I've heard, the federal identity cards are quick and easy - and a lot cheaper than a passport. Here's a good link (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html) that explains it.

They are cheaper and we signed up for them for them last February boys for the Mega event in Quebec that was in August. They came two weeks after the event. I'm sure they have the bugs worked out and it is a lot quicker now but I wouldn't put it off. We didn't have to have them last year birth certificates worked that isn't the case now.

Team2hunt
02-25-2009, 08:30 AM
I'll be there and I can't wait. Last year was just too much fun. I'll bring my " Mary" outfit for around the campfire, and my chainsaw, just in case. No need to wash the the Team Tahoe as I know we will get into some of your lovely mud during the weekend. Probably going to stay in the campground again this year as we now know which site to pick. And the potluck........Mmmmmm. Hopefully those who made all of those delicious eats will be there again this year. :p

Coming up early and staying late. :)

Dave will you be bringing the tandem? :cool::cool:

Mainiac1957
02-25-2009, 04:44 PM
I will be in attendance with a much more capable off road vehicle. Hope there are some new out in the woods caches for me to go find.

hollora
02-25-2009, 10:28 PM
I will be in attendance with a much more capable off road vehicle. Hope there are some new out in the woods caches for me to go find.

You won't be able to compete with Mary - she is one crazyyyy lady in a Jeep! :D:eek::eek::D But it sure was fun! :) Haven't laughed that hard in ages ~ :):) Oh the memories!

I can't wait!

Ekidokai
02-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Well, since everyone seems to have had such a good time and are anticipating having even more fun I might have to make plans to attend.

I have one question though. I'm kind of a special needs case. Is there power available? I use a CPAP machine so I can breath while sleeping.

kayaking loon
02-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Well, since everyone seems to have had such a good time and are anticipating having even more fun I might have to make plans to attend.

I have one question though. I'm kind of a special needs case. Is there power available? I use a CPAP machine so I can breath while sleeping.

No power in the group areas but you can reserve a site with power at the main campground. A lot of the cachers get their own sites there so you will be among friends.

fins2right
03-01-2009, 04:29 PM
KL, any idea when the campground opens up to take reservation requests? :confused:

hollora
03-01-2009, 05:39 PM
KL posted this in an earlier post "If you want a site in the main campground, call 246-3491, leave a message with your telephone number and they will call you back, sometime." I know last year, that is what I did and they called me back.

Someone involved with reservations works at the school and around school schedule. They used to have a nice website too but I imagine it is gone because of cutting back.

Try leaving a message if you get and answering machine at the number.

dubord207
05-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Di and I just spent a wonderful weekend tenting out at Cathedral Pines. On our way out we booked site #15 for the September event. While there's a lot of sites in this campground we were told that weekend already has HALF the sites reserved so a call now would be a good idea. Di and I cached with her son, daughter in law and Cassie, age 4, and Dalton age 2 this past weekend. Having two youngsters along put a whole different perspective on caching. We enjoyed the natural beauty of the area and the youthful enthusiasm of Di's grandchildren!

This event is a "can't miss" gathering so hope you book it now!:)

Team Richards
05-25-2009, 05:25 PM
I reserved a site for my folks (Camper) a few weeks a go, and the lady I spoke to said they had been getting a few calls for sites.
Just a reminder that Jean and Stan (Kayaking loon) have rented both group sites again for this year. We had a great group of people on the group site last year, the second group site never got used at all, so there is room for more.

The group sites don't have power or running water. There is an outhouse.
The showers, beach and other amenities across the street at the main camp ground are available.

There was a fire both Friday and Saturday night at the group site I'm sure there will be again this year.

Hope to see you there.

hollora
05-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Not sure if I will even have my camper but - can you pull a camper into the group site? I will know more after the Camper Medic diagnoses my camper issues.

Gentlemen - thanks for the updates!

No question - camping and/or caching with kids changes perspectives. But Life is Good and we need to teach the youth.

Lots to do before September but hope to be there.

Team Richards
05-25-2009, 06:02 PM
can you pull a camper into the group site?

No, sorry, the group site is for tents only. I don't think they budge on that rule either.

hollora
05-25-2009, 08:33 PM
No, sorry, the group site is for tents only. I don't think they budge on that rule either.

That's ok. Just thought it was worth asking as - my camper is called a convertable and has tents LOL.........:) We were happy last year and need to get on the reservations thing. Thanks for the heads up. This is a must do event for me. :D

kayaking loon
06-02-2009, 01:20 PM

I checked with two people who work at the campground and they both said we can put camper trailers in the group sites across the street. There would be no hook-ups though. The two sites are BIG, and it would be nice to have more than the handful of cachers we had in them last year (although they were very nice cachers...)

pjpreb
06-02-2009, 01:29 PM
We booked site #13 for our camper. We're really looking forward to the event :)

hollora
06-02-2009, 02:19 PM
I checked with two people who work at the campground and they both said we can put camper trailers in the group sites across the street. There would be no hook-ups though. The two sites are BIG, and it would be nice to have more than the handful of cachers we had in them last year (although they were very nice cachers...)

Thank you for checking - may be an option - we will see what the whole family is going to be doing - it will play into the decision. I know sites go fairly fast.

Kaching Karen
06-03-2009, 06:18 AM
Bikes (downhill and road) and kayaks; don't forget the toys!:)

fins2right
09-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Should we list what kind of food we are bringing? If so, should we put it on here, or GC.com. I'm bringing Lasagna and garlic bread. I have site #9 reserved! Here's to No Hurricanes (tropical storms, tropical depressions, cold fronts, tornados, rain, mosquitos, ticks, snowstorms, microbursts, thunderstorms or anything else that will inhibite our weather!!:D:D)

hollora
09-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Should we list what kind of food we are bringing? If so, should we put it on here, or GC.com. I'm bringing Lasagna and garlic bread. I have site #9 reserved! Here's to No Hurricanes (tropical storms, tropical depressions, cold fronts, tornados, rain, mosquitos, ticks, snowstorms, microbursts, thunderstorms or anything else that will inhibite our weather!!:D:D)

The hostess, kayakingloon, is on vacation and may not have interenet access. Co-hosts - Team Richards, however, may be on here this week.

May I suggest it is probably fine to post it on here but it probably should be on the official geocaching site , GC.com, as not everyone who may go might see this thread here. JMHO

RyMastah
09-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Mom, Dad, Abnah and I are planning on attending, too! We had a lot of fun last year and love the Stratton/Eustice area (my gram and gramp met at school in Stratton [he's from Coburn Gore] and we still have family in the area--including some cachers!). So we're sure to have a great time!

benandtina
09-02-2009, 11:26 AM
We don't own any camping gear, so if we go it will only be for the day. Is it okay if we just plan to be there Saturday morning/afternoon? We have another commitment in Bangor Saturday evening. I assume it will be fine, but I just want to make sure :)

kayaking loon
09-06-2009, 07:13 PM
We don't own any camping gear, so if we go it will only be for the day. Is it okay if we just plan to be there Saturday morning/afternoon? We have another commitment in Bangor Saturday evening. I assume it will be fine, but I just want to make sure :)

Yes, that's fine. Several people last year only came for the day.

kayaking loon
09-06-2009, 07:14 PM

It would probably be best if you know what food you're bringing, to post it to the event cache. But anything works. If everybody brought what they did last year, that would be great too.

98XJSport
09-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Might have to make a day trip up its pretty much just up the road :D

kayaking loon
09-19-2009, 12:33 PM
I wish the event was today, the weather is perfect! I've been out hiding caches and having a wonderful time. The first cacher arrived today, lucky him. Remember Don who was camping at the Pines last year and stayed on for the event so he could learn how to geocache? He arrives today for what he calls "a week of serious caching". Maybe we should make this a week long event...?? The foliage is staring to appear, the lake is starting to disappear..now if the weather a week from now is as good as today...

Team Richards
09-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Doesn't look to bad to me.
(http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/04982?dayNum=5)

Thu (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/04982?dayNum=5)
Sep 24
http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/11.gif?12122006
Few Showers

52°
36°

30%

52°F

Fri (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/04982?dayNum=6)
Sep 25

http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/34.gif?12122006
Mostly Sunny

52°
38°

0%

52°F

Sat (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/04982?dayNum=7)
Sep 26

http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/34.gif?12122006
Mostly Sunny

57°
37°

0%

57°F

Sun (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/04982?dayNum=8)
Sep 27

http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/11.gif?12122006
Few Showers

56°
39°

30%

pm28570
09-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Brad....can you do your thing?

I wish the event was today, the weather is perfect! (deleted).....now if the weather a week from now is as good as today...

Trick or Treat
09-19-2009, 05:35 PM
The 50s look okay, but those 30s are another thing! I wasn't planning on bringing Gracie the Wonderdog, but I might just bring her for warmth.

dubord207
09-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Last year, Di and I opted to leave the half-ton of camping gear and the truck and stay at the camp in Carrabassett Valley because it was pouring when we arrived in town.

This year we in our tent no matter what Mother Nature concocts for the weekend. I'm posting this from Vermont where the weather is glorious, life is good and we're about to embark on a culinary feast at the Inn at Weathersfield, the main reason we're over here!

My truck is almost packed for Eustis. Can't wait. Nick and Bo are at doggie camp this weekend, but they have been told about Eustis and they're ready too!

So do I load the Yamaha Electric 88 and an amp too?:)

fins2right
09-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Stocked and ready to go. Ran tests on the heater while scraping shingles off the roof. The menu is prepared and we are ready!!!

WhereRWe?
09-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Stocked and ready to go.

What kind of beer are you bringing? (Since RULost2? has to work at least one day this weekend, we won't be able to camp. But we should be able to evaluate the facilities of other GCM.org members! LOL! ) :p:p

pm28570
09-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Looking at Gritty's Halloween Ale.

What kind of beer are you bringing?

Francis Family
09-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Eustis here we come... weather be darned!!!

squirrelcache
09-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Thinking of making a dish using a special Ale from this year's vacation down near Atlantic Brewing Company. Hmmmm......Blueberry Ale & ?

attroll
09-19-2009, 09:50 PM
If I do not have to work I will be there and sleeping in my hammock. I will keep my fingers crosses and hope I don't have to work.

Trick or Treat
09-19-2009, 09:56 PM

Rock band at the campsite? I am so in!

squirrelcache
09-20-2009, 12:44 AM
Rock band at the campsite? I am so in!

Rockband!? .......oh no....I told the kids we're leaving the Playstation at home. ;)

I was thinking of my Apache spirit flute.....serenade the Loons now that their nesting is done for the season. :D

squirrelcache
09-20-2009, 12:46 AM

I thought we were holding the event at a campground in the serene natural setting of the Great Northwestern Maine woods........not OOB!! ;)

fins2right
09-20-2009, 12:17 PM
What kind of beer are you bringing? (Since RULost2? has to work at least one day this weekend, we won't be able to camp. But we should be able to evaluate the facilities of other GCM.org members! LOL! ) :p:p

I've been putting thought into that. I started out by pricing some summer beers, but it's been colder so now I'm thinking of Blue Moon, maybe Pumkinhead. It's up in the air. Any suggestions? :D

dubord207
09-20-2009, 04:19 PM
I can imitate George Winston if you like "serene" music...But alas, with all the camping stuff we're bringing there's no room for pianos. I serenade the loons here on 3 Mile Pond all the time. They seem to like Moody Blues and Mozart.:)

I thought we were holding the event at a campground in the serene natural setting of the Great Northwestern Maine woods........not OOB!! ;)

squirrelcache
09-20-2009, 04:30 PM
lol.....oh yes......forgot you have loons for seasonal neighbors......very cool. Oh come on Dan......you must have other instruments in your skills list!? I don't care if you guys party it up....I have insulated walls and mp3 sleepmusic :D If the kids don't like the music selection they'll just turn up the surround sound. Although they really love 80's music, so if you play that...you'll be too cool in their book.

tat
09-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Tread Lightly had Bob Marley :)

squirrelcache
09-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Hmmm........w/a proper invite.....I'll bet we could get Johnny_Cache up here ;)

WhereRWe?
09-20-2009, 06:24 PM
I've been putting thought into that. I started out by pricing some summer beers, but it's been colder so now I'm thinking of Blue Moon, maybe Pumkinhead. It's up in the air. Any suggestions? :D

Sheesh! Anything from Maine! (I haven't tried "Upta Camp" beer yet... :D:D

pjpreb
09-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Looking forward to the event. We better pack Chip's hoodie!

pm28570
09-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Gonna try and tell me Nick backs you up on tambourine?

Haffy
09-20-2009, 07:43 PM

Can't buy it here....http://www.bmarley.com/product_detail.php?pid=77

firefighterjake
09-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Tread Lightly had Bob Marley :)

Reggae or the Maine comedian . . . in either case I somehow missed out on hearing that . . . must have been when I was away for the day.

tat
09-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Reggae or the Maine comedian . . . in either case I somehow missed out on hearing that . . . must have been when I was away for the day.

Well, ok, he was really upta Brownville on Friday night, but I'm sure he would have come to TL2009 if we'd invited him. :)

kayaking loon
09-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Rockband!? .......oh no....I told the kids we're leaving the Playstation at home. ;)

I was thinking of my Apache spirit flute.....serenade the Loons now that their nesting is done for the season. :D

I like spirit flutes and the loons do too! Quiet hours at the campground start at 10:00 PM. But the loons always like it quiet...

Kaching Karen
09-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Jon and I will be getting to Eustis around 2:00 on Saturday. Are there any group things going on? I probably won't be able to mountain bike on Saturday afternoon (sore legs from a Friday road race and Saturday tri), but Jon is a good biker. Is anything planned? If there is a group planning on mountain biking on Saturday afternoon, Jon is a strong biker.

brdad
09-21-2009, 05:04 PM
We are considering going to NH this weekend and possibly stopping by Eustis on the way by. Is there a time of day when people will most likely be around? I can't tell from the event page if there is any structured festivities besides breakfast and dinner when people will be gathered....

tat
09-21-2009, 06:22 PM
I don't know if there are many mtn bikers, but I'll have mine and my legs should be recovered by then. I'd love to go back to get the Flagstaff hut caches I dnf'd last winter.

eebee
09-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Does anyone know if there is internet/wi-fi available anywhere that we could use if we needed to?

Team Richards
09-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Does anyone know if there is internet/wi-fi available anywhere that we could use if we needed to?

I think think library has wifi. The camp ground has it if you sit right by the office.

squirrelcache
09-21-2009, 07:29 PM
I believe there's wifi near the camp office. Does anyone know where the schedule of events is.....or the food sign-up? I don't have a clue what goes on at this event except great seats and cheap tickets to the Dynamic Dubord fireside concert ;)

Hollora knows quite a bit about the camp....contact her back channel her. She's hiding off-forum to keep the peace around here, for those that can't behave themselves. ;)

Team Richards
09-21-2009, 07:30 PM
We are considering going to NH this weekend and possibly stopping by Eustis on the way by. Is there a time of day when people will most likely be around? I can't tell from the event page if there is any structured festivities besides breakfast and dinner when people will be gathered....

Last year everyone kind of did their own thing during the day. Some hiked, some kayaked, some biked or four wheeled up East Kennebago MT. But we all got to gether for Breakfast, dinner and a bunch off us for a camp fire at the group site Friday and Saturday night. The hall is open all day for people to stop by.

Team Richards
09-21-2009, 07:46 PM
I believe there's wifi near the camp office. Does anyone know where the schedule of events is.....or the food sign-up? I don't have a clue what goes on at this event except great seats and cheap tickets to the Dynamic Dubord fireside concert ;)

Hollora knows quite a bit about the camp....contact her back channel her. She's hiding off-forum to keep the peace around here, for those that can't behave themselves. ;)
If you want to post on the event page for what you are bringing that would be good.

Other than Breakfast and Dinner (door prizes after dinner) i don't think there are any "scheduled " events. there are a lot of caches all over that can be reached by just about every mode of transportation. I'm bringing up 4 kayaks (one tandem). If anyone wants to use them, just ask.
There are caches to hike, bike, drive, boat, 4 wheel too. Long hikes, short hike long drive and short drives. there are even a few PNG's with good views.

I'm not sure what you want to know about the campground. The group sites (2 of them) are across the street from the main camp ground . They have no power, or running water, The out house was clean, (well as clean as you can get an outhouse) last time I was there. The main camp group has showers and a swimming area, play ground, boat launch. there is a boat ramp closer to town if you need that.

Although it may take up most of the day if anyone wanted to you can drive up to Canada and do a loop around lake Megantic. make sure to bring your prober ID's.

The trip around Flagstaff lake is a nice drive again pack a lunch and plan on most of the day.

I'll bring up some fire wood.

Anything else...

fins2right
09-21-2009, 08:16 PM
I hear something about being able to 4X4 up a mountain for caches. Can anyone enlighten me :confused: That sounds like a darned good time.

fins2right
09-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Although it may take up most of the day if anyone wanted to you can drive up to Canada and do a loop around lake Megantic. make sure to bring your prober ID's.

We did the Lac' Meguntic trip this summer. It took us around 4 to 5 hours. The views were nice and there were some neat caches. Somehow I had a harder time getting into Canada than the U.S. It might have had to do with the fact that I had hit a few larger puddles the night before and the truck looked like something out of Alabama Heaven. The exchange rate was almost 1 for 1, which shocked me a little. The terrain is very different than the Eustis area, but the views of the mountains were fantastic.

Team Richards
09-21-2009, 08:23 PM
I hear something about being able to 4X4 up a mountain for caches. Can anyone enlighten me :confused: That sounds like a darned good time.
There are several caches on East Kenebago Mt the first is GC1EBNE. You can drive to the top. The Mt isn't high enough to be above tree line but the ride is fun.

The road is off Rt 16 not to far out of sStratton head toward Rangeley.

hollora
09-21-2009, 08:29 PM
I think think library has wifi. The camp ground has it if you sit right by the office.

Yes, the library had wifi last year...:)...we walked over from the Community Building.

hollora
09-21-2009, 08:31 PM
There are several caches on East Kenebago Mt the first is GC1EBNE. You can drive to the top. The Mt isn't high enough to be above tree line but the ride is fun.

The road is off Rt 16 not to far out of sStratton head toward Rangeley.

Worth the ride to get the caches and there were bikes ;), Jeeps ;) and Toyotas ;) last year.:) Maybe even other conveyances....

eebee
09-21-2009, 09:16 PM

Great! Nice to know it's there in case we need it. I'm really looking forward to this weekend. So much so that I think I'm going to drive there on Thursday so that I have a full day Friday and Saturday. Is the group site available Thursday night, too, or should I talk to someone at the campground?

Team Richards
09-22-2009, 05:28 AM
Great! Nice to know it's there in case we need it. I'm really looking forward to this weekend. So much so that I think I'm going to drive there on Thursday so that I have a full day Friday and Saturday. Is the group site available Thursday night, too, or should I talk to someone at the campground?
Jean has teh group site(s) for Friday and Saturday. although I went up Thursday last year and they let me set up on the group site.

WhereRWe?
09-22-2009, 07:08 AM
Somehow I had a harder time getting into Canada than the U.S. It might have had to do with the fact that I had hit a few larger puddles the night before and the truck looked like something out of Alabama Heaven.

This border crossing into Canada is where RULost2? and I got the "full monty". They searched the entire car, even had me empty my pockets. Not sure what the problem was - we've crossed into Canada many times and never had a problem before, and this was probably the least problematic crossing.
:confused::confused:

But having said that, doing the "Megantic loop" is great - worth the time. Even give you a chance to have some poutine! LOL! :D:D

kayaking loon
09-22-2009, 11:43 AM

Just a reminder that there will be NO alcohol at the Community Building. But you can drink all you want at the campground. Unless you get drunk and rowdy and security throws you out ....:)

Ekidokai
09-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Just a reminder that there will be NO alcohol at the Community Building. But you can drink all you want at the campground. Unless you get drunk and rowdy and security throws you out ....:)

And kicks you in the throat.

Sudonim
09-22-2009, 12:20 PM

You can have the rest of mine! I got a 6 pack to try, didn't care for it. (And if I remember right, it's a Shipyard product, which I usually like)

dubord207
09-22-2009, 04:41 PM
My Lab Nick will drink it. He'll drink anything except Colt 45. We think he might have had a bad experience with malt beverage when he was a pup. Got all wound up on Colt and tried to join a pack of coyotes for a night of howling!:)

You can have the rest of mine! I got a 6 pack to try, didn't care for it. (And if I remember right, it's a Shipyard product, which I usually like)

Waterski
09-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Did someone post that there were staying nearby at a motel? We wondered if there was one close by that non campers were using? I have checked on a couple but know nothing about how close they are to the campground, or even if they have room. Our kids have our sleeping bags and gear spread all around their different houses.

amandalt
09-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Hey there,

I'm hoping to attend the event on Saturday and I am traveling from Portland. Is anyone driving from Southern Maine? I can meet you within 30 miles or so if you are traveling from somewhere nearby. I am flexible about when I can leave/how long I can stay, but ideally you are leaving Friday evening sometime. I can split fuel costs, etc.! Let me know if you think you can help me out, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks a bunch :)

kayaking loon
09-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Did someone post that there were staying nearby at a motel? We wondered if there was one close by that non campers were using? I have checked on a couple but know nothing about how close they are to the campground, or even if they have room. Our kids have our sleeping bags and gear spread all around their different houses.

Lots of motels but the Spillover seems to be "the cachers choice", 246-6571. It's close to the Community Building and only about a 5-10 minute drive to the campground. If they're full, e-mail me for more choices.

kayaking loon
09-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Tonight it's nearly 70 degrees here in Eustis, just a few clouds and a crescent moon hanging in the western sky. Saw 3 moose yesterday, one by the road. Then we met a cow moose on our road, stayed a distance behind her so we wouldn't spook her into the traffic (what little there is) on Route 27. And then a bull moose came galloping down to meet her. He ran off, she followed for a bit, then ran back towards us. Finally they both disappeared into the woods to do "moosey" things. It is the rut, you know! And there's a large eagle hanging around near the bridge, brown. How do you tell if it's an immature bald eagle or a golden eagle? Yes, I know, golden eagles are rare....Wish you were here....

kayakerinme
09-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Hey there,

I'm hoping to attend the event on Saturday and I am traveling from Portland. Is anyone driving from Southern Maine? I can meet you within 30 miles or so if you are traveling from somewhere nearby. I am flexible about when I can leave/how long I can stay, but ideally you are leaving Friday evening sometime. I can split fuel costs, etc.! Let me know if you think you can help me out, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks a bunch :)
I'm headed up from Portland but it's just a day trip (a long day :)) trip for me I'm afraid. Early morning departure and late evening arrival back to Portland area. Ding me if you're interested.

dubord207
09-22-2009, 08:37 PM
I've had a strange week. Maybe I'm in rut too! My neck is all swelled up and while we were putting the kayaks on the rack today I felt the urge to rub my head on the kayak rack. And to top it off, I was in court today with a young lawyer and I felt an irresistable urge to pee on his brief case! Hope I'll get over this by the time I head north!:)

Tonight it's nearly 70 degrees here in Eustis, just a few clouds and a crescent moon hanging in the western sky. Saw 3 moose yesterday, one by the road. Then we met a cow moose on our road, stayed a distance behind her so we wouldn't spook her into the traffic (what little there is) on Route 27. And then a bull moose came galloping down to meet her. He ran off, she followed for a bit, then ran back towards us. Finally they both disappeared into the woods to do "moosey" things. It is the rut, you know! And there's a large eagle hanging around near the bridge, brown. How do you tell if it's an immature bald eagle or a golden eagle? Yes, I know, golden eagles are rare....Wish you were here....

hollora
09-22-2009, 09:31 PM

Ah, Jean - those be questions you can ask the NA guide who will be accompanying us on our trek up your way. We are so ready to be in Moose country and enjoy their land up your way.

hollora
09-22-2009, 09:34 PM
I've had a strange week. Maybe I'm in rut too! My neck is all swelled up and while we were putting the kayaks on the rack today I felt the urge to rub my head on the kayak rack. And to top it off, I was in court today with a young lawyer and I felt an irresistable urge to pee on his brief case! Hope I'll get over this by the time I head north!:)

Now - we are a few sites away = good! PM will have to be the one who endures..........and you wanted to what in a brief case.......don't lawyers deliver briefs or do they wear them LOL - OMG did I say that??? I am sure dubord by the time you cross some line headed north you will be fine........I know I will be :) Even if I have Old Timers!

Waterski
09-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks K.L. for the answer to my question. Is anyone bringing a four wheeler or would it be a good idea to bring ours? We are new to the area and don't know all these answers. Thanks.

dubord207
09-23-2009, 06:32 AM
I don't think anybody brought any last year, but the Eustis/Stratton area has some beautiful trails. You'll see a lot of ATV's about, some that will be moose hunting. But having a 4 wheeler will cut into your caching time!

Thanks K.L. for the answer to my question. Is anyone bringing a four wheeler or would it be a good idea to bring ours? We are new to the area and don't know all these answers. Thanks.

pm28570
09-23-2009, 08:10 AM
There isn't enough bandwidth for what I could write. Besides, I've been hounding on Nick enough the past few.
I've received my ACME Beer Drinking Dog Repeller Kit yesterday. Later, I'll review some Wile E Coyote game tapes. Should be fine thru Sunday morning. :)

Now - we are a few sites away = good! PM will have to be the one who endures..........

sarahinmaine
09-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Am recruiting new cachers to join in the fun this weekend! We'll be staying at the group site. Looking forward to it!

Mapachi
09-23-2009, 10:21 AM
NORTH WOODS HI-COO

Got my Shotgun, got my fangs, i even got my spruce gum.
Got my Scooby Doo shorts, Yoda, and Ogi Doogi Pudder My pet Pig!
Am I ready for Eustis?
OH YES!

(I don't even drink!)

TRF
09-23-2009, 11:42 AM
... I was in court today with a young lawyer and I felt an irresistable urge to pee on his brief case! Hope I'll get over this by the time I head north!:)

I don't think is The Rut as I always want to pee on lawyers briefcases. :p

robt
09-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Hey there,

At this point my thought is to leave friday evening from brunswick area and coming back on saturday.

fins2right
09-23-2009, 02:07 PM
And to top it off, I was in court today with a young lawyer and I felt an irresistable urge to pee on his brief case! :)

You would not believe how many times I've felt that way. Sometimes the defense, sometimes the D.A. :D:D:D

Don't worry Jean, my idea of heavy drinking is about 2 beers. :)

Up the mountain I go. T-minus 3 days and counting!

robt
09-23-2009, 07:24 PM
At this point my thought is to leave friday evening from brunswick area and coming back on saturday.

Sorry I meant returning Sunday

vicbiker
09-23-2009, 07:39 PM
I have three kayaks, one bike, and all my camping gear loaded in the truck...over the hill and through the woods to Eustis I will go...hopfuly in the morning. If anyone needs the use of a kayak please just ask, that's what they're for and I have one extra PDL and one extra paddle. One of the kayaks is a tandem and is very stable.

Mainiac1957
09-23-2009, 07:49 PM
I will be up there at the crack of early on Friday. If you plan to paddle on Friday I would love to take you up on the offer.

dubord207
09-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Di and I are bringing our kayaks, the single versions, not the tandem that Di alway dumps me out of! We're game for a Friday paddle although it might be a bit on the breezy side.

vicbiker
09-23-2009, 09:58 PM
I have one extra PDL
What is a PDL????????? I think I meant a PFD, you know something to keep you from drowning.

attroll
09-24-2009, 09:43 AM
I have a question. What does this event referr to Eustis when it is actually hosted in Stratton? The address for the campground also say Eustis. I am confused.

brdad
09-24-2009, 10:44 AM
What is a PDL????????? I think I meant a PFD, you know something to keep you from drowning.

I questioned that, too, but once I looked it up and it appeared that PDL most likely stood for Preferred Drug List, I figured I'd stay out of it!

brdad
09-24-2009, 10:59 AM
I have a question. What does this event referr to Eustis when it is actually hosted in Stratton? The address for the campground also say Eustis. I am confused.

My best guess is that Stratton is a populated area within the civil division of Eustis. Of course, there is the town of Eustis as well. Or something like that. If you look at on the Gazetteer you'll see what I am getting at.

Team Richards
09-24-2009, 11:32 AM
My best guess is that Stratton is a populated area within the civil division of Eustis. Of course, there is the town of Eustis as well. Or something like that. If you look at on the Gazetteer you'll see what I am getting at.
Your right Stratton is a village in Eustis.

attroll
09-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Your right Stratton is a village in Eustis.Or is Eustis a village in Stratton?

Anyways, I am packing up now and will be there by dinner time tonight. I hope someone has something good cooking when I get there.

fins2right
09-24-2009, 12:40 PM

I asked that last year. The way I understand it is that they are two villages located in the same township. Sort of like the areas of Hinkley and Shawmut in Fairfield. They have post offices, and you can list it as an address, but they are part of the town of Fairfield.

tat
09-24-2009, 12:42 PM
You could just call it T1R4 like they used to. :)

brdad
09-24-2009, 06:33 PM
We are still hoping to make it for breakfast. Is there anything we should bring?

Haffy
09-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Not to get off topic but I hope there are many photographers there to share with all of us who can't make it.

kayaking loon
09-25-2009, 06:58 AM

There is a "village of Stratton" in the town of Eustis. That used to confuse me too but I got over it. I think many years ago the populated area was Eustis village, then that burned or something and the stores etc. sprung up in Stratton....

Anyone remember a few years ago when a writer for Down East Magazine said "Stratton and Eustis are two bumps in the same road, with a paper mill spewing out pollution"??? Of course, we don't have a paper mill.... Don't you just love reporters?;)

brdad
09-26-2009, 07:48 AM
Sadly enough, Lee and I are both under the weather and have to cancel our trip to Eustis and NH. Hope everyone has fun!

fins2right
09-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Not to get off topic but I hope there are many photographers there to share with all of us who can't make it.
I picked up a camera this week. I'll post pictures, I just cannot tell you how they will come out :D

attroll
09-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Wow, I am starting to wonder how many people we can fit in the hall at this event.

WhereRWe?
09-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Wow, I am starting to wonder how many people we can fit in the hall at this event.

LOL! I left the hall about 1:30, and after 3 pages of sign-ups, there were STILL people signing in! Almost as crowded as a WWWWWW event! :D:D

attroll
09-26-2009, 09:57 PM
I was only referring to the 5:30 pot luck at the time. I think every seat in the hall was full and then some. I believe this event had a lot more attendees then the WWWWW event.

Haffy
09-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Hope everyone gets lots of pics to share.

dubord207
09-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Di and I packed up all the camping gear early this morning as I heard the pitter-patter of rain drops and packing up tents and gear in the rain is not my idea of a good time.

But what a GREAT event and time we had.

First, thanks to Jean and Stan for the huge effort. All of their caches take folks to beautiful and interesting spot, the coords are always on the money and the caches properly labled and stocked. The foliage has to be very close to peak so those who couldn't attend ought to plan a trip to the area soon. Di and I commented on the pristiine beauty of the area about 50 times a day.

And a couple of dozen oif the windmills are up and the Mariah cache gives you a great view of them.

The Saturday meal was fantastic and my ribs didn't last long! Met a bunch of cachers for the first time and oif course a lot are now friends and it's nice seeing everybody having such a great time!

So when will it be next year? Di and I plan on coming up for a week next year. Can't get enough of the hospitality at Cathedral Pines and the beauty of our western mountains.

Thanks again Jean and Stan. Very well done!:)

kayaking loon
09-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Yes, we'll do it again in 2010! I have already reserved both group sites for September 23, 24 and 25th (Thursday, Friday and Saturday). That may conflict again with the Common Ground Fair but those days seemed like the best choices. See you all then, or before! Thanks for coming, it was fun.

fins2right
09-27-2009, 01:35 PM
An amazing weekend! We would not have had a better day then yesterday. Sun, no clouds at all, the glory of fall leaves and to top it off, a great meal with great people. Met new faces and said "hi" to the hard core event cachers :D The mighty Dakota made it to the top of Kennebago with no problems. Why don't I live like this every weekend?

We've already booked a week in August for what is becoming an annual trip for the Frost Family and we will be back next September.

Many kudo's for those who survived the night Friday in tents. My thermometer read 28 degrees at 3:0) a.m. (When my 6 year old woke me up to go to the bathroom:mad::)) and we went through most of a tank of propane keeping the pop-up warm. That's real camping. Of course, I've grown soft. :):)

kayaking loon
09-27-2009, 01:48 PM
At the event, Skishop gave me a Sugarloaf geocoin. Seems he convinced them to do a coin and sell it. It's beautiful and you can buy it at the 'Loaf. I'll be buying one or two for next years event. Thanks, Skishop! (and sarahinmaine)!

hide_from_the_kids
09-27-2009, 01:49 PM
At the event, Skishop gave me a Sugarloaf geocoin. Seems he convinced them to do a coin and sell it. It's beautiful and you can buy it at the 'Loaf. I'll be buying one or two for next years event. Thanks, Skishop! (and sarahinmaine)!
do you think there would be a way to buy one if you don't go to sugarloaf?

pjpreb
09-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Count us in for next year! We had the bestest time! The night cache was a great addition to all the wonderful local caches. We saw one moose but he was horizontal on a flatbed trailer. Hopefully we will see a vertical, mobile moose next year :p:D:)

attroll
09-27-2009, 03:28 PM
I posted some of my pictures here www.attroll.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=524 (http://www.attroll.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=524)

pm28570
09-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Well, it was an absolutely awesome weekend to get away, get some caching in and enjoy the region. So nice to catch up with friends, meet new friends and enjoy the atmosphere of the event. This, in it's 2nd appearance, has becomes Maine's Mini-Mega Event! I can't imagine what next year will bring.

For our co-hosts, Kayaking Loon and Team Richards, well done. Jean, Stan thank you so much for your hospitality. David, thank you for your efforts and the assistance your entire family gave. It all is greatly appreciated.

See you next year!

hollora
09-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Echoing the words and feelings of many others - many thanks to Jean, Stan, Holly, Dave, Jacob and William for all their work on this event. This, to me, is the go to place for fall! This year the weather was a bit better and there was little which could have been done to improve things.

I believe Jean must have a plan as she has already set a date. Te hosting crew knows they have helpers if needed. Now, can we start a recipe thread on here?

These pot lucks and events just have such great food. I know I have shared recipes and others have too - but what about a recipe thread?

Again - thanks to the hosts and hostesses. I am looking forward to photos being posted on GC.com too.

skishop
09-28-2009, 07:33 AM
do you think there would be a way to buy one if you don't go to sugarloaf?

Howdy hide_from_the_kids. You sure can get one. I posted about it in the geocoin discussion forum. Here is the link. Thanks for asking.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4222

EMSDanel
09-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Just one more note of thanks for such a terrific geoevent. And it's another example of why we all think so much of Jean & Stan, Dave & Holly. I know it's a lot of work, but it shows in the quality of the event. Kudos!

attroll
09-28-2009, 09:07 AM
I sure hope I am back from my hike next year to attend this one in 2010. This was a terrific event and one that I will never forget. Thank you to all who put this on and spent some time with me during this weekend. I have not been caching in a long time and this reminded me of all the fun I have been missing out on.

kayaking loon
09-28-2009, 09:45 AM
I sure hope I am back from my hike next year to attend this one in 2010. This was a terrific event and one that I will never forget. Thank you to all who put this on and spent some time with me during this weekend. I have not been caching in a long time and this reminded me of all the fun I have been missing out on.

Call if you're anywhere near here and we'll pick you up and bring you to the event. But you should be through the hike by then, it's near snow time for Katahdin and the Bigelows! But if you're late, hop on up to Katahdin and then hike south to the event. Should be some good campfire stories in that...

attroll
09-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Call if you're anywhere near here and we'll pick you up and bring you to the event. But you should be through the hike by then, it's near snow time for Katahdin and the Bigelows! But if you're late, hop on up to Katahdin and then hike south to the event. Should be some good campfire stories in that...
Yes I definitely hope to be done my hike by then. I would like to be done by the first week of September but I will get done when I get done. This is a once in a lifetime trip for me so I am going to take it easy and enjoy it.

Maybe if I get back in time and get all my pictures together I can put on a slide show at the hall at night next year.

kayaking loon
09-28-2009, 11:30 AM
I had a "most innovative cache comtainer" competition at the Useless event this year. I didn't know if anyone was bringing anything so it wasn't very well thought out. There was a sheet and the caches listed on it are:

1. Driftwood
2. Hole in Log
3. Tree (and beside that is written LPC-Pine lamp post. Was that another cache or another name for "Tree"?)
4. Miss G.O. Cache
5. Googly Eyes (I know that was by sarahinmaine)
6. Rusty Bolt (Mapachi?)
7. Large bolt/nut
8. Scull

So there were 8 or possibly 9 cache containers. Who made them? They were all great. A lot of people didn't vote, probably didn't even know they were out on a table. But chosen by those who did vote, the winners were: Driftwood and Tree (tie vote). Who made them? :confused:

Team Richards
09-28-2009, 12:10 PM
I had a "most innovative cache comtainer" competition at the Useless event this year. I didn't know if anyone was bringing anything so it wasn't very well thought out. There was a sheet and the caches listed on it are:

1. Driftwood
2. Hole in Log
3. Tree (and beside that is written LPC-Pine lamp post. Was that another cache or another name for "Tree"?)
4. Miss G.O. Cache
5. Googly Eyes (I know that was by sarahinmaine)
6. Rusty Bolt (Mapachi?)
7. Large bolt/nut
8. Scull

So there were 8 or possibly 9 cache containers. Who made them? They were all great. A lot of people didn't vote, probably didn't even know they were out on a table. But chosen by those who did vote, the winners were: Driftwood and Tree (tie vote). Who made them? :confused:
Hi Jean,
I believe the tree was made by Chief20r2 but I may have that wrong. I do believe that you could call the tree a pine lamp post because it did have a solar light on it. The large bolt and nut and rusty bolt may be the same cache but I may be wrong on that as well. I'm a big help aren't I....

hollora
09-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi Jean,
I believe the tree was made by Chief20r2 but I may have that wrong. I do believe that you could call the tree a pine lamp post because it did have a solar light on it. The large bolt and nut and rusty bolt may be the same cache but I may be wrong on that as well. I'm a big help aren't I....

Team Richards is right - the tree was made by Chief20r2 and will be placed in a Maine cache location. I brought the driftwood, but have to admit, I did not personally make it. I also found the skull over the weekend, put the micro in it and brought it (that one will be going out as a cache as well - labeled a little better).

All of the cache containers were very neat and innovative. This was a fun contest. Hope you do it again next year.

squirrelcache
09-28-2009, 12:58 PM
We didn't have enough time to craft our elaborate ideas :( Post the cache creation contest for next year and we'll enter if we're there.

kayaking loon
09-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Team Richards is right - the tree was made by Chief20r2 and will be placed in a Maine cache location. I brought the driftwood, but have to admit, I did not personally make it. I also found the skull over the weekend, put the micro in it and brought it (that one will be going out as a cache as well - labeled a little better).

All of the cache containers were very neat and innovative. This was a fun contest. Hope you do it again next year.

OK, we have a winner here. Hollora for the driftwood. So what do you want for a prize? Or maybe I should PM you in case you're shy..;)

And was that the moose skull I saw hanging on a tree during the event?

hollora
09-28-2009, 03:10 PM
OK, we have a winner here. Hollora for the driftwood. So what do you want for a prize? Or maybe I should PM you in case you're shy..;)

And was that the moose skull I saw hanging on a tree during the event?

Thank you. :) Bragging rights will do. ;) There were many nice containers and everyone did a great job. Actually had I done Rabies before the event, I would have voted for that one! :eek: LOL

You are right - I had that skull hanging right behind the camper. :eek: Watch for it holding a log in a location to be announced. ;) Perhaps it will be called - Old Bones?

Team Richards
09-28-2009, 03:18 PM
You are right - I had that skull hanging right behind the camper. :eek: Watch for it holding a log in a location to be announced. ;) Perhaps it will be called - Old Bones?

Maybe "How to get ahead"
or
"Head cacher"

"Bone Head"

Ekidokai
09-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Numb Skull?

Ekidokai
09-28-2009, 04:54 PM
When mosquitoes attack!

Poor doggy got to close to Ekidokai went he was hungry.

Weight watchers.

Waterski
09-28-2009, 06:09 PM
I whipped up Miss. G.O. Cache, mostly for something crazy for the kids to check out. This was a great event, and we are so glad to have participated this year, and meet everyone. Thanks to everyone for all your hard work in this event. There are so many caches that we missed in the area that we are looking forward to another trip to Eustis.

skishop
09-28-2009, 06:34 PM

No Brainer

No Water A Head

11/5-- Our Caches Go To Eleven

????????:D:D:D:D

Team Richards
09-28-2009, 06:43 PM
"Skulling" on the Penobscot

Team Richards
09-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Head cold...(winter friendly)

Team Richards
09-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Pick your brain.
I've got a bone to pick with you.

dubord207
09-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Why not just name it Moosehead? Or "Anorexic Bullwinkle":)

WhereRWe?
09-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Why not just name it Moosehead? Or "Anorexic Bullwinkle":)

Moosehead (http://www.moosehead.ca/)???

dubord207
09-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Sorry Bruce! Forgot about the heady hops known as "Moosehead." One of my favorites for a kick-butt lager!:)

hollora
09-28-2009, 08:02 PM
I am rolling with laughter on all the suggestions......when I get bonehead ready to go I will revisit here for sure.

Team Richards
09-28-2009, 08:23 PM
I think we should have a "name that cache" contest at the GUIE III event.

robt
09-28-2009, 08:29 PM
If anyone lost a football at the camp site i have found one and have it. Please let me know I have it in my car.

hollora
09-28-2009, 09:46 PM
I think we should have a "name that cache" contest at the GUIE III event.

Sounds like fun to me - I could print out a few pages between now and then.

When we did the Pirate event everyone who signed in got a bag and it included the tickets to vote on stuff.....plus other stuff.....if you decide to do it that way next year - let me know and I will help. I bet I can even, maybe get some bags donated.

I like the name a cache, like the best cache and of course, cause we did it, best pot luck dish.

Tons of ideas and many months to develope. Thanks for a fun time!

attroll
09-28-2009, 09:54 PM
If anyone lost a football at the camp site i have found one and have it. Please let me know I have it in my car.
Rob, the football is now yours. It was at the campsite when the first of us arrived. It does not belong to anyone in our group.

Kaching Karen
09-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks everyone for such fun. Jon and I only made it to the pot-luck, a little campfire time and a night cache. We had a busy weekend with our races. We loved everyone's company, the friendships, and the opportunity to camp out for a night.

The best.... Holly had coffee for me on Sunday morning! WOW! :)

kayaking loon
09-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Sounds like fun to me - I could print out a few pages between now and then.

When we did the Pirate event everyone who signed in got a bag and it included the tickets to vote on stuff.....plus other stuff.....if you decide to do it that way next year - let me know and I will help. I bet I can even, maybe get some bags donated.

I like the name a cache, like the best cache and of course, cause we did it, best pot luck dish.

Tons of ideas and many months to develope. Thanks for a fun time!

Sounds like a good idea! Just remind me closer to the time. See if you can get bags. How much "stuff" do you need to put in each?

kayaking loon
09-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Seems IAMPAW lost her vest at the Community Building. I checked today and it's not there. Anyone take a green fleece vest with IF&W on it by mistake??? She said it was on the back of a chair....

hollora
09-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Sounds like a good idea! Just remind me closer to the time. See if you can get bags. How much "stuff" do you need to put in each?

Jean - no problem with bags......they might not be fancy but will be new and servicable. You don't need to "stuff" them - just put in things that are important for everyone to have. I would be happy to help you with this piece. There is a whole year!

I sat and read that brochure about Flaggstaff today. The one you had on the table. I don't know how many people took one but it was very nice. Learned a lot and I love the map of the lake showing the location of old structures.

eebee
09-29-2009, 12:27 PM
There was a TopoUSA map printout of the area on one of the tables at the front that was in a plastic sleeve. I think it held 9 separate 8x10 pages or something like that. I've been looking for one online and can't seem to find anything. Does anyone know where I can get one of these plastic sleeves?

Trick or Treat
09-29-2009, 05:32 PM
I didn't know anything about Eustis and Flagstaff lake until this weekend when I did my first cache in the area, by Cathedral Pines.

http://http://www.windowsonmaine.org/view.aspx?objectId=9-30&currentfile=0 is a link to a MPBN short that has pics and short interviews on the subject. So interesting!

Haffy
09-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Not sure if the link is broken or not but I can't seem to connect to that link.

Trick or Treat
09-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Sorry about that. Try www.windowsonmaine.org/fullrecord.aspx?objectId=9-30 and click where it says Moving Image.

Trick or Treat
09-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Oh snap, that one doesn't work either. It works if I copy and paste it to the browsing window.

hide_from_the_kids
09-29-2009, 06:57 PM
you got double http:// remove one and it should work

Trick or Treat
09-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Thank you! It was driving me crazy!

attroll
09-29-2009, 10:24 PM
I fixed the second posts link.