View Full Version : Kayaks

pm28570
03-12-2009, 08:20 AM
I've decided I'm purchasing a kayak this year and would like to seek the advice of those in the group. Any input on a new purchase would be appreciated. To narrow down input, my kayaking will be flat water and fresh water. I'm a very experienced canoeist dating back to my youth, in regards to paddling, but am not experienced with kayaks. I most likely will not do all-day, long paddling but more along the lines of an afternoon or evening. So, it's more about getting out for a few hours and if I can do a cache or two along the way, great. Please post here or feel free to e/m me. Thanks for your opinions!

Also, I've seen the post about the sale at Old Town Canoe, unfortunately I will be out of the country during that sale.

robt
03-12-2009, 01:54 PM
The best advise I have is to take out a few and try them b4 you buy them to make sure that you are comfortable with it.

pjpreb
03-12-2009, 07:35 PM
I am looking to get a new kayak also and I like the looks of the pungo 12. A friend of ours has one and loves it. There is merit in "test driving" one since the comfort of the back rest is important.

Mapachi
03-13-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm 285 lbs.........Will I sink a Kayak?:eek:
I'm fine in a canoe. I can even stand up in one and go.......er....ah...lets just say I can stand up in a canoe.:rolleyes:
Do they make kayaks for fat people??:confused::confused::confused:

hollora
03-13-2009, 09:51 AM
The Sportsman Show at UM this weekend advertised being able to try out Kayaks and stuff in the pool between demos of other things. I would bring a change of clothes.

I think with your entry you get a ticket for a canoe drawing too.

Team2hunt
03-13-2009, 04:54 PM
http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/recreation_touring/adventure_xl_139.html

I have had this kayak for several years now ( the XL139 ) and enjoy using it on fresh or salt water. The kayak has a wide beam and large enough cockpit to easily climb in and out of.

Try it before you buy it.......or swim to the cache out on that island. You must know if you feel comfortable in the kayak, and also try out several different sizes of paddles.

Ask questions. I'd recommend either Eastern Mountain Sports or L.L.Beans to get your questions answered.

WhereRWe?
03-13-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm fine in a canoe. I can even stand up in one and go.......er....ah...lets just say I can stand up in a canoe.:rolleyes:

Sheesh! I'm 295 lbs, and I figure the only way I could get out of a kayak is to turn it over and swim out! LOL! :o:o

But my arthritis wouldn't let me get in one to begin with... Sigh...

hollora
03-13-2009, 09:45 PM
And the Old Town sale is coming right up - I posted a thread about it. Sometimes you hit what you want and sometimes you dont.

Mapachi
03-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Sheesh! I'm 295 lbs, and I figure the only way I could get out of a kayak is to turn it over and swim out! LOL! :o:o

But my arthritis wouldn't let me get in one to begin with... Sigh...
I'm a limber 285!:D

Ekidokai
03-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I thought being an industrial sized, crippled up, bald headed, cigar sucking, Guinea might make me stand out a little.

Last fall I bought a two person inflatable kayak for $45. I haven't tried it out yet and I need a paddle. I'm sure someone might want to be around with a video camera when I try this out.

Ekidokai
03-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Aren't they haveing some kind of a sportsman show in Orono today?

kayaking loon
03-14-2009, 09:09 AM

Check out sit-on-top kayaks. They're great for those of us who have arthritis, easy to get in and out of, fun for water people like me (translation... you might get a bit wet). But hey, that's part of the fun of being on the water! Most online kayak pages will tell you how many pounds of weight the kayak will carry, whether it is you alone or you and gear. I had a 320 pound friend in one of my small kayaks. She didn't have much freeboard but she stayed afloat (and so did the kayak). Wait for warm weather and try them out. If price is no object, try a Hobie Mirage. You can paddle it, peddle it and/or sail it. I have one that you can try (but wait until the ice goes out first, please.

Ekidokai
03-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Check out sit-on-top kayaks. They're great for those of us who have arthritis, easy to get in and out of, fun for water people like me (translation... you might get a bit wet). But hey, that's part of the fun of being on the water! Most online kayak pages will tell you how many pounds of weight the kayak will carry, whether it is you alone or you and gear. I had a 320 pound friend in one of my small kayaks. She didn't have much freeboard but she stayed afloat (and so did the kayak). Wait for warm weather and try them out. If price is no object, try a Hobie Mirage. You can paddle it, peddle it and/or sail it. I have one that you can try (but wait until the ice goes out first, please.

Doesn't the ice make things a bit interesting?

kymeejay
03-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Having the right kayak will make all the difference in a fun evening on the water. I started with a Old Town Loon but it was very bulky and felt like paddling a bathtub. Granted, I don't think I could have tipped it if I had tried but what a beast. I now have a Necky Zoar LV which I love. I had a rudder put on so all my paddling takes me straight where I want to go rather than back and forth. I picked it up at the Old Town sale a few years ago. You are welcome to try it anytime to get a feel for what you may or may not want.

robt
03-14-2009, 10:30 PM

I am not small man and I do not sink mine :D:D:D

hollora
03-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Yes, Sportsman Show at the Field House UMO - 10A to 4P (I think).