View Full Version : The JD Foundation's 1st annual fund raising yardsale.

vicbiker
03-30-2009, 11:02 AM
May 22, 23, 24......Intersection of rts 15 & 16......Abbot

Although we are calling this a yardsale, we are hoping it turns out to be a fun filled weekend of events. Camping at our house or in the surrounding area, plenty of geocaches in the area and we are planning outings with some of us more experience cachers showing "newbies" the ropes, local hikes led by local people that know how to get to some of the more interesting sights, a camp fire in the evenings, local musicians will be playing over the weekend, gas grills for cooking, games and much more.

Come for the weekend, stop by for the day, help sell some of the donated items, go caching, go for a hike, play some games, eat some food, or just sit and enjoy our company and all the while be helping a very worthwhile cause.

We still need those donated yardsale items, so keep checking those barns, sheds, cellars, attics and wherever else you store unwanted items. Give me a call at 876-2295 or email me at vic-biker@hotmail.com and I'll make arangements to pick up your items.

Thank you to all that have already donated, you have deeply touched both Cheryl and I.

hollora
03-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Once my "little job" is over I will be organizing some boxes of stuff for you. Sounds like fun and a nice alternative if you can't go to Geowoodstock.

Ekidokai
03-30-2009, 06:46 PM
I think I might be able to find a few things.

attroll
03-30-2009, 07:23 PM
That weekend may be free for me. I will have to keep this in mind. A camp fire and good people, what can be better. Were are you going to have the tents set up Vic? Is there a place to hang my hammock?

vicbiker
03-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Is there a place to hang my hammock?Rick, there is always a place for your hammock, even in the barn if it rains.

vicbiker
03-30-2009, 07:47 PM
I think I might be able to find a few things. Mike, if my memory serves me correctly and I'm sure it does, you already have. That doesn't mean we don't want more though.

vicbiker
03-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Once my "little job" is over I will be organizing some boxes of stuff for you. Sounds like fun and a nice alternative if you can't go to Geowoodstock. If you were here it would be way more fun then Geowoodstock.

hollora
03-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Well, for various reasons, I can not go to GW this year.........so time will tell. Gotta let the dust settle after 4/15..........but dust settles quickly!

vicbiker
04-01-2009, 08:29 AM
I will be headed south this afternoon around 3 pm, we have a seminar in Portland tomorrow. I have a pick up of yardsale items there tomorrow after the meeting, then I'll be in southern Maine Fri. and Sat. with stops in Limington, Limerick, W.Newfield and Cornish that I know of so far. Will be headed north on Sun., all this dependent on Mother Nature.:rolleyes:

vicbiker
04-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Something to check out on a rainy day
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/The-JD-Foundation/45387589893?ref=nf

Team V3
04-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Maybe V3 can make an appearance. We will definitely keep that date in mind.

vicbiker
04-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Maybe V3 can make an appearance. We would love to see the whole V3 gang there....going to be lots of events and games going on besides the yardsale. Hope to see you ...

hollora
04-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Vic - thanks for the visit today and the update. You will see me - may be a surprise when. You will get a call to bring the truck too for a pick up.

vicbiker
05-05-2009, 09:36 PM
JD Foundation Yard Sale

May 22, 23, 248 am 4 pm

Antiques, furniture, household items, tools, sporting goods, clothes, toys, games, baby items, and much more.

Gift basket raffles, fifty/fifty raffle, JD Foundation t-shirts, ice cream, coffee and muffins.

Nature walks, bike rides, geocaching, kayak trips down the Piscatiquis River will be going on every day.

A Borestone Mt. hike will be held on Saturday at 10 am led by Patty Stephanek

Camping in our yard or nearby, camp fire every night, music by Blaine Burhoe and friends.

Gas grills for cooking, horse shoes, sewer hole, croquet

Contact Vic or Cheryl for more information at vic-biker@hotmail.com; cherlynn9582000@yahoo.com; or call 1-207-876-2295.

attroll
05-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I am planning on being there at this time unless something changes. I should have my new hammock by then too. Look forward to the hike also.

vicbiker
05-06-2009, 05:01 AM
I am planning on being there at this time unless something changes. I should have my new hammock by then too. Look forward to the hike also. Rick, thats sounds great, it's going to e a fun weekend. I have to get out some new caches. I know where I want to put them, now just have to find the time.

vicbiker
05-06-2009, 05:12 AM
Who else is planning on camping for the weekend? Let me know as soon as you know for sure. Who wants to lead some newbies in caching 101? I'll have some family members here that have never cached before, but are anxious to go and I don't know how much time I'll have to lead them.

vicbiker
05-17-2009, 06:06 AM
I will be making a trip to Lois-Ann's on Monday to pickup more yard sale items from her, if anyone else has anything left that I haven't already gotten please let me know. Hope to see lots of you at the sale sometime over the weekend, if not here camping with us at least swing by do a little caching, go on a hike, bike ride, kayak the river, or just hang out at the fire and enjoy some great people.

pjpreb
05-17-2009, 08:28 PM
We're camping at Moosehead Family Campground over the weekend - we'll make an effort to swing by and check out the yard sale :)

Trick or Treat
05-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Who else is planning on camping for the weekend? Let me know as soon as you know for sure. Who wants to lead some newbies in caching 101? I'll have some family members here that have never cached before, but are anxious to go and I don't know how much time I'll have to lead them.

I'm not sure yet where I'll be hanging my hat. I'm waiting to hear from a friend who has a place near you to see if she will be around this weekend. I may end up staying overnight alone and if so, not sure I want to pitch my huge tent. It's all really up in the air for me; sorry. I do know that Dawn and I will both be there Saturday morning and we'll see what happens from there. Sorry to be all wishy washy. :(

Team V3
05-18-2009, 03:35 PM
I wanted to go but Melissa has to work that weekend. I was even hoping to get a tent from work for the weekend. Perhaps another time.

hollora
05-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Come up for some time during the day - grab some caches, find some great bargins - OMG, I have had a sneak preview. Don't let not being able to say overnight get in your way. Cache on down to the location, do some shopping, cache home. But I know the miles may get in the way.

One thing for sure - there will be another!

Team V3
05-19-2009, 10:03 AM
I would gladly go up but it is quite a drive for one day. I think we will wait until next time. Besides, Summer has not even officially started yet.

benandtina
05-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi! Ben and I plan to stop by Saturday morning!! We're going to a Game Night on Friday where Risk will be played. How early we get to the yardsale will depend on how early I can get Ben to quit world domination and go to bed, lol.

We're gonna go to the yardsale and then check out Moosehead Lake. I've never been there and they have some Moose Mainea (hahahaha, Mainea... I'm easily amused) event going. I want to see a moose. Is that asking for too much?

hollora
05-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi! Ben and I plan to stop by Saturday morning!! We're going to a Game Night on Friday where Risk will be played. How early we get to the yardsale will depend on how early I can get Ben to quit world domination and go to bed, lol.

We're gonna go to the yardsale and then check out Moosehead Lake. I've never been there and they have some Moose Mainea (hahahaha, Mainea... I'm easily amused) event going. I want to see a moose. Is that asking for too much? We"ll look forward to seeing you!

robt
05-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Sorry i am not going to be able to make it, unfortunatly this is my weekend this year to work.

firefighterjake
05-21-2009, 02:18 PM
. . . unfortunatly this is my weekend this year to work.

What is this word you speak of . . . "work" . . . what does this word mean? I do not believe I am familiar with this word. ;):D

hollora
05-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Just got off the phone with Cheryl.........they have lots of stuff, have priced til they can't any more and are ready for tomorrow.

Remember - you all don't have to come for the weekend. This is not an officially "sanctioned" Geocaching event or affair. It is a chance, however, to help local Geocaching friends and support a great Foundation - founded by Geocachers. Come up to Abbot and hit the sale, make a donation, cache and know you are welcome to stay if you can...........

Everyone out there have a wonderful weekend, remember the reason for the holiday and stay safe!

robt
05-21-2009, 10:05 PM
What is this word you speak of . . . "work" . . . what does this word mean? I do not believe I am familiar with this word. ;):D

Ok so you got me, I have to go in to the office and make sure that everyone else works for 9 hours and listen to people whine about something

dubord207
05-22-2009, 05:43 AM
Hey, you guys were just on Channel 6, looked great!!!! Hope the yard sale goes well. It's a great cause you two have championed!

Haffy
05-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Any chance you TIVo'ed it and saved it to Youtube?

hollora
05-24-2009, 10:00 PM
This was an incredible experience of life. I left home after work on Friday and camped out until late this afternoon. (Well, I can camped.)

Got to meet Chercacher and Vic-biker's families and many local friends. I have no siblings so I know the blessings they have in this great family which all came to help them.

Friday was the first day of the sale and they were busy - very busy........still selling long after I got there about 5:30P and they were supposed to close at 4P. We all enjoyed kick back time, the fire, dinner and just chillin'. Talking about plans for the Foundation and what might be done with monies generated.

Saturday morning came early. And we had customers early. What was very cool was all the caching people who rolled in.........I am not going to mention them all as I fear I will omit someone but it was great. Folks came, bought things, cached, helped as they could - OMG - it was just awesome. And Saturday was another great day.

I am not sure what TIVo'ed means - but if you are talking a video. I did get a quickie of the two fellowing who came to play Saturday. Not sure I know how to even get it onto the computer - let alone Youtube - but we will see.

Saturday night we were all really tired........but a few of the crew did go out to dance. Vic-biker and I opted for the easy chair around the fire. Lacy (no more Diesel) and Chercacher joined others to go out to the local dance floor.

Sunday morning came early and again - the customers came. It was another great day - not as many sales as Friday and Saturday but a reasonable amount considering an overcast and somewhat drizzly morning. We even sold a pig roaster (where were you Attroll???).

Well, I am home. Exhausted but with that good feeling of being exhausted. The JD Foundation has had a significant boost and has some serious plans about how to spread their good word. They will be open again tomorrow - so if anyone is headed to the Greenville, Abbot, Monson area - stop by and find something to buy. You never know. I got some nice swag items out of the sale.

Thanks to Vic-biker and Chercacher for all they do with the Foundation and suicide prevention. Thanks too for the many Geocachers who came by and said Hi! Great weekend guys!

hollora
05-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Can edit so will let you know - I didn't camp in a can but rather in the car! ;)

attroll
05-25-2009, 02:46 AM
Can edit so will let you know - I didn't camp in a can but rather in the car! ;)
Just a quick note, not to disrupt this thread. I just set the web site up so registered users have 5 minutes to edit theirs posts after they have submitted them.

Team Richards
05-25-2009, 08:01 AM
We're glad the lawn sale was such a success. You guys all worked so hard.

hollora
05-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Just a quick note, not to disrupt this thread. I just set the web site up so registered users have 5 minutes to edit theirs posts after they have submitted them.

Thanks Rick! :) Wished you had been able to make the yard sale. It was a ton of fun!

Ekidokai
05-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Glad everything worked out good. I came down with a horrible cold and just couldn't make it.

attroll
05-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks Rick! :) Wished you had been able to make the yard sale. It was a ton of fun!
I was really disappointed I could not attend. Poland Spring water had a panic attack and put in a big order to use at the last minute and I had to work this weekend to fill that order. My weekends are not looking good for this summer either seeing Poland Spring has opened a few more lines at there Kingfield plant.

EMSDanel
05-25-2009, 01:08 PM
To Vic and Cheryl..... What an awsome sale/event that was!!! So very well organized and, for sure, there was something there for evryone. Nice......really nice job!!!

pjpreb
05-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Stopped by the yard sale on Friday and picked up a really cool pair of antique skis :) Hope it was a huge success - you all sure worked hard! Camped in Greeneville and saw 7 moose over the weekend (6 were alive). Didn't get a chance to do all the caches we wanted to so we'll have to come back again!

Mainiac1957
05-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Hope you raised a ton of money for the foundation. Wished I could have been there. Since next years GW date has changed, I will make the second annual yard sale. Assuming you do it again.:rolleyes:;)

tat
05-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Sounds like this was the place to be!

Anything left over?

vicbiker
05-26-2009, 10:46 PM
I haven't had much time lately to check the site...just finished reading all the wonderful posts you guys wrote. We had a great sale to say the least, lots of geocachers stopping in to say hi, some even bringing things for us to sell, so good to see all your support. Just to tired to say much more at the moment....more to follow.

vicbiker
07-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Hi everyone, just wanted to let all of you that don't do facebook know that we will be doing another sale this coming weekend, the 25th and 26th. Abbot days is happening here this weekend and their committee has asked us to do a sale to help draw a crowd. This will not be as big a sale as Memorial Day was, but still will be a big sale with all new items. We will have the camp fire going evenings and have plenty of room for camping in the yard.Hope to see you there.

Team V3
07-21-2009, 10:16 AM
I wish we could make it out. Our schedules have been so hectic to make it anywhere really. I wish you both the best luck and hope the sun shines up your way.

attroll
07-21-2009, 11:28 AM
There is a slim chance I may be heading to Monson this weekend. If I do I will stop in.

hollora
07-21-2009, 01:51 PM
See you Sunday for sure!