View Full Version : It is now a GRC geocaching world out there...

team teebow
04-08-2009, 05:08 PM
or at least that is what it felt like today. I had one regular cache today to locate and I couldn't locate it. There were no guardrails around and I had no idea where to look. ;)

WhereRWe?
04-08-2009, 05:17 PM
What cache was it? :D:D

Ekidokai
04-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah, don't leave us hanging.

WhereRWe?
04-09-2009, 07:44 AM
And I don't think I've ever seen a "regular" caache that was in a guardrail...

Sabby
04-09-2009, 07:47 AM
If you consider a sandwich size tupperware to be regular size, then I have done a few "regular" guardrail caches.

WhereRWe?
04-09-2009, 07:52 AM
If you consider a sandwich size tupperware to be regular size, then I have done a few "regular" guardrail caches.

No - I think those are usually listed as "small" caches. Not "micro", but still not regular. And now that I check - the GC.com listing form (http://www.geocaching.com/hide/report.aspx) gives "Rubbermaid or Ammo Box" as examples of regular caches, and small as "holds log book and small items". :D:D

team teebow
04-09-2009, 08:43 AM
GC15EC3 Gun Point Cove Yes, I KNOW it was right there but I had AJ the caching dog with me and dang that water was close and that water was moving. I was a tad bit nervous. I was keeping my eye on the pooch and just couldn't concentrate to take a good look. I stood where my gps said 3 feet and said to AJ "Okay it is right here some where" The pooch just looked at me like Huh? Big help he was. :rolleyes:

I ws trying to make joke in my post. Every other cache I did was a GRC, this one was a regular cache. So I was trying to say that since I didn't have a guardrail nearby I had no clue where to look. :p

In fact one of those GRC's was just uhm uh....odd. Nothing to look at. No view just a cache in a GR by the road. Why? I was actaully quite disgusted and almost said "That's it. I am done caching."

I used to love to geocache. AJ and I strolling on a trail to a fabulous view or just a great walk in the woods. Currently all AJ gets to do is ride in the vehicle and watch me jump out and grab said cache. Oh well, guess it gets us out of the house.

Some of the GRC's or micros that we did had great views. So it wasn't all that bad. :D

WhereRWe?
04-09-2009, 08:53 AM
In fact one of those GRC's was just uhm uh....odd. Nothing to look at. No view just a cache in a GR by the road. Why? I was actaully quite disgusted and almost said "That's it. I am done caching."

I used to love to geocache. AJ and I strolling on a trail to a fabulous view or just a great walk in the woods. Currently all AJ gets to do is ride in the vehicle and watch me jump out and grab said cache. Oh well, guess it gets us out of the house.

Sheesh! I could have written the above myself! LOL!

RULOST2? and I went on a caching trip to Rhode Island a few weeks ago and brought back 5-6 TB's to give them a "taste of Maine". And while our reluctance to travel far off road at this time of year may have been the reason, we have only found one cache since then that was big enough to put a TB in! LOL!

team teebow
04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Sheesh! I could have written the above myself! LOL!

RULOST2? and I went on a caching trip to Rhode Island a few weeks ago and brought back 5-6 TB's to give them a "taste of Maine". And while our reluctance to travel far off road at this time of year may have been the reason, we have only found one cache since then that was big enough to put a TB in! LOL!

I find it quite sad. I do realize that everyone has a different view of what Geocaching should be. It is just a game after all. :rolleyes: ;)

Oh and we hardly pick up geocoins or tb's anymore because there is no where to put them after you retrieve them.

Ekidokai
04-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I find it quite sad. I do realize that everyone has a different view of what Geocaching should be. It is just a game after all. :rolleyes: ;)

Oh and we hardly pick up geocoins or tb's anymore because there is no where to put them after you retrieve them.

Now please don't holler at me. I'm still on the learning curve. I have picked up travel bugs and coins and put them in caches I have already found, like hotels and the such. They seem to get picked up quick and moved on.

Is this not an orthodox option?

masterson of the universe
04-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Now please don't holler at me. I'm still on the learning curve. I have picked up travel bugs and coins and put them in caches I have already found, like hotels and the such. They seem to get picked up quick and moved on.

If they are from out of state or have traveled a long ways, I've done this as well. I've only own 4 TB's (2 of which are long gone) but the two that have gone the furthest had hit the BIA Hotel. If you want at TB to get some distance, which i think is the general idea if there is no specific mission, where is the harm in picking one up and dropping it in a spot you know travelers are going to take them?

Gob-ler
04-09-2009, 11:18 AM
The following are the statistics from BRDAD's cache hider statistics:

Regular - 1359
Micro - 1259
Small - 846
Not Chosen - 141
Other - 109
Large - 22

While there are a lot of micro caches out there, they are still outnumbered by traditional sized caches. Many new geocachers start by placing micros. They are plain and simply easier to place. Many of these new cachers evolve and start changing the way place caches. For many it just takes a bit of time.

So, while there are micros just about everywhere there are certainly plenty of other sized caches out there as well. ;)

brdad
04-09-2009, 11:41 AM
I often lump the micros and small into the same category, since they are most often hidden in a similar manner (GRCs, LPCs). Using that criteria, there are over 2000 of those hidden compared to 1400 regular sized.

And, while everyone's perception of a cache with hide or location value varies greatly, it's hard to dispute that a larger percentage of smaller caches are hidden with little hide or location value compared with their larger counterparts.

And the argument is given many times how the GRCs and LPCs are great to have around when we are unable or unwilling to do the harder caches. But for me, I would rather do 10 of these simpler caches with a high hide or location value than 20 that have little hide or location value. I know I am not alone, but I know there are others who would love for all caches to be easy whether it had hide or location value or not.

Here is an example of an LPC with a full size cache. Yes, it's a real cache. It's an interesting hide, but only because there isn't one on every corner. Variety is the key!

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/f52f4ce6-8c9d-407a-ae05-79a6a566e86e.jpg

Seems like a perfect place to plug my Anatomy of a Great Cache Hide (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1564) article, too. :)

team teebow
04-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Iye yie yie......I didn't want this to turn into an argument kind of thread. I was just commenting on my caching trip....

We, the family of team teebow, enjoy caching when it involves a hike on a trail that brings you to a beautiful site involving history or the beauty of Maine or to a cache full of fun stuff. When you cache with kids GRC's or micros or nanos do not thrill them.

Now we have found our share of GRC's and nanos and micros......not saying we are totally against them just prefer the "other" kind.;)

So keep on arguing if you want. But there is no need to because we all have a right to what we feel geocaching should be. So cache on and enjoy every cache you find!!

firefighterjake
04-09-2009, 12:23 PM
. . .
Here is an example of an LPC with a full size cache. Yes, it's a real cache. It's an interesting hide, but only because there isn't one on every corner. Variety is the key!

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/f52f4ce6-8c9d-407a-ae05-79a6a566e86e.jpg

Seems like a perfect place to plug my Anatomy of a Great Cache Hide (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1564) article, too. :)

Love the pic . . . made me laugh . . . well maybe not a full blown laugh, more like a chuckle.

Gob-ler
04-09-2009, 12:30 PM
And, my post was not an attempt to start anything, just some numbers........I mean statistics about the number of whatever there is out there.

Variety is the spice of life.

I guess the bottom line is that all any of us need do is follow the cache size listing and the cache description and we can then find enough of the kind we like to keep us busy.

One of the favorite subjects here on this site is "Micro Caches". The fact is there is little if anything any of us can do to change what is happening everywhere. The beauty of Geocaching is that there is enough variety to keep any of us busy if we want to be busy finding caches.

brdad
04-09-2009, 12:41 PM
I didn't mean to sound like I was arguing either, sorry if it came across that way. Just giving my opinion on the subject.

There are plenty of options for everyone. And we each will promote the style we like by expressing our like for them and and placing them to set an example for others.

pjpreb
04-09-2009, 01:19 PM
We, the family of team teebow, enjoy caching when it involves a hike on a trail that brings you to a beautiful site involving history or the beauty of Maine or to a cache full of fun stuff. When you cache with kids GRC's or micros or nanos do not thrill them.

Might I suggest GCZEDP ? (shameless plug inserted here) :rolleyes:;)

team teebow
04-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Might I suggest GCZEDP ? (shameless plug inserted here) :rolleyes:;)

Wow! Now that looks like a fabulous cache. I might have to take my Venture Crew on that cache hunt!

Gob-ler
04-09-2009, 03:07 PM
And the best statement of the day is - - - - - - - - "placing them to set an example for others". Indeed!

WhereRWe?
04-09-2009, 04:27 PM

I don't think so. Since the cachest closest to me are displayed when I open gc.com, I note which nearby caches have TB's which have been there a while, and I might stop by and move them along. I don't know of anyone who wants their TB/geocoin to sit - unwanted - in a cache for very long. I also put coins/bugs into nearby caches to get rid of them and to encourage people to visit the area. Bugs and coins are always a draw.

fins2right
04-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Love the pic . . . made me laugh . . . well maybe not a full blown laugh, more like a chuckle.
No, that gave me a full blown laugh. I needed that today, Thanks!!!!!!:D:D

I know that GRC's and other micros irritate some. I use them alot during the winter go get me by. I have placed two new larger caches this week with 3 ammo cans ready to go. I look at it this way, Micros for winter, everything else for mud season.

Ekidokai
04-09-2009, 08:46 PM
I like them all. I placed a GRC that is a little different and I have gotten some good feedback from that one.

Nanos on the other hand should be banned!

vicbiker
04-10-2009, 08:44 AM
The answer may be we need bigger guardrails...

team teebow
04-10-2009, 02:35 PM
The answer may be we need bigger guardrails...

:eek: that would make GRC's wayyyyy easier then they already are.

Nanos are quite a challenge to find and a challenge to get the dang log rolled back up small enough to fit back in!

EMSDanel
04-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Another thought is to get creative with the containers you leave in guardails.... rather than just film canisters use something else so that trading can be done. The Maine Rose series did a good job with that, and I have a few (Sedgunkedunk and Hildreth Corner and 6 Miles From Home) the have "different" cache containers.

Trick or Treat
04-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Another thought is to get creative with the containers you leave in guardails.... rather than just film canisters use something else so that trading can be done. The Maine Rose series did a good job with that, and I have a few (Sedgunkedunk and Hildreth Corner and 6 Miles From Home) the have "different" cache containers.

I was in Bangor caching a few weeks ago and found a number of the caches you mentioned. I absolutely noticed how nice it was to have room to leave something. Hope it catches on down here.