View Full Version : cache or stash??

ltlindian
04-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Thought you all might find this interesting. Front page of this week's Boothbay Register.

Police note high incidence of April fools

By SUE MELLO

Staff Reporter
April Foolís Day was officially last Wednesday but the Boothbay Harbor Police Department reports that the annual event seemed to last longer than usual this year.
The first anonymous fool turned up last Saturday night, with a seriously wrong number. A juvenile in pursuit of marijuana thought he was calling a drug dealer, but misdialed and reached Officer Jared Mitkus on the police cruiser cell phone instead. The juvenile asked to buy some marijuana and agreed to a meeting place. When the would-be buyer arrived at the Meadow Mall parking lot, to his chagrin, Officer Mitkus was waiting for him. No arrest was made in the incident, but Mitkus reports having a serious discussion with the youth.
Another fool left $4,000 worth of marijuana in a metal box at the Boothbay Harbor Cemetery, presumably for pickup by a buyer. However, that drug deal was waylaid when two geocachers - treasure hunters participating in an online game using GPS devices - stumbled onto the drugs and reported their discovery to BHPD. Police confiscated the marijuana; no arrest was made.
In what police are calling a freak accident, a local man accidentally shot himself on Sunday, April 5. The manís loaded 22-caliber rifle, which was stored on top of his nightstand, was accidentally knocked off when he opened a drawer. According to the man, the gun struck the floor and discharged. Luckily, the bullet went through his shoulder muscle and no serious injury resulted. Police Chief Robert Hasch said that it was odd that the gun would discharge when dropped, but noted that the gunís safety was defective.
Hasch reminds gun owners that firearms should always be stored unloaded and be properly secured to avoid such accidents. He also recommends that individuals not adjust trigger pulls as this may increase the likelihood of unintended firing. Gun locks are available at the BHPD - free of charge.

Hiram357
04-11-2009, 08:31 AM
haha, wow, I'm glad I don't live down there, sounds like a pretty rough neighborhood.... sure it looks pretty enough, but deep down in the underbelly of boothbay, lurks the dark ooze that is it's crime problem.... :rolleyes::D;)

I would hate to have to be the geocachers explaining that one to the cops. I had enough trouble explaining to a cop that there was a rubber chicken hidden in the CITO sign. I think talking yourself out of a drug drop would be a bit harder.... :eek:

WhereRWe?
04-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Sheesh! Reminds me of when I found the patch of "grass" last year (year before?) when trying to FTF a cache. (Being more of a "laissez faire" kind of guy, I left it alone and suggested to the cache approver that this might not be a good place for a cache. Other cachers might have weeded the patch and watered it...) :eek::eek:

EMSDanel
04-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Now that's what I call SWAG!!!

EMSDanel
04-11-2009, 02:07 PM
And if you take some, how many TB's are you supposed to leave to be considered a "fair trade?"

kayaking loon
04-11-2009, 02:37 PM
[quote=Hiram357;51132]haha, wow, I'm glad I don't live down there, sounds like a pretty rough neighborhood.... sure it looks pretty enough, but deep down in the underbelly of boothbay, lurks the dark ooze that is it's crime problem.... :rolleyes::D;)

I used to live there and there was a reason we called it Boozebay....:eek:

Trick or Treat
04-11-2009, 03:07 PM
I admit the cop looked incredulous when he asked me if we had touched all four bags of pot in the ammo can and I told him I did to see if there was a log underneath it all!

And where does this reporter come up with $4 grand? I was told there was $6!

WhereRWe?
04-11-2009, 04:00 PM
I admit the cop looked incredulous when he asked me if we had touched all four bags of pot in the ammo can and I told him I did to see if there was a log underneath it all!

So were you actually looking for a cache nearby, or did you just see the can and assume it was a geocache? LOL! :D:D

Hiram357
04-11-2009, 04:12 PM

And where does this reporter come up with $4 grand? I was told there was $6!

heh, surrrre... there probably was $6 before you got there... ;);):p:D

there was also a report that someone dropped a roll of $20 bills wrapped up in a rubber band, I heard they found the rubber band... :rolleyes:

masterson of the universe
04-11-2009, 04:59 PM
I grew up in Pemaquid and Boothbay was where we considered all the spoiled rich kids to live. I am actually friends with Jared Mitkus and think its cool that he didn't take advantage of the situation.

Trick or Treat
04-11-2009, 05:11 PM
We thought the ammo can was the cache so when we opened it we were shocked. I thought it had to be a joke so on our way to turn it in, I took out the bags to see if there was a log underneath it all. Later on, Michellse (ltlindian) told me the cache was in tupperware so this was just some random "find".

dubord207
04-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Yikes, what if I felt I was "coming down" with some medical issue, shingles, acne, acid reflux....and I found some medical pot, albeit not at a Rite-Aid? Then what, leave my medical condition untreated or....... :D Honey, where's the Iron Butterfly CD?

fins2right
04-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Yikes, what if I felt I was "coming down" with some medical issue, shingles, acne, acid reflux....and I found some medical pot, albeit not at a Rite-Aid? Then what, leave my medical condition untreated or....... :D Honey, where's the Iron Butterfly CD?

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida baby!!!! You know, I work for hours, sometimes longer to sieze that kind of pot :). Actually, last year we made up signs that say "Greetings! Your grass has been mowed by the Kennebec Valley Drug Task Force" They have a smiley face on them and we put the sign in the middle of the "farming" area. Shockingly, we have not gotten the laughs out of them that we expected. Mostly tears. Hmmmm.

hollora
04-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Nice find - and right on, doing what you did! Two years ago, I found books, CDs, DVDs and Videos from a library in a burn pile/camp fire on a trail and called the PD. You just never know waht you are going to find.

kymeejay
04-11-2009, 08:50 PM
The cemetary in Boothbay is very busy. Tried for the cache last weekend but it didn't feel right as there was a graveside service. Now with the drugs...wow, big business for such a little town.

Moonsouth
04-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Oh ya...I would have turned it in....sure.....Maybe it was a FTF prize :D

Moonsouth
04-12-2009, 08:54 AM
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida baby!!!! You know, I work for hours, sometimes longer to sieze that kind of pot :). Actually, last year we made up signs that say "Greetings! Your grass has been mowed by the Kennebec Valley Drug Task Force" They have a smiley face on them and we put the sign in the middle of the "farming" area. Shockingly, we have not gotten the laughs out of them that we expected. Mostly tears. Hmmmm.

Oh, and btw, I hope you put that much effort into finding real drugs ;)