View Full Version : RE: Be prepared to have your world rocked

firefighterjake
04-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Yeah, the title says it all . . . mainly because I'm toying around with actually hosting an ATV Geocaching Jamboree of sorts.

I know coming from me, the Anti-Event Geocacher, this sounds a bit strange, but I figured there are several folks here who might like the idea of combining geocaching and ATVing together . . . and of course if this was an ORCA event I would add in camping and anyone would be more than welcome to hang out in the evening.

At this point I am simply dangling the idea out there to see if there is any bonafide interest in this idea . . . after all I'm not about to host an event for just me and one or two other people.

If you are interested in this idea let me know here . . . also does anyone have any ideas on possible places to ride where we could combine riding with caches?

robt
04-14-2009, 01:30 PM
I do not have an ATV but am allways up for some camping!!!!

Hiram357
04-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Yeah, the title says it all . . . mainly because I'm toying around with actually hosting an ATV Geocaching Jamboree of sorts.

I know coming from me, the Anti-Event Geocacher, this sounds a bit strange, but I figured there are several folks here who might like the idea of combining geocaching and ATVing together . . . and of course if this was an ORCA event I would add in camping and anyone would be more than welcome to hang out in the evening.

At this point I am simply dangling the idea out there to see if there is any bonafide interest in this idea . . . after all I'm not about to host an event for just me and one or two other people.

If you are interested in this idea let me know here . . . also does anyone have any ideas on possible places to ride where we could combine riding with caches?

oooh oooh oooh!!! pick me pick me!! I'll go!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Mainiac1957
04-14-2009, 04:23 PM
No ATV, but I have a jeep so I don't need no stinkin' ATV!! Always up for some camping and caching. All depends when you pick for a date. Downeast would be good as well as the county. BTW who is this and what have you done with Jake Johnson? :rolleyes:

Hiram357
04-14-2009, 05:30 PM
No ATV, but I have a jeep so I don't need no stinkin' ATV!! Always up for some camping and caching. All depends when you pick for a date. Downeast would be good as well as the county. BTW who is this and what have you done with Jake Johnson? :rolleyes:

I actually stole his password, and I'm going to post the event in his name.... :rolleyes:;):D

hollora
04-14-2009, 08:59 PM
I enjoyed the last ORCA event - will Jake take ~ urgh I mean make breakfast??? No ATV but maybe I can hitchhike in a Jeep??? Have tent will travel when possible.

racatv
04-15-2009, 01:55 PM
We may be interested....racatv:)

hollora
04-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Does that make 6???

tat
04-15-2009, 08:15 PM
or maybe 7?

hollora
04-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Woot Tat - that was easy!

HappyTogether
04-16-2009, 10:28 PM

No ATV here either, but I hated missing the last ORCA event. Put me down as interested.

Besides, FFJ not only attending an event, but HOSTING it too? This could be a once in a lifetime experience.

steverph
04-18-2009, 08:47 PM
I HAVE and ATV and I am interested. I have enjoyed finding a few caches on some of my ATV rides, including a few of Jakes!

hollora
04-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Hey FFJake - I think your other BFD compadre has some thoughts.......... Looks like the numbers may be climbing. Have tent, 4 x 4 but no 4 wheeler but will travel, can cook and love to cache.........anything else required?

bgrffdave
04-19-2009, 11:30 AM
I haven't gone to a lot of events myself but this combo might suck me in!

Have you got any thoughts for an area Jake? ALinMaine & I did a fair amount of atv riding last summer but often didn't pay much attention to caches while we were out :eek:... I know, I know... shame on us.

I'll have to compare what rides I did and maps I have against what there are for caches along the trails.

firefighterjake
04-21-2009, 09:01 AM
I haven't gone to a lot of events myself but this combo might suck me in!

Have you got any thoughts for an area Jake? ALinMaine & I did a fair amount of atv riding last summer but often didn't pay much attention to caches while we were out :eek:... I know, I know... shame on us.

I'll have to compare what rides I did and maps I have against what there are for caches along the trails.

If you have any ideas of a good location that could combine good riding, a place to camp and a fair number of trail side caches it would be appreciated . . . Duck Lake is one option with a few caches put out by Evil Homer on the way to Grand Lake Stream . . . maybe somewhere downeast . . . or in the County.

Hiram357
04-21-2009, 06:48 PM
If you have any ideas of a good location that could combine good riding, a place to camp and a fair number of trail side caches it would be appreciated . . . Duck Lake is one option with a few caches put out by Evil Homer on the way to Grand Lake Stream . . . maybe somewhere downeast . . . or in the County.

the maine wilderness camps, the TL 2007 site, has access to ATV trails, and the Mattawamkeag wilderness camps (possible 2009 TL site) has access to trails too.

Mainiac1957
04-21-2009, 07:44 PM
That would be the only down side for MWC. We have pretty much exhausted all the caches up there. But since it's more of an ATV event then that doesn't matter as much.

hollora
04-21-2009, 07:55 PM
That would be the only down side for MWC. We have pretty much exhausted all the caches up there. But since it's more of an ATV event then that doesn't matter as much.

There are some new cachers in the area putting them out........and maybe with an event in the area they would do some more. MWC, when they were at the camper show, sounded real interested in knowing more about Geocaching too.

Hiram357
04-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Don't worry Brad, I just got a bulk shipment of film canisters.... ;););):p

Mainiac1957
04-22-2009, 06:18 AM
Don't worry Brad, I just got a bulk shipment of film canisters.... ;););):p

You just can throw them out every 528' along the access road then we will be all set.;)

Team2hunt
04-22-2009, 06:43 AM
You just can throw them out every 528' along the access road then we will be all set.;)

Sorry but under the new guidelines that would no longer be allowed. :rolleyes:

firefighterjake
04-22-2009, 07:43 AM

That was my original thinking . . . I really would like to be able to have a 50/50 split in terms of geocaching and ATVing rather than it being mostly an ATV ride or mostly a geocaching adventure.

For this reason I would like to find an area where there are plenty of caches alongside an ATV trail . . . with access to camping for the non-ATVers . . . and preferably some place that hasn't been totally tapped out by folks who will be coming (i.e. the Newport Trail has plenty of caches . . . but I suspect most folks have found these.)

firefighterjake
04-22-2009, 07:44 AM
There are some new cachers in the area putting them out........and maybe with an event in the area they would do some more. MWC, when they were at the camper show, sounded real interested in knowing more about Geocaching too.

Hmmm . . . perhaps worth reconsidering if there are some more in the area and trail-side.

firefighterjake
04-22-2009, 07:45 AM

Sure, sounds like fun . . . we'll just have Hiram ride in front of us tossing them out every so often and we'll come behind him and all log them.

bgrffdave
04-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Hmmm.... that sounds like a good way for Hiram to lead us all off into trouble!

Hiram357
04-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Hmmm.... that sounds like a good way for Hiram to lead us all off into trouble!

pfffft... when have I ever intentionally led anyone into trouble.... :rolleyes:;):p:D

hollora
04-23-2009, 06:03 PM
But - yummmm - are you going to cook in your Dutch Oven???? When - when?? Where - where? Oh - don't put the groceries in Jake's truck.............or they will go vrooooommmm, vrooommmmmm early in the AM! LOL

Hiram357
04-24-2009, 06:39 AM
But - yummmm - are you going to cook in your Dutch Oven???? When - when?? Where - where? Oh - don't put the groceries in Jake's truck.............or they will go vrooooommmm, vrooommmmmm early in the AM! LOL

cook in the dutch oven??? like the kool-aid guy says "ohhh yeah" :D

this time we'll stash the food in your car so it doesn't get "stolen" again... :rolleyes:

firefighterjake
04-24-2009, 07:31 AM

Hey now . . . anyone that has gone with me on any of these ORCA events knows my modus operandi . . . early to bed, early to rise . . . I get bored easily and so I go off to grab a few caches before folks wake up . . . waking up everyone in the process however as I drive off. :D;)

firefighterjake
04-24-2009, 07:32 AM
cook in the dutch oven??? like the kool-aid guy says "ohhh yeah" :D

this time we'll stash the food in your car so it doesn't get "stolen" again... :rolleyes:

Just don't drink the Purple Kool-Aid . . . or the Poison Beer. ;):D

vicbiker
04-25-2009, 08:06 PM
waking up everyone in the process however as I drive off. :D;) I remember the first winter camp out last winter, Tom and Karen didn't arrived until the middle of the night. Karen in all of her wisdom decided to pitch her tent just inches from my trucks tailpipe. I got up early and decided to head to the store for breakfast, but how could I leave with out scaring the hell out of karen. I thought about this for a long time (30 seconds) and then fired up the 350 and sped off, after reving the engine a few times to warm up the motor. The moral of the story. "Don't pitch your tent behind someones truck.":D

Kaching Karen
04-27-2009, 06:42 PM
I remember the first winter camp out last winter, Tom and Karen didn't arrived until the middle of the night. Karen in all of her wisdom decided to pitch her tent just inches from my trucks tailpipe. I got up early and decided to head to the store for breakfast, but how could I leave with out scaring the hell out of karen. I thought about this for a long time (30 seconds) and then fired up the 350 and sped off, after reving the engine a few times to warm up the motor. The moral of the story. "Don't pitch your tent behind someones truck.":D

I feel the love. I feel the love......

Hiram357
04-27-2009, 08:40 PM
I feel the love. I feel the love......

awww c'mon, you should! who's the one that stayed up until about midnight until you guys got there...??? ;):D:D

bgrffdave
04-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Well, after comparing what I've got for ATV maps covering Winn to Cutler I'm a little disappointed. While there are caches along the trails, they're few and far between compared to all the caches in this part of the state.

If you want to stop by sometime Jake I can show you what I came up with... let me know.

bgrffdave
04-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Never having done one of these before... do most like to do a lot of caches on during a ride or a long ride with one cache as a destination?

firefighterjake
04-28-2009, 07:49 AM
Well, after comparing what I've got for ATV maps covering Winn to Cutler I'm a little disappointed. While there are caches along the trails, they're few and far between compared to all the caches in this part of the state.

If you want to stop by sometime Jake I can show you what I came up with... let me know.

Give me a call the next day you're on duty and I'll stop by and chat and see what you've come up with.

I was originally thinking perhaps camping at Duck Lake . . . knowing that Evil Homer has put out a few right next to some trails.

A few other possibilities . . . Laughing Terry placed a whole bunch of Snowmobile Caches . . . I've never ATVed in that area so I don't know whether or not these are Sled/ATV trails or just ATV trails . . . perhaps he will chime in and let us know.

There is also the County . . . it's been awhile since I've been there . . . not sure if there are many caches trail side though.

Another possibility is western Maine . . . again . . . I'm not sure how the trails and caching would stack up.

As I said, give me a call the next day you're in and we can talk.

firefighterjake
04-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Never having done one of these before... do most like to do a lot of caches on during a ride or a long ride with one cache as a destination?

Well I can only speak for myself with the past ORCA Tread Lightly events . . . one year there were some half decent rides with fewer caches and one year there was more caching and very few off road rides. Personally I prefer a good mix . . . ride some, find the cache, ride some, find the cache, etc.

bgrffdave
05-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Jake: I don't really have a way to bring what I pieced together with me for you to see... I can't easily print it. I combined a couple map overlays and a GSAK export in Google Earth to try and get an idea. I can show you at the house though. I just got a new map from the Greenfield area to add to my collection so I'll take another look.

FYI... for you ATVers... there will be a new connector trail available this year after "mud season" closures end. You will now be able to come from the Winn/Lee/Lincoln area down around Passadumkeag Mountain and connect (near Great Pond) back to the collection of Downeast trails that surround the Snack Bar. The only warning... it will pass through a short but fairly rough stretch of trail near the instersection of the Stud Mill Rd and 25000 Rd. However, I have it on fairly good authority that this rough section is on the "needs some work" list for this year. Yet another loop in the Downeast trail system... now to get that rail trail up and running!

Kaching Karen
05-03-2009, 09:43 PM
awww c'mon, you should! who's the one that stayed up until about midnight until you guys got there...??? ;):D:D

That's very true... you were our one man greeting team and it was much appreciated!

racatv
05-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Tread lightly... a lot of caches are just slightly off marked trails. Is there any way to get a "pass" for an event, so it could be okay. Most are okay for vehicles but not atvs. Example...GC16VGB..Don Baylor Loves to Cache, just off the trail. We are VERY repectful riders, and will pull out the "I'm Geocaching " card if we are "caught". Also I've found a lot of caches that say ATV ok, but aren't on the trail such as.. Death Wish, Foster Solitude ,Foss Pond.. We just park the Atv and walk in. Am I so wrong?:rolleyes:

Hiram357
05-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Tread lightly... a lot of caches are just slightly off marked trails. Is there any way to get a "pass" for an event, so it could be okay. Most are okay for vehicles but not atvs. Example...GC16VGB..Don Baylor Loves to Cache, just off the trail. We are VERY repectful riders, and will pull out the "I'm Geocaching " card if we are "caught". Also I've found a lot of caches that say ATV ok, but aren't on the trail such as.. Death Wish, Foster Solitude ,Foss Pond.. We just park the Atv and walk in. Am I so wrong?:rolleyes:

ya confused me... :confused: are you saying you ride your atv directly to cache off the trail or are you driving a vehicle down the atv trail??? what kind of "pass" are you looking for?

racatv
05-04-2009, 09:05 AM
We park and walk in to a cache. We tread lightly. I also have a cache on a trail, Spicer Pond Cache, and specifically tell ATVers not to ride in. Skip the pass idea.

firefighterjake
05-05-2009, 11:39 AM
I think I may be narrowing down some details . . . assuming that this may actually work out.

My question . . . what would folks who would potentially be interested in an event prefer.

1) Attempting to do an equal amount of caching and riding . . . although realistically there would be more riding time than caching time.

2) Doing an event where the main focus would be on a scenic ride and the riding would be the main "thing" as we would ride out to 1-3 far flung caches.

Also . . . how far are folks willing to travel . . . is Presque Isle too far? how about Beddington?

At this point I'm leaning towards one or two places.

If folks prefer Option #1 I would continue to look at one or two campgrounds in the Presque Isle area. It's a bit of a drive, but the trail system there is pretty extensive and there are a number of caches located along the rail trails.

If folks prefer Option #2 I would consider camping at Duck Lake, Airline Snack Bar or the Wilderness Camps. Still a bit of a drive, maybe not quite so far as PI . . . again the trail system is pretty extensive, but not a lot of trail side caches.

Hiram357
05-05-2009, 03:06 PM
I think I may be narrowing down some details . . . assuming that this may actually work out.

My question . . . what would folks who would potentially be interested in an event prefer.

1) Attempting to do an equal amount of caching and riding . . . although realistically there would be more riding time than caching time.

2) Doing an event where the main focus would be on a scenic ride and the riding would be the main "thing" as we would ride out to 1-3 far flung caches.

Also . . . how far are folks willing to travel . . . is Presque Isle too far? how about Beddington?

At this point I'm leaning towards one or two places.

If folks prefer Option #1 I would continue to look at one or two campgrounds in the Presque Isle area. It's a bit of a drive, but the trail system there is pretty extensive and there are a number of caches located along the rail trails.

If folks prefer Option #2 I would consider camping at Duck Lake, Airline Snack Bar or the Wilderness Camps. Still a bit of a drive, maybe not quite so far as PI . . . again the trail system is pretty extensive, but not a lot of trail side caches.

For english press 1, for espanol press 2...

I would like either one. But then again if there was such a trail to PI I would ride the atv up there for the event... but I don't think that will happen. I like long rides. I like caches. I like camping. I remember someone telling me a while ago when I was doing an ORCA event, "If you post it, they will come" :D

So I guess, adding up option one and two, would make my answer three. :D

hollora
05-05-2009, 03:49 PM
You plan it and the weekend being free ~ they will come.

Dave and Gail
05-05-2009, 08:48 PM
This sounds like something Gail and I , (and Shamis) would enjoy. With enough notice, and luck for Gail to not be on call, we could possibly make it. PI is fine, or anywhere for that matter. More riding than caching is OK if that is what happens. We are not in it for the numbers as you may have noticed. We finally just passed 300, and it took us quite a while, but we have done some quality caches , with quality friends. Now that I'm back on my feet, we are ready to hit the trails when we can.:):D

firefighterjake
05-06-2009, 07:37 AM
At this point I am heavily leaning towards heading to the County . . . Northwoods Explorer has been a big asset in helping me get some info.

Going to the County requires a bit more of a drive for most folks, but the riding there is great, there are quite a few "places" to ride to and a number of caches trail-side . . . plus I believe I can book a campground in PI which will allow folks to drive right from the campground to the trails, pets are allowed (on leash and with clean up), there is a group site available and a 10% discount if we book 6 or more sites . . . there is a day charge of $3 for folks who might want to come just for the day unfortunately.

So how does this sound to folks . . . and more importantly . . . does anyone have any particular weekends that would work better for them. I suspect this would not be a big group so I would like to see if we can find a weekend that might work for the majority . . . just be sure to pick one with good weather. ;)

hollora
05-06-2009, 08:59 AM
My dance card is full through 4th of July - after that I could probably join the parade. Usually can't leave Fridays until after 4:20P but as long as the campground isn't locked down early I would just be a late arriver.

Sounds like fun Jake - even without a 4 wheeler.

robt
05-06-2009, 01:29 PM
It is a possible fopr me it is going to depend on the date and if I can afford to go up.

firefighterjake
05-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Date check:

Still tentative . . . and who knows this may not still be greenlighted.

However, which dates work best for folks.

July 18th

July 25th

Hiram357
05-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Date check:

Still tentative . . . and who knows this may not still be greenlighted.

However, which dates work best for folks.

July 18th

July 25th

both of those weekends are open for me, so lets do an event on the 18th, and the 25th :D