View Full Version : Missing TB acquired

cachecrashers4
04-21-2009, 08:09 PM
I was handed a TB today that had gone missing in 2005. The person who picked it up never logged it. It shows it's last location in a cache I had a DNF on. I have e-mailed the owner asking how they want me to proceed. Any opinions on how I should log it? :confused:

Ekidokai
04-21-2009, 08:11 PM
I would log it as grabbed from some one and put it in a cache.

Trick or Treat
04-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Wow, the owners must be blown away! Eki's right; just grab it. I found one this weekend in a cache that says it's in the hands of some cachers that, according to the logs, never found the cache it's been sitting in. I emailed them to see if perhaps they just hadn't gotten to the online logging, but in the end just grabbed it. Good find!

hollora
04-21-2009, 08:36 PM
You just never know. If TBs and coins could only talk LOL

One of mine was found in a laundramat washer in Orono. Fortunate for me it hadn't been missing long and the person who found it got in touch with me. I think I know what happened and it really is funny.

You emailed the owners, grab it (you can even put in your log that it was handed to you) and await their instructions. I am sure they will be happy. Probably they would love a photo too.

Kaching Karen
04-22-2009, 08:20 PM
My first TB was called "Mumsbee" and I put it in a cache so my Mum could follow it. (it was a ceramic bee). Some of you have met my mother, who took on the caching name, "Mumsbee." It quickly disappeared. Haffy tried to help me find it. Well, guess what, after 5 years it is back in action! Isn't that amazing? No explaination.... the people who had it, just put it in a cache.

pjpreb
04-22-2009, 08:22 PM
SaWEEEEEEET!!! Glad it's back in action!!!!:)

Ekidokai
04-22-2009, 09:50 PM
My first TB was called "Mumsbee" and I put it in a cache so my Mum could follow it. (it was a ceramic bee). Some of you have met my mother, who took on the caching name, "Mumsbee." It quickly disappeared. Haffy tried to help me find it. Well, guess what, after 5 years it is back in action! Isn't that amazing? No explaination.... the people who had it, just put it in a cache.

Holy crap that is amazing!

I have a bunch of travel bugs out there now and I'm putting coins out too. I'm not too awfully concerned about them getting lost, but I do like seeing where they have been.

masterson of the universe
04-23-2009, 08:13 AM
This happened with my first bug as well. It was nothing more than a photo keychain with Cooper's (my son) picture in it. It disappeard after visiting a few. Emailed the last grabber a few times to no avail as well as the cache owner. No luck. Maybe he'll turn up as well some day.

Haffy
04-23-2009, 08:49 AM

Hey that's great news!!!

Waterski
04-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Is there a tutorial anywhere on the geocaching site where it explains how to log in a TB? I had to walk a new caching through it this week by email, as they had just put in the log that they left the TB, but had not logged in out of the cache they took it from, or logged in into the cache they put it in. So many TB's go lost and I wonder if it is just the same problem...people just don't understand the procedure of how to dump them into the inventory of a cache, or know even how to get them out. Where to you all suggest is the best place for people to go to understand the procedure? Maybe I should just start a new log for people to go to for this info. I don't think this person was aware of this page until I told her to go to this website for new GPS information.

Waterski
04-24-2009, 11:38 PM
I just started a new thread for people to post information on how to post tbs...

masterson of the universe
06-23-2009, 11:48 AM
This happened with my first bug as well. It was nothing more than a photo keychain with Cooper's (my son) picture in it. It disappeard after visiting a few. Emailed the last grabber a few times to no avail as well as the cache owner. No luck. Maybe he'll turn up as well some day.

As luck would have it, my first bug got a hit today after having gone missing in 2006!! He was found in a cluster of briars and is on his way back into circulation. As this was dedicated to my son, this has more than made my day.

benandtina
06-23-2009, 03:02 PM
YAY!!!! I'm happy for you!!!! That's so exciting!

This reminds me of http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=d90ebda9-bab1-42ce-ad22-4b2b8e63370e - the TB ended up in a package sent to a funny IT site (http://www.thedailywtf.com). The site's owner will send stickers and mugs with the site's logo if people send him random stuff. A bunch of us asking him to please place the TB in a cache since it isn't meant to travel that way but it looks like he hasn't done so yet :(

benandtina
06-23-2009, 03:04 PM
A bunch of us asking him

*should be asked, oops!