View Full Version : Premium membership

Waterski
04-24-2009, 11:49 PM
If you are a premium member, what is the number one thing that you appreciate for an upgrade, and find most helpful?

brdad
04-25-2009, 06:14 AM
Pocket queries are the major bonus of premium membership. In fact, it's the only major bonus in my opinion. But it's a big one.

The only other benefits are the instant notification of new caches and bookmark lists. You can also place and find member only caches (member only caches are capable of being logged by anyone).

pm28570
04-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Pocket queries are the major bonus of premium membership. In fact, it's the only major bonus in my opinion. But it's a big one.

The only other benefits are the instant notification of new caches and bookmark lists. You can also place and find member only caches (member only caches are capable of being logged by anyone).

I would echo his comments. PQ's are helpful; if you're into FTF's then instant notification will be important. This year I've decided to add a couple of challenges to my caching.....Delorme and AlphaNumeric. Having booklists as a tool makes it fun and easier. My view is it's well worth the fee.

fins2right
04-25-2009, 07:35 AM
PQ's and Notifications are great. I used the "found in the last 7 days" filter for PQ's all winter and it helped me find caches that were winter accessible. Plus, I look at this as my primary hobby. The 20 bucks or so that I spend to assist with the website is really cheap money. I access the site everyday, sometimes more than once and my guess is that it averages out to less than a half cent each time. Overall, I get a lot of happiness out of a little money. I spend more on my morning coffee. At this point, I would be really unhappy if the website failed, so I don't mind paying my share.

Ekidokai
04-26-2009, 06:30 AM
I'll have to agree also the PQ's are the thing that I use.

keydetpiper
05-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah, pocket queries save a bunch of time and are well worth the cost if you spend much time caching. As a free member there are certain caches you can't see (as designated by the owner), but as a premium member nothing is off limits.

WhereRWe?
05-03-2009, 03:48 PM
As a free member there are certain caches you can't see (as designated by the owner), but as a premium member nothing is off limits.

Sheesh! Good point! Maybe Brdad - the GeocachingMaine.org statistician - can tell us how many "premium member only" caches there are in Maine. LOL!

Ekidokai
05-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Just in from another thread... If you are a premium member you can edit your post for up to 15 days. I don't know why anyone would want to do that?

WhereRWe?
05-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Just in from another thread... If you are a premium member you can edit your post for up to 15 days. I don't know why anyone would want to do that?

No, no... I'm pretty sure that Rick meant that you can edit your message in the forums here on GeocachingMaine.org - if you're a donating member. It didn't have anything to do with being a premium member of geocaching.com.

I think... ;);)

brdad
05-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Sheesh! Good point! Maybe Brdad - the GeocachingMaine.org statistician - can tell us how many "premium member only" caches there are in Maine. LOL!

it would be neat to give statistical data on Premium Member caches, but unfortunately that information is only controlled at the Groundspeak servers. In other words, There is no information in a PQ pertaining to whether a cache is members only or not.

However, I can easily provide current day information - There are 163 members only caches in Maine right now. :p

TeamHorwich
05-04-2009, 09:04 AM
you can select "are for members only" in PQ's...my search came up with 162...I also think the new "Cache Register" app from Delorme will only work for premium members because it uses the PQ's to send to the pn40...

brdad
05-04-2009, 10:49 AM
you can select "are for members only" in PQ's...my search came up with 162...I also think the new "Cache Register" app from Delorme will only work for premium members because it uses the PQ's to send to the pn40...

You are correct, filtering a PQ is the easiest way to determine the number of members only caches. But once those files are sent to you, there is no way of telling they are members only.

I would imagine if the Cache Register app does not allow manual entry, or single cache GPX files (which IIRC can be downloaded by non-premium members), that someone will find a way to get the data in. I can't imagine Delorme would limit their customers to only premium members, but maybe I am wrong. They are in business to make money, making the app usable by anyone makes the most sense.

However, just like as in GSAK, it is much much more efficient to download 500 caches at once than it is one at a time!

robt
05-04-2009, 12:44 PM

From what I have been told and seen Cache Register works with a GPX file and loads the data from it. I did not get a chance to play with any of the features and am waiting to get a copy as it looks like a better way to deal with loading the PN- series GPS also adds new functionality to the GSPS that is only avalible if you load single points or from topo 8.

Note: at this time I do not think it has but for working with the data in the file but that is what I have GSAK for. Now I could be wrong on this.

robt
05-04-2009, 12:50 PM
You are correct, filtering a PQ is the easiest way to determine the number of members only caches. But once those files are sent to you, there is no way of telling they are members only.

I would imagine if the Cache Register app does not allow manual entry, or single cache GPX files (which IIRC can be downloaded by non-premium members), that someone will find a way to get the data in. I can't imagine Delorme would limit their customers to only premium members, but maybe I am wrong. They are in business to make money, making the app usable by anyone makes the most sense.

However, just like as in GSAK, it is much much more efficient to download 500 caches at once than it is one at a time!

The easiest way to add single caches would be to download direct from Geocaching.com just as you do for a Garmin. That tool is allready avalible but I do not see a reason that it would not load a 1 cache GPX file but to me that would be a waiste of time. I was not lead to belive that Cache register was going to be a replacement for GSAK at least in it's current version. But then As with my last post I am not the expert and am only going on what I saw of the program this weekend and they would not even let me play with it :) I think Gobler is a beta tester for them and he may know more.

TeamHorwich
05-04-2009, 01:14 PM
I'll have to check on my pn40 - because it shows all of the cache details, including size, terrain, hint, as well as complete description...it might also show whether it is a members only cache - not sure why it would matter at the point once it is in my gps'r...Delorme doesn't limit what you send thru Topo7 - Cache register is just a way to send pocket queries to the unit...haven't seen as many members caches lately...

brdad
05-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Once you have the cache in your PDA/GPSr/wherever, it makes no difference if it's members only or not, other than knowing it is!

robt
05-04-2009, 09:53 PM
I'll have to check on my pn40 - because it shows all of the cache details, including size, terrain, hint, as well as complete description...it might also show whether it is a members only cache - not sure why it would matter at the point once it is in my gps'r...Delorme doesn't limit what you send thru Topo7 - Cache register is just a way to send pocket queries to the unit...haven't seen as many members caches lately...

Topo 7 does not send all the info in the GPX file, it is missing the GC# but I am not sure what else it may not send. That is the reason that the log caches function does not work. Cache register is suposed to correct the issue or upgrade to topo 8