View Full Version : Hello from Bangor

drwhogrl
04-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi, I'm Wendy aka DrWhoGrl. Just wanted to say hello. I use to go caching years ago with a friend but just started up again when I got my own GPS for Christmas. I like looking for the caches that require some hiking and I am quite glad winter is over. :)

hollora
04-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Noticed some recent logs with your name. Welcome "back"!

Just did the 4 caches in Witherly Woods in Castine yesterday. These are a nice hike.

Team V3
04-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Welcome! Hope to see you around a lot on the forums. Its a good group of people here. I must say some of the best people I have never met! :)

brdad
04-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Welcome to the addiction and to this site. You have been busy!

cachecrashers4
04-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Hello and welcome back

drwhogrl
04-27-2009, 08:45 PM
I will admit I have been striving to get all of the caches in the Bangor area to try to keep up with my friend Masterson of the Universe.

EMSDanel
04-27-2009, 11:28 PM
At the rate you're going you'll make your goal of 100 caches very soon. Aim higher....you'll probably make 500 easy! Go for it....!

Ekidokai
04-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Hope to see you out on the Geotrails. Last year I only meet one person. This year I have meet 8.

masterson of the universe
04-28-2009, 09:26 AM
You'll surpass me quite quickly....Having Cosmo join the family has slowed me down quite considerably. 200 isn't hard to do when you have lots of free time.

pjpreb
04-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Welcome to caching and geocachingmaine! Hope to meet you at an event or on the trails some day! :)

Team V3
04-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Looks like you all are quite active in the Bangor area. Keep your eyes open for our three travel bugs that are going from cache to cache up there. :)

Hiram357
04-30-2009, 04:53 PM
So before we can allow you to be active on the site you have to pass the test... Who was a better Dr.?? Eccleston or Tennant?? :confused::rolleyes:

drwhogrl
04-30-2009, 04:58 PM
hehe...I would have to say Tom Baker was the best Doctor....but with the new series I did think Eccleston did a great job even if he only did one season...

Hiram357
04-30-2009, 05:06 PM
hehe...I would have to say Tom Baker was the best Doctor....but with the new series I did think Eccleston did a great job even if he only did one season...

ok, bonus points for noting the 4th incarnation... :rolleyes:

and it's a good thing you didn't say Tennant... :D

drwhogrl
04-30-2009, 05:24 PM
So do I pass? I do own a Tom Baker scarf...and I will admit I was happy when the new series included an episode that had Cybermen vs Daleks! maybe I should make a Doctor Who cache...

Hiram357
04-30-2009, 08:22 PM
So do I pass? I do own a Tom Baker scarf...and I will admit I was happy when the new series included an episode that had Cybermen vs Daleks! maybe I should make a Doctor Who cache...

I suppose you pass... A Dr. Who puzzle cache... that could be interesting, the possibilities would be endless. Maybe you could find a phone booth that looks like the Tardis, or maybe hide it behind a weeping angel statue... :D

Mainiac1957
05-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Just what the he!! are you two talking about??:p

Hiram357
05-01-2009, 07:13 AM

*sigh* poor poor brad, if we told you we'd have to kill you.... :p:p:p:rolleyes:;):D

firefighterjake
05-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Well this is an interesting development . . . never knew Hiram was a closet Dr. Who fan . . . but that much is obvious . . . makes me wonder who else. . . . I'm still waiting for "new" episodes . . . well new episodes for the U.S.

-- Incidentally, I loved the weeping angels . . . spooky.

-- And do I have to die if I admit I prefer Tennant over Eccleston . . . although it took awhile for me to get used to the change? Incidentally, in 2010 there is an 11th Dr.

firefighterjake
05-01-2009, 07:53 AM

It's a good thing I like you . . . Here's a link which explains things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Who

firefighterjake
05-01-2009, 07:54 AM
I suppose you pass... A Dr. Who puzzle cache... that could be interesting, the possibilities would be endless. Maybe you could find a phone booth that looks like the Tardis, or maybe hide it behind a weeping angel statue... :D

Sounds good in practice . . . but what if you blink?

becket
05-01-2009, 08:27 AM
my favorite will always be tom baker

Hiram357
05-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Sounds good in practice . . . but what if you blink?

don't blink!

-- And do I have to die if I admit I prefer Tennant over Eccleston . . . although it took awhile for me to get used to the change? Incidentally, in 2010 there is an 11th Dr.

Sorry Jake, I can't talk to you anymore.... and yeah, we will have to kill you. :D

I just can't get used to Tennant.... he's too goofy lookin. Eccleston was like McGyver/James Bond Tennant is more like The oldest hanson brother/papa smurf...

drwhogrl
05-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I can understand why Eccleston only did one season, he was worried about getting typecasted like Tom Baker did and I think if he did more he probably would have been since he fit the role so well.

Hiram357
05-01-2009, 01:36 PM
I can understand why Eccleston only did one season, he was worried about getting typecasted like Tom Baker did and I think if he did more he probably would have been since he fit the role so well.

yeah, but that would be one cool guy to be typecasted after! :D

drwhogrl
05-01-2009, 02:31 PM
hehe probably not good that this thread has turned into all Doctor Who...although I bet in England there are some Doctor Who related geocaches.... :)

brewmaine
05-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Found one but not in England
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?pf=&guid=fd1608a2-34d1-4e1d-81a0-518bb5f619db&decrypt=y&log=&numlogs=

Hiram357
05-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Found one but not in England
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?pf=&guid=fd1608a2-34d1-4e1d-81a0-518bb5f619db&decrypt=y&log=&numlogs=

nice!

by the way, I say you at the brewfest in Augusta, I recognized the shirt, but every time I saw it I was just about the front of a beer line (and I wasn't getting out...) Then I would try to find you where I saw you last and you were gone... everything was kinda blurry that day... :rolleyes:;):D

brdad
05-01-2009, 06:29 PM
A keyword search at gc.com comes up with only 3 caches when you search for Dr.Who, or 14 When you search for Tardis.

brewmaine
05-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Yes It was a fun time but I was a bit disappointed its nothing like the brew fest in Portland that one is much more fun but I still had a good time I was kinda hoping to meet a few cachers there that had said they were going I guess my shirt is a give a way but I wore my geocaching hat in hopes one of you might see it so we chat.

Hiram357
05-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Yes It was a fun time but I was a bit disappointed its nothing like the brew fest in Portland that one is much more fun but I still had a good time I was kinda hoping to meet a few cachers there that had said they were going I guess my shirt is a give a way but I wore my geocaching hat in hopes one of you might see it so we chat.

yeah, it wasn't what I was expecting, that's why we brought some of our own beer for before and after... and then we split up the tickets from our designated driver, so we got to make 15 stops instead of 10... :rolleyes::D:D:D

Hiram357
05-01-2009, 06:37 PM
hehe probably not good that this thread has turned into all Doctor Who...although I bet in England there are some Doctor Who related geocaches.... :)

So you see how this forum thing works now? It starts out as you making a greeting, and coming back to caching, then it turns to all about Dr. Who, and now it's about beer. Whenever a thread gets hijacked and turned into a beer thread it's usually at the fault of me or Bruce (where-r-we) if it's any other subject it's ok to blame Jake for it (firefighterjake) :D:D:D;):rolleyes:

brewmaine
05-01-2009, 06:38 PM
at the portland event they dont take it from your hand you just place it in the container after a while they dont even worry if you put one in and they give you 12 tickets at that one. I normly end up with a few more than 12 tastings lol and i still end up bringing home a number of tickets lol

drwhogrl
05-01-2009, 07:07 PM
a good beerfest is the one in Southwest Harbor, ME for Oktoberfest where all the Maine microbrewers attend and after you drink your fill you can pass out in your own tent. I always thought the one in Portland was kind of crowded. The most crazy one I attended was the Extreme Beer Fest down in Boston at the cyclorama put on by Beer Advocate :)

brewmaine
05-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Well I will agree with you there drwhogrl the Portland event has gotten very crowed over the years. Is there a link to the southwest Harbor oktoberfest?

drwhogrl
05-01-2009, 07:27 PM
http://www.acadiachamber.com/oktoberfest.html
It hasn't been updated for 2009, but I believe this year will be the 14th year. Pretty much every Maine micro brewer attends.

Hiram357
05-01-2009, 07:27 PM
ya know, there was talk a couple years ago of a homebrew/cache event, that idea has kinda fizzled out, but maybe there could be some more interest brewing... (pun intended) :D:D:D

brewmaine
05-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Hmm how would a homebrew caching event work?

kymeejay
05-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Another beer thread? I have to agree that the Oktoberfest in Southwest Harbor is pretty good. Last time we drew straws to determine the DD, this time we will have a tent. It's all about the planning ahead.

brewmaine
05-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Do they let you buy more tickets at that event?

Hiram357
05-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Another beer thread? I have to agree that the Oktoberfest in Southwest Harbor is pretty good. Last time we drew straws to determine the DD, this time we will have a tent. It's all about the planning ahead.

They allow tenting at the SWH brewfest??!?!?!?

drwhogrl
05-01-2009, 08:48 PM
They allow tenting at the SWH brewfest??!?!?!?
Yes just make sure you make a reservation first at Smuggler's Den and yes unfortunately for some you can buy more tickets or make friends with the brewmaster ;)
Wonder if there are any microbrew related caches since Maine has so many??

Team V3
05-02-2009, 10:13 AM
mmmmmmmmmm BEER. I think a beer related cache would be pretty cool :)

WhereRWe?
05-02-2009, 10:23 AM
mmmmmmmmmm BEER. I think a beer related cache would be pretty cool :)

Sheesh! A couple of years ago, I thought long and hard about a beer related event - a multi-location event along the lines of a "hash house harriers" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers) event.

But then I thought again and realized that it could get crazy... :D:D

Mainiac1957's "Beer & Wings" events have been fun...

HappyTogether
05-02-2009, 12:42 PM
ya know, there was talk a couple years ago of a homebrew/cache event, that idea has kinda fizzled out, but maybe there could be some more interest brewing... (pun intended) :D:D:D

If this event ever happens, just picture the scene for unknown passers by...

Tent city, laptops everywhere, GPS units in one hand, unmarked bottles in the other. A dozen brew kettles scattered around.

And a cardboard cutout of Tom Baker..

brewmaine
05-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Even if people didn't go to that event "though now I know about it I may try to go" we should just do a weekend gathering for caching and drinking and Dr Who gabbing LOL

Moonsouth
05-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Welcome to caching. Maybe I will see you along the trail sometime. And ya, you will blow your goal out of the water, good luck.

drwhogrl
05-03-2009, 10:39 PM
If this event ever happens, just picture the scene for unknown passers by...

Tent city, laptops everywhere, GPS units in one hand, unmarked bottles in the other. A dozen brew kettles scattered around.

And a cardboard cutout of Tom Baker..

haha that would be quite an event :)