View Full Version : Pet peeves

Team2hunt
04-29-2009, 07:20 AM
I will start this thread for those who wish to use it, and not hijack original threads. This was not my idea but I liked it enough to start it.

My pet peeve has always been: complaining while not providing a solution is just.....whining. And I hate that! :eek:

geocaching pet peeve: someone who can't find a cache and logs a note saying " couldn't find the container...it must be missing " .....keep looking and post a DNF! :confused:

I was sorry to see this cache go: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=03e2ac18-b889-402b-aba5-0fd70ea2e136

masterson of the universe
04-29-2009, 10:17 AM
My biggest pet peeve is not having the time I want to go out and get caches. I guess thats what I get for having a job and family...:rolleyes:

ltlindian
04-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Ditto to what masterson said. I want to take a day off just to go caching!

robt
04-29-2009, 01:34 PM
The problem I have is even though I am leaving early today and have the next 4 days off everyone keeps giving me things to do so I do not have time to cache. I am definatly goingto have to figure out how to get out of some of theese plans. :D:D:D

brdad
04-29-2009, 02:04 PM
My pet peeve has always been: complaining while not providing a solution is just.....whining. And I hate that! :eek:

Well, what is your solution to this????? Are you just whining??????? :D

Ekidokai
04-29-2009, 02:28 PM
I hate nano's.

drwhogrl
04-29-2009, 03:41 PM
I agree with hating nano's....and caches that are not kept up to date...just found out today that a stage is missing in Alex's Monster Multiple Nightmare (Nightmare #2) (Multi-cache) after a nice chat with the landowner who informed me that the cache is gone.

04-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Does anyone have the final on Alex's Monster Multiple Nightmare or the coords for the stage that would come after the Goulds Landing area stage? I really want to complete this one after having put time in on it in 2005 as well as the last couple days...I'd sure hate to see this one go unlogged, at least by me...lol.

dubord207
04-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Most on this site know that a "1" on the terrain means the cache is wheel chair accessible. On many occassions I have found so-called "1' caches that weren't even close to being accessible to folks with handicaps.

But what really irritates me is when I point out the mis-classification to the cache placer and they just ignore the suggestion to make the change. I have a friend who caches in a wheelchair and he has to go quite a process to get in and out of his van and when the cache is on the other side of a ditch, it just isn't right for him to have to be frustrated as a result of some lazy person's unwillingness to edit their cache attributes.:rolleyes:

fins2right
04-29-2009, 08:51 PM
My biggest pet peeve is not having the time I want to go out and get caches. I guess thats what I get for having a job and family...:rolleyes:

Seriously, this whole wife and kid situation is really cutting into my caching time! :D:eek::D Not to mention that a good chunk of the siding blew off my house last night, so guess what I'm doing Saturday. Siding, Deck, front steps, wife, kids. I say we pitch the whole thing, by a R/V and do nothing but cache. And drink beer.

Trick or Treat
04-29-2009, 09:28 PM
My peeve is when I spend forever looking for a cache and then read the next log after mine saying: "Easy find, spotted it as soon as I got out of the car, took all of 30 seconds start to finish".

Haffy
04-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Most on this site know that a "1" on the terrain means the cache is wheel chair accessible. On many occassions I have found so-called "1' caches that weren't even close to being accessible to folks with handicaps.

But what really irritates me is when I point out the mis-classification to the cache placer and they just ignore the suggestion to make the change. I have a friend who caches in a wheelchair and he has to go quite a process to get in and out of his van and when the cache is on the other side of a ditch, it just isn't right for him to have to be frustrated as a result of some lazy person's unwillingness to edit their cache attributes.:rolleyes:

There is also another answer to this predicament and it's here: http://www.handicaching.com/

hollora
04-30-2009, 09:13 AM
There is also another answer to this predicament and it's here: http://www.handicaching.com/

I had put that link on a number of the Maine Rose caches which I placed. Interesting - few people used the rating scale. The web site does have good information. Thanks for sharing the link Haffy!

vicbiker
04-30-2009, 09:48 AM
My peeve is when I spend forever looking for a cache and then read the next log after mine saying: "Easy find, spotted it as soon as I got out of the car, took all of 30 seconds start to finish".I know what you mean...Abbey's Cache was like that for me, after spending hours looking for it then reading where someone posted a log saying" saw this one while driving by on rt.302 at 60 mph in the dark ". One good thing to come from this was it made doing a certain cache of EMS Daniels a lot easier.

team moxiepup
05-01-2009, 08:57 PM
We have noticed lately that lots of the time folks are just signing their names to the log books on regular size caches.... no comments ie: nice trail, not even a TFTC scribbled in the log book. Maybe this is because folks have been logging lots of micros without space in the logbook to sign anything else. Even the online logs are a bit lean :(
We realize some folks don't like to write much but a TFTC is a good use of four letters.

BTW TFTT Thanks for the thread :D

Ekidokai
05-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Don't send me hate mail. I know a few people that can't write well. It isn't that they don't write anything, they just can't. I have noticed lately that a few are kind of slow even posting a log due to this.

Now comes the part for the real hate mail. My pet peeve is the garbage I find in caches. Rubber bands, dead corroded batteries, stuff like that.

fins2right
05-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Don't send me hate mail. I know a few people that can't write well. It isn't that they don't write anything, they just can't. I have noticed lately that a few are kind of slow even posting a log due to this.

Now comes the part for the real hate mail. My pet peeve is the garbage I find in caches. Rubber bands, dead corroded batteries, stuff like that.

I've come across a little of that. It does give me motivation to check my caches at least every couple of months :)

WhereRWe?
05-03-2009, 07:46 AM

Sheesh! Now you've pushed MY button! LOL! I agree - but I'd express my pet peeve in a broader sense - caches that haven't been maintained in YEARS, and have rusty metal "swag", soaked signature cards, etc! I fully believe that it's the cache owner's responsibility to either maintain their caches or let someone else adopt them. :mad::mad:

fins2right
05-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Letting my wife talk me into buying composite wood instead of good old fashioned 12X2 boards to finish my front steps. It's thinner, weaker, and I had to use twice as much, and pay twice as much for steps that are used mostly for a fire escape, if needed. This, with about 25 new caches published in Kennebec County this weekend. Why do I make such bad choices? :rolleyes:

Moonsouth
05-03-2009, 08:58 PM
I really hate it when there are a LOT of DNF's on a cache and there isnt an owner update. Is it there? Isnt it? Does it need maintenance...? Why have so many people not found it?? Grrr...Then the icon just sits there on my map taunting me....haha anyways....my 2 cents.

robt
05-03-2009, 09:16 PM
I really hate it when there are a LOT of DNF's on a cache and there isnt an owner update. Is it there? Isnt it? Does it need maintenance...? Why have so many people not found it?? Grrr...Then the icon just sits there on my map taunting me....haha anyways....my 2 cents.

Really depends on the Cache, There are a few caches that get allot of DNF's because they are just that hard. I know I logged 3 DNF's on Old 470 before I found it and then there are some of Terry's and Gobler's caches that I know many struggle with. Allot of it does reside with the cache owner to determine what the amount of DNF's need to be done on a cache as they are the ones that know just how difficult it could be.

brdad
05-04-2009, 06:31 AM
That phrase is probably my biggest pet peeve. It's actually two phrases.

The first phrase, "It's just a game" I agree with for the most part. The original geocache was more of an activity or at most a solitaire game - there was no competition - finding the cache was the reward. Nowadays, some play it that way and some make it into a competition with other cachers, which is fine. Others make it into a competition with those who are playing the solitaire version, which is not so good. Which leads us to the second phrase...

The "Let everyone play the way they want" phrase just makes no sense! It can't happen. Just as in real world situations, if there is not some order, very few are happy. Using some of the examples in this thread and from others, if you truly think people should play the way they want, they should be able to:

Log a note instead of a DNF if they assume a cache is missing;
Log any length log they like;
Place nanos, nearly impossible puzzles, or 200 stage multis;
Not bother to maintain or update their own caches;
Mark their caches with any D/T rating they want;
Leave garbage in caches, or take something and leave nothing;
Take TBs home with them because they are cute;
Remove caches that belong to other cachers they don't like;
Move a cache to a location they feel is where it should have been hidden;
Ignore cache descriptions and cross private property to get FTF faster or more caches in a time period (or just because they're lazy and want the short route);
Pee in caches;
Log caches they did not really find;
Log caches they did not even look for;
Log caches their dog "placed";
Delete valid found logs of other cachers;
Place caches anywhere without permission;
And so on!

Everything on this list has been done. There is no way you can let everyone play the way they want without it creating a situation where another cacher cannot play the way they want.

So then it comes back to the fact it's just a game. There is no need to get all wound up about it. But the notion that it should be fine to do what we want is way off base. How each of us play reflects on the game the way other people see and accept it. If we approach someone for permission to place a cache and their vision of caching is trash left in the woods or manic cachers disregarding instructions and crossing private property in order to be FTF, or many other negative images, they likely will not approve of a cache on their land.

What we do and how we play does make a difference in the quality of geocaching for the rest of us. We can't all play the way we want. We have to hold ourselves to some standards.

And in my opinion - I hate too many rules - So the best solution I have is to promote those practices which reflect positively on geocaching, and to politely disagree with those practices which negatively reflect on it. Give those quality caches a longer note explaining what you liked. Recognize those act of kindness by other cachers. Speak up but be polite when you think the game is being compromised. All of us has a slightly varied opinion as to what is right and what is wrong, so there will be disagreements, but there is a compromise. And remember, it's just a game!

brewmaine
05-04-2009, 09:22 AM
I agree totaly brdad!! I did find the example Log caches their dog "placed" pretty funny it made me laugh LOl.

WhereRWe?
05-04-2009, 11:49 AM
I agree totaly brdad!! I did find the example Log caches their dog "placed" pretty funny it made me laugh LOl.

I agree with Brdad also, as usual! LOL!

(Update on "The Dog": it is now ranked #121 worldwide with 7997 caches found. He {?} hasn't placed any caches since 2007, though.)

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

robt
05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
:DAnd you even missed the ever popular take Coins from caches and sell them on ebay. :D:D:D

05-04-2009, 02:18 PM
:DAnd you even missed the ever popular take Coins from caches and sell them on ebay. :D:D:D

Truly Robt,

"No really...It's only activated because I had it in my personal collection for taking to events for others to discover..." Then when you ask for or look at the serial number it shows that its been to like two caches with no discoveries...If I was rich, I'd buy them all and drop them back into circulation or ship em back to the owners.

Mapachi
05-05-2009, 09:31 PM
We have noticed lately that lots of the time folks are just signing their names to the log books on regular size caches.... no comments ie: nice trail, not even a TFTC scribbled in the log book. Maybe this is because folks have been logging lots of micros without space in the logbook to sign anything else. Even the online logs are a bit lean :(
We realize some folks don't like to write much but a TFTC is a good use of four letters.

I started caching in the winter, when it was too darn cold to write much more then your name and the date. I still only write that on the log but I make up for it with my extensive logs on line. My pet peeve is people who "cut and paste" ..TFTCSL on every cache they log on line....I mean, gee at least tell me the weather when you found it or something. I don't even mind..."Found quickly." But write something besides TFTCSL

Mapachi
05-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Maybe the cache owner KNOWS it's still there. I have a lot of DNFs on my Hobbit Land South Entrance cache. Sometimes three or four in a row. Lombard Micro is another one that gets a lot of DNFs (I adopted that one from Hirum357)

Mapachi
05-05-2009, 09:41 PM
How about when someone finds a whole bunch of caches all around one of your caches......you know they had to go by your cache, but nothing is logged....no DNF no note..nothing.......You know they must have looked...Or did they?

Mapachi
05-05-2009, 09:51 PM
That phrase is probably my biggest pet peeve. It's actually two phrases.

The first phrase, "It's just a game" I agree with for the most part. The original geocache was more of an activity or at most a solitaire game - there was no competition - finding the cache was the reward. Nowadays, some play it that way and some make it into a competition with other cachers, which is fine. Others make it into a competition with those who are playing the solitaire version, which is not so good. Which leads us to the second phrase...

The "Let everyone play the way they want" phrase just makes no sense! It can't happen. Just as in real world situations, if there is not some order, very few are happy. Using some of the examples in this thread and from others, if you truly think people should play the way they want, they should be able to:

Log a note instead of a DNF if they assume a cache is missing;
Log any length log they like;
Place nanos, nearly impossible puzzles, or 200 stage multis;
Not bother to maintain or update their own caches;
Mark their caches with any D/T rating they want;
Leave garbage in caches, or take something and leave nothing;
Take TBs home with them because they are cute;
Remove caches that belong to other cachers they don't like;
Move a cache to a location they feel is where it should have been hidden;
Ignore cache descriptions and cross private property to get FTF faster or more caches in a time period (or just because they're lazy and want the short route);
Pee in caches;
Log caches they did not really find;
Log caches they did not even look for;
Log caches their dog "placed";
Delete valid found logs of other cachers;
Place caches anywhere without permission;
And so on!

Everything on this list has been done. There is no way you can let everyone play the way they want without it creating a situation where another cacher cannot play the way they want.

So then it comes back to the fact it's just a game. There is no need to get all wound up about it. But the notion that it should be fine to do what we want is way off base. How each of us play reflects on the game the way other people see and accept it. If we approach someone for permission to place a cache and their vision of caching is trash left in the woods or manic cachers disregarding instructions and crossing private property in order to be FTF, or many other negative images, they likely will not approve of a cache on their land.

What we do and how we play does make a difference in the quality of geocaching for the rest of us. We can't all play the way we want. We have to hold ourselves to some standards.

And in my opinion - I hate too many rules - So the best solution I have is to promote those practices which reflect positively on geocaching, and to politely disagree with those practices which negatively reflect on it. Give those quality caches a longer note explaining what you liked. Recognize those act of kindness by other cachers. Speak up but be polite when you think the game is being compromised. All of us has a slightly varied opinion as to what is right and what is wrong, so there will be disagreements, but there is a compromise. And remember, it's just a game!
Well I agree with most of that...Lets say "It's Just A Game. Let everyone play the game the way they want...without breaking the rules of the game." If someone logs a cache they didn't find..they have to sleep with it...Not me. And there are no rules against logging a cache you didn't find. So what skin is it off my back?
Just using that particular peeve as an example.

Trick or Treat
05-05-2009, 09:52 PM

I'm glad you guys brought this one up. That's me; guilty as charged.

When we first started, I'd write long logs in person and not so much online. But then it seemed like owners don't get to all their caches to read the physical log so now I write longer logs online. The only exception is if a cache took a while to reach or if it's at a place where people will probably sit at for a while.

I guess I should give this one some thought...

brdad
05-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Well I agree with most of that...Lets say "It's Just A Game. Let everyone play the game the way they want...without breaking the rules of the game." If someone logs a cache they didn't find..they have to sleep with it...Not me. And there are no rules against logging a cache you didn't find. So what skin is it off my back?
Just using that particular peeve as an example.

Depends on what you consider rules or your interpretation of them. In the Logging of All Physical Caches (http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#loggingofallcaches) section of the guidelines, it clearly states "Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed."

However, there are no rules that specifically say you can't pee in a cache, or move a cache to a location you think is better, or take a TB and sell it on Ebay, and many others.

The skin of your back could be the future of Geocaching. Improperly placed or maintained caches can result in land owners not allowing caches being placed on their property. Unearned found logs on an active caches can make the cache owner assume the cache is there when it is not. But it's just a game, worst case scenario we go back to fishing or watching TV or whatever hobby we had before caching.

firefighterjake
05-06-2009, 07:29 AM
I started caching in the winter, when it was too darn cold to write much more then your name and the date. I still only write that on the log but I make up for it with my extensive logs on line. My pet peeve is people who "cut and paste" ..TFTCSL on every cache they log on line....I mean, gee at least tell me the weather when you found it or something. I don't even mind..."Found quickly." But write something besides TFTCSL

+1 . . . I always feel as though the time I spent to find a good place to put the cache, the time I spent to find a good hide, the money I spent to buy the cache container, log and swag and the time I spend to maintain the hide doesn't matter to these folks . . . all this cache was to them was a number.

. . . and like you, recently I've been just adding my name and date and if I took or left anything . . . whereas I make a real effort to personalize the on-line log entry . . . sometimes going on and on and on and on . . . I sometimes think I might bore the poor cache owner with my stories of "I Remember When . . . (i.e. I remember when I did some training here, I remember when this place was in operation, I remember when . . . well you get the idea.)

firefighterjake
05-06-2009, 07:32 AM
How about when someone finds a whole bunch of caches all around one of your caches......you know they had to go by your cache, but nothing is logged....no DNF no note..nothing.......You know they must have looked...Or did they?

Sometimes this is true . . . and sometimes not. Yesterday on a lunch break I went by a cache . . . I thought it was there, but for some reason it wasn't in my Palm's Cachemate file.

And then there are times when I might make a cursory search for a cache . . . spend just a few minutes and move on . . . if I'm in a hurry. In these cases I might not log a DNF whereas if I feel as though I've made a pretty good search and attempt and still couldn't find the cache I log a DNF.

pm28570
05-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Having not placed a cache, I can't comment from that side. I can tell you that often times, I will not deplete an area of available caches so that I always will have a cache or two to do regardless of the area. I'm still new at this and really, I'm still trying to figure out my style of caching.

Team2hunt
05-06-2009, 08:39 AM
However, there are no rules that specifically say you can't pee in a cache.

Do you REALLY think there needs to be a rule against this? :confused: This should come under the " I would never think of " geo-common sense. Those who would are vandals and usually do not follow any of the written rules anyway.

number seven
05-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Signing the cache is alright with me,but I do enjoy reading the log's on line.Sometimes I don't log a did not find.I'll probably be going back for another attempt,and then there are others that I just don't care for. I don't care for copy & past,but that's just me.Love this GAME --not enough time ~~~#7

brdad
05-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Do you REALLY think there needs to be a rule against this? :confused: This should come under the " I would never think of " geo-common sense. Those who would are vandals and usually do not follow any of the written rules anyway.

That's exactly the point I was trying to get across! My comment regarding peeing in caches was merely making a point that the rules alone are not enough to keep the game safe and fun. We need to uphold ourselves to personal standards in addition to the rules. In the opinion of most not stealing caches or cache contents should be common sense as well. In my opinion, it's common sense for a cache hider to ask themselves the question that was required when submitting a virtual cache - "What makes this location worthy of having a cache?" We all have different ideas about what common sense is (though I would hope the majority would consider not peeing in a cache common sense). We don't need the rule, we just need everyone to think about what they're doing and be respectful.

05-06-2009, 11:00 AM
I hate to play devils advocate but maybe the pee-ers were writing their name in the snow because the cache was frozen in its hiding spot? :eek::D

Have to say that would be pretty nasty. If I came across a pee'd cache I'd request it be archived right off so no one else had to experience it. If some jerk off did it once, I'm sure they'd do it again...

brdad
05-06-2009, 12:21 PM
I hate to play devils advocate but maybe the pee-ers were writing their name in the snow because the cache was frozen in its hiding spot? :eek::D

Have to say that would be pretty nasty. If I came across a pee'd cache I'd request it be archived right off so no one else had to experience it. If some jerk off did it once, I'm sure they'd do it again...

I thought about doing just that at a frozen micro once, and I even did go so far as to walk back half a mile to the car to get a bottle of water to melt it out (without success). Finally logged it later that year.

I'd more likely contact the owner of the cache as opposed to request archival in this situation. Needs Maintenance log would be appropriate IMO.

In the only instance of peeing in caches I know of in Maine, it was by 'non-cachers'. They had an account but were not really cachers. But I have heard of it being done elsewhere by cachers doing it when they didn't like the cache hider. Can't guarantee the truth or how they verified it, but I can see it happening.

fins2right
05-06-2009, 01:34 PM
I thought about doing just that at a frozen micro once, and I even did go so far as to walk back half a mile to the car to get a bottle of water to melt it out (without success). Finally logged it later that year.

I'd more likely contact the owner of the cache as opposed to request archival in this situation. Needs Maintenance log would be appropriate IMO.

In the only instance of peeing in caches I know of in Maine, it was by 'non-cachers'. They had an account but were not really cachers. But I have heard of it being done elsewhere by cachers doing it when they didn't like the cache hider. Can't guarantee the truth or how they verified it, but I can see it happening.

Seriously, if you are so mad at another cacher you feel the need to pee on thier cache, you need to get a life. :eek::) Part of the charm of the game is the fact that it is designed based on the honesty of the individual. I've placed 16 caches, and I check each one online once a week and physically every 3 months or so. I got a maintainance note on one just recently and I admit it took me a few days to get out and replace a wet log, but I did it as soon as I could. The poster was even nice enough to tell me that I did not need to disable it, but that it needed checking. It's my cache = it's my responcibility. It seems like all of the cachers I've meet at events or on the trail have been really nice. Even nicer considering I usually have a few kids in tow and this game seems to attract people who are past that stage in life (no offense intended, seriously) I just know that can bug some people. I play my part of the game has honestly as I can, and if some cannot, I really just ignore it.

WhereRWe?
05-06-2009, 02:43 PM
It's my cache = it's my responcibility.

HOORAY! I'm glad someone feels the way I do! LOL!

Even nicer considering I usually have a few kids in tow and this game seems to attract people who are past that stage in life (no offense intended, seriously) I just know that can bug some people.

I'm glad to see kids geocaching. Sheesh! Kids NEED to spend more time outdoors. LOL!

brdad
05-09-2009, 09:34 PM
What about people who ream another person out for going off topic one day, claims the OP's question was answered in the first reply, and that such unneeded posts should be referred to different thread - Only to do exactly the same thing themselves????

benandtina
05-11-2009, 12:06 PM
My peeve is litter.

Litter in general ticks me off. I've been known to stop random strangers and tell them that they "accidentally" dropped their trash.

We're fairly new to caching but the WORST litter situation we've seen while caching was at GC10DTY. The beach was beautiful but there were a bunch of empty bottles and cans :( We picked up what was there but I hate that people can be so insensitive and leave their junk lying around like that.

It's not that hard to pick up the trash before leaving... and if they recycled they would get back their bottle/can deposits! Makes no sense.

Team V3
05-11-2009, 01:07 PM
I have to admit. I am not active when it comes to promoting goodwill with the environment. I do hate when I see litter though. Caching has made me more aware and more sensitive to it. I have been wanting to attend a CITO and become better when it comes to this.

firefighterjake
05-11-2009, 03:18 PM
My peeve is litter.

Litter in general ticks me off. I've been known to stop random strangers and tell them that they "accidentally" dropped their trash.

We're fairly new to caching but the WORST litter situation we've seen while caching was at GC10DTY. The beach was beautiful but there were a bunch of empty bottles and cans :( We picked up what was there but I hate that people can be so insensitive and leave their junk lying around like that.

It's not that hard to pick up the trash before leaving... and if they recycled they would get back their bottle/can deposits! Makes no sense.

FFFarmer once found a cache of mine . . . and then proceeded to CITO the area . . . I think he actually made out OK financially on that geocaching run since he had a number of returnables from the party that was held at the area a day or two prior. ;) :)

Mainiac1957
05-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I have to admit. I am not active when it comes to promoting goodwill with the environment. I do hate when I see litter though. Caching has made me more aware and more sensitive to it. I have been wanting to attend a CITO and become better when it comes to this.

Might I suggest The 5th Annual Penobscot River Clean-up (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e17d1139-5ad0-4e90-97af-f7a0d1c7b60d) (GC1NC34) by Maine Geocachers (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=139598) (1.5/1.5)

brdad
06-19-2009, 06:31 AM
No Pet Peeve; just testing something. ;)

Hiram357
06-19-2009, 08:25 AM
No Pet Peeve; just testing something. ;)

geeze it really get's me peeved when people are just testing something.... :rolleyes:

I know my mother hated it, she would yell all the time, "WHY DO YOU KEEP TESTING ME!?!?!?" :D:D:D:D

firefighterjake
06-19-2009, 08:41 AM
geeze it really get's me peeved when people are just testing something.... :rolleyes:

I know my mother hated it, she would yell all the time, "WHY DO YOU KEEP TESTING ME!?!?!?" :D:D:D:D

I get peeved about folks who derail threads . . . oh wait a minute, that's me . . . man, I hate myself. :mad:;)

number seven
06-19-2009, 11:17 AM
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D you guy's crack me up....ha ha ha

Sudonim
06-19-2009, 01:25 PM
I get peeved about folks who derail threads . . . oh wait a minute, that's me . . . man, I hate myself. :mad:;)

The maddest I ever saw Hiram was that time someone tried to deALE a thread:D

firefighterjake
06-19-2009, 01:49 PM
The maddest I ever saw Hiram was that time someone tried to deALE a thread:D

The maddest I ever saw Hiram was when someone put a mushroom (and other assorted pizza toppings) into his Guiness . . . although a close runner-up was the time that someone dropped off a "poisoned" 6-pack of Guiness that he ended up dumping down the sink (I hear tell he nearly cried to see all that golden goodness go glub glub glub down the drain.) ;):D

Ekidokai
06-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Poisoned? How the heck did that happen?

Hiram357
06-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Poisoned? How the heck did that happen?

loooooooooooong story, I'd tell it but then folks would accuse me of takin another thread off topic.... man that peeves me (ha! i kept this one on topic!) :p:p:p

WhereRWe?
06-19-2009, 04:00 PM
loooooooooooong story, I'd tell it but then folks would accuse me of takin another thread off topic.... man that peeves me (ha! i kept this one on topic!) :p:p:p

Sheesh! Start a new thread! This sounds like an interesting story. ;);)

FFFarmer
06-19-2009, 09:37 PM
FFFarmer once found a cache of mine . . . and then proceeded to CITO the area . . . I think he actually made out OK financially on that geocaching run since he had a number of returnables from the party that was held at the area a day or two prior. ;) :)

That's true Jake! I made enough $$ to buy a 12 pack of my own that day! I've been back there a few times on my Ranger and the area is always good for a dollar or so. Between riding ATV's and Geocaching it can be a pretty nice little side job.

FFFarmer
06-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Sorry that was off topic..........my PP (pet peeve) is when you have a nice cache area (water falls, etc) and plenty of places to hide an ammo box size cache, and there is a MICRO hidden!

brdad
06-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Oh geez. Another one who prefers quality over quantity. What is this world coming to? :rolleyes:

TRF
06-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Oh geez. Another one who prefers quality over quantity. What is this world coming to? :rolleyes:

That is bold. :eek: Quality couldn't encompass a micro? I believe I understand your intent but I do think there are some "quality" micro-sized container caches. I've even logged a few "quality" virtual caches. ;)

WhereRWe?
06-20-2009, 06:57 PM
I believe I understand your intent but I do think there are some "quality" micro-sized container caches.

I agree. I think that our "WhereRWe? & RULOST2? Placed a Micro???" cache is a good one. ;);)

Haffy
06-20-2009, 08:50 PM
That is bold. :eek: Quality couldn't encompass a micro? I believe I understand your intent but I do think there are some "quality" micro-sized container caches. I've even logged a few "quality" virtual caches. ;)

And I even think we placed a quality micro as well. By the way was that cache ever taken care of? That was a cool micro!!! Or is it grown into the tree? :D

brdad
06-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Oh geez, can't even have fun in the pet peeve thread? Lighten up!

I have a micro myself, actually I guess it's listed as small now but when it was placed the small category didn't exist.

There are plenty of quality micros, there are plenty of not so quality other sizes.

However, and I'll speak for myself but can't help but think other people would say the same, I can list many more memorable caches as the size increases. I know not everyone caches for memories or enjoys being taken to places they would not have visited otherwise, but that's my preference most of the time.

Opalsns
06-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Sorry that was off topic..........my PP (pet peeve) is when you have a nice cache area (water falls, etc) and plenty of places to hide an ammo box size cache, and there is a MICRO hidden!

I can agree with you on that, with an exception...

Laughing Terry Caches!!!!!! I am LT's Fan when It comes to any caches. He has placed micros in the woods that were WORTH finding. Well thought out and fun . When BubbaBass and I go to his caches, we always sit and check out the place where the cache is. We are not for the numbers, we are for the treasure hunt. The Fun. I probabally won't due the Stud Mill Road series for vehicle reasons but I WILL do the Opalsns tribute. Because it'll be a fun micro for me. And There is always another 525 feet away spot for an ammo can.

FFFarmer
06-21-2009, 10:39 PM
I guess I need to futher explain now that I have started something. I don't have a problem with micros in areas that require stealth, like a statue or war memorial, etc. What I don't understand is when you place a cache in a nice area like a water falls, mountain top, etc. why place a micro? I would rather see a larger container so you could trade swag, drop TB's, and more importantly fill out a log with your adventure. I was not a huge fan of caches that are just randomly placed along the road on signs, gaurdrails, etc. That being said I have changed my tune a little after learning of wheelchair bound cachers that do these type, and as a matter of fact we found an area this weekend that would be a perfect place for a cache (even a micro), it is a gravel pit/pond in Greenville that is made for wheelchair access.

I guess the bottom line is: there are caches out there for everyone, read the logs and if it's not for you don't stop.

We had a GREAT weekend dodging rain drops, found 18 caches in just under 300 miles, had a nice meal on the trail, another FTF, did some cache maintenance, and I lost 10 pounds (6 of fat and a half gallon of blood).

My New PP (pet peeve): people who place caches near mosquito nests!

fins2right
06-21-2009, 11:31 PM

:D:D I just completed a cache last weekend in Bangor called Hidden Treasures. In the log I called it the Third Circle of Hell, which was a little rough, I admit. However, the 30+ skeeters that were boring through my shirt convinced me that I was right. Seriously, It was all that I could do to stop and sign the log. That's what I get for swamp caching. :eek::D

Opalsns
06-21-2009, 11:54 PM
I guess I need to futher explain now that I have started something. I don't have a problem with micros in areas that require stealth, like a statue or war memorial, etc. What I don't understand is when you place a cache in a nice area like a water falls, mountain top, etc. why place a micro? I would rather see a larger container so you could trade swag, drop TB's, and more importantly fill out a log with your adventure. I was not a huge fan of caches that are just randomly placed along the road on signs, gaurdrails, etc. That being said I have changed my tune a little after learning of wheelchair bound cachers that do these type, and as a matter of fact we found an area this weekend that would be a perfect place for a cache (even a micro), it is a gravel pit/pond in Greenville that is made for wheelchair access.

I guess the bottom line is: there are caches out there for everyone, read the logs and if it's not for you don't stop.

We had a GREAT weekend dodging rain drops, found 18 caches in just under 300 miles, had a nice meal on the trail, another FTF, did some cache maintenance, and I lost 10 pounds (6 of fat and a half gallon of blood).

LOL!!! Yup and the ones near Black Fly Amusement Parks!!!!!!

brdad
06-22-2009, 06:02 AM
I can understand more why people hide micros in the woods near waterfalls than at random stop signs. Actually, it's for the same reason people hide many micros. They can be inexpensive, the containers are readily available, most of the time they are easier to hide, they are light and can be carried in your pack and dropped on a whim, you don't have to pay to stock it, maintenance usually requires replacing the log, and several other reasons. Personally I prefer a larger cache when possible but if you're at a nice waterfall it's hard to complain.

And I know there are non-numbers related reasons for hiding micros at random road signs as well. For one.. ummm.... "Give back to the community" I guess. And maybe hiding for the numbers is good enough and I am wrong in thinking competition is sending this activity downhill. The disabled argument is a great argument for caches at places with low terrain. But I can't help but think there are disabled people who would like to be challenged and would like to see interesting, bizarre, or historical places over a light pole behind Wal-Mart. Just because a person is in a wheelchair doesn't mean they are not intelligent or don't like to be entertained. Or maybe any find is better than no find if you are disabled - I guess I can't verify that statement unless someday I am there. Becket, Hollora, and Cameo did a nice job with their series designed for wheelchair access, and I don't think it took a lot of extra effort to find locations with some value.

I was talking about a similar subject just the other day. We have lowered our standards through the years in many aspects of our lives. You can see things on TV you would not be allowed to not so many years ago. People wear clothes that would have been inappropriate previously. In a caching sense, even I am guilty of it - When I found the second cache placed at the city forest I met anther cacher and we discussed how silly it was to have two caches placed there. After all, the purpose of a cache was to take you to a place you didn't know before, and the first cache had done that job. Another time, I had done the "Smalls Falls" and "Below Smalls Falls" caches while parking at the same location - a twofer! It felt like cheating! It didn't even seem right to drive down the road and find another cache within 5 miles of another. And Virtual caches were often looked down upon, some even by me - But now I wish they were back because they were 10 times what some of these roadside caches are. My standards now are much lower. I can see where there is room for 5 or 6 caches in the city forest, and it's ok to get 10 caches from one parking area, and I think caches 1 mile apart are ok. :D

Hiram357
06-22-2009, 06:27 AM

I don't se why you have to be so negative... mosquitos need to eat too! ;):p:rolleyes::D

robt
06-22-2009, 07:12 AM

But that means that we will not be able to place a Cache anywhere in Maine. :D:D:D:D

darterkitfox
06-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Within the last week I have seen 3 caches that had computer logs that said, "I forgot a pencil", or "saw the cache but couldn't get to it", but they claimed them as finds. This March I went to a cache in Houlton and knew where the cache was in the V of a tree but it was frozen in. I did not log it as found. I went back up there last week and found it exactly where I thought it was. When I logged it, I noticed that someone that had come after me this spring said they couldn't get to it but logged it as a found. I guess the peeve is, I could go around saying something like that to half the caches and double my numbers but never even go to them. If you don't sign the log, you didn't find it.

Mainiac1957
06-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Within the last week I have seen 3 caches that had computer logs that said, "I forgot a pencil", or "saw the cache but couldn't get to it", but they claimed them as finds. This March I went to a cache in Houlton and knew where the cache was in the V of a tree but it was frozen in. I did not log it as found. I went back up there last week and found it exactly where I thought it was. When I logged it, I noticed that someone that had come after me this spring said they couldn't get to it but logged it as a found. I guess the peeve is, I could go around saying something like that to half the caches and double my numbers but never even go to them. If you don't sign the log, you didn't find it.

No signy, no loggy..

Haffy
06-22-2009, 06:51 PM

This is totally up to the cache owner if he wants you to be able to log it as a cache find or not. All he has to do is delete the log if he feels it is not a find for not signing the log. Pretty simple!!! I forgot a writing utensil at one time and ended up signing it with a muddy finger but it worked and I didn't feel guilty for not signing the log. I myself too feel if you don't sign the log then it is a DNF.

dubord207
06-22-2009, 07:22 PM
I have one cache that is quite challenging but the log gets wet a lot due to the nature of the cache container. I could archive it, but folks that find it get a kick out of it. Some cachers have logged indicating they could not sign the log but have correctly described it. So would anybody think I "violated" the spirit of the game by telling these cachers to log a find on my cache? And what's better, taking a ski pole to the top of a tupperware container frozen in the crotch of a tree, or making an honest statement to the caching world that you found it but couldn't sign the log without destroying the cover to the cache?

While signing the log is one of the goals, isn't finding the cache the real goal? Seems to me if a cacher described the cache but can't sign the log due to the myriad of factors that can prevent signing, then a "find" log is appropriate. If that sort of thing upsets you or you think it violates the way you think the game should be played, then fine, but please be kind and not overly negative to those who define a "find" in a different way then you.

Ekidokai
06-22-2009, 07:43 PM
To me one way or the other is fine. This is supposed to be fun.

My only peeve is people covering the cache up after they find it so good that it jumps the difficulty up a notch or two.

Oh yeah, I have put two fires out recently in the woods. I figure it isn't one of us, but that can be dangerous.

Opalsns
06-22-2009, 08:43 PM
What about this,
Bubba and I went to do a new cache, We found it We were the FTF. no one had signed the log. When we got home, someone had claimed it as a FTF, but they didn't sign the log book, but they got credit for the FTF.

Opalns

TRF
06-22-2009, 09:07 PM
What about this,
Bubba and I went to do a new cache, We found it We were the FTF. no one had signed the log. When we got home, someone had claimed it as a FTF, but they didn't sign the log book, but they got credit for the FTF.

Opalns

Well, was the unsigned claimee unable to sign due to having no fingers hands or arms? If that's the case put up a good argument and call that person dirty names and so on. (Whats the worse he can do to you) On the other hand if the unsigned claimee is a kickboxer who enjoys the use of all his extremities and thinks breaking boards in half with his hands is fun, congratulate him on his first to find.

Then again think on the whole of it and see if you really care or if it matters enough to lose any sleep over the whole matter then move on to the next cache.

:D:D:D:D:D

brdad
06-22-2009, 09:18 PM
As I have stated already in this thread, the Logging of All Physical Caches (http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#loggingofallcaches) section of the guidelines, it clearly states "Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed."

Of course it's up to the cache owner to enforce it, So it comes down to whether the finder and the cache owner think their actions make enough of a difference in how the game is played and portrayed by others. If we're willing to not bother to sign the logbook, why do we even get out of the car? If we don't bother to get out of the car, why do we even slow down? If we don't bother to slow down, why don't we just look at the cache page and log it as a find?

I have thought up a few caches where it's easy to get to and open the cache, but hard mentally or physically to get to the log book. But then I realize I'd be arguing finds with 80% of the people who visited the cache and couldn't trouble themselves to sign the log book. I get all the arguing I can handle right here. ;)

fins2right
06-22-2009, 09:26 PM
I can see it both ways. I can tell you that I signed a log recently with mosquitos crawling all over me and I was in and out fast. No date, no pen, just a broken pencil and my team initials F2R. That had to do. Shouldn't "100 feet from a swamp" be a catagory? :D:rolleyes::D

dubord207
06-23-2009, 06:36 AM
On those few occassions that I posted a find and couldn't sign, I have written a detailed explaination as to why I couldn't sign, frozen cover,unretrievable cache that I clearly identified as the cache, etc. For a cacher to claim a FTF, not sign and not offer a palpable reason is a bad precedent IMHO.

Hiram357
06-23-2009, 06:45 AM
on one occasion I found a cache, well, the remnants of the cache. I found the chewed up lid that had the name of the cache and coords written on it, and i found leftover peices of the container in a goundhog hole. I took a picture of me with the leftover and also posted a "needs maint./TLC" :D

Opalsns
06-23-2009, 07:25 AM
Well, was the unsigned claimee unable to sign due to having no fingers hands or arms? If that's the case put up a good argument and call that person dirty names and so on. (Whats the worse he can do to you) On the other hand if the unsigned claimee is a kickboxer who enjoys the use of all his extremities and thinks breaking boards in half with his hands is fun, congratulate him on his first to find.

Then again think on the whole of it and see if you really care or if it matters enough to lose any sleep over the whole matter then move on to the next cache.

:D:D:D:D:D

Hee Hee!!!!

Well, someone with no fingers, hands or arms are pretty armless!
They don't push my buttons!!
I'd give em a hand any day!!!

It's the kick boxers that I'll take on!!!!!!!!! But ONLY when their feet don't stink!!!!!! LOL!!

Opalsns

firefighterjake
06-23-2009, 07:26 AM
on one occasion I found a cache, well, the remnants of the cache. I found the chewed up lid that had the name of the cache and coords written on it, and i found leftover peices of the container in a goundhog hole. I took a picture of me with the leftover and also posted a "needs maint./TLC" :D

"I took a picture . . ." -- don't you mean your loyal sidekick and devoted follower FFJake (who so willingly acquiesed to go back to this cache after getting all teary-eyed about not doing this cache) took your pic? ;):D I seem to remember things much differently! ;):D

firefighterjake
06-23-2009, 07:30 AM
My own feeling is that if I don't sign the physical log or at the very least (in the case of a mushy soaking wet log) drop in a slip of paper with my name on it . . . I don't log the find . . . but that's just me . . . and it's the way I play the game. Folks who don't sign my logs get deleted . . . if and when I compare the logs on-line to the physical log.

That said, Dubord lays out a valid argument for allowing claims (whoa . . . it's almost as if he has some type of experience in presenting information in a concise, well-thought out logical manner ;) :) ) . . . and if it works for him then I see no problem with this . . . especially if it's the cache I think it is where the cacher would have to be pretty specific about the cache container and location (i.e. it would be more than it was in a tree, under a pile of sticks in the woods, etc.)

brdad
06-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Why is the need so bad for the find that people will log any find that they have not signed the log book on? If I came to a cache on a cliff and I could see the cache, maybe even touch it, and was sure it was the cache, but needed a rope to access it, how is that a find? I don't see that situation any different than one that is frozen in - unless you want to claim it's a seasonal thing, and that during normal weather you would have gotten it. In that argument, what if a cache was normally across a shallow stream but the day you go it is flooded, you can still see and maybe touch it, but the water is too deep to cross. Find or no find? Is a DNF so bad?

There is or used to be a cache in California IIRC - on a window ledge of a rock tower (similar to the one on Mt. Battie) that is subject reminds me of. It was clearly visible, but in order to get the cache you needed to bring a 10-12 foot ladder with you, and it was a fairly decent walk as I recall.

I have logged DNFs on several caches where the owner emailed and told me he'd allow a find on it, I have always refused.

hide_from_the_kids
06-23-2009, 09:58 PM
got pen sign log , got no pen go back to car and get one then sign log :D:D:D:D

brdad
06-24-2009, 05:26 AM
got pen sign log , got no pen go back to car and get one then sign log :D:D:D:D

...Write with soft rock, write with dark bark, write with blood if you must! :D

lexmano
06-24-2009, 08:11 AM

August 11, 2008 by law1646 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=49a4f6e6-6bfc-44be-a942-32cc94e71f29) (188 found)
Even with the additional clues it took awhile to find the cache. The GPS jumped around wildly. Not sure if the transmission lines effect the signal. Once the GPS settled down the cache was about 30 feet from the coords.

Happy to find the cache at last, only to find no writing implement in the cache and of course I forgot to bring one. We signed the log with charcoal from the parts of the burned wreck and a sea gull feather pen dipped in blackberry juice. They seemed to work well.

Despite the difficulty in locating we managed to pick enough blackberries for a couple of pies. We probably could have also picked that many blueberries but were focused on blackberry pie.

Thanks for the cache. Left a couple of pieces of swag for the next to find. Took nothing.
Law1646 & MaineSweetPea

Log on "There Once Was A Car" cache GC1BH4D

I loved the creativity showed by this cacher, those of you who get a chance to do a Law1646 cache, do not hesitate quality hides and legendary swag!

fins2right
06-24-2009, 10:09 AM

I actually considered chewing my finger for the required blood drop, but my wife found a pen first:rolleyes::D

brdad
06-24-2009, 11:03 AM
That's the devotion I like to see!

06-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Maybe someone should create a cache called Hepatitus and make sure not to include any writing utencils, just a pin, paper, and some band aids? :D

I'm all for dedication but if there is nothing to write with, take your picture with the log or cache in hand as a temporary log and go back later.

brdad
06-24-2009, 12:27 PM
But... if you're going to go back, why not just log the DNF and log it when you go back?

I'd be willing to bet a high percentage of cachers who would log it would not go back. Too much desire to get that smiley and move on to the next.

TRF
06-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Hmmm, now that you mention it, how do I know someone didn't sign the log on someone elses behalf? You see, I've heard rumor from my best friend's cousin on their long deceased great-grandmothers side that she knew of someone who logged many finds without ever leaving their sofa. Imagine the horror when I thought I heard that?!!!!

Da rules need to be drawn in blood.

Cache on!

brdad
06-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Hmmm, now that you mention it, how do I know someone didn't sign the log on someone elses behalf? You see, I've heard rumor from my best friend's cousin on their long deceased great-grandmothers side that she knew of someone who logged many finds without ever leaving their sofa. Imagine the horror when I thought I heard that?!!!!

Da rules need to be drawn in blood.

Cache on!

Ok, come on now. It's just as game! The only rule is the log has to be signed. It doesn't matter if it is signed by the actual cacher or if the cacher is even in the same state. :D

WhereRWe?
05-09-2010, 06:57 PM
My "pet-peeve button" has been pushed - HARD.

We brought a travel bug back from New Brunswick which is in a race with other TB's, and it's interim goal was to go to a Canadian Forces Base near Quebec City. We placed it in our "Old Canada Road" cache, which is on Route 201 - a direct route to Quebec. It was plainly marked "North Only" and had a laminated tag stating that it wanted to go to Quebec City.

Some (expletive deleted) cacher took it and brought it to the Bangor/Orono area.

Why??? It was clearly marked with a goal!!!

:mad::mad:

dubord207
05-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Well that sucks. These are people from the same place that brought us Jimmy Carter, what can you expect. They don't know North from South.

Maybe one of the active Bangor cachers can rescue the bug out of that cache. Mike can save it, it's on the way to SMR!

brdad
05-09-2010, 08:11 PM
That is strange Bruce. I've never seen a TB picked up and moved to the wrong location accidentally, like back home instead of an event in Augusta. :):):)

Another way to look at it is there are more cachers in the Bangor area, so there could be a possibility it would make it to it's goal quicker from Bangor!

WhereRWe?
05-10-2010, 07:51 AM
That is strange Bruce. I've never seen a TB picked up and moved to the wrong location accidentally, like back home instead of an event in Augusta. :):):)

Sheesh! I took it to the right location - I just forgot to let it out for discovery. And besides, I am bringing it to the next location on it's tour! LOL!