View Full Version : Looking for a hiking/backpacking partner this weeekend

attroll
04-29-2009, 11:41 AM
I am heading out Friday morning to do some hiking on the Appalachian Trail and coming back Saturday. I will be going to Andover Maine and hiking the AT from Surplus Pond to Hall Mountain Lean-to and spending the night Friday night at the lean-to and come back Saturday.

If anyone is interested in coming along please let me know. I sure would appreciate the company. I can pick you within a reasonable distance or work on carpooling or anything else.

Ekidokai
04-29-2009, 03:09 PM
I'd like to go but I'm sure I'd slow you down way too much.

attroll
04-29-2009, 06:45 PM
We do not have to hike together. We can just meet at the shelter if your that worried. Besides your not going to slow me down I am way out of shape. It is only a four mile hike to the shelter anyways.

Ekidokai
04-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Your making it sound more intriguing. I'll have to say no at this time. I'm just not prepared.

attroll
04-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Your making it sound more intriguing. I'll have to say no at this time. I'm just not prepared.
Excuses, excuses.

robt
04-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Rick,

I was considering it but looks like I am going to have to babysit.

RobT

attroll
04-30-2009, 06:49 PM
No problem Rob, If no one takes me up on this I have another plan of attack. I will not turning this into an over niter at the lean-to. Seeing that this was basically a scouting mission for my section of the Appalachian Trail to see if I need to do any maintenance I will just cancel the night at the lean-to. Instead I will carry my chain saw in with me all the way to the lean-to tomorrow morning and do what needs to be done (hopefully not much) and carry everything all the way back out. That will turn it into a eight mile trip instead of four each day. Then I will camp at Surplus Pond where my truck is parked, which is a very secluded pond that you drive drive down logging roads to get to.

If anyone wants to make it a one day trip and just walk with me for eight miles we can do that too. I will be leaving tomorrow morning sometime.

attroll
05-01-2009, 08:49 AM
This rain screwed everything up and now I think I will just stay home today.

brdad
05-01-2009, 08:55 AM
You can come help clean out my garage...

attroll
05-01-2009, 03:59 PM
I am going to head up in the morning for the day if the weather is good. I really wanted to go today and come back in time for the Delorme event tomorrow but the weather screwed that up. I just got back from purchasing a smaller chain saw. The big Stihl I have was just to big to be carrying four miles in and four miles out. I bought a smaller Stihl.

WhereRWe?
05-01-2009, 05:08 PM
If anyone wants to make it a one day trip and just walk with me for eight miles we can do that too. I will be leaving tomorrow morning sometime.

Sheesh! Let me know if you want to make a 1-2 mile walk - all downhill. LOL!

Ekidokai
05-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Good tool.

attroll
05-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Well I guess it was a good thing no one wanted to come along today. The trip was a failure. I walked about two miles in and had to turn around because there was still snow and I was post holing up to my knees.

dubord207
05-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Rick, you sure you weren't hiking up White Nitro on Sugarloaf? Everywhere we went today there were blackflies and NO snow! I do like the expression "post holing!" Sounds kind of legal!:)

attroll
05-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Rick, you sure you weren't hiking up White Nitro on Sugarloaf? Everywhere we went today there were blackflies and NO snow! I do like the expression "post holing!" Sounds kind of legal!:)

Nope I was up out of East B Hill Road in Andover about 4 miles in on a logging road and then two miles into the Appalachian Trail heading towards Wyman Mtn. There were no black flies there at all. I don't know where you were today. We have the black flies around the house here now but they have not reach the biting stages yet, just the aggravating stag where they buzz around your head is swarms.