View Full Version : Where do you get your cache stuff?

fins2right
05-02-2009, 04:38 PM
I've put out a couple of ammo cans this spring and have three more sitting on my desk, labled, painted, and almost ready. I want to fill them up with swag before I send them into the wild. Does anyone have a specific place they shop for stuff? Or does Wally World fit the bill? I've done a beach theme with beach balls, sunglasses ect. and a wristband theme with a bunch of those yellow "livestrong" bracelets ect. Any other ideas?

cachecrashers4
05-02-2009, 04:56 PM
We have a fishing themed cache. I got some flies from a fly tying friend, some lures and bobbers from Wally World, plastic fish from The Grasshopper Shop, etc. I just keep a lookout for things while we're out and about. If I don't use the stuff for loading up a cache, I'll use it for swag.

Haffy
05-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Dollar general or the dollar store works for me.

robt
05-03-2009, 07:59 AM
A few more places to get cheap swag, Marden's, Renny's and Big Al's are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. Gobler allways has a bunch of swag to give away at his Christmas event too. Much of my swag I get from work. All the Promo Junk they Give us.

Trick or Treat
05-10-2009, 12:19 AM
It's not specifically swag, but...I was in DeLorme the other day checking out the PN-40 and saw they sell the premade Caching Lock and Locks, Rite in the Rain log books in a few sizes, ID stickers, TB tags and other assorted stuff. Great if you need just one of these things and don't want to pay the shipping to order online.

hollora
05-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Oriental Trading company has some great sales and often offers free shipping. They have a website. Also, I have bought from a lot of on-line companies. If you watch on line sales and for free shipping offers, you can often save some money.

Also, the Marden's and other discounters like Ocean State Job Lot sometimes have some great items.

brdad
05-10-2009, 03:36 PM
I keep an eye out everywhere I shop for anything at a good value. Many stores have bargain bins or discount aisles. Though I prefer to find and leave signature items. I have a whole big jar of them!

http://bytethebullet.com/geocaching/images/animation3.gif

pjpreb
05-11-2009, 12:59 PM
I keep an eye out everywhere I shop for anything at a good value. Many stores have bargain bins or discount aisles. Though I prefer to find and leave signature items. I have a whole big jar of them!

http://bytethebullet.com/geocaching/images/animation3.gif

No snowflakes in there? :rolleyes::p

Haffy
05-11-2009, 01:39 PM
That was taken before the snowflake era....LOL ,,,no pink bandanas either?

Listener83
05-12-2009, 04:49 PM
I haven't actually done this yet, but I'm thinking about leaving something I've created in the cache. As a writer that would be a few copies of one of my unpublished short stories. Say, three to five for the first few cache finders and then archive the cache after that if it goes barren.

It's cheap and has potential to become a series.

Listener83
05-12-2009, 04:51 PM
A bit off topic, but have you seen the black "live wrong" wrist bands? A bike shop in AZ was selling them for a while. Maybe a wristband themed cache is in order.

fins2right
05-12-2009, 07:46 PM
A bit off topic, but have you seen the black "live wrong" wrist bands? A bike shop in AZ was selling them for a while. Maybe a wristband themed cache is in order.

That's actually what I have decided to do. I've started to collect various different wristbands. I have not come across the "Live Wrong" ones yet, but I found the idea to be twistedly funny :D

brdad
05-12-2009, 10:10 PM
I haven't actually done this yet, but I'm thinking about leaving something I've created in the cache. As a writer that would be a few copies of one of my unpublished short stories. Say, three to five for the first few cache finders and then archive the cache after that if it goes barren.

It's cheap and has potential to become a series.

I think the story idea is a unique one, but when you place a cache gc.com expects the cache to have some permanence. If you post a cache expecting to archive it two months later, it may not get approved. You could choose to keep adding a copy of the story every so often, or fill it with traditional cache items when the time came.

hollora
05-13-2009, 08:49 AM
I think the story idea is a unique one, but when you place a cache gc.com expects the cache to have some permanence. If you post a cache expecting to archive it two months later, it may not get approved. You could choose to keep adding a copy of the story every so often, or fill it with traditional cache items when the time came.

There were a couple of caches down Rockland way a while ago that going from cache to cache you got to read a love story (if you wanted). It was kind of fun. I don't know if they are all still out but some were in cool places.

I enjoy watching the creativity of folks in naming their caches, coming up with themes and even fashioning containers. Keeps things constantly changing.

benandtina
05-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Maybe laminate the pages so they are permanent and just ask people to read and leave? People could then comment in the log book about the story!

Or, you can go all kinds of geeky with it. Maybe you can do something like post the story on a website/blog and somehow restrict access to it... either by making the URL a code or by making the page password protected. You could stick instructions on how to access the story in your cache description and the cache itself. Kind of like the puzzle caches!

People wouldn't be able to read your story immediately but they'd be able to go home and read it. Maybe FTF will get the hardcopy and everyone else gets to go look online?

You could do a signature item or something that has instructions but then you'd be back to having to replenish your cache with signature items or turning it in to a traditional cache after people have taken the item. If you do go the signature item route, you could even leave a note on the website asking people to pass your signature item on to another cache if they like the story. It wouldn't so much be a FTF prize any more, but it would still be fun.

benandtina
05-13-2009, 09:03 AM
There were a couple of caches down Rockland way a while ago that going from cache to cache you got to read a love story (if you wanted). It was kind of fun. I don't know if they are all still out but some were in cool places.

I enjoy watching the creativity of folks in naming their caches, coming up with themes and even fashioning containers. Keeps things constantly changing.

That sounds so cool!!!!! I think I found it: GC17FRR

It looks like there have been a lot of DNF recently :(

Listener83
05-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Good point.

I was bouncing ideas regarding this off a friend last night. One thing we came up with was to leave a page of the story in each cache (I didn't read about the cache mentioned further down that does this until just now). The number of copies of the page in the cache could easily be 50/cache, giving it a decent life span, particularly if other cachers put stuff in, or at least don't remove the log.

I think one aspect of the story idea I'd like to include is that the first X number of teams/individuals to find it would get the swag, the rest just get to sign the log.

Listener83
05-13-2009, 09:46 AM
I like the URL ideas. Then I could figure out which pages are being found and which ones aren't.