View Full Version : I wont be ignoring you.

Ekidokai
05-04-2009, 10:30 AM
In light of some things that have transpired over the last few months and very recently, this will most likely be my last post.

I'll probably still donate, because I still think this site is well worth it but things just go way wrong too fast.

At the risk of steering up a huge hornets nest, which is why I started a completely different thread I need to convey a few things.

I am a person that will read or talk to someone in person and walk away with a positive experience no matter how the interaction was intended. I take things at face value and will not look or read between the lines. Resulting in a mostly carefree existence.

I can not worry about how I write things or say things for fear of offending or irritating someone. Most anything written or said will be interrupted as the other party sees fit. I never look for an attack or slight and therefore I can not spend my time worrying about how people will take things. I don't think I could even if I wanted to.

I have seen way to many times on here and elsewhere when peoples hackles are raised and the teeth come out and the barking starts. So, I think it best that I just do my best to stay right out of it completely.

From every little word spoken by politicians ripped apart and analyzed and put into a context to suit a persons agenda, to taking a simple light hearted poke or statement and blowing it up to a foreseeable attack on someone.

I will read what is posted and said then smile and even laugh, because I always look at things from a light hearted and carefree position. Looking for the bad in everything and jumping on statements in a negative manner would sour my day and that would be bad.

So I appreciate all the help you have offered, but I'm just not up to the that kind of task.

Thanks
Mike.

Moonsouth
05-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I see where you are coming from. Although this hasnt happened directly to me I have seen these kinds of things in the forums. I think when dealing with people in general there will always be this kind of thing. Im sorry that you are leaving though. I enjoy reading some of your comments, especially the occasional thrown in I hate nanos, haha. Well take care and dont worry to much about how others take what you say. First amendment type o' stuff. :)

masterson of the universe
05-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I haven't been on here anywhere near us much as some of you but I've read through just about every old post on here. It almost seems like most of the little spats and people saying they are leaving the site always involve a select few? :confused: I hope thats not a trait that comes with being a "veteran" cacher or I'll slow down even more.

Team V3
05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Well I for one will be missing your enthusiasm and I hope at some point you feel up to posting again. I have nothing but respect for everyone on this forum. And I think every person brings something different to the forums as well as the game.

brdad
05-04-2009, 08:06 PM
I'd be happy to see you consider posting at least once in a while. You have provided positive input to several if us (still need to update my article!) and like your wit even when I'm not sure I understand it. ;)

EvilHomer
05-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Well Mike I'll tell you what, as a veteran of BBoards of various different types: Snowmobiling, ATVing, Pro-Wrestling, Guitars, ETC ETC ETC. I have seen what you are talking about for over ten years now. I stopped my regular contributions to a lot of sites because of the CLIC-y nature of some sites, or the cyber bullies, or the simple morons who are there to prove some point. I have been caught up at times and have not been proud of my behavior, but as I grow older and mature I see that it was fooling to engage in such "fights" over a stupid computer. Annomimity can be a scary emboldening beast. So I know what your talking about Mike. I have sworn off boards before too, but I find myself throwing in on occasion. Just pick your battles. :)

we3beans
05-05-2009, 10:27 AM
I'd like to second EvilHomer. Best to you Eki

firefighterjake
05-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Well Mike I'll tell you what, as a veteran of BBoards of various different types: Snowmobiling, ATVing, Pro-Wrestling, Guitars, ETC ETC ETC. I have seen what you are talking about for over ten years now. I stopped my regular contributions to a lot of sites because of the CLIC-y nature of some sites, or the cyber bullies, or the simple morons who are there to prove some point. I have been caught up at times and have not been proud of my behavior, but as I grow older and mature I see that it was fooling to engage in such "fights" over a stupid computer. Annomimity can be a scary emboldening beast. So I know what your talking about Mike. I have sworn off boards before too, but I find myself throwing in on occasion. Just pick your battles. :)

Say it isn't so Evil Homer! ;):D I still miss your presence at Sledmaine!

cachecrashers4
05-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Ditto what everyone else said. We'll miss you man.

EvilHomer
05-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Say it isn't so Evil Homer! ;):D I still miss your presence at Sledmaine!

You can thank Matt Polestien for that. :( I dont know why they just dont call it Sledpolstein.com. If the guy dictates who can post what, then just give him the site and call it his. That whole thing was ridiculous and showed just how UNPROFESSIONAL those guys are. It still burns my A**! Say hi over there for me Jake! :)

attroll
05-11-2009, 12:08 PM
You can thank Matt Polestien for that. :( I dont know why they just dont call it Sledpolstein.com. If the guy dictates who can post what, then just give him the site and call it his. That whole thing was ridiculous and showed just how UNPROFESSIONAL those guys are. It still burns my A**! Say hi over there for me Jake! :)
I have not been over to SledMaine now for almost two years.

firefighterjake
05-11-2009, 03:19 PM

Ah yes, I remember the post well.

You're still missed.

And by the way, congrats on Daughter #2 . . . read about that in the MSA Newsletter.

Moonsouth
05-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Isnt this a thread about Mike....not sledmaine....?

EvilHomer
05-13-2009, 10:02 AM

Its called a tangent. Get used to it. : )

firefighterjake
05-13-2009, 03:55 PM

Par for the course . . . we're so easily distracted. ;):D

Haffy
05-13-2009, 04:31 PM
WE??? You mean YOU!!!!! Get your facts straight.....:eek::D

Hiram357
05-13-2009, 08:23 PM
WE??? You mean YOU!!!!! Get your facts straight.....:eek::D

hey now, speak for yourself, the rest of us are easily dist... oh look a butterfly... :rolleyes:;):D:D:D

firefighterjake
05-14-2009, 07:30 AM
hey now, speak for yourself, the rest of us are easily dist... oh look a butterfly... :rolleyes:;):D:D:D

Yeah, that's right . . . most folks here are pretty good at staying focused, keeping the eye on the ball, looking ahead to the end goal . . . now what were we talking about? ;):D

fins2right
05-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Yeah, that's right . . . most folks here are pretty good at staying focused, keeping the eye on the ball, looking ahead to the end goal . . . now what were we talking about? ;):D

It's small, shiny objects that distract me. :D

firefighterjake
05-14-2009, 03:45 PM
It's small, shiny objects that distract me. :D

For me it's anything that's edible.

For Hiram it's anything with beer.

:D

Opalsns
05-14-2009, 04:02 PM

I know , it's all most feels like pushing the new player out of the huddle, doesn't it!!!

Par for the course is right!!!!!

Opalsns
05-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Its called a tangent. Get used to it. : )

Tangent
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For the tangent function see trigonometric functions. For other uses, see tangent (disambiguation).

Tangent to a curve.In geometry, the tangent line (or simply the tangent) to a curve at a given point is the straight line that "just touches" the curve at that point (in the sense explained more precisely below). As it passes through the point of tangency, the tangent line is "going in the same direction" as the curve, and in this sense it is the best straight-line approximation to the curve at that point. The same definition applies to space curves and curves in n-dimensional Euclidean space.

Similarly, the tangent plane to a surface at a given point is the plane that "just touches" the surface at that point. The concept of a tangent is one of the most fundamental notions in differential geometry and has been extensively generalized — see Tangent space.

In trigonometry, tangent is the slope formula that combines the rise and run. The tangent function takes an angle and tells the slope when the length of the line is 1. For more information on the tangent function, see trigonometric functions.

The word "tangent" comes from the Latin tangere, meaning "to touch".

So are you saying the topic direction was changed or are you Touching people ? LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!

Opalsns

WhereRWe?
05-14-2009, 04:07 PM
For me it's anything that's edible.

For Hiram it's anything with beer.

Mmmmmmm... Beer..... :D:D

Mainiac1957
05-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Did I hear someone say beer??

Hiram357
05-14-2009, 08:13 PM
I LOVE BEER! Where's the beer? :confused:

brdad
05-14-2009, 08:31 PM
So are you saying the topic direction was changed or are you Touching people ? LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!
Opalsns

Sometimes you have to search deeper than the traditional dictionary, which generally does not have have enough variations of most words. I'm quite certain he was referring to a polar bear.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tangent

brewmaine
05-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Beer ?? Did I hear someone say BEER!!!! mmmmmmmm Beer

Hiram357
05-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Sometimes you have to search deeper than the traditional dictionary, which generally does not have have enough variations of most words. I'm quite certain he was referring to a polar bear.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tangent

mmmmmmmm! polar bears go great with beer! :D:D:D:rolleyes:;)

EvilHomer
05-18-2009, 11:47 AM
I stand by my TANGENT! MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm..................BEER!

hide_from_the_kids
05-18-2009, 11:58 AM
mike i enjoyed seeing you at the cito. i look forward to your next post.

did someone say beer?:)

Ekidokai
05-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Beer tastes horrible. Give me a diet Moxie any day and a molasses donut.

brdad
05-19-2009, 01:47 PM

Can't help but agree to that!

06-09-2009, 08:42 AM
It appears that the real reason Ekidokai hasn't spent much time posting on here is because he's been out stashing tupperware. I did an 04401 search this morning looking for something to do on my lunch break today and was amazed to find 11 new caches published, all in the Bangor City Forest. Someone is going to have quite the run of FTF's...

hollora
06-09-2009, 09:57 AM
It appears that the real reason Ekidokai hasn't spent much time posting on here is because he's been out stashing tupperware. I did an 04401 search this morning looking for something to do on my lunch break today and was amazed to find 11 new caches published, all in the Bangor City Forest. Someone is going to have quite the run of FTF's...

If only I had a bike - but if I figured correctly it's over 6 miles of hiking. One cache at a time for this gal. I also believe it's not tupperware but may be some of those nice ammo cans. Fun for sure. Thanks Mike!:)

EvilHomer
06-09-2009, 10:13 AM
It will be interesting to see if the usual FTF suspects are able to pull this one off.

Sudonim
06-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm stuck at work until 6pm, I know 1 FTF hound that gets out hours earlier... :(

fins2right
06-09-2009, 01:07 PM
If only I had a bike - but if I figured correctly it's over 6 miles of hiking. One cache at a time for this gal. I also believe it's not tupperware but may be some of those nice ammo cans. Fun for sure. Thanks Mike!:)

I was going to hit up the BCF next week and lo, all these new caches. The question is: How much walking/hiking should I be ready for?

brdad
06-09-2009, 03:24 PM
I was going to hit up the BCF next week and lo, all these new caches. The question is: How much walking/hiking should I be ready for?

The scale on the bottom of the image below is 800' but it's hard to read...

Check on the status of the caches before heading out. Currently, 3 are disabled:

B.C.F. Bog Brook Troll (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8cc6d585-23ad-4649-bfc2-a3743f06592c) (GC1J0MV) by EvilHomer and Charlotte (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=1270641) (2.5/1.5)
B.C.F. East Trail (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b7bb217e-346e-4f17-9541-cf38a4fe8ddc) (GC1BDME) by mainiac1957 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=139598) (1.5/2.5)
B.C.F. West Trail (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9ae43c34-662a-40a8-836f-fd6cf35e17be) (GC1BDM5) by mainiac1957 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=139598) (1.5/2)

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/bcfcaches.gif

06-09-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that it won't be any of the regular First to Finders that get to snag these. You all with your phone alerts must have been going nuts seeing these come into your phones...lol:D

brewmaine
06-09-2009, 04:47 PM

EWWWW Moxie you would have to slit my throat and pour it down to get me to drink that stuff. Now good beer taste good and I'm not talking about bud or some commercial brand like that.

Sudonim
06-09-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that it won't be any of the regular First to Finders that get to snag these. You all with your phone alerts must have been going nuts seeing these come into your phones...lol:D

Nicely played:p
If it isn't raining (too hard) when I get out of work, I am going to follow your footsteps for a bit.

hollora
06-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Now that sure is one great FTF run - congrats to the Masterson!

Ekidokai
06-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm just glad he didn't get eaten by the bear, attacked by the hawk or owl, get lost on the other side, grabbed by the bog creatures or anything else out there.

06-09-2009, 08:19 PM
This was just a great series and if you have one, I highly recommend using a bike (not a street bike) as this saved me quite a bit of time. Walking will work just fine obviously but when it came to some of the distances at later stages, it helped quite a bit. It sure could get done faster, but there is a lot more to see than i figured would be out there so I stopped in a couple places. I don't get out as much as I'd like so its not often that I get to see much other than micros so that was another reason this was nice. It was also great to do this on a weekday as I only ran into the lady telling me about the bear right at the start and one other person with a dog.

In regards to the bear, it go me thinking. That's the first time I've been out there when someone spotted one and would have had no idea what to do if I came across it. Are you supposed to make noise so as to not spook them or just try and ignore them and keep moving?

brdad
06-09-2009, 08:31 PM
JJAVe57yH-o

TRF
06-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Brdad has WAY too much time on his hand. Awesome video though. I actually learned something. My kids are bears!! Those tactics in avoiding getting my head ripped off should work around bedtime. Now where can I get that bear repellant spray?

06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
And now I know...LOL. :D That was a great video. Thanks.

Gob-ler
06-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Now if I was a little bit closer - - - I might have given you a run for your Moxie!

Congrats on a fine FTF Run and thanks to for all the new caches.

brdad
06-10-2009, 05:01 AM
Just remember, you don't have to run faster than the bear, you only have to be able to run faster then your friend.

firefighterjake
06-10-2009, 07:19 AM
Great video . . . fun and educational at the same time.

In Alaska where my sister lives the tourist traps actually sell "bear bells" that folks are supposed to attach to their hiking boots, hiking packs, etc. with the idea that the bears will hear the bells and stay clear of folks . . . of course all the long-time Alaskans say that the bear bells are really just dinner bells for the bears. ;):D

EMSDanel
06-10-2009, 07:24 AM

Not to worry Masterson.....the bear doesn't eat normal people. He's waiting for the phone alert boys to come along so that he can tear one apart and leave bits and peices around each cache to ward off the others. It's nature's way...;)

pm28570
06-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Congratulations on that FTF run! All without the benefit of alerts! Congrats to Mike as well for what sounds like quite a run of quality caches. Sounds like I'll have to up the anti-inflammatory meds to do this one.

06-10-2009, 08:52 AM
My wife went to college in Anchorage for two years and she got suckered into buying some. She still has them and I was thinking about them yesterday while out there and whether I ought to be making a bunch of noise. I was caching alone so if I had spooked it by accident I would have been ready to pick up my bike and heave it him, then run like hell.

Ekidokai
06-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Bears only ride bikes at the circus.

fins2right
06-10-2009, 01:40 PM
The fun part for me was, I've actually seen guys pepper spray themselves. Always good entertainment, especially if it's not you!

hollora
06-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Sounds like I shouldn't buy bells on my trip?

pjpreb
06-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Just remember, you don't have to run faster than the bear, you only have to be able to run faster then your friend.

You're in luck Msteelee!!! :D:D:p:p

firefighterjake
06-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Sounds like I shouldn't buy bells on my trip?

Only if you want the locals to know you're a tourist! ;):D