View Full Version : 2009 Maine Geocoin

Sudonim
05-04-2009, 04:35 PM
OK, after WAY too long, I'm finally about ready to get the ball rolling with the new Maine geocoin. I hope to have the final prices nailed down tonight, but if not, it will have to be the end of the week as I am going out of town.
The coin cost has gone up over the 2007 coin, but the size is also 1.75" instead of 1.5". The manufacturer felt that a 1.5" coin wouldn't work with the cutouts.

The TENTATIVE price (picked up locally) is $7.25-7.35 per coin. I'm still calculating the shipped price. (USPS is going up on their rates again, had to recalculate the spreadsheet.)
Here is the artwork for the coin (obviously shows a 2008, will be 2009 once I get that one back from C&P).

Once I get the final pricing, and coordinate with Rick, there will be an order page.

Again, sorry this took so long. I just got my house back on the market, just hired/in training a new guy at work...

Haffy
05-04-2009, 05:00 PM
No need to apoligize Andy but if you are in need for someone else to take over this project in the future there were a couple of people who commented that they would like the opportunity to step up to the task. All I can say is thanks for all the work you have done.

tat
05-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Looks cool! Can't wait to get one!!

attroll
05-05-2009, 08:42 AM
I have some concerns about the colors you have listed.

The color you have listed as "cool gray". That was suppose to be "hammered black finish". A sample coin was posted show what was meant by hammered black finish.

The color raised metal that you have listed is suppose to be Antique Silver.

I have included the original design that was submitted.

Sudonim
05-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks Rick. I'll call Tess to update (and try to get the artwork with the 2009 on it too).

Zoltarus
05-05-2009, 04:07 PM
The State of Maine is backwards on the back side of the coin!!

dubord207
05-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Put me down for 5. Looks good to me!:)

Mapachi
05-05-2009, 09:57 PM
The State of Maine is backwards on the back side of the coin!!
COOL! Looks like a fat IDAHO!! LOL I love it and will be ordering a few! Thanks for all the work and all the headaches you must have endured!

al'Thor
05-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Love it!!!! Can't wait to order a few!

tat
05-06-2009, 06:27 AM
The state of Maine will be backwards since it is a cut out coin.

The snowshoes and gps are not easy to recognize. Perhaps they are just to small to show enough detail. Maybe a bike and a tent would work better.

masterson of the universe
05-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Um, wouldn't a design change now possibly but the coin in 2010? LOL

hide_from_the_kids
05-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Thank You Andy For Your Hard Work On Getting This Coin Going. As Soon As They Are On Sale I Would Like To Buy. Got Cash Need Coin's (maybe 10)

pm28570
05-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Want to order as well, looks like the best thing at this point is to await the order form?

Listener83
05-12-2009, 04:24 PM
They look great.

Where are these coins sold? Through Andy, geocachingmaine.org, garmin, geocaching.com?

Just out of curiosity, how many will be minted?

pjpreb
05-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Looks awesome! We're in for 5 too. Watching for the cue to order!

Sudonim
05-12-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm waiting for the revised artwork (and to make sure that the needed changes that Rick pointed out won't change the price). I'm excited to see the coins too, I really like this design.
Number wise, it's a presale. I will round up (but not by too much) after the ordering closes. I'll coordinate with Rick to get the page up when everything is finalized. Thanks again for your patience, it took too long this year.

Moonsouth
05-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Cool coin, I cant wait, I would take a few of em. [:)]

WhereRWe?
05-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks again for your patience, it took too long this year.

Sheesh! That must mean we need to get started on the 2010 geocoin. LOL!

:D:D

(I know how much work you put into these geocoin projects, Andy. No need to apologize.)

Sudonim
05-16-2009, 06:27 PM
OK, I just got the (semi) revised artwork. The grey will be different, but I won't get it until Monday. I will be on the road to GW7 next week, but should have all the artwork to post when I get back.

Trick or Treat
05-29-2009, 12:46 PM
How's it look?

Sudonim
05-29-2009, 05:33 PM
This is the current model.

attroll
05-29-2009, 06:17 PM
What is up with the black? What happened to the hammered black finish?
Personally I do not lie the black.

hollora
05-29-2009, 09:27 PM
As we debate this, I know the coin will take longer BUT for me - color should be on the front not the back. Actually as I look at it again and see the separated colors with the compass points - that back side is fine but I think there should be color or something on the round/ring part of the front. Perhaps 75 done with green, 75 done with yellow, 75 done with orange and 75 done with blue.

That with the multi colored back would encourage folks to purchase a set of 4. It might be nightmare of you Sudonim as far as the ordering but definitely would add some pizzaz to the coin.

Will buy some of course anyway.........color on the front please. To bland as presented. And the focus of our state should be the nice side.

Trick or Treat
05-29-2009, 11:37 PM
As we debate this, I know the coin will take longer BUT for me - color should be on the front not the back. Actually as I look at it again and see the separated colors with the compass points - that back side is fine but I think there should be color or something on the round/ring part of the front. Perhaps 75 done with green, 75 done with yellow, 75 done with orange and 75 done with blue.

That with the multi colored back would encourage folks to purchase a set of 4. It might be nightmare of you Sudonim as far as the ordering but definitely would add some pizzaz to the coin.

Will buy some of course anyway.........color on the front please. To bland as presented. And the focus of our state should be the nice side.

I totally get what you are saying. The front side is the side with Maine facing the correct way and it would be nice if that were the "nicer" side as well.

EMSDanel
05-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Oh wow.....I've been thinking that the wait was to change 2008 to 2009. This coin is not as far along as I thought.

Opalsns
05-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Maybe you could make it a little more interesting with color. Just an opinion...

Put the 4 colors on the Front side of the ring...this represents Geocaching as a whole.
make the State of Maine a Beautiful Green.When I think of Maine, I think of Green.
Keep the Black for the back side.

Opalsns

Opalsns
05-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Another idea was to have 50 or so made in a copper and those could be offered to members first and the Original Metal for the balance.

Opalsns

Trick or Treat
05-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Maybe you could make it a little more interesting with color. Just an opinion...

Put the 4 colors on the Front side of the ring...this represents Geocaching as a whole.
make the State of Maine a Beautiful Green.When I think of Maine, I think of Green.
Keep the Black for the back side.

Opalsns

I like this idea.

Haffy
05-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Here we go again!!! Another 2 more months before a decision is made...:confused::(

al'Thor
05-30-2009, 07:57 PM
I like it, as is.......

WhereRWe?
05-31-2009, 06:23 AM
Here we go again!!! Another 2 more months before a decision is made...:confused::(

Sheesh! As I recall - even with my aging memory - this was one of the reasons we established an "Advisory Board". LOL! :D:D

Opalsns
05-31-2009, 07:34 AM

It's Been a Year, What's 2 more months?????LOL!!!

Seems I missed the color ( or the lack there of..) vote. LOL!!

< that wasn't poor english, was it? >

Anyway, If that's what Hide From The Kids Designed and what was voted for, So Be It...

... I'll Take 3 ...

Opalsns

brdad
05-31-2009, 07:50 AM
It seems to me the decision was made, and to me it's depressing that some of the people who seemed to approve of the design or at minimal didn't express a dislike of the design suddenly decide there is a need for changes.

Personally, I like the colored border on the back. Since the state outline is reversed on the back, the colored border is the highlight of the back. Added color on the front might be ok (I like metal coins to look like metal), but if anyone wanted it why didn't they express this concern earlier in the 363 days since the design below was originally submitted for discussion? :(:confused::(

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/511/medium/2008-explantion.jpg

The board worked out a time line for the submissions, and had it posted online as well as in the newsletter. I don't recall as it was 100% timely, but it happened. Andy ran into a few delays which gave everyone even more time to think the design over.

I say we run this design and if anyone is interested in a 2011 coin we should get the ball rolling on that project once this coin is ordered.

Opalsns
05-31-2009, 08:11 AM
It seems to me the decision was made, and to me it's depressing that some of the people who seemed to approve of the design or at minimal didn't express a dislike of the design suddenly decide there is a need for changes.

Personally, I like the colored border on the back. Since the state outline is reversed on the back, the colored border is the highlight of the back. Added color on the front might be ok (I like metal coins to look like metal), but if anyone wanted it why didn't they express this concern earlier in the 363 days since the design below was originally submitted for discussion? :(:confused::(

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/511/medium/2008-explantion.jpg

The board worked out a time line for the submissions, and had it posted online as well as in the newsletter. I don't recall as it was 100% timely, but it happened. Andy ran into a few delays which gave everyone even more time to think the design over.

I say we run this design and if anyone is interested in a 2011 coin we should get the ball rolling on that project once this coin is ordered.

Well, Since a first change was mentioned a couple of days ago, and you didn't post about it till now,,
I'll guess that your posting to me as usual . LOL!!!

So Sorry your all depressed about it, but,

With All do respect to Hide From The Kids...

I didn't vote for this coin.
Sorry !

Opalsns

Haffy
05-31-2009, 09:10 AM
I just say get the coin done with what we have and if anyone in here can get it done any better than Andy has these past coins then let them have at it....sheesh!!!! I thought the coin design was decided on months ago as well.

WhereRWe?
05-31-2009, 09:19 AM
I just say get the coin done with what we have and if anyone in here can get it done any better than Andy has these past coins then let them have at it....sheesh!!!!

Sheesh is right! I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it until I'm dead: Andy has done a great job. People don't understand that a geocoin project isn't just sending a design to a manufacturer. It also includes collecting money and distributing coins, which is a HUGE job. :D:D

WhereRWe?
05-31-2009, 09:21 AM
I say we run this design ...

Which is just my point! There should be NO further public discussion on the design. The decision was made months ago, and any discussion about possible problems with the design should be done in the Advisory Board thread.

:(:(

Opalsns
05-31-2009, 09:38 AM
What is up with the black? What happened to the hammered black finish?
Personally I do not lie the black.

Sorry, I was mistaken, I thought Rick had brought it up 2 days ago .
He's an advisery Board Member. I thought there as an open discussion.
Nobody posts anything untill I say something? Wierd?
HMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm.
Like I said before..
If That was the chosen design,
So Be It.
I'll take 3

pm28570
05-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Gotta agree with these guys. Andy has done fine, despite having to wear a target. I,for one, am looking forward to getting my first Maine Geocaching coins.

Originally Posted by Haffy http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?p=52817#post52817)
I just say get the coin done with what we have and if anyone in here can get it done any better than Andy has these past coins then let them have at it....sheesh!!!!

Sheesh is right! I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it until I'm dead: Andy has done a great job. People don't understand that a geocoin project isn't just sending a design to a manufacturer. It also includes collecting money and distributing coins, which is a HUGE job. :D:D

Opalsns
05-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Sheesh, Me Too!!!!!!
And I don't think anyone said he did an awful job. Sheesh! Just that it took awhile.
And I believe Sudonum said he had some things he had to do that compromised his time on the coin , Maybe that's why people offered to help him?????
It's true, It takes alot to take on a coin project, that's why someone could of helped the poor guy out!
Maybe , with too many people telling him what a great job he's doing and how he can handle it all, maybe he doesn't think he should ask for help. Maybe he feels it's his responsibility.
Also, I think he had several offers of help in this Challenge, but he chose not to take any.

Any hoo .....

I'll take 3

Opalsns

Trick or Treat
05-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Which is just my point! There should be NO further public discussion on the design. The decision was made months ago, and any discussion about possible problems with the design should be done in the Advisory Board thread.

:(:(

Alright everyone, back on point!

Since I only started caching (and obsessively reading about caching) late last year, I missed the threads where the design was voted and finalized. My bad. The only big discussion I followed was whether it was a 2008 coin or a 2009. So if the coin design has been approved, then it has been approved. Let's go forward with it.

Sudonim
05-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Trying to get back on track...

Rick is right insisting that the black isn't the original design. I'm having trouble translating the hammered finish to C&P, maybe I'm not describing it correctly. I will be calling them Monday with the design posts that were voted on to help illustrate what we want for the coin finish. I'll repost when they get that artwork done. There are a lot of details on this coin and I want it to be what the designer wanted.

Opalsns
05-31-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was spelling it wrong. Sheesh .I just get through telling you I have a difficulty and you say that,
and I and U are right next to each other, I may have typed to fast.
Also ,
FYF
I have a OLD keyboard and sometimes letters stick or don't type at all.
And can't you just post so your not fueling up something else. ie... the sudonim thing.
Sheesh, I voted for you for crying out loud, doesn't that count for anything, LOL!!

attroll
05-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Trying to get back on track...

Rick is right insisting that the black isn't the original design. I'm having trouble translating the hammered finish to C&P, maybe I'm not describing it correctly. I will be calling them Monday with the design posts that were voted on to help illustrate what we want for the coin finish. I'll repost when they get that artwork done. There are a lot of details on this coin and I want it to be what the designer wanted.
Andy, just send them this picture or have them look at this image if that will help. It shows the hammered finish on the bottom coin.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/511/thumbs/2008-explantion.jpg (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2505)

Sudonim
05-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Andy, just send them this picture or have them look at this image if that will help. It shows the hammered finish on the bottom coin.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/511/thumbs/2008-explantion.jpg (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2505)

That's the one I was going to send. Did C&P make this coin? If they did, it would help with the reference.

EMSDanel
05-31-2009, 05:41 PM
Andy (Sudonim), you are a man of incredible patience. Thank you for all your efforts on this and the previous Maine coins. We're all lucky that you are willing to navigate through the maze of having a coin get manufactured. I trust your judgement to make this coin come out right. If I was making my own coin it would go much faster because I'd have only myself to please. But being a group effort I can appreciate what you are going through in the effort to make everyone happy. While there was "vote" on a final version, some of the comments lately might make the coin a better coin. I agree with Hollora that the front of the coin should be the main focus and the prettiest side. But whatever point becomes the "OK, this is it"....I'll be happy with and will purchase several coins, just like Opalsns. Let's nail it down and "git er done".

Sudonim
05-31-2009, 05:48 PM
It kinda reminds me of this sometimes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWymXNPaU7g

Trick or Treat
05-31-2009, 05:53 PM

That was AWESOME!!

EMSDanel
05-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Ha, ha, ha....that's perfect. Andy, you're a class act....

pm28570
05-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Been one of my favorite sayings for a while, describes some of the corporate training I conduct......
Thanks for the link!

hide_from_the_kids
05-31-2009, 06:37 PM
now that was just the perfrct clip. now i am just happy that you have endured this headache and not me i don't have the patience. now about the design i'm just glad its out of my head. :D

attroll
05-31-2009, 09:01 PM
That's the one I was going to send. Did C&P make this coin? If they did, it would help with the reference.
I don't know who made that coin. I was trying to find out on the web but had not luck. I got the photo of that coin from hidefromthekids. Maybe he will have some insight on it.

hide_from_the_kids
05-31-2009, 09:32 PM
i don't know who made that coin. I was trying to find out on the web but had not luck. I got the photo of that coin from hidefromthekids. Maybe he will have some insight on it.
we believe it was oakcoins BUT WE COULD BE WRONG THE COLOR DOES NOT MATTER TO ME BUT IT WAS THE HAMMERED TEXTURE THAT WE REALLY LIKED

hide_from_the_kids
05-31-2009, 10:10 PM
http://www.landsharkz.ca/images/colours/textures.jpg
OK I FOUND IT IT WAS ANTIQUE SILVER FOR THE RAISED AREAS AND NUMBER 8 FOR THE TEXTURE

hide_from_the_kids
05-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Oh and it was by landsharkz :d

benandtina
06-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi! Sorry I am coming in on this so late... is this where we voice interest in ordering a coin? Or is there going to be another thread for ordering later? At any rate, I'd like one please if it isn't too late! :) Cute coin!!

Sudonim
06-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi! Sorry I am coming in on this so late... is this where we voice interest in ordering a coin? Or is there going to be another thread for ordering later? At any rate, I'd like one please if it isn't too late! :) Cute coin!!

There will be info on the home page for ordering. Thanks for your patience. (And, no, you aren't too late!)

Trick or Treat
06-11-2009, 07:46 PM
So did the mint finally "get" the design or is lost in translation?

Sudonim
06-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Waiting for another revised artwork. The specific areas for the specific finishes was confusing, so trying to get everyone on the same page.

softball29
06-16-2009, 03:13 AM
Only because I'll be caching in the state later this summer, baring any unforeseen problems, I'd be interested in purchasing one of these coins when available. They are really nice looking!

Trick or Treat
08-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Any updates?

Sudonim
08-02-2009, 10:22 PM
At this point, the coin is ready for order. I'm waiting on 1 detail (a limited edition coin for fundraising) that should wrap up this week.
The coin will be 1.75" Diameter.
Cost is $7.35 if picked up locally.
If mailing is needed, cost is $7.50 each + $2.00 for the entire order (in the U.S.)
Let me nail down the LE coin and I should be taking orders by the end of this week.

EMSDanel
08-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Great News!!!!

Haffy
08-03-2009, 08:12 AM
You going to be listing it on the GC forum site?

pm28570
08-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Indeed, this is great to hear.

Sudonim
08-03-2009, 08:38 AM
You going to be listing it on the GC forum site?

I always do:p

Team V3
08-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Looks very cool. I may have to get $2. One to set free and one to keep.

Team V3
08-03-2009, 04:39 PM
LOL thats 2

Haffy
08-03-2009, 05:00 PM
2$ well you would get the shipping anyway....lol

Team V3
08-03-2009, 05:00 PM
LOL if that :)

Haffy
08-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Wish I were working or I would order a bunch but looks like 2 or 3 will be my limit this time. The way things are going here I might be back in Maine sooner than you think.

WhereRWe?
08-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Wish I were working

Sheesh! I know it's hard to get a job when you're a foreigner...

Sudonim
08-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Sheesh! I know it's hard to get a job when you're a foreigner...

If I'd had a mouthfull of beer when I read that, I would have sprayed it out:p Funny...

Haffy
08-03-2009, 05:55 PM
So any of you foreigners have a job for me? I work for food... Not a LOL but a serious question? I have been unemployed for almost 7 months now and nothing down here. Just looking for anything. Don't speak all at once.

WhereRWe?
08-03-2009, 06:06 PM
So any of you foreigners have a job for me? I work for food... Not a LOL but a serious question? I have been unemployed for almost 7 months now and nothing down here. Just looking for anything. Don't speak all at once.

Sheesh! Can't you get a job hoeing cotton?

Haffy
08-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Wasn't meant to be a joke Bruce but if you must then go ahead and make it. I'm not the one double dipping but you've earned it so,so be it. That wasn't meant to be sarcastic either. Maybe if there weren't so many hispanics down here I might have a chance. Stimulus plan isn't down here. :mad:

dubord207
08-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Glad I didn't say that! Bruce would not have been happy if I'd said it. This thread is getting a bit too personal, wouldn't you say? You guys might have to go to a "beer summit" to iron this out.:D

WhereRWe?
08-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Wasn't meant to be a joke Bruce but if you must then go ahead and make it. I'm not the one double dipping but you've earned it so,so be it. That wasn't meant to be sarcastic either. Maybe if there weren't so many hispanics down here I might have a chance. Stimulus plan isn't down here. :mad:

Quote: Just smile. It won't crack your face...

pm28570
08-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Don't know how Hiram missed this one......

G You guys might have to go to a "beer summit" to iron this out.:D

WhereRWe?
08-04-2009, 08:45 AM
You guys might have to go to a "beer summit" to iron this out.:D

In Haffy's case, it would have to be root beer...

(Sheesh! Maybe that's the problem! I hear it makes you constipated. :p:p)

squirrelcache
08-04-2009, 09:09 AM
.......... I have been unemployed for almost 7 months now and nothing down here. Just looking for anything. .....

Haffy....any particular part of Maine?

Haffy
08-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Any part of Maine is a good part I thought....

EMSDanel
08-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Sooooooo.....funny thing......for some reason I thought this thread was about the almost-ready Maine geocoin. How 'bout them Red Sox?

attroll
08-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Probably should start a new thread on this topic but I will chime in. There is always jobs to be had, just depends on what you want to do. The WalMart distribution center up here is always hiring. McDonald's and Burger King is always hiring people. The list goes on. Any money is better then no money at all.

Hiram357
08-04-2009, 05:13 PM
so about that coin..... :D

Did someone mention beer?? ;)

Team2hunt
08-04-2009, 05:25 PM
I saw a sea gull today hanging out at a Wendy's waiting for a handout from the trash can. Do you think they know that the fries are better at Wendy's than the nearby McDonald's or Burger King? :confused:

WhereRWe?
08-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I saw a sea gull today hanging out at a Wendy's waiting for a handout from the trash can. Do you think they know that the fries are better at Wendy's than the nearby McDonald's or Burger King? :confused:

The burgers are better, too. :D:D

(Sheesh! Now we'll have a fight...)

Hiram357
08-04-2009, 06:04 PM
The burgers are better, too. :D:D

(Sheesh! Now we'll have a fight...)

I love wendy's burgers, but if I'm going to spend money on fast food, the Ruebens at Arby's are worth it. I don't much care for McDonalds, but I do like their chicken sandwiches more than BKs chicken sandwichs, but if I wanted a good chicken sandwich, I'd be in line at KFC and top that one off with some potato wedges. Now if I have time to wait, I'd pick amato's over any of those places, but if I wanted a really good italian I would go hit up either leadbetters or the Oosoola market over in norridgewok. And then there's the Coffee Pot, nuff said!

oh yeah, are the coins ready yet??:D

Mainiac1957
08-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I love wendy's burgers, but if I'm going to spend money on fast food, the Ruebens at Arby's are worth it. I don't much care for McDonalds, but I do like their chicken sandwiches more than BKs chicken sandwichs, but if I wanted a good chicken sandwich, I'd be in line at KFC and top that one off with some potato wedges. Now if I have time to wait, I'd pick amato's over any of those places, but if I wanted a really good italian I would go hit up either leadbetters or the Oosoola market over in norridgewok. And then there's the Coffee Pot, nuff said!

"coin" Aaron you just like food "coin"

Team2hunt
08-04-2009, 07:26 PM

Do you know Leadbetters? They have the best Lobsta roll and clams, well.......except Red Eats in Wiscassett. Even if you have to stand in line it's worth it. But what I get really excited about are the Pier Fries at OOB. My favorite, and you have to know how to prepare them to be devoured. First is the vinegar and then the salt, so it doesn't get washed to the bottom. NO KETCHUP! But you will need to go back and hit them with a second round of vinegar and salt, so stand in the alley right around the corner and enjoy them.

Coins? Must be the little chocolate ones that you get at Easter.

Oh wait! Haffy .......almost forgot about you......sorry. Write if you get work. Or just post it here! :cool:

I am using the little purple guy :o for my post. And I know that some of them have titles associated with them, (ie. happy, very happy, confused ). Does he look constipated to anyone else but me?

Take it from here Andy!

Hiram357
08-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Do you know Leadbetters? They have the best Lobsta roll and clams, well.......except Red Eats in Wiscassett. Even if you have to stand in line it's worth it. But what I get really excited about are the Pier Fries at OOB. My favorite, and you have to know how to prepare them to be devoured. First is the vinegar and then the salt, so it doesn't get washed to the bottom. NO KETCHUP! But you will need to go back and hit them with a second round of vinegar and salt, so stand in the alley right around the corner and enjoy them.

Coins? Must be the little chocolate ones that you get at Easter.

Oh wait! Haffy .......almost forgot about you......sorry. Write if you get work. Or just post it here! :cool:

I am using the little purple guy :o for my post. And I know that some of them have titles associated with them, (ie. happy, very happy, confused ). Does he look constipated to anyone else but me?

Take it from here Andy!

Before passing this one back to answer I would like to chime in and say, yes " :o " does look like he has some uneasy feelings the waste treatment department. And ironically he is about the same color as Pepto. Maybe he got that from Reds Eats. I think the best lobster roll I've had in a long while was from some guy under an e-z up selling them for $5 each over in Milbridge.

and yes brad I do like food. :D

sorry haffy i have no leads for you. seems like jobs are going outta style around here... :(

and COINS (still on topic here)

*passes thread off to Andy*

EMSDanel
08-04-2009, 10:35 PM
And you know.....I was almost ready to donate to this site.....(speaking of coins)

Sudonim
08-05-2009, 12:08 PM

Take it from here Andy!

From here, I have no idea where to take it!!!:p

Ekidokai
08-07-2009, 11:59 AM
I know...

Coins taste good with Moxie.

hide_from_the_kids
08-22-2009, 08:30 PM
this is one of those nag posts (kind of like for gsak) nag nag nag any word about the coin andy?

this was posted not to be an a.. but just to get some general knowledge to the members

attroll
08-25-2009, 09:53 AM
I think the hold up is me. I need to put it up for sale on the web site and I just got back from vacation. I will try to get it completed this week.

EMSDanel
08-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Noooooo...... this can't be so. Funny, but I thought this meant the coin was done being altered, the samples were in and approved, the coins were ordered and they had arrived. If any/all of this is so...thanks to all involved for making it happen! Final pictures of the final coin? I'm ready to purchase....

Jobi Wan Kenobi
09-01-2009, 01:52 PM
<Homer>Woohoo!</Homer> Got the email, and put in my Preorder. Can't wait to see these great coins!

ltlindian
09-01-2009, 02:58 PM
bought mine too!

Sudonim
09-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Only 3 of the LE coins left, get 'em while they're hot...

Haffy
09-01-2009, 10:12 PM
You think maybe you ought to up it to 100 or maybe 250 like I miss informed it was earlier? More money in the coffers.

attroll
09-02-2009, 09:15 AM
I will bring this up to the board members but the intent was not to do it for profit or to build a large amount of money.

brdad
09-02-2009, 09:34 AM
At the moment I am thinking any more than 50 is no longer a limited edition, but I will entertain any comments to the contrary.

benandtina
09-02-2009, 09:39 AM
I agree that too many will make it no longer LE. Although, I won't complain if more are offered since I am a slacker and did not order mine in time to get one :) lol

BTW, thanks again to everyone who worked so hard in organizing this :) I'm so excited, can't wait to see them!!

jellono
09-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Not sure if anyone has posted this but if the back of the coin is the state flipped then east and west are wrong.

squirrelcache
09-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Wooohooo...... unique flaws make them worth all the more ;)

attroll
09-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Not sure if anyone has posted this but if the back of the coin is the state flipped then east and west are wrong.
Yes, that was brought up and it is all in the eyes of the beholder. One person will say the same thing you just did. Then someone else will look at it and say that the East and West are backwards on on the compass, if we had it the other way. You cannot make everyone happy.

Sudonim
09-02-2009, 12:30 PM
You think maybe you ought to up it to 100 or maybe 250 like I miss informed it was earlier? More money in the coffers.

If we change the LE from 50 to xxx at this point (with the 50 sold to people rushing in to grab a limited coin) we may hear from all 50 of them complaining that it isn't the limited coin they thought it would be. LE coins typically sell out quickly, part of the charm is having a coin that's rare. And as Rick said, we were looking for a small profit on these for the site, not something huge.

pm28570
09-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Seem correct to me.....given you are looking at the points of the compass.

Yes, that was brought up and it is all in the eyes of the beholder. One person will say the same thing you just did. Then someone else will look at it and say that the East and West are backwards on on the compass, if we had it the other way. You cannot make everyone happy.

pm28570
09-02-2009, 02:20 PM
I agree. Set a number and go with it. I think if you keeping bumping up the number of LE coins, it no longer is. However, I disagree with Rick.... it's not a bad thing to profit, I do understand his philosophy. Increased means not having to front as much personal money for coins, logo items, etc.

If we change the LE from 50 to xxx at this point (with the 50 sold to people rushing in to grab a limited coin) we may hear from all 50 of them complaining that it isn't the limited coin they thought it would be. LE coins typically sell out quickly, part of the charm is having a coin that's rare. And as Rick said, we were looking for a small profit on these for the site, not something huge.

Mainiac1957
09-02-2009, 03:00 PM
A limited edition is that, limited. It's what was planned for so let it ride. IMHO

Sabby
09-02-2009, 05:02 PM

I agree. A number was set, stick with it.

firefighterjake
09-03-2009, 07:52 AM

I don't do coins . . . but I agree.

If I paid extra thinking that I was getting a limited edition and that this would make something pretty rare, I wouldn't be very happy to then find out that another 50, 100 or XXXX coins of the same type were being made.

lexmano
09-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Being one of the folks who has a Limited Edition coin on order, I just want folks to know that I do have a price!:D

Those who know that I am a lawyer, would probably not be surprised by that.

Ripton
09-05-2009, 08:05 PM
These look great, I have already ordered mine, but how can I order one of the gold ones?

Ripton
09-05-2009, 08:14 PM
mmm, can't figure out how to edit my last post.. Seems after reading all 12 pages of this thread, I now realize the LE coins have been sold out.. D'OH... You could consider an auction for the first few coins next year.. And Ok, you've got one, what's your price?

Ekidokai
09-05-2009, 08:38 PM
How badly do you want one?

EMSDanel
09-06-2009, 12:09 AM
I really hesitate to do this.....but.....most of us have the 2007 Maine coin and now the 2009 coin is up for sale. Work has started for the 2011 version.

I have a very large private collection of geocoins (over 2,000) and included I have a number of the first, the original, 2005 Maine coins in my possession. These are non-trackable coins and I've already traded or sold 5 of them to other Maine geocachers. If anyone is interested in the original Maine geocoin let me know.

kayakerinme
09-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Any updates on how sales are?

Sudonim
09-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Any updates on how sales are?

As of Monday night, the LE coins are sold out and the regular edition is at 223. Sales were brisk the first day, then slowed (as expected). Hoping for a big spurt near the end. I priced the coin based on ordering 500, hope to squeak by.

brdad
09-08-2009, 05:50 AM
Perhaps we'll have a jump when the mass email goes out.

Sudonim
09-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Perhaps we'll have a jump when the mass email goes out.

I thought that already went out:confused:

brdad
09-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Sorry, it did. I checked and mine got filtered incorrectly and ended up in the wrong folder. It was sent out 9/1/2009.

hide_from_the_kids
09-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Could you give another update on sales andy?

Sudonim
09-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Could you give another update on sales andy?

We've sold 16 coins in the last week, up to 239 RE.

Mainiac1957
09-19-2009, 06:23 AM
Get your 2009 Maine geocoin order in. Last time people said "They didn't know they were for sale". Don't miss out on these awesome looking coins. Jamie of Hide from the Kids came up with an awesome design. Even the regular edition is going to be a relative small quantity. Don't miss out on this opportunity to get one before it's too late. Operators are standing by....:rolleyes:

fins2right
09-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Just picked up 4 more. Merrry Christmas everyone! :)

hide_from_the_kids
09-19-2009, 11:00 AM
get your 2009 maine geocoin order in. Last time people said "they didn't know they were for sale". Don't miss out on these awesome looking coins. Jamie of hide from the kids came up with an awesome design. Even the regular edition is going to be a relative small quantity. Don't miss out on this opportunity to get one before it's too late. Operators are standing by....:rolleyes:
brad you are to kind. Most the credit should go to rick (attroll) and andy (sudomin)for all the help. And yes you are right about last time we did hear a lot that no one knew of the sale. There is only 17 days left of the preorder sales.

WhereRWe?
09-19-2009, 12:06 PM
And yes you are right about last time we did hear a lot that no one knew of the sale. There is only 17 days left of the preorder sales.

Perhaps Rick could go out with a message to all GCM.org members, reminding them of the coin sale and alerting them to the deadline...

hollora
09-21-2009, 08:34 PM
The thread on the National Forums was just bumped and updated. Is there a photo of the sample coin from the factory available? All I have seen is the art.

attroll
09-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Here is the sample of the coin.

http://geocachingmaine.org/store/images/2009-coin-plain.jpg

Ekidokai
09-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Here is the sample of the coin.

http://geocachingmaine.org/store/images/2009-coin-plain.jpg

Holy crap, that's huge!

Sudonim
09-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Holy crap, that's huge!

Mike, push your chair back from the monitor, it will look better !:D

Sudonim
09-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Perhaps Rick could go out with a message to all GCM.org members, reminding them of the coin sale and alerting them to the deadline...

Rick sent out a email blast when the store went active. Sales were brisk for a few days, then slowed way down. We are up to 257 coins sold, plus the 50 LE coins. I really need to get to 500 to buy them at the price I planned. Keeping my fingers crossed for those last minute sales.

WhereRWe?
09-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Rick sent out a email blast when the store went active. Sales were brisk for a few days, then slowed way down. We are up to 257 coins sold, plus the 50 LE coins. I really need to get to 500 to buy them at the price I planned. Keeping my fingers crossed for those last minute sales.

My intent was to suggest that ANOTHER announcement go out... :D:D

attroll
09-22-2009, 12:53 PM
I am a little leery of sending to many announcements out. I am a member of a few forums and I get extremely annoyed when other sites send out mailers to frequently.

I have no problem sending one out about one week before the sale ends.

hide_from_the_kids
09-22-2009, 02:32 PM
I think another mailing would help. And also more promotion on the front page maybe would help and thanks to lois for bumping the thread on gc.com to keep it up front.

brdad
09-22-2009, 02:45 PM
There is no reason we as individuals cannot email our caching friends who might not visit the site often or at all and remind them of the coin.

lexmano
09-22-2009, 02:48 PM
I will also make sure pictures of the coin and details are available for people to look at while at the GeoRallye. In fact I have printed out the image of the coin and have donated one as a prize.

Talk it up at Eustis. Camping Beaver probably has not ordered, he is not very computer oriented.

pm28570
09-22-2009, 04:37 PM
A very valid point Rick. That said, would anyone consider notifying groups outside of Maine, but in New England, that the coin is available?

I am a little leery of sending to many announcements out. I am a member of a few forums and I get extremely annoyed when other sites send out mailers to frequently.

EMSDanel
09-22-2009, 05:07 PM

OK, Rick, so you are very annoyed at getting announcements and I can appreciate that. However, if one announcement went out when the store opened would this make only the second announcement (as a reminder to everyone)? I, personally, wouldn't get "extremely annoyed" at that. And if it helps sell 500 coins that would make it very OK by me. Is there anyone else who can send out the mass blast announcement, because I'd hate to think that this whole coin effort could flounder because of one person's opinion.

pjpreb
09-22-2009, 08:35 PM
I think a reminder notice at the Eustis event is a great idea :)

Ekidokai
09-23-2009, 02:24 AM
Just remember McDonald's is number one because f advertising.

hide_from_the_kids
09-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Just remember McDonald's is number one because f advertising.
i would say they are number one in the number 2 buisness.:D

hide_from_the_kids
09-27-2009, 01:29 PM
if you have not ordered your coin\coins you have eight days left before the pre-order is over. so if you have not ordered check out the pre-order coin box on the home page or click here http://www.geocachingmaine.org/store/
just wanted to make sure everyone had their chance to order. on another note go to this thread and put your ideas into the 2011 coin http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4100

hide_from_the_kids
09-29-2009, 11:00 PM
if you have not ordered your coin\coins you have eight days left before the pre-order is over. so if you have not ordered check out the pre-order coin box on the home page or click here http://www.geocachingmaine.org/store/
just wanted to make sure everyone had their chance to order. on another note go to this thread and put your ideas into the 2011 coin http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4100
six more days of pre-order

hide_from_the_kids
10-01-2009, 09:40 AM
do we have an update on the sales? are we getting closer to the goal?

Sudonim
10-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Up to 303 plus the 50 LE...

brdad
10-02-2009, 01:05 PM
I could buy a few more to help out, but 200????

Maybe the coin fad is over?

attroll
10-02-2009, 01:38 PM
I could buy a few more if need be but not 200.

cano
10-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Few days ago I got an email about 5 days left to buy a Maine geocoin. Without any URL, or any information whatsoever where or how to buy it. This is not the way how to make a successful ad campaign.

brdad
10-02-2009, 02:36 PM
There is a link right on the home page of this site, or you can go here (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/store/).

kayakerinme
10-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Maybe the coin fad is over?
Coins are still going strong but pre-orders are strongly disliked based on several experiences within the community of coins not being delivered, and not being delivered in the promised time frame. These days, by my observations, editions of 250 are usually okay but much larger you run the risk of having leftovers.

lexmano
10-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Andy, I certainly hope that you can get close enough to maintain your pricing assumptions.

Come on folks!

cano
10-02-2009, 04:32 PM
There is a link right on the home page of this site, or you can go here (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/store/).

I know, I already bought one. I'm talking about that emails that were sent few days ago. I can double my order. If everybody doubles their orders we can have more than 500. Why do we need 500+ anyway?

Haffy
10-02-2009, 06:24 PM
I think he already mentioned that in a previous post the he needs 500 to maintain the current price structure or he will eat the difference which I hope will not happen.

Sudonim
10-02-2009, 06:55 PM
When I came up with the price to charge for the coins, I had to estimate how many would sell. There are fixed costs (the same amount if you order 1 coin or 1000) and variable costs (unit price of each coin). I wanted the coin to be as affordable as possible (and sell more coins if they are cheaper), so I used the 500 number. The 2007 coin sold over 500, and the 2005 coin (granted, much cheaper and not trackable) sold over 2150!
I should have based this one on a lower number to give me room for error, but I didn't. I'll know better next time. I haven't run the numbers yet for a 400 coin order instead of 500, but I don't think it will be a major issue.

hide_from_the_kids
10-03-2009, 02:47 PM
i told my wife to buy ten but she bought twenty :).:eek:
i do hope we can sell enough.
andy let me know if i can do anything to help

Sudonim
10-03-2009, 06:17 PM
I've been running numbers back and forth, we are at 369 now. I think I'm OK. I priced these close so I wouldn't make any money, but don't want to lose either. If I was a little optimistic on sales, my fault. Sales have been dropping (in general) on coins, I should have looked at that. The economy isn't doing anyone favors either. At this point, if there aren't any more sold, I may be off 25-200, but I still had about $120 from the 2007 coin, so there is some wiggle room. If not, I'm ordering some extras anyway, people will read about this a month from now, never heard about the coin sale, and want some... C'est la vie (french for "that's la vie" :) )

hide_from_the_kids
10-05-2009, 02:41 PM
last day of pre-sale. we hope the turn out is good.

Sudonim
10-05-2009, 06:10 PM
As of 6PM Monday, we are at 371. Time is running out...

hollora
10-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Is that with the LEs or without?

Haffy
10-05-2009, 06:54 PM
The LE's were sold out the 1st or 2nd day, I'm sure he is referring to the regular coins. I just ordered 2 more. Glad I can help even if I am unemployed.

Mainiac1957
10-05-2009, 06:57 PM
I believe that is all the coins.

hollora
10-05-2009, 07:40 PM
The LE's were sold out the 1st or 2nd day, I'm sure he is referring to the regular coins. I just ordered 2 more. Glad I can help even if I am unemployed.

Ah, yup, I knew that about the LEs ;) But if the pricing was based on a total of 500 total - I don't believe it doesn't matters what type - or does it? :confused:

I was just wondering what the overall total was. Thanks M1957 for clarifying what you believe - now I get it.

If the regular coins numbers x + 50 = ? Right? ;) Sort of like one of cano's puzzles. :p The bottom line is to get ? to reach 500 before midnight - correct???? ;) :D

Well, I hope we make it. The proof will be in the numbers come tomorrow morning.

Sudonim
10-05-2009, 09:36 PM
That number is with the LE coins, which can be combined for cost.

hollora
10-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks Sudonim for posting that info! - looks like 129 orders left to be made.............to meet quota? I did post a push on a couple of websites. Hope it helped.

Haffy
10-06-2009, 09:38 AM
I believe that is all the coins.

Oh well....Wrong again!!!!:rolleyes:

hide_from_the_kids
10-09-2009, 11:51 PM
i do know some people that are going to buy 1 or 2 but they want to wait till they see mine first. so once i get them i will try to get rid of more

Moonsouth
02-13-2010, 06:51 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a 2009 Maine coin, and is there a 2010 yet? I see people talking about a 2011 coin but nothing on 2010...Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

WhereRWe?
02-13-2010, 07:21 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a 2009 Maine coin, and is there a 2010 yet? I see people talking about a 2011 coin but nothing on 2010...Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Um.... I think we skipped 2010. The 2011 coin is in the works. If you attend the WWWWWW6 event on Feb 20th, you might get a 2009 Maine geocoin as a door prize... :D:D

brdad
02-13-2010, 07:39 PM
I have an extra 2009 coin or two.

I am not sure there is going to be a 2011 coin, I posted a few weeks ago if anyone was interested and no one replied.

Moonsouth
02-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Would you be willing to sell me one : ) ? I just like to collect any coins that have to do with Maine. I wish I could attend the event, my weekends are pretty tied up. I would be interested in a 2011 maine coin. Umm also I was thinking of minting my own trackable signature coin, I would only like around 100 but if I need 250 to get my own logo I would go that route. Any ideas on where I would even begin with that and around how much it would cost in the end.

WhereRWe?
02-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Would you be willing to sell me one : ) ? I just like to collect any coins that have to do with Maine.

Well, I just might have an extra coin or two in my pocket at the WWWWWW6 event. (Hint... hint...) :D:D

Moonsouth
02-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Ohhh I see. Haha, well I doubt I will be able to make it, but now I will definitely try harder to get there.

brdad
02-13-2010, 09:52 PM
I can sell you one, Moonsouth, same price I paid. I forget what I paid? $7.35? Or was that the limited edition one? Anybody?

I am right in Bangor near EMMC, do you come this way often?

rcwhit
02-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Well, I just might have an extra coin or two in my pocket at the WWWWWW6 event. (Hint... hint...) :D:D

Hide from the kids gave me one when he saw us caching Thanksgiven afternoon. I'm going to keep that one to start my colection. (I've got a ways to go to catch up with Mapachi colection!) I would like to buy another one to send out, so anyone who has some extras should bring them to the WWWWWW6 event so we'll have enough to go around. ;)

Opalsns
02-14-2010, 11:51 AM
I have an extra 2009 coin or two.

I am not sure there is going to be a 2011 coin, I posted a few weeks ago if anyone was interested and no one replied.

BRDad,
what happened to HFTK,

Gee Wiz,
He was getting the ball rolling on the 2011 geocoin?????????

EMSDanel,
If you would like help on your Moose coin for 2011, just let me know.
I would be Glad to help U.

brdad
02-14-2010, 12:29 PM
BRDad,
what happened to HFTK,

Gee Wiz,
He was getting the ball rolling on the 2011 geocoin?????????

He has backed out for personal reasons. It is unfortunate, Jami was great at getting things done.

Opalsns
02-14-2010, 01:12 PM
He has backed out for personal reasons. It is unfortunate, Jami was great at getting things done.

No Worrys, I'm sure there are others that can do just as good.

Sudonim
02-17-2010, 10:44 AM
I still have a few 2009 coins available as well if you need some.

Moonsouth
02-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks to everyone for you replies. I am currently working on getting over to brdads to pick one up(Maine coin)....As soon as time and life allows me. : )