View Full Version : PN-40 Questions

fins2right
05-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Ok, I broke down and purchased a PN-40. I have the maps loaded in, I seem to like what I see so far, but according to what I have read, I should be able to access the cache page, ect from the unit. I've loaded a few caches using the new button on GC.com (which I really, really like) but I cannot figure out how to access the additional information. I've read all of the directions I was given. What am I missing? :confused:

robt
05-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Try to Press Menu then there should be an item Geocaches. If that is not there you may not have the most recent firmware loaded and may want to update it.

attroll
05-05-2009, 08:29 AM
As Rob said. Once you have loaded the geocache into the GPS then click the menu button and scroll down and select Geocaches. Then select the cache you want to read about and scroll down to the comments and click enter. I believe this is what you are looking for. The PN-40 comes with this already installed in the standard firmware.

robt
05-05-2009, 01:06 PM
As Rob said. Once you have loaded the geocache into the GPS then click the menu button and scroll down and select Geocaches. Then select the cache you want to read about and scroll down to the comments and click enter. I believe this is what you are looking for. The PN-40 comes with this already installed in the standard firmware.

sorry I think my brain was not working at that moment, thanks for the corection.

And don't say it TAT, I know my brain is never working :D:D:D

Mainiac1957
05-05-2009, 03:52 PM
sorry I think my brain was not working at that moment, thanks for the corection.

And don't say it TAT, I know my brain is never working :D:D:D

mainiac covering his mouth with his hand

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!mmmmmmmmm!!!!!mmmmmmmmmmmm mmm

;):p;):p;):p;):p

fins2right
05-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Having foolishly decided to put off the home improvement projects and lured out by the promise of sunshine I fired up the PN-40 and struck off for China. Feeling that spring energy I loaded up about 20 caches and planned to make a day of it. :)

Cache #1. Found the site. Took the gps off external power. Got out of truck. Noticed that my PN-40 was off. Said "that's strange" and tried to turn it on. No luck. Tried a new pair of batteries. Unit stayed on for....... 10 seconds and said those batteries were low and turned off. Tried brand new batteries (part two). The unit stayed on for.... 5 seconds, said those batteries were dead and turned off.

I went up the street to the lakeside market and bought a very overpriced set of new batteries. This time there was a change. The unit just wouldn't turn on. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!

When it's plugged into the truck, no problems. I'm finding it hard to carry the truck with me on trails.

Very Helpfully :mad:, Delorme customer service tells me "you might have a defective unit". Really??

So tomorrow it's an unplanned trip down to Yarmouth to turn this hunk of junk in. I haven't decided if I want to try another, or demand a refund. Overall, not a great way to spend the morning. Sigh. I did manage to find a few other caches with the kids gps, so it wasn't a total waste. :(

kymeejay
05-09-2009, 09:36 PM
That's too bad about your GPS. I can see where it may be difficult to carry your truck to all the cache locations:D. If you decide to go a different route I would reccomend the Garmin Colorado. I got mine a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. I got a great deal on Amazon. Now I can actually do paperless caching. It feels funny to go caching without notebooks and binders with all of my information but I am getting used to it. Good luck...hope whatever you get works for you.

Mainiac1957
05-10-2009, 06:12 AM
I'm finding it hard to carry the truck with me on trails. :(

Buy a jeep!:rolleyes::D:p

pm28570
05-10-2009, 07:58 AM
I'm interested in knowing to outcome, both with the unit and Delorme's customer service.

So tomorrow it's an unplanned trip down to Yarmouth to turn this hunk of junk in. I haven't decided if I want to try another, or demand a refund. Overall, not a great way to spend the morning. Sigh. I did manage to find a few other caches with the kids gps, so it wasn't a total waste. :(

Ekidokai
05-10-2009, 09:21 AM
That seems to be a common problem with that unit. I read somewhere else that 2 or three other people had that happen to them right out of the box.

kayaking loon
05-10-2009, 10:07 AM
That seems to be a common problem with that unit. I read somewhere else that 2 or three other people had that happen to them right out of the box.

I bought IAMPAW's old PN-20. I knew that worked since she's the # 8 top cacher in Maine! And I like it. I was thinking of getting a PN-40 but now maybe I'll wait until she sells hers to me (she's had no problems so far). Nothing worse than going out for a fun day of caching and your GPS won't work!

fins2right
05-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Buy a jeep!:rolleyes::D:p

I turn 40 next year. I have my wife convinced that a Jeep would be a great way to handle the midlife crisis :D:D

attroll
05-10-2009, 01:06 PM
I bought IAMPAW's old PN-20. I knew that worked since she's the # 8 top cacher in Maine! And I like it. I was thinking of getting a PN-40 but now maybe I'll wait until she sells hers to me (she's had no problems so far). Nothing worse than going out for a fun day of caching and your GPS won't work!
I would not let word of a few problems keep you from getting a PN-40. Every GPS has had problems with them. If you search back through the GC forum achieves I am sure you can verify that. I have a PN-20 and a PN-40 and I have not had any problems with my PN-40 or my PN-20 since I received them. I would recommend them to anyone.

Mainiac1957
05-10-2009, 07:05 PM
I turn 40 next year. I have my wife convinced that a Jeep would be a great way to handle the midlife crisis :D:D

Another convert.:cool:

pm28570
05-10-2009, 07:16 PM
You know, my first Jeep was a '64 CJ-5. My next was a '76. When I bought the '76, I remember why I sold the '64. :) Are they any better?

Another convert.:cool:

Mainiac1957
05-10-2009, 07:20 PM
You know, my first Jeep was a '64 CJ-5. My next was a '76. When I bought the '76, I remember why I sold the '64. :) Are they any better?

I am enjoying mine immensely. As much wrenching I see my friends do on theirs I find having a new one to be awesome.

fins2right
05-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Hopped on the "I" southbound today for the trek down to Yarmouth. The further south I went, the harder it rained. Fortunately, I am not suspicious, so I rubbed my lucky penny and drove on. The result? I was unhappy about the fact that I had to wait until the manager finished lunch before he would see me. :( He quickly apologized and replaced the unit without even having to see the receipt (which I had with me). He even set the unit up for me. I meant to find a few caches this evening, but ran out of time. Overall, I really think that Delorme could improve the customer service a little. However they did not even question the reasons that I wanted to make a return and I was in and out of the store in under 20 minutes. So I would give it a solid 6 out of 10. I overheard a potential customer ask if Delorme has classes for thier products and the sales clerk said no. Which led me to think that they probably could make 4 hour classes that people would pay a small amount to attend. I would have. I really like my PN-20 and just playing around the house with the 40, I really think that it will be a nice unit. The maps are certainly better and the $30 unlimited downloads is a good deal. So as soon as I get out for a solid multiple cache day, I will report back. I'm considering taking Friday morning off and heading back for China. We'll see. An upside was that I got to go across the street and make a find that I DNF'd a few weeks ago. (it had been muggled) :D

fins2right
05-15-2009, 08:32 PM
So I have my second PN-40 all set and loaded up to head for China and 12 dubord 207 caches when, you guessed it, it failed. :mad:

I returned it to Delorme today for my cash back. :(

I purchased a new Garmin Oregon 400t at LL Bean. Now I just have to figure it out.

All things being even, I really am a fan of my PN-20 and do not regret that purchase for a second. I've never used a garmin, so I guess I'll have to get used to it.

hollora
05-15-2009, 08:40 PM
So I have my second PN-40 all set and loaded up to head for China and 12 dubord 207 caches when, you guessed it, it failed. :mad:

I returned it to Delorme today for my cash back. :(

I purchased a new Garmin Oregon 400t at LL Bean. Now I just have to figure it out.

All things being even, I really am a fan of my PN-20 and do not regret that purchase for a second. I've never used a garmin, so I guess I'll have to get used to it.

Not a Garmin Oregon owner ~ but ~ I do trust TAT who told me, when inquiring for a friend to Google Oregon Garmin and find the Wiki for advice and instructions.

There are a few folks here fhow have and use the Oregon so they may be another resource. Hope this one is better for you.

Ekidokai
05-15-2009, 11:57 PM
Wow, what a run of bad luck. Jason and I went out a few weeks ago and he has a PN-40. I watched as he loaded caches and located caches. That one seemed to work well.

I have been checking on that model and a ton of people are experiencing the same problem. I hope they get it fixed soon.

52% of the ones sold at Wal mart have been returned. I can't search for the reasons as the people at the service desk don't usually fill out the returns with a lot of info but that seems to be a lot.