View Full Version : How do you plan a day of caching?

benandtina
05-07-2009, 09:05 AM
I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question. If it is not, please let me know!

How do you go about planning a day of caching?

I have a book of Maine Scenic Drives and I plotted a route from it in to Google Earth, then uploaded that to geocaching.com to find caches along the route. I think I did something wrong, though, because the route my Garmin came up with to visit all of the caches was significantly different than my original route.

Other than that one route, all of the caches we have found have been by chance. We have 500 nearby caches loaded in our Garmin (we used PQs and the GSAK software) and whenever we drive by one it beeps. If we hear a beep and have time, we stop and find the cache.

I suppose I could drive down random roads and wait to hear the beep, but I would rather do something that takes us further off the beaten path. Any suggestions? Do you just go on geocaching.com, pick a spot on the map and hit all of them? Is there a more organized way to do this?

Also, if you can suggest specific routes/areas in Maine we could plan geocaching day trips around I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

brdad
05-07-2009, 09:53 AM
You should get several different responses to this question, we all approach it differently.

I've come to my own conclusion that if you have an objective to go somewhere, then plot a route and do the caches you want along the way. Doing this has the disadvantage of missing a nice cache that might be just outside the limits of the route, and having to decide in a short amount of time if you feel a particular cache is worth stopping for at that time.

But if your objective is to cache, then you should search for some caches that are the quality and style you'd like to search for, and adjust your route to those. The cache density of many areas makes it hard to decide while which ones strike your mood for the day while on the road, it helps to do a bit of homework ahead of time.

GSAK makes it easy to browse through all Maine caches in a particular area, or you can use import PQs into Google Earth and look for potential caches in the areas you'd like to visit. (There used to be an add on for Google Earth so you could view all caches without loading a PQ, but that feature has just been removed from the site). You can also use the Geocaching.com maps.

When I do go caching in state, I have all my unfound Maine caches loaded in the PDAs as well as the laptop if we take it. Now that I have a Nuvi, I load all unfound Maine caches on that as well. I load as many caches as I can onto the GPSrs, centered around the area I think I am going. This method allows us to change our minds and go in a different direction and still have access to all the caches.

pm28570
05-07-2009, 10:07 AM
uhhhh........I think you covered it very well.

You should get several different responses to this question, we all approach it differently.

I've come to my own conclusion that if you have an objective to go somewhere, then plot a route and do the caches you want along the way. Doing this has the disadvantage of missing a nice cache that might be just outside the limits of the route, and having to decide in a short amount of time if you feel a particular cache is worth stopping for at that time.

But if your objective is to cache, then you should search for some caches that are the quality and style you'd like to search for, and adjust your route to those. The cache density of many areas makes it hard to decide while which ones strike your mood for the day while on the road, it helps to do a bit of homework ahead of time.

GSAK makes it easy to browse through all Maine caches in a particular area, or you can use import PQs into Google Earth and look for potential caches in the areas you'd like to visit. (There used to be an add on for Google Earth so you could view all caches without loading a PQ, but that feature has just been removed from the site). You can also use the Geocaching.com maps.

When I do go caching in state, I have all my unfound Maine caches loaded in the PDAs as well as the laptop if we take it. Now that I have a Nuvi, I load all unfound Maine caches on that as well. I load as many caches as I can onto the GPSrs, centered around the area I think I am going. This method allows us to change our minds and go in a different direction and still have access to all the caches.

masterson of the universe
05-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Like you, I have 900+ unfound caches loaded into my GPS all the time. Not being a premium member due to the amount of time I have to cache, I don't have access to the PQ's, rendering GSAK useless to me. (It's confusing anyway as I haven't taken the time to learn it) I just keep a map loaded with those 900+ caches and just remove the ones I've found. I'm sure PQ's would be much faster but it sounds like we do the same thing in keeping a bunch of locals loaded.

I search and download about the first 30 screens worth of caches surrounding 04401 as I live in Brewer. I leave out puzzles, virtuals, and some multi's as I usually wont have printouts or cache info. I do the same for the other three zips where family members live, but I only download about 10 screens worth of each. Once I am done, to close out the gaps, I usually will pick a zip in the middle of the two areas to get some random ones. I usually update the map / GPS on a weekly basis so that I always have fairly current info. If I am going somewhere else, I'll create a map for that particular area and grab a few screens worth of downloads. Some of the pages I'll print, others aren't really needed.

Again, I'm sure this is the hard way but where time is usually a factor for me, I try to pick one particular area and get everything around rather than long stretches along a route, primarily because once you get children napping in a car, you don't want to wake them up if you don't have to.

Haffy
05-07-2009, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE
(There used to be an add on for Google Earth so you could view all caches without loading a PQ, but that feature has just been removed from the site). [/QUOTE]

Yeah so much for the so-called 200 people who used it according to GCcom. I was among those who used it to. :mad:

Mapachi
05-07-2009, 10:54 AM
I go to geocaching.com and go to the home site. I click on the map icon on the right. I put a check in "omit caches I have found" and a check in "omit Caches placed by me". Next I use the "hand" tool to drag the map over the route I plan to travel and pick caches that appear along the route. You can click on them and read the description. If you want to do it I put it on a paper list. I will do this for the whole route, listing them one after the other. You can tell the quickest way to the cache as you do this. Your GPSr may tell you another is closer but you'll know better. I do those caches in the order of the list I make.
This is good if you are picking an area to do. Pan out on the map and pick the quickest route to each cache. This saves a lot of time and stops a lot of backtracking and yo-yoing. (Is that a word?)
Also, a list lets you add little notes on the caches you find, like "took TB, left TB ". It helps later, when logging caches in. If you log them in the order of the list, it becomes easy to keep your numbers in order.

benandtina
05-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone!

I think I'll give plotting something on Google Earth a try again, since it sounds like brdad has had success with it.

The Google Earth caching screen sounds really neat! I'm sorry they removed it :o(

masterson of the universe, I tried getting the coordinates the way you do but I didn't think to leave out the multi's, puzzles, etc. so there were a few times that I went to random coordinates and had no clue what to do, haha. Oops! It sounds like you have this down to quite a science, I'm impressed!

benandtina
05-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Your GPSr may tell you another is closer but you'll know better. I do those caches in the order of the list I make.
This is good if you are picking an area to do. Pan out on the map and pick the quickest route to each cache. This saves a lot of time and stops a lot of backtracking and yo-yoing.

I'll try this!!! When I did this before I let my GPS re-calculate an optimal route. We ended up on a lot of backwoods roads. None were marked private, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were. It wasn't TOO horrible until we ended up on a dirt road... the day after it rained heavily... lol. We had to turn around and have the GPS re-calculate a new route.

Team V3
05-07-2009, 11:12 AM
For me it is not an exact science. Sometimes, I just opt to go for the closest ones available. Sometimes, if we are going to a certain store or location I will try to find the caches that are closest to that particular spot. My wife and son, while they like to cache, aren't into it as much as I am so usually it is not the only project on any given day, just an added treat.

brdad
05-07-2009, 11:52 AM
With Google Earth you are also limited to the closest or fastest route.

With Google maps you can create custom routes which can be exported to GPX or KML and used in Google Earth or for gc.com PQs. I have done this on big trips, like our recent 2600 mile trip in the south. This way, you can select just what roads you will be on, which makes the proximity distance more efficient.

robt
05-07-2009, 01:25 PM
I have 2 different ways to do it depending on my goal,

1. I have no goal other than to Cache. I load all the caches that I have in gsak to my map software and look to see where the most or most interesting caches that I find for they day and buuild the rout there to get what I want in the most efficent way I see. After I get the route figured out a use Gsak to filter down to the ones in the general direction I was to go and load that and the route to the GPS.

2. If I my purpose is to go somewhere or at least in a general direction I still load the caches from gsak into my map software and them set the sart and finish of the route. After that I pick the route based on what caches are on the way and other personal preferences and filter Gsak to give me the caches that would cover that route and load the route and caches into my GPS.

But this is leveraging Gsaks features to keep cache reccords up to date and pq to send me all the caches in maine and border areas of NH and CA. I generally have about 4000 caches in gsak at any time.

later this month I am going to play with sites caches along a route feature for a trip out of state as I need to download all the caches between here and PA in a pretty wide swatch.

But for what it is worth that is my approach let me know if you need the details on how as I only gave the 40k foot view on that.

benandtina
05-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks robt! I think I understand the general idea of what you do, but I do have a question... what sort of mapping software are you using?

WhereRWe?
05-07-2009, 04:49 PM
I'll try this!!! When I did this before I let my GPS re-calculate an optimal route. We ended up on a lot of backwoods roads. None were marked private, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were. It wasn't TOO horrible until we ended up on a dirt road... the day after it rained heavily... lol. We had to turn around and have the GPS re-calculate a new route.

Make an effort to attend the geocaching event this Saturday. There'll be plenty of people there to demonstrate their toys, and the techniques they use.

:D:D

robt
05-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks robt! I think I understand the general idea of what you do, but I do have a question... what sort of mapping software are you using?

I currently use Delorme topo 7 but have used the Delorme Street atlas and Garmin's topo program but any map program that you have that supports loading of a gpx file.

fins2right
05-08-2009, 07:27 AM
We mix it up. Before even looking at GC.com we try to think of an area within a reasonable distance that we haven't cached yet. (This excludes day trips to Fort Kent, although I would like to camp up there and try it). We then look up all the caches in the area we chose and go for it. I will try and go on GC.com at times just to look for cache density. I try to get an area that has 10-20+ caches to make the trip fun. You don't have to go far, there are still 60+ caches in the City of Augusta alone that we haven't found yet. Soon. Very soon. Depending on how fast I fix the deck. :(

dubord207
05-08-2009, 04:46 PM
First things first. The beer has to be cold so put a lot of ice in the cooler. If you're doing easy caches then 2 beers should get you through the day.

If you'rfe doing RoundTop or Looking Ragged, you will look ragged after so bring 3 beers.

Bringing sandwiches and snacks is also of critical importance. No time to stop at ma and pa convenience stores and load up on bad carbs. Bring the celery sticks and carrots and don't forget water and treats for the dogs.

Now you're ready to cache and unless you map out a complete route before you leave the house, you going to "random cache." Most of the time I'll use Portland, or Lewiston or some other city at the center point on gsak and use 20 to 25 miles as the filter. This will result in lots of caches being downloaded. Usually when we head "towards" Portland, the closest ones start around Falmouth or Cumberland. If you let the Nuvi pick the next closest cache each time, you may end up in Windham, Biddeford, Oxford and never get anywhere near Portland!! And you know what, some of our best days caching have been when we just go where the Nuvi takes us and usually when we've done enough and Di says "Where are we?" I don't have a clue! Doesn't matter. We were caching and when we've had enough I hit "go home" on the Nuvi and that's it.

I really do believe the picnics we pack add a lot to the caching experience!

WhereRWe?
05-08-2009, 04:54 PM
First things first. The beer has to be cold so put a lot of ice in the cooler. If you're doing easy caches then 2 beers should get you through the day.

Sheesh! :eek::eek: That's gotta be a typo. You mean 12, right? ;);)

dubord207
05-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Depends on whether we're adding a "sleepover" to the day!:) They do call lawyers' groups "BAR Associations!" We try to represent the geo-community in the highest standards so we're reasonably conservative in our consumption of malt beverages......except when we get home and then it's "Katie bar the door!"

Sheesh! :eek::eek: That's gotta be a typo. You mean 12, right? ;);)

brdad
05-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Personally I don't think it's a good image to portray, needing to have beer to enjoy caching. Especially on a road trip! Of course, maybe if I started drinking while on caching road trips, I wouldn't care what city I was in or what caches I found!

benandtina
05-08-2009, 07:22 PM

If you'rfe doing RoundTop or Looking Ragged, you will look ragged after so bring 3 beers.

Oh boy! Better not tell my husband about this suggestion... if I do I'll likely end up the permanent Caching Designated Driver, lol.

Bring the celery sticks and carrots and don't forget water and treats for the dogs.

Speaking of dogs, ours is completely confused by this whole caching thing. He gets all excited while we search... then he stares at us with this "You did WORK to find something that isn't food?" look. He thinks we are fools.

pjpreb
05-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Some of our favorite caching trips were all day hikes for one smiley. Might I recommend "Gorge-ous" (GCPRTB).

pm28570
05-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Yup....ya gotta love an ammo can at the end of a nice hike. They seem few and far between.
On the other hand....that GRC is nice around the 3rd week of February.

Some of our favorite caching trips were all day hikes for one smiley. Might I recommend "Gorge-ous" (GCPRTB).

WhereRWe?
05-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Personally I don't think it's a good image to portray, needing to have beer to enjoy caching. Especially on a road trip! Of course, maybe if I started drinking while on caching road trips, I wouldn't care what city I was in or what caches I found!

Sheesh! You don't need a beer to enjoy caching. You enjoy the beer AFTER you've enjoyed the caching! LOL! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

dubord207
05-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Exactly! But Sheesh, brdad. what's up with you? You lose your sense of humor or just don't have a sense of humor? C'mon, we're trying to have a little fun here! Nothing I've posted suggests anything illegal. You can have a beer or two and still drive legally in this state last time I checked.:confused:

Sheesh! You don't need a beer to enjoy caching. You enjoy the beer AFTER you've enjoyed the caching! LOL! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

dubord207
05-09-2009, 06:36 PM
So what "image" would you suggest? I like the image of the cachers I was with today who were out in force and gathered to honor a true Maine geocaching legend and a gentleman who always offers positive help to his fellow cachers. Didn't take any computer postings to have a very positive day for me, my wife and my fellow cachers. Oh, and I did have a beer with my caching friends after doing a cache after the event and I didn't blemish the sport one bit!

Would have been nice if you'd been there to see the smiles. Too bad to see another of your totally negative posts in your efforts to demean those of us who have fun playing this game. You ought to come to an event like this sometime and see what's really going on. Trust me when I tell you when there were no "image" issues at today's or any geocaching gatherings I've attended. IT'S A GAME AND I HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR!!!!

05-09-2009, 07:42 PM
C'mon now boys....Play nice or go at in PM's...

brdad
05-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Perhaps I'd have more of a sense of humor if I had not lost a friend to someone who was legally drinking and driving.

We all have our topics that touch a soft spot now and then. For Bruce it is politics (ok, that's just one of em ;)), You don't seem to like anyone to claim a cache can be lame, and for me, I guess I have a hard job finding humor in the loss of a friend in return for someone having a few legal drinks while driving.

WhereRWe?
05-10-2009, 06:55 AM
and for me, I guess I have a hard job finding humor in the loss of a friend in return for someone having a few legal drinks while driving.

I don't think any of us are advocating "drinking while driving", and I for one can certainly understand where you're coming from. That's why my earlier comment was to enjoy the beer AFTER you enjoy the caching. :D:D

brdad
05-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Ni big deal, all this talk is not helping original the topic at all. Lets move on.

WhereRWe?
05-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Ni big deal, all this talk is not helping original the topic at all. Lets move on.

Good idea. We've pretty well exhausted the subject of what to bring to drink on a caching trip, now lets talk about the FOOD. Kettle-cooked potato chips!

;);)

Haffy
05-10-2009, 09:58 AM
And certainly no GRITS.....:D

kayaking loon
05-10-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm basically a very low tech person. So when I plan a caching trip, I decide first where I want to go, as in what town. Bring up the caches, find one I really want, then scroll down and click on geocaching.com Google maps. Hit the minus button so the map is covering a larger area. There will be smileys for ones you've already found, stars for ones you've placed and all the rest are up for grabs. Select the ones you want following along the roads in order, load them into your GPS one by one using the new improved easy way of doing that. And you're off!

Team2hunt
05-10-2009, 06:59 PM
I once said I would not drive by a cache I could walk to. Then I realized, ( thanks TAT ) that you can walk to most of them.

After we had been caching for awhile I started to read posts, and see places I wanted to visit. For us it was our fascination with water and waterfalls. So we chose to try and find caches around waterfalls, lakes, and rivers. Searching cache names with waterfalls in them was where we started. Then it was logging caches above 2500'. Every so often we shift our focus and look for something different. It's not where, but that you are out enjoying the hunt.

Or. Just load up the GPS and hit the road. An Uncle Wiggly adventure.

WhereRWe?
05-10-2009, 07:36 PM

Sheesh! Uncle Wiggly! I haven't heard that name in years - and I wouldn't have though that you were old enough to know about him! LOL!

Team2hunt
05-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Sheesh! Uncle Wiggly! I haven't heard that name in years - and I wouldn't have though that you were old enough to know about him! LOL!

"It is refreshing to hear stories that feature characters getting along with each other. The recurring themes of treating friends and acquaintances the way you want to be treated and cooperating to solve problems are important messages for audiences of all ages."

There's more there than you might have expected. :rolleyes:

05-10-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm only 31 but believe I recall having some sort of Uncle Wiggly board game?

Sudonim
05-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I once said I would not drive by a cache I could walk to. Then I realized, ( thanks TAT ) that you can walk to most of them.

After we had been caching for awhile I started to read posts, and see places I wanted to visit. For us it was our fascination with water and waterfalls. So we chose to try and find caches around waterfalls, lakes, and rivers. Searching cache names with waterfalls in them was where we started. Then it was logging caches above 2500'. Every so often we shift our focus and look for something different. It's not where, but that you are out enjoying the hunt.

I got to be the same way, looking for something different, or a 'theme'. When the DeLorme challenge came out, I was reinvigorated into the game, a new goal to meet. Then I realized that nobody had completed all the caches placed in 2001 (the first year for caches in Maine). That was my goal. When I met that, I wanted to do all the '02 and '03 caches (still working that one!).
Then it was a cache in each New England state, just got the last one this week.
It's all in what motivates you, and what you want to get out of the game. Just like golf, you are only playing against yourself. Exceed your own expectations and you will be rewarded.