View Full Version : Pictures of Caches

Listener83
05-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Hey all,

Quick question: Is it kosher to take a picture of the cache container (not the cache site, which would be a spoiler) to post in the albums? Or, does that count as too much of a clue of what to look for?

Thanks,

Listener83

Team V3
05-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Different people have different opinions on this. Often times, cache owners will say "no spoilers" on the pictures which I usually would interpret as a no.

masterson of the universe
05-12-2009, 09:48 AM
If you are posting it on here rather than the acutal GC.com listing it, who cares? It personally like looking at everyones albums and looking back, wish I had brought my camera with me on the few that I've done. I can remember most of the locations if I read the cache description over again but had I had a camera with me, I wouldn't have to think about where I'd been. Snap away.

Team V3
05-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Good point. I was thinking they were referring to the logs of the cache themselves.

masterson of the universe
05-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Really, unless it specifically asks on the listing not to post pictures which are spoilers, why not? I know I've had help on a couple caches here and there from looking at the background and whatnot in other peoples photos. It's also helped me avoid caches that I may not feel like doing because of how the weather effects the area. One example is the Homeworld series. Being rather soggy this time of year, I might have gone out after them not realizing what I was in for had it not been for the peoples photos. Personally, I'd like to see more pictures and need to start taking more myself. It seems like that's something the veterans are good at.

On a side note, I'd like to see a lot more pictures of my TB's too..

Team V3
05-12-2009, 10:09 AM
I love it when people take pictures of my TBs. Speaking of which, I have come up with a cool idea for a new one. I have a toy Alien. I figure a cool mission would be to visit any cache with "Area 51" somewhere in the title. There are quite a few of them out there.

Haffy
05-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Like this photo I took last summer here in SC of an Area 51 virtual..

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/Cachingadventures034Small.jpg

pm28570
05-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Throw a blue tarp on it and it could be Maine......

Like this photo I took last summer here in SC of an Area 51 virtual..

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/Cachingadventures034Small.jpg

Team V3
05-12-2009, 10:39 AM
hehehe I have done a search on the keyword "Area 51". I was amazed how many had that name how widespread they were.

Team V3
05-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Eeks. I would not let me edit for my grammar. That should read AND how widespread they are. Damn morning typos. {Begins pouring his coffee}.

Listener83
05-12-2009, 10:54 AM
A blue tarp and duck tape!

Listener83
05-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the feed back. I'm surprised by how positive and supportive the caching community is. So different from mmorpg communities. I've posted the pictures. I took a pic of the cache but not one in relation to where I found it (aside from being within the same sprawling park).

If somebody thinks it's too much of a spoiler, shoot me an email. I'll file it appropriately.

benandtina
05-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks for all the feed back. I'm surprised by how positive and supportive the caching community is. So different from mmorpg communities. I've posted the pictures. I took a pic of the cache but not one in relation to where I found it (aside from being within the same sprawling park).

If somebody thinks it's too much of a spoiler, shoot me an email. I'll file it appropriately.

Great pics! I don't think they are spoilers at all :o)

Your dog is beautiful and LOL at the plastic baggie coverup.

benandtina
05-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Random, but... should I be able to edit my posts? I keep using a smiley that the forum isn't a fan of.

benandtina
05-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Eeek, I didn't mean to ask that here. Sorry about that! I just thought to ask as soon as I noticed that the smiley in my post was messed up. Oops. I should have asked on the Forum Questions board, lol. My mistake.

Team V3
05-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Listener, a bit off topic here but I was curious. Some of the MMORPG forums I frequent aren't bad at all (just some individuals). Which games do you play? You can PM me so we do not bore the non-gamers. :)

Ekidokai
05-12-2009, 12:20 PM
What is mmorpg?

Listener, a bit off topic here but I was curious. Some of the MMORPG forums I frequent aren't bad at all (just some individuals). Which games do you play? You can PM me so we do not bore the non-gamers. :)

Haffy
05-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Just a thought but maybe if we ask the board politely they might reconsider the ability to edit our posts for lets say a set time of like 15 minutes or so. We used to have that ability but it was taken away because of some misuse some time ago. It only takes one bad apple to spoil it for the rest of us. Hey you board members!!!! You listening out there?

Team V3
05-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Online gaming, such as World Of Warcraft. I myself play Guild Wars. Most of them cost an additional monthly fee to play but Guild Wars does not. You can find many sites about them if they are interested but feel free to send me a message if its something that interests you.

Ekidokai
05-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I can edit mine.

Haffy
05-12-2009, 12:25 PM
What is mmorpg?

Yea what he said..lol. You might want to try here: http://www.mmorpg.com/index.cfm?bhcp=1

Haffy
05-12-2009, 12:28 PM
I can edit mine.

Editing abilities are available for donating members only.

Ekidokai
05-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Oh good lord. I should have known. No, I don't do those things.

Ekidokai
05-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Pictures of caches and TB's at the caches in my opinion are wonderful. I wish I just took more.

Team V3
05-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Hehehehe They are not for everyone (MMORPGs). That's why I did not go into detail. And I love cache pictures but more of the general area. Some of the best pictures are caches near water.

WhereRWe?
05-12-2009, 12:46 PM
I love it when people take pictures of my TBs.

Sheesh! Must be time to post my picture of our GeoMaine Furby TB on the Great Wall of China! LOL!

And I don;t think it's a good idea to post a picture of a cache container - unless it's just the contents of a lock-n-lock box, or something. Never a picture of a "unique" container, or something like that. :D

(Oh yeah - the GeoMaine Furby TB just got back from a LONG stay in New Zealand and is currently in California.)

WhereRWe?
05-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Yea what he said..lol. You might want to try here: http://www.mmorpg.com/index.cfm?bhcp=1

I prefer this one:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/46

Look me up on the Sayha server as "ShortFatNUglier"

:D:D

benandtina
05-12-2009, 01:57 PM
GeoMaine Furby is the cutest thing ever!

Haffy
05-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Sheesh! Must be time to post my picture of our GeoMaine Furby TB on the Great Wall of China! LOL!

And I don;t think it's a good idea to post a picture of a cache container - unless it's just the contents of a lock-n-lock box, or something. Never a picture of a "unique" container, or something like that. :D

(Oh yeah - the GeoMaine Furby TB just got back from a LONG stay in New Zealand and is currently in California.)

Hey Bruce you ought to block out the TB # though don't you think?

Ekidokai
05-12-2009, 02:14 PM
What a trip. The picture is so good I could discover it.

brdad
05-12-2009, 03:18 PM
I hate to bring a thread back on topic, but I'd be hesitant to post pics of many caches, even more so a local one, and even more so if you state which cache it is.

I don't specify on any of my caches that I would not like to have a photo taken, but they are all camouflaged in different ways, and while most are nothing super unique or of a style unfamiliar to many, I would prefer it be left for the cache finder to enjoy in person. Of course, if I was contacted and asked, I might be willing to give my blessing for the right reason.

Example: If you hid the cache below, would you want others posting pics of it in a local forum?

http://bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/spoilerpic.jpg

Listener83
05-12-2009, 04:12 PM
That cache is so-- Well, it's so cool that I can't say how cool it is without using language better reserved to rim a margarita glass.

When I asked this question I was hoping for a yes or no answer. Unfortunately, I got a yes and no answer. Brdad raises a very good point. I've arrived at the conclusion that if the hiding of the cache is not intrinsic to the reward of the cache, than I will post pics of the cache in my albums on geocachingmaine. If, on the other hand, the artistry of the cache lies in its camouflage, like the example given by brdad, then I will decide on a case by case basis, give ample spoiler alerts outside the album, and adjust my choice based on any expressed wishes of the cache's creator. I think that should cover all bases.

BTW: Where did that cache come from? It's amazing!

brdad
05-12-2009, 04:34 PM
I think that's a very good conclusion to come to.

This particular cache is reportedly in California. To narrow it down any further might be against my values! however, a Google Image (http://images.google.com/) search for smallest geocache container might point you closer, as well as give you other ideas. ;)

Another option with some caches - you can take an image from an angle which doesn't give the outside of the container away as easily.

Listener83
05-12-2009, 04:59 PM
I think that's a very good conclusion to come to.

This particular cache is reportedly in California. To narrow it down any further might be against my values! however, a Google Image (http://images.google.com/) search for smallest geocache container might point you closer, as well as give you other ideas. ;)

Another option with some caches - you can take an image from an angle which doesn't give the outside of the container away as easily.

CA? I heard they shoot people out there for poaching avocados. My admiration for that cache creator grows.

WhereRWe?
05-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Hey Bruce you ought to block out the TB # though don't you think?

Yeah - I though about that - but I decided I'd see what happened. I have a slightly different picture without the TB number, but it isn't as good. :D:D

benandtina
05-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Sorry if this is a newb question :o) Why is the TB# being visible a concern?

WhereRWe?
05-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Sorry if this is a newb question :o) Why is the TB# being visible a concern?

Someone could "grab" it, and place it wherever they want - or hold it hostage.

Neveer a good idea to have a TB number showing in a picture.

:D:D

Haffy
05-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Fixed it for yah...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/furbychina.jpg

benandtina
05-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Haha, I was in the process of doing the same thing :) Haffy beat me to it!

WhereRWe?
05-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Haha, I was in the process of doing the same thing :) Haffy beat me to it!

Thanks to you and Haffy.

I'd like to see some other interesting TB pictures, though!

(Sheesh! I thought it was the GeoMaine Furby that was photographed in the Hooters in Shanghai (http://img.geocaching.com/track/log/display/6d5c168c-0af4-4908-b7e7-246fe2e44cea.jpg) - it was our Maine Chickadee Plate TB! I must be getting old...)