View Full Version : Mapachi Injured in caching mishap!

dubord207
05-15-2009, 06:30 PM
For those of you that know Mapachi, real name Patrick, this is news about my geo-buddy!

Apparently he was injured while calling a lifeline this afternoon (me) and tripped over a six inch tall clump of grass that was negligently, willfully, wantonly ignored by the cache placer in total disregard of said grass's potential to cause serious bodily injury, pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of consortium and of course the inability to cache without having a to employ a caching surrogate to sign logs.

My initial assessment of damages is that they are somewhat less then one might expect due to the fact that it was the left wrist that was fractured and of course Pat is so far from the "left" that no claim for pain and suffering could ever be supported by the facts.

So open reduction is scheduled for Monday and I will be scrubbing up with the surgical team posing as a "para-nurse" to insure he doesn't incur any furthur impairment at the hands of the ob/gyn doctor who volunteered to do the surgery. Apparently the present recession is affecting the medical profession and they too are "cross-training" and trying different procedures to make ends meet! Hope it's a boy, Pat!

(Seriously, he did break his wrist caching!)

shuman road searchers
05-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Why is it that Patrick only gets hurt ( walking stick in the crotch ) when you are present (in person or on the phone ) ?!

cachecrashers4
05-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Another victim of distracted walking? Time to ban cellphone use everywhere but padded rooms with no furniture.

hollora
05-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Holy snikies.........and I am the one who continually falls on caching adventures........ask anyone but Ekidokai (for some reason the day I was out with him I stayed upright!).

Seriously - Mapachi, no more hikes for you.......Nano, nano, hano - opps, maybe you won't be able to extract the log..........well, bring along shotgun - but it looks like she might have been with you today.........urghhhh.........not great.

Last Sunday - Ralph was wondering about our adventures as I was driving the 4 Runner across a trestle one handed and taking pictures with the other hand.........

Sorry to hear about an accident - we will all sign your cast.........how long is it on for??? Maybe we need a cast signing event in Ellsworth in a few weeks????

Seriously - God Bless!

Team Richards
05-15-2009, 08:18 PM
PAT!!! I felt bad when you fell doing one of our caches but I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.
Rule number 53~ always cache with a lawyer.
and a nurse, and a EMT
You know if we hook a TB tag to your cast we can get credit for signing. and if you have to stay in one spot for a while we may as well hide a micro in it.
Not that it's about the numbers you know we would visit you even if there are no caches around.

Hope you feel better soon.

Cache Happy and carry a first-aid kit

fins2right
05-15-2009, 08:28 PM
When the cast is off, is he planning to turn it into a hide? :rolleyes:

hollora
05-15-2009, 08:35 PM
PAT!!! I felt bad when you fell doing one of our caches but I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.
Rule number 53~ always cache with a lawyer.
and a nurse, and a EMT
You know if we hook a TB tag to your cast we can get credit for signing. and if you have to stay in one spot for a while we may as well hide a micro in it.
Not that it's about the numbers you know we would visit you even if there are no caches around.

Hope you feel better soon.

Cache Happy and carry a first-aid kit

Wasn't that shovel you got for Christmas something which could be used as a splint? But alas, who carries a shovel this time of year?

I agree - a TB on the cast - very cool! And you could send it on it's way (or half of it) when it's cut off........that and all signed with cacher names.

pm28570
05-15-2009, 09:05 PM
First and foremost, I hope everything turns out ok and that you are fine. Remember, next time, don't put your hand out to break the fall! Now with that said,

1. Happy to fill in as resident curmudgeon if needed....and 2) turn the cast (if there is one) into a traveling cache.

Take care of yourself.

pm28570
05-15-2009, 10:02 PM
1. Happy to fill in as resident curmudgeon if needed....

Not to be confused with WhereRWe of course.

Trick or Treat
05-15-2009, 10:57 PM
that's terrible! I have to ask though, did you find the cache??

brewmaine
05-15-2009, 11:02 PM
I Hope you get well soon Pat!! If I don't watch my step I'll be joining the list of injured while caching I recall when you took me out for a couple of your caches you pointed out I need to watch where I'm walking or else I'll walk into something or worse walk off a cliff and right when you said that I realized I wasn't watching where I was going I was just looking down at the gps so I see how easy you or anyone for that matter can get hurt if there not careful and where there walking.

pjpreb
05-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Ack! Broken stuff isn't good! :eek: Hope you heal quickly!

Ekidokai
05-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Holy crap! What a bad break.

I had to keep a close eye on Hollora when we went out. I didn't want to have to explain myself to Ralph when we got back. Maybe I'll have to go out with you to keep you safe as well.

Get well soon. Be careful.

Mainiac1957
05-16-2009, 06:32 AM

I had to keep a close eye on Hollora when we went out. I didn't want to have to explain myself to Ralph when we got back. Maybe I'll have to go out with you to keep you safe as well.

Ralph is used to Lois coming home with grass stains and mud on her.....heheh:rolleyes:

Mainiac1957
05-16-2009, 06:33 AM
A quick and speedy recovery to you. Just gotta watch those pesky grass clumps. They do like to jump in front of you.

kayaking loon
05-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Pat, I'm so sorry about your broken wrist! I broke my left wrist a couple of years ago (while taking an icy AM walk, not caching) and it wasn't any fun. It's hard to do things one handed. And then, after weeks, when the cast comes off, you realize you have FINALLY learned how to do most things one-handed... But for a bit, Stan had to learn to cook and wash dishes. :) (Yes, there were bright spots...)

Hope it gets better soon. And invest in a good LL Bean walking stick, that in the right hand and the GPS in the left and maybe you'll stay upright from now on. It helps to watch your feet too.....

Mapachi
05-16-2009, 10:41 AM
When the cast is off, is he planning to turn it into a hide? :rolleyes:
i could turn it into a birch log cache! thanks for the idea!!

Mapachi
05-16-2009, 10:46 AM
that's terrible! I have to ask though, did you find the cache??
what kind of cache fanatic do you think i am? of corse i did! i did have to point it out to shotgun (with my good hand!) who retrieved it for me and signed the log before taking me to the hospital.

Mapachi
05-16-2009, 10:56 AM

i bushwhack in a straight line....over logs, limbs, and stumps, through thickets and brambles. dan says i sound like a rouge bull elephant rampaging thu the forest...........AND YOU?.....LOL thanks for all the good wishes.
dan is picking me up at the hospital, after my operation on monday, to take me out caching.......if the anesthesia has worn off!

Mapachi
05-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Pat, I'm so sorry about your broken wrist! I broke my left wrist a couple of years ago (while taking an icy AM walk, not caching) and it wasn't any fun. It's hard to do things one handed. And then, after weeks, when the cast comes off, you realize you have FINALLY learned how to do most things one-handed... But for a bit, Stan had to learn to cook and wash dishes. :) (Yes, there were bright spots...)

Hope it gets better soon. And invest in a good LL Bean walking stick, that in the right hand and the GPS in the left and maybe you'll stay upright from now on. It helps to watch your feet too.....
well, gail says she won't wash my false teeth for me; so i'll learn how to eat without teeth! that's one good thing!

masterson of the universe
05-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Talk about a dedicated cacher... Not quite there yet, breaks a wrist, and still continues on to get the cache. Hope it heals up well.

dubord207
05-16-2009, 12:55 PM
If you're caching with me on monday then you better have your choppers in! I don't cache with people who are gummin' it!

well, gail says she won't wash my false teeth for me; so i'll learn how to eat without teeth! that's one good thing!

tandemstoker
05-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Mapachi,
Sorry to hear of your appointment on Monday with the Orthopedic Surgeon. I know the territory, when you have your cast-off party maybe we can compare scars where the pins were inserted in our wrists. Perhaps you won't need pins, those little buggers feel like wasps inside the cast.

There is no reason you can't navigate and direct your minions to locate caches. I know you can do it, I've seen it. :-)

shuman road searchers
05-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Is that some sort of reference to "fetch Jim Fetch"?! When I was in school I broke my left wrist,both bones in the forearm! You are right that pins suck!

Mapachi
05-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Mapachi,
Sorry to hear of your appointment on Monday with the Orthopedic Surgeon. I know the territory, when you have your cast-off party maybe we can compare scars where the pins were inserted in our wrists. Perhaps you won't need pins, those little buggers feel like wasps inside the cast.

There is no reason you can't navigate and direct your minions to locate caches. I know you can do it, I've seen it. :-)
gee, thanks for ltting me know!.......I think.....
can't hurt more then it does right now!
It hurts worse then when I flattened my thumb on a metal stake with a sledge hammer!

EMSDanel
05-16-2009, 10:12 PM
My, oh my, Patrick...I'm just now reading about your mishap. So sorry....My own broken wrist really throbbed as the swelling rose under the new cast. Then, as it started to itch under there after a couple of weeks, I used a small paint brush with a long handle to slide under the cast and scratch. But I have to agree with the others that you should hide a cache in there and make it a mystery cache. Require people who find it post a picture with their log entry. I hope it mends well and that you are back on the trail fairly soon.....

vicbiker
05-17-2009, 05:37 AM
I remember all to well caching on crutches last fall...gave me a whole new outlook on those GRC's & LPC's for those that must deal everyday with handicaps...

kayaking loon
05-17-2009, 08:13 AM
[quote=tandemstoker;52293]Mapachi,
when you have your cast-off party maybe we can compare scars where the pins were inserted in our wrists.

Now there's an idea! Let's have a cast-off party for Pat when the time comes, make it an official event....

Gob-ler
05-17-2009, 08:45 AM
In order for Pat to have a mystery cache in his wrist the latest GC.Com guidelines specify that the cache cannot be moving and - - - - hey, that describes Pat to a tee!

Now the real question is . . . . . Is Shotgun taking adequate care of you? A busted up wrist can be pretty painful.

Please note that the word is Adequate! None of this hand and foot stuff!

Sabby
05-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Sorry to hear of your mishap Mapachi. I certainly hope you heal well.

As an older cacher I too have problems doing more than one thing at once. I make it a point to stop walking when I need to look at the GPS screen and spend more time looking at where I am going than at that "pointer arrow". Cell phone use requires a stop and sit down. Actually I "stop and sit down" a lot even when I do not have to make a call.

dubord207
05-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Surgery is tomorrow morning. Pat has agreed that he shouldn't cache for the first hour after he wakes up and shakes off the effects of the anesthesia. After that he wants to do Turkey Buzzard because it's close to home ( and an emergency room!). Last time he went he lost his keys but made it up and back without needing medical attention. I have a winch on my truck and a snatch block so I will in affect winch him up the hill. I have been practicing his signature so that when I sign the log for him it will appear authentic. I also have prepared a durable power of attorney he'll execute in my favor so I can post his logs for him if Gail declines to do so.

He's all set now! He'll be off the disabled list soon! :D:D

pm28570
05-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Hmmm.......strange.......no mention of Dan actually reading the GPSr for Pat. And a hill involved? Winches? POA? Signatures? Don'tcha love it when a plan comes together?;)
Hope Di is there for adult supervision.:D

Surgery is tomorrow morning. Pat has agreed that he shouldn't cache for the first hour after he wakes up and shakes off the effects of the anesthesia. After that he wants to do Turkey Buzzard because it's close to home ( and an emergency room!). Last time he went he lost his keys but made it up and back without needing medical attention. I have a winch on my truck and a snatch block so I will in affect winch him up the hill. I have been practicing his signature so that when I sign the log for him it will appear authentic. I also have prepared a durable power of attorney he'll execute in my favor so I can post his logs for him if Gail declines to do so.

Trick or Treat
05-17-2009, 01:13 PM

Dubord, where have you been all my life? I had plate and screws taken out of my elbow a few weeks ago and had shoulder surgery the same day. Caching hasn't been easy since then; must be because I didn't have you as my cache 'coach'. Next time I go under the knife, I'm asking for you although you better leave the winch and that other thing home! ;)

benandtina
05-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi! We don't really know you, but we wanted to wish you a speedy recovery! Feel better!

firefighterjake
05-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Hope you're up and at 'em soon Mapachi.

EvilHomer
05-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Broken wrist......hell I get pissed when I get a stick in the eye, I can't imagine breaking my wrist. :(

hide_from_the_kids
05-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Pat Let Me Know If You Need Anything I Got Fri-tues Off Just Give Me A Call.(prefer If You Sit Down When You Called)

dblbogey
05-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Hey Patrick, I just got word about your geocaching mishap. Being a mostly solo cacher, that's one of my biggest fears. Plus being an old timer I'm more fragile than those younger cachers. Maybe while you're out of commission, you can give lessons on fabricating tricky caches. Seriously my friend, If you need a co-pilot on some of your treks, I'm usually available.

dubord207
05-18-2009, 07:12 PM
The surgery apparently was a success. It's girl! Woops, wrong thread!

Pat says he's got 2 three inch drywall screws in his wrist, one which they took out of his skull from prior injuries he sustained at the Phish concert at Limestone. I'm not sure of the details of that injury and neither is he.

So I picked him up, well actually you don't pick somebody up that's just had surgery, and due to the anesthesia he said, and I quote "Burbppee dozen." He meant "Turkey Buzzard" and was doing this tip toe thing with his fingers and pointing up at the sky so we headed to Bond Brook road to check on conditions at the cache. I said " It's pretty steep Pat, whadda you think?" He mumbled something about "last time I got screwed a lawyer was involved", I didn't take the bait and said " Start climbing, big guy!

So it looked like they might have given him a blast of thorazine because after 15 minutes he'd only moved 3, maybe 4 feet, and in the wrong direction. Not a big problem so I urged him to carefully "head up the hill." He responded "Pill? I just took one!"

Seemed to me, he wasn't quite as sharp as he usually is so I loaded him back in the truck and headed back towards his house. And he says " Maybe a cup of coffee might wake me up. There's a place on route 3 in Vassalboro that has great coffee and the waitresses....."

Obviously, Patrick has survived the surgery and I am happy to report he's doing well and hopefully still has his sense of humor! Let's all hope shotgun (Gail) survives her new role as "nurse Gail!"

Mapachi
05-19-2009, 07:30 PM
The surgery apparently was a success. It's girl! Woops, wrong thread!

Pat says he's got 2 three inch drywall screws in his wrist, one which they took out of his skull from prior injuries he sustained at the Phish concert at Limestone. I'm not sure of the details of that injury and neither is he.

So I picked him up, well actually you don't pick somebody up that's just had surgery, and due to the anesthesia he said, and I quote "Burbppee dozen." He meant "Turkey Buzzard" and was doing this tip toe thing with his fingers and pointing up at the sky so we headed to Bond Brook road to check on conditions at the cache. I said " It's pretty steep Pat, whadda you think?" He mumbled something about "last time I got screwed a lawyer was involved", I didn't take the bait and said " Start climbing, big guy!

So it looked like they might have given him a blast of thorazine because after 15 minutes he'd only moved 3, maybe 4 feet, and in the wrong direction. Not a big problem so I urged him to carefully "head up the hill." He responded "Pill? I just took one!"

Seemed to me, he wasn't quite as sharp as he usually is so I loaded him back in the truck and headed back towards his house. And he says " Maybe a cup of coffee might wake me up. There's a place on route 3 in Vassalboro that has great coffee and the waitresses....."

Obviously, Patrick has survived the surgery and I am happy to report he's doing well and hopefully still has his sense of humor! Let's all hope shotgun (Gail) survives her new role as "nurse Gail!"

That was Dan??? I thought he was a taxi driver......Heck, I even gave him a $20 tip and he never said thanks! In fact he just left me laying there on my nieghbor's lawn....I think....Well that's where I woke up!

dubord207
05-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Here's what he sent me this morning:

AS MOSTNO I BROKE MEWHIST WHIEL GEOCDFSACHINGbacfrom hipotl...handallbeter..drugsssssoupurb1! phew c0xyblowdine goodstiff oporsatin wentwellll all betttternomw CXDAShe loNG nd pROspeR
MNJAPCI

Trick or Treat
05-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Mmmm, drugs.

EMSDanel
05-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Still chuckling after the past few comments.... Hey Dan......did you tell him about the tattoo they put under his cast?

dubord207
05-20-2009, 04:39 PM
I haven't told him about the scales of justice tatoo. He'll see it soon enough. He has other "problems" now. If any of you have taken any drugs that end in "codone" or "contin", one of the uncomfortable side effects is that the drugs numb your intestines so....

Anyway, not one to shy away from "home remedies," Pat went to the Hannaford in Augusta and now there is a shortage of prunes, actually there are none left, but as W would say: "Mission accomplished!"

I think he's going to make it!:D

EMSDanel
05-20-2009, 10:28 PM
You know.....as "Fleet" footed as he is, I'm sure everything will come out OK....

Waterski
05-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Hey Patrick....so sorry to hear about your broken arm! It was almost a year to the day last year when I broke my arm doing the cache on Cadillac Mountain. Maybe we can start some type of "cachers crash broken bone club "or something. We can't be alone. Take lots of pics of you caching with the cast or sling for reference in the next few month. Maybe dubord can be on "cachers crash "retainer for us all. Do you actually ever find the time to work dubord? So many caches...so little time to work...... Seriously though Patrick, you have my sympathy during your healing and therapy. I know how hard it is to open a cache container and try to do many other things with one hand. Good thing you have shotgun.

EMSDanel
05-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Hey Pat.....it has occurred to me: There's you, the injury prone; There's me in an ambulance; There's Dubord following the ambulance; Oh my....there's money to be made here.

In addition, the other Dan made reference to "loss of consortium". I take that to mean loss of fellowship with Garmin? Because I really don't want to get into what loss of consortium results from a wrist injury.......

Trick or Treat
05-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Hey Pat.....it has occurred to me: There's you, the injury prone; There's me in an ambulance; There's Dubord following the ambulance; Oh my....there's money to be made here.

In addition, the other Dan made reference to "loss of consortium". I take that to mean loss of fellowship with Garmin? Because I really don't want to get into what loss of consortium results from a wrist injury.......

I almost spit my drink out at that one!

ltlindian
05-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Ok, I had to look that up 'cause I didn't know what it meant. Then, I too, almost spit out my drink! LOL!:D

pm28570
05-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Dan, I can't decide what advice or "counsel" to offer you.......Give up the day job and become a comedian or don't give up the day job.

An entertaining thread for sure. Good thing Pat is a friend :D

I haven't told him about the scales of justice tatoo. He'll see it soon enough. He has other "problems" now. If any of you have taken any drugs that end in "codone" or "contin", one of the uncomfortable side effects is that the drugs numb your intestines so....

Anyway, not one to shy away from "home remedies," Pat went to the Hannaford in Augusta and now there is a shortage of prunes, actually there are none left, but as W would say: "Mission accomplished!"

firefighterjake
05-21-2009, 02:19 PM

Hmmmm . . . I can think of one other cacher who has had some experience with prunes and other plumbing issues . . . but I will be kind and not spill the proverbial beans. ;):D:D:eek:

hollora
05-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Beans, beans, the magical fruit - the more you eat.........well - you all know the rest. Now - are bean less expensive than prunes?

Darn straight they have to be less expensive than Fleets and I just paid over $5 for 2 pounds of yellow eye at Doug's - gotta love the economy!

TRF
05-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Enough of the Potty talk!!

Ekidokai
05-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Kidneys are the best.