View Full Version : Must-see caches?

benandtina
05-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Hello!

We've decided to try out the Delorme Challenge. We're going to start faaaar north this weekend and work our way south.

Any must-see caches in the state? Especially in the north or the west, since those are the areas we are not familiar with and will likely not visit more than once or twice. We'd like to know in advance so that we can be sure to plan those in to the challenge. Ben prefers caches that are hard to find, I prefer caches that take us to pretty spots or cutesy towns.

Thanks!

hollora
05-18-2009, 03:11 PM
This is one of the caches I enjoyed the most. Many miles of driving, lots of gas, a few tolls, fortunately I lost no tires (but worried on many of the roads), learned what it was like with NO cell service, enjoyed doing it with a friend, thought we would never finish, took a while, two DeLorme Gazatteers later......well, it is a journey worth doing.

Some maps you won't have a choice which cache to do.......as there may be only one but that may have changed. Check with locals as sometimes there are shortcuts worth taking - like from Eustis over to Jackman. I remember the POW camps - those were great caches. One I didn't do but will return is the web cam in Houlton.

Think everyone who has done it has a bookmark list - that might help. To research what they did for caches. This time of year - take Bug Dope! Lots of it!

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

pm28570
05-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Take a look here: http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2328 and go the last page. There is some useful info about caches and the Delorme which I find helpful.

Hello!

We've decided to try out the Delorme Challenge. We're going to start faaaar north this weekend and work our way south.

Thanks!

pm28570
05-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Sorry, gave you the wrong link. Have the link bookmarked but is on the other laptop. Will get it to ya as soon as I can.

Take a look here: http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2328 and go the last page. There is some useful info about caches and the Delorme which I find helpful.

WhereRWe?
05-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Any must-see caches in the state? Especially in the north or the west, since those are the areas we are not familiar with and will likely not visit more than once or twice. We'd like to know in advance so that we can be sure to plan those in to the challenge. Ben prefers caches that are hard to find, I prefer caches that take us to pretty spots or cutesy towns.
!

Pretty spots:

Map 40: Either our "Got Moxie?" (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c836e61d-0ec2-46a7-a36b-a00d53c0be69) cache or our "Kennebec River Gorge" (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1a9ac654-c48b-4ee8-8f84-ce262cc50f98) cache.

Map 30: Our "Old Canada Road" (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=91ba34cb-4c6c-4c76-afd5-5d4b4f4c0948) cache.

:D:D

pm28570
05-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Here you are, try this one. http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=maine_stats

Sorry, gave you the wrong link. Have the link bookmarked but is on the other laptop. Will get it to ya as soon as I can.

hollora
05-18-2009, 05:35 PM
pm28570 - that link does help and highlights the more IMHO difficult areas.

The caches put out and mentioned by WhereRWe? are nice too.

Mainiac1957's Route 2 tour is another great way to see the state and pick up some maps.........it can be done in a day out of Bangor (been there done it). 5 maps at a bare minimum if you do no side trips to drive up or down to grab a cache in others where Rt. 2 runs close to the edge of a map. You run close to NH so you can grab a cache across the border too. Some nice historical places too.

Best wishes on your quest!

WhereRWe?
05-18-2009, 06:47 PM
The caches put out and mentioned by WhereRWe? are nice too.

Yes - beautiful locations! But I note that you've only logged one of the three I mentioned. :p:p

benandtina
05-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks everyone! From the tips I've gotten on this thread and from some FANTASTICLY informative and friendly e-mails hollora sent me I think I have a vague plan. We're going to start south and work our way up. I think for now we'll hit some populated areas before venturing out in to the unknown, lol. I'll check out where the Route 2 tour takes us... we've only done one of the caches in that series so there are lots of places along the route that we haven't seen.

Thanks for the link, pm28570 - those stats are awesome! Definitely bookmarking that page.

Thanks for the links Bruce!!! LOVE the Moxie photos. All three seem like things to add to our to-do list!

Thanks again everyone! I'll let you know how our first weekend of DeLorme caching goes :)

WhereRWe?
05-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the links Bruce!!! LOVE the Moxie photos. All three seem like things to add to our to-do list!

I think you live in the Bangor area, so I suggest a couple of day trips:

1. From Bangor to Greenville, Rockwood, To Jackman, south on Route 201 to Bingham, north on Route 16 to Abbot, then back to Bangor.

2. From Bangor to Abbot, south to Bingham (go into the woods and do the caches between Abbot and Bingham), south to Skowhegan, back to Bangor on Route 2/I95.

A lot of country, but a lot of caches and a lot of great scenery. :D:D

hollora
05-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Yes - beautiful locations! But I note that you've only logged one of the three I mentioned. :p:p

Absolutely correct! :p But that doesn't mean I was not in the area of the caches long before I cached! ;););) As a matter of fact, that is exactly how I knew they were great locations. Trust me, if the caches stay out there - I will eventually get back there.:cool::cool:

So - I don't think to give a thumbs up or approval for a cache recommendation one has to have logged the cache.:) You see......perhaps one was there for another purpose! ;);)

JustKev
11-07-2010, 11:58 AM
We visited this one on November 5, 2010 and the water level was too high to attempt the cache. The listing says it's maintained by none other than WhereRWe and RULost2. While it may not be as impressive as the falls at Moxie Falls, it's incredible after the rain we got the night before we visited. Check the before and after pics on the listing.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7538ca0a-51e9-44ea-acb7-c26da704d885

WhereRWe?
11-07-2010, 12:13 PM
We visited this one on November 5, 2010 and the water level was too high to attempt the cache.

Actually, the cache used to be in the middle of the stream. It washed away during the spring run-off the first year. Here's a picture of the cache owner placing it.

That's why the name of the cache is (Colder Than A) "Witches Titty". LOL!

JustKev
11-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Actually, the cache used to be in the middle of the stream. It washed away during the spring run-off the first year. Here's a picture of the cache owner placing it.

That's why the name of the cache is (Colder Than A) "Witches Titty". LOL!

No one would be standing anywhere near those places occupied by people in that picture on the day we were there. The water coming over the falls created a concussion you could feel in your chest.

dufzor
11-07-2010, 02:32 PM
I just put that one on my "to do" list. Thanks for posting the beautiful pics!
We visited this one on November 5, 2010 and the water level was too high to attempt the cache. The listing says it's maintained by none other than WhereRWe and RULost2. While it may not be as impressive as the falls at Moxie Falls, it's incredible after the rain we got the night before we visited. Check the before and after pics on the listing.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7538ca0a-51e9-44ea-acb7-c26da704d885

JustPJ66
11-07-2010, 03:25 PM
I just put that one on my "to do" list. Thanks for posting the beautiful pics!

It was truely an awsome sight...cant wait to go back when we can actually attempt the cache!

that is why I love geocaching...ya get to find gems like that!

jshepherd1102
02-09-2012, 05:34 PM
If you're a history buff, and leave within visiting distance of Pike County, Kentucky, there are some cool Hatfield and McCoy Feud cashes there. Lots of scenery and outdoor adventure.

http://www.tourpikecounty.com/index.php?page=geocaching

fins2right
02-12-2012, 09:03 PM
That's actually pretty cool. As much as I despise cold weather (it's 3 degrees outside as I write this) I've always felt that Maine is a great place to cache. No snakes or poisonous spiders. Great views, both coastal and inland. The Tourism Bureau really should try and get tourists in geocaching!

Haffy
02-13-2012, 12:11 PM
The Tourism Bureau really should try and get tourists in geocaching!

Well how about doing something like many of the state parks are doing all over the country and get involved with them and try to set up a geocaching program of some sort? Here in Georgia, the GGA got involved with them and now the Georgia State Parks have 2 different programs set up. One involves 45 different state parks and another of them involves a few of the many historic state sites. Being one of the original members of the Maine geocachers website that was one of the 1st things we had talked about was getting out and trying to endorse caching with the many state organizations. You gotta start somewhere. There are numerous states that have geocaching programs and they have all welcomed them with open arms especially in these times where they are experiencing hard times with the economy and all in maintaining the parks so every little bit of extra money helps.

Here is a link to the new Georgia State parks and Historic sites on FB and from there you can see what they are doing with geocaching: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Georgia-State-Parks-GeoCaching/117455605009915

fins2right
02-13-2012, 09:17 PM
I've always gotten the overall impression that Maine State Parks are not real geo-friendly. I may be mixing that up with Acadia, however.

Haffy
02-14-2012, 11:50 AM
I've always gotten the overall impression that Maine State Parks are not real geo-friendly. I may be mixing that up with Acadia, however.

You have to be pro-active and get cachers together to try and impliment some sort of policy for them. Arcadia won't allow regular caches but they have that great earthcache series that I think has gone really well. Start small,let's say talk with one of the state park managers and show them what other states are doing and maybe they will come around. The main point is to get something started. 2 of our neighboring states,Alabama and South Carolina now also have new and upcoming geocaching programs. Check out other states programs and even talk with those people to see what they did to get things started.