View Full Version : Geocaching Presentation

cachecrashers4
05-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Joey and I have been asked to make a presentation and introduce geocaching to a local Boy Scout troop next Tuesday. As evidence by the lengths of my forum posts, I am no public speaker (in fact this is probably the longest post I have made). Any suggestions on how to make an interesting presentation that will keep the kids interest? There is a micro nearby, but if there is a ballgame going on that night we wouldn't be able to search for it.

hollora
05-19-2009, 10:34 PM
A powerpoint presentation, if you have a computer and projector, along with some show and tell - hands on stuff - caches, books about the sport, swag, trackables, swag. I like a lot of the stuff at Geocaching University.......or it may be Geocachers U. Good Luck with your presentation.

tat
05-20-2009, 05:27 AM
I also a powerpoint presentation, if you want it. And, if you have internet access, here's a great little demo. (http://www.erikajean.com/2009/04/interactive-geocaching-video.html)

brdad
05-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Hollora is correct - Geocacher University (http://www.geocacher-u.com/) has a lot of nice information.

Regarding showing them an actual cache, I would recommend hiding a temporary cache in a safe location. That way you have full control over the location and contents. You can make sure there is something for everyone in the cache that would be of interest. I think a full size cache with stuff of interest to the scouts will leave a bigger, more positive impression of caching then a sign-the-log cache. Don't forget to stress CITO to them!

Kaching Karen
05-20-2009, 06:44 AM
They love making up their geocaching names. Do that right from the beginning and call them by their "handles" now and then, or put the names on nametags. Some of the things I've done:
Print up a map of the area and show caches in the area. I used the geocaching.com google map.
Show some of the symbols. I made up a large chart.
Hide some "caches" of your own. The kids can work in small groups, but some get offended if they can't hold a GPS unit. I preloaded the coordinates for the kids.
Have fun!

benandtina
05-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Maybe do an arts and crafts segment where the kids can make signature items to leave in caches?

Listener83
05-20-2009, 09:15 AM
When I was in 4H, one of the mothers gave us a demonstration on jackknife safety. While she was doing her presentation, her dog got into something and distracted her. The knife slipped and laid her finger open. We then had a follow up presentation about basic first aid.
I found the real life examples transformed an otherwise boring club meeting into a powerful learning moment that has stuck with me to this day.
Draw what advice you can from that. **Grin**

masterson of the universe
05-20-2009, 01:33 PM
When I was in 4H, one of the mothers gave us a demonstration on jackknife safety. While she was doing her presentation, her dog got into something and distracted her. The knife slipped and laid her finger open. We then had a follow up presentation about basic first aid.
I found the real life examples transformed an otherwise boring club meeting into a powerful learning moment that has stuck with me to this day.
Draw what advice you can from that. **Grin**

Yes, you could have Mapachi cache with them and use his phone, trip and fall, then go into educating them on how to make a splint and keep from going into shock.

Listener83
05-20-2009, 01:45 PM
On a serious note: Give them a modern tie in. Have you heard of the site Eastereggs.com? Geocaches are like IRL Easter eggs.

hide_from_the_kids
05-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Joey and I have been asked to make a presentation and introduce geocaching to a local Boy Scout troop next Tuesday. As evidence by the lengths of my forum posts, I am no public speaker (in fact this is probably the longest post I have made). Any suggestions on how to make an interesting presentation that will keep the kids interest? There is a micro nearby, but if there is a ballgame going on that night we wouldn't be able to search for it.
WHEN IS THE PRESENTATION? MAKE IT AN EVENT THAT WAY YOU HAVE OTHER CACHERS THERE TO SUPPORT AND HELP OUT. ARE YOU GOING TO NEED EXTRA GPS UNITS?PLACE SOME TEMP CACHES AROUND THE PROPERTY AND HAVE THE KIDS FIND THEM.

cachecrashers4
05-20-2009, 08:52 PM
WHEN IS THE PRESENTATION? MAKE IT AN EVENT THAT WAY YOU HAVE OTHER CACHERS THERE TO SUPPORT AND HELP OUT. ARE YOU GOING TO NEED EXTRA GPS UNITS?PLACE SOME TEMP CACHES AROUND THE PROPERTY AND HAVE THE KIDS FIND THEM.

The meeting is next Tuesday in Union. Kind of short notice for an event. We have 3 GPSrs, should be enough. I like the idea of having them make up their handles and nametags. I'll throw together a powerpoint presentation this weekend and a couple of temporary caches to place on the grounds. Thank you all for your suggestions!

cachecrashers4
05-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know the presentation went well. Joey created a powerpoint presentation and I talked. We placed 3 caches around the grounds last night and created fake pages for them. The boys then used the GPSrs to find them. A few of the boys were very interested and will probably start caching.

hollora
05-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know the presentation went well. Joey created a powerpoint presentation and I talked. We placed 3 caches around the grounds last night and created fake pages for them. The boys then used the GPSrs to find them. A few of the boys were very interested and will probably start caching.

That is awesome - way to go! :) See - you are ready for Public Speaking 101 and didn't know it. Depends on the subject! ;)

Happy this went well. Many scouts and scout troops enjoy caching and caching together. Thanks for introducing them to the sport.

hide_from_the_kids
05-26-2009, 10:58 PM
good to see the outcome was good thank you for sharing