View Full Version : Look for a car power supply for Zire 72

attroll
04-19-2005, 01:48 AM
I have a Zire 72 palm PDA and I need a car power supply adapter for it. One that is a true power supply and not a trickle charger. I have the trickle charger that plugs into the USB port on the bottom of the unit. But the problem with that is that if I leave my Zire on while driving around in the car all day the battery in the Zire slowly loses its charge.

Is there something out there beside the trickle charger?

tat
04-19-2005, 05:49 AM
I bought a small AC inverter. This allows me to use all the AC power supplies that come with all of the small electronic devices. This way, you only need one thing to do your camera, rechargable batteries, PDA, etc.

WhereRWe?
04-19-2005, 06:53 AM
This question came up before, and Maniac1957 recommended a cable he had. I bought and like it as well. It is pricey, but will connect your GPS to the PDA and to the power supply as well.

http://www.thesupplynet.com/

Haffy
04-19-2005, 07:46 AM
Hey Rick,you might want to check out the other supplier that I had mentioned in the links section of geocaching software previously,it is www.bluehillsinnovations.com.That is where I bought mine and they are cheaper than supply net. You might also want to try pfranc.

attroll
04-19-2005, 12:44 PM
WhereRWe? and Haffy6

I tried both of those site and they have nothing for a Zire 72.

Mainiac1957
04-19-2005, 03:34 PM
http://www.palmone.com/us/products/accessories/chargerscablescradles/
This is straight from Palm. I have one similar for my 71. It charges as if it's in the cradle at home.

attroll
04-20-2005, 02:57 AM
http://www.palmone.com/us/products/accessories/chargerscablescradles/
This is straight from Palm. I have one similar for my 71. It charges as if it's in the cradle at home.
I looked there already also and there is one there but it is compatible with the Tungsten™ T5, E2 and I could not find anything for the Zire 72. This stinks. I was heading to Virginia next month and was going to use my PDA with my GPS for directions along the way. But I don't think the battery will last on my PDA for 18 hours of driving in the car.

WhereRWe?
04-20-2005, 07:03 AM
I looked there already also and there is one there but it is compatible with the Tungsten™ T5, E2 and I could not find anything for the Zire 72. This stinks. I was heading to Virginia next month and was going to use my PDA with my GPS for directions along the way. But I don't think the battery will last on my PDA for 18 hours of driving in the car.

When in doubt, try eBay! :D

I found many entries for Zire 72 car charger, such as this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48662&item=5768835602&rd=1

Mainiac1957
04-20-2005, 07:07 AM
Gotta love ebay :p

Ye Olde Prospector
04-20-2005, 07:21 AM
Hi attroll,
I agree with tat,small AC inverter is easiest solution. I drove truck all over the country for month at a time. Usad to run my laptop and keep batteries charged for other things all the time. Doesn't cost as much for a small inverter as it would for special adapters and you can use it for about anything that doesn't require a high wattage to run. You have 120v AC right there. You can get inverters at Radio Shack,Walmart,Sears ad lots of places.
Cliff

WhereRWe?
04-20-2005, 07:32 AM
Hi attroll,
I agree with tat,small AC inverter is easiest solution. I drove truck all over the country for month at a time. Usad to run my laptop and keep batteries charged for other things all the time. Doesn't cost as much for a small inverter as it would for special adapters and you can use it for about anything that doesn't require a high wattage to run. You have 120v AC right there. You can get inverters at Radio Shack,Walmart,Sears ad lots of places.
Cliff

Gotta love WalMart, too! LOL! :D

attroll
04-20-2005, 01:01 PM
When in doubt, try eBay! :D

I found many entries for Zire 72 car charger, such as this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48662&item=5768835602&rd=1
I have one of those and it is just what it says. It is a charger. If you leave the the PDA on while the charger is plugged in it will not charge fast enough to keep the PDA fully charged. I used it this weekend and left the PDA plugged in with the charger while I was caching and my battery went down to 75% after about 4 hours of caching.

attroll
04-21-2005, 01:28 PM
wbdent I also have one of hte universal ones too. But I just looked at it and my PDA needs 5.2 volts DC and my universal only has the following volts. 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, 12. I am stuck it seems right now. I will have to call my PDA company.

WhereRWe?
04-21-2005, 05:05 PM
I have one of those and it is just what it says. It is a charger. If you leave the the PDA on while the charger is plugged in it will not charge fast enough to keep the PDA fully charged. I used it this weekend and left the PDA plugged in with the charger while I was caching and my battery went down to 75% after about 4 hours of caching.

Well, go back to WalMart and get an inverter as YOP suggested. Then you can take your cradle with you, set it on the dash, and charge to your heart's content. LOL!

I haven't noticed that problem with my Zire 71. I have it and the eTrex Legend connected, attacehd to one power cord, and never run out of juice even when both units are on all day. We just got back from a 2-day trip downeast, and both units were on 10 hours each day. When I brought the PDA into the house to log my finds, I had almost a full charge.

Sheesh! Bring it to the event and we'll figure it out. I'll also bring my portable 12V power supply.

:D :D

attroll
04-22-2005, 01:24 AM
The Zire 72 does not have a cradle at all. It was design for the purpose of wireless connections. But as for this inverter your talking about are you refering to converting DC voltage to AC voltage? If so aren't they expensive?

WhereRWe?
04-22-2005, 07:22 AM
The Zire 72 does not have a cradle at all. It was design for the purpose of wireless connections. But as for this inverter your talking about are you refering to converting DC voltage to AC voltage? If so aren't they expensive?

Well, a quick check of WalMart online shows a price range of $34 to $54.

Sheesh. I guess the only solution is to toss the Zire 72 and get a nice, easy-to-use Zire 71! :p

attroll
04-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Well, a quick check of WalMart online shows a price range of $34 to $54.

Sheesh. I guess the only solution is to toss the Zire 72 and get a nice, easy-to-use Zire 71! :p
No way. I love the wireless capability. I just have not used it yet. I could use wireless internet if I set it up. But I don't need that. But it does have its downfalls too.

attroll
04-22-2005, 12:53 PM
I may go to Walmart this weekend and look at one of these. What department would it be in the Audio?

WhereRWe?
04-22-2005, 01:00 PM
I may go to Walmart this weekend and look at one of these. What department would it be in the Audio?

Automotive section - look for them near the batteries.