View Full Version : Duplicate cahces in gps units

brewmaine
05-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Anyone using GSAK and there gps units ever found they had some how made copy's of all the caches not sure how I did it but I had to go through and delete all the copy's and now it looks like it happened again I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.every time I find a cache I would like to do I save it to the GSAK then up load the info to my gps unit which is a Garmin etrex vista hcx. shouldn't it over wright any of the same existing caches in the unit?

ltlindian
05-29-2009, 10:55 AM
I am also having trouble--just today--of getting my pocket queries to my email. for some reason when I generate the PQ it is not sending it to my email. Grr.

robt
05-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Anyone using GSAK and there gps units ever found they had some how made copy's of all the caches not sure how I did it but I had to go through and delete all the copy's and now it looks like it happened again I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.every time I find a cache I would like to do I save it to the GSAK then up load the info to my gps unit which is a Garmin etrex vista hcx. shouldn't it over wright any of the same existing caches in the unit?

Are you deleteing the caches b4 you load the new ones?

robt
05-29-2009, 11:24 AM
I am also having trouble--just today--of getting my pocket queries to my email. for some reason when I generate the PQ it is not sending it to my email. Grr.

Hmm mine updated normally today but I didn ot run any special queries. Sometimes it can take time from when you put in a querry till it is proccessed. That is my best answer, also if they are being sent I would check your spam filters to verify that they are not being identified as spam.

brewmaine
05-29-2009, 12:02 PM
No I don't delete the ones in the unit I just figured it would over wright them if there the same ones. If I delete them they wont still show up in my found category would they ?

robt
05-29-2009, 01:24 PM
No I don't delete the ones in the unit I just figured it would over wright them if there the same ones. If I delete them they wont still show up in my found category would they ?

I do a pq of my finds and load that into GSAK but I do not generally load that into my GPS as it can take up a lot of the 1k that I can load and perfer to load as many caches that I can find for the areas that I am loading

Haffy
05-29-2009, 03:46 PM
I just usually keep a couple of data bases in GSAK. One of my finds which usually is updated once a week or so unless I haven't done any caching to make a difference and the other one of all my unfound caches in South Carolina which now takes me 7 pocket queries which I like to have updated only when I decide to go on an extended day trip for caching. Other than that I usually just do a filter of the caches within a certain zipcode of where I plan on going caching that particular day. When I do decide to do an update of all my PQ's I make sure I check off the box where it says delete after, to make sure I get it within a few minutes and that usually works pretty good. If not it might run and it might not run,depends on the server load at that particular time.

benandtina
05-29-2009, 04:29 PM
I have a GSAK database of all caches in Maine. Basically I have 9 PQ's that I run to get everything. When I update the database I do not delete anything and it seems to just update what needs to be updated. After loading each PQ I get a little message telling me how many were updated at the end.

When I export them in to my GPS, however, I delete everything from my GPS unit first.

I'm not sure if there is an easier way, but I've found that doing this keeps everything accurate and I haven't had any duplicates.

brewmaine
05-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Guess I need to get to know the GSAK program a bit better. Also Im not very up on how to make PQ's is there a way to download all the caches in maine as to date?

brdad
05-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Guess I need to get to know the GSAK program a bit better. Also Im not very up on how to make PQ's is there a way to download all the caches in maine as to date?

All Unfound Maine Caches in Multiple PQs (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2260) :)

brewmaine
05-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks that should be a help I was hoping to some around orono I need to go up that way tomorrow