View Full Version : Going wireless

Team2hunt
05-31-2009, 08:14 AM
I am thinking about upgrading my laptop and going wireless. My question here involves getting a router. I would like to plug my old non-wifi laptop into it, and have my new laptop wifi in another room.

What should I be looking for in a router and what should I stay away from? Can I just go to Radioshack and pick one off the shelf for $50.00. Is it going to be that easy? I have a DSL connection.

robt
05-31-2009, 08:26 AM
I would not go to radio shack but in a 1 word answer yes and you can even get a wireless card for your old one
9 simple usb adapter. Things to consider.

1. types of Wifi supported by your new laptop ( typically B,G, or N) router should support the highest level your new laptop will n being the fastest.

2. setup some sort of encryption ( prevents others from stealing your conection.

3 for the old computer you will need either a ethernet cable or a wireless USB adapter your call on that one.

tat
05-31-2009, 08:26 AM
I have an extra wifi card that will likely plug into your old laptop, if you want it.

Haffy
05-31-2009, 09:18 AM
I run my PC off from a wireless USB network adapter" Linksys" up stairs here and the main router which is a Cisco router "Lynksys" is downstairs. We have 2 PC's and 2 laptops that all use this router for all our wireless needs and it works great. Of course the laptops have wireless built-in capabilities as well.

WhereRWe?
05-31-2009, 09:24 AM
I am thinking about upgrading my laptop and going wireless. My question here involves getting a router. I would like to plug my old non-wifi laptop into it, and have my new laptop wifi in another room.

What should I be looking for in a router and what should I stay away from? Can I just go to Radioshack and pick one off the shelf for $50.00. Is it going to be that easy? I have a DSL connection.

Can't you get a wireless DSL modem from your DSL provider? I have one, and all 4 of our computers plus the TIVO connect to it.

robt
05-31-2009, 07:14 PM
Can't you get a wireless DSL modem from your DSL provider? I have one, and all 4 of our computers plus the TIVO connect to it.

The only drawback on that is that some providers may charge more for this service. The pro's of this is that the provider will generally support the product. The Con is the price will generally be more than buying the equipment up front if you do not need support.

hollora
05-31-2009, 09:40 PM
Oh yeah - provide your own - much less expensive.

Anyone else out there have digital phone? I gave up Fairpoint and so far am happy.

WhereRWe?
06-01-2009, 07:11 AM
The only drawback on that is that some providers may charge more for this service. The pro's of this is that the provider will generally support the product. The Con is the price will generally be more than buying the equipment up front if you do not need support.

Very true, but the question you need to answer is: Does T2H's DSL provider charge extra for a wireless modem! LOL! :p:p

robt
06-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Very true, but the question you need to answer is: Does T2H's DSL provider charge extra for a wireless modem! LOL! :p:p

Acctually since you all ready have it it does not matter :):D:D:D That note was more a warning to know what you are getting into and what you can axpect from them. That and from what I am hearing is that if it is Fairpoint you do not have to worry about support, They do not have that.

robt
06-01-2009, 01:46 PM
:D:D
Oh yeah - provide your own - much less expensive.

Anyone else out there have digital phone? I gave up Fairpoint and so far am happy.

This will be a biased comment and unfurtunatly I do not have the product but just based on the number of people the have to support the Digital Phone service versus the number of people that we have to support it and the fact that we are not over whelmed with calls I would say the product is pretty good. :) But then I am biased as they pay for all my toys. :D:D

hollora
06-01-2009, 10:12 PM
:D:D

This will be a biased comment and unfurtunatly I do not have the product but just based on the number of people the have to support the Digital Phone service versus the number of people that we have to support it and the fact that we are not over whelmed with calls I would say the product is pretty good. :) But then I am biased as they pay for all my toys. :D:D

So far I am impressed...........we had an afternoon with no service and the gal (used my cell - would have gone to that totally but Ralph is sort of traditional).......said, with just one outage we can't send someone til tomorrow. I was lacking cable totally..............and the she said, but wait - let me check something - she checked a neighbor who was also out of service (everything but their phone was the other co.). And then she commented that their was another in the area out........did I know anyone who might have service she could check.........a very accomodating person............and it all came down to while we were on the phone outages were rolling in - 10 minutes later everything was fixes.

Geeshhh - I would have been on hold with Fairpoint the entire time it took me to call, trouble shoot with a rep and get this problem fixed. Robt - I am glad they are buying you toys - let them buy you more and keep me as a customer...........I say a reasonable price for the service.............So far - that is my experience.

kayaking loon
06-02-2009, 01:07 PM
I got a Fairpoint telephone line for my father in assisted living March 9th. It was installed promptly and works fine. BUT... I can't get a bill from them. Everytime I call they say it is "stuck" and they know just the person to "unstick" it. But nothing happens! I really don't want a bill sometime for a year of service. And his mind isn't good so I can't tell what calls he's making. He might be running up hundreds of dollars worth of calls every day.......:eek:

hollora
06-02-2009, 02:22 PM
I got a Fairpoint telephone line for my father in assisted living March 9th. It was installed promptly and works fine. BUT... I can't get a bill from them. Everytime I call they say it is "stuck" and they know just the person to "unstick" it. But nothing happens! I really don't want a bill sometime for a year of service. And his mind isn't good so I can't tell what calls he's making. He might be running up hundreds of dollars worth of calls every day.......:eek:

When I disconnected from them - no bill. Tried to call and it rang and rang and then on hold - sent an email........no answer. I know what you mean. At least I do know the date of my digital start date so there is only about 2 weeks or less.

The disconnect fee to take my number was $20!!!! Cable company said they have to pay it to Fairpoint and it is new. I wonder if the PUC knows they are doing that - didn't seem quite fair but who wants the hassle of a new number.

Ekidokai
06-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Over 50% of people now have no land line and I'm one of them. I have a Track phone and I figure that saves me about $350 a year. I also have Skype and a Magic Jack. I have the low end internet service and they work OK with that, but I don't use the phone hardly at all.

I have been thinking about trying out the internet service on the cell phone connection for the laptop. I hear that is good too. I just never liked AT&T and Verizon wasn't any better in my opinion. Again I hate using the phone in the first place.

As far as going wireless as the thread is meant for, I put a router in and broadcast my connection from the roof. Everyone in a 3/4 mile radius gets it for free and I can go anywhere around my place and use my internet. I get six people using it at a time and the speed seems to be fine. I like the wireless aspect of computers.

WhereRWe?
06-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Over 50% of people now have no land line and I'm one of them. I have a Track phone and I figure that saves me about $350 a year. I also have Skype and a Magic Jack.

I don't think we'll ever get good enough cellular reception to go completely wireless. But I've used Skype and it is GREAT! We'd call our younger son when he was in Spain - for 2 cents a minute - and the sound was crystal clear - just like he was in the room with us. I highly recommend it. :D:D