View Full Version : Farewell Ye Olde Prospector

pjpreb
06-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Ye Olde Prospector and his bride Wild Thing54 will be moving to New Mexico in August. We would like to host an event in their honor so Maine geocachers can say farewell. Their schedule is a little cramped with selling their house and packing/moving activities but they have August 8th available for a date. Does anyone have an idea of a good venue for a potluck/BBQ type of event? Please send me a pm if you have a venue suggestion. YOP has gifted our state with some really great caches and some amazing photos in the gallery on this site and it would be great if we can all get together and give him a great send off :).

hide_from_the_kids
06-09-2009, 02:34 PM
How about capital park in augusta?

brdad
06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
YOP is about the nicest cacher you can find and definitely a pioneer in Maine Geocaching and deserving of recognition! And as stated, his pictures are unbelievable. He has some great hides here in Maine as well as in NH. I will do my best to be there, wherever there is!

WhereRWe?
06-09-2009, 04:43 PM
YOP is about the nicest cacher you can find and definitely a pioneer in Maine Geocaching and deserving of recognition!

Definitely! YOP has been absent from a lot of the events lately, but I was glad to see him at the "Gob-Ler's Turkey Day event. I'd also like to see the YOP event in the Augusta area - that way it wouldn't be more than a 2-hour ride for most of the event "regulars". :D:D

Sudonim
06-09-2009, 04:58 PM
In my "early days" of caching, YOP was one of the logs I always seemed to see, especially along the coast. Nice to have met you at many events. Enjoy your new home (and caching possibilities).

pjpreb
06-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Range Pond State Park in Poland has a nice group site that would be awesome but the park charges $4.50pp to get in (Kids 5-12 are $1.00 and under 5 are free) Would there be objections to having an event at a place that charges entry fees? They do have a nice beach area if it's nice enough to swim. They also have a horseshoe pit, grills, and playground area.

Kaching Karen
06-09-2009, 09:44 PM
There use to be a summer event hosted in Augusta at Bicentennial Park. It's a nice little park with swimming, barbeque pits, etc. I don't know if the entrance fee was waived or not.

Ekidokai
06-10-2009, 12:41 AM
With the weather like it is, maybe a backup plan too.

brdad
06-10-2009, 04:45 AM
Bicentennial Park was a great place - it's where I met Lee after all, as well as YOP and several other cachers for the first time.

However, I think that park is limited to Augusta residents only. Never hurts to ask though!

Haffy
06-10-2009, 09:27 AM
WOW!!! Can't believe that YOP is leaving the state. New Mexico will certainly be blessed with this man and his significant other. I remember when both he and I used to have the races to be the FTF and then Gobler and Laughing Terry came on the scene and that was it for our FTF's....:D We also celebrated our 500th finds at the 1st Maine geocoin rally up in Brewer along with T2H that year. Boy times flies doesn't it? Wish I could attend wherever it is held. Well YOP looks like you have another state to enjoy your mineral hunting and geocaching and photography and we have been blessed with all your knowledge. Happy Caching

On a side note I think Bicentennial Park can be booked by a resident of August to use. ( Karen? ) We had 3 diferent events there and we all weren't residents. The park superintendent was very accommodating. Wish I could remember his name.

tat
06-10-2009, 12:19 PM
We sure will miss YOP! I hope you find a lot rocks!!!

Augusta or Poland are both fine with me.

Sabby
06-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Hey YOP the best of luck to you in your new environment. You are definately one of the nicest people I have ever met. I wish I could be in Maine for the party but it doesn't look like that will be possible. It has been a pleasure to know you.

Happy caching in NM.

hollora
06-10-2009, 05:58 PM
YOP will be missed. That's for sure. I remember when I started hearing about this legend. And then, enjoying many beautiful pictures posted here on this site. May this chapter of your life bring you great enjoyment.

WhereRWe?
06-10-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned - for the newcomers that don't know him - "Ye Old Prospector" really is a "prospector". Hopefully if we can get him to the proposed event, he'll bring some of the Maine treasures he's found!

Team2hunt
06-10-2009, 08:32 PM
One of the nicest people I have ever met. I can remember the nights on chat as YOP would be late, due to a good bowl of chowda. You can PM me the recipe if you would like.

The first time I met YOP was at Old Orchard Beach, as I saw him walking on water. :rolleyes:

I have chosen several of his wonderful caches as my milestones. :D

Cliff, you will be missed.

pjpreb
06-10-2009, 09:34 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned - for the newcomers that don't know him - "Ye Old Prospector" really is a "prospector". Hopefully if we can get him to the proposed event, he'll bring some of the Maine treasures he's found!

He chose the date for the event so it's a good bet he'll be there. I'll call Bicentennial Park in Augusta tomorrow and get the details.

brdad
06-11-2009, 05:01 AM
Leo St Peter is the name of the ranger at the park at the time.

Haffy
06-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Leo St Peter is the name of the ranger at the park at the time.

That's it!!! What a memory,great guy too.

Ekidokai
06-11-2009, 11:31 AM
I just wish I figured out what YOP meant back at the Gobler Tribute. I hate it when I talk to people and don't know who they are., then figure it out later.

brdad
06-11-2009, 01:34 PM
That's it!!! What a memory,great guy too.

Memory? Hardly! But I am resourceful - Just had to look at the first BBQ event page logs. :D

Ye Olde Prospector
06-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi All,

Been following this thread. We will make the event for sure. Certainly will miss all the Maine Geocachers when we leave but will continue to geocache where ever we go. Looking forward to new areas to collect minerals and more things to photograph. Have to put out some New Mexico caches as well. Wish the best to all the Maine Geocachers who don't make it to the event. My "Official Maine Lighthouse" TB is currently in Missouri and has made it nearly around the world so far. Hoping it may get back to Maine before we leave for New Mexico.

Ye Olde Prospector and Wild Thing54

Haffy
06-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Hey Cliff I sure hope you put your caches up for adoption as anyone who knows your caches will always remember them and they need to be still in action.

Katadin Goddess
06-14-2009, 09:15 AM
wow, havent been in a long time, didnt realize it has been so long. Cliff havent seen you in a long time either, best wishes to your new move! hope to make the event on the 8th.

elaine

pjpreb
06-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Ye Olde Prospector gave me a photo album that he started. Each page holds a 4x6 photo and has a few lines for you to write your geocaching nick and a short message. His hope is that Maine cachers will tuck in a photo of themselves and write a short message so he can take the album with him when he moves. We filled out our page and mailed the album to Hollora. Perhaps she can hand it off to the area cachers so they can add their photo and a message. Please keep me updated as to the whereabouts of the album so I cam make sure it returns to the event (where it will be available for other cachers to add their photo and a message).

Ekidokai
06-16-2009, 08:08 PM
That is so cool.

hollora
06-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Any cacher who wants this in the Bangor area - email me soon.........I can pass it off and it is your baby.........Ekidokai - get your pic ready for Saturday and we can go from there............should it go to Mainiac1957/Quilting Mom and Mike, BRDad and MsTeeLee, Cache Maine, Upsalsquitch, EMSDanel or move on down with Team Richards. And if you live in Bangor area and want to be added - just get a photo to us before Saturday!

Ok folks - speak up if you don't want it to move out of the Bangor area. And who wants to take recovery and responsibility to pass on?

PJ - thanks for the opportunity.

brdad
06-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Yes, we'd like to get it sometime while it's up here! I will be around tomorrow before afternoon if no one else is around.

Mainiac1957
06-17-2009, 05:33 AM
I will get some ready to go in hopefully before it heads out of town.

hollora
06-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Not everyone is on here so I hope folks can network to move this on. Will be in touch with folks and post who has it in hand next.

Mainiac1957
06-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Anyone up there want to add a pic. I will be in PI Friday and Saturday nights camping at Aroostook SP.

pjpreb
06-17-2009, 06:32 PM
We booked Bicentennial Park in Augusta for Saturday Aug 8th from 11-3. (official event page to be posted soon) They have a fee structure that is $75 for up to 50 people and $100 for over 50 people. They are going to take a head count and invoice us after the event. Does anyone object to a voluntary donation jar to offset that cost? We're thinking of putting one at the TB table and if we happen to collect excess proceeds we can donate it to this site. How does that sound?

brdad
06-17-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm in!
:):):):)

pm28570
06-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Certainly sounds very fair to me.

We booked Bicentennial Park in Augusta for Saturday Aug 8th from 11-3. (official event page to be posted soon) They have a fee structure that is $75 for up to 50 people and $100 for over 50 people. They are going to take a head count and invoice us after the event. Does anyone object to a voluntary donation jar to offset that cost? We're thinking of putting one at the TB table and if we happen to collect excess proceeds we can donate it to this site. How does that sound?

EMSDanel
06-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Count me in for the Bangor area. Now I need to get a pic made....

WhereRWe?
06-18-2009, 06:08 AM
Does anyone object to a voluntary donation jar to offset that cost? We're thinking of putting one at the TB table and if we happen to collect excess proceeds we can donate it to this site. How does that sound?

Works for me... :D

hide_from_the_kids
06-18-2009, 08:21 AM
we booked bicentennial park in augusta for saturday aug 8th from 11-3. (official event page to be posted soon) they have a fee structure that is $75 for up to 50 people and $100 for over 50 people. They are going to take a head count and invoice us after the event. Does anyone object to a voluntary donation jar to offset that cost? We're thinking of putting one at the tb table and if we happen to collect excess proceeds we can donate it to this site. How does that sound?
this sounds great. I got a 5 gallon bucket you can use for the jar. :d

attroll
06-18-2009, 09:39 AM
I will donate $75 right now to avoid all of this if you are willing to take it.

Ekidokai
06-18-2009, 09:54 AM
I will donate $75 right now to avoid all of this if you are willing to take it.

That is very generous. I would like to be a part of the donation idea.

lexmano
06-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Sorry, our nephew is getting married that day. This takes at least 6 cachers out of the possible guest list. Would have enjoyed making your acquaintance Old Prospector, good luck on your move.

Team2hunt
06-18-2009, 05:11 PM
The Team is so sad that we will not be able to attend as we have made plans for that weekend and they are out of state. Cliff you will be missed, but we will continue to enjoy your pictures that you have graciously posted over the years. Keep them coming, and we will keep up your caches for you. Enjoy your new adventures :D:) with Wild Thing54.

It has been our pleasure to have met you both.

pjpreb
06-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the positive comments on the donation jar - I'll put one at the TB table. Like I said they will invoice us after the event and if we collect more than what is needed we'll donate it to the site in YOP & Wild Thing54's honor :) You guys are da best! :):)

hollora
06-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Anyone up there want to add a pic. I will be in PI Friday and Saturday nights camping at Aroostook SP.

Great idea and there is no rush to move it out of Bangor.........County folks - contact Brad - he can put them in! Awesome!:)

hollora
06-18-2009, 09:48 PM
The album is filling and with it - I wanted to send a geocoin and some others pathtags.......so there will be a bag o' loot traveling with the album for those folks who wish to add a pathtag or coin.

Of course, this is not a trading bag so only deposit.....no withdrawals, please. I am sure YOP will have fun matching tags and coins to folks and their photos. Moving from me on Saturday with a list of some suggested recipients in the Greater Bangor area. If you are interested in adding a 4" x 6" photo, please post here so you won't be missed.

Thanks PJ for putting this on the road. Mainiac1957 may bring some back from the county too - that would be very cool!

brdad
06-19-2009, 05:11 AM
Another option is to send the photo to one of us in digital form. I made that offer to haffy, but have not heard a reply. :confused:

hollora
06-19-2009, 08:23 AM
Another option is to send the photo to one of us in digital form. I made that offer to haffy, but have not heard a reply. :confused:

That's a great idea! When the person who received it has the album, they can add it.

EMSDanel stopped by my house last night to add his. I think we may have to add another album - wouldn't that be awesome!:)

pjpreb
06-19-2009, 01:12 PM
The loot bag is a great idea! Thanks Hollora! I'm not sure where YOP got the photo album but I'll keep on the lookout for a similar one to have for any overflow :)

Haffy
06-19-2009, 03:00 PM
I sent Brdad a photo so hopefully he can print that off and add that one to the album as well.

hollora
06-19-2009, 05:28 PM
I sent Brdad a photo so hopefully he can print that off and add that one to the album as well.

Way to go Haffy! It's going to be a great album.

EMSDanel
06-20-2009, 12:28 AM
To Attroll: You made a $75 contribution to this effort. I just have to say, with all of your other contributions of time and expertise to this site (say nothing about the expenses you have contributed to the pig roasts).....you and the Mrs. are a class act. Please know that many of us see and recognize all that you do. Thank you, truly.

Ye Olde Prospector
06-20-2009, 10:52 AM
WOW !!!!

Definately will not miss this event !!! Great location as well.

YOP and WildThing 54

Mainiac1957
07-01-2009, 06:42 AM
I have the photo album and loot bag here with me in Brewer. Anyone wishing to add to it needs to contact me before it heads back down south. Reach me through my profile here or on Facebook.

pjpreb
07-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Yay! Glad to see it moving along :)

pjpreb
08-03-2009, 01:01 PM
The weather forecast looks terrific for the event! Looking forward to seeing everyone :)

Haffy
08-03-2009, 02:30 PM
How did the album work out? The podcast came out great that Kacky had the interview with the both of them.

Mainiac1957
08-03-2009, 04:21 PM
No one has contacted me asking for it. I have posted several times offering it. I guess folks can bring their photos to the event and put them in there.

brdad
08-03-2009, 06:53 PM
I still haven't picked up the album myself! Life has been busy. I should have invited Brad over for seafood chowdah tonight and we could have made a trade. We have a jumbo cupcake for dessert!

I have your picture, too, Haffy - if I don't get the book before the weekend I will be sure to bring it with us!

attroll
08-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I don't have a picture of myself or Tink. I guess we will not be in the book.

pjpreb
08-04-2009, 05:44 PM
I'll bring a camera to the event and take photos of anyone who wants to be in the book. I'll make sure YOP gets the photos. :)

brdad
08-04-2009, 06:34 PM
I'll bring a camera to the event and take photos of anyone who wants to be in the book. I'll make sure YOP gets the photos. :)

Maybe if someone brought a printer and some photo paper, pics could be printed on the spot, including event pics.

pjpreb
08-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Maybe if someone brought a printer and some photo paper, pics could be printed on the spot, including event pics.

I have a photo printer and paper that I can bring. Is there electricity there?

brdad
08-04-2009, 08:46 PM
I have a photo printer and paper that I can bring. Is there electricity there?

I think there was power in the shed we used the year it rained. I'd think they could set you up somehow.

Mainiac1957
08-05-2009, 05:27 AM
Those little photo printers would work off an inverter. They don't draw much power Hiram could bring his I'm sure. :rolleyes::cool:

Ekidokai
08-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Those little photo printers would work off an inverter. They don't draw much power Hiram could bring his I'm sure. :rolleyes::cool:

I have two inverters in the Okeydokey Mobile TB. I use one for the CPAP machine when I'm out camping.

hide_from_the_kids
08-07-2009, 08:03 PM
there is another event going on at about the same time at the park so if you are going then look for the group with the most gpsers. i will be there but not till after 1:00 when i get out of work i also will have a power inverter with me that i have used for my lap top.

attroll
08-07-2009, 09:40 PM
there is another event going on at about the same time at the park so if you are going then look for the group with the most gpsers. i will be there but not till after 1:00 when i get out of work i also will have a power inverter with me that i have used for my lap top.
Bring some of the Burger King cards with you I want to get a couple.

TRF
08-09-2009, 10:02 AM
I have two inverters in the Okeydokey Mobile TB. I use one for the CPAP machine when I'm out camping.

hahahahaha. Might be easier to bring an E.T. Tube with you. hahaha

hide_from_the_kids
08-09-2009, 11:52 AM
the event was nice. pretty good turn out. wish more people could have come. :)

attroll
08-09-2009, 12:00 PM
I agree the event was great and more people would have been better. It was nice to see everyone again. I am hoping to make the event next weekend also but discovered something that may stand in my way. I will work on it though.

brdad
08-09-2009, 03:38 PM
It was nice to attend an event in honor of one of the pioneers of caching in our state who is a great representative for caching in Maine and also has a heart of gold and as we were all reassured yesterday is a man of many talents. And we can't forget the spark of life his wife Linda brought to the group, I think they are a great pair!

pjpreb
08-10-2009, 09:18 PM
I have posted some pictures on the event page GC1V0Z7 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6f20ba56-88a8-4ea4-9b22-697672e59f70)

cachecrashers4
08-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Wish I could have made it. Sounds like everyone had fun.

Ekidokai
08-11-2009, 08:37 PM
I don't know why I did go. I had plans to but It just slipped my mind somehow. Glad it went well.