View Full Version : How busy can one man be?

fins2right
06-13-2009, 09:05 PM
I just received a rambling phone call from my friends Suitedpair. They said something about 30+ new caches coming up on Stud Mill Rd. Ok, I'm in, but where the heck is Stud Mill Rd and will I need a 4X4? :confused: I also though I heard him say that Ekidokai hid them. I know that he just completed 125 caches. That alone placed me in complete awe, now where did he have the time to make, hide and post caches?

Ekidokai
06-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Well actually I guess I got mixed up on the Centrum Challenge. I placed over 125 in one day instead of finding them.

Oh well.

brdad
06-13-2009, 09:15 PM
The Stud mill Rd runs E-W from Costigan to the Crawford/Princeton area. About 60 miles total distance. All dirt logging roads. Cars are no problem, but expect lots of dust, washboard road sections and stones flying from passing trucks.

Ekidokai
06-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Start here GC1TJYN and this is the last one I placed that day. 125 in all or more
GC1TMFM. There are a few left to be published yet, I screwed up on the settings.
.dynamic_map_container{ width:1px; height:1px; border:1px solid #ccc; } .static_map_container{ border:1px solid #ccc; }

fins2right
06-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Well actually I guess I got mixed up on the Centrum Challenge. I placed over 125 in one day instead of finding them.

Oh well.

Which is cooler than finding 125 in a day, and probably more difficult. :eek:

Team V3
06-14-2009, 08:38 AM
I have said it before and I will say it again. I am very honored. I have never had Team V3 incorporated into a cache name or even a description. Thanks again!

brdad
06-14-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm not going to hold it against Ekidokai since there is no rule saying these caches can't be hidden - but it's not a style of hiding I personally would endorse. Thanks for keeping my name out of it.

robt
06-14-2009, 09:02 AM
hmm, I have a long weekend coming up at the end of July, I wonder where I can camp put that way as it could be a fun run. :D:D Besides I have never gotten a cache named after me.

brdad
06-14-2009, 09:06 AM
hmm, I have a long weekend coming up at the end of July, I wonder where I can camp put that way as it could be a fun run. :D:D Besides I have never gotten a cache named after me.

There are several primitive camping spots near or within a couple miles of the Stud Mill Road along the entire length. It is a great area to explore. Many are marked in the Gazatteer, check it out.

pm28570
06-14-2009, 09:11 AM
I've stayed at Upper Cranberry last year, not bad at all. Access is best of Rt 9 but you can access the Stud Mill Road as well. Nice paddling opportunities too. http://www.dwecamping.com/

dubord207
06-14-2009, 09:49 AM
C'mon Dave! Mike put a huge effort into this, over 19 hours just placing them! Why rain on his parade? While there's no need to "endorse" or not endorse, placing that many caches that many of us will enjoy is a nice and unselfish contribution to our sport, don't you think? Take a run out and bag a couple dozen, might put smiles on your map and your face!:)

I'm not going to hold it against Ekidokai since there is no rule saying these caches can't be hidden - but it's not a style of hiding I personally would endorse. Thanks for keeping my name out of it.

lexmano
06-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks for keeping my name out of it.

GC1TAGF http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2571aeec-5369-4e47-ace5-4f79293e51bc (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2571aeec-5369-4e47-ace5-4f79293e51bc)

:D

TRF
06-14-2009, 10:47 AM
GC1TAGF http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2571aeec-5369-4e47-ace5-4f79293e51bc (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2571aeec-5369-4e47-ace5-4f79293e51bc)

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Hiram357
06-14-2009, 10:49 AM

HAHAHA Classic! Point goes to Lexmano on that one... ;):D:D

Opalsns
06-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Roflmao !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Opalsns
06-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Nice Job E,
And Thanx for thinking of me. I'm Honored.

Opalsns

brdad
06-14-2009, 01:05 PM
C'mon Dave! Mike put a huge effort into this, over 19 hours just placing them! Why rain on his parade? While there's no need to "endorse" or not endorse, placing that many caches that many of us will enjoy is a nice and unselfish contribution to our sport, don't you think? Take a run out and bag a couple dozen, might put smiles on your map and your face!:)

I understand. It's taken me well over 19 hours to place each one of my caches, I guess I have the wrong definition of effort. I don't want to rain on his parade, that's why I said my piece and I'd like to leave it at that. If anyone wants to ask me more they can do so in another thread as you have suggested in the past.

And I only found 7 caches yesterday, I'm not putting enough effort into either end of this activity. And I only filed a complaint against one!

Now that is cute!

I do have one tribute cache...

Brdad, you can't do this one in your tux. (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a5872762-4710-46d7-b513-74c67458812c) (GCK671) by Nurse Dave (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=66643) (2/2)

Team2hunt
06-14-2009, 01:28 PM
I do have one tribute cache...

Brdad, you can't do this one in your tux. (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a5872762-4710-46d7-b513-74c67458812c) (GCK671) by Nurse Dave (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=66643) (2/2)

The idea for the cache was "dedicated" to you. NOT a tribute cache like the ones that Mike spent so much effort and time to put out. :cool:

brdad
06-14-2009, 01:58 PM
The idea for the cache was "dedicated" to you. NOT a tribute cache like the ones that Mike spent so much effort and time to put out. :cool:

I'll accept your argument if you can show me how the one placed as a tribute to you is a tribute to you an any way other than the cache name. :rolleyes: Otherwise, I think the words could be used interchangeably in this case.

Hiram357
06-14-2009, 03:33 PM

I'll accept your argument if you can show me how the one placed as a tribute to you is a tribute to you an any way other than the cache name. :rolleyes: Otherwise, I think the words could be used interchangeably in this case.

In this corner, weighing in at 195lbs, wearing the pink and purple speedos, we have TEAM2HUNT! and in this corner weighing in at 195.5 lbs wearing the clear speedos we have BRDADDDDDDDddddd....

Now I want to see a clean fight, hitting below the belt, no solid objects smaller than a folding chair, and lots of name calling.

Lets get ready to rumbllllllllle...!!!!!

**DING***

:rolleyes::rolleyes:;);):p:p:D:D

brdad
06-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure about T2H, but I wish I was 195.5!
And they're not clear, they are just hard to see (http://media.moron.com/photo/fatguythong.jpg)!

Ekidokai
06-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Oh please! The caches were named as a way to say thanks to the active cachers I knew out there.

Now have have fun out there! Damnit!

Hiram357
06-14-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure about T2H, but I wish I was 195.5!
And they're not clear, they are just hard to see (http://media.moron.com/photo/fatguythong.jpg)!

i need to be excused, i need to go pour some clorox in my eyes now.... :eek::eek::eek:

Hiram357
06-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Oh please! The caches were named as a way to say thanks to the active cachers I knew out there.

c'mon, it's raining, I stay dryer here just playing the role of instigator... :D:D:D

Ekidokai
06-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Try maple syrup.

i need to be excused, i need to go pour some clorox in my eyes now.... :eek::eek::eek:

Mainiac1957
06-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Try maple syrup.

You said you smelled Maple Syrup yesterday.

Team2hunt
06-14-2009, 06:56 PM

For all of your hard work and effort it took to place, and get these caches published. This is the second time Team2hunt has appeared in container form. :p The other has been archived, but not till after I was able to find it. Thanks Mike, I will be up soon to log the caches. It will be fun to watch and see how many people make the trip up and log the caches. I see that several "cache parties" are already being assembled as I write this entry. Let's see how many different ways these can be found. Anybody got a fast horse?

Leave this one alone....Hiram!

Love'em or leave'em. You have given us all something to talk about.

Francis Family
06-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Ekidokai, I for one would like to say thanks for all the new caches... a great way to spend some hours on a drizzly day with my two favorite girls... Amara and Hollora ;) Thanks for the time and effort you put into this. Becka (Francis Family)

Hiram357
06-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Let's see how many different ways these can be found. Anybody got a fast horse?

Leave this one alone....Hiram!

Love'em or leave'em. You have given us all something to talk about.

hey now, I've actaully got some creative ideas in the works myself for this one.... :p

pjpreb
06-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Oooo a PJPreb cache!! Woohoo! Looking forward to a caching run on the Stud Mill Road with some friends this summer! I hope we see some moose! Ekidokai, you're Okie Dokie with me!

Sudonim
06-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Are ATVs allowed on the Stud Mill Road? Seems that would be the way to do these if so...

robt
06-14-2009, 09:19 PM
is this going to take a 4x4 or could a car do it without getting stuck?

hollora
06-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Ah yes, Ekidokai, thank you for all your effort. For some, this might not be a fun run, but for my girls and I - it was a great way to spend a drizzly day.

Well, that is if you like getting soaked in the grass, being eatten by black flies and skeeters, not finding a couple of the caches, eatting in the car (cause even if you could find a picnic table the bugs would carry you off), seeing some wild life, stimulating the economy in I think it was Greenbush at a store (somewhere near there), getting the truck darnnn muddy, taking some pictures and spending time with family doing something other than watching TV or a movie.

Now, I, too, like other caches - but this was perfect for a day of caching in drizzle and bugs with a near 2 year old you are trying to potty train. And how do you do that? With the potty chair as a port-a-potty in the back of the 4 runner. And a series like this.

Thanks Mike for putting these out - and I thank Becka for braving doing this run with Amara and me today! We had one of those days of making a serious family memory!

hollora
06-14-2009, 09:23 PM
is this going to take a 4x4 or could a car do it without getting stuck?

Car no problem!

brdad
06-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Are ATVs allowed on the Stud Mill Road? Seems that would be the way to do these if so...

They were banned a few years back When IP took over. I don't think it has changed.

hollora
06-14-2009, 09:24 PM

No - but one of the side roads where some are - is actually part of the trail multi use system - just not on the Stud Mill Rd :(

Haffy
06-14-2009, 09:27 PM
It would be nice to see these on a map or something....hint...hint

Hiram357
06-14-2009, 09:32 PM
They were banned a few years back When IP took over. I don't think it has changed.

and motorcycles aren't allowed either. there is quite an extensive ATV trail system that goes from the studmil road up along the airline, but I don't think they would get close enough to the road to do all of these.

vicbiker
06-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Mike, I for one would like to thank you for including me in this series. No matter what anyone may think of how this was done, the thought behind it was great and for that my friend you need to be applauded. Good job Mike.

brdad
06-14-2009, 09:40 PM
and motorcycles aren't allowed either. there is quite an extensive ATV trail system that goes from the studmil road up along the airline, but I don't think they would get close enough to the road to do all of these.

Yeah, that was my thinking. I'm not even sure about bicycles now that I think of it. I used to have a bookmark of a website with the information on it, but can't seem to find it now. :(

I had one loaded and ready to go earlier but decided against it. I'll sleep on the idea.

Trick or Treat
06-14-2009, 10:30 PM

Mike you have know idea how loud I squealed when I saw our name in print! Dawn had to come check it out for herself when I told her because she didn't believe me. We're going to get there just as soon as we can and look forward to all of the caches. It's like the last episode of 'Survivor' when the finalists visit the torches of their fallen comrades one by one and reflect... :p

Ekidokai
06-14-2009, 11:48 PM

Oh thanks Haffy, poke the bear. Thanks.

Haffy
06-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Just send it to me if you want.

Ekidokai
06-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Just have to say this again.

Thank you all or you are very welcome which ever fits.

I am just so pleased to bring a smile and enjoyment to so many. As I started formulating this in my mighty, mighty brain, I was wondering where I would come up with names for these caches. Then it hit me, like a big horse fly. Look at the logs from around the area. These people should have some recognition.

I have already started and will continue to add to and change some of the cache pages, as I really got smoke in my minds eye after all that placing and logging. And with my mind going, I lost most of my notes in there somewhere.

I have a few more names that I wanted to pay tribute to but ran out of caches and time, not to mention getting screwed up near the end of it. More will come out soon.

I didn't think this would turn out to be such a big deal. I am just glad so many have enjoyed it.

To a man that I have deep respect and admiration for, Brdad. A few days before I did the Stud Mill Rd. series, I did paint up 11 ammo cans, using your article for doing this and placed them in a series out in the Bangor City Forest. Thank you so much for giving us that and the rest of the great and inventive stuff you do for us.

Once again to all. Thank you and good night. Love ya.

lexmano
06-15-2009, 05:20 AM
One of my e-mail accounts has a pretty strict size limit, I know it could not handle the e-mails telling me this many caches were published, let alone the traffic created by the finders!!:)

I certainly hope that will not be an issue for you.

Mainiac1957
06-15-2009, 05:26 AM
When I had GW on my watchlist I was overwhelmed with all the mail it generated along with what I get anyway.

eebee
06-15-2009, 08:13 AM
I was really excited to see these caches placed! I am hoping to hit 1000 sometime in the next few months, and this number of new caches will certainly be a big help in me getting there. I hope to get a day soon to head out and find them! Thank you for the hard work :-)

Opalsns
06-15-2009, 08:32 AM
I was really excited to see these caches placed! I am hoping to hit 1000 sometime in the next few months, and this number of new caches will certainly be a big help in me getting there. I hope to get a day soon to head out and find them! Thank you for the hard work :-)

I'm up to 87 ,thanx to my big brother, and Now, I'm going to have to make Opalsns Tribute my 100th, I just have too!!!!!!
Thanx again E,.... TOUCHE'

Opalsns

Sudonim
06-15-2009, 08:33 AM
To a man that I have deep respect and admiration for, Brdad. A few days before I did the Stud Mill Rd. series, I did paint up 11 ammo cans, using your article for doing this and placed them in a series out in the Bangor City Forest. Thank you so much for giving us that and the rest of the great and inventive stuff you do for us.

I haven't done your city forest caches yet (stupid rain on a Sunday...) but have heard that they were all nice containers (and the coords were spot on too).

benandtina
06-15-2009, 08:35 AM
WOW! I spent the weekend bumming around and watching Lifetime movies since Ben was sick... I have a feeling if I had checked my e-mail and seen all the new cache notifications he would've made a quick recovery, haha. This is amazing. Thanks so much for all of your hard work with this run and the BCF one. I'm so excited to have a bunch of new caches to check out. Also, thank you for naming one of them after us! Very much appreciated :)

Mapachi
06-15-2009, 09:42 AM
The first thing I thought as these started poping up on my pute was.....WOW! a beautiful sunny day and poor TAT is spending the day publishing! The next thing I thought was WOW! What if ten people do 100 caches in one day and log them in; it will create 1000 e-mails!!! JUMPIN" YIMMINY!
Gail (Shotgun) and I have friends that had a camp near Third Machias Pond. We have spent hours and hours bombing around the roads up there in both trucks and on ATVs. The stud Mill road itself is off limits, but there are many side roads to explore.
When these were published, we got excited to go back up there! We havent been up there in over ten years. We were busy this past week-end but I have talked Gail into taking off from work on tuesday to go for the centrum challenge! In fact I made a list of 140 to go for! The last one back in Eddington. We will go for more in Brewer and Bangor, if we're not too tired. 150 caches in one day would be cool!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PUTING THESE OUT!

ltlindian
06-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Yay! thanks so much for naming one after ltlindian! I'm so psyched! :) Now I gotta figure out where it is and go get it!

Ekidokai
06-15-2009, 12:42 PM
The first thing I thought as these started poping up on my pute was.....WOW! a beautiful sunny day and poor TAT is spending the day publishing! The next thing I thought was WOW! What if ten people do 100 caches in one day and log them in; it will create 1000 e-mails!!! JUMPIN" YIMMINY!
Gail (Shotgun) and I have friends that had a camp near Third Machias Pond. We have spent hours and hours bombing around the roads up there in both trucks and on ATVs. The stud Mill road itself is off limits, but there are many side roads to explore.
When these were published, we got excited to go back up there! We havent been up there in over ten years. We were busy this past week-end but I have talked Gail into taking off from work on tuesday to go for the centrum challenge! In fact I made a list of 140 to go for! The last one back in Eddington. We will go for more in Brewer and Bangor, if we're not too tired. 150 caches in one day would be cool!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PUTING THESE OUT!

Oh dear lord! 627 e-mails and I was up till 2am looking at the ones from the night before. So far Gmail has handled them. If anyone wants to get a massage to me PM on here like a few have done. I might miss it on the regular one.

And I do read everyone. I just can't miss anything someone might say. Maintenance yeah it will be fun. I'm going out now to check on a few.

al'Thor
06-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks so much for this run of caches, and for naming one for me!!!! Now I just got to find a day for a MEGA cache run. Thanks again....this is going to be fun!

Waterski
06-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Good idea to post on here as I was part of your 627 emails....Lost my mind in excitment of all the new caches and the tribute! Thanks again.

kayaking loon
06-16-2009, 08:17 AM
And thanks so much for naming one after me! I wasn't expecting that. The loon in me hopes the cache is near water, and there are some lakes near it.... Not sure if I want to try for 100 in one day or not but I want to do every cache out there. Thanks again. This is exciting!

Trick or Treat
06-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Think they're are few obsessed people out there. It's all Trick has talked about so everyone can guess where I will be spending Friday, June 26th which is my anniversary! What better anniversary gift than spending 18 hours in the car with someone you love...lol

firefighterjake
06-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Think they're are few obsessed people out there. It's all Trick has talked about so everyone can guess where I will be spending Friday, June 26th which is my anniversary! What better anniversary gift than spending 18 hours in the car with someone you love...lol

Uh, spending 18 hours in the ______ with someone you love . . . well, let's not go there . . . this is a family site after all, right? ;):D

And no Hiram . . . the answer I was looking for was not spending 18 hours on the ATV with someone you love . . . or 18 hours in your pick-up with someone you love (even if it does smell like maple syrup and dogs) . . . or spending 18 hours at Camp Jakeawana. ;):D

Team V3
06-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Ummm spending 18 hours in the hmmm swimming pool? Is that what you were referring to?

Trick or Treat
06-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Uh, spending 18 hours in the ______ with someone you love . . . well, let's not go there . . . this is a family site after all, right? ;):D

And no Hiram . . . the answer I was looking for was not spending 18 hours on the ATV with someone you love . . . or 18 hours in your pick-up with someone you love (even if it does smell like maple syrup and dogs) . . . or spending 18 hours at Camp Jakeawana. ;):D

Hmm, I'm gonna throw that one out there!

Trick or Treat
06-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Hmm, I'm gonna throw that one out there!

The swimming pool idea, I mean. lol

Team V3
06-16-2009, 04:18 PM
lol Gotta love swimming pools.

Sudonim
06-16-2009, 05:31 PM

I think Jason meant spending 18 hours in the UNITY HOUSE OF PIZZA with someone you love...

:D:D:D

Trick or Treat
06-16-2009, 06:04 PM
I think Jason meant spending 18 hours in the UNITY HOUSE OF PIZZA with someone you love...

Really? :confused: I guess we had it wrong then. What's everyone else think he meant?

Team V3
06-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Swimming pool....ummm....swimming.

Hiram357
06-16-2009, 08:26 PM

mmmmmmm unity house of pizza, I love the house of pizza, can I just spend time with that???? :D:D:D:D:D

firefighterjake
06-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Ummm spending 18 hours in the hmmm swimming pool? Is that what you were referring to?

Nope . . . I get all wrinkly after just 45 minutes or so in the water . . . I can't imagine what I would look like after 18 hours in the pool.:D;)

firefighterjake
06-17-2009, 07:48 AM

And we have a winner . . . strange how you knew just what I was thinking! :D;)

firefighterjake
06-17-2009, 07:50 AM
mmmmmmm unity house of pizza, I love the house of pizza, can I just spend time with that???? :D:D:D:D:D

Ah ha . . . I knew you loved the Greek Lover's Pizza more than you loved me . . . and here I thought all those times you have come down was just to hang out with me . . . I'm thinking it's time for a few more of those Guiness martinis . . . that would be the ones with the olives in 'em . . . or bits of tomato . . . or pizza cheese . . . or whatever else I can drop into the drink when you're not looking. ;):D

Hiram357
06-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Ah ha . . . I knew you loved the Greek Lover's Pizza more than you loved me . . . and here I thought all those times you have come down was just to hang out with me . . . I'm thinking it's time for a few more of those Guiness martinis . . . that would be the ones with the olives in 'em . . . or bits of tomato . . . or pizza cheese . . . or whatever else I can drop into the drink when you're not looking. ;):D

careful there jake, your knocking on death's door with those actions... :p

dubord207
06-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Aaron and Jason got a little out of control and over-aroused about the Greek Pizza. Do you guys break the plates when you're finished?

Now that I've been up to Eikokei land twice I feel qualified to offer a few suggestions.

First, GAS UP THE CAR in Old Town. You'll travel a lot of miles and there's nothing bust wilderness....and caches everywhere!

Bring some electrical tape and do you fellow cachers a favor if the pipe cleaners are disconnecting from the film cannisters.

Bug spray, LOTS!

Full cooler, with all your favorite "things."

Vehicle with good tires. There's no cell service anywhere up there.

Flashlights and headlamps unless you start real early.

Change of shoes. There's wet spots along the road.

Felt tip pen. Some of the logs are already wet.

Look at the Delorme before you go and decide how you want to do these loops. Use certain caches as intersection locators. Some of the intersections are not all that obvious.

Take a camera and have it ready. We have some great shots of moosse because we were ready. No telling what you'll see.

If you do this on a weekday, pull over when you see pulp trucks coming. I don't think they really give a you know what about people looking for film cannisters on "their" roads!

Most of all, let you fellow cachers know what a buzz this is. Di wasn't sure if this would be fun but after a dozen caches or so she was quite entertained by the whole mega-cache day thing!:)

hollora
06-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Actually, the Ekidokai Centrum as this might be called is Maine's own Economy Stimulus. Think of all the traffic this is creating from folks who would never travel these roads.

Speaking of tips - there is a store either before GC1TJZ3 or after depending on how you are doing the loop - you will be on the Greenfield Road........they have a great kitchen and make yummie sandwiches and if you are LUCKY they will have some of their home made Bismarks left! They are the best I have ever eatten.

I know what Dan will be doing tonight! Logging.........and logging..........

brdad
06-18-2009, 05:49 AM
It's just too bad someone didn't hide a gas saver cache at the end of the Stud Mill Road so cachers would not use as much gas to get all these caches. Maybe if one was placed at each end, they wouldn't use any gas! :rolleyes: Personally, I'd rather see a pizza joint at each end. There are already a few swimming pools in the middle...

hide_from_the_kids
06-18-2009, 08:45 AM
it's just too bad someone didn't hide a gas saver cache at the end of the stud mill road so cachers would not use as much gas to get all these caches. Maybe if one was placed at each end, they wouldn't use any gas! :rolleyes: Personally, i'd rather see a pizza joint at each end. There are already a few swimming pools in the middle...
maybe someone could set up a hotdog stand in the middle. Or maybe work a deal with dominoe's to see if they will deliver :d

Ekidokai
06-18-2009, 10:18 AM
I'd suggest starting in Crawford. There are a couple of interesting caches out at that end at Clifford Lake. Then as the light and gas are dwindling the lights at the 24 hour gas station in old town will be like the light at the end of te tunnel.

Otherwise, at the end of a long trip you'll be out on the Airline. If gas is critical you'll be advised to go east toward Calais. A 24 hour truck stop at the end of Rt.9

Or if you want to chance it the pumps are left on at night at my friends store in Clifton. The gas is pretty cheep there too.

It's up to you.

pm28570
06-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Like death and taxes, add hijacked threads by Hiram.....:D

[QUOTE=dubord207;53487]Aaron and Jason got a little out of control and over-aroused about the Greek Pizza. Do you guys break the plates when you're finished?

EvilHomer
06-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Now that I've been up to Eikokei land twice I feel qualified to offer a few suggestions.

There's no cell service anywhere up there.

WRONG! I can hit at least 2-3 bars many-MANY places out there.
US Cellular is no problem.

dubord207
06-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Wow! I have US Cellular and tried all day Tuesday to reach mapachi who was also doing these caches and the only time I had a signal was very close to route 9 and at Costigan at the beginning. My point in mentioning this is that this series is in the boondocks and if you get in trouble, run out of gas, etc., there might not be cell service. So as the Boy Scouts taught me, be prepared!

Of course, this coming Saturday there will be a car/truck of cachers going by every 3 minutes so no need to worry!

WRONG! I can hit at least 2-3 bars many-MANY places out there.
US Cellular is no problem.

Mainiac1957
06-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Myself as well as a few others will be out there the following weekend. I know my Resident Rock Star cache has been hit more this week than in the past three months. That's OK, that's what it's there for after all.

shuman road searchers
06-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Having just done this series, I know that there is almost no cell service with us cellular in that area. When I was a couple of miles from rt 9 I was able to get service and of course in Costigan. There was a section in the middle where I could not even get the no service icon!

fins2right
06-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Of course, this coming Saturday there will be a car/truck of cachers going by every 3 minutes so no need to worry!

Ya think? I'm heading for Moxie falls if all goes right. :D:D

Costigan happens at the end of July!

kymeejay
06-21-2009, 10:10 AM
This was a lot of fun. MustangKay and I did it yesterday. Well, we did most of it. We completed 120 put out by Mike and did one by EvilHomer. We would have done all of them but lack of gasoline became an issue. We hit empty about 10 caches shy of Route 9 in Wesley. It was a bit dicey as there isn't any cell service. However, it all ended well. We stopped caching and made it to the Irving at the end of Rt 9 with a few miles to spare. Now I will have to go and finish the rest. Thank you so much for making a Centrum possible in the middle of nowhere. Thanks for the tribute cache as well. I think that is pretty cool.

Ekidokai
06-22-2009, 01:00 AM
I keep saying the same thing, but what else can I. Thank you for the kind words and I'm so happy you are having a good time out there.

After reading 961 messages today or as I look at the clock yesterday, the things that you are writing is so entertaining that I can't stop.

Have fun people.

Trick or Treat
06-25-2009, 09:00 PM
If anyone told me that this is how I would be spending my anniversary I would have laughed out loud, but here I am: packing extra clothes, downloading the PQ and packing the food. 3xxTeam, the Mama half of Papa G, Trick and I are meeting at 0300 in Freeport to begin our pilgrimage to the Stud Mill Road. Why didn't anyone tell me this geocaching thing is really a religious cult? Is the SMR like Mecca? Do I have to go every year or will once suffice?

Ekidokai
06-25-2009, 09:03 PM
If anyone told me that this is how I would be spending my anniversary I would have laughed out loud, but here I am: packing extra clothes, downloading the PQ and packing the food. 3xxTeam, the Mama half of Papa G, Trick and I are meeting at 0300 in Freeport to begin our pilgrimage to the Stud Mill Road. Why didn't anyone tell me this geocaching thing is really a religious cult? Is the SMR like Mecca? Do I have to go every year or will once suffice?

I think there is still some room out there.

shuman road searchers
06-25-2009, 09:08 PM
After doing these I see that someone could put another 150 or so right in between the others. 300+ cache find day?

Trick or Treat
06-25-2009, 09:22 PM
After doing these I see that someone could put another 150 or so right in between the others. 300+ cache find day?

We need to get a marketing team on this right away!

shuman road searchers
06-25-2009, 09:27 PM
toll booth on both ends for sure!

brdad
06-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Oh god! Why not just put a pulley on each end and and the caches attached to a loop around them so people can just pull the string and log the caches as they loop by. Heck, why not hook the arrangement up to a motor so they don't have to trouble themselves pulling the string! :D

WhereRWe?
06-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Oh god! Why not just put a pulley on each end and and the caches attached to a loop around them so people can just pull the string and log the caches as they loop by. Heck, why not hook the arrangement up to a motor so they don't have to trouble themselves pulling the string! :D

Sheesh! Didn't you see the recent announcement that Kodak was doing away with their Kodachrome film? There's going to be a shortage of film cans very soon. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

brdad
06-26-2009, 07:16 AM
Sheesh! Didn't you see the recent announcement that Kodak was doing away with their Kodachrome film? There's going to be a shortage of film cans very soon. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeeha! But the numbers hounds will find a way, they'll switch to tampon tubes perhaps, anything to keep the hide/found count up! And before anyone bashes me for suggesting tampon tubes, don't think people don't use them (http://www.tamponcrafts.com/)!

TRF
06-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Yeeha! But the numbers hounds will find a way, they'll switch to tampon tubes perhaps, anything to keep the hide/found count up! And before anyone bashes me for suggesting tampon tubes, don't think people don't use them (http://www.tamponcrafts.com/)!

The way you are always grouching about the caches on the SMR I'm starting to wonder if YOU don't have a hoard of them. (You know I couldn't resist the glib.) :D:D:D:eek::D

p.s. I understand your point of view Dave and you make valid observations about the evolution of geocaching. Fortunately, there is room for everyone and their ideas in this sport.

Cache on!!

brdad
06-26-2009, 07:53 AM
Cute! :)

This thread is about the caches along the SMR, that's the only reason they are more discussed (positively or negatively) here. Having not done any of the caches placed yet, I can't make a full interpretation - but I have traveled the SMR many many times. So I will take a gamble that I could find many caches elsewhere I would find a lot less likable. The SMR is a nice drive.

And yes, there is something for everyone. Of course, many of the somethings for everyone (Virtuals, Locationless, etc.) no longer exist as we know it (many are on waymarking.com). But one of the conditions for that move was the degradation and multiplication of those cache types. And you might think that might make me happy - that these quicker caches will grow in numbers so large, and that they will get so many logs and new submissions that they are forced to be sent to their own separate website - but 'd rather that they could co-exist.

WhereRWe?
06-26-2009, 09:08 AM

Sheesh! I'll bet this will give some people great ideas for travel bugs...

:p:p

Opalsns
06-26-2009, 10:33 AM
BRDad,
Your Tampon creations are strange.
Don't you have anything else you can play with instead????

Opalsns

tat
06-26-2009, 12:23 PM
...switch to tampon tubes...

Wikipedia should add light, regular, super and super plus to their list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_pistol_and_rifle_cartridges).

:)

dubord207
06-26-2009, 04:48 PM
The only negative comments are coming from a single source. In all due respect, go out and do a bunch and then you can "make a full interpretation." All caches will please some, probably most cachers, some more then most. I've done half your Battleship cache and I think it's a hoot and a decent challenge. Some have commented that it has too many segments. So go whine already! While you have clearly made the point that you don't endorse this fine series, it's hard to deny the amount of positive attention and reviews posted by those who have actually taken the time to go out and do them! The negative comments are not going to dissuade folks from doing these caches or even placing a similar series.

Cute! :)

This thread is about the caches along the SMR, that's the only reason they are more discussed (positively or negatively) here. Having not done any of the caches placed yet, I can't make a full interpretation - but I have traveled the SMR many many times. So I will take a gamble that I could find many caches elsewhere I would find a lot less likable. The SMR is a nice drive.

And yes, there is something for everyone. Of course, many of the somethings for everyone (Virtuals, Locationless, etc.) no longer exist as we know it (many are on waymarking.com). But one of the conditions for that move was the degradation and multiplication of those cache types. And you might think that might make me happy - that these quicker caches will grow in numbers so large, and that they will get so many logs and new submissions that they are forced to be sent to their own separate website - but 'd rather that they could co-exist.

WhereRWe?
06-26-2009, 05:59 PM
The negative comments are not going to dissuade folks from doing these caches or even placing a similar series.

I appreciate achievement. I applaud accomplishment. But when the tasks become so simple that anyone can complete them, it's no longer an accomplishment.

I don't think Brdad is trying to dissuade anyone from placing or taking advantage of "power run" cache series. But I think that, like me, he regrets the diminution of the effort required to achieve milestones.

The motto of GeocachingMaine.org used to be "The Way Caching Should Be". I don't think we can use that motto anymore because we've adopted the shortcuts and expedients used in other areas so that geocaching in Maine no longer has the "quality" it once had.

For example: I do all the cooking for our family. I've never bought/used a jarred/canned spaghetti sauce. I always make it fresh from scratch. If you choose to use a jarred/canned spaghetti sauce, then yes, you're making spaghetti. Many people like jarred/canned spaghetti sauce and think it's great. But I challenge you to show me how the QUALITY of their spaghetti is superior to mine.

Mainiac1957
06-26-2009, 08:10 PM
There are 10 of us in three vehicles heading out there to hit them tomorrow:p

brdad
06-26-2009, 08:22 PM
But if I can cook more spaghetti and make it faster than you, that's what counts!!! Good home cooked food is overrated! :D

Regarding my Battleship cache - I had several cachers complain about it early on or at minimal say it was too much. I got a few harsh emails. Check the first log - the guy never found it and pretty much trashed the cache anyway. I didn't quit because I knew some would like it, there is something for everyone. I love variety in caching.

It wasn't long after a few people did the cache and enjoyed it. Some liked it enough that they created caches that were similar or had many stages. After about 5 of these was placed in the Bangor area, some using the same stages as Battlship for the stages of their puzzle, I couldn't help but think Bangor was the extreme multi capitol of Maine.

I'll just leave it at variety is a good thing.

Bruce, next time your in town I owe you some SpaghettiOs. If you just try a few cans, you'll like it. :)

I'm sitting on a lakeside in NH with my feet up, so I won't be there. Not one cache on the way down, but I picked up a nice piece of African Padauk. Have fun!

Gob-ler
06-26-2009, 08:28 PM
When reading of some of the distaste for this sort of thing I went back and did a little looking at caches and logs. For all the strong sentiment against this sort of cache presently it reminded me of a series that came out back when and all the comments about puppies and Dalmatians. Anyone else remember?

The really interesting thing is that with all the anti Dalmatian sentiment certain cachers expressed they sure did let quite a number of Dalmatian finds make their way into the found count that they have.

How long before Stud Mill Road logs start appearing in certain cachers found count?

Most just would put them on an ignore list and leave it be instead of ranting and raving about this and that and then go out and do them. It kind of deflates the argument as being one filled with a certain kind of air.

dubord207
06-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Yellow, it's yellow, not orange, right?:) Get 'em all Brad, I know you can do it!

brdad
06-26-2009, 08:36 PM
I've done 21 Dalmation caches. Some I liked, some I liked less. Just like all caches. Perfect example where variety is lacking, so you have to depend on hide or location. Most were hidden in a similar manner, so most of the ones I liked better were on account of them being at a nice location. Repeat for most other series. Any distaste I have for cache series are a seperate subject from the individual caches.

dubord207
06-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Gone, but certainly not forgotten! Don't worry Dick, there's lots of us that enjoy doing them all, just as you do!:) And Sheesh, I make my marinara from scratch too! No Prego in our home!

hide_from_the_kids
06-26-2009, 09:15 PM
I've never bought/used a jarred/canned spaghetti sauce. I always make it fresh from scratch. I challenge you to show me how the QUALITY of their spaghetti is superior to mine.

I make my marinara from scratch too! No Prego in our home!
this sounds like a good challenge i will be the judge just make sure that there is at least three meats and lots of garlic bread. pale ale on the side because spaghetti can be heavy. :D

Hiram357
06-26-2009, 09:41 PM

So we'll be able to just log all those caches any way we want, (wait for it....)

no strings attached right!?!?!?!?! haha I crack me up!! :D:D:D:D

Hiram357
06-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Wikipedia should add light, regular, super and super plus to their list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_pistol_and_rifle_cartridges).

:)

that'd be pretty expensive using bullet casings for a cache, the cost of ammo right now is pretty insane. I'd much rather use the tampon tube, it's cheaper and it supports our local economy! (heh, you're welcome tom...) :D

Ekidokai
06-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Guys and gals this is killing me.

This was not meant to water any thing down and I did think about that when I was putting this together. I asked a few that I knew that had done the Centum Challenge and got positive feedback. I have heard some things about different aspects that I did not think of. I really never thought that this would generate so much controversy.

I thank everyone that has sent notes to me about how much they like the monster up there. I just hope it is as much fun to everyone that takes it on. I really do read every log. And this weekend there will be a bunch.

I did this to see if it could be done. It was a lot of work but a lot of fun too. I just wish people would not come down so hard on anyone that gives their input on why they think this or any aspect of this grand adventure we enjoy is good or bad.

I have earned trophies for doing things that not everyone could. Now they give everyone a trophy. I know how special it was when I did it and those that really care do too. Some of the older people on here may remember how special it was to ride a bike up a mountain or long distance, now it's done every day. I know what I did and what went into the accomplishment. No one can take that away.

So, please stop the sniping and attacks. I actually appreciate the and understand the criticism. I promise I will never do it again.

TRF
06-27-2009, 06:06 AM
... ... ... ... I promise I will never do it again.

This is exactly what I think many are afraid of. Your ingenuity, efforts and accomplishment IS being critiqued and I hate to see creativity stifled because a few have a "pure" image of what should be. I'm a traditionalist myself but trying different things doesn't "dilute" the experience. It is actually what makes it great!! Thanks to folks like you who "dare" to move beyond the status quo, you have allowed the sport to expand and grow to encompass more folks.

Keep up the creative caches folks. Lets get more folks involved!!!

WhereRWe?
06-27-2009, 07:21 AM
How long before Stud Mill Road logs start appearing in certain cachers found count?

RULost2? and I won't pass up a cache simply because it's a micro/GRC/LPC. But we don't make any effort to seek out, let alone complete a series such as puppies, states, Seven Dwarves, Brady Bunch, etc.

If that's what you like, go for it. But for us, riding around pulling over at stop signs and guard rails is not geocaching. :p:p

Opalsns
06-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Yeah , but for someone in a wheelchair, walker, crutches, etc.........

.......... It's Geocaching!!!!

Opalsns
06-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Look,
E did a good job putting these out for the cachers that want to do them.

If a cacher doesn't want Their name on a cache, Tell Ekidoki and he''ll remove it and then you they go place a trash can full of treasures for me to find when I do My Opalsns Cache,LOL !!!!!!

My brother is a numbers man and even though I'm not a micro fan, We do several when I cache with him.

BRDad, you've got to chill.
For everyone it's a different adventure, and the truth is
Most of those commenting have been caching for YEARS, and The SMR has been there for YEARS. If you didn't want certain caches placed there you should have placed something there before E did. That's all.
Instead of looking up Tampon sites, you could be looking up roads to put caches on.

One good thing that came from this is knowing I'm not special, BRDad dislikes who he dislikes Equally!!!! LOL!!!

Opalsns

fins2right
06-27-2009, 08:35 AM
this sounds like a good challenge i will be the judge just make sure that there is at least three meats and lots of garlic bread. pale ale on the side because spaghetti can be heavy. :D

It sounds like an event cache! The Central Maine Great Maranara Cookoff and Beer Cachetival. Dan, I'll take care of the presentations at Inland in a few weeks, you guys make the food!

brdad
06-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Everyone has their interpretation of my opinion by now so I will leave it at that, and not open this thread again.

hide_from_the_kids
06-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Look,
E did a good job putting these out for the cachers that want to do them.

If a cacher doesn't want Their name on a cache, Tell Ekidoki and he''ll remove it and then you they go place a trash can full of treasures for me to find when I do My Opalsns Cache,LOL !!!!!!

My brother is a numbers man and even though I'm not a micro fan, We do several when I cache with him.

BRDad, you've got to chill.
For everyone it's a different adventure, and the truth is
Most of those commenting have been caching for YEARS, and The SMR has been there for YEARS. If you didn't want certain caches placed there you should have placed something there before E did. That's all.
Instead of looking up Tampon sites, you could be looking up roads to put caches on.

One good thing that came from this is knowing I'm not special, BRDad dislikes who he dislikes Equally!!!! LOL!!!

Opalsns
i will say this yes mike did a great job he is devoted to what he likes and that is great. what i don't like is that if someone has an opinion it always stirs up some type of grudge that seems to be there for one reason or another. brdad is allowed to have his opinion just like you and just like me. my opinion would be yes i will go for all those caches just like everyone else and i am sure i will enjoy them if not for location for some other reason for i will always find a way to enjoy this sport. as for the snide remarks and the constant drama i don't enjoy and for me to say something that means i have read to much of it. please allow each their opinion and respect it don't rip it apart because it is different from yours. and again this is my opinion not meant to hurt anyone or ruffle someone's feathers :o

Opalsns
06-27-2009, 12:13 PM
i will say this yes mike did a great job he is devoted to what he likes and that is great. what i don't like is that if someone has an opinion it always stirs up some type of grudge that seems to be there for one reason or another. brdad is allowed to have his opinion just like you and just like me. my opinion would be yes i will go for all those caches just like everyone else and i am sure i will enjoy them if not for location for some other reason for i will always find a way to enjoy this sport. as for the snide remarks and the constant drama i don't enjoy and for me to say something that means i have read to much of it. please allow each their opinion and respect it don't rip it apart because it is different from yours. and again this is my opinion not meant to hurt anyone or ruffle someone's feathers :o

Nice Try sweetie, but this won isn't about me , SORRY!!!!!

Ekidokai
06-27-2009, 04:33 PM
RULost2? and I won't pass up a cache simply because it's a micro/GRC/LPC. But we don't make any effort to seek out, let alone complete a series such as puppies, states, Seven Dwarves, Brady Bunch, etc.

If that's what you like, go for it. But for us, riding around pulling over at stop signs and guard rails is not geocaching. :p:p

For me, and I hope a lot of others geocaching is a grand adventure. Searching for treasure, figuring out clues and riddles, putting together data and using tools to bring you to a cache. In a sign, guard rail, tree, rock, or pond, they are all fun. Finding a nano stuck under a sign that normal people walk by everyday and don't even know what is going on is straight out of the movies and books.

Don't get me wrong, I still hate nanos, but all in all, what a ride.

Hiram357
06-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Don't get me wrong, I still hate nanos, but all in all, what a ride.

to throw in my two cents here, 10 of us went out there today, and we found every cache, not a single DNF, including some of the other caches we found along the way I think I found about 140, are most of them a blurrrrr.... yes. But the ride sure wasn't and the ones that were memorable sure weren't. We had a great time doing these, some brought you to really cool spots, some took you to a tree by a tree. One thing is for sure, I'm glad I spent the day doing this. :D

Davidson 7
06-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Ekidokai, thanks so much for placing all of those caches. I appreciate all the planning and time that it took for you to do it. I was among the ten Hiram is talking about, and we had a great time.... it's so nice to be able to get together, share some laughs and stories, and then adding caching to it all and it's a fantastic time. :D

Mainiac1957
06-28-2009, 11:40 AM
You either like em or you don't. Thanks goodness we still live in America (No offense Eebee) where you aren't forced to do caches that you don't want to do. Regardless of D/T rating, container size, or hider. Where you will or won't find them based on the opinions of friends, forum posters, or clergy. So this thread has covered every spectrum of what everyone thinks, if I am not mistaken. I have been mistaken plenty in the past that's for sure. If am wrong on this I'm sure there are plenty out there who will inform of that fact. I, as you noticed, won't quote anyone here as this is not directed at any one person. I am just pointing out the obvious. Let's hope the rain finally goes away as caching in the rain is one common denominator we all dislike. Have a great week and Happy Independence Day to all.:)

WhereRWe?
06-28-2009, 12:36 PM
So this thread has covered every spectrum of what everyone thinks, if I am not mistaken.

Sheesh! We must have missed SOMETHING! ;);)

Team2hunt
06-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Ekidokai, thanks so much for placing all of those caches. I appreciate all the planning and time that it took for you to do it. I was among the ten Hiram is talking about, and we had a great time.... it's so nice to be able to get together, share some laughs and stories, and then adding caching to it all and it's a fantastic time. :D

I appreciate all the hard work that E put into this. I had a blast driving the Stud Mill Road, visiting places that I never would have. Many laughs and lots of stories to remember. Great time with good friends. If you have not done the caches that E placed, your opinions about the Stud Mill Challenge.... are meaningless. I suggest everyone get out and enjoy a truly unspoiled area of Maine. Read the logs about how much fun everyone is having. :):D enjoy!

Team MECA

darterkitfox
06-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Well I sure hope this is as great as everyone says it is as I started hand entering all the coordinates into my worthless Delorme at 4 o'clock this afternoon and just now finished at 8:08 pm. We hope to try next weekend if I can get my ark built quick enough.

Haffy
06-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Just curious, by why are you hand entering the coordinates?

Hiram357
06-28-2009, 09:54 PM

Wait a minute, I don't remember seeing you there... ?????? :rolleyes::D:p

Mainiac1957
06-29-2009, 05:56 AM
She was the nice lady in the reddish, brownish, muddy blur that kept flying by us.:D:p:rolleyes:

darterkitfox
06-29-2009, 06:01 AM
Haffy, I'd like to answer you but then I'd be crucified for derailing a thread like I was last summer when I stopped coming to this site (that and being threatened by someone that I notice is still rude to everyone thinking LOL added to the end will make it better). Hiram, you didn't notice someone that cached with you for 140 caches. That's why I drink Moxie and not beer!

firefighterjake
06-29-2009, 07:17 AM
This is exactly what I think many are afraid of. Your ingenuity, efforts and accomplishment IS being critiqued and I hate to see creativity stifled because a few have a "pure" image of what should be. I'm a traditionalist myself but trying different things doesn't "dilute" the experience. It is actually what makes it great!! Thanks to folks like you who "dare" to move beyond the status quo, you have allowed the sport to expand and grow to encompass more folks.

Keep up the creative caches folks. Lets get more folks involved!!!

After having done this series I concur 100% with TRF . . .

I too truly enjoy getting out there and doing a bit of hiking . . . and I prefer to not hide micros . . . or take part in seed caches (although I admittedly did do one a while back) . . . but that said, I opted to do this series this past weekend and while I have to say I don't know if I would do something like this again it was unique and different from any other caching I've done.

More importantly, as one cacher said, this series gave a bunch of us a good excuse to hang out for the day and have a good time . . . and with that in mind . . . mission accomplished.

firefighterjake
06-29-2009, 07:20 AM
Ekidokai, thanks so much for placing all of those caches. I appreciate all the planning and time that it took for you to do it. I was among the ten Hiram is talking about, and we had a great time.... it's so nice to be able to get together, share some laughs and stories, drive through mud puddles, see your friend's Jeep adorned in pretty flowers, see your other friend's vehicle defaced by Hiram and then adding caching to it all and it's a fantastic time. :D

I fixed your quote.

firefighterjake
06-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Haffy, I'd like to answer you but then I'd be crucified for derailing a thread like I was last summer when I stopped coming to this site (that and being threatened by someone that I notice is still rude to everyone thinking LOL added to the end will make it better). Hiram, you didn't notice someone that cached with you for 140 caches. That's why I drink Moxie and not beer!

Nah, the only beer I saw Hiram with all day was the one by day's end at Pat's Pizza . . . I blame his "oversight" on the loss of blood from the mosquitoes sucking him dry. :D;)

Davidson 7
06-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Wait a minute, I don't remember seeing you there... ?????? :rolleyes::D:p

oh good!! that means that cloaking device is working!! :rolleyes::):D

She was the nice lady in the reddish, brownish, muddy blur that kept flying by us.:D:p:rolleyes:

or not.... :confused::eek::D Oh... wait... "nice lady" ayuh, that was eebee!! :D:o:D

I fixed your quote.

Thank you!! I knew I left something out.... and something so true too!! :D:D:D

Davidson 7
06-29-2009, 08:39 AM
Nah, the only beer I saw Hiram with all day was the one by day's end at Pat's Pizza . . . I blame his "oversight" on the loss of blood from the mosquitoes sucking him dry. :D;)

hmmm... now that you mention it he did look a little pale at Pat's.... :D

eebee
06-29-2009, 11:24 AM
You either like em or you don't. Thanks goodness we still live in America (No offense Eebee) where you aren't forced to do caches that you don't want to do.

Hee hee. None taken. Seems I'm here half the time anyway :D I've taken a liking to you 'merican cachers :)

It was a great, memorable day of caching and that's what is important to me. Caching has mostly been about the journey for me and not the actual find. That being said, paying attention to the numbers also allows me to set goals for myself which is also part of the fun!

Thanks, Ekidokai, for giving me a reason to brave the logging roads with a competitive bunch of mud-running, car-grafitti writing cachers. I had a blast!

eebee - Team Meca

eebee
06-29-2009, 11:31 AM
or not.... :confused::eek::D Oh... wait... "nice lady" ayuh, that was eebee!! :D:o:D

Careful what you accuse me of, lady :p We may have to arm wrestle to see who gets stuck with that title :rolleyes:

EvilHomer
06-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Some people can't seem to live and let live. Attitudes. :P

I would never behave in such a manner, would I Jake? ;)

Team2hunt
06-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks, Ekidokai, for giving me a reason to brave the logging roads with a competitive bunch of mud-running, car-grafitti writing cachers. I had a blast!

eebee - Team Meca

I had forgotten about that! ............HIRAM!!

fins2right
06-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Careful what you accuse me of, lady :p We may have to arm wrestle to see who gets stuck with that title :rolleyes:

After the arm wrestling, who is designing the Team MECA pathtag?? :D

Hiram357
06-30-2009, 07:49 PM
I had forgotten about that! ............HIRAM!!

I don't know what you're talking about.... :rolleyes:

firefighterjake
07-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Some people can't seem to live and let live. Attitudes. :P

I would never behave in such a manner, would I Jake? ;)

Nah, you're so unopinionated and quiet . . . rarely stirring the waters. ;):D

Although I have to tell ya Alan, it seems like you're mellowing out more as you get older . . . and have kids. ;):D

Mapachi
07-01-2009, 08:17 AM
I have just spent a hour reading all these posts. All I have to say is....

Jannetti

My mom's spaghetti recipe

Fry one onion with one pound of hamberg.
And two one pound cans of Franco American spaghetti..(now Campbells)
Add salt and pepper to taste.

you can make this over a can of Sterno on the Stud Mill Road!

Sudonim
07-01-2009, 12:40 PM

Jannetti

you can make this over a can of Sterno on the Stud Mill Road!

With all the mosquitoes falling into the mix, can you reduce the hamburg to 1/2 pound?

pm28570
07-01-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't think you can use a protected species like the state bird.....

With all the mosquitoes falling into the mix, can you reduce the hamburg to 1/2 pound?

hide_from_the_kids
07-01-2009, 11:03 PM
I don't think you can use a protected species like the state bird.....
can you sell them? i went by a sign offering them 3 for 1 the other day:D

masterson of the universe
07-02-2009, 02:57 PM
There is not a way to do the SMR sans back tracking. The more I look at it, I can't decide whether to go all the way out Route 9 and start there working north, west, then south and backtrack back up to the SMR and continue west again or to start from the west and work the top loop before working the SMR. Primary focus is fuel.... Did you guys do it on 1 tank or did you stop to fill up somewhere? Should I really need to bring a spare tank in the trunk? I've dropped all the big name fuel POI's that i can find onto the GPS but I'm not going to find mom and pop stores...Just trying to find the best plan of attack from the experts so I can focus on the GPS and not the fuel guage.

WhereRWe?
07-02-2009, 03:00 PM
can you sell them? i went by a sign offering them 3 for 1 the other day:D

Sheesh! Put them on eBay! People there will buy ANYTHING! :D:D

shuman road searchers
07-02-2009, 04:09 PM
There is not a way to do the SMR sans back tracking. The more I look at it, I can't decide whether to go all the way out Route 9 and start there working north, west, then south and backtrack back up to the SMR and continue west again or to start from the west and work the top loop before working the SMR. Primary focus is fuel.... Did you guys do it on 1 tank or did you stop to fill up somewhere? Should I really need to bring a spare tank in the trunk? I've dropped all the big name fuel POI's that i can find onto the GPS but I'm not going to find mom and pop stores...Just trying to find the best plan of attack from the experts so I can focus on the GPS and not the fuel guage.

Having done these already, I think the best approach is to start on the far end of RT 9 and work back towards Costigan. I would do all of the side roads as I was working my way down the STR towards Costigan. There is a mom and pop gas station on the Costigan end of the Stud Mill Road that could be used to fill back up and then finish the loop around that area. When I did it I went the other direction and did have fuel issues and could not finish because of it. Hind sight!

Gob-ler
07-02-2009, 04:38 PM
When we did it we filled up at the Irving just outside of Bangor and we drove all the way out and then worked it back. Finished with just under 1/2 tank of gas so the gas was not an issue.

But the way, we did not drive at a gas conserving speed either.

Haffy
07-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Was wondering if anyone has a track of the route that they took to do this series? It would be cool to look at it in Mapsource or Google Earth for someone who wouldn't be able to tackle it any time soon. Thanks

07-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Good idea...I'll keep my track but like Haffy states, it would be fun to see others trips as well.

WhereRWe?
07-02-2009, 05:51 PM

Jannetti

Thank you for making my point even more obvious! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ekidokai
07-02-2009, 08:32 PM
The only way to do this is to go out to Imapaw for the first one. This way you will be coming into Costigan and Old Town near the end and the gas gage wont worry you.

I had planned on having a guy and his scooter with me as I placed them and have him make a food and fuel run in the middle. He chickened out so I brought extra gas and food. Didn't need the gas but it was close at the end. There is a place out on Rt. 9 near the 193 intersection just up the road from the Whyvon cache. They close early though.

Mainiac1957
07-02-2009, 10:20 PM
From my house in Brewer and back was about 220 miles. Just a half a tank of gas. No worries there. Snacks and bathrooms are a bigger issue. Bring food and TP with you. Starting at IAMPAW and then just caching out the spur roads and blasting back to the Stud Mill Rd works just dandy. This is how we did it last weekend.

Hiram357
07-03-2009, 08:49 AM
From my house in Brewer and back was about 220 miles. Just a half a tank of gas. No worries there. Snacks and bathrooms are a bigger issue. Bring food and TP with you. Starting at IAMPAW and then just caching out the spur roads and blasting back to the Stud Mill Rd works just dandy. This is how we did it last weekend.

I do concur, it was just dandy. Spiffy even. Worked out quite well. :D;)

TeamHorwich
07-04-2009, 08:13 AM
[QUOTE=Ekidokai;54080]The only way to do this is to go out to Imapaw for the first one. This way you will be coming into Costigan and Old Town near the end and the gas gage wont worry you.

well not the only way to do it...in fact we did start on the Old Town side and finished with Iampaw...now worries on the gas tank at all - now the nail in the tire was another story, but that held fine and better when we got some air into it...the quick stop at a local place to refill the coffee was nice until I was turned away from using their restroom...we had a ball all around and enjoyed the trip, especially the scenic spots along the way...no moose though and I was promised a moose or two ; )

darterkitfox
07-04-2009, 10:09 PM
After just getting back from doing this, I can now give my opinions. After filling up our truck at a little store near For Crying out Loud, we continued with that end and started down Stud Mill. We got as far (coincidentally) as Darterkitfox when the truck started skipping and sputtering and the engine light came on. Having a job where I sometimes pump out water at gas stations, I believe that they had ethenol problems and I got water saturated fuel. We knew that to keep going would be a mistake so we turned around and headed back to Old Town. We almost made it back when the truck started running smoothly again. We ended up driving up to Lincoln and then out to Vanceboro for a Delorme challenge cache before spending the night. We then drove down and started Stud Mill from the Calais side and working our way back to where we stopped. On the side roads, I left every other one and then got the remaining on the way back. I found the whole series to be kind of fun and amusing and it got to be even more fun trying to spot them from the road or not even using the GPS at all. I would have to say though that I don't believe any combination of these should be in the Centum challenge. As some have said, a challenge isn't a challenge if anyone can do it. It might have taken me two days because of vehicle problems, but the total hours was less than 14, and I didn't have a "team". Just a wife that I spent more time fighting with, than looking for caches. All in all, a very fitting, and well done series.

TeamHorwich
07-05-2009, 10:46 AM
but depending on when and where you started caching, the density exists for a newbie to do 100 in and around Portland without too much trouble. And I would say, it clearly is a bit of a challenge...the gas issue, the roads, etc...maybe not what people thought when they started the centum thing, but I can't imagine excluding it...

"I would have to say though that I don't believe any combination of these should be in the Centum challenge. As some have said, a challenge isn't a challenge if anyone can do it."

Opalsns
07-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Before anyone gets antsy, this is the appropriate thread for my comment because it is about these caches.
I just want to say something here and then I'll let it be.
I have had words with a few people on this site. Like 4 people I believe, NOT EVERYONE.
I have been encouraged by some I have been Challenged by others and I have felt singled out by a few and said something about it.
#1. The shoot out with where r we was wrong . I was given information that may or may not have been appropriate and encouraged to stand my ground. And was also told who should not be voted for for the board. I voted my way.
I also Publicly appologized to him, his wife and family.And my appology was accepted.
#2. I truly don't know why BrDad doesn't like me as we have never met nor has he done my caches, that I know of. I will say I am very passionate with my feelings and opinions.
So are alot of people. One case, was the opinions on the coin. 2 days earlier, folks, including a board member, disscussed change. Nothing was said. I bring it up and got attacked. then it turned into a group bashing on me... Go read it , it's there!
#3 What you can't read is the emails sent to me during these Disscussions because I don't CC: them all to everone on this site and GC.Com. Or the email from someone that's sworn to protect and serve, telling someone with a few learning bugs, that they have POOR ENGLISH.
And if someone has heard enough, why do they add fuel to the fire by insulting them, keeping the heat on high ?????

You Think I'm Quick to Judge, Sheesh. Look at your own posts.

BUT the absolute lowest, snake like , childish and most Derelect thing, I would NEVER do is insult someone in a cache log, let alone a cache in their own name. That's POOR sportmanship and totally uneccesary. Shame on you and anyone who encourages it.
That's lower than deleting someones log because your mad at them.

Unbelievable

squirrelcache
07-05-2009, 11:43 AM
I've had good luck staying on Parks Pond in Clifton. Nice folks and decent accomodations. I'm heading back to that area again this Fall if that's any indication.

lexmano
07-06-2009, 08:11 AM
BUT the absolute lowest, snake like , childish and most Derelect thing, I would NEVER do is insult someone in a cache log, let alone a cache in their own name. That's POOR sportmanship and totally uneccesary. Shame on you and anyone who encourages it.

Unbelievable

I found the log you were mentioning and I agree with you that it is uncalled for and not needed in this sport. I am surprised no one else has had anything to say.

You have every right to be upset with that log and I would hope the cache owner would consider deleting it, if the poster will not change it.

TRF
07-06-2009, 09:41 AM
I found the log you were mentioning and I agree with you that it is uncalled for and not needed in this sport. I am surprised no one else has had anything to say.

You have every right to be upset with that log and I would hope the cache owner would consider deleting it, if the poster will not change it.

I did respond directly to Opalsns saying that I admire her courage to speak openly here at gcmaine.org.

lexmano
07-06-2009, 12:03 PM
I would hope the cache owner would consider deleting it, if the poster will not change it.

The offending log and one other I had noticed are no longer showing up. The finders have not reported their find logs, so I assume Ekidokai deleted the posts. Glad they are gone.

dblacks
07-06-2009, 12:13 PM
wow, it takes a bit to get to a new post on this thread, I am out of breath.....lol

That is an awesome area for any type of recreation, we have a friend with a camp on upper Lead and have been up there ATV trail riding 2 times in the past month.

Drew and I are headed back up to do this series of caches and much more when I can take a couple of weekdays of from work so we can go and have a guys only trip. Some Caching, fishing and more ATV'ing of course.

Ekidokai
07-06-2009, 01:14 PM
The offending log and one other I had noticed are no longer showing up. The finders have not reported their find logs, so I assume Ekidokai deleted the posts. Glad they are gone.

As my e-mail is set up I get the newest ones first. I got the notice about the log and later on read the log that was sent as it was posted. When I looked at the page it was not there and another was gone too.

I had nothing to do with it and at this point I didn't know I could do anything about logs that people posted and really don't know how I would do it.

I don't think I would have deleted them anyway. I might have asked for them to reconsider the comments and see where that went. I welcome them to log the caches again.

Must go out and do maintenance out there now. Wet logs and all.

firefighterjake
07-06-2009, 01:55 PM
wow, it takes a bit to get to a new post on this thread, I am out of breath.....lol

That is an awesome area for any type of recreation, we have a friend with a camp on upper Lead and have been up there ATV trail riding 2 times in the past month.

Drew and I are headed back up to do this series of caches and much more when I can take a couple of weekdays of from work so we can go and have a guys only trip. Some Caching, fishing and more ATV'ing of course.

Hmmmm . . . seems as though I know another dblacks from some other forum that I frequently check out. ;):D Glad to see you here dblacks . . . assuming that it is the one and only dblacks. You might see a few other familiar "faces" here . . . some who still are at sledmaine.com, some who haven't been there for a while by choice and at least one who has the dubious honor and priviledge of being one -- if not the only -- person to somehow get the old boot-a-roni . . . although here he's pretty quiet . . . I think he's mellowing out in his "old age." ;):D

benandtina
07-06-2009, 03:26 PM
I know pretty much everyone has done this run by now, but I figure this is worth asking. Is anyone planning to do it this weekend? If so, Ben and I would love to put together a group. We did our 99th find this past weekend and would like our 100th log to be the cache Ekidokai named after us. After that we'll just work our way through the run.

I have yet to see a moose... if I am able to log my 100th cache, log 100+ new caches AND see a moose in the same day I will be a very happy girl.

dubord207
07-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Not sure what prompted DKF to post such a nasty log. While there's plenty of opportunity for thought-provoking comments,. getting that personal is uncalled for. I say DKF is on double-secret probation until we see a public apology!:(:(:(:( I think Patty did well to respond as moderately as she did.

lexmano
07-06-2009, 04:42 PM
I had nothing to do with it and at this point I didn't know I could do anything about logs that people posted and really don't know how I would do it.

You have great power as a cache owner. Simply select the log you are interested in and select edit. You then have the choice of deleting the log or permanently encrypting it.

dubord207
07-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Knowing Mike, the last thing he wanted when he laid out this fantastic series was a huge amount of controversy. The rather limited issues have actually related to those who like this sort of series and those who do not. Those that have done these have posted with a great deal of enthusiasm, with the one exception and he chose to levy a personal attack on a fellow cacher, a "no-no" in my book. So Mike, if anybody does this again, use your "authority" as the cache placer to delete the log. While I have never had to do this, not even close, it is an option when somebody gets personal or posts what was clearly a spiteful log. You will not be viewed in a negative light, in fact, it shows sensitivity and respect for the feelings of fellow cachers.

Sudonim
07-06-2009, 08:18 PM
I didn't read the log in question, but the "Praise in public, chastise in private" phrase goes a long way. Not always the solution, a good one to try for.

Ekidokai
07-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Well it's all over and gone however it happened.

Forget about this and go have a good time.

hollora
07-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Well it's all over and gone however it happened.

Forget about this and go have a good time.

Well, I guess I missed this all so can not pass judgement. I will wait for more information before posting any more - an I am one of those who - well, I won't say any more.

For those who really know me - I am what I am. And for those who choose to think they know me - well, say as you wish.........remember there is a life beyond the internet...............so................the kind words are - don't think you know me, pass judgement of whatever, before you really do know me. Now, how long does that take well - more than an hour, a minute or a few chats on line. I am a deep person who will not waiver from my convictions.

Should you have received emails from me and kept them - and wish to use them to discredit me or try to destroy me = go for it. It won't be the first time...........and probably not the last! I say it from my hip and that's the way it is.

So - cache on folks and cache happy.

Davidson 7
07-07-2009, 08:00 AM
I have to say that as someone who wishes to become involved more with this forum all of the "drama" certainly makes it difficult. It's interesting to me that when I spend time with you, those of you whom I know, none of this drama exists.... yet on here it seems to gallop. It certainly doesn't seem to me to be within the spirit of the sport, and I can't help but realize how much of this appears to be sour grapes and would more appropriately be tended to via DM. But, I'm a newbie, on this forum.... so maybe this is par for the course. It's unfortunate if that is true however.... I've seen other forums brought down by this type of thing, because "new people" don't necessarily want anything to do with it either.

Does all of this drama really reflect what we want caching in Maine to be?

Haffy
07-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Over the years there have been many heated discussions in here but usually they just last for a few posts and tend to disappear and become forgotten after a while. I have been a member of many different forums over the years and I can honestly say that this one is very subtle compared to others I have belonged to. It's hard to get true feelings across over the printed word and sometimes they can seem to be quite abrupt in the way they are interpreted at times. I agree that sometimes the best way is to PM a particular person instead of displaying the words over a public forum. For the majority of times we are a fun bunch here and wouldn't change a thing. We have so much to offer with many different interests, and so many different life backgounds. We also have many talented writers and photographers as well to.There is another geocaching forum here in the state and it is quite stagnant only because they don't believe in free speech and that is what intrigues me here. JMHO Happy Caching

robt
07-07-2009, 01:58 PM
and Tonight on CBS, "portrait of a Chatroom Drama Queen" :D:D:D:D:D

Just kidding it has been preempted by even more coverage of the life and times of Micheal Jackson........ And no, I will not comment on that one as I have allready used most of the bad MJ jokes I know of. :D:D:D:D

TeamHorwich
07-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Whoa...just when I was starting to agree with you, Haffy...yes, the "other" forum/website is quite stagnant - whether it is because of some belief about free speech or not is not exactly accurate, but lets not derail another thread with anymore "drama..."
There is another geocaching forum here in the state and it is quite stagnant only because they don't believe in free speech and that is what intrigues me here. JMHO Happy Caching

Haffy
07-07-2009, 07:00 PM
No "drama" was intended, I and a few others from this site have had posts deleted just for mentioning this site over there so I only speak from "experience", just speaking the facts is all.

07-07-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm sure if i spend enough time I could find it but where is the other site?

Haffy
07-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Ok I really shouldn't but, I see you've already found it.

07-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Seems like a pretty baron site. Almost every thread on there has not been posted on since 2008. I'm glad i found this one first...

squirrelcache
07-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Personal Politics.........they're hard to avoid no matter where you go.....and drama isn't usually too far behind. Many are passionate.....and some are better at tempering it. I like sayings of the older and wiser folks that have faired the ebb and flow of life. 1) Reminders Can be a wonderful thing. 2)QTIP (Quit Taking It Personally) 3) Most Everything is a matter of Choice 4) There's a time and place for Everything 5) Pointing a finger often has atleast three pointing back at you.

It all comes from experience, patience and understanding. Allow yourself some first...then give a little to the next guy. To succeed...you first must fail....atleast once! I think that's the greatest thing about life. None of us is exempt from any of it. So we all smile and wink w/understanding, perhaps even offering a hand. That's what this online Community is All about. Learning.......sharing......growing. Thank you one and all........ I don't take it for granted.

Mapachi
07-07-2009, 09:01 PM
I read all these posts for comic relief. What a hoot you all are! Cat fights! Cock fights, Dog fights and lust in the dust of the Stud Mill Road! Ha Ha Ha!

shuman road searchers
07-07-2009, 09:04 PM
I did not see anything about lust in the dust. Did I miss that one or are you sharing a personal story?

Davidson 7
07-08-2009, 07:00 AM
hmmm..... lust in the dust? I seem to recall a "just married" and a rainbow drawn on the back of a particular SUV.... and two fish with.... well, two fish. Anyone remember that? Hiram? Team2Hunt? :p:D:D:eek:

firefighterjake
07-08-2009, 07:21 AM
hmmm..... lust in the dust? I seem to recall a "just married" and a rainbow drawn on the back of a particular SUV.... and two fish with.... well, two fish. Anyone remember that? Hiram? Team2Hunt? :p:D:D:eek:\

Uh, all I remember is two fish fighting each other with swords . . .

(There, I tried to cover for you Hiram. ;):D)

firefighterjake
07-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Personal Politics.........they're hard to avoid no matter where you go.....and drama isn't usually too far behind. Many are passionate.....and some are better at tempering it. I like sayings of the older and wiser folks that have faired the ebb and flow of life. 1) Reminders Can be a wonderful thing . . . but clicking Reply to All to forward the e-mail showing a dog barking out Jingle Bells isn't such a wonderful thing -- in fact it's right up there with sending out e-mails asking folks to acknowledge receipt of the e-mail . . . for every single e-mail. 2)QTIP (Quit Taking It Personally) . . . and BEANO (Beware: Every (thread seen by) Aaron (may be) Noticed (and)Obliviated (or at the very least derailed) and 3) Most Everything is a matter of Choice . . . with the exception being that if you're in middle of caching on the Stud Mill Road and all of a sudden that urge hits you there is no choice in restrooms 4) There's a time and place for Everything . . . except for Hiram as he believes there is always a time and place for Guiness regardless of the time or place 5) Pointing a finger often has atleast three pointing back at you . . . unless you live in Waldo County as I do . . . in which case there could only be one finger pointing back at you due to that haybaler accident back in '88 or you could have seven fingers pointing back at you due to all of the genetic inbreeding.

It all comes from experience, patience and understanding. Allow yourself some first...then give a little to the next guy. To succeed...you first must fail....atleast once! I think that's the greatest thing about life. None of us is exempt from any of it. So we all smile and wink w/understanding, perhaps even offering a hand. That's what this online Community is All about. Learning.......sharing......growing. Thank you one and all........ I don't take it for granted.

On a serious note, good words to live by . . .

However, by now folks know how Hiram and I run . . . so I fixed a few things for you. ;):D

EMSDanel
07-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Two comments regarding "lust in the dust".....1. with all the rain we've been having it must take a great deal of lustful activity to raise any dust...so....congrats to the dust raisers! and 2. Oh sure, I've been so busy every weekend I haven't been able to get out there yet. Now I see what I've been missing.... :-(

squirrelcache
07-08-2009, 11:10 PM
My DW's input: "Sometimes you're the statue......and sometimes you're the pigeon" or "Sometimes your the bug....sometimes your the windshield" or "Be careful of putting both feet in your mouth......leaving you w/out a leg to stand on" ;)

kayaking loon
07-09-2009, 08:03 AM
We're thinking about doing the Stud Mill run the weekend of July 25-26, weather permitting. Will anyone else be out there then? We're not looking for someone to do the run with us, just want to stop and say hello if we meet other cachers.

pjpreb
07-09-2009, 05:42 PM
My DW's input: "Sometimes you're the statue......and sometimes you're the pigeon" or "Sometimes your the bug....sometimes your the windshield" or "Be careful of putting both feet in your mouth......leaving you w/out a leg to stand on" ;)

I *knew* I heard the statue/pidgeon one before. Some thoughts I posted in 2004:

* Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
* Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
* Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
* Drive carefully. It's not only cars that can be recalled by their maker.
* If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
* If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
* It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
* Never buy a car you can't push.
* Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.
* Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.
* Since it's the early worm that gets eaten by the bird, sleep late.
* The second mouse gets the cheese.
* When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
* Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
* You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.
* We could learn a lot from crayons...
Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.
*A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour. (or finds a great cache there!)

EvilHomer
07-09-2009, 09:06 PM
AAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNYWAYYYYYY....................... .................

I have been hunting out on the Stud Mill for years and as far out as I have gone I have never been worried about gas. I always head in with a full tank and have plenty to spare. I have been on most of the roads that EKI did and have always been able to come out with plenty of gas. Pre-plan you loops so that you end up on RT 9 somewhere along the way if you DO need to resupply.

fins2right
07-09-2009, 09:12 PM
We're thinking about doing the Stud Mill run the weekend of July 25-26, weather permitting. Will anyone else be out there then? We're not looking for someone to do the run with us, just want to stop and say hello if we meet other cachers.

I expect that my caching crew and the Rumseys will be up that weekend. I hope to run into you guys!!

EMSDanel
07-09-2009, 09:35 PM
That weekend may be my first opportunity to get up there as well. My plan was to start on the west end (Costigan) around 4:30am. I'd love to have company. Any takers?

Ekidokai
07-10-2009, 12:01 AM
I am planning on being in Ohio at the Midwest Geobash 2009 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1HKTM) Mega event that weekend at this point or I would love to go with and do maintenance on them.

I have read so many cool stories about the teams having fun out there I feel kind of left out and that would be a great opportunity to go out and partake a little.

EMSDanel
07-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Geez, Mike.....if you don't go to Ohio we'd certainly like to have you along. I mean, you might have some inside information if I get out there and can't find one or two of those caches. I'll spring for all the gas/fuel. ;-)

Ekidokai
07-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Oh no, I'll pay my way. I'll bring Moxie and molasses donuts too.

firefighterjake
07-10-2009, 06:41 AM

That right there would almost make it worthwhile to go back and do this series again! ;):D

pm28570
07-10-2009, 07:44 AM
The Moxie Festival is this weekend, by the way, in Lisbon Falls.

kayaking loon
07-10-2009, 07:53 AM

My husband likes Moxie and I love molasses donuts! Guess you'll have to skip Ohio.....

Or maybe it will rain hard and we'll all go the next weekend.

We plan to start in Costigan and 4:30 AM sounds good to me but I bet I can't get my husband to agree to that. We're thinking of either ending up on the Airline and going to Machias the next night or go back to Costigan, haven't decided yet. Haven't got room reservations yet either, waiting to see what the weather is like. But all the caches are in my PN-20 so I'm ready!

pm28570
07-10-2009, 08:35 AM
At some point, I will take a run at it and would like to do so with others. However, this weekend is dicey for me, if I can do it, it will be last minute as I will be returning from Rangeley area on Friday before after a week of camping.

That weekend may be my first opportunity to get up there as well. My plan was to start on the west end (Costigan) around 4:30am. I'd love to have company. Any takers?

benandtina
07-10-2009, 09:36 AM
We may try that weekend. Our original plan was to do it this weekend but we wanted to do some caching yesterday evening and I refused to let us... I wanted the BenandTina one to be our 100th :) Ben thought I was nuts but played along, lol. We only got 6 of the caches in the run before running out of daylight, so we still have the entire run to do. I'm fairly certain I won't be able to get Ben out of bed in time to be there at 4:30AM but I'll try my best.

lexmano
07-10-2009, 11:41 AM
BSAK07 from RI will be spending the night in the Bangor area Saturday night and are hoping to find 100 Sunday on the SMR. They are planning on starting at the Milford end early Sunday and quitting once they hit the century mark to start their long ride home.

If anyone is interested in running with them, I can provide the intros.

Lexmano

Cell 939-0820

pjpreb
08-02-2009, 09:50 PM
We were on vacation last week and did the Stud Mill Run (aka the Million Mosquito March). We cached with some friends from CT and had such a great time! Thank you so much for giving us such a fun day! We especially had fun with GC1TJZ3 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3533c097-447b-4197-98dc-753e0d7e4537)

hollora
08-03-2009, 12:25 PM
We were on vacation last week and did the Stud Mill Run (aka the Million Mosquito March). We cached with some friends from CT and had such a great time! Thank you so much for giving us such a fun day! We especially had fun with GC1TJZ3 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3533c097-447b-4197-98dc-753e0d7e4537)

Very creative photos - gotta love them!:)

Ekidokai
08-07-2009, 12:53 PM
That is just too funny.