View Full Version : Hi there!

softball29
06-15-2009, 02:39 AM
Hello from Upstate New York! I have been looking through the site tonight (and will continue to do so for a while) as me and a friend are looking to make a couple of day trip through Maine on a geocaching roadtrip in early August.

I'll be trying to find some of the "must-find" caches as well as others -- once we come up with a way we want to travel. We're likely going to follow 95 up to the border and hopefully into Canada for a few hours. Our way back, we're likely going to make our way toward Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park and take other roads down the coast to grab a bunch of Earthcaches.

From my looking around tonight, looks like Maine is sweet caching. I'll look forward to this trip!

brdad
06-15-2009, 05:39 AM
Welcome to the site!

By "the border" do you mean Houlton or some other point? We have many many miles of Canadian Border.

I can't help you once you're in Canada. Stupid Parole laws. :rolleyes:

You'll love the Maine coast.

We have several nice earthcaches. If you can give us a more precise route and an idea of the D/T and type caches you like to do we can give you some ideas.

dubord207
06-15-2009, 07:06 AM
Hi PJ! Here's a few suggestions. These are mostly close to Route 1 with a side trip to Boothbay Harbor and Castine.

Bug Light in Portland for a great view of the Harbor.

Take the trip down Route 24 from Brunswick, a penisula with a wide assortment of caches. Lobster Stew and a frosty at Cook's is recommended.

At Boothbay, all of the Pike Patrol BRLT caches are terrific. Don't miss Hasta La Vista Maybe. Encylopaedia Botanica is in the Maine Botanical Gardens, small fee but beautiful place.

Rockland, there's a cache at the start of the mile long Breakwater, then walk on out. Hot Dogs at Wasses, none better. Then a 15 minute hike up the Beech Hill cache, best view of Penobscot Bay in the area.

Camden, you drive to the top of Mt Battie to get Patty's Mount Battie cache. Great view if the fog is not in. Down at the Harbor, Schooners R us cache (mine) will put you harborside. On Saturdays and early Sunday mornings the schooners will be in. Try lunch at Cappy's chowder house, best Bloody Mary's in Maine! There's a real cool earthcache slightly out of you way called Gravity Outlaw. If you want to see some spectacular mansions and beautiful little park, do Going to the Chapel.

Just north of Belfast, going into Moose Point and take the 15 minute walk along the shore to the one cache there. Small fee but worth it.

Fort Point cache in Stockton Springs. Now you're getting "downeast!"

Now you need to decide about side trips. Castine has a lot of nice caches. The Witherle Woods caches are some of my favorites.

Acadia National Park is Maine's only National Park and there are plenty of opportunites, but generally a rather busy place in summer months.

If you're continuing on Route 1, Roque Rocks cache is worth a stop and you'll be rewarded with scenic vistas all the way to the cache. You need to go when the tide is on the low side. This is one of the few 2001 placed caches left in Maine.

From there, you're on you own as that's a far downeast as I've cached. Have fun!:)

Sudonim
06-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Boy, Dubord summed it up great. Beech Hill was one of my favorites and all of the listed caches will take you on a scenic journey through coastal Maine.

benandtina
06-15-2009, 08:42 AM
Hi! Welcome :o)

One of my favorites has been "Got Moxie?" (GCH9JK), but I think that may be going a little out of your way.

I second dubord's suggestion of Fort Point... the cache is near my husband's favorite sea glass spot.

WhereRWe?
06-15-2009, 11:53 AM
We're likely going to follow 95 up to the border and hopefully into Canada for a few hours.

Personally, I don't think there's any reason for doing this. Almost nothing to see between Bangor and the Canadian border (120 miles), and very few nearby geocaches. The very nice Kings Landing Historical Settlement (http://www.kingslanding.nb.ca/) near Fredericton, New Brunswick is definitely worth a visit, though (1 hour beyond the border).

I'd recommend traveling along the coast to the Canadian border. Great scenery, lots of geocaches, and nice towns at the end of the line: Calais in the US, St. Stephen (ChocolateTown Canada) across the border. And you can take the fairly fast Route 9 (2 hours or so) back to Bangor.

And I don't remember if anyone mentioned, but don't forget that you need either a passport or passport card to get back into the US.

softball29
06-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the site!

By "the border" do you mean Houlton or some other point? We have many many miles of Canadian Border.

I can't help you once you're in Canada. Stupid Parole laws. :rolleyes:

You'll love the Maine coast.

We have several nice earthcaches. If you can give us a more precise route and an idea of the D/T and type caches you like to do we can give you some ideas.

As of right now, yes, Houlton is the spot we were looking at.

I've been to Maine once before -- went to Bar Harbor a few years back and the coast is amazing. We went in the fall, which was even better with the colors.

Basically, we're doing something like this -- starting in New York and zig-zagging up through the Eastern side to get many DeLorme squares. Then we're crossing over through Vermont and New Hampshire and then up into Maine. The goal is probably to spend about two days driving through and caching Maine. Possibly some camping, or pending weather, finding quick hotels.

But, I'm a planner when on big trips, so I need to start now if I'm going to be prepared for August! That way I can get everything in order of what we feel is the best way to go!

Thanks again. So far, there are some great items on this thread that I need to look at!

softball29
06-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi PJ! Here's a few suggestions. These are mostly close to Route 1 with a side trip to Boothbay Harbor and Castine.

Bug Light in Portland for a great view of the Harbor.

Take the trip down Route 24 from Brunswick, a penisula with a wide assortment of caches. Lobster Stew and a frosty at Cook's is recommended.

At Boothbay, all of the Pike Patrol BRLT caches are terrific. Don't miss Hasta La Vista Maybe. Encylopaedia Botanica is in the Maine Botanical Gardens, small fee but beautiful place.

Rockland, there's a cache at the start of the mile long Breakwater, then walk on out. Hot Dogs at Wasses, none better. Then a 15 minute hike up the Beech Hill cache, best view of Penobscot Bay in the area.

Camden, you drive to the top of Mt Battie to get Patty's Mount Battie cache. Great view if the fog is not in. Down at the Harbor, Schooners R us cache (mine) will put you harborside. On Saturdays and early Sunday mornings the schooners will be in. Try lunch at Cappy's chowder house, best Bloody Mary's in Maine! There's a real cool earthcache slightly out of you way called Gravity Outlaw. If you want to see some spectacular mansions and beautiful little park, do Going to the Chapel.

Just north of Belfast, going into Moose Point and take the 15 minute walk along the shore to the one cache there. Small fee but worth it.

Fort Point cache in Stockton Springs. Now you're getting "downeast!"

Now you need to decide about side trips. Castine has a lot of nice caches. The Witherle Woods caches are some of my favorites.

Acadia National Park is Maine's only National Park and there are plenty of opportunites, but generally a rather busy place in summer months.

If you're continuing on Route 1, Roque Rocks cache is worth a stop and you'll be rewarded with scenic vistas all the way to the cache. You need to go when the tide is on the low side. This is one of the few 2001 placed caches left in Maine.

From there, you're on you own as that's a far downeast as I've cached. Have fun!:)

Just google mapped to see Route 1 from the top of the state down and I almost think that would be one heck of a fun trip all the way down the coast -- for caches AND for photo opportunities. Pop off in Bar Harbor, Boothbay and we'll have to stop at a couple of other places, too.

Our plans can change and after looking at Maine, I think I want to spend more time in the state. :)

Basically, we have 4 1/2 days of total caching. Give or take. The plan now is to leave New York either Sunday night or Monday early AM. I have to be back to our town by mid-day Friday. Anything in the middle is open game. My one friend has a Verizon and Sprint wireless card setup for his laptop, so we can always change on the fly and go elsewhere.

One of the reasons I'd like to go to Houlton is a quick cross to New Brunswick (and another province to add to the list) and I also like the look of that webcam -- and getting another webcam cache in another state! I'll be hoping to do a bunch of Earthcaches and any other that looks good. I'm sure we'll hit a few park-and-grabs to help boost the numbers for the trip, but we won't shy away from a good cache.

I have looked at and saved a bunch of these you have mentioned. I'll be starting a notebook soon, too, so I can really keep track of things.

Thanks for these suggestions and please feel free to keep them coming -- or any suggestions on how we should tackle the state!

softball29
06-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Welcome to the site!

I think I skipped this part, so I figured I should put this info in.

The route is open for discussion. We might come in via 95, but are more than willing to shift things. Though 95 might be what we need to get to a better "starting" spot.

As for D/T -- average is fine. I don't mind the high-terrain, but we'd rather not have to spend several hours in going after one cache. Being we're going to be traveling a lot of miles in several days, we figure being an average -- with one or two "big hits" sprinkled in would be the best way to go.

Also, those going are all into historic covered bridges and waterfalls, so it's always nice to be able to see those!

softball29
06-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Personally, I don't think there's any reason for doing this. Almost nothing to see between Bangor and the Canadian border (120 miles), and very few nearby geocaches. The very nice Kings Landing Historical Settlement (http://www.kingslanding.nb.ca/) near Fredericton, New Brunswick is definitely worth a visit, though (1 hour beyond the border).

I'd recommend traveling along the coast to the Canadian border. Great scenery, lots of geocaches, and nice towns at the end of the line: Calais in the US, St. Stephen (ChocolateTown Canada) across the border. And you can take the fairly fast Route 9 (2 hours or so) back to Bangor.

And I don't remember if anyone mentioned, but don't forget that you need either a passport or passport card to get back into the US.

Interesting thoughts. Ones we will take into consideration. I did see a few caches that looked interesting on the stretch from 95 to the border, but it definitely seemed sparse. I liked the look of the webcam near the border though.

Our thoughts were also to take the coast trip back down. But I could switch for sure if something looks better. Thanks for the tips!

Team V3
06-15-2009, 01:34 PM
One other area is Fort Williams/Portland Headlight as that has some very nice scenery and some really good caches.

WhereRWe?
06-15-2009, 03:42 PM
One of the reasons I'd like to go to Houlton is a quick cross to New Brunswick (and another province to add to the list)

Keep in mind that after you cross the border at Houlton, there's nothing for the next 10 miles or so. I again emphasize going along the coast to Calais/St. Stephen. Scenery great all along the way, too.

Waterski
06-15-2009, 11:22 PM
You can hit New Brunswick at the Calais crossing and have a nice trip as well. Its a long way to Houlton and you won't get to enjoy the beauty of the coastline.

softball29
06-16-2009, 02:46 AM
We won't miss the coastline. The plan is to go from the top to the bottom on Route 1 down the coastline and hit everything that way, which will basically be the direction we'll need to go.

When we go up, we'll be coming over from the Plattsburgh, NY area (where I'll be meeting someone else). So, coming up, say 95, will be the faster way to get the top -- then we'll follow the coast all the way down.

WhereRWe?
06-16-2009, 07:22 AM
When we go up, we'll be coming over from the Plattsburgh, NY area (where I'll be meeting someone else). So, coming up, say 95, will be the faster way to get the top -- then we'll follow the coast all the way down.

Woah! From Plattsburgh, you're better off crossing Vermont and New Hampshire, and entering Maine via US Route 2. Which route were you planning from Plattsbuirgh??? From Plattsburgh, you should be a long way fom I 95...

:confused::confused:

softball29
06-16-2009, 11:12 AM
The fastest way from Plattsburgh to the top of Maine is to basically take Route 2 through Vermont and New Hampshire and then connect with 95 a bit before Bangor.

Then we'll move up the state and settle in before coming down the coastline. :)

WhereRWe?
06-16-2009, 12:17 PM
The fastest way from Plattsburgh to the top of Maine is to basically take Route 2 through Vermont and New Hampshire and then connect with 95 a bit before Bangor.

Which is what I said... LOL!

So you're only going to be on I95 for about 20 miles. Believe me, that's best! (And you really don't have to get on I95 at all to get to Bangor - stay on route 2. It only takes you 15 minutes or so longer.) :D:D

Trick or Treat
06-16-2009, 12:18 PM
One other area is Fort Williams/Portland Headlight as that has some very nice scenery and some really good caches.

Agreed. Start at Bug Light (Portland Harbor Lighthouse) in South Portland, just over the bridge from Portland with beautiful views of the Portland harbor and skyline.

Five minutes away is the Spring Point Ledge Lighthouse with views of Casco Bay and islands. Both of these lighthouses are accessible by breakwaters, one short, one longer.

Fort Williams / Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth is 5 minutes south on Rt 77 and has been called the most photographed lighthouse in North America. From here you can also see Ram Island Ledge Light.

That's four lighthouses and gorgeous Maine scenery within ten minutes of each other. Just a few minutes further, but also in Cape Elizabeth, is Two Lights State Park. Though they aren't accessible, there is a well known restaurant right there and a cache I haven't been able to find.

Team V3
06-16-2009, 12:28 PM
<GASP> There is one there you have not found? I know we found one there but I am not sure if it is the same one in question. Perhaps, Trick Or Treat and Team V3 need to do some cache tag team action this Summer. I know we have been talking about it, just tell me what weekend you two will be free and maybe we will try to do it. We'll pack a lunch. LOL

Team2hunt
06-16-2009, 12:34 PM
We won't miss the coastline. The plan is to go from the top to the bottom on Route 1 down the coastline and hit everything that way, which will basically be the direction we'll need to go.

Are you taking the ferry from Plattsburgh to Grand Isle? If so, from Burlington you can take 89 south to W.Lebanon NH and 91 to Concord, NH. 393 to 4 east (lots of caches on this route) all the way to Portsmouth, NH and then 95 north across the Maine border. The trip from Burlington will take you about 4 1/2 hours plus any caches you choose to stop for.

softball29
06-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Which is what I said... LOL!

So you're only going to be on I95 for about 20 miles. Believe me, that's best! (And you really don't have to get on I95 at all to get to Bangor - stay on route 2. It only takes you 15 minutes or so longer.) :D:D

I've plotted a little here and see the benefit of Route 2.

We're still planning on going to the top of the state, if not just for that webcam and a full curve down the coast. We have several days, so I'm not too worried about a little extra time! :)

As it stands, it looks like we're thinking of leaving that Sunday (I'll be in Montreal for the weekend, meeting a friend in Plattsburgh and riding with him from there as my other friends head home from Montreal...) and we'll basically go from Plattsburgh to Bangor that day (caching along the way, of course). Stay in Bangor for the night and then head north Monday.

Considering Bangor to Houlton doesn't seem like more than a few-hour drive, we'll head up (cache some along the way), then curve around down the coast. We'll be doing a sunup to sundown sort of day on each day, so we should have plenty of time and light to get a lot of caches and take in scenery.

The side trips, off Route 1, will include Bar Harbor and a few others so we can touch on all of Acadia and get many Earthcaches (I think I found like 20 of them?).

My one hope is that we can somehow stumble across an event of some sort while we're on the trip. It's always fun to meet people while out and about on a caching trip!

Over the next month and a half, I'll be doing some serious planning and look forward to exploring these routes you all have told us to take!

softball29
06-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Agreed. Start at Bug Light (Portland Harbor Lighthouse) in South Portland, just over the bridge from Portland with beautiful views of the Portland harbor and skyline.

Five minutes away is the Spring Point Ledge Lighthouse with views of Casco Bay and islands. Both of these lighthouses are accessible by breakwaters, one short, one longer.

Fort Williams / Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth is 5 minutes south on Rt 77 and has been called the most photographed lighthouse in North America. From here you can also see Ram Island Ledge Light.

That's four lighthouses and gorgeous Maine scenery within ten minutes of each other. Just a few minutes further, but also in Cape Elizabeth, is Two Lights State Park. Though they aren't accessible, there is a well known restaurant right there and a cache I haven't been able to find.

If we're going up to Houlton from Bangor and then coming back down Route 1, when would it be best to see these lighthouses? I love light houses and would love to be able to get up close and get some photographs of them. Also -- do any of them allow you inside or tour?

softball29
06-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Are you taking the ferry from Plattsburgh to Grand Isle? If so, from Burlington you can take 89 south to W.Lebanon NH and 91 to Concord, NH. 393 to 4 east (lots of caches on this route) all the way to Portsmouth, NH and then 95 north across the Maine border. The trip from Burlington will take you about 4 1/2 hours plus any caches you choose to stop for.

That is, indeed, where we'll cross.

I will take a peek at that as well and see which one we like better in regard to caches etc. That Route 2 one has some good-looking caches! :)

softball29
06-16-2009, 01:10 PM
If we're going up to Houlton from Bangor and then coming back down Route 1, when would it be best to see these lighthouses? I love light houses and would love to be able to get up close and get some photographs of them. Also -- do any of them allow you inside or tour?

Scratch that silly question.... :)

I looked at the map and realized where I was. So this would obviously be on our way back down. Hahaha.

WhereRWe?
06-16-2009, 01:46 PM
If we're going up to Houlton from Bangor and then coming back down Route 1, when would it be best to see these lighthouses?

These lighthouses are in the southern part of the state. Unless you want drive among hordes of elderly tourists driving RV's, taking route 1 south of - say Belfast - is not a good idea. ;);)

Trick or Treat
06-16-2009, 04:08 PM

Don't think any offer tours though you can walk right up to all of them except Two Lights. Portland Head Light has a little gift shop right in the former keeper's house.

Trick or Treat
06-16-2009, 04:14 PM
These lighthouses are in the southern part of the state. Unless you want drive among hordes of elderly tourists driving RV's, taking route 1 south of - say Belfast - is not a good idea. ;);)

That's not to say that you can't see the coast, but WhereRWe? is right when he says Route 1 is clogged all summer. The other way around is to take Route 95 and then cut over to the coast to the areas you want to visit.

brdad
06-16-2009, 06:58 PM
If you're coming via Rt 2, there is a neat simple cache in NH just before the border.
Old Man of the Valley Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6167b6f6-c914-4d26-a23f-d8df8db9f268) (GCJ85Q) by Ye Olde Prospector (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=110227) (1.5/1.5)

Have you tried a PQ for caches along a route? It seems like this might be a good trip for that purpose.

I think you should consider West Quoddy Head as well, the easternmost combination Lighthouse/Benchmark in the US. There is a nice cache there and it's a great part of the Maine coast. I just remembered I was the first to log that benchmark. :) There is a visitors center at the lighthouse open from 10AM to 4 PM.
Quoddy Quandry (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ada6f11b-e5b7-42c9-b7b5-c6e6668648ec) (GC8A65) by k1br (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=21444) (1.5/1.5)
Benchmark: PD0694 (http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=PD0694)

I live in Bangor as well as several other cachers who might be willing to meet up with you for a meal if the timing is right.

eebee
06-16-2009, 08:24 PM
didn't intend to post this message

eebee
06-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Instead of crossing the border at Houlton, you could also cross the border to New Brunswick at Lubec, taking you to Campobello Island. You could do this on your way back down Route 1. Campobello has a great many beautiful caches, several interesting earth caches and a lovely lighthouse that you can only walk up to when the tide is out. The New Brunswick countryside at the Houlton border crossing is nice, but I think you might get a lot more from a visit to Campobello, given your limited time.

hollora
06-16-2009, 09:03 PM
eebee - so right but I just got a PM that one of the traveling crew doesn't have a passport so "crossing" won't happen. Plugging Rt. 2 and also Rt.1 or 1A will probably work ok.

softball29
06-17-2009, 12:27 AM

So I assume at some point on my quest of driving down the coast I should get off Route 1 then?? What would be the suggestion to go from that point?

softball29
06-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Don't think any offer tours though you can walk right up to all of them except Two Lights. Portland Head Light has a little gift shop right in the former keeper's house.

Awesome to note. As I said somewhere, in this thread I think, I'll be starting a notebook soon once I have things more solidified. These lighthouses (especially if caches are nearby) will be in there. I'll basically be trying to keep ideas for food spots, caches and good photo opps. Though this will be a caching trip, I imagine it will be four nights of pure fun and excitement. I know one spot I want to eat when in Bar Harbor. Ate there a few years back and it was incredible (Maggies).

softball29
06-17-2009, 12:31 AM
That's not to say that you can't see the coast, but WhereRWe? is right when he says Route 1 is clogged all summer. The other way around is to take Route 95 and then cut over to the coast to the areas you want to visit.

I planned on coming down Route 1 most of the way. Is there a spot where it gets really clogged, or is it all along? I don't mind some traffic as we're going to be just moving along and all. If it got too bad, I'm sure we could re-adjust.

softball29
06-17-2009, 12:44 AM
If you're coming via Rt 2, there is a neat simple cache in NH just before the border.
Old Man of the Valley Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6167b6f6-c914-4d26-a23f-d8df8db9f268) (GCJ85Q) by Ye Olde Prospector (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=110227) (1.5/1.5)

Have you tried a PQ for caches along a route? It seems like this might be a good trip for that purpose.

I think you should consider West Quoddy Head as well, the easternmost combination Lighthouse/Benchmark in the US. There is a nice cache there and it's a great part of the Maine coast. I just remembered I was the first to log that benchmark. :) There is a visitors center at the lighthouse open from 10AM to 4 PM.
Quoddy Quandry (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ada6f11b-e5b7-42c9-b7b5-c6e6668648ec) (GC8A65) by k1br (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=21444) (1.5/1.5)

I live in Bangor as well as several other cachers who might be willing to meet up with you for a meal if the timing is right.

The Quoddy one is now on my list. Those look AWESOME. If I can get 4-5 lighthouses to photograph on this trip I am going to be one happy camper!

As for caches along a route -- I'm not a huge fan of doing that. I like to do it one by one, if only for the reason that I will look at each cache and pick out the ones that look the best as well as make sure we have time to get to where we want etc. I sometimes over plan, which then leads to being late or not finishing what we wanted to do. Considering we'll be trying to see things, take photos, and cache -- it might be a little more tame than I might do if it was a full caching trip!

softball29
06-17-2009, 12:45 AM
Instead of crossing the border at Houlton, you could also cross the border to New Brunswick at Lubec, taking you to Campobello Island. You could do this on your way back down Route 1. Campobello has a great many beautiful caches, several interesting earth caches and a lovely lighthouse that you can only walk up to when the tide is out. The New Brunswick countryside at the Houlton border crossing is nice, but I think you might get a lot more from a visit to Campobello, given your limited time.

As hollara said in another message, we'll not be crossing at all, unfortunately. At least one (if not two) of the others won't have a passport at that point, so getting across won't work well. No biggie... I'll save those parts of Canada for a later time!

brdad
06-17-2009, 06:06 AM
I mentioned the caches along a route only as a means to get a list of what's available, to be narrowed down further. That's easy for the inland part. You'll need the most route editing on the coastal route, a person could easily use up 2 weeks driving the coast. There's a hundred methods, use what work for you.

Another worthy stop on Rt 1 and an Earthcache you may already have on your list is
Halfway between the Equator and the North Pole? (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fdeffaea-0dcc-4ea4-8ac3-b065b1bd2b35) (GC1770E) by Northwoods Explorer (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=381878) (3/1) (You'll have to drive back about 3 miles North to log the Earthcache). The marker at this location is the oldest 45th parallel marker in the US, placed there in 1899 at a cost of $8.00!

What you may not know is that there is a neat store 1/4 mile south of the cache that is a great stop. N 44° 59.8163' W 67° 5.2342'

firefighterjake
06-17-2009, 07:44 AM

+1 on both of these recommendations . . . the Old Man cache and Quoddy Cache are good caches . . . and if you're into earth caches there is a really neat earth cache near the Quoddy Cache that is well worth doing . . . I just can't remember the name of it.

brdad
06-17-2009, 08:01 AM
+1 on both of these recommendations . . . the Old Man cache and Quoddy Cache are good caches . . . and if you're into earth caches there is a really neat earth cache near the Quoddy Cache that is well worth doing . . . I just can't remember the name of it.

Oops, I knew that but it slipped by me. There's actually 2 Earthcaches and two regular caches at Quoddy.

Fundy Tides (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=63b0df25-5359-4c59-8f1d-958d9a883e19) (GC15114) by Northwoods Explorer (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=381878) (3.5/3.5)
West Quoddy Head #1 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8bcfefc6-afec-40dd-bb25-e1f25a679ce5) (GC1FCVT) by Lupine58 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=1216249) (1/1)
Carrying Place Cove Bog (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7d674697-10ea-48d6-8515-d34479e53837) (GC13YZA) by Northwoods Explorer (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=381878) (1.5/3.5)

The bog at Quoddy is a very neat spot, but a bit of a walk. Well worth it if you have the time.

eebee
06-17-2009, 08:29 AM
As hollara said in another message, we'll not be crossing at all, unfortunately. At least one (if not two) of the others won't have a passport at that point, so getting across won't work well. No biggie... I'll save those parts of Canada for a later time!

Yes, the whole passport thing just makes it more difficult, doesn't it? It used to be so easy! Just in case. you do find yourself close to the border and wishing you could cross, it has been on the news here that they aren't denying entry back into the US. They are giving warnings, and saying you "may experience delays" They will be doing this for an indefinite time to come. If you let them know that your passports are still in the application process, they are being lenient. They can't deny you entry into your own country, and Canada won't allow you to stay :) You will have plenty to do and see just staying in Maine, but if you find you do want to make the crossing keep it in mind :)

WhereRWe?
06-17-2009, 09:08 AM
In lieu of a passport or passport card, you can also use an "enhanced drivers license (http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/gc_1197575704846.shtm)".

I note that New York is one of the states issuing them, so you may already have the document you need to get back into the US from Canada. Check your driver's licenses! LOL!

softball29
06-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I mentioned the caches along a route only as a means to get a list of what's available, to be narrowed down further. That's easy for the inland part. You'll need the most route editing on the coastal route, a person could easily use up 2 weeks driving the coast. There's a hundred methods, use what work for you.

Another worthy stop on Rt 1 and an Earthcache you may already have on your list is
Halfway between the Equator and the North Pole? (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fdeffaea-0dcc-4ea4-8ac3-b065b1bd2b35) (GC1770E) by Northwoods Explorer (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=381878) (3/1) (You'll have to drive back about 3 miles North to log the Earthcache). The marker at this location is the oldest 45th parallel marker in the US, placed there in 1899 at a cost of $8.00!

What you may not know is that there is a neat store 1/4 mile south of the cache that is a great stop. N 44° 59.8163' W 67° 5.2342'

More added to my list.

Question -- why would I have to drive 3 miles back to log the Earthcache? Looks like it's right on Route 1? Not seeing anything in the description that says to drive somewhere else?

As for the store... very cool. Name?

brdad
06-17-2009, 12:17 PM
More added to my list.

Question -- why would I have to drive 3 miles back to log the Earthcache? Looks like it's right on Route 1? Not seeing anything in the description that says to drive somewhere else?

As for the store... very cool. Name?

From the cache description:
...Remember this is an earthcache so there is no container just an earth science lesson in an amazing area. To log this cache, you must post a photo of yourself with your GPS showing the stone marker in the background. You must then travel to a second set of coordinates where you will use the information collected to calculate the diameter of the earth. Then Email me through my profile the calculated diameter of the earth. Below are the instructions for calculating the earth’s diameter.
Drive your car to N44 57.198 W67 05.325 and find a location on the side of the road....

I calculated an approximate distance between the posted and the drive to coords, that's where I got 3 miles from.

I think the name of the store is "45th Parallel", or something very close to that. There are two large globes out front by the road.
Google Maps Street view, heading south. (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=perry,+maine&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=2xs5SqXOE8Tktgfh3qjUDA&ll=44.997491,-67.087111&spn=0.009468,0.019312&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=44.997417,-67.08705&panoid=VkOI42LiMma3SSP792PcNw&cbp=12,205.24,,0,-2.82)

softball29
06-17-2009, 12:50 PM
From the cache description:
...Remember this is an earthcache so there is no container just an earth science lesson in an amazing area. To log this cache, you must post a photo of yourself with your GPS showing the stone marker in the background. You must then travel to a second set of coordinates where you will use the information collected to calculate the diameter of the earth. Then Email me through my profile the calculated diameter of the earth. Below are the instructions for calculating the earth’s diameter.
Drive your car to N44 57.198 W67 05.325 and find a location on the side of the road....

I calculated an approximate distance between the posted and the drive to coords, that's where I got 3 miles from.

I think the name of the store is "45th Parallel", or something very close to that. There are two large globes out front by the road.
Google Maps Street view, heading south. (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=perry,+maine&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=2xs5SqXOE8Tktgfh3qjUDA&ll=44.997491,-67.087111&spn=0.009468,0.019312&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=44.997417,-67.08705&panoid=VkOI42LiMma3SSP792PcNw&cbp=12,205.24,,0,-2.82)

I guess I should read closer. Doh!

Three miles isn't too bad though. If it was 20... that might be different. Looks like a cool enough cache though.

And the store is on my list now. Sounds neat.

benandtina
06-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi!

I love lighthouses too. Sorry if some of my suggestions are out of your way... I tried to keep up with all the directions for your planned route but I'm still not extremely familiar with the area so I may have gotten confused.

Fort Point deLight (GC2414) was already mentioned, but I figured I would bring it up again since it is the lighthouse closest to Bangor.

Breakwater Lighthouse (GC1A030) is near Rockland Breakwater. I tried to search for it a couple weeks ago but it was muggled. It looks like the owner has replaced it, though. Near the cache is a short breakwater you can walk across and there are sometimes tours of the lighthouse. We were there on a Saturday and they were allowing people in. The light's calendar is at http://www.rocklandlighthouse.com/calendar.html and it looks like they are having a bunch of "Open House" events. I assume that must have been what was going on when I was there. Owl's Head light is near there and you can also get views of Curtis Island and (I think) Indian Island lighthouses. Let me know if you'd like me to find the exact streets we took to get the offshore views.

This is probably out of your way and there appear to be no caches on the island, but Grindle Point is on Islesboro and is a neat lighthouse to check out. I don't know when they allow people in, but to get to the light you have to walk through a tunnelish thing (it's above ground but feels like a tunnel). It's built on the foundation of the light's original keeper's quarters. Supposedly the lighthouse is haunted and some people have heard a man's voice coming from the tower... but when they go in to the tower no one is there. We did not hear any voices but we have fun anyway :)

This is a bookmark I created of caches near spots that have good views of lighthouses. Some are near the lighthouses and others are along the coast and give a nice view of offshore lights:
http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=23d3872d-8333-4d08-a50f-4ecd0e66bae1

dubord207
06-17-2009, 04:37 PM
I would be remiss if I didn't mention one "other type of Caching" you might want to consider if you're iinto wilderness and numbers. Just north of Old Town, which is just north of Bangor is the small town of Costigan. There is a very well maintained paper company road(the Stud Mill Road) open to the public that runs easterly from Route 2 towards Eastport, Machias and some of the other beautiful coastal towns suggested in this thread. My wife and I went there yesterday, started caching around 10:15 and stopped fairly close to Machias at 5:15. We saw moose, deer, rabbits, turtles, eagles, hawks, turkey buzzards, you name it. We also logged 90 caches. While this is not the type of caching that everybody likes, check the cache density and the route and if you like the looks of it, then have at it! There are a lot of very good suggested caches mentioned by others along the coast all that you will likely enjoy.

softball29
06-19-2009, 01:15 PM
dubord: Thanks for the tip. I checked that out and if I was closer to the area, I'd totally pull that off. Alas, this trip, though there will be numbers, is more about finding the good containers and such. We did a route like that (not quite that many) near us not too long ago. It's actually kind of fun to pull off numbers runs like that at times!

Thanks to everyone for the tips and spots on this thread. I've already started planning and have a bunch of covered bridges, lighthouses and everything else planned in. Of course I'll check my route again at the end of July or so to see if any of the ones I've planned are disabled or if some new ones have showed up and need to be added to the list.

I'm still working on the route -- a little each day. I'm down to the Bar Harbor area. I just hope my "day" is realistic -- in other words, how many and how far we get each day. I hate to think we won't be close to this with how it's planned, but I think if we are on the go by 7-8 a.m. each day and go until a little past dark, we should be OK in early August.

If there are any other ideas and suggestions, keep 'em coming!

softball29
06-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Now, I need an opinion.

I have us getting from Houlton down to Bar Harbor, then around the Island and all. After a night's sleep (From Houlton to Bar Harbor, I've planned as a few days with all the stops we have planned), but the bottom line is when we're off the Island it would be Wednesday night.

So Thursday of our week, I'd have us going down to do a bunch of the Earthcaches near Goose Falls and below. I'm wondering when we come back up to Route 1 around Bucksport and all if that's when we shouldn't start heading more inland, do a few more caches and start the trek home? I remember someone on the thread saying below Belfast could be brutal on Route 1?

When Friday comes, we need to be heading home as I need to be back in Central New York by about 5 p.m. We'll cache some on the way home, but not as much as I've planned through the week.

Any thoughts on when we should break off Route 1 is appreciated. I think we might look to visit LL Bean before heading home Friday, or if we can scratch some things and head there Thursday night (don't they have crazy hours there?).

Thanks in advance!

Ekidokai
06-19-2009, 02:13 PM
24 hours open

WhereRWe?
06-19-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm wondering when we come back up to Route 1 around Bucksport and all if that's when we shouldn't start heading more inland, do a few more caches and start the trek home? I remember someone on the thread saying below Belfast could be brutal on Route 1?

I'd suggest caching down as far as Belfast, and then heading inland on Routes 3/202 (Both good roads) to Augusta and I-95. Then plot your best route to your destination.

(And I've got a feeling you're going to be hitting some wicked traffic back to central New York! LOL!)

Ekidokai
06-19-2009, 09:40 PM
I have to ask the legal types on here and it was brought up a while back. I paid for my birth certificate to be mailed to me because I had to have it for a passport. They sent me the wrong one. This has bothered me a lot since. I had to fill out a lengthy form and they sent the wrong one. Does this happen a lot? With identity theft and all, this really bothers me.

Trick or Treat
06-19-2009, 10:13 PM
I have to ask the legal types on here and it was brought up a while back. I paid for my birth certificate to be mailed to me because I had to have it for a passport. They sent me the wrong one. This has bothered me a lot since. I had to fill out a lengthy form and they sent the wrong one. Does this happen a lot? With identity theft and all, this really bothers me.

Seriously? Who do they say you are?

Ekidokai
06-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Same first and last name. Middle different, but starts with same letter. Birth date one year off, same month and inverted day number. Every thing else way off except the state where born.

brdad
06-20-2009, 12:46 AM
Isn't it ironic you need a birth certificate to get a document as simple as a passport, yet anyone can become president? :p

Oops, back on topic. I haven't done them but there are two caches you might want to consider while on MDI which I have heard people like. Perhaps someone who has done them can explain accessibility by foot.

The Ovens (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=608ef37c-cdcf-4270-9e76-ce03371c6fc7) (GCX2A5) by parmachenee (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=89978) (2/5)
The Ovens–2 if by land, 5 if by sea (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8da7a328-011f-4d57-9784-4561f39dc9ca) (GCZ5JA) by TerryDad2 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=382728) (2/2)

softball29
06-20-2009, 02:20 AM
Isn't it ironic you need a birth certificate to get a document as simple as a passport, yet anyone can become president? :p

Oops, back on topic. I haven't done them but there are two caches you might want to consider while on MDI which I have heard people like. Perhaps someone who has done them can explain accessibility by foot.

The Ovens (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=608ef37c-cdcf-4270-9e76-ce03371c6fc7) (GCX2A5) by parmachenee (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=89978) (2/5)
The Ovens–2 if by land, 5 if by sea (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8da7a328-011f-4d57-9784-4561f39dc9ca) (GCZ5JA) by TerryDad2 (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=382728) (2/2)

Glad you brought these two up. I added those to my list and would really like to know how to access them by foot. Especially the 5-terrain one!

Team V3
06-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Same first and last name. Middle different, but starts with same letter. Birth date one year off, same month and inverted day number. Every thing else way off except the state where born.

Ahhhh, hmmm..... Maybe you are not who you think you are. LOL

Sudonim
06-20-2009, 09:34 AM

If the birthdate makes you younger, I'd hold onto that one instead...:p

Sabby
06-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Getting back on topic. I haven't followed all the thread but I travel from Niskayuna (Schenectady) to either Portland or Waterville often to see the children and grandchildren. I hardly ever take interstate 90 but cut across VT and NH by going to Bennington VT and Keene NH. Then depending on my mood either go to Manchester NH and Portsmouth NH via rt 101 or go to Concord NH and Wells ME via rt 9. While this is shorter by about 60 miles it is a little slower but more scenic and my time is just about the same to Portland. You might want to consider it as a possible route.

WhereRWe?
06-20-2009, 01:24 PM
I think his route TO Maine is established, since he's coming from Plattsburgh. But this sounds like a great suggestion for going back. :D:D

hollora
06-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Glad you brought these two up. I added those to my list and would really like to know how to access them by foot. Especially the 5-terrain one!

Becket and I did both of these in a snow storm shortly after the second one was published (Earthcache). Nothing like walking on a beach at low tide in a snow squall (well light one). There are parking coords for the Earthcache and it will hold 1 car (sort of a pull off on the side of the road) and provide you with an access to the shore (down over what appeared to be a storm drain) - I would call this about 2 1/2 to get down to the water but everyone rates a bit differently (those who cache with me will tell you - I slip and fall).

You must go on an outgoing or low tide and move right along as once high tide comes - well....you know the picture.....no beach. Both of these caches are doable and a reasonable walk down a pebbled to rocky beach. Read the Earthcache page so you know what you need to perform for an exercise to satisfy the Earthcache requirements to log. Get to the area and perform your excercise. parmachenee's cache has spot on coords and should not be a hard find - coming to or going back as I remember it.

This is one of my more memorable caches. :) Also - that parking coordinate helps eleviate boating over. :D

If you have questions - feel free to email me.

Waterski
06-21-2009, 10:02 PM
We also did both of these , on a nice day, no snow squalls. I did not know about the parking, but we found one spot on the curved area of the road, but a big storm drain. There was sort of a path down beside the drain to get down to the beach area. It was a quite a distance to get to the ovens, so don't dally along. Very interesting cache and no problem getting there without a boat on a low tide. I like the Hunter's beach cache down in that area as well.

softball29
06-23-2009, 03:00 AM
It would appear to me that I really need to go through this list again. I have nearly 200 caches on my list, but I don't think it will be possible. And I am not even near Portland and want to do some of the lighthouse caches down there.

Something would seem to tell me that once I get this more organized I might need to show the list to a Maine veteran to tell me ones to cross off or if the list is possible.

It's also being discussed to add an extra day, so that could help, too.

I can't believe I'm planning so much and this trip is like six or seven weeks away!

brdad
06-23-2009, 06:00 AM
We have been in the same situation. It's tough when you want to take the time and enjoy the area you are in and there are so many worthwhile caches. You'll figure it out.

Just to add fuel to the fire, on your trip down Rt 1, if you decide to take a coastal detour through Jonesport via Rt. 187 and it is mealtime, there is a great local eatery named Tall Barneys (http://www.tallbarneys.com/). There are only a few caches along that route, and they probably don't warrant the detour alone, but Jonesport is a great example of Maine fishing town. But it doesn't hurt to add the eatery to your list just in case.

firefighterjake
06-23-2009, 07:33 AM
It would appear to me that I really need to go through this list again. I have nearly 200 caches on my list, but I don't think it will be possible. And I am not even near Portland and want to do some of the lighthouse caches down there.

Something would seem to tell me that once I get this more organized I might need to show the list to a Maine veteran to tell me ones to cross off or if the list is possible.

It's also being discussed to add an extra day, so that could help, too.

I can't believe I'm planning so much and this trip is like six or seven weeks away!

So many caches, so little time . . .

Once you have a rough schedule and list of caches shooting it our way probably wouldn't hurt as folks may be able to suggest other caches that are close and worthwhile . . . or highlight the "must do" caches on your trips.

In regards to the last part . . . part of the fun of a trip is in the planning and anticipation . . . at least it is for me.

benandtina
06-23-2009, 09:06 AM
I believe you mentioned that you were planning to spend a night in Bangor. If so, I recommend checking out the nighttime cache GCYY49. My husband and I did it last week and loved it. It wasn't dark the whole time... we got there at dusk and had some light most of the time before finding the cache. By the time we got to the cache it was completely dark.

softball29
06-23-2009, 12:13 PM
We have been in the same situation. It's tough when you want to take the time and enjoy the area you are in and there are so many worthwhile caches. You'll figure it out.

Just to add fuel to the fire, on your trip down Rt 1, if you decide to take a coastal detour through Jonesport via Rt. 187 and it is mealtime, there is a great local eatery named Tall Barneys (http://www.tallbarneys.com/). There are only a few caches along that route, and they probably don't warrant the detour alone, but Jonesport is a great example of Maine fishing town. But it doesn't hurt to add the eatery to your list just in case.

I will jot that down in the notebook. I have so many things I have been writing down. Eventually I'm going to put all of this together into one Word file, make it a PDF and print it out for everyone that is going so we can all decide which side trips to make. Looks like a good place to eat though!

softball29
06-23-2009, 12:30 PM
So many caches, so little time . . .

Once you have a rough schedule and list of caches shooting it our way probably wouldn't hurt as folks may be able to suggest other caches that are close and worthwhile . . . or highlight the "must do" caches on your trips.

In regards to the last part . . . part of the fun of a trip is in the planning and anticipation . . . at least it is for me.

At this point, I have a rough schedule.

Problem is, once I hit "Thursday," which would be the fifth (and really final full day) of caching and such, I've just been adding cache after cache -- and I'm not even to Portland!

I want to get the lighthouse ones in Portland that someone suggested earlier in this thread for sure. My big thing is that once Friday hits, we have to start working our way home. I just haven't pinned down a time I need to be back here by. Originally I thought five, now it sounds like it could be 7-8, so that leaves options, too.

I've not listed more than 40 caches in a day on this route, figuring some days will be tough to even get that as some will likely be hikes etc. That being said, we're going to be trying to begin each day around 7 a.m., so if it stays light until 8-830 p.m., we should be OK. Mother Nature could also interfere, but at this point, there's no way of planning that!

The basics of the plan (which could change as we might leave a day earlier and come up a slightly different route), but is to make it to Bangor the first night. Day 2 would be heading to the top of the state via 95 (making a few stops on exits and rest areas), do the webcam and nearby covered bridge caches (as well as the others around) in Houlton and starting down Route 1, finally stopping for the night near Robbinston.

Day Three brings us down the coast, mainly staying on Route 1 -- but with sidetrips to Quoddy and the one part of Acadia (Earthcache and virtual). We'll eventually (hopefully anyway) reach the area of Trenton and stay there for the night.

Day Four is to spend all day and such doing the caches around Bar Harbor, Acadia, Mount Desert Island etc. Basically to see that area for the day, before moving on. So we'd likely stay around Trenton again.

Day Five is continuing down the coast. But, out of Trenton and right off 1, I wanted to go down the one side (Blue Hill Falls and Deer Island area) because there are so many Earthcaches, so I have a feeling, trying to topple that island and eventually making our way back up to Bucksport might take the better part of a day.

That's where, sometimes, I over plan. I have a feeling if we trimmed a bunch of caches, we could plan to be further along each day, but I'm not sure. I'm going by basic "travel" mileage, so we'll see how it goes.

All I know is I have to figure a way to plan Portland into the trip. IF we add another day and such, it's possible we might be able to shift a different route which means we could essentially travel UP the coast (and then come back down 95 or, at least, the inland, to head home. Thus, we could essentially start in Portland. But that won't be decided for a few weeks.

My big thing is trying to figure the caches and if it's possible to do how many I planned in a day. With not knowing the true terrain (a 2 to m3 could be a 3 to another etc.) or how people hide 'em etc., could also throw a kink into things.

I do agree on the planning thought though -- it is part of the anticipation etc.

softball29
06-23-2009, 12:31 PM
I believe you mentioned that you were planning to spend a night in Bangor. If so, I recommend checking out the nighttime cache GCYY49. My husband and I did it last week and loved it. It wasn't dark the whole time... we got there at dusk and had some light most of the time before finding the cache. By the time we got to the cache it was completely dark.

Depending how we feel once we hit Bangor, I do have this one hopefully planned in. Night caches are awesome! Thanks!

softball29
06-30-2009, 12:52 AM
Because this "hi there" thread turned into more than that, I figured this would be the one place to come back to...

Anyway, I might be wanting to shift my plans a little. I'm wondering if going across from Bangor (on Route 9) toward the coast isn't better than heading to the top and coming down the coast. Bottom line is we were doing it to do the webcam and the covered bridge cache up there, but it almost seems better to head straight to the coast.

My main goal is to eventually be by Portland by Thursday night (of the week we'll be there) so we can do the lighthouse caches there Friday morning and then head home in plenty of time.

So I come to the wise ones of Maine caching and ask if that is the better plan?

Team2hunt
06-30-2009, 06:27 AM
Because this "hi there" thread turned into more than that, I figured this would be the one place to come back to...

Anyway, I might be wanting to shift my plans a little. I'm wondering if going across from Bangor (on Route 9) toward the coast isn't better than heading to the top and coming down the coast. Bottom line is we were doing it to do the webcam and the covered bridge cache up there, but it almost seems better to head straight to the coast.

My main goal is to eventually be by Portland by Thursday night (of the week we'll be there) so we can do the lighthouse caches there Friday morning and then head home in plenty of time.

So I come to the wise ones of Maine caching and ask if that is the better plan?

Heading across Route 9 will notice that there are a few new caches in the area........like 139 of them. :p You are coming to Maine and it has many beautiful places to visit. Both along the coast and inland. You'll be happy with which ever route you take.:cool:

Ekidokai
06-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Heading across Route 9 will notice that there are a few new caches in the area........like 139 of them. :p You are coming to Maine and it has many beautiful places to visit. Both along the coast and inland. You'll be happy with which ever route you take.:cool:

That's supposed to be a secret. With time constraints that road will be too much. It is really up to what you want. The shorter route my not have the caches you want.

softball29
07-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Well, got some disappointing news.

Two of the three (not me) have a can't-change appointment on Aug. 12, which is the middle of this planned trip, so at this point, it looks like it will have to be canceled for now. We might try and come to the Portland area for a day or two, but after all this research, it looks as though we might have to can most of it.

:(

brdad
07-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Ah, that stinks!

softball29
07-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I'm highly disappointed. I'm trying to see if we can still pull off maybe a couple days or something, but I'm not sure. This might be something to save for the fall or something to see if we can put together 3-4-5 days to be able to at least do the coast part of the trip.

Believe me, I felt as though someone yanked something from me this morning when I was told. :(

softball29
07-28-2009, 01:24 AM
Well, unfortunately, it's official. No Maine the week we were planning. :(

That being said, we're going to see if we can plan a long weekend (of like 4/5 days) sometime in the fall -- that way we get to see the colors and cache. I'll be crossing my fingers!

brdad
07-28-2009, 05:57 AM
Keep us updated, there are still a lot of great caches in the Bangor to Acadia route!

hollora
07-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Oh - and what about the weekend in September of the Get Useless in Eustis Event. An event on a Saturday and a bunch of caches in the area (and close to Canada too if you have your passport), some of the best color in the state, a nice campground (plus motels) in the area.........not the rockbound coast but the mountains of Maine.

So much to see in Maine - so little time!

softball29
08-01-2009, 02:25 AM
Oh - and what about the weekend in September of the Get Useless in Eustis Event. An event on a Saturday and a bunch of caches in the area (and close to Canada too if you have your passport), some of the best color in the state, a nice campground (plus motels) in the area.........not the rockbound coast but the mountains of Maine.

So much to see in Maine - so little time!

I have that written down on my calendar. Not sure of my fall schedule yet with the sports season (I'm a sportswriter), so I'm playing by ear. Just hoping for a long weekend somewhere along the way and, at worst, being able to get to Bar Harbor and do some of those caches on the island and get some good photo ops. I'm crossing my fingers anyway!

Haffy
08-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Just wondering, as a sportswriter, have you ever written an article on geocaching?

softball29
08-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Just wondering, as a sportswriter, have you ever written an article on geocaching?

As a sportswriter, no. I personally don't think geocaching is a sport, rather a hobby.

As a writer? Yes. The newspaper I work for also has a quarterly magazine and I wrote a pretty in-depth piece on geocaching last year. It was a nice one to write as I talked to a couple of people at groundspeak and some others from around the country. It worked well because it was when I was first starting, so it helped me learn some things, too.

Haffy
08-06-2009, 03:18 PM
As a sportswriter, no. I personally don't think geocaching is a sport, rather a hobby.

As a writer? Yes. The newspaper I work for also has a quarterly magazine and I wrote a pretty in-depth piece on geocaching last year. It was a nice one to write as I talked to a couple of people at groundspeak and some others from around the country. It worked well because it was when I was first starting, so it helped me learn some things, too.

Well, would you have a link to article? Don't leave us in limbo like that:D

softball29
08-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Well, would you have a link to article? Don't leave us in limbo like that:D

Unfortunately, the magazine is not online. That being said, when I get back from a weekend trip to Montreal on Sunday, I'll see if I can't find a way to put the PDF of it online and then post the link for it here. :)

Ericles
08-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Sorry to hear your trip was canceled but this thread is still very useful as it has helped me plan my Maine trip for the first week of October. Thanks everyone for the tips! As I come closer to my own trip I'll start a new thread if I have more questions. :)

As an aside, Softball29 and I have crossed geo-paths in New Jersey. I didn't expect to see his name up here too. :D

Haffy
08-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Sorry to hear your trip was canceled but this thread is still very useful as it has helped me plan my Maine trip for the first week of October. Thanks everyone for the tips! As I come closer to my own trip I'll start a new thread if I have more questions. :)

As an aside, Softball29 and I have crossed geo-paths in New Jersey. I didn't expect to see his name up here too. :D

Hey we're just one big happy family here.....:D

firefighterjake
08-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Hey we're just one big happy and demented family here.....:D

I fixed your quote Haffy. :) ;)