View Full Version : When and Why post to a Milestone?

dubord207
06-29-2009, 07:37 PM
So CacheNewbie345 just logged his/her 500th cache. I don't know who this cacher is, most of us don't, but Emsdanel starts a new thread offering his best wishes to the milestone.

So, do you add a congrats, a word of encouragment, an atta boy/girl? Does it matter who this cacher is, or is not? Make any difference if you know the cacher? Maybe 500 isn't a "big enough" milestone....maybe you'll log in at 1000? Sheesh, there's way too many milestone posts, talk to me when it's 5000.

Most milestones generate 10 but usually less the 20 comments. Do you post...when.. if not why? With all the members here I'm a curious about the why's and why nots on this frequent thread.:)

cachecrashers4
06-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Its catch as catch can or whatever that saying is. I don't mean any disrespect when I don't congratulate someone, I just can't get them all.

shuman road searchers
06-29-2009, 07:53 PM
I think it is worth a post to encourage people in the sport to continue to find caches and to perhaps encourage new people into our addiction.New cachers=new caches! We really are a friendly bunch! Are we not?

pm28570
06-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Dan, I think it's appropriate at any milestone and serves multiple purposes. In no particular order:
Recognizes an accomplishment in our activity.
Keeps the forum active.
Everyone is waiting for FirefighterJake to post his first "congrats" post.
Fosters a spirit of community.
Provides an opportunity to Hiram to hijack a thread.
Ya' just feel good when your peers recognize your achievement, big or
small.

When Hollora offered congrats on my 100th, I really felt I was part of the caching community. And for someone who is not numbers motivated, achieving 100 seemed like a very distant destination. My 100 was like a numbers junkie reaching 1000.
I think your comments are valid, as well. As I write this, I have just traveled from the Florida Keys to the Miami area to fly home tomorrow. While in the Keys, I did only 3 caches. I wanted to do more but Key Largo had, essentially, only 2 active caches and 1 disabled/missing. Only 2! Now, in comparison, look how many caches, cachers and activity Maine has, especially in the last 12 months. It's really growing. As such the community has grown resulting in more activity on the forum and more "milestone" posts.
Yeah, sometimes it gets old seeing so many milestone posts......but I sure like asking "which one was your favorite?" and getting an occasional answer. Let's me know which ones to go after!

So CacheNewbie345 just logged his/her 500th cache. I don't know who this cacher is, most of us don't, but Emsdanel starts a new thread offering his best wishes to the milestone.

So, do you add a congrats, a word of encouragment, an atta boy/girl? Does it matter who this cacher is, or is not? Make any difference if you know the cacher? Maybe 500 isn't a "big enough" milestone....maybe you'll log in at 1000? Sheesh, there's way too many milestone posts, talk to me when it's 5000.

Most milestones generate 10 but usually less the 20 comments. Do you post...when.. if not why? With all the members here I'm a curious about the why's and why nots on this frequent thread.:)

firefighterjake
06-30-2009, 07:08 AM
. . . Everyone is waiting for FirefighterJake to post his first "congrats" post.
. . .

Actually I think I once did a congrats post . . . I think it might have been for the first person to complete the DeLorme . . . or maybe it was to TRF for being able to find my caches even with the poor coords I originally posted. ;):D

TRF
06-30-2009, 07:18 AM
Actually I think I once did a congrats post . . . I think it might have been for the first person to complete the DeLorme . . . or maybe it was to TRF for being able to find my caches even with the poor coords I originally posted. ;):D

hahaha. Thanks to FFJ I managed to meet most of the Delorme challenge requirements chasing down a couple of his newly placed caches for FTF. Ironically, after having the coordinates updated by FFJ, those caches proved to be only a few miles from my home. :D:p:D:p I still cringed when I hear of a cache placed with a Magellen :p !!

kayaking loon
06-30-2009, 09:15 AM
I guess I would congratulate newbies at 100 finds to encourage them, especially if it took them a long time to get there. And I would congratulate at 500, 1,000, 2,000 etc. Usually I respond if I know or have at least met the cacher. Other than that, it's up to each cacher what they do on the threads.

Team V3
06-30-2009, 09:57 AM
As someone who does not cache as much as I would like, my numbers have been climbing VERY slowly. Once I hit 100 (after over a year of caching mind you) I am going to be VERY excited. Just thought I would warn you all.

Ekidokai
06-30-2009, 10:14 AM
I don't see why not. It's not really any trouble on my part. Really kind of easy to post or not.

Mainiac1957
06-30-2009, 04:20 PM
As someone who does not cache as much as I would like, my numbers have been climbing VERY slowly. Once I hit 100 (after over a year of caching mind you) I am going to be VERY excited. Just thought I would warn you all.

My first year I only did 35 caches

Hiram357
06-30-2009, 04:51 PM
I like seeing the milestones for other cachers, and it makes me smile to see my milestones posted. If I'm feeling up to it I'll post a response. It's not like it puts anyone out to post something nice. :D

Sabby
06-30-2009, 05:10 PM

Yeah but there were only 25 caches in Maine when you did that. :D :D

Team V3
06-30-2009, 05:13 PM
The rain has been stopping me more than it should be. I should invest in some good Waterproof Hikers and say screw you rain lol

dubord207
06-30-2009, 05:17 PM
That hits the nail on the head IMHO!:)

I like seeing the milestones for other cachers, and it makes me smile to see my milestones posted. If I'm feeling up to it I'll post a response. It's not like it puts anyone out to post something nice. :D

brdad
06-30-2009, 05:50 PM
I couldn't help but think FFJ and myself were two targets of this discussion. I have a few reasons why I don't post much anymore to these threads.

One is that every cache can be a milestone. 100 finds for one person can be less of a milestone than 1 for another. A large percentage of the population can, if inspired to do so, now "easily" get 100+ caches in a day. A percentage of those left might be lucky to be physically able to get one cache a day 50 feet from the street. We all have different abilities and different caching habits. Factor in some cachers don't log online, and you don't know who truly has more finds, ftfs or dnfs. A true milestone requires a standard to go by, of which there are none in caching. And that's the way it should be, IMO.

The other reason, for which I may be wrong or for which I may be over-reacting is that I feel competition on a large scale is not good for Geocaching. I think competition often promotes haste and cheating (Though I do not think we have many, if any, cheaters here locally). However, haste has caused problems locally before - often resulting in trespassing and and/or entering caches by the wrong entrance, driving onto land off limits, and caches being placed with incorrect coords or without permission. So I can't allow myself to promote something I disagree with.

However, if someone finds one of my caches as their first or any milestone, even if it's not a milestone ending in 00, but a personal one, I almost always send that person a personal note congratulating them, especially if they intentionally chose my cache for their milestone. Sometimes I will also congratulate people of their milestones in chat if I feel they are deserving, and on rare occasion by personal email. So, while it does not happen often, don't assume that I haven't recognized someone for their efforts just because I did not do so here.

fins2right
06-30-2009, 06:27 PM

100 seemed to be the key for me. It took me over a year to hit that mark and since then my pace has increased. #100 was really special though.:)

dubord207
06-30-2009, 07:39 PM
This thread is not directed to anybody, brdad and FFJ should not feel this is pointed in any direction....unless this hits a nerve, and if it does then post on my friends.

The post is based on my observation that there are only a handful of the caching community that pay much attention to this site and the posts are really made by 30 or 40 of us. The other members may be just enjoying the commentary, but let's face it...there's only a small segment of the caching community that takes the time to comment here. This thread is directed to that group while others are encouraged to chime in.

So as Hiram said, would it make you feel bad to type the word "congrats" to a milestone? While raising your children, did you find it hard to offer words of encouragment during diaper training, good grades, finishing their peas, or anything that recognizes positive achievement?

That's the point here. If you have the time to post an extensive and helpful disseration on all things technical, why not take a second to recognize the little accomplishments of your fellow cachers? It's not hard and alway positively received. I think it's called "positive reinforcement." So far I haven't heard anything that suggests an honest defense to not posting to milestones.

Thanks to all who have posted to this thread!

pm28570
06-30-2009, 07:50 PM
My remarks were made in jest towards FFJ and Hiram.

I couldn't help but think FFJ and myself were two targets of this discussion.

TRF
06-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Oh, I just like stirring the pot I guess.

Congratulations to the FTF on this cache.

http://www.uninets.net/~maggie/sharedphotos/This_is_caching.jpg

pm28570
06-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for starting it.....nice to see the forums used for the manner in which I think they are intended, that being communication among cachers.

Thanks to all who have posted to this thread!

Haffy
06-30-2009, 07:57 PM
The thing I like the most about this site is the conversations that we have regardless of the content. At least we have conversations unlike the other Maine site where they have nothing. Sorry but couldn't resist.

brdad
06-30-2009, 08:07 PM

No problem. No damaged nerves. I just know both FFJ and myself have been mentioned before when it comes to not posting to these threads. I'm sure there are others, but we both freely admit it.

dubord207
06-30-2009, 08:33 PM
So last weekend Aaron accomplished the following: 1, the Centum Challenge;2, Signs the log on the Maine Delorme Challenge; and 3, The Alpha Numeric Challenge. Anybody who has posted to this thread too "shy" to log a congrats to Aaron on these milestones? C'mon now, it's not hard, won't hurt, Aaron says it will make him feel good... It's spelled: C O N G R A T S. or any derivation that makes people smile!

brdad
06-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Oh, I just like stirring the pot I guess.
Congratulations to the FTF on this cache.

I had a few funny possible FTF logs for that, but I will refrain because I have too much email to reply to as it is.

Are we supposed to know what cache that is?

brdad
06-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Congrats on the Delorme Challenge to Hiram! Maybe the Alphanumeric challenge too. Despite having done some stats for that cache, I have not even looked to see what I would have to do to accomplish it, so I can't make a valid interpretation of it. And I am sure the alphabet is easy for Hiram, he knows it by heart - at least backwards. :D :D :D

dubord207
06-30-2009, 08:47 PM
That's the spirit Dave! Congrats to you too on your thoughtful post!:):)

TRF
06-30-2009, 08:49 PM
:D
I had a few funny possible FTF logs for that, but I will refrain because I have too much email to reply to as it is.

Are we supposed to know what cache that is?

Naaaaaaa, could be anywhere Maine. I will say that zooming out revealed boku caches in close proximity. Therefore I snapped a photo versus embed the link.

I wouldn't put the name of the cache or the ftf'er here. That wouldn't be stirring the pot but rather starting a witch hunt. LOL Besides, whoever set it up enjoyed doing so(or at least I hope) and the individual that ftf'ed it enjoyed beating everyone to the cache. That re-occurring word of enjoy and the associated deriviative keeps popping up. Cache On!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D

Hiram357
06-30-2009, 09:16 PM
And I am sure the alphabet is easy for Hiram, he knows it by heart - at least backwards. :D :D :D

yes dave, I can burp it both ways... :D:D:D:cool:

firefighterjake
07-01-2009, 07:19 AM

. . . and honestly that's the way I took it . . . I didn't figure you for the malicious sort and took it as just being a jest. However, in the future adding a :) or a :D or a ;) often helps clarify your "thoughts." ;):D

firefighterjake
07-01-2009, 07:20 AM
. . .And I am sure the alphabet is easy for Hiram, he knows it by heart - at least backwards. :D :D :D

First line of the day to make me laugh. :D

firefighterjake
07-01-2009, 07:24 AM
I couldn't help but think FFJ and myself were two targets of this discussion. I have a few reasons why I don't post much anymore to these threads.
. . ..

No worries, mon.

It's all good . . . I'm not feeling the pain.

I'm not an anti-congratulatory curmudgeon . . . it's just not my "thing" -- just like I don't tend to do events, dislike micros in the woods for the most part and have never developed a taste for coffee or beer (which is ironic since my good friend Hiram is just the opposite . . . I mean when it comes to liking coffee and beer . . . but just not together . . . at least I'm pretty sure I've never seen him drink coffee/beer . . . vegetarian Guiness on the other hand I have seen him drink. ;):D

And I should add . . . I also have no hurt feelings when folks miss congratulating me on my own milestones . . . it really isn't a big deal for me.

Mapachi
07-01-2009, 08:23 AM
HEY! Congratulations on that achievment! I only did 6........but I didn't start until December 27th! LOL

NativeMainer
07-01-2009, 08:48 AM

Heck, it took me nearly five years to hit 100. Of course, becoming the father of twin girls my first year into geocaching kind of put the kabosh on things for a while. However, it took me only 3-4 months to hit 200.