View Full Version : Problems at Groundspeak?

lexmano
07-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Or is it just me?

I was unable to log on at 3AM this morning. Tried again at 7AM and again at 11:30AM. Is anyone else having trouble and does anyone know when it might be back?

Dfygravity83
07-03-2009, 11:44 AM
I am hving the same troubles. I was hoping to make a day of it today. Hopefully it will be back up and running soon.

kayakerinme
07-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Jeremy has posted via twitter and Facebook that there has been a fire at the building where the servers are housed. The backup generators are in several inches of water. There is no ETA at the moment (11:44am EDT) but it will certainly be hours.

The outage covers gc.com, the forums, waymarking.com, wherigo.com, the WAP site, and the iPhone app - everything gc.com related.

:(

lexmano
07-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks Barry,

Knew it had to be significant, these usually aren't out for extended periods. Glad you had the back channel info sources.

Ed

Trick or Treat
07-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Dawn, Cousin Laura and I are just sitting here wondering what we did before geocaching. What's everyone else going to do today?

Ekidokai
07-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I did all my stuff last night. HA, ha, ha.

If you would like some coordinates let me know. I have all the ones I have not done.

Trick or Treat
07-03-2009, 11:58 AM
I haven't gone out since last Friday when we did the SMR so if Dawn starts going in withdrawals, we're going to have to head back up there because that's all that's on the GPS.

lexmano
07-03-2009, 12:02 PM
I haven't gone out since last Friday when we did the SMR so if Dawn starts going in withdrawals, we're going to have to head back up there because that's all that's on the GPS.

She just goes along on these rides to avoid being left home alone while you feed your addiction!:D

Trick or Treat
07-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Me?!! It is, in fact, the other way around. I am a slave. I'm just the downloader and logger. She makes me do it!

Hiram357
07-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Dawn, Cousin Laura and I are just sitting here wondering what we did before geocaching. What's everyone else going to do today?

ahh life before geocaching, things were simpler then, and they moved just a little bit slower. Days when the wind would blow softly through the trees as a neighbor would walk by and wave... :)

yeah, life before geocaching was pretty lame :D

oh well, I'm goin camping and hoping that I don't drown in the upcoming tsunamis... :rolleyes::D:D

Hiram357
07-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Jeremy has posted via twitter and Facebook that there has been a fire at the building where the servers are housed. The backup generators are in several inches of water. There is no ETA at the moment (11:44am EDT) but it will certainly be hours.

The outage covers gc.com, the forums, waymarking.com, wherigo.com, the WAP site, and the iPhone app - everything gc.com related.

:(

I had nothing to do with it, I have an alibi!! :eek:

kayakerinme
07-03-2009, 01:22 PM
I had nothing to do with it, I have an alibi!! :eek:
Any witnesses to corroborate your alibi? An alibi that cannot be proved is just a story (I think Cannon said that, or maybe Barnaby Jones - I'm showing my age :D )

brdad
07-03-2009, 01:46 PM
No sign of damage to the gc.com machines, electrical is onsite inspecting, and attempting to dry out the electrical switch gear at the Fisher datacenter" no ETA.

It's almost a letdown. I was wondering two things - if they had to start totally from scratch, how many people would re-submit all their caches (would they even know where all of their caches were hidden!)? And secondly, how many cachers would bother to hunt caches if they were not going to be able to gain the numbers from them? :D

hide_from_the_kids
07-03-2009, 03:56 PM
twitter here: http://twitter.com/locuslingua

Waterski
07-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Brdad..If you are compiling numbers, put one down in the column that would continue to cache if they did not compile nunmbers...my numbers are so far behind everyone else's that I try not to think about them.:) Thanks for the info on groundspeak...and now know it is not just our problem...

brdad
07-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Brdad..If you are compiling numbers, put one down in the column that would continue to cache if they did not compile nunmbers...my numbers are so far behind everyone else's that I try not to think about them.:) Thanks for the info on groundspeak...and now know it is not just our problem...

You know how much effort you have put into your numbers and the enjoyment value you got out of that number, that is all that counts!

Jeremy's blog (http://locuslingua.blogspot.com/) was just updated. Still going to be a while until they're online.

Gob-ler
07-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I know what I have, when and all the particulars.

Of course that journal I have been keeping would prove invaluable.

On a different note, you had to wonder when something like this was going to happen.

pm28570
07-03-2009, 06:07 PM
I'd like to think that the drives are backed up offsite as well.

It's almost a letdown. I was wondering two things - if they had to start totally from scratch, how many people would re-submit all their caches (would they even know where all of their caches were hidden!)? And secondly, how many cachers would bother to hunt caches if they were not going to be able to gain the numbers from them? :D

tat
07-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the info!! I was right straight out all day. Every chance I got, I'd just get "couldn't find gc.com". Sounds like they have everything under control.

drwhogrl
07-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Masterson of the Universe and I went to the Stud Mill Road today and found 112 finds. Now we will have to wait to log all those finds... :(

hollora
07-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Our vacation is nearly over and now that I have FREE wifi and am not spending $0.45/minute on line was going to update my cache logs and log today's finds. Wondered what had happened ~ so logged on to GCM ~ and of course, here was the answer.

Have kept a journal of our trip and hope to get it up on this site (or the Geocaching part at least) after we recover from the overnight flight which leaves at 9:30P tomorrow night. Happy 4th to everyone!

WhereRWe?
07-04-2009, 06:18 AM
Our vacation is nearly over and now that I have FREE wifi and am not spending $0.45/minute on line was going to update my cache logs and log today's finds. Wondered what had happened ~ so logged on to GCM ~ and of course, here was the answer.

Have kept a journal of our trip and hope to get it up on this site (or the Geocaching part at least) after we recover from the overnight flight which leaves at 9:30P tomorrow night. Happy 4th to everyone!

Where did you go on vacation??? :D:D

NativeMainer
07-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Bummer. I was planning on grabbing a couple of caches before heading off to work this morning (yes, some of us have to work on the 4th :mad: ). GC site is still down.

brdad
07-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Bummer. I was planning on grabbing a couple of caches before heading off to work this morning (yes, some of us have to work on the 4th :mad: ). GC site is still down.

Check if I am in the chat, I can give you a few cache waypoints/descriptions if you give me a location. The servers have power now, but are not online yet.

scallywags3
07-04-2009, 07:32 AM
This would explain why I was able to open the geocaching.com site early yesterday but couldn't get back to it since.

benandtina
07-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Hi! Just wanted to give everyone a head's up - I just tried and it looks like the site is back up! YAY! Gonna quickly plan some Independence Day caches for Ben and me. Happy caching everyone :)

brdad
07-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Won't be long before the site is back...

EDIT: the site is back too!

On July 2nd, at approximately 11:10 PM Pacific Time (GMT -7), an electrical fire broke out in an electrical room in the garage of Fisher Plaza, the building containing the Internap datacenter and Groundspeak's servers. The building's sprinkler systems were activated and the fire was put out, but both the fire and the water caused significant damage to the building's electrical systems and prevents utility power from being restored to the building.

Fisher Plaza brought in several large generators and has spent the day hooking them up to the building power risers by bypassing the damaged electrical rooms. Power was finally restored to the building at approximately 2:30 AM Pacific Time (GMT -7) on July 4th.

At this time, no Groundspeak servers appear to have been damaged by this incident, but we are currently performing checks on all our servers before we restore our services. I'll post updates here as we get closer to bringing services back online.

NativeMainer
07-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Check if I am in the chat, I can give you a few cache waypoints/descriptions if you give me a location. The servers have power now, but are not online yet.

Thanks for the offer, but I was looking for some caches in the South Portland/Scarborough area. You're up in Bangor, right?

Anyways, it looks like the site is back up. Woo Hoo!!!

Benedicta
07-04-2009, 09:01 AM
I was on the site this morning. Seemed to work fine.

Or is it just me?

I was unable to log on at 3AM this morning. Tried again at 7AM and again at 11:30AM. Is anyone else having trouble and does anyone know when it might be back?

brdad
07-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the offer, but I was looking for some caches in the South Portland/Scarborough area. You're up in Bangor, right?

Yes, but I have every Maine cache loaded in GSAK. But, as you say, the site is back up. Happy hunting!

brdad
07-04-2009, 09:30 AM

Yes, but I have every Maine cache loaded in GSAK. But, as you say, the site is back up. Happy hunting!

Team V3
07-04-2009, 09:45 AM
I got home from work at shortly after 4 AM and it was still down. Went to bed for a few hours. When I woke up it was back on. I must say.... This whole experience shows what kind of worker Jeremy is who not only stayed with it until it was fixed but continued to update people all night. I think it definitely says a lot for Groundspeak as a company too. Yeah they had a setback but they came back from it and so far everything seems fine.

tat
07-04-2009, 09:49 AM
According to Twitter, Elias, a co-founder of Groundspeak, came back from vacation to help get the site back and running.

Let's here it for all the Lacky's who've done so much!!

Haffy
07-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Here is Jeremy's blog that will explain the whole scenario, http://locuslingua.blogspot.com/2009/07/colotastrophe-day-after.html

hollora
07-05-2009, 12:19 AM
According to Twitter, Elias, a co-founder of Groundspeak, came back from vacation to help get the site back and running.

Let's here it for all the Lacky's who've done so much!!

Right on Tat - I think they all did everything they could to get back up and running after a disaster on a holiday weekend. I give them a lot of credit for getting things back up and running so quickly!:):):)

Ekidokai
07-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Go to bed lady.

Mainiac1957
07-05-2009, 06:27 AM
Go to bed lady.

Remember Mike, She's 3 or 4 hours behind us today. At least 3 in Alaska....:D

Ekidokai
07-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Remember Mike, She's 3 or 4 hours behind us today. At least 3 in Alaska....:D

Yeah I know, another failed attempt at being funny.

hollora
07-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Ah ha, but yesterday I was back in Maine after a very looonnggg West Coast to East Coast trip. I don't go to bed easily in my real time so imagine me wired from no real sleep for over 24 hours.

More later on the trip...........