View Full Version : Tell us about yourself

attroll
06-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Lets here a little bit about you and where you’re from.

I will start it out.

I am Attroll on here and that is my geocache name. To break the name down it the first part is abbreviated. It really means Appalachian Trail Troll. Because I am an Appalachian Trail enthusiasts

I was born and raised in Brunswick. I then served 20 years in the US Navy. Then retired to where I live now in Litchfield. I bought my GPS originally for my snowmobiling trips because sometimes it was confusing as to which trail I was suppose to take on the return trip on my excursions up in northern Maine. But one day I was looking at a friends Yahoo profile and they mentioned geocaching. So I asked them what it was. They explained it and sent me to the geocaching web site. So I tried doing one. The first one got me and my family hooked. We have been doing it ever since.

brdad
06-24-2004, 06:35 AM
First off, br stands for brian, and dad, is me, his father. I'm a native Mainer, trained as an electrician but do just about anything for a buck now. I originally got my GPS to make ATV trail maps and to find old foundations and such which were marked on some early 1900's maps I found on the internet. I started caching in June of 2002, and met my geopal MsTeeLee at the first BBQ event and still love it!

Haffy
06-24-2004, 08:07 AM
Well let's see.my last name is Hafenecker and since I was a kid my friends always shortened it up to Haffy, so here I am.I got into geocaching kind of by accident.I was just surfing the net one day and happened upon an article about geocaching and thought to myself that is something I would really enjoy doing. Just getting out and seeing sights that normally I wouldn't have found on my own.I purchased my present GPS'r a Garmin Vista in June of last year and well it's been a year now.I happened to check out geocaching.com's forum and went directly to Clayjar's forum one evening and atarted to talk with but who else.Brdad. Told him I was interested in meeting some people to cache with and he volunteered his services.We met out at the China School Forest cache where he introduced me to this activity and it all began from there. Hey Thanks Brdad.Now I am hooked like all the rest of you Mainacs.

Team Trout
06-24-2004, 09:08 AM
Hi! We're Team Trout. We're a family of geocachers who live in Standish, Maine.

We knew about geocaching for some time, but it wasn't until March of 2003 that we actually gave it a try. We're hooked now (pun fully intended)!

There are 6 of us, my wife and I and our 4 children, plus we try to bring our dog along whenever we can. We have two sons, 9 and 6, and two daughters 3 and almost 1 year.

Geocaching appeals to us for a bunch of reasons, as I 'm sure it does to most everyone else. It gets us out and about as a family exploring parts of the state we would have never seen otherwise. It gives us some exercise, which I sorely need. The kids love the whole treasure hunting aspect of it and they love getting to pick their own trinkets. We get to all spend time together in the great outdoors trying our best to act as a team and work together towards the common goal of finding the cache. The planning and reasearch that goes into a hunt or a hide as well as the use of the internet and the GPS technology, and the map reading, outdoor and survial skills used all have an educational value for the kids.

We had geocached for almost a year before we ever encountered another geocacher on the trail. Since then we have met other geacachers on the hunt 8 or more times. Each time it has been fun swapping tales and comparing notes. With that in mind I though there should be an online forum where Maine gecachers could go. That's why I started the Yahoo group, Geocaching Maine.

Shortly after I did that, I was contacted by Rick, aka attroll, and he explained that unbeknownst to anyone else, he had been working on starting this very website and was on the verge of it being ready for the world when I started the Yahoo group.

And here we are today! :D

Forest_Nymph
06-24-2004, 10:34 AM
My husband and I started caching just last year. Heard about this type of acitivity from his co-worker and checked it out on the web. We've been "addicted" ever since! We get out caching whenever we can.
I/We came across this nickname by using an ancient definition of my name, Sylvia aka silva. Latin for,
the forest; or, forest fairy, or woodland nymph....you get the idea...

My "shadow" and I cache together all the time. He operates the GPS while I get to do the best part...THE HUNT! We both enjoy the outdoors and spend a lot of time hunting, fishing or caching! Our dog, Chance, goes caching with us most of the time. She is a brittany spaniel with lots of energy to spend. We also have inherited an older yet smaller size dog who sometimes needs to be carried on longer hunts. With the tick population as it is, we leave them at home rather than spend endless hours removing ticks later in the day!

In the near future, our first granddaughter will be born! YEAH! We're in hopes we can instill this "addiction" of caching as soon as we can get her up and walking; maybe even get her parents into it too. Our grandson is 5 and lives in Hawaii so we don't get to see him much at all. :(

In the first year of caching, we've only met one other cacher on the trail. At the moment I can't remember their nic...but do remember them being from Belfast. (Will have to look it up later)

Ok,....if you see the shrekmobile (ugly ogre-colored car) BEEP!
We're in it probably geocaching! Hope to see everyone out there on the trails.

Pooh and friends
06-24-2004, 12:28 PM
It all started when I won a safety award at work and used the money to purchase a GPS reciever. I had heard about caching on Bill Greens Maine. As a family, (the wife, 2 kids, 2 goldens and myself) like most anything outdoors. My daughter says I'm Pooh shaped hence the name.

Geomaineiacs
06-24-2004, 06:24 PM
I bought a GPS in the winter of 2003 to use on my boat on the coast--I had taken a navigating course but wanted some backup in heavy fog. Found out about geocaching soon after and love it. My son is interested too, but I am the one with the obsession. I like going to interesting natural places in Maine that I otherwise wouldn't know about. I really enjoy talking to all of you folks on geocaching chat, but admit I have been pitiful about missing the get-togethers. One request, please try out my cache One for the Loafers on Sugarloaf Mountain. TAT did it last fall and a skier from CT did it during the winter, but otherwise it is feeling pretty lonely. Granted, it is a quite a long hike, though it is on ski trails. Thanks for setting up this site!

Geochicks
06-24-2004, 08:20 PM
I (jen) started off in ScottJenColleen, but Scott lost interest and my mom (ann) joined us on a cache hunt and she was HOOKED!! We may not be the best cachers, but we throw a mean BBQ!!

RanMan22
06-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Hey everybody.

First, attroll, thanks for the website. Looks awesome so far....great participation in such a short time!

Anyway.

I started Geocaching in May 2003 after reading an article in an in-flight magazine on my way back from North Carolina. I went out the next day and bought a GPS at Circuit City. Found "The Brady Gang" cache within 30 minutes of plopping the batteries in. Very cool.

I've gotten a few others hooked on the hobby. You know who you are. :)

Thanks again for the website...looking forward to some fun here.

-RanMan22

Tink
06-24-2004, 11:32 PM
Well as my name shows I am the other half of Blazing Trolls. I am not a native Mainer but I'll never live anywhere else this is home now. We got involed in geocaching last year, I for one thinks its a blast. I love the hunt!! We even went geocaching the day after we got married in Apriil !! LOL

Sudonim
06-25-2004, 12:44 AM
I was introduced to geocaching last Christmas. My cousins were in the Boothbay area and took me on some neat caches. I borrowed my Dad's old Garmin GPS 45 and took off running around Bangor. Finally convinced that I would stick with this, I bought an Etrex Vista and haven't looked back :) This is the first exercise that I have found to drag me outside in the winter as well as enjoying Maine's beautiful summers.

WhereRWe?
06-25-2004, 10:03 AM
RULOST2? and I are both retired from the US Army. We're about to give up our day jobs to become full-time geocachers. We frist heard about geocaching last summer when we were vacationing in northern Ontario, and heard a special on it on CBC Radio. We're hooked!

Mainiac1957
06-25-2004, 11:32 AM
This is awesome!!! We really needed this. It was great to meet so many of you at the picnic last weekend. A good time dispite the rain. I live in Brewer and I was born and raised in Maine.I've been caching for a year now, but I havent' hit the hot one hundred like some have in a short period of time (or more). Brdad you know who I mean, right? OK then. Plans are in the works for a September picnic. I will post details here and on geocaching .com in late July. Anyone in the area who feels like pitching in let me know.

tygab
06-26-2004, 12:50 AM
Hello, all! I am (shhh, don't tell anyone!) just an evesdropper from Mass! Actually, I geocache when I can (been a little while since I nabbed one) and met attroll doing a cache up in Maine... we have since been chatting and talking regularly since he and I are both forum techies. I hope to do some really excellent scenic caches up there and learn where the good ones are from you guys. And you're welcome to visit my site too :)

Bluegrass Gyrl
06-27-2004, 08:17 AM
I got started geocaching on 8-31-2003 (Percheron). We were introduced to the sport by mainepod, who is a co-worker with my better half, Motown Dawg. M.D. will occasionally join me on the trail with our sidekick Doogie (a terrier...non-gc name is Alexis). While walking the trail of my first cache I was busy thinking of a GC name. I was born in Kentucky and I do like Bluegrass music...so....(you get the picture).

When not geocaching, I earn a living as an audiologist (hearing spe******t). I work for a private practice in Yarmouth. I also love to cook, read, and knit.

IntotheWoods
06-30-2004, 12:22 AM
I'm very happy to see such a great site for Maine's intrepid geocachers!

I'm a musician and teacher who's been caching since September '02. I was living in Dover, NH when I started and made frequent trips to visit my parents in Damariscotta (midcoast Maine), where thanks to caching I discovered some amazing places. Since then I've placed five caches in the Damariscotta area and will surely place many more. I have now cached in 8 states (NH, ME, MA, NY, NJ, CT, VT, LA) and 9 countries (USA, Mexico, France, Italy, Vatican City, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland) and I am happy to report that my favorite place to cache remains...yup, you guessed it--Maine.

I'm now looking for a music teaching job in the NYC area but will be spending a large part of the summer in Berwick, ME working on "Guys and Dolls," and, of course, chilling with the 'rents. I look forward to doing plenty of Maine caching, and meeting you all one of these days!

--Todd (IntotheWoods) :D

PS: My caching name refers to a show I had just finished working on when I started caching...I thought it was quite fitting for this hobby!

msteelee
06-30-2004, 06:22 AM
Hello, fellow cachers!

I am MsTeeLee of Bangor, Maine. I started caching on May 31, 2003 the day after my friend and co-worker RanMan22 told me about geocaching. One of my sons and his wife went with me on that first day and ever since I have been hunting down those treasures hidden in the woods, up on mountains, bluffs and down by the seashore! I had found about 65 on my own and with various friends before I met brdad at the Geochicks' event cache in Augusta last August. (Thank you, Jen and Ann!) Now, you will most likely find us caching together - unless I have to work and he is anxious to get yet another FTF!

The portablility of geocaching appeals to me, too! I have cached this past year in Texas, Virginia, DC, Florida, Arizona, New Hampshire and Maine! My biggest challenge in caching is not finding the cache - it's staying out of the swamps! Typically, if there is standing water, I don't go around it, I fall into it! The absolute worst was at Homeland (Brewer) where I fell into a sink hole, up to my neck, stingy bitey things in the water - oh, what an adventure that was! I'm a bit more careful now.

It's great having this forum to chat and I really like meeting other cachers on the trail and at events. Keep on caching! :)

_mo_
06-30-2004, 08:21 AM
Name's Mo.

As far as geocaching is concerned, I'm relatively new. Only 10 finds to date, but my first hunt was almost 3 years ago. Had a bad experience (two whining kids) and gave it up until I started again this past spring.

I'm a stay at home dad with three kids - Josie, 6; Jill, 4; and Toby, 2. They usually go with me on our treasure hunts, but sometimes I get to get out by myself. I enjoy both. My wife LeAnn has joined us on a couple as well.

I'm also involved in fourwheeling (Jeeps, not quads) and ham radio.

parmachenee
06-30-2004, 10:03 AM
My first experience with a gpsr was Christmas of 2002. I bought my son a Garmin Vista to use in Alaska. I wanted to make sure everything worked ok before I shipped it out to him so I experimented with it and the Topo software. I learned about geocaching and using the gpsr so I told my wife I just HAD to have one for Christmas. I got one and did two caches on Christmas day all alone. Charron, my wife, went with me on the next one, Squaw Head Cache, and has been hooked ever since. Parmachenee comes from a lake north of Rangeley where we spent many weeks during the summer with our children and my wife's family in a rustic cabin...no running water, no electricity. We all loved it!! They are fond memories we will always have. Geocaching has been a great experience....visiting places we didn't know existed, meeting great people, and staying healthy. We have gone from carrying many papers on our hunts to paperless. We use Earthmate Bluetooth gps with our Zire72 Palm for navigating. The Street Atlas and Cachemate software along with the Mapsource for the Garmin Vista are all fed data by gsak from our computer. I use the Garmin for the actual trekking. Don't you just love these toys!! Of course, we never leave home without our Delorme :D . I have to confess my wife still loves having the paper in her hands so don't be surprised to see her holding some if we run into each other. :) We hope to meet up with many of you on the hunt.

attroll
07-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Being a retired teacher, I have a fetish for spelling...in my post it should be Rangeley. :o
You should be able to see and edit function on your post so that you can go back and edit it.

danosphere
07-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Like Bluegrass Gyrl, I started on 8-31-03 (I am not a stalker, honest! See http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=b1369c13-1714-4314-901e-bc376fa33f81), but my first cache was the Giant Stairs. I was introduced to this obsession by my wife’s cousin (she still hasn’t forgiven him) Eltee1 from NY. I purchased my GPSr (Magellan SportTrak Map from Sports Authority for $99 (half price sale) and I have been trying to maximize my ROI by using it as often as possible! Thanks to Geocaching, I have seen more of Maine in the last nine months than during the 5.5 years I spent here during my first hitch with the Navy.

The G Team
07-03-2004, 11:43 PM
I am a part-time Tech Coordinator for a small private school, and a full time Technology Integration Spe******t for MSAD #49. I also do computer repairs/networking on the side.

The second member of The G Team is my wife, who is an Ed Tech, also at a private school.

Our third member is my 11 year old daughter, who attends the private school we work at.

We are The G Team cause our last name starts with "G", and also I thought that "G" for Geocaching was cool.

I heard about Geocaching from one of my associates who heard about it from some of his ham radio friends (I also have my Tech Plus license--N1UTZ). We first tried it with my ancient Magellan Trailblazer with (very) limited success, and much frustration. The new SporTrack Map was purchased soon thereafter. There is still plenty of frustration, but now I know it is our fault, and not the equipment.

We don't have lots of finds, and to be honest, I don't much care about number of finds for myself. My only use for stats is to congratulate others when they hit nice round numbers. We enjoy the hunt, seeing new places, spending quality family time together, and meeting nice people.

Michael, Lori, and Jen
The G Team

tat
07-05-2004, 08:59 PM
I am a transplant. I came to Maine on a two week bicycling vacation when I was 18. When I got here, it occured to me that I could actually live in "Vacationland" and (execpt for being exiled a few times), have lived here ever since.

I originally purchased a gps about a year after some friends took me mountain biking in Falmouth. We rode for about 2 hours and had a great time. But, a year later, I could not even remember what town we had rode in, let alone where the trail head was. So, I bought a gps, turned it on and kept an instant record of all my travels.

I enjoy taking the path less traveled, wether by bike, foot, ski or boat. Geocaching is the perfect way to find new and interesting places!

Flyfishermanbob
07-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Hello Maine , I have to admit I have an a affinity with Maine ….since the person who got me started on this “Mullarky” comes from here …… and shamed me into registering ( I was a Lurker).. Its great reading the experiences from the other side of the Pond …. Many thanks for allowing me to and thanks for a great site.

FFB

Forest_Nymph
07-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Hello Maine , I have to admit I have an a affinity with Maine ….since the person who got me started on this “Mullarky” comes from here …… and shamed me into registering ( I was a Lurker).. Its great reading the experiences from the other side of the Pond …. Many thanks for allowing me to and thanks for a great site.

FFB
LOL
Welcome Bob, see you finally took my advice...hehe
By the way, haven't seen your TB lately??....
Hope to see your posts here often.

Cache Maine
07-12-2004, 07:24 AM
Hi everybody...

This is Cameo from the Bangor area...I just started caching on June 11, 2004, about a month ago and have had a great time chasing these places down. Usually, I head out with my pal, Bear for cache and benchmark hunts. Thanks to all who put these caches out and maintain them well. A special thank you to Mike from the G Team for letting me know about this website. Hope to see you all on the trail!
Cameoooooo

Cedar Stripper
07-14-2004, 11:40 PM
I just started geocaching and found this site via the Geocaching website forums. We (wife, daughter 9, son 6) live in CT, but will be vacationing in Winter Harbor the second week in August with friends that have family and a couple vacation houses there, so wanted to check out the site in advance of the VACA. Nice job on the site. After reading a lot of the posts, I am really looking forward to doing some caching in Maine.

I do a lot of outdoor stuff and always wanted a GPS but couldn't justify the expense. My wife actually told be about Geocaching this spring and I figured it would be a great way to drag the kids away from the TV and get out doors, and that will be well worth any expense if it works.

I love flyfishing, canoeing (built a cedar strip canoe, hence the name), hiking and camping.

Beach Comber
07-15-2004, 08:19 AM
Where to start.....I am a mother, daughter, sister, wife, friend, geocaching nut, geobud, small-business owner, healthcare worker, and so much more - LOL! I've lived in Maine since a very young age and have left only to attend college and travel for work. I can't imagine living anywhere else! I have always lived on the coast and love to spend time looking for treasures on the beach (thus the name :eek: ). A couple of years ago I started a small business using the treasures that I am finding and am now combing the beaches more than ever. One of my personal goals this year has been to visit beaches that I hadn't been to before or for many years.

I was introduced to geocaching earlier this year by a great friend and have been completely hooked since. I have enjoyed the beauty that lies within our state, met wonderful people, and attended a fantastic geo-barbecue (thanks geochicks!!). I've also been able to combine my new hobby with beach combing and, as a result, have seen even more beaches than I had anticipated. My friends and family think that I am now possessed and have even thrown around the word "cult." Silly them - their loss for not exploring Maine this way!! :p

I begain in March '04 and as of September 25, 2004 I have copnquered 174!

noreasta
07-16-2004, 09:00 PM
I started Geocaching in the spring of 2002. As a ham radio operator, there seemed to be many of my ham friends getting involved in Geocaching. Like most, once i started i was hooked bad. That first summer i attacked it like I had no other hobbie or anything else to do. I covered the whole state of Maine from Kittery to Calais to Moxie falls. It seemed a good combination ( ham radio and geocaching) Like amateur radio i have met so many great folks. I continue to cache hunt when i have time. It is so neat to rediscover the state of Maine over and over and its many hiding places. I live west of Belfast, Maine.( very central to the rest of maine). Other hobbies include hunting,camping, sports in general along with my favorite sport of Volleyball where I have played in a power league over the last 25 years in addition to Instructing an adult Ed Volleyball in the fall in M.S.A.D. 3 school district, as well as being on the school board and chasing my fifteen year old son in his sports seasons, as well as raising my daughter who graduated this year, I stay very busy. I own a family business in Belfast Maine ( 3rd Generation). The fact that I have met so many nice people and visited so many interesting spots, this has made Caching one of my continueing favorite hobbies that i have discovered.

Geochicks
07-17-2004, 09:23 AM
I have enjoyed the beauty that lies within our state, met wonderful people, and attended a fantastic geo-barbecue (thanks geo chicks!!).

**BIG THUMBS UP** Not a problem, seems like all we can do this summer is toss a good (albeit rainy) BBQ.

Tonsil
07-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Hey folks!
Tonsil here from Pittsburgh, PA. While I don't get to spend a lot of time in Maine, I have a sister that lives in Ellsworth with her family, so I make an effort to visit at least once a year. I was just there in June and had the opportunity to meet BrDad. He gave me a quick tour of some fun caches in and around Bangor. I may or may not be back in the coming months as part of a road trip, schedule and money being main factors. I'm joining this group just to keep tabs on the geocaching happenings in the Maine area. Nice site!

Hiker Twins
07-22-2004, 08:18 AM
We bought each of our husbands a gps for Christmas 2002 which they played with for a very short time and then like all kids with to many Christmas toys, just set them aside where they stayed until I saw the August 9, 2003 Lewiston Sun Journal about brdad and geocaching. I emailed the article to my sister and after a few days of trying to figure out how the gps worked we found our first cache, Kineowatha and our first dnf cache, Monument Hill (found it the next day, though!).
We were/are hooked on geocaching! In the year since we have added a couple of new gpsrs. I thought if the Garmin Etrex was great, then the Garmin V would be even better and it's ok, but give me the little Garmin Etrex anyday! You will have to ask my sister about her newest gps... :eek:
Our name, well we love to hike and we are twins, and even if we wanted to leave the "twin thing" behind we have never been able to, so it works! We both work in the medical field, different departments, but the same hospital.
We have been able to get our husbands to cache with us some and of course like all kids, now they want the gps :rolleyes: We have met a few geocachers on the trails and many at the bbq cache event in June and the Super bowl blitz in January. Now we can't wait for the one in Bangor in September!
Cache on.... :)

jdiver3
07-28-2004, 10:39 PM
Hello fellow geo-cachers!

I am amazed at how many names I recognize here, so I just have to tell my story. I am 34 yo from Waterville, living in Westbrook, maine. I started caching the day after christmas 2003. My twin brother bought me a gps as a gift and also to go caching with his father-in-law Sabby. He said it was to learn how to land survey with him. Well, it didn't take long for me to get hooked, I am about to hit my 100 but I want it to be different. I enjoy everything outdoors, Hiking, fly-fishing, canoeing, skiing(water, xc and downhill), hunting, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, scuba diving, you name it if I have not done it I want to. I graduated from waterville high scool in 1987, USM in 1989 and through hiked the appalachian trail in 1990( now then I could have used a gps). I look forward to meeting many of you as I have only met a couple, Doug26, BGgyrl and of course Sabby
May you always know true North
Jdiver3

Cache'n Jacksons
08-01-2004, 09:46 PM
Hello, all!

Just signed up on this site and figured I'd say hello. We're a family of 4 in York County that loves doing things outdoors, although it's getting more difficult as the kids morph into teenagers. I first heard about Geocaching in a January 2003 article in Discover magazine, tried our first cache in March (under snow), and finally succeeded in April. It's been all uphill (and downhill) ever since! ;) So far we've found caches in ME, NH, MA, MD & NC. I like the fact that no matter where we go on vacations or travels, there's always a geocache nearby we can do if we have the time, and they generally take us someplace we would never have been otherwise.

We attended our first geocaching event this spring and really enjoyed meeting some local cachers. We hope to meet more of you at future events!

-=Glen (Cache'n Jacksons)

FFFarmer
08-02-2004, 10:23 PM
I am a full-time FireFighter (FF) and a part-time Farmer. I stumbled onto a Geocaching link while on an ATV Forum. I opened the link typed in my zip code, found that there was about 6 with-in a few miles of me, so the next day We (my wife and 2 teenage girls) took off and found a few. WE WERE HOOKED! I think we have found 17 so far and are planning more when we can get a few extra minutes. I was amazed that a few of them we found we had been with-in feet of before and knew nothing of it. The neatest thing so far is when we left tickets to a baseball game in a Cache with instructions of how to contact me at the game, and sure enough 6seekers met me at the game, that was so neat. We hope to meet other cachers soon.

Game Enthusiasts
08-10-2004, 07:29 PM
Hi,
We are a family of four (mom, dad, and two daughters) from Pittston, ME who are new to geocaching. I first heard about it on the web a year or so ago and thought it sounded cool. :cool: Last winter my dad got a gps and started geocaching. Next my sister got a gps and got hooked. We went on a couple of geocaches with my dad and my sister this spring and I knew it was something I'd love. It took me a little while to decide to spend the money but I very glad I finally did. We've only gone on 3 caches so far. One we didn't find because we kept losing satellite coverage. The tree cover was thick. We were still excited though and we ran out and bought stuff to make two of our own. Now we just need to find some local places to hide our caches. I have one place all picked out but I need to research a couple more before deciding on where to place the second one. I am glad to have found this forum of geocaching Mainers. :0)
Game Enthusiasts:)

pjpreb
08-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Hi! We're pjpreb We're a hubby & wife team who, on a hot tip from msteelee, purchased a GPSr & found our first cache on a 5 minute walk from our camp in Norway, ME. We've been enjoying caching ever since and have seen some amazing sights & places that the average joe wouldn't know about. We really like that this hobby is so portable! Just about any place we go has caches hidden nearby! I don't know if caching makes people nice or if nice people cache. :) It's been great meeting fellow geocachers and hope to meet more of you soon!

Team2hunt
01-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Hi. Were a pair of official Maina's, my navigator age 11 and I age 44. My son came home one day with a fantastic story of hidden treasure. All we needed was a GPS, a what? Well Santa gave him one for xmas, and the rest is history. We really enjoy the oudoors and spending time together. Thanks to all who have made geocaching what it is today. Just plain FUN. Look forward to meeting fellow cachers.

BrownBroME
01-07-2005, 11:26 PM
I live on Long Island, Maine (Portland area). I'm a 26-year old carpenter/husband/father, and an aspiring author/marathoner/AT thru-hiker/adventure racer. My brother and I both recieved GPSrs from our mother this Christmas (2004) and my brother mentioned geocaching. We went online to check it out, and lo-and-behold there were two caches on the small island that I live on. It blew my mind that there were caches on my island and I knew nothing about them nor geocaching in general. I went out Christmas day and found the both of them and now I'm hooked. I can't wait until the snow melts away in the spring and I get off the island to find some more. As for the name, my brother lives in Burlington, VT so I imagine he'll be BrownBroVT shen he begins. Living on an island and having to plan around boat schedules aside I hope to attend a grocaching event sometime and meet some of you.

shewolf7153
01-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Hi, I just started geocaching on Oct 17, 2004 by accident. I happened to be up at the WWII Concentration camp and stumbled upon Team NAB. They were kind enough to explain to me about caching. I signed my first cache there. I AM HOOKED.
I immediately went out and bought a Garmin etrex Vista. It works quite well. I have since shown 2 friends about it. They have started caching too. I live in Skowhegan so I was able to find alot to start with. When I am not geocaching my hobby is horses. Hope to meet all you geocaches soon....:D

WhereRWe?
01-08-2005, 08:21 AM
A reminder to the newcomers: don't forget the Winslow Winter Weekend Waypoint Warrior Wingding on Jan 22. It will be a great change to meet other Maine geocachers and ask lots of questions.

Here's a link to the listing:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=79bdde13-99ee-481d-9f76-dfc5c2e4d15f

d’76
01-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Hi, my name is Dave and was born in 1976, yes I to am an addict, Recently started doing this because I love every part of the outdoors. I recently Hung up my camera and my Hunting rifle and picked up a gps. I love it, can't get enough of it. My girlfriend other wise known as "Girlmate" is hooked as well. Lucky for her, or our weekends would be spent in different places. We have spent most of our time looking in the snow because of the timing. We have found around 20 sofar.

Anyway, I work in a school in central Maine where the kids can't handle main stream schooling, for a variety of reasons (i won't bore you with the details).

I had an etraxs and it was ok but was not good for caching so I bought a Garmin 60c in november for a birthday present for myself. I love it! I use it for everything. It makes everything so much easier.

Haffy
01-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Hey Dave welcome,the thing that I have ejoyed while caching is taking photos of all the interesting places that I have visited. Check out the members galleries and you'll see what I mean. Looking forward to seeing some of your own photos in here too. Aren't you glad I told you about this site?

tat
01-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Hope you can make it to the Winslow event!

we3beans
01-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Hi there,
Well Cameoooooo is the one who finally talked us into joining the group so first off thanks to her. And second it has been great to meet so many nice people geocaching. We've only run into one person who was out geocaching same time as us and that was just last week. We enjoyed the picnic last fall and I wear my doorprize regularly.

How it all began....

On a family vacation to Flordia (14 adults, 3 bathrooms...yikes!) my Uncle David (Senior Dave) took Wudeater (John) out on a geocache. John comes back with his ususual nonchallent "yeah, it was ok". Then Senior Dave came to Maine for a weekend and they did a couple more (see Island of the Giants log from July 2004 which he logged after we'd done a few). So finally John says he'd like to do some more but really he could use the GPS for our travelling, he could find all the rest stops with "the machine"! The rest they say is history. My brother and his wife are now geocachers in Conn. (Nushiekitty).

John's nickname is Wudeater 'cuz his next favorite toy (after the GPS) is a chainsaw and that's good news because we live in the wilds of Dedham. He's orginally from Western Maine and I'm "from away", but don't tell anyone.

When you run into us sometime, ask us to tell you the story of the day we saw 2 "full moons" out geocaching.

John and Diana
Wudeater and Wife

Cache Maine
01-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Hi there,
Well Cameoooooo is the one who finally talked us into joining the group so first off thanks to her. And second it has been great to meet so many nice people geocaching. We've only run into one person who was out geocaching same time as us and that was just last week. We enjoyed the picnic last fall and I wear my doorprize regularly.

When you run into us sometime, ask us to tell you the story of the day we saw 2 "full moons" out geocaching.

John and Diana
Wudeater and Wife
Welcome to the group guys, it's about time you signed up! :)

I have heard the 2 "full moon" story and it's a good one!

WhereRWe?
01-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Welcome to the group guys, it's about time you signed up! :)

I have heard the 2 "full moon" story and it's a good one!

Woah! Tell the rest of us! :o

mainemuel
03-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Hi all, got to this site from the forums on geacashing.com. This is kind of funny, I dont have any "finds" yet only because of living in the area for years i found the caches without any gps, (did not want to log em without the fun of doing the hunt) got one for xmas and i am learning how it works when time permits. Love this game, its great seeing where peaple will go to find treasure. I am a Berwick resident who comes from the true central maine. Stats---45 yrs, Old Town high 78, EMVTI grad, married with a 14 yr son and a foster parent.I think I am going to make a multi that will make finding me fun, Solve the Name, and there is only one of me. Then the FTF is a night out with us. I cant explain my handle yet you might know me! I will need to do some driving to get all the co ords. So i hope to be a participent in some fun times. Work gives me very little time but i love this already.

mainemuel
03-04-2005, 12:17 AM
I should add that I have never run into anybody that has the same name as me.
"only one of me" and that I first got turned onto geocashing when i read an article in the local paper last fall about peaple out hunting for hidden treaure.

WhereRWe?
03-04-2005, 08:20 AM
What paper was that? If it's available online, I'd like to add it to the links section under "Maine Geocaching in the news". :D

brdad
03-04-2005, 09:48 AM
I forgot we had that news section, and I just figured out wherethey moved mine to the other day...

Cache Maine
03-04-2005, 09:50 AM
It's nice to have you join us on this site. Just beware this game is very addictive and work will soon take a backseat!!! ;) Hope to meet you soon on the trail or at an event.

Welcome!

mainemuel
03-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks and the local here is the Fosters Daily Democrat

Being on the NH border its as close to local as it gets. Heres the link.

http://premium1.fosters.com/2004/news/october2004/10.16.04/news/ro1016a.asp

drbugman
03-07-2005, 05:36 PM
It's great to put some stories behind some of the names that I see in the log books.
I'm a 37 year assistant prof here at UMaine in Orono and have been here for 3 years. As an entomologist/ pest management spe******t in Cooperative Extension, I serve the greenhouse industry and handle homeowner pest (mostly outdoor) problems. Some of the big topics around the state include the Japanese beetle (the new state bird), the viburnum leaf beetle, lily leaf beetle, aphids, etc... If anyone wants any info, drop me a line.
Some friends up near Moosehead Lake got me started in geocaching in the summer and I got my GPS in late August. Because of it, I've been able see some truly incredible parts of the state that I wouldn't have otherwise. It's definitely made these winters easier; I wish I'd discovered it earlier.
I'm getting ready to bug out of Maine in early April and return to my native Maryland but hope to get a few more caches in between the chaos of packing. Take it easy!

Regards,
Colin

Sudonim
03-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Colin,
Is there anyway to teach the mosquitoes to attack the Japanese Beetles instead of us? ;)

WhereRWe?
03-08-2005, 08:34 AM
I'll trade you 2 dozen Ladybugs (they're small) for a Japanese Beetle. Those I can trap - and they don't smell as bad as the Ladybugs! :D

Had one land in my ear in the middle of the night last night. Sheesh! :eek:

drbugman
03-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Colin,
Is there anyway to teach the mosquitoes to attack the Japanese Beetles instead of us? ;)
I've tried that and failed. I wish I could donate a pint of blood directly to the mosquitoes and black flies (yes I know negotiating with terrorists is wrong) in exchange for being left alone...
The following description is not for the squeamish. There's already a fly that's wreaking havoc with the Japanese beetle. I did a TV interview on it. It's called the "winsome fly." Eggs are laid on the back of the Japanese beetle: http://bugguide.net/node/view/5387/bgpage. The eggs hatch, and the larvae burrow into the flight muscles of the beetle. The fly larva causes the beetle to dig into the ground as it is being eaten (like something out of the movie Alien) after around 6 days. The fly then spends the rest of the season (until the non-attacked beetles emerge in July) eating and growing inside the dead beetle's body, emerging in July. It's not available commercially. The fly was introduced by the USDA and has been spreading north. The biology of the fly (timing of emergence) is PERFECT for Maine (down South it emerges too early to have much of an impact on the populations.) We saw huge numbers of zapped beetles in Orono and Southward; the previous year they were in Portland. Anyway. It's tough for me to have sympathy for the Japanese beetle...

Colin

d’76
03-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Hi my name is Dave and I to am a Geocaching addict.

I live in Old Town and work at a local school that is for kids who can't handle mainstream schooling. I have always loved the outdoors and know this just makes for one more excuse to be in the woods.

I love atv trail riding, geocaching(duh), hiking and snowshoeing. I have a garmin 60 C that does most of the work for me. Nice peice of equipment. I spend more time outdoors than indoors.

My girlfriend (girlmate) is usually in the woods with me. She loves it as much as I do. I would be interested in meeting some other fellow cachers but I'm to stupid to get the dates right for the event caches.

I am a native Mainer and have been other places but always glad to get home.

Dave is my name and 1976 was the year that I was born. Not real original is it. but it's easy to remember and not hard to spell

Glad to be aboard.

Dave

CENT5
03-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Hey guy's I'm not from Maine. (Please don't shoot I'm really a nice guy.) I am new to the sport (addiction) and bumped into your forum whilst searching for geocoins. (My daughter is collecting.) Liked what I read and signed up.

I tried to join the chat tonight but it seems my companies firewall prevents that from happening. (Wadda ya mean I can't tell people how to fix airplanes and chat at the same time? IT'S CALLED MULTI-TASKING.)

Anyhow. I am a transplanted Minnesotan working for Alaska Airlines the past 20 years in Seattle WA. I fish, hunt, generally enjoy anything outdoors. Working for Alaska Airlines has definitely spoiled me for the fishing at least. Still only hunted up there 1 time on Kodiak Island. Bout killed me.

I bumped into Geocaching while surfing at work on a slow day in mid January. Did a search and had 320+ caches within 10 miles of my house. I had an Etrex Yellow I used for hunting so I loaded it up and gave it a shot. Well I swallered that hook. Learned more about that GPS in the 1st 3 days than I had in the past 2 years. Two months later I'm into a Garmin GPSMAP76CS and I've got cache building stuff all over my already hard to find workbench. My wife thinks I've gone over the edge comparing it to my Duck Hunting addiction. My kids think it's awesome and I've lost 5 lbs finding and preping to place caches. And my 9 year old LAB thinks hunting season never ended.

This is probably too long but I never was able to quit talking once started. (Especially with a beer in hand.) Hope to bump inot you all in chat some time.

CENT5

Team2hunt
03-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Welcome to Maine site. We have just started working on a coin. Thanks for the interest. ( mmmmmm beer);)

lefty
03-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Hi, I new to caching and live in midcoast. I am a transplant of 25 years. Anyway hello everyone.

Mainiac1957
03-25-2005, 07:55 AM
More the merrier I say. Hope to meet you at one of this year events. Have fun and stay safe.

lefty
03-29-2005, 07:37 PM
More the merrier I say. Hope to meet you at one of this year events. Have fun and stay safe. I cant tell exactly by the pic, is that a blond Cairn or a Westy. I know it has to be a terrier. I have a Cairn. My money is on Cairn.

Mainiac1957
03-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Is my 2.5 year old Silky Terrier. All 10 pounds of him.

lefty
03-30-2005, 05:12 AM
Is my 2.5 year old Silky Terrier. All 10 pounds of him.OK I can see it now. Terriers are the best.

Diggler
03-31-2005, 11:21 PM
Well hello all cachers, I had sort of fallen off the caching map around here lately, but after posting some notes recently about my intentions to do some cache maintenance on my cahces I got an invite to this here forum from cameoooooo and decided to go all-in. I'll be doing all of the maintenance in April, so my caches will be ready to go for the entire summer. My Geocaching.com user profile is here (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=8b206567-07de-4fde-9536-be3d508262d9). Once I get all of my updating work done on my existing caches, I think I'll plant 2 more, but only of the most sickest sort in terms of adventure. I'm not much for the family-picnic sort of caches, although I suppose I've placed a couple. I never go looking for caches, and I only really find it interesting to place caches and follow along the logs as people discover them and their reactions to them. I like to put worth-while items in my caches so people know that they can be in for something decent, and not just a bunch of "moose keychains" or something like that. I did have a travelbug, or I still do I guess, his name is Flatty jr. (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=7065) , but the user AnXPreacherKid (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=962993b0-d28d-4d8f-adb2-4768ced2b18f) has not done a thing with him for a long while, and I now fear for Flatty jr.'s safety. I'll probably start a "Flatty jr. 2" travelbug when I re-up one of my caches. I hope you all try out my northern-Maine caches more, they don't get much action. "The Wigazee" (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7d2365f6-4dbc-48aa-a674-b7cccc5cd984) among others are well worth it.

Cache Maine
04-01-2005, 08:19 AM
I got an invite to this here forum from cameoooooo and decided to go all-in. I'll be doing all of the maintenance in April, so my caches will be ready to go for the entire summer.
Welcome Diggler...glad to see you join us here at geocachingmaine.org. Your name comes up once a while when talking about caches here in Maine. We were all kinda wondering if you would be back, and your cache locations are destined to give some of us the cache hunts of our lives. Look forward to the adventure!

becket
04-06-2005, 06:51 AM
back in 1998, i had a subscription to smithsonian magazine and read the article about letterboxing in england i made all my friends read the article and kept telling them that i had to go to england and find some of the letterboxes as someone who was barely making it paycheck to paycheck, i knew that wasn't going to happen any time soon in july last summer, a maine guide friend of mine forwarded an email to me from craig brook hatchery in orland they were doing a geocaching seminar crimson crow, rickedie and i went i bought a magellan meridian gold and went to the seminar i am now addicted it's strange, because i am so not an outdoors person i'm a bookworm i just love doing this i also have found some letterboxes along the way it's just so cool

lefty
04-06-2005, 06:58 AM
Welcome Becket.:D I'm new too.

WhereRWe?
04-06-2005, 07:53 AM
It's funny how some of us "stumble into" geocaching.

RULOST2? and I were vacationing in Ontario a couple of years, and heard an hour-long feature on Geocaching. We'd never even heard of it before. But we were fascinated, rushed right out and got a GPSr, and now we're hooked!

:D

we3beans
04-06-2005, 12:30 PM
I can attest to Beckets addiction....I seem to follow her around on a regular basis! Glad to hear you and Diggler have joined the group and looking forward to catching up with you both soon.

d’76
04-06-2005, 12:39 PM
I can't wait to see you folks at the event cache.

I also am looking forward to caching up with you guys

becket
04-07-2005, 06:38 AM
i remember the day on mt desert that we were following each other around, wudeater & wife! another day, crimson crow and i were following drbugman around. i am really looking forward to meeting everyone. (guess i'll start using punctuation, too, to make reading my posts easier. the spaces seem to disappear. can't do the cap letters, though!)

Maine Patriot Man
04-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Hello, All!!

I've been geocaching for a little while now and finally got my own GPSr so I could officially say I found the caches and not let someone else get the credit! It's a blast and I've succeeded in hooking my girlfriend and our kids on it as well! I got the GPSr for my birthday back in October 2004 and didn't get out as much as I would have liked, but the weather has been so darn nice lately that I and my crew all find ourselves saying that we have to get out and do some geocaching! I look forward to seeing you all on the trails somewhere. I'll probably have quite a crew behind me and I'll be holding my ETrex and scratching my head...while they find the cache, of course!

gpsxplr
05-13-2005, 08:07 AM
Hi,

I just got started with geocaching and kind of just stubled across it. It looked like a lot of fun. So I purchased a garmin 60cs, which I like to call "little garmy", I also have a Street pilot III gps ("garmy") very handy. I have a vanity plate "geohike", tried to get geohike on geocaching.com but it was already taken to geohikemaine sound good. I like hiking and geocaching so geohike seemed perfect.

I am really enjoying geocaching. I love to explore and to hike and this is turning out to be a lot of fun. I am looking forward to many years of fun.

About me. I was born in California and grew up in Oregon and Montana. Went to college in Montana and have a M.S in Computer Science. From there I got a job with the U.S. Forest Service where I have been every since. I moved out here with my girlfriend and have lived in berwick about 3 years.

Most memorable trips: Yellowstone NP, Zion NP, Grand Canyon, Pink Jeep tours sedona, AZ. I haven't done much exploring around here but hope to get in a lot of adventures with geocaching.

It took me a while to get used to changing from MT to Maine but I am really starting to like it here.

I will be at the CITO event on the 21st.

Kirk (geohikemaine)

Mainiac1957
05-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Kirk, Let me be the first to say welcome. Glad to see you'll be at the CITO next weekend. I hope to have a bunch of last minute signers and make it a really good turnout for the Geocaching community. Enjoy your caching and hiking in Maine. "The way caching should be" (shameless plug) :D

WhereRWe?
05-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Welcome, Kirk!

Sheesh! After caching in the mountains of the west, these "hills" in Maine must all seem like 1/1 difficulty/terrain to you! LOL!

gpsxplr
05-13-2005, 06:26 PM
I Wish I had discovered caching when I lived out west, think of all the fun I missed, but that was back when caching was just starting 2000-2001 so perhaps there weren't that many? I just started caching about 3-4 weeks ago, so I am really really new. I do go back out west for family visits once a year, I might just stop by Utah on the way to MT and get in some caching, just love those canyons in S. Utah.

Looking forward to caching adventures around here, did some caching/hiking over in NH a few weeks ago. Think I will do some caching up north in Maine a bit this weekend, perhaps the White Mountains somewhere if the weather permits.

See you at the CITO event.

Kirk.

tat
05-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Kirk,

I have a lot of relatives in Bozeman. Hope to trade some stories at the CITO event.

gpsxplr
05-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Actually I am from Missoula, lived there about 18 years.
Been to bozeman a couple of times, Museum of the rockies, and the lewis
and clark caverns to the nw (very cool).

Kirk.

mainesurveyor
05-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Hello folks. My name is Mike Kutz and as my login says, I'm a Maine Land Surveyor, I live in South Lagrange, and I work out of Bangor. I ran across the word geocaching a few weeks ago (racked my brain but can't remember where) and started doing a little browsing on the web. Geocaching seems to blend many of the things I enjoy, the outdoors, technology, mental challenges, into one pursuit.

As a land surveyor I hunt for 'caches' every day while I read deed descriptions and try to find where property owners have 'hidden' their property monuments (buried iron pins, stones, rotted-away wood posts, etc.) and I regularly search for 'benchmarks' to use for survey control, although that term is a misnomer (the geocaching.com site has an excellent article about the different survey control stations).

I already own an Etrex Vista which I picked up before I shipped out to Iraq (133d Engineer Bn (Maine) 12/2003 - 03/2005). At work I use GPS equipment (survey grade, centimeter level positions) so I understand the theory of GPS.

Geocaching seems like a great way to have fun, see some a the out-of-the-way places in Maine, a pick up a bit of history (I really enjoyed the link to the article about the abandoned logging trains in Northern Maine) at the same time and I hope to log my first cache in the next week or so. I'll probably start working my way out from my home and then spread out. I've told my children that I'm going to hide their allowances out back in the woods behind my place and give them coordinates to it. My first hidden caches!.

I apologize now for the stilted feeling in this post but quite honestly I'm not one to talk much about myself. ATtroll, this is a smooth running, well organized site. To the rest of the group, I've learned a lot about you all by reading all the posts over the last couple weeks. I'll offer my two cents worth as I can.

Thanks again and hope to talk with y'all soon.

--Mike.

Haffy
05-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Hey Mike.glad to have you aboard. Speaking for myself I just wanted to say thank you for the sacrifice you have made for us in the US military and glad that you are now home safe and sound with your family . We have a pretty eclectic bunch of members here from all walks of life in Maine but we all have one thing in common and that is the joy of getting outside and visiting many places that were it not for geocaching we wouldn't have found otherwise. Hope to see you on the trail in the near future and we are here for you if need be, Happy Caching Haffy6 John Hafenecker

loonylady
05-28-2005, 07:39 PM
welcome mainesurveyor and thank you for your time in Iraq.
hey hiding allowances what a cool idea!! well enjoy your time at home wth your family and geocaching

WhereRWe?
05-29-2005, 08:05 AM
Welcome MaineSurveyor, and we add out thanks for your service.

There are several retired military in the group - Me, RULOST2?, and Ye Old Prospector to name some known ones - and none know better than us what sacrifices you make to serve your country.

Thanks. And we hope to see you on the trails... :D

Sinster
05-31-2005, 01:45 PM
Hello,

I'm a Mainer (Gardiner/Topsham) Living in exile in M*******chusetts :) I'm a Aircraft Mechanic here in Plymouth, MA.. I recently got into Geocaching and when I go back home to visit in the summer I will do some Geocaching.

lefty
05-31-2005, 02:02 PM
Hello,

I'm an Mainer (Gardiner/Topsham) Living in exile in M*******chusetts :) I'm a Aircraft Mechanic here in Plymouth, MA.. I recently got into Geocaching and when I go back home to visit in the summer I will do some Geocaching.
Welcome:cool:

fabulous45s
06-04-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm getting ready to head out on my first cache. We moved out to Brunswick from Texas last year. I work over at the Navy survival school, so my GPS already gets a pretty good workout. This is a great way for the wife, dog, and myself to get out and about and meet some folks. See y'all on the trail!

Did someone say BBQ?

attroll
06-05-2005, 12:43 AM
fabulous45s

Welcome aboard. Yes we did mention BBQ. We hope to see you at the event cache on the 18th.

Sinster
06-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Did someone say BBQ? The BBQ in Maine doesn't compare to the BBQ in Texas :) Maine doesn't have Mesquite...

BTW I've lived in San Antonio for 4 yrs and own a home in Austin.

Is that June 18th or July 18th? It will be sweet if its July 18th because that is the weekend I will be back home. June 18th I will be in Texas.

attroll
06-05-2005, 11:31 AM
The BBQ in Maine doesn't compare to the BBQ in Texas :) Maine doesn't have Mesquite...

BTW I've lived in San Antonio for 4 yrs and own a home in Austin.
It's not about the BBQ. It's about getting together with good people and friends and have a good time.

WhereRWe?
06-05-2005, 01:12 PM
The BBQ in Maine doesn't compare to the BBQ in Texas :) Maine doesn't have Mesquite...

Sheesh! This is 2005. We don't have to go to Texas to get mesquite. We just go to WALMART! LOL! :p

Sinster
06-05-2005, 05:47 PM
It's not about the BBQ. It's about getting together with good people and friends and have a good time. I know that.. just messing around....

True about Wal Mart though.. thats where I get mine :)

Hiker Twins
06-07-2005, 08:10 AM
Hey Mike.glad to have you aboard. Speaking for myself I just wanted to say thank you for the sacrifice you have made for us in the US military and glad that you are now home safe and sound with your family . Haffy6 John Hafenecker

Haffy said it right, thanks for the sacrifice you and your family made for us! We are glad that you are home!

Tyler Bickford (ty.den) is in Iraq and we are praying for his safe return home, sometime next year.

WhereRWe?
06-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Haffy said it right, thanks for the sacrifice you and your family made for us! We are glad that you are home!

Tyler Bickford (ty.den) is in Iraq and we are praying for his safe return home, sometime next year.

And I see that there are 29 geocaches in Iraq, along with several TB's and even a YJTB!

Hopefully he'll have all of them when he gets back. :D

brdad
06-07-2005, 12:52 PM
And I see that there are 29 geocaches in Iraq, along with several TB's and even a YJTB!

Hopefully he'll have all of them when he gets back. :D

That's a good sign! I remember when the war started, there was only one cache in Iraq. It was rated fairly high because it was illegal to have a GPS there, and because of the red tape of getting to the location to begin with. Geocaching.com disabled it the day the war started. If the number of geocache approvals can be used as any indication of safety in the area, then things must be looking up.

WhereRWe?
06-07-2005, 06:39 PM
That's a good sign! I remember when the war started, there was only one cache in Iraq. It was rated fairly high because it was illegal to have a GPS there, and because of the red tape of getting to the location to begin with. Geocaching.com disabled it the day the war started. If the number of geocache approvals can be used as any indication of safety in the area, then things must be looking up.

I hope you're right, but I note that there are still only 7 geocaches in Afghanistan! :eek:

TwoMaineiacs
06-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Welcome to Maine and no, those giant flying things aren't birds, they are mosquitos. There are some fun geocaches right in Brunswick and a ton of them down on both the Phippsburg and Georgetown peninsulas. We're newish so haven't done all of them yet but have them printed off. No paperless for us - yet.

As an old southerner originally from Virginia, I've mourned the lack of good BBQ in Maine for years. Always bring pounds back after visiting the VA family. At last we have a new place called "Buck's Bare Naked BBQ" in Freeport on Route 1 across from the Big Freeport Indian. Worth the small drive down. Try the brisket.

Happy geoing in a gorgeous state.

Anne

WhereRWe?
06-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Beal Street BBQ in downtown Augusta isn't too bad either. But having lived in North Carolina for 5 years, I also know what good BBQ is, and admit it is pretty hard to find in this area.

And speaking of Texas, I lived there years ago, and remember one time when a local guy invited a bunch of us over to his farm for a venison BBQ. When we got there, he announced that they were out of venison so we were having goat.

Sheesh! :eek:

Sinster
06-08-2005, 08:24 AM
Believe it or not but the best beef jerky that I have to this day has been from Maine. I forgot the name of farm but it's off of Meadow Rd. in Topsham.

Faolan
06-08-2005, 09:33 AM
My name is gaelic for Wolf, which is my nickname 'cause I like wolves!
I've known about Geocaching for awhile but I just recently purchased a ForeTrex 101.
I live in Orrington with my girlfriend and 8 American Curly horses. I'm from away but I wouldn't live anywhere else. :)

This weekend will be my first hunting opportunity, probably "The Pound" or "A Kings Cache"

Bluegrass Gyrl
06-08-2005, 09:50 AM
I believe you are referring to Bisson's Meat Market? They are fantastic for just about any kind of meat. I have trouble finding Boston Butt cuts for BBQ and I can always count on them. I can also buy chicken and beef bones...cheap....to make my own stock (when I'm ambitious!).

TwoMaineiacs
06-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Bisson's Meats it is ! We hosted a pig roast last year for 100 people and used their pig cooker on a trailer body. They supplied everything, including strapping the pig in the cooking basket. Their beef brisket is great and their own cured black pastrami pretty special. Visited my VA family this spring and took a cooler of steak and roasts to my brother who said it was the best meat market he had every visited. Approximate location for the market if anyone wants it is
N43° 57.806' W69° 58.678' on Meadow Road in Topsham.

There is a cache nearby "Bradley Pond Cache" GCGTED. Looks very interesting but rules to follow to keep it open.

Anne

WhereRWe?
06-08-2005, 03:39 PM
This place sounds good. Do they have regular retail hours?

Sinster
06-08-2005, 04:50 PM
It's been since 95' since I've been to Bissons. The funny thing is that I grew up in Topsham... I don't visit often because all my good friend have left that area.

I bet Maine Street Brunswick has changed a lot. I use to work at LaVeridia's* during my high school years.. it was on the corner of Lincoln(?) and Maine way before they moved it up toward Cottles and before the buy out. I use to walk from there to back home Tedford Rd. I use to take Water St. and then take the RailRoad Trussle over into Topsham and follow the tracks home.

Haffy
06-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Wow!!! Laverdiere's and Cottles, that brings back memories. We used to have both of them in Waterville as well. How old did you say you were?

Cache Maine
06-08-2005, 07:25 PM
This weekend will be my first hunting opportunity, probably "The Pound" or "A Kings Cache"
Welcome! Let us know how you make out with those. Hope to see you on the trail soon!:)

Sinster
06-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Wow!!! Laverdiere's and Cottles, that brings back memories. We used to have both of them in Waterville as well. How old did you say you were? It depends :) some days I feel 35 and others I feel a little younger :D

zurcher
06-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi all,
am from Connecticut...
was told, somewhere here on this website [ I cant find it ! ] is a downloadable form...
GEOCACHE RETRIEVAL VEHICLE
The driver of this vehicle...etc, etc....

This form is real usefull to display on dashboard, specially at dark..while doing night caching.

Any one know what I mean?
ZURCHER

Faolan
06-18-2005, 10:02 PM
I found it here. . .

http://home.gwi.net/~teebow/permit.pdf

Cache'n Jacksons
06-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Close... GWI's Apache web servers are case-sensitive... try http://home.gwi.net/~teebow/Permit.pdf (http://home.gwi.net/%7Eteebow/Permit.pdf)

radar91VMI
09-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Greetings all!

Just signed into the group having recently relocated to Brunswick from Jacksonville, Fl courtesy of the Navy.

I started caching almost a year ago after finding a link to site from an online article. I had to take a six month hiatus while deployed to El Salvador(only 3 cahces in the country and no access for security reasons:confused: ), but am definately getting back into it.

My login is the same one I've used for most of my online activities. radar: an old nickname and 91VMI: my college and class.

Cheers!

WhereRWe?
09-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Greetings all!

Just signed into the group having recently relocated to Brunswick from Jacksonville, Fl courtesy of the Navy.

Cheers!

Welcome! Glad to have another of "America's Best" with us. Several of us are retired military, and the webmaster, Rick (Attroll) is retired Navy.

Hope to meet you at one of our gecaching events.

Bruce (MSG, USA, Ret)

TwoMaineiacs
09-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Welcome. I thought most of BNAS was headed the other way. :mad: There are some great caches here in the Brunswick/Phippsburg area that will get you out in the country, mountain tops and seashore. Don't miss doing "Morse Mountain" and "Thornhead".

Anne

J_Cyr
09-19-2005, 06:41 PM
I guess I never seen this post, but better late then never!

As most of you know, I am Jordan. I am can't come up with cool nicknames online like most of you have, so I went with the plain, J_Cyr. I am from the county, (a real hick, right Rick?) More or less, from Caribou -- the most North-Eastern City in the US.

I started geocaching last spring. I actually heard through a friend, who heard through a friend! Immediately I invested in a GPS, and now I go to caches whenever I can, either setting one or finding one. I set my first one, in Caribou last year (first one in Caribou at the time) and now have set almost a dozen. Up until last summer the county had little to no caches and now it seems almost every other day we get a new cache!

I am a mechanic and a fire fighter. I am also still in college, studying Criminal Justice. I am also known for Volkswagens, I like the old VW's and work on them and fix them up. Well that sums up me I assume. I just met a few of you at the event, it was great meeting you all!

Yeehawma
09-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey J_Cyr- nothing wrong with being from the county- I grew up there myself! (Easton). I'm going to try to do a couple of your caches in Oct when I am in the area.:D

J_Cyr
09-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Easton huh. Big place, don't blink! :)
My Uncle owns the store in Easton.
Some of you might wonder why I didn't say which one, its cause its the only store in Easton. Who said you can't buy bread and pickup ammo in the same place, (besides Wal*Mart...)

firefighterjake
09-20-2005, 07:47 AM
Easton huh. Big place, don't blink! :)
My Uncle owns the store in Easton.
Some of you might wonder why I didn't say which one, its cause its the only store in Easton. Who said you can't buy bread and pickup ammo in the same place, (besides Wal*Mart...)
Easton is close to Squa Pan Lake and Mountain, right? If so I've stopped at your uncle's store a few times while riding ATVs in the area. Even picked up some of those famous Fox Family potato chips . . . they're not kidding about the BBQ chips being a bit on the hot side are they?

Hiram357
09-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Hello,
My real name is Aaron, and *sigh* I'm addicted to geocaching. I've had this addiction since early spring of 2005. It started out innocently enough, then I got married this summer; and I dragged my wife into it too. At first it was just a cache here and then, then I started doing it every weekend, I've even done it on work nights, I even found myself doing it in a company vehicle. It just keeps getting worse, I hid my first geocache today, which was in a way relieving because it was published less than 4 hours after I placed it, which gives me hope because there are people worse off than I am that sit around and wait for them to show up :p

My screen name is the same on geocaching.com and for those of you that ponder the name, it is of a Masonic reference. I've already met a few of you in the woods and for those that have not met me I'm the one in the white Jeep Cherokee driving up the trail and hanging out the window trying to get satelite reception while dodging trees. I live in Waterville, I'm an HVACR Tech by trade, The Wife is a student at Unity College and hobbies include geocaching, geocaching, and uhhh geocaching? (is there a self help website that linked on this page anywhere?) And so that's me in a nutshell, and perhaps I'll meet some more of you in the woods or at an event.:cool:

firefighterjake
09-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Hello,
My real name is Aaron, and *sigh* I'm addicted to geocaching. I've had this addiction since early spring of 2005. It started out innocently enough, then I got married this summer; and I dragged my wife into it too. At first it was just a cache here and then, then I started doing it every weekend, I've even done it on work nights, I even found myself doing it in a company vehicle. It just keeps getting worse, I hid my first geocache today, which was in a way relieving because it was published less than 4 hours after I placed it, which gives me hope because there are people worse off than I am that sit around and wait for them to show up :p

My screen name is the same on geocaching.com and for those of you that ponder the name, it is of a Masonic reference. I've already met a few of you in the woods and for those that have not met me I'm the one in the white Jeep Cherokee driving up the trail and hanging out the window trying to get satelite reception while dodging trees. I live in Waterville, I'm an HVACR Tech by trade, The Wife is a student at Unity College and hobbies include geocaching, geocaching, and uhhh geocaching? (is there a self help website that linked on this page anywhere?) And so that's me in a nutshell, and perhaps I'll meet some more of you in the woods or at an event.:cool:
Well Hiram like you I've also found this activity quite addicting (which is ironic since I purchased my GPSr mainly to keep from getting lost while out ATVing and snowmobiling and instead I find myself using it a lot more for geo-caching) . . . went to your hidden cache this morning on my "way" into work . . . of course I work in Bangor so swinging out to your cache was a bit of a stretch to say it was "on the way" . . . beautiful spot. Made me want to be a fisherman . . . almost. Stayed there for a bit longer just for the scenery . . . finding these hidden (and sometimes not so hidden) caches is what this activity is all about.

Unlike you I can't convince my wife that geo-caching is a lot of fun. Of course it could be because whenever she goes out in the woods with me she a) gets eaten alive by bugs while none bother me, b) she ends up hurting herself in some way, shape or form. She tolerates my geo-caching though . . . although she keeps calling it "geo-trashing" since she says most of the knicknacks I've brought home are basically junk.

TwoMaineiacs
09-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Aaron - There are a lot worse addictions. Geocaching at least is good for your body with all the walking. Course there are the bug bites, bruises, scrapes and dents to the ego when you don't find a cache ;) .

Don't think my mom would have approved today when we both tracked woods debris through a hotel lobby, smelling a bit "odorific" from hiking miles through Acadia National Park. But those huge smiles on our faces were from seeing sights we'd never have gone to without geocaching.

Anne

Hiram357
09-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the support, I know with that kind of attitude an adiction like geocaching will be a lot more bearable :eek:

ezchaos
10-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Hi there. I've thought of Geocaching for quite a while, but only got into it about a month or so ago. I started out around home and then spiraled out to the OOB area, Augusta, and Pownal. I'm outdoors all of the time partaking activities like kayaking, hiking, etc, so I figured GCing would just go hand in hand with my lifestyle.

One of the neatest parts of this hobby has been telling others about it and watching their reactions. A few have even gone out and tried it for themselves.

Mainiac1957
10-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Welcome and hope to meet you at a future event.

Team2hunt
10-05-2005, 05:20 PM
One of the neatest parts of this hobby has been telling others about it and watching their reactions. A few have even gone out and tried it for themselves. The Team knows exactly what you mean. Glad to see you " found " geocaching and welcome to it. Another southern Maine cacher. Yahoo!!!! Hope to see you on the trails. :D :D

Beach Comber
10-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Welcome! Great to have another cacher from the great city of Portland join the crowd!! Have fun :D

d’76
10-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Great City of Portland??? Isn't that an Oxymorone (giggling to myself) So BC I had to do it, But I'm just kidding

Beach Comber
10-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Yes indeedy there Dave - Portland is a great city!! I chose to assume that you were kidding before you even fessed up - hehehe. In fact, I actually wrote the comment with you in mind :p

d’76
10-05-2005, 06:22 PM
I thought that was the case........

WhereRWe?
10-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Yes indeedy there Dave - Portland is a great city!!

Just wondering, Beachie - have you ever been outside the State of Maine (other than the geocaching event at Campobello, I mean)? LOL! :p :p

FFFarmer
10-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Welcome aboard ezchaos!!!!!!!!! you will enjoy the people on this site, they are all good people. If you ever come North caching.....make sure to mark your home waypoint, you wouldn't want to get lost up here in the OTHER Maine.:rolleyes:

Beach Comber
10-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Just wondering, Beachie - have you ever been outside the State of Maine (other than the geocaching event at Campobello, I mean)? LOL! :p :p
Well, let's see - I didn't go to Campobello so I guess my experience there won't count for much. And the rest of my travels are top secret :eek:

Bar Hiker
12-20-2005, 08:06 PM
I learned of geocaching from a friend over six months ago and have been looking into it off and on ever since. Looks like so much fun that I've been dropping hints to my wife that a new GPS would make a great Christmas present. So hopfully I'll be out there soon.

I was born in Eastport, Maine and grew up just south of there in a small town called Pembroke. Spent six years in the Navy, I have worked for Raytheon company for over 19 years and live in Brunswick. My wife and I have a 10 year old daughter and we love to go camping, hiking, skiing,,, basically anything that will get us outside. I think geocaching will fit those hobbies like a glove.

Great site and Merry Christmas to all,

Bar Hiker

WhereRWe?
12-20-2005, 08:18 PM
I learned of geocashing from a friend over six months ago and have been looking into it off and on ever since. Looks like so much fun that I've been dropping hints to my wife that a new GPS would make a great Christmas present. So hopfully I'll be out there soon.

I was born in Eastport, Maine and grew up just south of there in a small town called Pembroke. Spent six years in the Navy, I have worked for Raytheon company for over 19 years and live in Brunswick. My wife and I have a 10 year old daughter and we love to go camping, hiking, skiing,,, basically anything that will get us outside. I think geocashing will fit those hobbies like a glove.

Great site and Merry Christmas to all,

Bar Hiker

Welcome, BH!

Many of us like the Garmin GPSMap 60c/60cs. Santa can arrange it for you. And can certainly arrange the mapping software that makes it GREAT!

And a Merry Christmas to you and your family as well! :D :D :D

Bruce & Teresa (WhereRWe? & RULOST2?)

PS: It's spelled GEOCACHING! ;)

becket
12-20-2005, 08:44 PM
and some of us like magellan meridian gold!

Hiram357
12-20-2005, 08:51 PM

And there are those of us that live and die by Garmins (hopefully more live)

Welcome to the sport, there's a lot of great people involved in it.
hope to see ya out there.

firefighterjake
12-20-2005, 08:53 PM

Yeah . . . what she said. :)

By the way welcome to the site.

Hiram357
12-20-2005, 09:03 PM
Yeah . . . what she said. :)

By the way welcome to the site.

*sigh* Silly little Magellan users... ohhh when will they learn

Hiram357
12-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Looks like so much fun that I've been dropping hints to my wife that a new GPS would make a great Christmas present.

just careful how you drop those hints... you dont want her to buy you a Great Pair of Socks :rolleyes:

robt
12-20-2005, 10:05 PM
The few the proud the megellan user group!

The elite are allways few in number :)

Hiram357
12-20-2005, 10:33 PM
The few the proud the megellan user group!

The elite are allways few in number :)

Cache like the best, die like the rest :eek:

The elite are allways few in numbers??? so whats the excuse for Magellan users then....???? :eek:

Bar Hiker
12-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Well, since I live close to LL Beans I’ve been eyeing the Garmin Vista C (sorry Magellan users). And no worries, I asked for socks on my birthday so I should be good to go.
I do appreciate all the input though. Nice to see that a lot of people browse the site regularly.
BH

Hiram357
12-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Bar Hiker??
whats the origin of that name??
I've been dubbed Bar Crawler before, but i don't think i've ever been called a bar hiker

Bar Hiker
12-20-2005, 11:21 PM
One of the last camping trips we do every year is Bar Harbor and also when I was a kid my family would usually go there at least once during the summer. So the area means a lot to me. And I like to Hike. So I put the two together and came up with Bar Hiker. It wasn’t until I sat back and looked at it that I realized people may think I’ll be hiding caches in pubs and bars up and down the east coast… Don’t worry that won’t happen, not that I haven’t frequented a couple of drinking establishments over the years but that’s another story.
BH

kayakerinme
12-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Bar Hiker is also a great name if you want to start a cattle ranch out west - makes a great brand for them there cattle. Feel free to use this when you poke them cattle. :p

http://www.hansenfotographi.com/bar-hiker.jpg

WhereRWe?
12-21-2005, 08:33 AM
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Well, since I live close to LL Beans I’ve been eyeing the Garmin Vista C

I think Haffy6 has the Garmin Vista (not sure about color, though). Ask him for a recommendation.

And I think you'll find that Garmin users have higher cache counts! LOL! ;) ;)

Neoncouple
12-22-2005, 12:05 AM
I still like my Magellan Sportak Pro :D:p:D

robt
12-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Cache like the best, die like the rest :eek:

The elite are allways few in numbers??? so whats the excuse for Magellan users then....???? :eek:

ok ,well went out caching yesterday with TAT and ended up borrowwing his 76cs cause I didn ot have any caches loaded for down south in my magellan... Ouch that GPS is Sweet, Even decided to go look at the 60cs over at the kittery trading post..... ok, well maybe this spring when the 60 csx comes out I might just have to put me meridian up for sale.

TAT, you keep this up I will have to change from the megllan camp to the garmin camp :)

Hiram357
12-24-2005, 03:24 PM
ok ,well went out caching yesterday with TAT and ended up borrowwing his 76cs cause I didn ot have any caches loaded for down south in my magellan... Ouch that GPS is Sweet, Even decided to go look at the 60cs over at the kittery trading post..... ok, well maybe this spring when the 60 csx comes out I might just have to put me meridian up for sale.

TAT, you keep this up I will have to change from the megllan camp to the garmin camp :)

I dunno about that.... should we even allow ex-magellan users to process communications with us????? i think they should be excommunicated and forced to use Lowrance IFinders, HAHAHAHAHA
just goes to show... ya cant beat a garmin... but even if you did beat it, it would still work! :D

robt
12-24-2005, 07:32 PM
I dunno about that.... should we even allow ex-magellan users to process communications with us????? i think they should be excommunicated and forced to use Lowrance IFinders, HAHAHAHAHA
just goes to show... ya cant beat a garmin... but even if you did beat it, it would still work! :D

Sorry if I am not good enough to talk to anymore... :( and I am not an ex maggelan user yet, just said that I am impressed with the garmin and when the new x models come out that I will be very tempted to switch cause it seems like garmin has finnally gotten rid of the issues that I did not like them in the first place for :p :D

But then who knows, maybe magellan will start to make a good GPS??? I doubt it but a megllan owner can dream :) and maybe we can get a micro cache dector too :) :D Ok so now I am dreaming again :D

Merry Christmas

laxreff
12-24-2005, 09:02 PM
I'm also new, Since August '05. I had seen Geocaching in the news, checked out the web site at least three years ago, then finally baught a Garmin Etrex Legend. Been great so far. I've been sailing since I could walk but never liked cruising. I prefer to sleep in my own bed! I build canoes and kayaks and really want to start camping again after 30 years. As my tag implies I'm a lacrosse referee and that's where I earn my "play momey" for now. My wife also is a member under the tag Zipsmom. Zip is our 12 year old black lab. I take him when I can but he still thinks he's a puppy.
If you want a couple of quick caches in Brunswick check out our Back To School and Dragons be here.:o

attroll
12-24-2005, 09:20 PM
laxreff

Welcome to our web site. I was born a raised in Brunswick. How long have you lived in Brunswick?

laxreff
12-25-2005, 01:02 AM
Born and raised in Topsham, own a house in Brunswick for 23 years now.

Hiram357
12-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Sorry if I am not good enough to talk to anymore... :( and I am not an ex maggelan user yet, just said that I am impressed with the garmin and when the new x models come out that I will be very tempted to switch cause it seems like garmin has finnally gotten rid of the issues that I did not like them in the first place for :p :D

But then who knows, maybe magellan will start to make a good GPS??? I doubt it but a megllan owner can dream :) and maybe we can get a micro cache dector too :) :D Ok so now I am dreaming again :D

Merry Christmas

Ohhh don't worry, you'll still be good enough to talk too!! we'll just make fun of you for using a magellan.... ;)

aaronpriest
12-26-2005, 10:48 PM
Well, my nickname is obvious! FJCruiser, a good friend of mine, got me into geocaching since I already did a lot of outdoor photography, and we've tackled a few geocaches together. I've since taken my brother and a few other friends, and gotten my wife, TeishPriest, quite interested in geocaching as well. We recently decided to get some geocoins made up, and now I've gotten into a whole new sport of geocoin collecting. At least the wife approves of that one too! :D I currently use my Delorme Earthmate with my PocketPC, which isn't the most convienent setup, especially when you are moving slower than 5mph, but it works if you are VERY, VERY patient! I actually got the Earthmate to use with my laptop while travelling, but the laptop is not practical romping through swamps. I'm saving up my pennies for a Garmin 60CS. I think I'll enjoy geocaching a lot more with the right equipment!

masterson of the universe
12-27-2005, 05:26 PM
I haven't been at this long as I have a lot of other things going on with my new house and new baby. Masterson is my last name, of the universe came about at work through a really busy time. I grew up in Bristol which is the next penninsula north of the cache rich Boothbay Harbor. I moved to Brewer in May but have been in the area for 3 years. I used to be a Jeeper but had to trade that in when I had the baby. Someday I'll have another. I heard about caching through one of my co-works after talking about weekend events. I bought a GPS, figured out how to use it that night, and went after my first cache the next day. I became instantly hooked and have since gotten my dad hooked and my brother interested.

y2ksillin
12-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

I ran into Dave1976 and Co. on Christmas Day right after they found our humble cache. He was so nice I figured I should stop lurking on the site a bit and say hello. Let's see... My name is Peter and I am a teacher in Yarmouth. We moved here in the summer of '05 from Virginia, where my wife and I had lived for about 10 years. I grew up in NY but my wife is a native here. The move to ME has been part of the long range plan for a long time, but only recently became possible. Our handle comes from a time (B.C. = Before Children) when we went to London with some friends to celebrate the Millennium (or, for the chronologically puritanical, the turn of the year 2000). Our friends' parents thought we were crazy to risk terrorists and other potential catastrophes; they called us the y2ksillins. The kind of blissful obliviousness in pursuit of fun the nickname recalls for us serves us well as geocachers, too. So it seemed like a good callsign. My wife has been out with us a few times, but mostly my 4-year old and I are the dedicated "treasure-hunters." He is obsessed with any kind of map and loves the buttons on "his" GPSr. We have Garmin Rino 110s and although I think as a GPS device it probably isn't very good, they were cheap and we tickle each other pretty frequently by using the walkie-talkie portion of the units.

Smitty & Co.
12-29-2005, 09:39 AM
We have Garmin Rino 110s and although I think as a GPS device it probably isn't very good, they were cheap and we tickle each other pretty frequently by using the walkie-talkie portion of the units.

If you ever plan on upgrading and still like the two-way radio capabilities, go with the new family of RINO's. I owned a 110 and soon found that I wanted something that had more bells & whistles I got the 130 model and now they have a couple of new RINO's the 520 & 530 with more bells & whistles but always remember, and never forget, any Garmin is better than the best Magellan. :D :eek: :D

Hiram357
12-30-2005, 12:06 AM
If you ever plan on upgrading and still like the two-way radio capabilities, go with the new family of RINO's. I owned a 110 and soon found that I wanted something that had more bells & whistles I got the 130 model and now they have a couple of new RINO's the 520 & 530 with more bells & whistles but always remember, and never forget, any Garmin is better than the best Magellan. :D :eek: :D

I do have to disagree with you on that one smitty... any Garmin is not better than the best Magellan.....

It's better than 5 of the best Magellans being operated by tough skinned, well weathered, highly experienced geocachers!!! but chances are pretty slim that people like that would even think about touching a Magellan.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

DiverDave1998
12-30-2005, 09:13 PM
Hello Everyone

I got my name from my sergeant on a Sheriff’s Dept.
I dove for a Sheriff’s Dept for 10 years volunteering
In recoveries, of bodies and evidents.
Now I have my own Dive business and I am an engineer for a railroad
I also drive a transport truck hauling fuel.
And I am on 2 fire depts. And 2 Rescue Services.
I bought my gps as to set up landing zones for life flight.
Then ran across geocaching.

J_Cyr
12-30-2005, 09:51 PM
2 fire depts

Good to see another fire fighter. I am a fire fighter in Caribou.

firefighterjake
12-30-2005, 09:57 PM
Hello Everyone

I got my name from my sergeant on a Sheriff’s Dept.
I dove for a Sheriff’s Dept for 10 years volunteering
In recoveries, of bodies and evidents.
Now I have my own Dive business and I am an engineer for a railroad
I also drive a transport truck hauling fuel.
And I am on 2 fire depts. And 2 Rescue Services.
I bought my gps as to set up landing zones for life flight.
Then ran across geocaching.

So when exactly do you find the time to go geo-caching with all of that other stuff? ;)

It's interesting to see that an unusually high number of public safety officials (firefighters, EMS personnel and law enforcement) also seem to geo-cache.

I'm curious as to what fire departments you belong to . . . the only reason I ask is because I'm the assistant editor to a firefighter trade magazine that goes out to every FD in the State and I have made a number of contacts around the state in the past number of years.

By the way . . . if you're reading this TRF . . . the KJ posted a great pic of you guys doing your ice training . . . also ran in the Portland paper and Morning Sentinel.

DiverDave1998
12-30-2005, 10:46 PM
I am on Rome and Belgrade Fire and Rescues
When I find time well not to often really.

Hiram357
12-31-2005, 12:34 AM
It's interesting to see that an unusually high number of public safety officials (firefighters, EMS personnel and law enforcement) also seem to geo-cache.

Geo-Caching is a delicate balance of lifestyles.... you guys serve and protect lives, and i endanger mine and keep you guys in the job :D :D

DiverDave1998
12-31-2005, 04:58 AM
It prob sad but i am considered glory seeker
why else would i do it.
its not because iam smart
running into burning buildings as they fall in on me.
falling though burning roofs

Trezurs*-R-*Fun
12-31-2005, 12:42 PM
It prob sad but i am considered glory seeker
why else would i do it.
its not because iam smart
running into burning buildings as they fall in on me.
falling though burning roofs

It is sad to say!!!!!!.....There is a lot of training both mandated and optional that gives you the tools to be a better firefighter and not a daredevil. NO ONE SHOULD RUN INTO A HOUSE THAT IS "FALLING DOWN AROUND YOU." OR STAND ON A ROOF THAT IS "FALLING IN." I'm sure this was a play on word on your part but giving the general public the impression that this is acceptable behavior on a fire scene is just wrong. All firefighters, volunteer or career, should practice safe, proven and accepted fire fighting methods and tactics. We firefighters have protocols and rules no different than the police departments that we must meet for the safety of the public and ourselves. Don't leave people here with the impression that we are a bunch of yahoo glory seekers. My goal every shift for the past 16 years is to come home safely to my family. Keeping my name off of the monument in Emmitsburg MD (NFA memorial to fallen firefighters) and the one in Augusta is not just being responsible but should be a mission for all firefighters. Wisdom is a word in the firefighters prayer that all firefighters should heed.

A
Firefighter's
Prayer

Help me, Lord, to be a good
and dedicated firefighter.
Give me the STRENGTH
to face the boredom
as well as the fear.
Give me the WISDOM
to make quick decisions
and compassionate choices.
Give me the COURAGE
to bear the responsibilities
and duties of doing
my job well.

Your attitude here reflects on all firefighters. Treat firefighting with the dignity that it deserves. We have a hard enough time doing our jobs and giving folks the impression we are just a bunch of yahoos will only make getting needed monies, equipment and public support harder to get.

Steve
IAFF Local 1650 Augusta Uniformed Firefighters

Yeehawma
12-31-2005, 04:09 PM
Thanks for your wise words Steve. As the mom of a son studying to go into this career field, I appreciate the realistic image you are trying to portray. I was beginning to wonder if my son will end up being one of those yahoos looking for glory.:)

d’76
12-31-2005, 05:59 PM
It will be awhile before I hit my 500 cache so instead this is my 500 post. YAHH:D

Hiram357
12-31-2005, 06:04 PM
Congratulations Dave!!! I"ll Drink To That! :D

WhereRWe?
12-31-2005, 07:00 PM
Congratulations Dave!!! I"ll Drink To That! :D

Sheesh, Hiram! And I thought you were a REAL beer drinker. But if you need an excuse... Sigh... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SAVE THE ALES!!!

Hiram357
12-31-2005, 08:47 PM
Sheesh, Hiram! And I thought you were a REAL beer drinker. But if you need an excuse... Sigh... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SAVE THE ALES!!!

I'm not making excuses... I'm just tryin to honor his big achievment....
and whats with saving the ales??? are you mad??? i do my best to get rid of them every chance i get!! :D :D

WhereRWe?
01-01-2006, 07:50 AM
whats with saving the ales??? are you mad??? i do my best to get rid of them every chance i get!! :D :D

Go to Jokas' and get some 420 IPA. I'll bet you'll enjoy getting rid of that!

:D :D :D :D

Hiram357
01-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Go to Jokas' and get some 420 IPA. I'll bet you'll enjoy getting rid of that!

:D :D :D :D

nha, i had to stop going to Jokas, I figured out that i'm allergic to alcohol!!!! every time i drink to much i break out in handcuffs!! :eek: :eek:

WhereRWe?
01-01-2006, 07:01 PM
nha, i had to stop going to Jokas, I figured out that i'm allergic to alcohol!!!! every time i drink to much i break out in handcuffs!! :eek: :eek:

No, it wasn't the alcohol - it was the freakin' Guinness! LOL! That stuff would make anyone crazy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hiram357
01-01-2006, 07:15 PM
No, it wasn't the alcohol - it was the freakin' Guinness! LOL! That stuff would make anyone crazy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guinness for strength!! it's good for you! :D

WhereRWe?
01-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Guinness for strength!! it's good for you! :D

Sheesh!

Get on US Route 201 north. Go to St. George, Quebec. Buy a couple of 6-packs of Canadian ale (customs won't hassle you for bringing back a case of beer the same day). Also stop at the cheese factory on the south side of town - cheese goes GREAT with good beer.

You won't buy another Guinness! :D :D :D

Haffy
01-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Im thinking maybe this would be a good time to ask our webmaster Rick to make a new topic thread of OFF topic as this thread is WAY off topic. I was under the impression that this thread is called "tell us about yourself" what the heck does Guiness and Canadian beer have to do with this topic anyway? lol ;)

Hiram357
01-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Sheesh!

Get on US Route 201 north. Go to St. George, Quebec. Buy a couple of 6-packs of Canadian ale (customs won't hassle you for bringing back a case of beer the same day). Also stop at the cheese factory on the south side of town - cheese goes GREAT with good beer.

You won't buy another Guinness! :D :D :D

yeah, and i can gurantee you that i wouldnt drive that far to buy canadian beer!! :p heck i dont think i would walk to jokas to buy canadian beer, I only take canadian beer if its free or theres nothin else available :D

WhereRWe?
01-01-2006, 07:42 PM
yeah, and i can gurantee you that i wouldnt drive that far to buy canadian beer!! :p heck i dont think i would walk to jokas to buy canadian beer, I only take canadian beer if its free or theres nothin else available :D

Well, sheesh! You drink Guinness - it's not surprising! LOL!

Hiram357
01-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, sheesh! You drink Guinness - it's not surprising! LOL!

yeah, well what do you go for Milwaukees best & Natural Ice Light???:p
I sense this will not be the begining of a long and beautiful freindship :mad: ... :rolleyes:

Hiram357
01-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Im thinking maybe this would be a good time to ask our webmaster Rick to make a new topic thread of OFF topic as this thread is WAY off topic. I was under the impression that this thread is called "tell us about yourself" what the heck does Guiness and Canadian beer have to do with this topic anyway? lol ;)

Well Haffy the kind of beer that a person drinks does tell a lot about the person. Like me for example, I enjoy Guinness that shows that I am well educated and have some class, but on the other hand WhereRwe drinks pig swill like Zima and Blue Ribbon, which shows he has no idea what good beer is, and so he therefore lives a sheltered and uninteresting life... :p :p ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
01-02-2006, 07:03 PM
yeah, well what do you go for Milwaukees best & Natural Ice Light???:p
I sense this will not be the begining of a long and beautiful freindship :mad: ... :rolleyes:

OK, Dude. You threw down the gauntlet. I'll accept the challenge. I'll meet you here (http://beeradvocate.com/fests/) on February 11. Bring your favorite glass...

:p :p :p

hollora
01-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Hope I get this posted in the right place. :confused: Heard about Geocaching from various sources and felt warm and comfy when I saw so many firefighter friends who were part of the team. :D Hope to meet some of you in the field.

Asked for a GPS for Christmas and my Santa brought one with bells and whistles which I will have to learn how to use. :rolleyes: Am planning on taking a basic GPS class from the Conservation Club this month. Will start on my ventures this month with some friends who are GPS savy from nautical navigation.

Now, hollora, was our kennel name when we raised, bred and showed dogs (Boxers and Shiba Inus). Only natural that all ventures should carry the same ID. It is an anagram of names from our family - Holmes our surname and Lois-Ann and Ralph our first names.

I am hoping I can get my husband who can't physically do metal detecting anymore to help me with geocaching. He is a good driver and a patient waiter. Maybe I can even get him engaged in a few searches.

Looking forward to a fun experience and even hope to place a few fun caches this summer. Need to find a few first.

Lois-Ann :)

Mainiac1957
01-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Greetings Lois, I'm Brad and I live just up the road in Brewer. Anytime you'd like to get together I'd be glad to offer what I can to help answer questions. There are a few of us chronic type cachers in the Bangor/Brewer/Orrington area who are always willing to help a new cacher get there feet wet. Good luck and have fun.;)

d’76
01-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Greetings Lois, I'm Brad and I live just up the road in Brewer. Anytime you'd like to get together I'd be glad to offer what I can to help answer questions. There are a few of us chronic type cachers in the Bangor/Brewer/Orrington area who are always willing to help a new cacher get there feet wet. Good luck and have fun.;)

HEY!!! what about Old Town Brad from Brewer!:D

WhereRWe?
01-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Hope I get this posted in the right place. :confused: Heard about Geocaching from various sources and felt warm and comfy when I saw so many firefighter friends who were part of the team. :D Hope to meet some of you in the field.

Welcome! A great way to meet fellow cachers and get advice is to attend one of our geocaching events. They're always a great get-together.

Unless someone schedules one for January, the next one will probably be the February WWWWWW event in Winslow (Waterville) that RULOST2? and I are hosting.

Hope to see you there!

Bruce

:D :D :D

Beach Comber
01-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Hope I get this posted in the right place. :confused: Heard about Geocaching from various sources and felt warm and comfy when I saw so many firefighter friends who were part of the team. :D Hope to meet some of you in the field. Lois-Ann :)

Welcome! This is a great resource for you as you start upon your caching journey. There are lots of tips and tricks that you can learn along the way, plus many great people who share a common interest. Next time you see an event surface, please join in - it is the best way to feel connected!!

Yeehawma
01-02-2006, 09:43 PM
:) Welcome to a great new hobby! You should visit this site often. You'll find the folks that frequent this site a close knit bunch who are more than willing to help out newbies. If you have a specific question, you'll get more than one answer along with a bit of humor. And check out some of the best photos ever. I will probably never get to meet any of the "regulars" in person, but they have certainly helped me, entertained me and shared some wonderful photos.

Hiram357
01-02-2006, 11:29 PM
OK, Dude. You threw down the gauntlet. I'll accept the challenge. I'll meet you here (http://beeradvocate.com/fests/) on February 11. Bring your favorite glass...

:p :p :p

would there be a carpool???? I've already started polishing my Guinness tankard!!:D :D :D

firefighterjake
01-03-2006, 07:36 AM

Asked for a GPS for Christmas and my Santa brought one with bells and whistles which I will have to learn how to use. :rolleyes: Am planning on taking a basic GPS class from the Conservation Club this month. Will start on my ventures this month with some friends who are GPS savy from nautical navigation.

Now, hollora, was our kennel name when we raised, bred and showed dogs (Boxers and Shiba Inus). Only natural that all ventures should carry the same ID. It is an anagram of names from our family - Holmes our surname and Lois-Ann and Ralph our first names.

I am hoping I can get my husband who can't physically do metal detecting anymore to help me with geocaching. He is a good driver and a patient waiter. Maybe I can even get him engaged in a few searches.

Looking forward to a fun experience and even hope to place a few fun caches this summer. Need to find a few first.

Hi Lois . . . haven't heard from you in some time. Welcome to the world of geo-caching . . . you should see if you can't drag Dave along with you some time . . . he might actually enjoy this hobby.

There's a pretty decent cache not too far away from you at the Pound . . . but it's been temporarily disabled. There's also another one nearby at the Park which would be fairly easy to do even during the winter.

team moxiepup
01-15-2006, 11:42 PM
Greetings!
We started Geocaching in Nov., and have a little over 50 caches behind us. (We have become just a little, wee bit obsessed... but it's all good!) :D
My partner heard about Geocaching from a vendor at work, checked it out online, and away we went! Our first two finds were done before we bought the GPSr. The third one was a DNF after an hour long hike. How naive were we??? That afternoon, someone got a combo birthday/X-mas present a little early, in the form of a Garmin Etrex LegendC. :p
The two of us, and our Geohound, Moxie have enjoyed getting out and, seeing all the places we would normally never have discovered. Moxie is a Miniature Pinscher/Pomeranian mix we got from a rescue shelter at the age of 8 weeks. She has just turned one this week. She loves being outside in the snow, or in the water. She's a big dog in a little dog package, and always up for an adventure!
We just hid our first cache today... Moxie's Dog Lover's Cache.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=cfc1b542-ca72-4d50-8cf0-b3bc3827222b (Sorry about the long URL... We've forgotten how to rename a link) :confused:
It has a dog theme. We hope you all have a chance to check it out and enjoy it.
Hope to meet some of you on the trail or at an event!

mainemuel
01-16-2006, 12:09 AM
welcome home and enjoy

Slate
01-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Great theme for a cache team moxiepup. We are looking forward to taking our black lab on this cache. She really hates to be left behind in the car when we find out that a cache is not dog friendly.

Zonker&co
01-23-2006, 01:25 AM
Hi, We're from Riverview, New Brunswick, Canada. Zonker&co includes my wife and I and our youngest son. Our traitorous two older boys have recently acquired their own geocaching names and accounts. We have been geocaching since June of 2005 and enjoy the sport immensely. We hope to visit Maine this spring and/or summer for some camping and caching.

DataMonkey
02-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Datamonkey was my nickname where I used to work because I was able to retrieve data from our numerous computer systems quicker than anyone else.
I am new to the area having recently moved to Maine from England with my wife and 5 year old daughter.
We are also new to Geocaching having found out about quite by accident from a complete stranger that we bunmped into one day in Waterville. However, I have always liked gadgets so a GPS sounded like a good idea, and Geocaching the perfect excuse!
The three of us really enjoyed our first go at geocaching today and my Daughter thought that it was the best thing ever to find 'buried treasure'. I can see us doing a lot more of this over the coming months... :)

WhereRWe?
02-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Welcome! :D :D :D

Haffy
02-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Glad to have you aboard and glad I invited you along on this adventure. See you on the trail or at an event in the near future.

Slate
02-23-2006, 09:18 AM
So what brought you to our great state of Maine? That is a pretty big move.

d’76
02-26-2006, 01:59 PM
So what brought you to our great state of Maine? That is a pretty big move.

Must be the great jobs, pay and job security along with the low taxes.:rolleyes:

Slate
02-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Must be the great jobs, pay and job security along with the low taxes.:rolleyes:

Didn't you know that that is part of the master plan to keep others away so we can enjoy the state for ourselves?:D

Hiram357
02-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Didn't you know that that is part of the master plan to keep others away so we can enjoy the state for ourselves?:D

Ohhhhh... I get it now... That's why every city is getting a wal-mart and circut city, and a dicks sporting goods and chain resturaunts. and why they're going to develope around mooshead lake.... people are going to look at Maine and say... geeeze, i can just get that stuff down the road, why the hell would i want to go to Maine for that???

Slate
02-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Ohhhhh... I get it now... That's why every city is getting a wal-mart and circut city, and a dicks sporting goods and chain resturaunts. and why they're going to develope around mooshead lake.... people are going to look at Maine and say... geeeze, i can just get that stuff down the road, why the hell would i want to go to Maine for that???

Why would it make any difference if their is a Wal-Mart in your town or not. I would hope that people aren't coming to Maine to go to places like that. I think that many people come to Maine to enjoy the natural beauty of Maine, whether it is the coast or some remote mountain top. Wal-Marts and other box stores are being built in areas where there is already other commercial development and if it isn't a Wal-Mart, there is likely going to be some other commercial development there.

Personally I try not to shop at the large box stores or eat at chain restaurants, I would rather support smaller local businesses.

firefighterjake
02-28-2006, 09:43 AM

Hopefully northern Maine and downeast Maine will be able to weather the homogenization of this state as Maine becomes like every other state . . . this weekend for example I had my very first buffalo burger at a lodge in Oxbow and I have to tell you I wouldn't trade that experience for a free meal at any of the chain restaurants . . . well maybe I would if it was at the Texas Roadhouse.

Hiram357
02-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Why would it make any difference if their is a Wal-Mart in your town or not. I would hope that people aren't coming to Maine to go to places like that. I think that many people come to Maine to enjoy the natural beauty of Maine, whether it is the coast or some remote mountain top. Wal-Marts and other box stores are being built in areas where there is already other commercial development and if it isn't a Wal-Mart, there is likely going to be some other commercial development there.

Personally I try not to shop at the large box stores or eat at chain restaurants, I would rather support smaller local businesses.

Well look at Augusta... down there on civic center drive... 10 years ago there was nothing down there... now theres almost 300 acres of parking lots and shopping centres. It's not so much the development of the small towns that worries me... it's the over development of the big ones that are going to engulf everything else! the more stuff that gets built, the more people are going to want to live closer... so then you need to build more houses for those people to live closer, then you need to build more stores for them to shop, and places for them to work, and it's an endless cycle of self destruction... and its spreading to places like waterville, and probably mooshead, and even in ellsworth going down Rt 3, all you see are commercial lots up for sale on undeveloped land.

Hiram357
02-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Hopefully northern Maine and downeast Maine will be able to weather the homogenization of this state as Maine becomes like every other state . . . this weekend for example I had my very first buffalo burger at a lodge in Oxbow and I have to tell you I wouldn't trade that experience for a free meal at any of the chain restaurants . . . well maybe I would if it was at the Texas Roadhouse.

Hey, my first job was at a Texass Roadkillhouse.... :D

SewN2Cachin'
03-24-2006, 04:24 AM
:rolleyes: Hey, thanks for posting a "Welcome" section......
I just spent a REALLY long time (at work, ssshhhhh!) reading all the posts here, trying to get an idea of who every1 is......

But I'm not addicted, to the 'net, to learning about ppl, or to geocaching. ;)

Anyway, I only have 10 finds so far. Began in September when a (now ex-) boyfriend introduced me to the sport. It's been getting me outside in the winter, which is saying a lot, because I am a native Mainer but struggle with the winters, usually....Not a big fan of the cold and snow, my apologies to those who are. This past winter has been great for me (at least weather-wise), but I am VERY concerned that these odd winters will continue, what that bodes for the future of the planet, etc.....

But I'm getting ahead of myself......I'm 31, live in Windsor, ME (home of the great FAIR!!) and work for a non-profit agency which runs a house for kids in state custody for abuse and/or neglect (located in Bowdoinham). I can't WAIT to cache some more, in the Brunswick area, now that I've read this section of the site!! My name, "SewN2Cachin' " comes from the ceramic thimbles I like to leave behind in the caches -- I like to crochet and cross-stitch, and I collect these thimbles, they're available most anywhere as a tourist-trap item. Plus, I'm SOOOOO into this new hobby, Sew=So. :)

I live in my childhood home with my Mom, who is quickly becoming a geo-nut herself, and since the name Cachew was taken, TopazCachew is her nickname now, born in November, topaz is her birthstone. She's not really into computers, so I update her account as well as my own on "geocaching.com" ........ I'm looking to get some other friends hooked as well, in Central ME, and in CT. *evil-grin*

I'm impressed with how many firefighters and former military are here!!Thank you all for your service to our country, and/or our towns. The person who introduced me to all this, is a volunteer firefighter/ambulance driver, and I respect the involvement, dedication and time that so many people have in making this system work.

I look forward to meeting up with some of you via e-mail, on the trails or at caching events......BTW, GARMIN RULES, Magellan drools. :p I'm impressed with both the levels of helpfulness and humor found here. Feel free to e-mail me or respond here......

Happy and SAFE caching to you all!

--Renee (AKA SewN2Cachin', formerly serendipity128, and sethsgirl128)

Smitty & Co.
03-24-2006, 07:21 AM
:rolleyes: Hey, thanks for posting a "Welcome" section......
I just spent a REALLY long time (at work, ssshhhhh!) reading all the posts here, trying to get an idea of who every1 is......

But I'm not addicted, to the 'net, to learning about ppl, or to geocaching. ;)

Anyway, I only have 10 finds so far. Began in September when a (now ex-) boyfriend introduced me to the sport. It's been getting me outside in the winter, which is saying a lot, because I am a native Mainer but struggle with the winters, usually....Not a big fan of the cold and snow, my apologies to those who are. This past winter has been great for me (at least weather-wise), but I am VERY concerned that these odd winters will continue, what that bodes for the future of the planet, etc.....

But I'm getting ahead of myself......I'm 31, live in Windsor, ME (home of the great FAIR!!) and work for a non-profit agency which runs a house for kids in state custody for abuse and/or neglect (located in Bowdoinham). I can't WAIT to cache some more, in the Brunswick area, now that I've read this section of the site!! My name, "SewN2Cachin' " comes from the ceramic thimbles I like to leave behind in the caches -- I like to crochet and cross-stitch, and I collect these thimbles, they're available most anywhere as a tourist-trap item. Plus, I'm SOOOOO into this new hobby, Sew=So. :)

I live in my childhood home with my Mom, who is quickly becoming a geo-nut herself, and since the name Cachew was taken, TopazCachew is her nickname now, born in November, topaz is her birthstone. She's not really into computers, so I update her account as well as my own on "geocaching.com" ........ I'm looking to get some other friends hooked as well, in Central ME, and in CT. *evil-grin*

I'm impressed with how many firefighters and former military are here!!Thank you all for your service to our country, and/or our towns. The person who introduced me to all this, is a volunteer firefighter/ambulance driver, and I respect the involvement, dedication and time that so many people have in making this system work.

I look forward to meeting up with some of you via e-mail, on the trails or at caching events......BTW, GARMIN RULES, Magellan drools. :p I'm impressed with both the levels of helpfulness and humor found here. Feel free to e-mail me or respond here......

Happy and SAFE caching to you all!

--Renee (AKA SewN2Cachin', formerly serendipity128, and sethsgirl128)

Welcome Renee!!

Haffy
03-24-2006, 09:14 AM
Welcome Renee to this great addiction. I have met the greatest people since I have been caching and seen the most beautiful areas that this state has to offer and now I can say with my most sincerity that they are some of my most cherished friends. Let's hope you can continue and maybe we can become friends as well. Happy Caching Haffy John Hafenecker

firefighterjake
03-25-2006, 07:09 AM
:rolleyes: BTW, GARMIN RULES, Magellan drools.

And after I gave you that helpful advice you go and do this . . . . :D We Magellan users get no respect. ;)

Hiram357
03-25-2006, 10:51 AM
And after I gave you that helpful advice you go and do this . . . . :D We Magellan users get no respect. ;)

that's not true Jake, Magellan users get respect... THEY JUST CAN'T FIND IT WITH THEIR GPS!! HAHA!!! :p:p:D:D:p:p:D:D

ScruffyMuffy
03-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Hi, I am Muffy (short for Muffin or Alexi) of Scruffy Muffy, Scruffy is my husband. We are pretty new to this, I was introduced by my Mum who worked with a geocacher, so I "borrowed" my Dad's OLD Magellan which gave him an excuse to buy a new one and took off for Belfast. I have been caching in the Waldo County area but we will be moving to Dresden soon as my husband has been transferred. I am trying to get to as many as possible around here until then. I have never had a "hobby" before other than being a book nerd, now I am one of the obsessed.;) I work overnights dispatching for Public Safety so I usually spend the afternoons tooling about in my little Jeep looking for treasure.

Haffy
03-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Great to have you aboard. Looks like you are having a great time caching and look forward to meeting you on the trail or at an event soon. Haffy6

Smitty & Co.
03-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Welcome ScruffyMuffy!! :D

WhereRWe?
03-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Welcome, Scruffy and Muffy. By the way - are you any relation to that other cacher, MadMuffin? LOL!

firefighterjake
03-25-2006, 06:35 PM
that's not true Jake, Magellan users get respect... THEY JUST CAN'T FIND IT WITH THEIR GPS!! HAHA!!! :p:p:D:D:p:p:D:D

Somehow I figured you might come back with some type of remark . . . I know you so well. :)

ScruffyMuffy
03-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Welcome, Scruffy and Muffy. By the way - are you any relation to that other cacher, MadMuffin? LOL!

HMMMM, I don't know but I see MadMuffin is from Farmingdale....Pretty close to Dresden!:)

Quoddy
03-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi...I now live in Bridgewater, New Jersey and plan on retirering late next spring from this area. I spent 20 years in the Air Force as a meteorologist before retiring to civilian life as a transportation supervisor and dispatcher for several companies. For the past seven years I've worked as a dispatcher for an ambulance service, also working as an EMT some nights and weekends. Until recently I volunteered on the local rescue squad.

I decided to join the Maine Geocachers for the following reasons:
Many, many years ago I was conceived at the Long Pond cabins in Livermore.
My mother moved permanently from New Jersey to Livermore, Maine many years ago.
I have spent all my vacations in Maine and the nearby Canadian provinces, both as a child, and since my retirement from the Air Force back in 1980.

...now on to the geocaching:
I've done 75 caches in Maine, so far, and another 45 in the nearby provinces.
I, by far, enjoy the long trek type of caches to spots that I'd never see otherwise. Almost always can be seen caching with the REAL Quoddy. Guess you can tell where one of my favorite places is.

I'll be back in Maine May 19th through Memorial Day (poor timing for events), and am looking forward to continuing some more fun caching. Looking forward to meeting some Maine cachers on the trail.

WhereRWe?
03-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Welcome, Quoddy!

I assume the dog on the pin is your geocaching buddy. I recently met another cacher who had his dog with him on the trail - he was training the dog to find caches! LOL!

Quoddy
03-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Welcome, Quoddy!

I assume the dog on the pin is your geocaching buddy. I recently met another cacher who had his dog with him on the trail - he was training the dog to find caches! LOL!

He's found more than I like to admit. Some cachers, that know me well, deduct those caches from my total.

jeepingirl2
04-02-2006, 01:50 PM
I first found out about geocaching in PocketPC Magazine a couple of years ago. At that time, I did a lot of research about which GPS and which software I would need, but I never bought anything, and it went by the wayside. About a month ago, something hit me, and I told myself that I needed to do it, so here I am, GPS in hand and BeelineGPS on the Ipaq Pocket PC.

I'm a Maine native. I spent some time away when in the military, but was drawn back. I'm an LSW, working full time for Maine Office of Child & Family Services. I'm also a full-time graduate student and single parent of two children, who also love to geocache. Besides massage therapy to destress, geocaching is very therapeutic and makes it easier to see the things I see each day and do the difficult work that I do. There's nothing better than climbing into the Jeep and taking off on a find.

My hobbies include hiking, gardening, jeepin', knitting, reading, antiquin'/junkin', and my pocket pc. My dream would be for Jeep to create a Jeep Geocache Jamboree.

Thanks to firefighterjake for telling me about this website. This is a great place!!!

firefighterjake
04-02-2006, 06:52 PM
I first found out about geocaching in PocketPC Magazine a couple of years ago. At that time, I did a lot of research about which GPS and which software I would need, but I never bought anything, and it went by the wayside. About a month ago, something hit me, and I told myself that I needed to do it, so here I am, GPS in hand and BeelineGPS on the Ipaq Pocket PC.

I'm a Maine native. I spent some time away when in the military, but was drawn back. I'm an LSW, working full time for Maine Office of Child & Family Services. I'm also a full-time graduate student and single parent of two children, who also love to geocache. Besides massage therapy to destress, geocaching is very therapeutic and makes it easier to see the things I see each day and do the difficult work that I do. There's nothing better than climbing into the Jeep and taking off on a find.

My hobbies include hiking, gardening, jeepin', knitting, reading, antiquin'/junkin', and my pocket pc. My dream would be for Jeep to create a Jeep Geocache Jamboree.

Thanks to firefighterjake for telling me about this website. This is a great place!!!

Welcome to the world of geocaching Jeepingirl2 . . . and welcome to the Maine geo-caching forum. There's a lot of good folks here so if you ever have any questions ask away.

Incidentally, last year there was a contest sponsored by Jeep involving geo-caching with folks searching for white jeep travel bugs.

Haffy
04-02-2006, 07:27 PM
And the year before the Yellow Jeep TB, Don't know what color they will be this year.

jeepingirl2
04-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I heard of the Jeep TBs through their website. Since 04 & 05 they now have 10001 of them floating around. Still waiting for this year though.

jeepingirl2
04-02-2006, 07:31 PM
I'm still waiting for Jeep Geocache Jamboree though:)

LaughingTerry
04-02-2006, 08:47 PM
The problem with all those cool Jeep Travel Bugs is that people seem to think they can take them instead of moving them on. Of course that happens to a lot of TBs but it seems to happen to the Jeeps more. Maybe because there are more of the jeeps we notice it more. I met one guy who bragged that he grabbed two at a cache event before they were logged and kept them for keepsakes. *Sheesh*

d’76
04-02-2006, 09:02 PM
The problem with all those cool Jeep Travel Bugs is that people seem to think they can take them instead of moving them on. Of course that happens to a lot of TBs but it seems to happen to the Jeeps more. Maybe because there are more of the jeeps we notice it more. I met one guy who bragged that he grabbed two at a cache event before they were logged and kept them for keepsakes. *Sheesh*

UTOHHHHHH those are fighting words...
The term "sheesh" is Bruces.

:D

Mainiac1957
04-02-2006, 09:13 PM
You just gotta love the Sheesh:p :p :p

WhereRWe?
04-03-2006, 07:13 AM
You just gotta love the Sheesh:p :p :p

I just hope it doesn't end up on one of Attroll's "10 words you can't use in the forums" list! :D :D

(Sheesh! Can't say a THING anymore! LOL!)

coachab
04-07-2006, 11:48 PM
I am a teacher and basketball coach. I have just started geocaching and have yet to successfully find a cache. I have been searching for Run, Forrest, Run to no avail...I'll keep trying. I bought a Meridian Gold last year and am still figuring it out.

becket
04-08-2006, 05:29 AM
welcome! i like your choice of gps! happy caching

firefighterjake
04-08-2006, 07:17 AM
I am a teacher and basketball coach. I have just started geocaching and have yet to successfully find a cache. I have been searching for Run, Forrest, Run to no avail...I'll keep trying. I bought a Meridian Gold last year and am still figuring it out.

Well if you have questions about finding caches or using your GPS this is as good a place as any to ask . . . or you can always attend one of the several up coming events. Folks here are always willing to help out new geocachers . . . and feel free to stop by the chat room on Monday nights at 8 p.m. as this has been set up to help folks new to geocaching.

Kacky
04-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Hang in there Coach! I have yet to find the very first one I looked for, but when you find several others, it takes away some of that frustration. Stick to the ones and twos and you'll start to get a feel for the way peoples' minds work. In Lewiston-Auburn we have a couple of REALLY creative hiders and I am learning a lot just by finding their caches.

ETA I think Gob-ler must have taken off the tinfoil hat for one second this past week, just long enough for me to tune in and find a FOUR, fair and square. Can't buy that kind of fun!

Hiram357
04-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm still waiting for Jeep Geocache Jamboree though:)

I think we should have a Jeep Cach Jamboree up by the Ice Man cache, that was one of my favorite Jeep caches!! :D:D:D

MoxieMan
05-03-2006, 06:09 PM
I just started caching last month. I've found 13 and have placed 3...1 in Maine...GCVAVT.

I'm up in the Sebago area often visiting the in-laws. Maybe see you all on the trails or on the lake this summer.

MoxieMan Dave

MoxieMan
05-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Hang in there Coach! I have yet to find the very first one I looked for, but when you find several others, it takes away some of that frustration. Stick to the ones and twos and you'll start to get a feel for the way peoples' minds work. In Lewiston-Auburn we have a couple of REALLY creative hiders and I am learning a lot just by finding their caches.

ETA I think Gob-ler must have taken off the tinfoil hat for one second this past week, just long enough for me to tune in and find a FOUR, fair and square. Can't buy that kind of fun!

Kacky, check out the caching work Gob-ler did yesterday over by Watertown, NY! :cool: He is the man.

MoxieMan

WhereRWe?
05-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Kacky, check out the caching work Gob-ler did yesterday over by Watertown, NY! :cool: He is the man.

MoxieMan

So... 19 caches in 1 day, 18 of them placed by the same cacher.

Cache names like "Wally World", "Home Depot" and "Lowes". (Sheesh! Who am I to comment! We're going to Rhode Island in 2 weeks! LOL!) :D :D

Mainiac1957
05-03-2006, 07:32 PM
I hit 21 caches with 2 of them DNF's in Maine starting in Dexter and going through Skowhegan down into Brooks and the Unity area. This was before FFJ put all his great caches in the area too. Making them far and few between. Some of them might have been quickies, but at least one was a good climb that day (The Once Frye Mtn tower). But then again it IS all about the numbers, right.:rolleyes:

Haffy
05-03-2006, 11:43 PM
Hey how about the 21 in one day we did up to the county last fall. And they weren't urban micros either....:)

firefighterjake
05-04-2006, 08:18 AM
I hit 21 caches with 2 of them DNF's in Maine starting in Dexter and going through Skowhegan down into Brooks and the Unity area. This was before FFJ put all his great caches in the area too. Making them far and few between. Some of them might have been quickies, but at least one was a good climb that day (The Once Frye Mtn tower). But then again it IS all about the numbers, right.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the compliment . . . it's always nice to hear when someone likes one's caches . . . makes the work of checking coords, building the cache hide, rechecking coords, buying the goodies for the cache, rechecking the coords for a third time and then finding out that you've messed up and have to go back all worth it when you hear something like this.