View Full Version : Riceville, anyone heard of it?

cachecrashers4
07-08-2009, 06:58 PM
A co-worker was telling me about a ghost-town called Riceville somewhere south of Lincoln. He said he has only seen one website with minimal information about it. He asked if I knew of it. I said no, but maybe some of the folks on here might know about it. He is interested in visiting the site. Anyone here know anything about it or know how to get there? :confused:

Haffy
07-08-2009, 07:25 PM
You might want to check out this site. http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/me/me.html

brdad
07-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Sounds like a job for our resident ghost hunter...

Waterski
07-08-2009, 07:47 PM
My google came up with 40 miles southwest of Lincoln. Librarian Mrs. Morrill in Lincoln 794-2765 has some information. It was a tannery town from 1902 until 1907. The last resident that had lived there supposed just died a few years back. Something about finding dead people in the street....The site on google came up maineghosts. Good luck.

Hiram357
07-08-2009, 09:04 PM
ROADTRIP!! I'll go! I call shotgun! :D:D

wait a minute... I get to drive! :D

Trick or Treat
07-08-2009, 09:26 PM
ROADTRIP!! I'll go! I call shotgun! :D:D

wait a minute... I get to drive! :D

I'm there!

Hiram357
07-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm there!

and the plan comes together...

I wonder if there's a bar in Riceville. :rolleyes::D

hollora
07-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Ah - you better wait until Ekidokai gets on here to respond............I think we should all group together for the ride!

squirrelcache
07-08-2009, 10:38 PM
On tonight's chat........I disclosed some research that was done in May, and Ekidokai is reviewing the official/unofficialn content. I'm sure he'll share any and all that's appropriate. It does appear that the area is private property or that permission of some sort is necessary.

drwhogrl
07-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Oh Creepy! Never heard of Riceville!

Ekidokai
07-09-2009, 02:10 AM
For some reason people nowadays call it tannery. It's official name is Riceville. Don't go out there right now. There is a crazy little woman that confronts people with a broken shot gun and a hatchet. Even after you get by little Mehetabel (probably not even close to being spelled right) there isn't much to see.

We have been working on this one for about 10 years. We talked to the last person that lived in the town and that's when the investigation started. After I wrote about it on our website the interest exploded. I don't even remember writing that article up that Haffy linked to. There have been several magazine articles written about it and it’s been in the paper and on the news.

The story goes… back in the early 1900’s the town had over 200 people living and working there with a bunch living around the outskirts. The town consisted of the typical buildings like the Post Office, bar, grocery, and the like. A good sized tannery and mill and they generated their own electricity. A merchant came to town and traded his buffalo hides then left. A week later he returned to find a few dead bodies and everyone gone. It looked like they just left without taking much with them.

What we uncovered was the story was true but there is more. The town was kind of broken up into two sections, miles apart. What happened was there was an explosion at the tannery that took out the mill and several other buildings. In the next few days people were getting sick and cholera was suspected or chemicals from the tannery. People just picked up and left. Because people didn’t stick around with poison and disease every time someone came across the area they saw the mounds of hides that were left around and they might have looked like bodies. They kind of do now.

There really isn’t anything left. The area is grown over and loggers have destroyed anything that was there.

I did place a cache out there as part of a multi, but on our last visit with the reporters something very strange occurred. There is something that is going on out there and we just have to pin it down. Then if we can get help for Mehetabel all will be well and the cache will be listed. It's just a little too strange and creepy right now.

Hiram357
07-09-2009, 06:53 AM
so can we go???? what creepy stuff happend??? inquiring minds want to know :D

masterson of the universe
07-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Sounds like a great opportunity to film some sort of cheezy horror film. I wanna go...Maybe we should bring Spooky Face (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1753718)?

Team V3
07-09-2009, 08:49 AM
I am up for going. May have to carpool as I can not speak for Melissa and Cole. I would like to hear more about this for sure.

hollora
07-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Woo, count me in if it's when I can go.

Team V3
07-09-2009, 09:36 AM
I would rather be confronted with a broken shotgun than a real one. :)

benandtina
07-09-2009, 09:36 AM
This sounds neat! We'd definitely want to go.

attroll
07-09-2009, 10:38 AM
So what time Friday are we heading that way?

Ekidokai
07-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Good lord there is really nothing to see.

07-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Mike knows the crazy lady...how about hosting an event?

Ekidokai
07-09-2009, 10:50 AM
You guys are insane.

Hiram357
07-09-2009, 03:21 PM
You guys are insane.

so what was the creepy thing that happened that you're not telling us about??? :confused::confused::confused::D

07-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Yes, do tell. If there is any sort of probing involved in going out there, I don't think I'll be as interested in going.:confused:

Team V3
07-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Found another link

http://www.wabi.tv/news/5958/a-trip-alongside-ghost-hunters

Team V3
07-09-2009, 05:16 PM
I am very interested. I am also curious who controls the property, other than the crazy lady with the broken shotgun and hatchet. I also respect Ekidokai's opinions, with his background and all. I would certainly respect any private property issues here.

Ekidokai
07-09-2009, 07:23 PM
There are two different owners involved with what was Riceville. We were actually contacted by one of the owners to see if we could find out the story. The other went along easy enough.

It amazes me how much interest there continues to be with this place. Just like the interest in the Torch Run at the Stud Mill Road. The other two ghost towns we are looking into have much more to look at and have better stories.

I have to gather all the media up and put it on the website soon. This caching stuff has been getting in the way.

I'm not being evasive, but after that channel 5 screw up we are a little hesitant to advertise the location. Channel 5 didn't do the story as they told us they would. They left out the whole true story.

The last time we went out there two people that do not sleep walk were drawn out into an area in the woods at different times in the night and then the paths disappeared on a couple of other people. Some other stuff too, but nothing exciting. There seems to still be some activity that we need to take care of before the cache can be activated and we can tell people where it is. It is not easy to get to at all.

cachecrashers4
07-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks to all for their prompt response. I passed the info on to my co-worker. I knew someone here would know something about it.

Team V3
07-10-2009, 07:05 AM
And thank you to Ekidokai for sharing what he feels he is able to. I will wait a bit while this is looked into a little more if it is best for any investigations.

benandtina
07-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Wow, thanks for all the info Ekidokai! The sleepwalking and disappearing paths stuff is creepy... just reading it gave me shivers, lol.