View Full Version : Heli-caching!

dubord207
07-12-2009, 06:35 PM
I have a client that has a helicopter service. He was in my office recently and I mentioned my geocaching hobby. "Any places where I could land the chopper?" Well, I've been thinking about it and I think there's a whole bunch of places where a chopper might be helpful. He doesn't have all that fancy Coast Guard stuff to lower you in so it would have to be places he could land. He was a pilot in Vietnam and says he doesn't need a whole lot of room..just not near power lines.

I can't go this week but think with a little planning this could be fun. I need ideas for heli-caches and two cachers who are fearless!:)

WhereRWe?
07-12-2009, 06:43 PM
He was a pilot in Vietnam and says he doesn't need a whole lot of room..just not near power lines.

Sheesh! I've been in helicopters several times, but was only in one once in Vietnam. Rode "door gunner" on a Huey from Can Tho (in the Mekong Delta) to Saigon. I think the pilot was trying to show the "cherry boy' a thing or two, and scared the bejesus out of me several times. After that, when I had to travel, I declined the opportunity to go on a chopper...

shuman road searchers
07-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Fearless? I am to dumb to have fear!

Mainiac1957
07-12-2009, 07:14 PM
I would go in a helicopter in a heartbeat. I've always wanted to ride in one. Keep me in mind if that happens.:cool:

hide_from_the_kids
07-12-2009, 07:28 PM
ooh, ooh, ooh pick me, pick me. :D:D you know dan i'm married:D that should be enough said. NO FEAR!!!!!:eek::):D

tat
07-12-2009, 07:32 PM
My West Mt. Kenebago cache has a helipad! I'm willing to barter landing fees for a lift! :) Seriously, I have no idea who owns it or why it is there. I don't even know for sure if it is/was intended to be a landing pad. Last time I was there it did seem to be in good repair. And, I live across the street from Auburn airport!

brdad
07-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I always thought it'd be fun to have some outlaw pilot drop us off on Katahdin at 3 Am so we could watch the sun rise and enjoy the morning up there and hike down.

TeamHorwich
07-12-2009, 07:53 PM
I've always wanted to do this one...
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5a7fa052-552a-43d1-8f4f-15f835b7155d

hollora
07-12-2009, 08:05 PM
No lady takers? I'm up for adventure! Will be lowered down or will he land? Oh, and I promise not to fall down!

squirrelcache
07-12-2009, 09:05 PM
I was thinking extreme winter caching.... drop and slide/ski/tumble....what ever works. Just so long as you get caches on the way down. The White Mtns. would be a fun place to put a Winter trail of 5/5s.