View Full Version : Wheelchair Accessible

kayaking loon
07-14-2009, 08:32 AM
I have a question. Whenever I put out a new cache and it's wheelchair accessible, I rate the terrain as a 1. To me that means "wheelchair accessible". But then I get an e-mail back saying something like "If this cache is really wheelchair accessible please add the wheelchair icon to the attributes".

But if you look at the attributes, they are grouped under headings: Permissions (like are dogs allowed); Special equipment (like will you need a boat to get to the cache); Conditions (wading, climbing etc.); Hazards (ticks, snakes, etc.) and last but not least Facilities. And the wheelchair accessible is listed under facilities. Now to me, but maybe to nobody else, that means are there facilities near the cache and are they wheelchair accessible, not that the cache is. It would make more sense to me if the wheelchair icon was under Conditions.....

So if someone is in a wheelchair and I place a cache in the woods and there are no facilities within say 100 miles, do I use the icon? Or is that misleading the person? If they are looking for caches they can find wouldn't they just look for terrain "1" ratings?? :confused:

brdad
07-14-2009, 12:42 PM
I think it's just a borderline bad category to be listed in. Another flaw in our language.

Using your example, would say the "Stroller accessible" attribute implies stroller accessible rest rooms? I don't think most people would.

When you add the wheelchair attribute to your cache and someone holds their mouse over it, no category is given - It simply states "Wheelchair Accessible".

pm28570
07-14-2009, 01:12 PM
I would consider the icon as it implies....accessible by wheelchair. In my mind a 1 terrain would indicate it's wheelchair accessible and a 1.5 with icon showing a cache that is wheelchair accessible but with caution (incline/decline, obstacles, etc). Both you and brdad make valid points. Some cache placers like Hollora (sorry to pick on you LoisAnn) clearly indicate what to expect should it be a borderline accessible cache. I think more of us should and given this discussion will alter the description for mine.
And for those of us who minimize the importance of micros/nanos, GRC/LPC and urban caches, this allows many to enjoy this activitie who might otherwise not be able to.

masterson of the universe
07-14-2009, 01:58 PM
I would also like to recognize Hollora on this matter as she has updated all if not almost all of her cache pages with the rating that links to www.handicaching.com (http://www.handicaching.com). I'd like to think this assists with those who have restrictions that require a little more of a rating clarity. When it comes to hiding an LPC, GRC, or PNG, think about what it would be like if you were sitting in a chair. You might be hiding the cache 5 feet from pavement but is there a curbing or anything that might make it difficult for someone with a chair? Good thread...

hollora
07-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks MOTU - I do like the Handicaching site a lot. No site is perfect but the combination of a few - helps people to make an informed decision. I welcome people to email me if they have accessiblity questions about my caches.

My early years in nursing were working with people who were in wheelchairs. I know what a trip to Cadillac used to be like - must say with awareness things have changed a lot (curb cuts, restrooms and much more). Hopefully we can get more handicapped folks caching.

kayakingloon's question was a good one. I have always used that icon based on could you get the cache from a chair vs. restroom facilities.

kayaking loon
07-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Okay, I'll put the wheelchair icon on although there are no facilities.

brdad
07-14-2009, 05:01 PM
...And for those of us who minimize the importance of micros/nanos, GRC/LPC and urban caches, this allows many to enjoy this activitie who might otherwise not be able to.

I don't want to start a battle here with anyone, I am just making a point, and it is related to Wheelchair caching. Being in a wheelchair does not validate the existence of any container or hiding style. It only validates the existence of proper terrain. Many people in a wheelchair could log an ammo can 30 feet in a tree, as long as there is a rope to lower it and the acess to the base of the tree is of proper terrain. Many GRCs and LPCs are just over curbs, inaccessible to many wheelchair bound cachers, no matter whether there was a micro there or a 5 gallon bucket. And nanos - I have done very few of them where I didn't have to have my neck wrapped around a beam 3 times or hanging upside down off a bridge in order to find it.

Having said that, I will agree it would be hard to hang an ammo can 30 feet in a tree on Main Street in Bangor without causing problems, so that means the smaller caches are more suitable for urban settings, it does not mean the smaller caches are more suitable for wheelchair cachers. There are many wheelchair accessible spots which are not 5 feet from parking. Many parks and trails offer areas that are accessible, many of which could handle other size caches.

I am all for hiding caches for those that can't hike or even walk. But that does not mean they don't deserve some variety in their hunts just like the rest of us. It would be nice if someone hid that ammo can 30 feet in a tree which was wheelchair accessible!

And, I will also applaud hollora for her dedication to this cause.

benandtina
07-14-2009, 05:02 PM
I agree that I think just having the icon would imply that the cache is accessible and nothing else.

I think it's great that people are so considerate about this. I want to take my parents caching when we go visit them this winter and knowing which caches are accessible will be extremely valuable to us. My dad has a very bad knee (he has needed knee replacement surgery for the past 2 years but is too scared) and walking distances or on uneven ground is difficult for him. It will be nice being able to plan a day where we know we are visiting caches that will work out for him.

tat
07-14-2009, 06:07 PM
The icon and the 1 rating are intended to be used by handicapped cacher to aid in searching for caches.

The simplest way to search for caches is to go to the geocaching.com home page enter your zip code and search. If the second rating is a 1, the cacher can look at that cache and see if it is of interest and decide if it is within their capability.

Premium members can search using icons. The handicapped icon lets handicapped cachers can search for caches they might want to find. Again, cachers, handicapped or not decide which caches are of interest.

If a cache has a 1 terrain rating, it should also have the handicapped icon. If you think handicapped cachers should consider seeking your cache, use the 1 rating and handicapped accessible icon. Otherwise, the terrain rating should be greater than 1.

dubord207
07-14-2009, 08:10 PM
This issue has played large on my mind and temperment since I started caching. I have a friend who fell out a tree stand about 15 years ago. He was a c-6, c-7 burst fracture and is confined to a wheelchair. He's been caching for about a year now after I intnroduced it to him. He doesn't post, just shares his logs with me and one other cacher...wants to remain ingognito as he puts it.

I have made many comments to cache placers who call the terrain a "1" when I envision I clearly couldn't get the cache if I was in a chair. Many cache placers don't even respond, one deleted my find log after I pointed out a wheelchair person couldn't possibly get over the 20 odd blown down trees leading to the cache.

So I say it's very simple: Could YOU get to the cache in a wheelchair? If so call it a "1" and add the wheelchair attribute...period. If it's questionable, mention that in your description..."Might be tough for somebody confined to a wheelchair." If you can't imagine a person in a chair getting to the cache, please, please, please, make it a 1.5. It's the only right thing to do.

pm28570
07-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Good post and valid points.

I don't want to start a battle here with anyone, I am just making a point, and it is related to Wheelchair caching. Being in a wheelchair does not validate the existence of any container or hiding style. It only validates the existence of proper terrain. Many people in a wheelchair could log an ammo can 30 feet in a tree, as long as there is a rope to lower it and the acess to the base of the tree is of proper terrain. Many GRCs and LPCs are just over curbs, inaccessible to many wheelchair bound cachers, no matter whether there was a micro there or a 5 gallon bucket. And nanos - I have done very few of them where I didn't have to have my neck wrapped around a beam 3 times or hanging upside down off a bridge in order to find it.

Having said that, I will agree it would be hard to hang an ammo can 30 feet in a tree on Main Street in Bangor without causing problems, so that means the smaller caches are more suitable for urban settings, it does not mean the smaller caches are more suitable for wheelchair cachers. There are many wheelchair accessible spots which are not 5 feet from parking. Many parks and trails offer areas that are accessible, many of which could handle other size caches.

I am all for hiding caches for those that can't hike or even walk. But that does not mean they don't deserve some variety in their hunts just like the rest of us. It would be nice if someone hid that ammo can 30 feet in a tree which was wheelchair accessible!

And, I will also applaud hollora for her dedication to this cause.

hollora
07-15-2009, 10:36 PM
So I say it's very simple: Could YOU get to the cache in a wheelchair? If so call it a "1" and add the wheelchair attribute...period. If it's questionable, mention that in your description..."Might be tough for somebody confined to a wheelchair." If you can't imagine a person in a chair getting to the cache, please, please, please, make it a 1.5. It's the only right thing to do.

Dan has said it well here and BRDad's points are very valid!! As a proponent for the wheelchair confined - should all their caches just be GRC or accessible nanos/micros - absolutely not! If you have a place, where an Ammo can might be accessible via wheelchair - I challenge you to do it - where you can put one - accessible in a tree with perhap a rope hoist and accessible by wheelchair on the trail - please do it.

One thing about this sport is that it should be able to be done by folks of varying abilities. So - cache on, cache happy........remember those who are handicapped and perhaps wheelchair confinded. Rate your caches honestly.

squirrelcache
07-16-2009, 10:07 AM
I have to laugh...... I've seen negative posts on here and in logs by folks that get so upset by the lame caches. I so want to slap them upside the head w/a reminder, or two! One...if you're able to get to the cache and write a log...you can read. Don't do them if you don't like them. Two...you can complain about people's numbers.... even the easy ones take time/resources. I've had far more challenge finding 1.5s overall, than any other cache!! Three.....you better hope You never have to rely on easy caches. Shoe leather isn't all that tastey ;) Four....put your actions where your mouth is.... come up w/some Creative and challenging caches w/a 1 terrain.

TRF
07-16-2009, 12:16 PM
I would like to hear some input from person in a wheelchair. I'm hearing lots of assumptions from people who imagine themselves in a chair. Firstly, and speaking for myself, I'm not sure I could even "operate" a wheelchair up a long, steady incline. So to sit there and imply that I couldn't reach a cache from a sitting position is implying that someone who is accustomed and acclimated to a chair couldn't. That would be shortsighted and implying somekind of special empathatic power that I simply don't have. I've seen paraplegics navigate stairs in their homes with no issue or complaint.

I think that an honest description of the cache site is what we owe to every cacher not just those that some individuals consider "disadvantaged." I think most parapylegics can read too so the icon isn't so much a tool as it is a "filler." Lets face it, not putting the tick icon on a cache page doesn't make me so confident that I'd consider the area tick free or not keep my eyes open for poison ivy. Those attributes are well intended but not absolutes. In my limited acquaintances with parapylegics and 25 years in the field have kind of led me to believe that most paraplegics aren't asking for sympathy or special consideration just simple common decency that we would normally show to anyone else.

I personally won't get hung up on "wheelchair accessible" icon or not but I will make every effort to accurately describe to everyone what they will encounter when they get to one of my caches.

hollora
07-16-2009, 09:08 PM
The icon does help in filtering on PQs. That is why I believe GC.com just emphasized usings icons in their weekly message.

TRF - you are very correct - paras, quads, etc. just go on and do as they can - many driving cars, climbing stairs, playing ball and even having babies. And as for my perspective, I learned/earned it as part of my training required living in a chair for a given period of time. Nursing school was much different 40 years ago - believe me.

We are all at the mercy of a well written cache page which divulges the "good, the bad and the ugly" so to speak. TRF you are right on here - write good pages (which you do and thank you) - it makes a World of difference.